F1 Challenge '99-'02

The place for alternate championships that use real results as a base of forming alternative results, driver careers, and games in general
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: My F1 Challenge career/general F1C discussion

Post by FullMetalJack »

Wizzie wrote:
tommykl wrote:
pasta_maldonado wrote:I once won the Brazilian Grand Prix in a Prost. Everyone else did retire though!

I once got Howden Ganley to win a race :P

Christian Klien won the first race I did in my career (Only because I spent most of the race holding people up in the Melrose Express :lol: )

Jean Alesi was 1991 World Champion in my career. I win!
I like the way Snrub thinks!
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

HWNSNBM has scored several points in my career so far. So I win! ;)
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

F1Rejects fictional drivers are hardly ever pictured, but I decided to make an exception. So here's a promo card for Sophie Fabron, complete with a signature. Note that in the storyline it went to the print before the first GP, therefore she has no stats listed.

Last edited by Nuppiz on 04 Aug 2012, 15:07, edited 1 time in total.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Nuppiz, isn't her portait a picture from GPM2? Just a guess. :)

My own drivers are also pictured, using FaceMaker (google it).
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

FMecha wrote:Nuppiz, isn't her portait a picture from GPM2? Just a guess. :)

Yeah, I just resized and mirrored it, then recolored her racing overalls to match AGS' 1989 colors and edited the Sparco logo so that it's still the right way around. And then I changed her helmet, visor sponsor and the sides of the car so that they have the French flag and "S. Fabron" on them.
Here's a closeup of her face and helmet:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

AdrianSutil wrote:HWNSNBM has scored several points in my career so far. So I win! ;)

Nope. Nothing tops that 1991 Jean Alesi world title in redbulljack's career. We all know HWNSNBM would've won the title in that Minardi if he hadn't spent the year coming up with various race conditions to make it actually a challenge for him.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Sophie Fabron wrote:I'm speechless! The car seemed to fit the track and my driving style perfectly, and I was amazed to hear that I had improved my best time of the weekend by almost four seconds! And then I, and everyone else in our pits burst into tears of joy as it turned out to be good for pole position! Of course, we were also happy to see Tarquini being not far off the pace.

I must now be able to fully concentrate on the race tomorrow and not let this amazing result make me think that I'm invincible.

Results - Qualifying session 2 for the 1989 San Marino Grand Prix

Pos.|Driver|Team||Best Lap|Gap

1. Sophie Fabron AGS-Ford 1:24.348
2. Ayrton Senna McLaren-Honda 1:24.978 +0.630
3. Alain Prost Mclaren Honda 1:25.083 +0.735
20. Gabriele Tarquini AGS-Ford 1:26.925 +2.577
26. Michele Alboreto Lola-Lamborghini 1:35.706 +11.358

I believe the car balance in this mod is way off, as I don't think that I'm that good at setting up the car & driving it. But as you can see from the times of other cars, I didn't drive this on an easy difficulty - that was at 110%.
Last edited by Nuppiz on 05 Aug 2012, 18:49, edited 3 times in total.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

I don't think Aryton Senna will be too happy that some unknown French girl in an AGS took pole position :lol:
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Ferrarist

Post by Ferrarist »

Nuppiz wrote:
Sophie Fabron wrote:I'm speechless! The car seemed to fit the track and my driving style perfectly, and I was amazed to hear that I had improved my best time of the weekend by almost two seconds! And then I, and everyone else in our pits burst into tears of joy as it turned out to be a pole position time! Of course, we weren't that happy to see Tarquini being so far off the pace, but this is his first weekend in the car so that's maybe why he is struggling.

I must now be able to fully concentrate on the race tomorrow and not let this amazing result make me think that I'm invincible.

Results - Qualifying session 2 for the 1989 San Marino Grand Prix

1. Sophie Fabron AGS-Ford 1:26.213
2. Ayrton Senna McLaren-Honda 1:26.299 +0.086
3. Alain Prost McLaren-Honda 1:26.833 +0.620
26. Gabriele Tarquini AGS-Ford 1:32.630 +6.417

I believe the car balance in this mod is way off, as I don't think that I'm that good at setting up the car & driving it. But as you can see from the times of the McLaren cars, I didn't drive this on an easy difficulty - that was still at 100%.

Are you using a wheelpad, joypad or keyboard? Quite honestly, I don't think one could achieve such times with a keyboard. ;)
MIA SAN MIA!
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Ferrarist wrote:Are you using a wheelpad, joypad or keyboard? Quite honestly, I don't think one could achieve such times with a keyboard. ;)

Nope, still running with a keyboard. :) Believe I was stunned myself on how good my time was, but then as I watched the AI drivr I noticed why: I drove very wildly over the kerbs, practically on the very limits of the track, while the AI didn't use the kerbs at all.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Nuppiz wrote:
Ferrarist wrote:Are you using a wheelpad, joypad or keyboard? Quite honestly, I don't think one could achieve such times with a keyboard. ;)

Nope, still running with a keyboard. :) Believe I was stunned myself on how good my time was, but then as I watched the AI drivr I noticed why: I drove very wildly over the kerbs, practically on the very limits of the track, while the AI didn't use the kerbs at all.

Wing the difficulty up to 110% ;)

Whenever I find the time to do a race on mine, I often adjust the difficulty because of weird results like this, so it will vary from circuit to circuit depending on how strong I am, so sometimes it'll be over 100%, sometimes lower. Over the course of the season, the range is probably something around 93-106% for me.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

AndreaModa wrote:Wing the difficulty up to 110% ;)

Whenever I find the time to do a race on mine, I often adjust the difficulty because of weird results like this, so it will vary from circuit to circuit depending on how strong I am, so sometimes it'll be over 100%, sometimes lower. Over the course of the season, the range is probably something around 93-106% for me.

Yeah, in the future I probably have to do this if it looks like I'm going too fast compared to others. Won't be doing it for this race as I've already started it (currently on lap 3, still leading over Prost).
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Oh frack, the game CTDed as I tried to call for a pitstop. :(

Looks like I need to run it again (both quali and the race), and I'll change the settings to more difficult at the same time as well.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Right, reran qualifying with 110% difficulty, so I'm no longer in pole position.

E: CTDed again!
Last edited by Nuppiz on 05 Aug 2012, 18:21, edited 1 time in total.
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

I don't know of a single pre-1995 San Marino track that doesn't have a problem with the pitstops; I fear you might have to skip that race. I believe you will find problems at Monaco as well -the default AIW file makes the cars crash against the barriers all the time; there's a nice one around which fixes that problem, but then the AI cars are too conservative instead, and lap very slowly (and make a big trouble of getting past the backmarkers).

BTW, I have pretty complete 1999-01 .GDB files with real pitstop strategies (or as close as possible) for all the drivers, as well as some races from other seasons from 1994 onwards. Of course it is very early for that, but I thought you might be interested on them.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Found a solution around it - I dropped the pitcrew animation detail to low, and now it no longer CTDs. So once again I'll have to rerun qualifying...

Ferrim, that sounds interesting! Please send them my way, I prefer more realism in the future seasons.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Right, ran qualifying again, and I was so pissed off at having to drive yet again that I got pole position again with an utterly unrealistic time. :lol:
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Results - 1989 San Marino GP

Fastest lap: Sophie Fabron, 1:25.628 on lap 26

Sophie Fabron wrote:Of course I am happy to win in only my second race ever, and not only that but I took the Grand Chelem as well! However, I must thank my luck that I managed to keep so many good drivers behind me. First I was threatened by Senna, who eventually ran wide at Tosa and then collided with Mansell when rejoining the track; Senna managed to limp to the pits and eventually grabbed the last point, but Mansell's race was over. Then I was chased by Berger, who really pushed me hard and many times nearly got past, but apparently he destroyed his tyres in the process and went into the barriers at Piratella. From then on I was chased by Prost, and it looked like there would be a French 1-2 before his suspension failed with just a couple of laps left. The second place was briefly inherited by Brundle until he too slipped on worn tyres and had to retire. With the Williamses having self-destructed a few laps earlier, this meant that the Larrousse duo got second and third. But they were too far back to threaten me so I could cruise to an easy victory, and with Alliot 2nd we got the French 1-2 after all, and Grouillard added to the great day by being 4th. The hard tyres lasted well throughout the entire race so I didn't even need to pit! And what's even better, me and my team now lead both championships!

Driver's championship standings
1. Sophie Fabron 13
2. Christian Danner 9
3. Andrea de Cesaris 6
== Philippe Alliot 6
5. Michele Alboreto 4
6. Roberto Moreno 3
== Olivier Grouillard 3
8. Eddie Cheever 2
9. Ayrton Senna 1

Constructor's championship standings
1. AGS-Ford 13
2. Lola-Lamborghini 10
3. Rial-Ford 9
4. Dallara-Ford 6
5. Coloni-Ford 3
6. Arrows-Ford 2
7. McLaren-Honda 1

ROTR: Williams. Both crashed out from points-scoring positions.
Last edited by Nuppiz on 08 Aug 2012, 19:39, edited 1 time in total.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Stop it. You're making me look like shite :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Wizzie wrote:Stop it. You're making me look like shite :lol:

So I should start driving slower, even though the difficulty is already cranked to near-maximum and I'm still winning in a bloody AGS? Nah. :lol:
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Go Sophie! AGS is bossing the season so far.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Shizuka wrote:Go Sophie! AGS is bossing the season so far.

Well the next round is in Monaco, so anything can happen there!
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

I don't always like Monaco in racing series, but when I do, it's throwing up epic results.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Has anyone else noticed Mauricio Gugelmin 56 laps down? :lol:
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

pasta_maldonado wrote:Has anyone else noticed Mauricio Gugelmin 56 laps down? :lol:

That was caused by a glitch: he crashed out on the opening laps, but went over the barriers on non-solid ground and the car fell indefinitely in the vast nothingness. And as long as his car was moving (it was doing almost 400 km/h at best!), the game couldn't consider him retired. :lol:
Last edited by Nuppiz on 08 Aug 2012, 19:40, edited 1 time in total.
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

Just a quick question; what driving aids are you using?
Tread lightly in ARWS. Every decision might be your last.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Aerond wrote:Just a quick question; what driving aids are you using?

Traction and stability controls, steering help (makes sure I don't steer the wheels too much) and ABS. It's quite much but it's impossible to drive effectively on the keyboard with less aids, at least for me.
Ferrarist

Post by Ferrarist »

Just out of curiousity: Have you tried the 1995 version of Imola? Maybe this one will put out more realistically results?
MIA SAN MIA!
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

Nuppiz wrote:
Aerond wrote:Just a quick question; what driving aids are you using?

Traction and stability controls, steering help (makes sure I don't steer the wheels too much) and ABS. It's quite much but it's impossible to drive effectively on the keyboard with less aids, at least for me.

I understand the use of traction with keyboard, but that is effectively giving you massive advantage; I´ve been trying the mod in the last few days and driving only with opposite lock, and achieving the lap times you´re doing is almost impossible (haven´t tried the AGS, but done with slow cars like the Coloni and the Onyx). The cars are quite easy to drive, but you have to be conservative when exiting the slow corners.
Tread lightly in ARWS. Every decision might be your last.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Ferrarist wrote:Just out of curiousity: Have you tried the 1995 version of Imola? Maybe this one will put out more realistically results?

Yeah, there'd probably be less accidents but I believe I'd still be quite fast, as that merely adds two more corners where I can gain advantage. I'll test it when I have the time, currently multitasking by watching a Judas Priest DVD, chatting with a friend on Facebook about MineCraft, browsing this forum and running the RoLFS tests. :lol:

Aerond wrote:I understand the use of traction with keyboard, but that is effectively giving you massive advantage; I´ve been trying the mod in the last few days and driving only with opposite lock, and achieving the lap times you´re doing is almost impossible (haven´t tried the AGS, but done with slow cars like the Coloni and the Onyx). The cars are quite easy to drive, but you have to be conservative when exiting the slow corners.

Admittedly it is giving me a big advantage, but it also depends on the track. In Jacarepagua, my dry weather times were so slow that I would've barely prequalified, while here I had no trouble at all doing 1:27 and 1:28 laps. The laps ranging from 1:24 to 1:26 were done on the absolute limits of the car and the track with massive kerb hopping. In real life the car's suspension would've probably broken down in a matter of a few laps.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

So, I tried to go through Imola without traction control, but never got past Tosa without spinning. And when I tried to use the 1995 configuration in the 1989 Mod, the game crashed.

Onto the next round:

Results - Prequalifying for the 1989 Monaco Grand Prix

1. Piercarlo Ghinzani Osella-Ford 1:28.340
2. Martin Brundle Brabham-Judd 1:28.576 +0.236
3. Sophie Fabron AGS-Ford 1:29.052 +0.711
4. Alex Caffi Dallara-Ford 1:29.132 +0.792
5. Volker Weidler Rial-Ford 1:29.339 +0.999
6. Gregor Foitek EuroBrun-Judd 1:30.093 +1.753
7. Stefan Johansson Onyx-Ford 1:30.377 +2.037
8. Aguri Suzuki Zakspeed-Yamaha 1:30.770 +2.430
9. Nicola Larini Osella-Ford 1:30.812 +2.472
10. Stefano Modena Brabham-Judd 1:30.878 +2.538
11. Bertrand Gachot Onyx-Ford 1:31.195 +2.855
12. Pierre-Henri Raphanel Coloni-Ford 1:31.386 +3.046
13. Bernd Schneider Zakspeed-Yamaha 1:31.409 +3.069

Sophie Fabron wrote:This prequalifying wasn't as easy as the previous one. The track was wet for the entire hour, so everyone struggled to find grip. But, I still managed to go through and will continue into the main session.
Ferrarist

Post by Ferrarist »

Nuppiz wrote:So, I tried to go through Imola without traction control, but never got past Tosa without spinning. And when I tried to use the 1995 configuration in the 1989 Mod, the game crashed.

Try making the 1st gear much longer, so you won't spin out.
MIA SAN MIA!
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Results - Qualifying session 1 for the 1989 Monaco Grand Prix

1. Ayrton Senna McLaren-Honda 1:21.489
2. Alain Prost McLaren-Honda 1:21.556 +0.067
3. Riccardo Patrese Williams-Renault 1:23.073 +1.584
4. Gerhard Berger Ferrari 1:23.574 +2.085
5. Piercarlo Ghinzani Osella-Ford 1:23.861 +2.372 :shock:
17. Gabriele Tarquini AGS-Ford 1:25.576 +4.087
18. Sophie Fabron AGS-Ford 1:26.013 +4.524
19. Jonathan Palmer Tyrrell-Ford 1:26.752 +5.263
27. Rene Arnoux Ligier-Ford 1:30.800 +9.311
28. Christian Danner Rial-Ford 1:32.280 +10.791
29. Roberto Moreno Coloni-Ford 1:32.344 +10.855
30. Eddie Cheever Arrows-Ford 1:33.522 +12.033

Sophie Fabron wrote:Any advantage I had at Imola was now gone, and I had no chance to threaten the top positions. I was even half a second behind my team mate, but luckily no-one got between us. The talk of the day was Ghinzani's impressive performance in the Osella which prequalified for the first time this season, and is looking surprisingly stron in the main qualifying as well. Arnoux wasn't last this time, but that's a third DNQ for him in a row... I actually chatted with him after the session and he said that he was not driving for positions, just for fun. Well, if DNQing constantly is your idea of fun, then maybe...
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Results - Qualifying session 2 for the 1989 Monaco Grand Prix

1. Alain Prost McLaren-Honda 1:24.897
2. Ayrton Senna McLaren-Honda 1:25.046 +0.149
3. Martin Brundle Brabham-Judd 1:26.038 +1.141
4. Riccardo Patrese Williams-Renault 1:26.058 +1.161
5. Pierluigi Martini Minardi-Ford 1:26.126 +1.229 :shock:
9. Alessandro Nannini Benetton-Ford 1:26.243 +1.346
10. Sophie Fabron AGS-Ford 1:26.440 +1.543
11. Emanuele Pirro Benetton-Ford 1:26.492 +1.595
20. Gerhard Berger Ferrari 1:27.259 +2.362 :shock:
21. Gabriele Tarquini AGS-Ford 1:27.509 +2.612
22. Luis Perez-Sala Minardi-Ford 1:27.604 +2.707
23. Nigel Mansell Ferrari 1:27.898 +3.001 :shock:
24. Derek Warwick Arrows-Ford 1:28.461 +3.564
25. Piercarlo Ghinzani Osella-Ford 1:28.634 +3.737
26. Olivier Grouillard Ligier-Ford 1:28.885 +3.988

Sophie Fabron wrote:The second qualifying session saw a slightly wet track after a short rain hit the track in the morning, so the times were different than before. However, my setup seemed to fit the conditions well and I managed to climb quite high in the grid, sandwiched between the two Benettons. Pierluigi Martini surprised with 5th while Ferrari had a very disappointing session, Berger 20th and Mansell 23rd.
Last edited by Nuppiz on 08 Aug 2012, 12:54, edited 1 time in total.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Yeah, have to rerun this with less aggression... by lap 5 everyone else but me were out of the race!
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Nuppiz wrote:Yeah, have to rerun this with less aggression... by lap 5 everyone else but me were out of the race!

My reactions to this statement: :shock: :? :lol:

But,then again,this is Monaco...
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Am I the only person that noticed that Ms. Fabron is doing a McKane? :shock:
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

FMecha wrote:Am I the only person that noticed that Ms. Fabron is doing a McKane? :shock:

I'm expecting a storyline where she is married to HWNSNBM and therefore inherited some of his godliness. :lol:
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

pasta_maldonado wrote:
FMecha wrote:Am I the only person that noticed that Ms. Fabron is doing a McKane? :shock:

I'm expecting a storyline where she is married to HWNSNBM and therefore inherited some of his godliness. :lol:

CONSPIRACY! :evil: Theorists, stand up.

:P :lol: :roll:
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

pasta_maldonado wrote:

Ermm, nope :lol:

Reducing the difficulty a bit and halving the damage effectiveness seems to have worked for reducing attrition to tolerable levels. New qualifying results are here: viewtopic.php?p=172958#p172958