The Ali Dia Football/Soccer Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: The Ali Dia Football/Soccer Thread

Post by DanielPT »

Miguel98 wrote:Cried like a small baby. Incredible feeling. Aleluia!

A truly unbelievable feeling! Now, it's party time! :dance:
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Let's not forget the real important stuff: Gibraltar's teams in European competition Lincoln Red Imps and Europa FC are blitzing the opposition! Both survived their first qualifying round, and in the second qualifying round, Lincoln beat none other than Celtic on home soil :D They're stil likely to get a defeat in the return game, but its a good indication of just how deep Scottish football have fallen. Gibraltar has now overtaken Andorra and San Marino in the country coefficient ranking :P
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

This wrote:Let's not forget the real important stuff: Gibraltar's teams in European competition Lincoln Red Imps and Europa FC are blitzing the opposition! Both survived their first qualifying round, and in the second qualifying round, Lincoln beat none other than Celtic on home soil :D They're stil likely to get a defeat in the return game, but its a good indication of just how deep Scottish football have fallen. Gibraltar has now overtaken Andorra and San Marino in the country coefficient ranking :P

That's the Brendan Rodgers effect for you.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

I predict that "The Special One" (sic) will make David Moyes look like Johan Cruyff, and, of course, will get sacked before boxing day
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

I predict East Stirlingshire will continue to take the walloping in the Lowland League that they've become used to over the last decade or so in the Scottish Third Division.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Today I take a look in the CAF qualify groups for world cup. Group B: Nigeria, Cameroon, Algeria and Zambia. Just one is going to qualify to world cup. Talk about a death group!
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Dj_bereta wrote:Today I take a look in the CAF qualify groups for world cup. Group B: Nigeria, Cameroon, Algeria and Zambia. Just one is going to qualify to world cup. Talk about a death group!

Easily the hardest group! I think Algeria have the firepower but Nigeria have the know how. Zambia have underperformed since their AFCON triumph and Cameroon have been poor for a few years.

Group A on the other hand has Tunisia, Libya, DR Congo and Guinea. So 3 teams that have never qualified for a World Cup and one other mediocre team in the form of Tunisia. I think DR Congo might take it.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

dinizintheoven wrote:I predict East Stirlingshire will continue to take the walloping in the Lowland League that they've become used to over the last decade or so in the Scottish Third Division.

It can't be as bad as before, I highly doubt they'll finish with as few as 8 points, but you could be right.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
EuroBrun

Post by EuroBrun »

This wrote:Let's not forget the real important stuff: Gibraltar's teams in European competition Lincoln Red Imps and Europa FC are blitzing the opposition! Both survived their first qualifying round, and in the second qualifying round, Lincoln beat none other than Celtic on home soil :D They're stil likely to get a defeat in the return game, but its a good indication of just how deep Scottish football have fallen. Gibraltar has now overtaken Andorra and San Marino in the country coefficient ranking :P

Being born in one of those countries (or whatever status Gibraltar has) should be amazing: even a normal person could be national champion and play in UCL or in the national team :shock:
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

So... 3rd round CL Qualifier 2nd leg.

Dundalk (semi-Professional team who nearly went out of business 4 years ago, from a nation who've never had one of their teams in the group stages) vs. BATE Borisov (fully professional team who've been in the group stages of the Champions League 4 times in a row). And BATE have a 1-0 lead from the first leg.

Foregone conclusion right?

Wrong:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngM3kyE2EDI
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Enforcer wrote:So... 3rd round CL Qualifier 2nd leg.

Dundalk (semi-Professional team who nearly went out of business 4 years ago, from a nation who've never had one of their teams in the group stages) vs. BATE Borisov (fully professional team who've been in the group stages of the Champions League 4 times in a row). And BATE have a 1-0 lead from the first leg.

Foregone conclusion right?

Wrong:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngM3kyE2EDI

Nice by them, that means they're certain of Europa League group phase (only the second irish team to manageso). But you never know, if they have to face for example Celtic, they might even make it to the Champions League :D
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

This wrote:Nice by them, that means they're certain of Europa League group phase (only the second irish team to manageso). But you never know, if they have to face for example Celtic, they might even make it to the Champions League :D

I'm looking at the potential opponents and none of them are better than BATE Borisov. Proper chance here. Then again, Dundalk weren't supposed supposed to be better than BATE either, but they were last night.

I certainly expect Stephen Kenny to show up Rodgers' tactical ineptness if they draw Celtic.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

So Dundalk have drawn Legia Warsaw. Seeding structure means they will play at home first unfortunately and I don't think that defending a lead (if they have one from the home leg) will be easier, better to be chasing the game. But here's to hoping and either way, they'll remain in European competition whatever the result!

Also, I think it would be hilarious if Manchester City were to fail to qualify for the Champions League group stage, what with Guardiola being considered the continent's best manager. English teams have always made it through though; the last failure I can think of was Everton mid-noughties.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

watka wrote:So Dundalk have drawn Legia Warsaw. Seeding structure means they will play at home first unfortunately and I don't think that defending a lead (if they have one from the home leg) will be easier, better to be chasing the game. But here's to hoping and either way, they'll remain in European competition whatever the result!

Legia Warschau now has Hasi as trainer. And if yo looked at the system Anderlecht plated in during his time... you'll indeed find out there was nothing but randomness.That guy's not tactical master. Go Dundalk!

On our new national trainer: meh Shoul've been better,coul've been worst. Everyone gets the teeling of 'let's not spend too much on this guy and dump him when Preud'Homme is ready'.
AdrianBelmonte_

This wrote:On our new national trainer: meh Shoul've been better,coul've been worst. Everyone gets the teeling of 'let's not spend too much on this guy and dump him when Preud'Homme is ready'.

Still better than ours :roll:
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Well, on the first leg of division 1B, we had this situation that every single team drew. :roll: It's only 8 teams, but still. I find this division already more interesting than 1A.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Deja Vu in the Rio Olympics. Brazil drew with Iraq (0-0) and now needs to defeat Denmark to qualify and avoid another shame in this year (after getting eliminated by Peru in the Copa América). 0 goals in 180 minutes against two reject teams (South Africa and Iraq).
EuroBrun

Post by EuroBrun »

Is anyone of you excited about the new Champions' League format?
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

EuroBrun wrote:Is anyone of you excited about the new Champions' League format?

What's new about the format, then?
EuroBrun

Post by EuroBrun »

This wrote:

What I heard from the news.

- team allocation: 16 clubs for the 4 top League, with qualified teams determined also on clubs' recent history; 3 or 4 league with two teams, 5 leagues with one team and the remaining determined with playoffs.

- knockout phase: in the last-16 group winners won't necessarily face runner-ups, but the 8 team with the best UEFA Club coefficient will be seeded and will face one of the "unseeded" teams.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

If i interpret this correctly, it's mostly the subtop countries suffering from this and the top country teams benefitting from it, whilst for the smaller countries, nothing changes.
Can't see what's exciting about seeing more big clubs. The amount of people who want to see more clubs is vastly overrated. Even the media is already largely ignoring the latter stages of the CL, so this is only going to worsen.
Also using seeding is another way of protecting the big teams against a potential upset from smaller teams and a way to avoid randomness.

Commercial lesson #1 people need their own team to be there or to have a realistic chance to be there in order to be able to relate to the championship. Alienating clubs who are good enough by not giving them a chance to be there is counter-productive on the long term.
My counter suggestion would be enlarging the amount of teams to 40 or even 48 (5 or 6 teams poules). This would give us a few more countries and not give us a shitload of crap teams, because you only start to find crap teams outside of the top 30 of the EUFA-ranking. Another thing i'd probably suggest is: more teams in CL equals less teams in EL.

The information i could find on it seems to suggest it's more of an idea that the big 4 country leagues suggested, rather than an official proposition. I can't imagine that leagues like France or Russia are just going to let this happen, as they would hugely suffer from this reforms.
AdrianBelmonte_

So Jürgen Klopp's signings on the whole summer got exposed... in only 45 minutes... by Arsenal... well done, Kloppo :facepalm:
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

EuroBrun wrote:
This wrote:

What I heard from the news.

- team allocation: 16 clubs for the 4 top League, with qualified teams determined also on clubs' recent history; 3 or 4 league with two teams, 5 leagues with one team and the remaining determined with playoffs.

- knockout phase: in the last-16 group winners won't necessarily face runner-ups, but the 8 team with the best UEFA Club coefficient will be seeded and will face one of the "unseeded" teams.

I will call this "the Leicester City rule".
EuroBrun

Post by EuroBrun »

Pep Guardiola on tonight's game: "We are going to try to score goals and try to convince the players how important it is to play in the Champions League and how beautiful it is and we are going to try and win it"
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Brazil vs Germany in the finals of Rio Olympics 2016. The repeat of story from 2014 world cup in Brazil. Like in that year, the German team defeated Portugal by 4-0 and the Brazilian team defeated Colombia in the quarterfinals. We will see another 7x1 or the Brazilian team will finally redeem itself?
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Meanwhile, there's a mass boycott of the EFL Trophy taking place tonight, with fans up in arms at the fact that Premiership/Championship B teams have been allowed into the competition. Plenty of tweets tonight showing empty grounds.

The whole competition looks totally farcical, surely they're gonna have to change back to the old format.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

East Londoner wrote:Meanwhile, there's a mass boycott of the EFL Trophy taking place tonight, with fans up in arms at the fact that Premiership/Championship B teams have been allowed into the competition. Plenty of tweets tonight showing empty grounds.

The whole competition looks totally farcical, surely they're gonna have to change back to the old format.

Another reason to be eternally grateful for Paul Caddis saving us from relegation to League 1.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Gold Medal and now an outstanding victory against Ecuador by 3x0. Looks like the Brazilian team is back to the business and looks like Tite is the real deal.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

The Socceroos beat Iraq 2-nil just before. Good.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Belgium disentigrating even further - still better than the Netherlands though :D

Transferperiod in JPL basically been 'let's sell all the players!'
tBone

Post by tBone »

This wrote:[...] still better than the Netherlands though :D

:(

It is unbelievable that this squad made it to the World Cup finals 2 years ago...
YOUR
LOGO

Here
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Netherlands will qualify to world cup. Sweden without Ibra is nothing. In other hand, I'm wondering if Japan will qualify, after losing in home soil to UAE.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Dj_bereta wrote:Netherlands will qualify to world cup. Sweden without Ibra is nothing. In other hand, I'm wondering if Japan will qualify, after losing in home soil to UAE.

There's still France in that group. Play off at best for Holland
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:
Dj_bereta wrote:Netherlands will qualify to world cup. Sweden without Ibra is nothing. In other hand, I'm wondering if Japan will qualify, after losing in home soil to UAE.

There's still France in that group. Play off at best for Holland

Oh yeah, I completely forgot. This group will be a cakewalk for France.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Dj_bereta wrote:
Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:There's still France in that group. Play off at best for Holland

Oh yeah, I completely forgot. This group will be a cakewalk for France.

Ummmm......
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Nevertheless, history is written again, as Kosovo scored a point in its first official competition match. (against Finland)

Also Faroe Islands started off their campaing with a point. Will they be inspired by neighbors Iceland?
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Unfortunately, Luxembourg were denied a draw in a thrilling game against Bulgaria. Heartbreaking, but you've got to admire this finish: http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... -qualifier
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

We won? We won! Wow. I absolutely did not believe it could happen. But Inter played Juve off the park. Thank goodness they rested Evra for Asamoah - he was useless today and gifted us so many chances down the left.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
AdrianBelmonte_

And somehow, Valencia maged to make it worse: they're currently DEAD LAST

Also, a major kudos for Las Palmas, they made a great start of the season that put them third, only just in front of us, wow
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Biscione wrote:
We won? We won! Wow. I absolutely did not believe it could happen. But Inter played Juve off the park. Thank goodness they rested Evra for Asamoah - he was useless today and gifted us so many chances down the left.

Was about time someone won against them, Italian competion's been getting a bit boring at the top lately.... Almost as predictable as the Liechtenstinian Cup.