The Ali Dia Football/Soccer Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
DemocalypseNow

Re: The Ali Dia Football/Soccer Thread

Post by DemocalypseNow »

BaconLettuceNinja wrote:Does anyone here like any lower-league (shite) teams?

Ended up with a soft spot for Dagenham & Redbridge...(I'm SO non-conformist :lol: )

Yeah, me too, but I think it's because I tend to gain a soft spot for teams I drag from zero to heroes in FIFA/Football Manager :lol:

Can you imagine Dagenham & Redbridge winning the Champions League with this lineup? That's what I did (albeit in a game);
:lol:

BTW, I actually own one of these >> http://www.football-shirts.co.uk/fans/d ... shirt_7365
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
RealRacingRoots

Post by RealRacingRoots »

And..... Toronto FC lost again.

Everything is right in the world; sports teams in Toronto are doing badly (CFL doesn't count) and the Vancouver Whitecaps FC are actually doing decent.
The Truth Shall set you free. (no theme music plays)
Tomáš.......Ttaaaaaaaattaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Watch this if you want to learn about what Canada is really like.
GT Super Series
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

RealRacingRoots wrote:And..... Toronto FC lost again.

Everything is right in the world; sports teams in Toronto are doing badly (CFL doesn't count) and the Vancouver Whitecaps FC are actually doing decent.

I heard Montreal Impact hired Alessandro Nesta. Despite being an Interista, I have to admit, Toronto won't be able to score to save their own life against Impact now :lol:

In other news, Peter Lovenkrands has just been signed by Birmingham City. Happy birthday redbulljack :lol: :lol: :lol:

Image Image
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Ended up with a soft spot for Dagenham & Redbridge...(I'm SO non-conformist :lol: )

AFC Hornchurch is where it's at... COME ON THE URCHINS! 2012-2013 Conference South winners!
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

This is my local-est team...

Drew Norwich in the FA Cup in 2009, "only" lost 7-0.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

AFC Wimbledon. That is all.

I suppose many of us know what happened to the old Wimbledon club. Horrendously mismanaged in the 1990s, lost their ground to redevelopment, and were eventually sold to someone about 10 years ago, who promptly moved the club lock, stock and barrell to Milton Keynes. The club had to play in Milton Keynes under the Wimbledon name for a final season, before they were renamed as MK Dons. So AFC Wimbledon was set up in protest to cater for Wimbledon fans who had in effect, had their old club stolen from under their noses and moved 60 miles up the road. Great little club, and it's wonderful to see them in the Football League having charged up the leagues. A proper peoples club.

As for MK Dons... :evil: For a while they were the most hated club in the land because of what happened to Wimbledon, and as far as I'm concerned, the hate was totally justified. They had hardly any fans (not surprising in the least), and the only reason they've built a fanbase is because they've started winning trophies. BOO! :evil:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Inter and Alessandro Del Piero are apparently in negotiations over a contract. Remember, Del Piero has spent the last 19 years of his career at Juventus. He is a club legend there.

ULTIMATE TROLL MODE ACTIVATED :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Image Image
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Well I have soft spots for Shrewsbury Town and AFC Telford United (probably the only person to support both :lol: )
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

East Londoner wrote:

AFC Wimbledon. That is all.

I suppose many of us know what happened to the old Wimbledon club. Horrendously mismanaged in the 1990s, lost their ground to redevelopment, and were eventually sold to someone about 10 years ago, who promptly moved the club lock, stock and barrell to Milton Keynes. The club had to play in Milton Keynes under the Wimbledon name for a final season, before they were renamed as MK Dons. So AFC Wimbledon was set up in protest to cater for Wimbledon fans who had in effect, had their old club stolen from under their noses and moved 60 miles up the road. Great little club, and it's wonderful to see them in the Football League having charged up the leagues. A proper peoples club.

As for MK Dons... :evil: For a while they were the most hated club in the land because of what happened to Wimbledon, and as far as I'm concerned, the hate was totally justified. They had hardly any fans (not surprising in the least), and the only reason they've built a fanbase is because they've started winning trophies. BOO! :evil:

Wimbledon were very good indeed on pitch in the 90s though. Despite the financial horrors, they managed to stay in the PL.

AFC are very similar to the original club, but without the horrendous conditions that the former team had at Plough Lane. Plough Lane had broken toilets in the away changing rooms (that players like Wally Downes and Vinnie Jones would sh*t in before the away team went in) and this would serve as a way to decrease the confidence of the opposition. As they raced to the PL, it must have worked.

AFC are more financially well-managed, and have quality players like Seb Brown and Jack Midson who did a good job in League 2 last season. And they've signed Stacy Long and Warren Cummings, so are looking towards getting promotion next season.

To be fair on MK Dons, Karl Robinson is a quality manager. And the youth setup's starting to churn out some good players as well (Sam Baldock having earned a move to West Ham last season). Of course, it's still FC Franchise in many people's eyes, but the area never really had any football pedigree as it was made into a new town in the 60's. (Milton Keynes City having tooled around in the lower reaches before dissolving twice.)
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

You want epic rejectful teams? What about the famous FC Kosova from Brussels? One of the few teams to have recently played in the famous ghost stadium in Schaarbeek (that thing was in ruins, literally) until it was finally demolished.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

BaconLettuceNinja wrote:This is my local-est team...

Drew Norwich in the FA Cup in 2009, "only" lost 7-0.

Local-est?

If we're going by that, I had to check West Bromwich Albion wasn't my local-est team using Google Maps.

Obviously i'm not local to any rejectful teams.
Last edited by FullMetalJack on 09 Jul 2012, 22:29, edited 1 time in total.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

For sheer rejectfulness, surely no-one can hold a candle to my local team, Durham City FC.

The team has spent almost all of its history outside the League, before winning the Northern League in 2008-09 and gaining entry to the Northern Premier League First Division North (what a mouthful!). However, the team was informed by the Football Conference shortly before the 2009-10 season that they would not be allowed to progress any further up the league beyond this point, as their ground has an artificial surface. As a result, the team's sponsor pulled out and all of its players left, and the team had to be hastily reformed around a squad from the city's Sixth Form Centre (also a designated Sports College), losing its first 28 matches. Somehow the team won two matches during the season (including one against the infamous FC United of Manchester, a team founded by disenchanted Manchester United fans several years ago), but scored no points after being penalised for fielding a suspended player under a false name. Swift relegation back to the Northern League was the result. :roll:

This is why I support Newcastle United instead. I think I'll stay out of any Newcastle-Sunderland arguments, though. :lol:
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

My most local team plays in the Irish Premier Division; UCD (University College Dublin) AFC. A university team.

That really says it all about the standard of Irish domestic football.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Warren Hughes

Post by Warren Hughes »

midgrid wrote:For sheer rejectfulness, surely no-one can hold a candle to my local team, Durham City FC.

The team has spent almost all of its history outside the League, before winning the Northern League in 2008-09 and gaining entry to the Northern Premier League First Division North (what a mouthful!). However, the team was informed by the Football Conference shortly before the 2009-10 season that they would not be allowed to progress any further up the league beyond this point, as their ground has an artificial surface. As a result, the team's sponsor pulled out and all of its players left, and the team had to be hastily reformed around a squad from the city's Sixth Form Centre (also a designated Sports College), losing its first 28 matches. Somehow the team won two matches during the season (including one against the infamous FC United of Manchester, a team founded by disenchanted Manchester United fans several years ago), but scored no points after being penalised for fielding a suspended player under a false name. Swift relegation back to the Northern League was the result. :roll:

This is why I support Newcastle United instead. I think I'll stay out of any Newcastle-Sunderland arguments, though. :lol:

I love the Durham City story. They were on a roll for a few years, climbing up the leagues, then it all collapsed because somebody had decided to rip up the grass a few years previously. :roll: Don't they also have to play FA cup games at Eppleton CW in Hetton because of their artificial pitch?
Nico Rosberg wrote:Break me down mentally? Good luck with that one.

:roll:
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Its 2 vs 2 now. The Tyne and Wear derby is going to be an interesting one here :D

Image Image
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

shinji wrote:My most local team plays in the Irish Premier Division; UCD (University College Dublin) AFC. A university team.

My most local team is Finn Harps, who managed one season in said Irish Premier Division a few years back, but were shite and got relegated.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:
shinji wrote:My most local team plays in the Irish Premier Division; UCD (University College Dublin) AFC. A university team.

My most local team is Finn Harps, who managed one season in said Irish Premier Division a few years back, but were shite and got relegated.

My local team is Lanark United. Stagecoach Central Scotland Division One (the name is deceptive, it's actually the third tier of Scottish Junior Football Association football, which makes it about the 8th tier of Scottish football as a whole!)

Re your signature; Stoke City have fans? :P

Image Image
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

As for me,being Singaporean,my most local team is....Geylang United,who are currently last in the 2012 S-League,which is currently lead by a team from another country altogether(Brunei).

Meanwhile,Singapore itself is represented in the 2012 Malaysian Super League,where they are currently second in the table.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

WaffleCat wrote:As for me,being Singaporean,my most local team is....Geylang United,who are currently last in the 2012 S-League,which is currently lead by a team from another country altogether(Brunei).

That's certainly...original. Suspended by FIFA for government interference in the team :lol:

Image Image
David AGS

Post by David AGS »

eurobrun wrote:I am an Adelaide United fan, but that is probably because they are my local team. Otherwise I don't really follow Soccer/Football much. (even though I used to play it all the time at school).

I dont like you now!

Go the Melbourne Victory!

Adelaide have lost the Grand Prix and Marco Flores!!!

No, seriously we are all friends on this forum

Im a massive Arsenal fan too, also a small Parma FC fan, but a fan of all football/soccer games, so can speak about other teams with ease.

Arsenal this season.. Not so confident, but that will change by the time the first game comes arrive. Our GK is good, our defensive reasonable, if Sagna, the Verminator, Koscielny and Gibbs stay fit and play just about all year we will be strong.

Midfield: If Wilshere is fully fit, him and Arteta with width from Walcott, possibly Arshavin, The Ox-Chamberlain, Rosicky all backed up by Song is potentially exciting.

Forward: Worries me a bit. Van Persie must be cashed in, Giroud and Podolski can play, but need time to adjust. Chamakh, Park average at best.

I think we need another CB (Mertesaker is good but slow, Djourou average), but can do without. A DM would be good, but Song, Ramsey, and Frimpong can all play that role. Id prefer another creative attacking midfielder as still question marks on Wilshere and Arteta is almost 30 and has had injuries before.

Need at least 2 strikers. Someone who can finish would be great!

Sorry for length, but showing my passion!
Miserable Thierry (Boutsen) staggers round mostly on ten cylinders (out of 12) with no clutch, low oil pressure, bad brakes and no grip to finish tenth, 3 laps down...

(Murray Walkers review of Boutsen's Brazil 1991 race).

Thats a point these days!
Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

Well it's been an interesting discussion I've enjoyed nonetheless kostas. It's a shame I don't really care about Serie A :P

Warren Hughes wrote:Jeroen, I love your passion. What led you to start supporting Sunderland, and when?

I've been asked this question many times by puzzled family members and friends alike. And for quite awhile I refused to answer simply because it's a ridiculously stupid reason :P But here goes anyway!

So the first season I remember watching was 2004-05, and a small approx. 6-year old me was introduced to the beautiful game. But I didn't really have anyone to support. My mum and uncle were diehard Spurs fans, both my granddads on the other hand were Gunners, but none of them tried to indoctrinate me, though had I been exposed to my uncle more often, I may very well be a Lilywhite! (although I am a big Spurs fan thanks to the aforementioned family members) Anyway Chelsea were the big team at the time, so I just went ahead and jumped on the bandwagon. Woo! Go Chelsea! Lampard, Duff, Gudjohnsen were my favs.

But there was this team who played in red and white stripes whom for some reason I was watching playing. Chances are it was a Chelsea game. Anyway I found red and white aesthetically pleasing, and I've always had an affinity for good-looking people, and we had Liam Lawrence (I would later find Dean Whitehead very handsome too!) at the time :P I discovered the team's name was Sunderland, and decided, 'hmm, I'll support them too!'. When my grandparents headed to the UK for a holiday, my grandmother asked me what jersey(s) I wanted. I said Chelsea and Sunderland (she asked me what player names I wanted, I of course said Lampard and Lawrence :P ). Alas she only came back with a Chelsea jersey...

Anyways as we all know Sunderland got relegated with the worst Premier League record ever (although thankfully Derby came along and beat us!) and disappeared. I don't think I realized this, I was too busy pretending to be a real Chelsea fan. But Sunderland reappeared in 2007-08 with Roy Keane at the helm! So I thought, 'hey! Roy Keane really rocks! We rock!' And then the news that we had signed Craig Gordon for a record fee, and my pathetic little mind immediately thought; 'wow! we're so rich we can afford the best goalie in Britain! woo!!!'

Of course I never expected us to be challenging for the title, I was smart enough to realize that, but I thought Gordon and Richardson (signed from Man Utd) were world class. By then I think I had inherited my mother's knack of supporting the underdog. As the season progressed, I found Kenwyne Jones and Michael Chopra fantastic as well... I recall watching a Sunderland vs Arsenal game, and Grant Leadbitter scored one hell of a goal! This was an upset in the making! Just a few more minutes! And... That idiot Cesc or whoever it was went and equalized. Ah well.

The next season we got Pascal Chimbonda, Steed Malbranque and Teemu Tainio (though I forgot the latter existed until recently), and, all being from Spurs, and my mum and uncle being Lilywhites as mentioned, I thought they were all world class :P 'Yeah! We got players from Spurs! We're really big!' We got Cisse on loan, and that was really it for me really. I mean, this is DJIBRIL BATHPLUGGING CISSE. That Liverpool striker right? And then we got Anton Ferdinand, brother of Rio! He's his brother! This was it. I forgot about Chelsea, I was a SAFC fan from here on end! (Sidenote: I thought very highly of El-Hadji Diouf for some awkward reason... I only just discovered he didn't score a single goal on Wearside! :lol: )

I thought highly of Sbragia and was surprised when he didn't stay on, though of course I was too young to understand all the factors properly. So when Steve Bruce came along, I thought, 'Hey he's good!'. And I mean saying this was justified later on. Zenden, Bent, Catts, Henderson and the like. One season we were as high as 5th! My uncle came up to me and said; 'Seems like someone has European aspirations!'

Unfortunately for some reason I let go of the football bug... And the next thing I knew... Darren Bent was gone! WHAT? He said he was happy right? He said he would never leave right? Pfft... Yeah well my uncle later told me some guy named Sol Campbell did something similar to Spurs... Following results showed we were on the decline. Bye bye 5th... We were down to 13th or something like that. And football began to bore me anyway, so I said bye bye! It's just F1 from now on!

Until last year... My friends invited me to watch a City/Liverpool match with them. Something clicked. It's like... I'm not sure how to explain it, but immediately after that match, I decided to check on Sunderland. We were... to say the least, in a bathplugged up situation... But then soon after, I heard Martin O'Neill was joining! Hey this guy is really good! I watched Sunderland vs Blackburn. From then on, football took over me. I learnt my history, every single rule of the game, I started playing, and I absorbed myself with everything Sunderland, the legends and so much more. I'm a total football nut in general now! I have tactics, my own squads for various teams and so much more! :mrgreen:

The basic reason I started supporting SAFC was because of their jersey and Liam Lawrence, but I've accepted its history and the club. I'm SAFC For Life.

And that, is my rushed but still ridiculously long story I could go on and on telling the full story :P
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

David AGS wrote:Im a massive Arsenal fan too, also a small Parma FC fan, but a fan of all football/soccer games, so can speak about other teams with ease.

Ah Parma...once up there with the best teams in Italy. Then Parmalat screwed them over :lol:
But, they were notable for one fine export to these shores...Faustino Asprilla :D

If Parma could resist other teams purcashing their players they could have a great forward lineup next season. They could have had Borini and Giovino in attack, but lost both of them at the end of their co-ownership deals. Plus they signed Sotiris Ninis on a free for this season, good business by them there.

Image Image
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:Anyways as we all know Sunderland got relegated with the worst Premier League record ever (although thankfully Derby came along and beat us!) and disappeared. I don't think I realized this, I was too busy pretending to be a real Chelsea fan. But Sunderland reappeared in 2007-08 with Roy Keane at the helm! So I thought, 'hey! Roy Keane really rocks! We rock!' And then the news that we had signed Craig Gordon for a record fee, and my pathetic little mind immediately thought; 'wow! we're so rich we can afford the best goalie in Britain! woo!!!'

Ha, Derby's relegation was embarrassing. I think we may be the only team to have ever scored more than triple the points of the team below us, with us finishing second bottom that season.

19th place with 35 points is bad, even with a manager as inept as Alex McLeish, but 11 points is downright dismal.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Jeroen Krautmeir wrote: The basic reason I started supporting SAFC was because of their jersey and Liam Lawrence, but I've accepted its history and the club. I'm SAFC For Life.

And that, is my rushed but still ridiculously long story I could go on and on telling the full story :P

Not bad! I must confess, for anyone under the illusion, no I don't originate from Blackburn, and prior to me going to some home games when I was younger, I'd never even visited the place!

I've always supported by local team Banbury, looking out for the team news in the local paper, and I've been to a couple of home games when I've had the opportunity, but Blackburn was a different story.

Anyone around the age of 20-21 in the UK remember when football stickers became massive around 2001? Well once Pokemon cards had been and gone, football stickers took over as the big craze around year 6, the final year of primary school with kids aged about 10 or 11. The first sticker album I had was the Premier League 01-02 season and I would spend all my pocket money on packs of stickers which used to be sold at 35p. We traded them on the playground like shares on Wall Street, and the first team I completed was, you guessed it, Blackburn! The fact that I really liked their blue and white kit meant I had found my favourite team, and I've supported them ever since, and only later discovered that they'd been league champions only a few years previously, and had spent a couple of seasons in Division One in the meantime!
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

AndreaModa wrote:Anyone around the age of 20-21 in the UK remember when football stickers became massive around 2001? Well once Pokemon cards had been and gone, football stickers took over as the big craze around year 6, the final year of primary school with kids aged about 10 or 11. The first sticker album I had was the Premier League 01-02 season and I would spend all my pocket money on packs of stickers which used to be sold at 35p. We traded them on the playground like shares on Wall Street, and the first team I completed was, you guessed it, Blackburn! The fact that I really liked their blue and white kit meant I had found my favourite team, and I've supported them ever since, and only later discovered that they'd been league champions only a few years previously, and had spent a couple of seasons in Division One in the meantime!

Football stickers were class...I can remember in primary school my mate Joe was the first to have them and we were in awe of him.

Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:
But there was this team who played in red and white stripes whom for some reason I was watching playing. Chances are it was a Chelsea game. Anyway I found red and white aesthetically pleasing, and I've always had an affinity for good-looking people, and we had Liam Lawrence (I would later find Dean Whitehead very handsome too!) at the time :P I discovered the team's name was Sunderland, and decided, 'hmm, I'll support them too!'. When my grandparents headed to the UK for a holiday, my grandmother asked me what jersey(s) I wanted. I said Chelsea and Sunderland (she asked me what player names I wanted, I of course said Lampard and Lawrence :P ). Alas she only came back with a Chelsea jersey...

WHAT?! He looks like a paedophile...
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

I did the 2002 World Cup sticker book, I had about 10 Roy Keane spare stickers and ripped them all up ceremoniously after Saipan-gate.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

I noticed that despite Phoenix's apparent penchant for football (gathered by his signature), he rarely, if ever, posts in this thread. It may have something to do with Atletico Madrid being broke and likely being forced to sell Falcao not long after getting there!

I heard they are interested in Inter's Giampaolo Pazzini, maybe we can arrange a trade between him and Falcao? Image

Image Image
David AGS

Post by David AGS »

kostas22 wrote:Ah Parma...once up there with the best teams in Italy. Then Parmalat screwed them over :lol:
But, they were notable for one fine export to these shores...Faustino Asprilla :D

If Parma could resist other teams purcashing their players they could have a great forward lineup next season. They could have had Borini and Giovino in attack, but lost both of them at the end of their co-ownership deals. Plus they signed Sotiris Ninis on a free for this season, good business by them there.

Asprilla was good, Ive only closely started supporting Parma for last 8 or so years, they had 2 Aussies on board (Bresciano and Grella) and followed them ever since. Parma's youth in the mid to late 90's were awesome, Buffon, Cannavaro (x2), Zola, Thuram, Veron, just off the top of my head. Lately Cigarini, Dessena, Rosina, Gilardino etc all handy.

For the new season, Gio is a big loss, but Ninis looks okay. They got Pabon, who has enormous potential but unproven. Also Amauri is back, and they have kept for now Santacroce, Palletta, Galloppa, Biabiany, Zaccardo, Mirante and a few others which can all play.
Miserable Thierry (Boutsen) staggers round mostly on ten cylinders (out of 12) with no clutch, low oil pressure, bad brakes and no grip to finish tenth, 3 laps down...

(Murray Walkers review of Boutsen's Brazil 1991 race).

Thats a point these days!
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

David AGS wrote:
kostas22 wrote:Ah Parma...once up there with the best teams in Italy. Then Parmalat screwed them over :lol:

Asprilla was good, Ive only closely started supporting Parma for last 8 or so years, they had 2 Aussies on board (Bresciano and Grella) and followed them ever since. Parma's youth in the mid to late 90's were awesome, Buffon, Cannavaro (x2), Zola, Thuram, Veron, just off the top of my head. Lately Cigarini, Dessena, Rosina, Gilardino etc all handy.

For the new season, Gio is a big loss, but Ninis looks okay. They got Pabon, who has enormous potential but unproven. Also Amauri is back, and they have kept for now Santacroce, Palletta, Galloppa, Biabiany, Zaccardo, Mirante and a few others which can all play.

Alessandro Rosina? Not handy. Crap. A year after moving to Russia he has been pretty much permanently benched since.

Amauri has been crap everywhere except Parma. Maybe it's because he got good service from Formica Atomica, I don't know, but he has sucked everywhere else. I hope for Parma's sake he isn't being paid as much as he was at Juve (100K a week!!!!).

Image Image
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

BaconLettuceNinja wrote:Oh, KOSTAS!

I have a present for you...

Those shirts look like they were designed by the same people who put stickers on in NASCAR Image

Also, they relented to pressure, and didn't put the three starts on the shirt like they threatened to. Becuause, of course, that would just screw the idea that stars mean something. Instead, they have written '30 sul campo', but I think in the preview version, they didn't finish the lettering in time, because it should say "30 sul campo con 12 uomini" ;)

Inter may only have one star for now, but at least we didn't have to cheat, lie, and invent extra trophies to get it Image

Image Image
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

kostas22 wrote:

Those shirts look like they were designed by the same people who put stickers on in NASCAR Image

Also, they relented to pressure, and didn't put the three starts on the shirt like they threatened to. Becuause, of course, that would just screw the idea that stars mean something. Instead, they have written '30 sul campo', but I think in the preview version, they didn't finish the lettering in time, because it should say "30 sul campo con 12 uomini" ;)

Inter may only have one star for now, but at least we didn't have to cheat, lie, and invent extra trophies to get it Image

I think they have the stars, if you look closely you can kinda see they'd taped over it.

It looks sh*t, I'll be honest.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Well I'm an Arsenal fan at heart. Born in Woolwich Arsenal, East London, which is where the team were originally founded in 1886!

Spent 20 years living in Woolwich and Dartford (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dartford_fc) so they are my old local team. Fascinating story of a rags to riches club. A fully-enviromentally stadium and are now playing in the Conference Premier.

Other local teams are now Folkestone Invicta (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folkestone_Invicta), who are shite. And Hythe Town (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hythe_town#section_4) who are actually pretty decent. They have a fanbase about 20% less than Folkestone but finished only 4 places behind in 8th. Also reached the FA Cup First Round proper last season, getting beaten by Hereford 5-1. It made the National papers as they were still playing in the Kent Premier League, which is the lowest any team has ever played in the first round proper in the cup's history! Not surprising, seeing the KPL is the 10thtier of English football.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

BaconLettuceNinja wrote:
kostas22 wrote:

I think they have the stars, if you look closely you can kinda see they'd taped over it.

It looks sh*t, I'll be honest.

To add extra fail, they're retaining the away shirt from last season as their third shirt for this season;

Image Image
QuickYoda41

Post by QuickYoda41 »

I keep wondering whether there would be any worse time to open a football/soccer thread than mid-summer. :lol: Although for smaller countries like Hungary, football season had already started - and we'll probably finish European football by the end of the summer. :lol:
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Ultra-bad news.

My grandad's a Portsmouth fan, so I keep an eye on them. This ownership crisis has just screwed them over for the last 3 years, and I'm not sure what stage the bidding process is at. Michael Appleton's got 10 contracted players and hasn't been able to sign any more. This looks bad; I'm hoping for a Southampton-style resurgence but this looks quite unlikely. Hopefully the Supporters' Trust can take control, offload their current players to reduce the wage bill and start picking up some free agents.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

BaconLettuceNinja wrote:Ultra-bad news.

My grandad's a Portsmouth fan, so I keep an eye on them. This ownership crisis has just screwed them over for the last 3 years, and I'm not sure what stage the bidding process is at. Michael Appleton's got 10 contracted players and hasn't been able to sign any more. This looks bad; I'm hoping for a Southampton-style resurgence but this looks quite unlikely. Hopefully the Supporters' Trust can take control, offload their current players to reduce the wage bill and start picking up some free agents.

We've nicked Hayden Mullins off them today, Greg Halford next please.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

BaconLettuceNinja wrote:Ultra-bad news.

It's a bloody shame, and I just can't see where it's going to end at this rate. We've had Wimbledon, Leeds, Bradford, Leicester have never been the same since they finally disappeared from the Premier League, and I'm concerned for Blackburn too. I mean look at Rangers in Scotland, that's a right old mess. It's all getting rather silly and I know it will come to a head at some point in the future, but how many more clubs need to be ruined before that happens? It's unsustainable and something needs to be done.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

It's just been confirmed that AC Milan have sold Ibrahimovic and Silva to PSG for nearly £50 million. Whoa ho ho! :shock:

Kostas will be pleased.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

AndreaModa wrote:It's a bloody shame, and I just can't see where it's going to end at this rate. We've had Wimbledon, Leeds, Bradford, Leicester have never been the same since they finally disappeared from the Premier League, and I'm concerned for Blackburn too. I mean look at Rangers in Scotland, that's a right old mess. It's all getting rather silly and I know it will come to a head at some point in the future, but how many more clubs need to be ruined before that happens? It's unsustainable and something needs to be done.

Leicester could well be on the way to recovery, maybe.

It does put things into perspective though, i've often complained about Birmingham's money problems, but looking at clubs like Portsmouth and Rangers make me realise we don't have it that badly.