2012 German Grand Prix Discussion Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Londoner

2012 German Grand Prix Discussion Thread

Post by Londoner »

Yep, it's time to open this thread up.

Although I can't find any sources to back it up, I assume the DRS zone will be along the curving main straight.

And bad luck has struck Grosjean again. He has a 5 place grid penalty for changing a gearbox. These silly arbitary rules strike again. :evil:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/101167
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Benetton

Re: 2012 German Grand Prix Discussion Thread

Post by Benetton »

How's the weather lining up to be??
TheBigJ

Post by TheBigJ »

Nurburgiring or Kockenheim
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

TheBigJ wrote:Nurburgiring or Kockenheim

The Ring at the Heim of Hocken.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Pamphlet

Post by Pamphlet »

dr-baker wrote:

But definitely not Kocken.
Sticking his neck on the line, one post at a time. Oh, and Singapore is still better than Monaco.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Benetton wrote:How's the weather lining up to be??

Dry throughout, and we'll keep thinking that until wet tyres are first put on. I hate those Beckettian races with endless shots of the Meteo France screens saying 'Rain in 15 minutes' or whatever.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Pamphlet wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

No, don't want any Kockens around here... :?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Pamphlet wrote:
dr-baker wrote:The Ring at the Heim of Hocken.

Better than the Heim of Kacken though.
I am supposed to be mature, so why am I doing this?
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

shinji wrote:
Benetton wrote:How's the weather lining up to be??

Dry throughout, and we'll keep thinking that until wet tyres are first put on. I hate those Beckettian races with endless shots of the Meteo France screens saying 'Rain in 15 minutes' or whatever.

Never did I think I would see a post that could link F1 and Waiting For Godot. Impressive sir.
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
Rusujuur

Post by Rusujuur »

Some interesting updates coming to the ring according to various sources.

A make-or-brake update for macca it seems and according to ehm.. Boulier a bigger for Lotus.

Could it be DRS or exhausts? I think they have only tinkered with wings and floor thus far, so this could help them get their 1st win.

Also interesting to see how the Caterham does in "normal" weather compared to the Toro Rossos whos qualy was a lucky overperformance in GB.
mario

Post by mario »

Rusujuur wrote:Some interesting updates coming to the ring according to various sources.

A make-or-brake update for macca it seems and according to ehm.. Boulier a bigger for Lotus.

Could it be DRS or exhausts? I think they have only tinkered with wings and floor thus far, so this could help them get their 1st win.

Also interesting to see how the Caterham does in "normal" weather compared to the Toro Rossos whos qualy was a lucky overperformance in GB.

My gut feeling would be that Lotus's upgrades are aero related, and it is possible that they could be experimenting with their exhausts - that is one of the few areas that they have not made any major changes to over the course of the season, so there may be scope for development there. Most of their changes this season have been fairly small - slight tweaks to the front wing and the leading edge of the floor - because the car has been performing so well until now, and I suspect that they might fancy their chances in Hockenheim should there be relatively warm weather. I wonder whether this might be a hint that they are following the McLaren/Sauber school of thought, or perhaps the slightly more radical interpretation Red Bull went for?

As for McLaren, that could be equally interesting given that there are some interesting rumours swirling around their car - some of the rumours were expected for Silverstone but postponed (the modified front brake ducts, for example), but the big speculation is over whether McLaren might ditch their current nosecone design and opt for a step nosed chassis. They were experimenting a little while ago with a ridge on the nosecone that some suspected was being used to gauge whether a raised nose would have an adverse effect on the drivers line of sight, so perhaps this might be the make or break change they intend to make?
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Diet Hockenheim.
Just For One Day...
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

That curved straight into a tight hairpin is not only boring but also asking for a major major accident to happen. Tilke cod have at least put a right kink into a slowly tightening corner
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

pasta_maldonado wrote:That curved straight into a tight hairpin is not only boring but also asking for a major major accident to happen. Tilke cod have at least put a right kink into a slowly tightening corner

You're about nine years late saying that... :?
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Peter

Post by Peter »

Whiting needs to use the DRS at a track like this to create an overtaking opportunity, rather than to create overtaking. Meaning, use DRS to try and get the cars closer together, so they can overtake on their own, without DRS. Have the DRS zone on the short straight after turn 1. That will bunch the pack up a little bit more, then they can actually work to try and ride that draft and have a go int other hairpin. It's safer, too.
"The FIA's implementation of penalties is about as effective as that of the English football team."
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Peter wrote:Whiting needs to use the DRS at a track like this to create an overtaking opportunity, rather than to create overtaking. Meaning, use DRS to try and get the cars closer together, so they can overtake on their own, without DRS. Have the DRS zone on the short straight after turn 1. That will bunch the pack up a little bit more, then they can actually work to try and ride that draft and have a go int other hairpin. It's safer, too.

No it won't.

It will bunch the cars up too close, causing a cascade effect and costing the pursuing car time on the exit of T2, meaning they'll be miles behind the car in front by the time they reach the hairpin. It will make natural overtaking even more difficult than it was previously without DRS, so no-one will use it and the DRS zone will become completely redundant.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

JeremyMcClean wrote:
pasta_maldonado wrote:That curved straight into a tight hairpin is not only boring but also asking for a major major accident to happen. Tilke cod have at least put a right kink into a slowly tightening corner

You're about nine years late saying that... :?

the curved straight reminds me of the tamburello....
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

kostas22 wrote:
Peter wrote:Whiting needs to use the DRS at a track like this to create an overtaking opportunity, rather than to create overtaking. Meaning, use DRS to try and get the cars closer together, so they can overtake on their own, without DRS. Have the DRS zone on the short straight after turn 1. That will bunch the pack up a little bit more, then they can actually work to try and ride that draft and have a go int other hairpin. It's safer, too.

No it won't.

It will bunch the cars up too close, causing a cascade effect and costing the pursuing car time on the exit of T2, meaning they'll be miles behind the car in front by the time they reach the hairpin. It will make natural overtaking even more difficult than it was previously without DRS, so no-one will use it and the DRS zone will become completely redundant.

Spot on. F1 cars lose a hell of a lot of downforce following too close into turn 1 and 2. The advantage gained by using the DRS on the pit straight would be nothing after T1/T2. It's fine where it probably will be. Plus, we've seen plenty of shunts at the turn 4 hairpin in the past.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

I don't agree with you, I actually think it is one of the best parts of the circuit.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Lotus have a double DRS and we have a forecast of light rain in 5 minutes.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
mario

Post by mario »

So, Autosport are reporting that that the latest major development that Lotus are bringing to Hockenheim is a form of double DRS - however, they seem to believe that their system, unlike the Mercedes system, would operate only on the rear wing, stalling the main element in a way that is similar to the effect of the F-ducts of 2010.
Furthermore, this new system will probably not be used at Hockenheim - the idea is that Kimi will test the new wing in free practise for data gathering purposes, with a refined version being deployed for the higher downforce tracks later this year. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/101286
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Almost 2 practice sessions down and we've learned... absolutely nothing.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

And here is that system for you now:

Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Schumi has smacked it into the barriers. Red flags are out, and that's probably the end of the session.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

BaconLettuceNinja wrote:And here is that system for you now:

That has to be illegal. Please don't tell me nobody is protesting this...
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

Marussia 14th and 15th. I know it was all down to the rain, but is this the best the Virgin/Marussia team has ever done in an Official session?
Message me on Discord.
mario

Post by mario »

JeremyMcClean wrote:
BaconLettuceNinja wrote:And here is that system for you now:

That has to be illegal. Please don't tell me nobody is protesting this...

So far, nobody has launched any sort of protest and the device has passed scruitineering - Sam Michael was asked what McLaren's view on the matter was, and they said that they believe that the device is legal.
Sporting director Sam Michael confirmed that he was confident that Lotus had gone through the correct procedures to ensure the system's legality. "I'm sure that the legality of that is fine", said Michael. "I wouldn't question that. I'm sure that they have done all due process."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/101299

As far as I can tell, what Lotus are doing is legal - the air intake system fits within a zone where openings are allowed for the airbox, whilst the central exit fits within a zone around the centreline of the car where openings are allowed (mainly for cooling). The duct running up to the rear wing, meanwhile, seems to take advantage of a 15cm wide zone around the centreline of the car where additional bodywork is allowed (which is why you have seen little winglets appearing on top of the gearbox on some cars), and the pipework within the wing itself uses the same interpretation as Mercedes - so unless there is something that I have missed, I believe that what Lotus are doing all conforms with the rules.

On another note, although Schumacher crashed during FP2 (which he admitted was down to him being distracted when radioing the pits), Rosberg has been hit by a bit of bad luck himself - Mercedes have discovered a problem that will force him to change his gearbox, making him the second driver that will face a gearbox penalty this weekend (Grosjean having picked up his gearbox penalty after Lotus discovered that one of his gears developed a hairline crack during the final lap at Silverstone). http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/101304
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Is the rain predicted all weekend?
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

AdrianSutil wrote:Is the rain predicted all weekend?

F1 Fanatic say that it might rain during qualifying, but the race will be dry.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2012/07/19/2012-german-grand-prix-weather/
Peter

Post by Peter »

AdrianSutil wrote:
kostas22 wrote:

No it won't.

Spot on. F1 cars lose a hell of a lot of downforce following too close into turn 1 and 2. The advantage gained by using the DRS on the pit straight would be nothing after T1/T2. It's fine where it probably will be. Plus, we've seen plenty of shunts at the turn 4 hairpin in the past.

I just don't want to see DRS overpowered again. I hated to see Alonso go through all that work and ingeniousness in Canada to jump Vettel and Hamilton, only to have Lewis sail past again like it was nothing.
"The FIA's implementation of penalties is about as effective as that of the English football team."
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

Shadaza wrote:Marussia 14th and 15th. I know it was all down to the rain, but is this the best the Virgin/Marussia team has ever done in an Official session?

Two years ago in Suzuka, Glock was second fastest in FP3. However, only two drivers set a lap time (Alguersuari and Glock). :lol:
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Shadaza wrote:Marussia 14th and 15th. I know it was all down to the rain, but is this the best the Virgin/Marussia team has ever done in an Official session?

To paraphrase GwyllimJJames:

This is Marussia's race. :lol:
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
mario

Post by mario »

Peter wrote:I just don't want to see DRS overpowered again. I hated to see Alonso go through all that work and ingeniousness in Canada to jump Vettel and Hamilton, only to have Lewis sail past again like it was nothing.

To be fair, by that point in the race Lewis's pace advantage, at more than a second a lap and growing, was enough to have seen him comfortably past both drivers fairly soon - as it was, Alonso's tyre wear was so severe that Hamilton was already past Alonso before they even reached the DRS activation point, because his superior traction meant that he could simply out accelerate Alonso. Speaking of Canada, they had already tried cutting down the size of the DRS zone in Canada compared to last year for that reason, although the FIA does face something of a difficult balancing act given that they still have relatively little data to work from.
In the case of Hockenheim, they are having to rely completely on simulations of the race, which does make it hard to judge - when the DRS zone was first announced for the Circuit de Catalunya, for example, initially most observers believed that it would make passing too easy given the length of the zone, but recent evidence has shown that it has had a fairly limited effect. By comparison, there were other venues where the DRS was relatively overpowered last year but was fine tuned for this year to have less of an effect, such as in Melbourne.

The FIA probably believe that this represents the best compromise for the race, but I guess that we'll have to wait and see how the race itself turns out - as it is, the wet weather during the practise sessions today will complicate things. The drivers face the scenario of potentially qualifying in wet conditions but racing in dry conditions, as happened in Silverstone - at least there the teams could rely on data from 2011 for their gearing choices to take the DRS into account, but they don't have that data available to them today in Hockenheim, so I do think that it is possible that a few teams might undergear their cars for DRS use, rendering it less powerful in the race.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Meatwad wrote:

Two years ago in Suzuka, Glock was second fastest in FP3. However, only two drivers set a lap time (Alguersuari and Glock). :lol:

You know when's it raining a little too hard when you can sail boats down the pit lane :lol: Also, welcome to the forums Meatwad!
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

pasta_maldonado wrote:You know when's it raining a little too hard when you can sail boats down the pit lane :lol: Also, welcome to the forums Meatwad!

Thanks! :D I finally decided to join after several months of reading the discussions on this forum.

I hope Marussia gets a good result along with Caterham and HRT. I know it's very unlikely but it would be nice to see those teams score at least one point this season.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

That Lotus looks really illegal.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Peter

Post by Peter »

mario wrote:
Peter wrote:I just don't want to see DRS overpowered again. I hated to see Alonso go through all that work and ingeniousness in Canada to jump Vettel and Hamilton, only to have Lewis sail past again like it was nothing.

To be fair, by that point in the race Lewis's pace advantage, at more than a second a lap and growing, was enough to have seen him comfortably past both drivers fairly soon - as it was, Alonso's tyre wear was so severe that Hamilton was already past Alonso before they even reached the DRS activation point, because his superior traction meant that he could simply out accelerate Alonso. Speaking of Canada, they had already tried cutting down the size of the DRS zone in Canada compared to last year for that reason, although the FIA does face something of a difficult balancing act given that they still have relatively little data to work from.

I probably should have been more clear. I meant after Alonso made his first pitstop. He leapfrogged Lewis and Vettel, and his lead only existed from pit exit to the DRS zone.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

The curse has begun. Mark Webber's just been given a 5 place grid penalty for a gearbox change.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Wizzie wrote:The curse has begun. Mark Webber's just been given a 5 place grid penalty for a gearbox change.

With the amount of gearbox penalties that the drivers seem to be getting, they may as well not bother running qualifying. :evil:

Yes, I'm in one of my FIA-bashing moods.
Benetton

Post by Benetton »

Timo Glock P4 :lol: