The Jacques Villeneuve Music Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: The Jacques Villeneuve Music Thread

Post by watka »

Heading to Primavera Sound festival in Barcelona next week. Should be a good laugh, especially Run the Jewels, Dan Deacon and Simian Mobile Disco. The Strokes headlining will be entertaining too!

http://www.primaverasound.es/index
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

This wrote:The Finnish forum members are probably hiding with shame in their caves (with private sauna) after the Eurovision semi-finals :P

Still can't get used to the idea that Australia is participating. Kudos to the presenter for 'accidentally' confusing the name Australia with Austria.

I'm not. I never supported the choice of PKN as our Eurovision representative, and predicted that they would fail. And I was right. :glasses:
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

I was wondering to myself "why do the UK never get eliminated in this semi-finals? We're terrible every year!". I just found out we get into the finals automatically every year. Does anyone know why? We haven't done much to justify that free pass for a long time!
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

watka wrote:Heading to Primavera Sound festival in Barcelona next week. Should be a good laugh, especially Run the Jewels, Dan Deacon and Simian Mobile Disco. The Strokes headlining will be entertaining too!

http://www.primaverasound.es/index

Looks quite interesting, though I have to admit I've only heard of about 25% (at best) of the acts on the bill.

On a slightly more 'commercial' note, I am off to Radio 1's Big Weekend in Norwich this Saturday (though the Sunday is a lot more commercial than the Saturday) with the wife, looking forward to Snoop Dogg, Rudimental, Muse, Fall Out Boy and Florence+The Machine amongst others.

Quite rare to find acts like that coming out here to East Anglia and we were very lucky to get tickets. The whole thing is on TV (BBC Red Button during the day, then BBC3 or 4 in the evening), so it's all set up to record, will be nice to have it to look back on in the future. I'll report back next week ...
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

A trio of Britpop 20th anniversaries in the past week or so. Firstly, Supergrass - I Should Coco. Secondly, Paul Weller - Stanley Road. Both of those turned 20 years old last week. And finally, given that it turns 20 this Friday, Pulp - Common People.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Biscione wrote:I was wondering to myself "why do the UK never get eliminated in this semi-finals? We're terrible every year!". I just found out we get into the finals automatically every year. Does anyone know why? We haven't done much to justify that free pass for a long time!

Harry Enfield has the answer.

Since 2000, "The Big Four" - UK, France, Spain and Germany - have automatically qualified for the final as they are the biggest financial contributors to the EBU. In 2010 they were joined by Italy, so it's now "The Big Five". Besides these only the host country is allowed a free pass to the final, except this year when they have Australia trolling around as well.
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Nuppiz wrote:
Biscione wrote:I was wondering to myself "why do the UK never get eliminated in this semi-finals? We're terrible every year!". I just found out we get into the finals automatically every year. Does anyone know why? We haven't done much to justify that free pass for a long time!

Since 2000, "The Big Four" - UK, France, Spain and Germany - have automatically qualified for the final as they are the biggest financial contributors to the EBU. In 2010 they were joined by Italy, so it's now "The Big Five". Besides these only the host country is allowed a free pass to the final, except this year when they have Australia trolling around as well.

However, that leads me to question how Spain even gets the money to be a 'big contributor'. Talk about priorities in government finances.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Nuppiz wrote:

Frankly we'd have way better chances than most years if we entered Harry with Loadsamoney :facepalm:
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

"Someone" is recording a music video near Barcelona, "that person" posted pics of the gas station where the video is being recorded, no need to be very smart to realize who I'm talking about... ;)

As soon as "that person" posts the music video i will put it here
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:"Someone" is recording a music video near Barcelona, "that person" posted pics of the gas station where the video is being recorded, no need to be very smart to realize who I'm talking about... ;)

Just For One Day...
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:"Someone" is recording a music video near Barcelona, "that person" posted pics of the gas station where the video is being recorded, no need to be very smart to realize who I'm talking about... ;)

Is it Aerond? :P
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
AdrianBelmonte_

"That person" isn't neither Aerond nor Julio Iglesias, also, "that person" have more Grammys than both of them :glasses:
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:"That person" isn't neither Aerond nor Julio Iglesias, also, "that person" have more Grammys than both of them :glasses:

Hey, for all you know Aerond could be Eric Clapton :P
#FreeGonzo
AdrianBelmonte_

After recording a music video on Spain, "that person" came back to England to beat a world record yesterday (Most live concerts on different cities in 12 hours), and, of course, "that person" did it with 7 gigs

EDIT: Today, "that person" tweeted a pic of the cover art for that song from the music video, you can see it on my avatar

EDIT2: "That person" released the new song, here it is
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I'd be amazed if there were any Pop Will Eat Itself fans on here and even more so if they like the current incarnation of the band but this is a fine album anyway.
Just For One Day...
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

I like their late 80s / early 90s stuff a lot but everything after 'Get the girl, kill the baddies!' left me totally cold.
Bobby Doorknobs

And here we have a Finnish music video starring Mika Salo! (Skip to 2:40)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IFZXQfO2NU
#FreeGonzo
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Simtek wrote:And here we have a Finnish music video starring Mika Salo! (Skip to 2:40)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IFZXQfO2NU

>1999 Ferrari driving suit and helmet
>Pirelli cap
:facepalm:
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

I love this song. Really liking their stuff.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

What is the first piece of music you guys ever bought?

For me it's this song, which is very out-of-character for me, being the punkrocker of the forum. But it really intrigued me when i heared it a lot on the radio as a kid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuXOUvFtUC8
I don't think it's known outside of Belgium, and even here many people have forgotten about it.
Aside for nostalgia, it is still a good track even to todays standards.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

This wrote:What is the first piece of music you guys ever bought?

And I'm not ashamed :dance:
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

This wrote:What is the first piece of music you guys ever bought?

And for me it was a compilation cd called Nº1 from Sony from which the only tracks I can remember were this and this which is curious for the first song since the CD was from 1994. The second one I bought was this one:

It would then take many years for my next buy.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

First music I bought was a single on cassette tape from WH Smith's. It was either C'est La Vie by B*Witched or Honey to the Bee by Billie Piper. I then moved onto ABBA Gold on CD after that.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

dr-baker wrote:First music I bought was a single on cassette tape from WH Smith's. It was either C'est La Vie by B*Witched or Honey to the Bee by Billie Piper.

Do you fight like your da?
Just For One Day...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

The first piece of music I ever bought was a CD of "Selling England By The Pound" by Genesis. I was just an average, popular 13-year-old kid, right? :S
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Oh lawdy, that was a while back...

Probably Green Day's American Idiot.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

CoopsII wrote:
dr-baker wrote:First music I bought was a single on cassette tape from WH Smith's. It was either C'est La Vie by B*Witched or Honey to the Bee by Billie Piper.

Do you fight like your da?

Ja.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Bobby Doorknobs

Mine was a Bob Dylan compilation album.
#FreeGonzo
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

The first album I remember buying?
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Well for me it was the Men in Black soundtrack that I bought back in 1998, when I was 12.
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
AdrianBelmonte_

And, as i promised, here it is
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Rabbi Gordon

Post by Rabbi Gordon »

Here are two former GP2 drivers' new careers:
Hiroki Yoshimoto - Apparently he has been in music with his band do-a for quite a time. They actually started 2 years before Hiroki's first GP2 start.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fnR-VcYwBo
Honestly, it sounds totally okay.

Hamad Al Fardan - GP2 Asia driver, who wasn't that bad when he wasn't crashing. Now being as Arab as he can, he is in Drag racing AND... hip-hop. I can't really say anything, as hip-hop is not my kind of music, not to mention Arabic hip-hop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTPCSBUOF6g

Bonus Sakon
If a particle is traveling at the speed of a Spyker, it is likely to finish last. - Albers Einstein

The Hungarian language is more beautiful than you'd ever think. See, the plural of soul in Hungarian is lelkek.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Hey, guess what? I saw this video t'other day AB and I quite enjoyed it. I confess to never having even heard of Foxes before you started your relentless campaign on her behalf but I thought it was a damn good 80s-style choon. She didn't look very comfortable doing the dance routine, mind, but who am I to judge?
Just For One Day...
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Well, this morning, I bought the new Iron Maiden album, The Book Of Souls and wow, the wait of 5 years since The Final Frontier, which I also bought today, have been so worth it.
Last edited by roblo97 on 08 Sep 2015, 10:36, edited 1 time in total.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

roblomas52 wrote:Well, this morning, I brought the new Iron Maiden album, The Book Of Souls and wow, the wait of 5 years since The Final Frontier, which I also brought today, have been so worth it.

I have all previous fifteen albums on CD and Killers on vinyl but haven't ordered tBoS yet.

How's Bruce's voice holding up, Rob?
-*:-
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Jocke1 wrote:
roblomas52 wrote:Well, this morning, I brought the new Iron Maiden album, The Book Of Souls and wow, the wait of 5 years since The Final Frontier, which I also brought today, have been so worth it.

I have all previous fifteen albums on CD and Killers on vinyl but haven't ordered tBoS yet.

How's Bruce's voice holding up, Rob?

It is holding up good on the album, Jocke.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Do you mean you 'bought' the albums or are you explaining that you've transported them to where you are right now? I brought my ipod to work today like I always do and over the weekend I finally bought 'Live shite Binge & Purge' by Metallica.
Just For One Day...
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

CoopsII wrote:

Do you mean you 'bought' the albums or are you explaining that you've transported them to where you are right now? I brought my ipod to work today like I always do and over the weekend I finally bought 'Live shite Binge & Purge' by Metallica.

Yes, I meant 'Bought', Thanks for pointing that out, I have amended the post now.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Just For One Day...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

After remembering how good Modern Vampires of the City was, I decided a few weeks ago to listen again to the first two Vampire Weekend albums. I must say, even though I didn't think very much of them the first time I listened to them, in retrospect they're both pretty good albums, and I'm super excited for what they're going to come up with next.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!