The "You're Winner!" Gaming Thread

The place for alternate championships that use real results as a base of forming alternative results, driver careers, and games in general
madmark1974

Re: The "You're Winner!" Gaming Thread

Post by madmark1974 »

In GT6, the Red Bull and Chappal Vision GT car-beating SRT Vision GT cars are out today!

http://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/news/00_8518436.html

2,500+ bhp in an American car, on tracks with actual corners - going to be interesting!

EDIT : Just seen that you have to do a clean lap of the Nordschleife in one of them - I've got no chance of being able to do that!
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

madmark1974 wrote:EDIT : Just seen that you have to do a clean lap of the Nordschleife in one of them - I've got no chance of being able to do that!

Don't worry. Any online time trial on the Nordschleife has ludicrously low success standards. You can sneak around the track and still grab gold.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Klon wrote:
madmark1974 wrote:EDIT : Just seen that you have to do a clean lap of the Nordschleife in one of them - I've got no chance of being able to do that!

Don't worry. Any online time trial on the Nordschleife has ludicrously low success standards. You can sneak around the track and still grab gold.

Yeah, it still can be a pain to keep on the road at times, but it is possible to get gold easily just by coasting through the corners.
#FreeGonzo
Rabbi Gordon

Post by Rabbi Gordon »

Oh boy! Just found my copy of GT Legends!
It certainly is a great game and I'll have some fun with it in the coming days. I always loved the Alfas in it.
If a particle is traveling at the speed of a Spyker, it is likely to finish last. - Albers Einstein

The Hungarian language is more beautiful than you'd ever think. See, the plural of soul in Hungarian is lelkek.
MinardiFan95

Post by MinardiFan95 »

If you're looking to spend some money on crowdfunding a racing sim, don't bother with Project CARS 2... instead, it's the small team at Reiza Studios that deserves the support. Even though Stock Car Extreme is based on the aging gMotor2 platform from rFactor, it's still one of the best sims on the market today and it's only going to get better now Reiza have licensed the source code from ISI. Oh, and it already has an officially licensed Copersucar-Fittipaldi.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/reiz ... nza#/story

I'm hoping this gets funded mainly for the Stadium Super Trucks, should be a tonne of fun judging from what I've seen of the series on YouTube.
This is a cool spot.
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

So Max Verstappen, being 17, joined up with Team Redline, the "best"* online racing team around for fun during the week. So I perused iRacing to see if I could find any reject drivers with accounts.

And I found the next best thing: Louis Deletraz. Doesn't seem to play much any more, though.

* I'm not so much disputing that as wondering how dafuq that's quantified.
Dom_Wings

Post by Dom_Wings »

That's what I call a flippin' good time ;)

Join the GPR Discord server! https://discord.com/invite/6YDQ3aV
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

I have achieved online rejectdom:

https://youtu.be/_v7CVZZGawM?t=2744
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

So Wal-Mart had Project CARS on sale for $29.99, and I decided to bite.

The Good: Everything Unlocked, Total Freedom, Great Weather Effects, Good Sounds, Ben Collins
The Bad: Low Car Count, INSANE Difficultly, So-So Visuals, INSANE Difficultly

Seriously, this game is bathplugging HARD. Eve in the Renault Clio Cup I'm 11.5 seconds off the pace, which is un-precedented in any other game. The amount of tuning that you HAVE to do, to have any chance is really high, and after 3 last place finishes, I just cannot dial out the massive amounts of understeer. Not having a wheel (since P:C uses only boutique expensive ones) doesn't help.

So did it live up to the hype? No. Was it worth 3 years? No. Is it fun? Yes. Will I buy the sequel? Probably not.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

That's weird, I saw other people saying at launch that the AI in pCARS is piss slow, although they do enjoy contact too much. Now maybe those people are liars or they patched the AI since launch.

It might grab it if comes up on a Steam sale to see what's what.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Enforcer wrote:That's weird, I saw other people saying at launch that the AI in pCARS is piss slow, although they do enjoy contact too much. Now maybe those people are liars or they patched the AI since launch.

While there was a 2.8gb patch to download, I think it has more to do with the Massive amounts of understeer in the Clio. I have to brake way way way early to actually get the front end around the corner, and everyone just dives I much deeper than me. 3 or 4 corners in, I'm sunk.

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Wallio wrote:
Enforcer wrote:That's weird, I saw other people saying at launch that the AI in pCARS is piss slow, although they do enjoy contact too much. Now maybe those people are liars or they patched the AI since launch.

While there was a 2.8gb patch to download, I think it has more to do with the Massive amounts of understeer in the Clio. I have to brake way way way early to actually get the front end around the corner, and everyone just dives I much deeper than me. 3 or 4 corners in, I'm sunk.

It was on sale on Steam at the weekend and I got it for £24, I am hoping that they have fixed some of the issues with the game. I just need to get my computer sorted before I can give a verdict on it.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Who plays ORIS Reaction Race? It is basically some sort of reaction timing game for smartphones, featuring Williams F1 Team. My scores: (not participating for the competition)

Starting grid: 0.363
Gear changes: 1.231
Braking zones: 0.871
Pitstops: 1.795
Finish line: 0.004 :dance:
Total reaction: 4.264
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

So I've never so much as watched a lap at Bathurst in a racing sim before, much less actually drove one. So with GT1's there on iRacing this week, I hopped in my Aston and gave it a bash:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLw8h5v2jQ8

That happened a lot. So I think race wins are definitely on.
TheFlyingCaterham

Post by TheFlyingCaterham »

Starting a TOCA Race Driver 2 playthrough on the PS2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy48hi0xSRs

The quality of my voice is certainly not the best, and neither is the racing, really, because of the AI being slow as on the first couple of championships.
Resident Track Designer Addict

2016 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Champion
2017 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Runner-Up

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
Whiteshore

Post by Whiteshore »

https://forum.choiceofgames.com/t/grand ... ded/12043/

Anyone interested in helping with the game?
Unafraid of the papaya!
RealRacingRoots

Post by RealRacingRoots »

Bought PCars a week and change ago to co-incide with getting a PS4 and a good game, that being Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain.

The Ai is/are (?) garbage because they are slow when actually racing, lack any sense of peripheral vision, and they decide that a fifth of the field going wide outside on the exit of turn 1 and for most of the first lap of every race is a good idea. Career Mode being open ended, while seems like a good idea, removes any possibility of investment from the player of "earning" their way to the top. it's great if it's 2004 and you can only rent one game to play for the weekend before the school week starts up again, but not when it is expected that a game has to have replayability beyond the first play through; because the first play through could be the top-teir LMP1 (where it belongs) and then where do you go from there on a voluntary process; play through the game like you're suppose to ala RD:GRiD?

Handling wise? I've had worse, being the game that directly precceded this one in NFS Shift. Although one hallmark from that game that does return is the worst chase camera I've seen in a racing game.

Also the Renault Clio Cup car is indeed garbage. Little to no feedback on corner entry at any speed is a deal breaker.

Moral of the story: Stick to rFactor 1 (or 2), GTR2 and Nascar Racing 2003.
The Truth Shall set you free. (no theme music plays)
Tomáš.......Ttaaaaaaaattaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Watch this if you want to learn about what Canada is really like.
GT Super Series
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

So I went to the midnight launch of Fallout 4, and after staying up until 4am playing it, I can safely say the hype is real, and true. GOTY no question. MGSV be damned.

madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

Wallio wrote:So I went to the midnight launch of Fallout 4, and after staying up until 4am playing it, I can safely say the hype is real, and true. GOTY no question. MGSV be damned.

Mine turned up a day early thanks to Zavvi, so I've been in the wastelands since Monday!
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

madmark1974 wrote:
Wallio wrote:So I went to the midnight launch of Fallout 4, and after staying up until 4am playing it, I can safely say the hype is real, and true. GOTY no question. MGSV be damned.

Mine turned up a day early thanks to Zavvi, so I've been in the wastelands since Monday!

My PC Pip-Boy edition turned up yesterday and it's pretty. So very pretty.
I've only just installed it and played around a little with the character creation. Don't really have time to play until Saturday and even then only for a few hours. It's going to be December before I get a proper chance to play. But it's all good, the Pip-Boy works.

What about bugs? How has it been for you guys so far?
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Faustus wrote:
madmark1974 wrote:

My PC Pip-Boy edition turned up yesterday and it's pretty. So very pretty.
I've only just installed it and played around a little with the character creation. Don't really have time to play until Saturday and even then only for a few hours. It's going to be December before I get a proper chance to play. But it's all good, the Pip-Boy works.

What about bugs? How has it been for you guys so far?

I've noticed nothing major. I saw one character standing on a roof, but I thought she'd just gone a bit too long without a hit of Jet.

My copy turned up yesterday, played it for a bit and thought "yeah, it's fun...just need to get used to it". Managed to get COMPLETELY engrossed today, the story's cool, the crafting and building system will take up plenty of your time...it's just brilliant. It looks fantastic, it's a lot more challenging than FO3/F:NV, and the opening sequence is very, very well done.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

The only "major" bug I've noticed is that Dogmeat can wander off if you are walking around the wastes. Fast Travel and he returns. My buddies and I have all have it happen to or three times, but he always comes back. Otherwise, no big bugs yet.

I'm 9 hours in, and have done only 3 missions lol. Just having too much exploring and building up my base in the gas station. I haven't built a town yet, I'm too busy wasting time placing cigar boxes on tables, and magazines in racks lol.

Also, the "Hot Rod" paint job or the Power Armour is probably the greatest thing ever.

AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

Not that long ago, i used to sign on Football Manager someone called Will Stevens, that player made history for the club i managed in the save (some random amateur side called Murton or so...)

I want to ask if anyone had/still have a player on FM with a reject-related name, if yes, share it with us!
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:I want to ask if anyone had/still have a player on FM with a reject-related name, if yes, share it with us!

I can't think of any reject names I've had in my teams, but I've 'retired' number 17 from all my teams that I manage in honour Jules.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

AustralianStig wrote:
AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:I want to ask if anyone had/still have a player on FM with a reject-related name, if yes, share it with us!

I can't think of any reject names I've had in my teams, but I've 'retired' number 17 from all my teams that I manage in honour Jules.

Not a reject, nor was it FM, but rather FIFA Manager 2008, in which I created my own small-time team, with randomly generated player names. The goalkeeper's name?

Ryan Briscoe.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Not generated a reject name, but got two misplaced letters away from the name of a near-reject:

Dexter249

Post by Dexter249 »

Enforcer wrote:Not generated a reject name, but got two misplaced letters away from the name of a near-reject:

Heh :!:
FIAT Group, finding loopholes in the FIA rulebook since it's inception.
Gonzalez

Post by Gonzalez »

Sorry if i might be in the wrong thread but is there any place i can find some F1 1992 mods. The ones that don't fail to load and end up in a game with Cars with "TEMP" written on the side. I've been looking for them for almost 3 weeks with no success.
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

Gonzalez wrote:Sorry if i might be in the wrong thread but is there any place i can find some F1 1992 mods. The ones that don't fail to load and end up in a game with Cars with "TEMP" written on the side. I've been looking for them for almost 3 weeks with no success.

Which game? rFactor 2?
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

I'm reasonably confident I just raced the actual Rubens Barrichello (and not some kid using his name) in iRacing.

Out-qualified him too. Too bad I binned it in the race.
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

Enforcer wrote:I'm reasonably confident I just raced the actual Rubens Barrichello (and not some kid using his name) in iRacing.

Out-qualified him too. Too bad I binned it in the race.

Wow, that's pretty awesome. After a quick google it looks like Rubens is an active sim racer.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Saw this today, too:

@rubarrichello helps his son finish a Skip Barber race on @iRacing after running out of gas on the last lap https://youtu.be/gZopymnta8A"
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Decided I'd hoist the flag:

(Now if the all the default decals were removable, I'd be happier)
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Anyone on here play Rocket League? My friends got me into it, and while I'm pretty awful, I do enjoy it so. My PSN name is Wallio_ so add me if you play and need your ranking lowered quickly lol. :D

madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

I tried out that new Final Fantasy XV "Platinum Demo" on PS4 last night.

It took around 1 hour to do everything, and none of it was particularly enjoyable to be honest.

It must be about 10 years now since I've liked anything 'Final Fantasy' - XIII was enough to put me off the
series so much that I didn't bother with XIII-2 (though I did finish XIII - I kind of forced myself to do it and
didn't like it at all), and haven't bought any of the other spin-offs or re-makes or anything since.

I will certainly wait for reviews and player opinions before buying XV.
Bobby Doorknobs

For any Elder Scrolls fans on here:

It's taken me about two years of leaving it and coming back again, but tonight I've finally finished Arena. Man, does that game enjoy kicking you in the balls...

Unlike later games in the series it isn't heavy on lore. In fact, there isn't much lore to begin with. You have the nine provinces, each with its own race, except Cyrodiil because Bethesda hadn't come up with Imperials as a separate race yet. Orcs also just appear as enemies, not a playable race on their own. Apart from that you get some very basic background on the empire and... not much else really apart from some small details that would be contradicted by later games. It's funny walking through the Imperial City with no arena, Arcane University or White Gold Tower in sight :P Speaking of White Gold Tower, the Imperial Palace has certainly changed a bit:

The story's pretty simple: Emperor Uriel Septim VII (who sadly isn't voiced by Patrick Stewart this time round) is trapped in another dimension by his court mage, and you have to free him by gathering the eight pieces of the Staff of Chaos, which are scattered all over the continent of Tamriel, which is only about the size of freaking Africa (no really, the game world is that huge, thank Akatosh for fast travel).

One of the reasons I found myself repeatedly turning my back on the game was (apart from the often insane difficulty) the amount of bugs that almost made it impossible to complete without going back to a previous save. Two problems in particular were being ambushed several times by high level enemies that literally appeared out of nowhere (four iron golems on one dark elf warrior is not a pleasant experience) and one incident in Red Mountain where I had to pick up a key off the body of a vampire, which of course disappeared, rendering it impossible to bypass the door that needed to be unlocked.

Because of the game's sheer size, much of it is randomly generated, from terrain, to shop names, to dungeons, to people, with some... unfortunate results:

I also found this nice reference in the Valenwood city of Eldenroot:

Anyway, that leaves Daggerfall as the only main game in the series I have yet to finish. I've come close before, almost getting the Totem of Tiber Septim before, yes, a game-breaking bug prevented me from picking it up. Reverting to an earlier save didn't help, so I started a new game. Maybe one day I'll finish this new save.
#FreeGonzo
Bobby Doorknobs

Two weeks later...

So now I've finished Daggerfall too. And let me tell you, it's quite a step forward from Arena... mostly. It's buggy as hell, even by Bethesda standards. More so than Arena in my experience. I've done more than a few quests that were rendered uncompletable by the fact that the objective just sort of... didn't exist at all. The climbing skill is a bit broken as I've phased through walls and ended up falling off the map a few times, so... yeah. That said, I have somehow managed to complete the main quest without any game-breaking bugs whatsoever :dance:

Daggerfall is an awesome game once you get the run of things; it is very unforgiving at first, but nowhere near the level of Arena and by the time you're out of the first dungeon you should get a hang of the controls and have some pretty decent equipment. It introduced a lot of series staples like guilds and a skill-leveling system. It also has some other cool elements that were sadly taken out later like banking: Unlike in other games gold isn't weightless, so it's necessary to put it in a bank where it... won't gain interest. Oh well, it's a nice slice-of-life feature I guess.

The main quest is really cool. Unlike the other games there's no "you are the chosen one" plot. Instead, there's lots of court intrigue and plot twists and depending on who you side with there are seven different endings, which caused Bethesda some problems when they were writing the lore for Morrowind, so instead of going, say, the Knights of the Old Republic route and just picking one for the canon they made all seven endings happen at the same time! Players of the later games may be familiar with the in-game book The Warp in the West, which explains how this mindscrew event happened.

Guild questlines are also handled in an interesting way: There's no real 'plot' to them, and the jobs you do are sort of what you'd expect each guild to do (go and take out these rats that have infested this house, for example), but you have to check in with a guild once a month and do quests, otherwise you could get demoted or even expelled for doing nothing. Also, like in Morrowind, you have to have certain skills at a certain level before you can be promoted, something I think is sorely lacking in more recent games.

All in all a really good game and a lot more enjoyable than Arena.
#FreeGonzo
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

For those of you who have played the Android/iOS gem that is Motorsport Manager, there has been some incredibly exciting news.

Motorsport Manager has teamed up with none other than Sega's Sports Interactive team (who make Football Manager) to create this.

I am so incredibly excited for September. Apparently the game will be mod-able, so may even be useful for virtual series.

Here's F1Fanatic's report, which goes into a little more detail.

CoopsII wrote:

madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

Gran Turismo Sport has been announced for November this year, and, according to Metro, features :

The Sport moniker is primarily a reference to eSports, with the game featuring regular online events where you compete for a real FIA licence; while at the same time receiving Twitter-like updates on how everyone else is doing.

PlayStation VR support will also be another big feature, with driving games always working particularly well with virtual reality.

Both a campaign and arcade mode are promised, plus, for the first time, a livery editor. There’s also an enhanced photo mode called Scapes, which can output images in 4K.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2016/05/19/gran-turi ... z49BcrJcWC

Now, I've played every single GT (and prologues) right through to the end (minus a few Endurance races here and
there), but I'm not sure if any of the above particularly interests me.

I'll likely end up buying it anyway, but ...

Anyone excited about this?
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

madmark1974 wrote:Gran Turismo Sport has been announced for November this year, and, according to Metro, features :

The Sport moniker is primarily a reference to eSports, with the game featuring regular online events where you compete for a real FIA licence; while at the same time receiving Twitter-like updates on how everyone else is doing.

PlayStation VR support will also be another big feature, with driving games always working particularly well with virtual reality.

Both a campaign and arcade mode are promised, plus, for the first time, a livery editor. There’s also an enhanced photo mode called Scapes, which can output images in 4K.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2016/05/19/gran-turi ... z49BcrJcWC

Now, I've played every single GT (and prologues) right through to the end (minus a few Endurance races here and
there), but I'm not sure if any of the above particularly interests me.

I'll likely end up buying it anyway, but ...

Anyone excited about this?

First of all, people (not specifically you mad) need to stop trying to make "esports" a thing. It just isn't. But more worryingly, "where you compete for a real FIA licence" ummmm what?

Looked I'ved played every GT. They are fantastic sims. But in no way does winning a few online races qualify you for a competition license. Who in the hell thought that was a good idea?