The Tommy Wiseau Movie Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
TheFlyingCaterham

Re: The Tommy Wiseau Movie Thread

Post by TheFlyingCaterham »

The first teaser from the new Cars movie (Cars 3) came out on Monday, and it seems particularly dark, for a Pixar film at least.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E4K7JgPJ8-s
Resident Track Designer Addict

2016 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Champion
2017 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Runner-Up

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

The contents of this post were removed by the author.
#FreeGonzo
TheFlyingCaterham

Post by TheFlyingCaterham »

Simtek wrote:
TheFlyingCaterham wrote:...and it seems particularly dark...

Translation: They changed the colour balance to make it look 'serious'.

Well, what I meant is that the teaser doesn't really make the movie appear as light-hearted as a lot of Pixar films are, but I see where you are coming from. I think it's just that particular scene that is dark in this movie and the rest will just be another normal light-hearted Pixar movie. Like what happened with Toy Story 3: Most of the movie was light-hearted and then you had the incinerator scene (which scared me a lot when I first watched it), and I expect Cars 3 to be similar.

I think I might be slightly overdoing this.
Resident Track Designer Addict

2016 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Champion
2017 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Runner-Up

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Well, I certainly enjoyed Rogue One. An actual prequel that felt like a prequel and I personally had no problem with that CGI character.
Just For One Day...
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

CoopsII wrote:Well, I certainly enjoyed Rogue One. An actual prequel that felt like a prequel and I personally had no problem with that CGI character.

I agree - I thought it was an excellent film, and my son (10 years old) did too!
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Bobby Doorknobs

#FreeGonzo
Meatwad

Re: The Ed Wood Movie Thread

Post by Meatwad »

Last edited by Meatwad on 15 Apr 2019, 00:34, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Well I did it. A few days ago, a friend and I finally got round to watching Driven. And what an experience. I'm still processing what the hell it was that I watched. I mean, most of the movie isn't even about or featuring racing. It's just lots of people having conflicts. The cliches abound, and the movie raises so many questions, like:
- Why do the cars take off into the air inexplicably?
- How do the drivers start the cars without any help at a promo event?
- Why is there fuel in a showcar at a promo event?
- How does Sylvester Stallone reach the scene of the climactic crash before the emergency services do?
- How do the coins stick to Stallone's wheels when they have already flown up in the air?
- Why is there an abandoned lake in the middle of a race circuit where there is absolutely nobody there?
- Why is it that when Memo's car is in the air in slow-motion, the cars on the circuit are travelling in normal motion?
- If Stallone's character and Brandenburg's ex-partners hate the fact that they were too devoted to racing and not to their relationships, why did both strike up relationships, not just with other race-drivers, but with race-drivers who had very close relationships with the original partners?
- Why were Burt Reynolds' eyebrows black but his hair white?
- Why was Burt Reynolds going to fire someone who was a few points behind the championship leader going into the final race?

I do love how, after the utterly outrageous movie comes to a close, there is a somewhat serious tone as the movie pays respect to the actual drivers of the Champ Car Series. There is some kind of irony to the fact that this movie is at once respectful to the drivers yet completely disrespectful in its portrayal of what motor racing is like, or how it functions. Then again, I never watched Champ Car, so maybe it's actually a 100% accurate portrayal. The important thing is that I 100% endorse this movie and recommend that you watch it. :geek:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Rob Dylan wrote:I do love how, after the utterly outrageous movie comes to a close, there is a somewhat serious tone as the movie pays respect to the actual drivers of the Champ Car Series. There is some kind of irony to the fact that this movie is at once respectful to the drivers yet completely disrespectful in its portrayal of what motor racing is like, or how it functions. Then again, I never watched Champ Car, so maybe it's actually a 100% accurate portrayal. The important thing is that I 100% endorse this movie and recommend that you watch it. :geek:

I feel that is the biggest disappointment in Driven. The components are there for an at least decent motorsport movie, yet the writing, complete disregard for physics or the sport of racing let it down. Driven with the screenwriting style of Rush would be a completely different - and in my opinion better - experience.
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Bobby Doorknobs

#FreeGonzo
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Thoughts on Ford v. Ferrari

On Tuesday, Nuppiz and I went to the cinema to see the new movie which apparently has two names: Ford v. Ferrari, or Le Mans '66. I must say I thought it was super good.

The basics:
- I found out afterwards that the movie was 2 and a half hours long. I'll tell you that it goes by in a breeze; I had no idea it was that long, the pacing is fantastic.
- I learned a huge amount more about a period of history I didn't know too much about. Even though it's a Hollywood movie and some of the things are probably swapped around, I regardless was really interested in what was going on and didn't feel like things were being cheapened.
- The special effects were mostly great. The occasional bit of CGI but only something a picky person like myself would notice. A lot of practical effects, and they quite clearly used actual tracks a couple of times for shooting. It's these driving scenes that make the movie a mile a minute - no pun intended.

Main thoughts:
- You have a movie which doesn't give away its true purpose to the end. Because of that it's a really rewarding watch. The ending, SPOILERS which shows that the movie is basically a love letter to Ken Miles, whom the director obviously feels is an unjustly forgotten character in motor-racing (I'd never heard of him), and that his story is a tragic one rather than one of redemption SPOILERS was a surprise even to me, who considers himself someone that knows a little bit about vroom vroom driving racing and stuff. I feel genuinely and truly rewarded for giving this movie a shot.
- The Italians are actually speaking Italian. It's sometimes too much to even expect the basic amount of cultural sensitivity or respect from Hollywood, but here they did take the angle of having the Ferrari pit crew actually played by (I think) Italian actors speaking Italian and looking Italian. Rather than just English with an Italian accent, which is the absolute bottom of the barrel that Hollywood almost always panders to.
- The movie surprisingly is very cynical of Ferrari. Another pre-watch worry was that it would be a Hollywood "How America won everything" film, but it must have been made by a racing lover, because it is very passionate about the racers on both sides, whilst criticising anything that was "corporate" going on. Therefore the meddling of the Ford Motor Company was cast quite bitterly and critically, which I quite liked. Ferrari weren't given a clean break either, though the movie certainly takes aim at Ford more.

Other stuff, let me think...
- I have no idea how much of the movie is true. But as an ignorant spectator, I really liked it. What did I not like? Many of the sets felt a little small. They had a few repeated locations, and otherwise the movie kind of stays within those. Most of the budget went on the cars and the driving scenes, which was wise, but I find a lot of the world-building aspect is sacrificed as they couldn't show a huge amount of wide shots, whilst the soundtrack is just kind of there.

But yeah, I would highly recommend the new movie.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Rob Dylan wrote:- I found out afterwards that the movie was 2 and a half hours long. I'll tell you that it goes by in a breeze; I had no idea it was that long, the pacing is fantastic.

Eh, I have to disagree with you there. I went to see it opening night with my old man (who being alive then, and remembering the GT40 program could call BS on alot) and we both enjoyed it, but it could easily be half an hour shorter. It drags in the middle, and weirdly, the end. Although we knew the length before we went, so maybe that skewed our perception.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

So Nuppiz showed me the original Le Mans movie with Steve McQueen. Fantastic stuff. Very stylish in its almost documentary-like tone. Probably because half of it is just footage of the actual race. You just don't get movies like that these days, where there is almost no dialogue in the first 20 minutes of the whole movie!

And as for the actual "plot" of the movie outside of the racing, I think the movie could even have skipped the whole emotional thing going on behind the scenes. McQueen doesn't smile once during the whole movie, and I get that it's pushing just how serious and deadly the life of a racing driver was in 1971. However, it all played a little TOO serious for my liking, to the point where the female lead plays it very flat.

I'd give it an 8/10, the racing, everything about the race itself was brilliant and really got me pumped for this weekend's race.

We then re-watched Rush. It still holds up, and I got a bit emotional seeing the real Lauda at the very end of the movie. We've lost both of those guys now.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

According to Autosport, there is an upcoming F1 themed movie coming our way, set to be featuring Brad Pitt. Is it going to be Grand Prix quality, or is it going to be Driven to the Pitts?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dr-baker wrote:According to Autosport, there is an upcoming F1 themed movie coming our way, set to be featuring Brad Pitt. Is it going to be Grand Prix quality, or is it going to be Driven to the Pitts?

More information found in another Autosport article:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/lewis-hamilton-to-be-subject-of-new-documentary-on-apple-tv-/8852854/ wrote: Hamilton, who previously starred in the Cars animated franchise and was among the many star names that made cameos in Zoolander 2, has also been linked as a consultant and possible actor in the upcoming Apple Original Films F1 movie project starring Brad Pitt.

Reports suggest that Pitt will play a veteran racing star who comes out of retirement to mentor a young driver, while taking his own last chance at on-track glory.

Legendary Top Gun producer Jerry Bruckheimer is leading that project, with Top Gun: Maverick director Joseph Kosinski and scriptwriter Ehren Kruger also on board. Bruckheimer’s last motor racing-themed movie was Days of Thunder, the NASCAR blockbuster starring Tom Cruise in 1990.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA