2012 Belgian Grand Prix Discussion Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
tommykl

2012 Belgian Grand Prix Discussion Thread

Post by tommykl »

And we'll start with some weather updates. It was absolutely pourig last night, and more of the same expected for Friday, but no rain forecasted for either Saturday or Sunday.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
RealRacingRoots

Re: 2012 Belgian Grand Prix Discussion Thread

Post by RealRacingRoots »

tommykl wrote:And we'll start with some weather updates. It was absolutely pourig last night, and more of the same expected for Friday, but no rain forecasted for either Saturday or Sunday.

:cry:

Seriously.
The Truth Shall set you free. (no theme music plays)
Tomáš.......Ttaaaaaaaattaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Watch this if you want to learn about what Canada is really like.
GT Super Series
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

2005's race was great (with that certain Canadian who's putting his controversial neck on the line doing only one pit stop), so was 2008 with its final laps. And both races included rain.
We don't really need a somewhat sub-par race (somewhat like in 2007?), but it's definitely going to cure the deprivation.

I'm still rooting for a Räikkönen win, though.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Shizuka wrote:2005's race was great (with that certain Canadian who's putting his controversial neck on the line doing only one pit stop), so was 2008 with its final laps. And both races included rain.
We don't really need a somewhat sub-par race (somewhat like in 2007?), but it's definitely going to cure the deprivation.

I'm still rooting for a Räikkönen win, though.

How about 2006? :lol:
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Don't trick me, there wasn't a Belgian GP in 2006 ;)

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Shizuka wrote:Don't trick me, there wasn't a Belgian GP in 2006 ;)

I must be confusing it with Hungary 2006. Brain fade, indeed :oops:
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

well that practice session told us very little since it was a total washout, except that sauber, Toro Rosso and Williams look strong in the wet, Mclaren on the other hand not so! The most interesting aspect of news I caught was when one pit reporter was around Marussia and apparently they have some form of double DRS! I'll believe that when I see it; as it would seem a bit daft to work on something as small as that instead of fundamental overall downforce improvement surely?
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
mario

Post by mario »

sswishbone wrote:well that practice session told us very little since it was a total washout, except that sauber, Toro Rosso and Williams look strong in the wet, Mclaren on the other hand not so! The most interesting aspect of news I caught was when one pit reporter was around Marussia and apparently they have some form of double DRS! I'll believe that when I see it; as it would seem a bit daft to work on something as small as that instead of fundamental overall downforce improvement surely?

The BBC's report on the first practise session does seem to confirm that Marussia do have a double DRS available, and that they intend to use it in the second practise session if the conditions are dry enough for race control to enable the DRS. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/19434547

If that is indeed correct, I would agree that it is a strange decision for Marussia to have made - the potential performance gain from the DDRS is relatively limited (a few tenths of a second, when most of the time Marussia are around 4 seconds off the leading pace and around a second a lap behind Caterham in qualifying trim), especially since that performance gain is only available to the team in qualifying, and will not really significantly close the gap between themselves and Caterham given that Caterham have been bringing in a few small updates for their car too.
It does seem like a waste of resources when Marussia need are updates that significantly increase the amount of downforce that the car produces in race trim - McLaren and Sauber both publicly dismissed developing a DDRS because they did not believe that it offers good value for money (i.e. larger performance gains could be found elsewhere with the same, or fewer, resources that would be needed to develop a DDRS), and they are outfits who do have the resources to potentially develop a DDRS in parallel with other upgrades.

[EDIT] On the topic of DRS, I forgot to mention that the FIA intends to make the DRS zone shorter this year because it felt that it was too effective last year - the activation point is now 50 metres further down the track.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

mario wrote:
sswishbone wrote:well that practice session told us very little since it was a total washout, except that sauber, Toro Rosso and Williams look strong in the wet, Mclaren on the other hand not so! The most interesting aspect of news I caught was when one pit reporter was around Marussia and apparently they have some form of double DRS! I'll believe that when I see it; as it would seem a bit daft to work on something as small as that instead of fundamental overall downforce improvement surely?

The BBC's report on the first practise session does seem to confirm that Marussia do have a double DRS available, and that they intend to use it in the second practise session if the conditions are dry enough for race control to enable the DRS. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/19434547

Taking a quick look outside my window, I'd say there's no chance they'll have any sort of dry weather. At all.

Ladies and gentlemen, IT'S RAININ' SIDEWAYS!
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

These plebians playing that F1 game are confirmed for Reject Of The Race, no matter what else happens this weekend.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Klon wrote:These plebians playing that F1 game are confirmed for Reject Of The Race, no matter what else happens this weekend.

Back when I raced in an online league, I needed them. It would make me look better, as I always finished last.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

According to live timing, Charles Pic sets the fastest time in FP2! :D
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Meatwad wrote:According to live timing, Charles Pic sets the fastest time in FP2! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zWOGQQyaAQ

This is the greatest Free Practice of all time ... OF ALL TIME! Charles Pic must be bound for a huge leap in 2013.
QuickYoda41

Post by QuickYoda41 »

Kobayashi and Pic win FPs, I'm really looking forward the rest of the weekend now. :D :D
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

When was the last time the fastest time in a practice session was 2:49?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

This. Is. HRT's. Race. ~GwilymJJames :D

I wish. :)
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

FMecha wrote:This. Is. HRT's. Race. ~GwilymJJames :D

This is Marussia's race, judging by FP2
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

redbulljack14 wrote:
FMecha wrote:This. Is. HRT's. Race. ~GwilymJJames :D

This is Marussia's race, judging by FP2

I wanted to use :oops: again here but you're true about this will be Marussia's, so no need for the oops smiley :lol:
mario

Post by mario »

Meatwad wrote:According to live timing, Charles Pic sets the fastest time in FP2! :D

Davidson was talking about the fact that Pic should try and get the best time in that session since nobody else was really trying to set a timed lap - 14 drivers didn't set a lap time and 6 drivers did not even bother to leave the garage, so it was the perfect opportunity for a glory run (which he promptly went and did).
By the sounds of things, though, the team that could lose the most from that is likely to be Lotus - if the weather is dry tomorrow, either they will only have an hour to try to dial in their new DDRS (on top of the normal running that they would need to do to prepare their race set ups), which could compromise their set up work, or they will have to ditch their DDRS and accept that they won't have the performance advantage they were hoping to have in qualifying.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
IceG

Post by IceG »

"They should wind-tunnel test rudders for this race" - Crofty
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

East Londoner wrote:Thanks a bunch, Enoch. :evil:

Are you sure it isn't the team trying to even the score for Golden Boy? Conspiracy theorists, stand up.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

The Marussia double-DRS is a mystery, their press release states that they've brought updated front and rear wings and new exhausts to the track which they wanted to test out in dry weather to check they work correctly, and having looked at a load of photos from the two practice sessions, I can't see anything different with the rear wing of the car that would suggest they're running a double-DRS.

redbulljack14 wrote:This is Marussia's race, judging by FP2

Couldn't have said it better myself! :D
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

AndreaModa wrote:The Marussia double-DRS is a mystery, their press release states that they've brought updated front and rear wings and new exhausts to the track which they wanted to test out in dry weather to check they work correctly, and having looked at a load of photos from the two practice sessions, I can't see anything different with the rear wing of the car that would suggest they're running a double-DRS.

Hopefully FP2 turns out to be a depictor of the race, because that would be an epic result. Maybe if they concentrate, Marussia's race won't become unpicked by the picturesque surroundings of Spa. If one of the Marussias trundles inconspicuously around the track, they might be in for an untypical victory
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

pasta_maldonado wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:The Marussia double-DRS is a mystery, their press release states that they've brought updated front and rear wings and new exhausts to the track which they wanted to test out in dry weather to check they work correctly, and having looked at a load of photos from the two practice sessions, I can't see anything different with the rear wing of the car that would suggest they're running a double-DRS.

Hopefully FP2 turns out to be a depictor of the race, because that would be an epic result. Maybe if they concentrate, Marussia's race won't become unpicked by the picturesque surroundings of Spa. If one of the Marussias trundles inconspicuously around the track, they might be in for an untypical victory

Sir, you couldn't have pictured the race better.
mario

Post by mario »

Phoenix wrote:
East Londoner wrote:Thanks a bunch, Enoch. :evil:

Are you sure it isn't the team trying to even the score for Golden Boy? Conspiracy theorists, stand up.

It could just be that Webber has suffered something of a statistical fluke - after all, a few other teams have had multiple gearbox failures this season (Lotus have had two this season, one each for Romain and Kimi), and Red Bull have had a few slight issues with their gearboxes over the years. In fact, the number of damaged gearboxes that have cropped up this year is rather strange - almost every single race weekend has seen a driver needing to change his gearbox prematurely, which is odd when you consider that only Williams appears to have made any radical changes to their gearbox in recent years.

Back to this race weekend - it appears that Lotus have ditched their plans to use their DDRS this weekend, with Boullier announcing that Lotus intend to revert back to a conventional rear wing rather than risk getting sidetracked during the limited running they are expected to have available to them tomorrow. http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2012/08/31/l ... vice-hold/
tzerof1

Post by tzerof1 »

Not to break up the epic pun fest, but do any of you all think that, given the rather unpredictable nature of Spa weather, maybe the teams should've done a bit more running( at least in FP1) to refine their wet-weather setups in spite of the risk of bent machinery and the tyre regulations?
"If you don't like it, overtake or f**k off!"- Niki Lauda responding to complaints of his Brabham BT46 'fan car" throwing debris in drivers' faces.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

In all of F1, GP2 and GP3, a Marussia-sponsored car has been fastest in at least one session!
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

This wrote:In all of F1, GP2 and GP3, a Marussia-sponsored car has been fastest in at least one session!

One session may have been a freak result, two sessions is a coincidence, but three sessions is a pattern...

This is Marussia's race. :shock:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

East Londoner wrote:
This wrote:In all of F1, GP2 and GP3, a Marussia-sponsored car has been fastest in at least one session!

One session may have been a freak result, two sessions is a coincidence, but three sessions is a pattern...

I said it first. Therefore if it comes to fruition, I shall be worshipped as a god who foretold the most amazing victory in the history of Grand Prix racing.
RealRacingRoots

Post by RealRacingRoots »

redbulljack14 wrote:
East Londoner wrote:

I said it first. Therefore if it comes to fruition, I shall be worshipped as a god who foretold the most amazing victory in the history of Grand Prix racing.

Don't forget the Unrejectification with a Victory, potentially for Charles and Marussia at the same time!
The Truth Shall set you free. (no theme music plays)
Tomáš.......Ttaaaaaaaattaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Watch this if you want to learn about what Canada is really like.
GT Super Series
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

RealRacingRoots wrote:
redbulljack14 wrote:
East Londoner wrote:This is Marussia's race. :shock:

Don't forget the Unrejectification with a Victory, potentially for Charles and Marussia at the same time!

Exactly why it'll be the greatest victory of all time.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

...and the duck was ninth.

I am going to do a rain dance in the morning and hope that its vibes somehow set off a butterfly-causing-a-hurricane chain reaction that makes the rain batter down on Spa by the oceanful.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

RealRacingRoots wrote:
redbulljack14 wrote:
East Londoner wrote:One session may have been a freak result, two sessions is a coincidence, but three sessions is a pattern...

In which case we'll have to change the IIDOTR criteria for the second time this year :lol:

TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Marussia 2nd and 3rd with 15 minutes gone and virtually everyone's set a laptime. This is their weekend for sure. :mrgreen: :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
mario

Post by mario »

Bad news for Nico Rosberg - he has pulled off the track with a potential gearbox failure (he ended up stuck in 6th gear when he tried to shift up into 7th and seemed to lose all drive). That might make him the second driver needing a premature gearbox change - he'd also be the second driver who had to change his gearbox in both Germany and Spa if he has to take a replacement gearbox (which is odd given that the intervening races aren't normally the worst on the transmissions).
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Interesting fact: This weekend will be Michael Schumacher's 300th Grand Prix weekend. Won't be his 300th start however, that'll be in Singapore.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Caterham being honest about their upgrades since Silverstone. Saying they've been disappointed that the package hasn't worked yet, although a lot of wet practice sessions havent helped. They also expect qualifying to be typical Caterham, ahead of marussia and HRT and being everyone else. So that's 19th for Kovalainen and 20th for Petrov.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
S951

Post by S951 »

going for a sauber surprise for quali
Luca Badoer we miss you appreciation group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/187177268036270/
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Wizzie wrote:Interesting fact: This weekend will be Michael Schumacher's 300th Grand Prix weekend. Won't be his 300th start however, that'll be in Singapore.

What caused him to miss the starts? I don't think he's ever DNQd
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?