2014 Silly Season Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Ross Prawn

2014 Silly Season Thread

Post by Ross Prawn »

What do we make of this??

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/19941541

Vettel to Ferrari for 2014 claims the BBC. :o
"Other than the car behind and the driver who might get a bit startled with the sudden explosion in front, it really isn't a major safety issue from that point of view,"
Backmarker

Re: 2014 Silly Season Thread

Post by Backmarker »

It's one of those "I'll believe it when I see it" things. Personally I don't think Vettel wants to leave Red Bull/Newey, I don't think Alonso wants Vettel, and I don't think Ferrari want to upset Alonso. For me, Hulkenberg is looking to be likely to drive for Ferrari in 2014. If I put a guess up now, everyone can laugh at me in 2014:

Caterham
Pic
Rossi

Enstone
Raikkonen
Grosjean

Ferrari
Alonso
Hulkenberg

Force India
Alguersuari
Di Resta

HRT
Petrov
Clos

Marussia
Glock
Chilton

Mercedes
Hamilton
Rosberg

McLaren
Button
Perez

Red Bull
Vettel
Ricciardo

Sauber
Kovalainen
Gutierrez

Toro Rosso
Da Costa
Kvyat

Williams
Maldonado
Bottas
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

... can we please not have the 2014 Silly Season thread before the 2013 one is officially over?
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Ross Prawn wrote:What do we make of this??

Autosport or it hasn't happened. And guess what? Autosport states it hasn't yet happened.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

dr-baker wrote:

Autosport or it hasn't happened. And guess what? Autosport states it hasn't yet happened.

Autosport gives no editorial opinion either way in that article.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Ed24 wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

Autosport gives no editorial opinion either way in that article.

But there is definitely no confirmation of any contract there, or even of any immediate interest in him...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

Of course there's no confirmation yet because if anything, it's likely only a pre-agreement with exit clauses before the deal would be finalised.

And furthermore, Ferrari have a history of denying contracts (Raikkonen, Alonso etc.) so you can hardly take his words solely on face value. Also, Ferrari do have a history of signing drivers about 18 months before they commence, so the timing of these rumours would be about right.
-Abraham Lincoln
McDuck

Post by McDuck »

German driver winning in an Italian car at Monza.

Yeah, Vettel already ticked off that box back in 2008.

Unless Red Bull plans to fire and/or kill Newey, cancel their contract with Renault, and pull out in 2014, he'd be wiser to stay put.

Ferrari has a great history, but there's no point in driving for them and putting up with their crap if they're not consistently P1 material.
The USA is three meals away from chaos.
TheBigJ

Post by TheBigJ »

The BBC clearly are one step ahead of everyone else due to their vast array of contacts. Hamilton going to Mercedes was a big surprise and Jordan deserves a lot of credit for finding that out. The Hulkenburg rumor appears to be true too.

I don't think Vettel has made his mind up yet though. Certainly a big blow for Red Bull if true.
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

TheBigJ wrote:The BBC clearly are one step ahead of everyone else due to their vast array of contacts. Hamilton going to Mercedes was a big surprise and Jordan deserves a lot of credit for finding that out. The Hulkenburg rumor appears to be true too.

I don't think Vettel has made his mind up yet though. Certainly a big blow for Red Bull if true.

Than I suppose the news that Hulkenberg is going to Sauber should be taken seriously then? I was hoping it was just a rumor... :cry:
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
TheBigJ

Post by TheBigJ »

tristan1117 wrote:
TheBigJ wrote:The BBC clearly are one step ahead of everyone else due to their vast array of contacts. Hamilton going to Mercedes was a big surprise and Jordan deserves a lot of credit for finding that out. The Hulkenburg rumor appears to be true too.

Than I suppose the news that Hulkenberg is going to Sauber should be taken seriously then? I was hoping it was just a rumor... :cry:

Lets just say its more than just a rumour at this stage. The second seat at Sauber is the one that the BBC haven't committed to, "tipping" Gutierrez.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

McDuck wrote:Ferrari has a great history, but there's no point in driving for them and putting up with their crap if they're not consistently P1 material.

Jean Alesi

That is all.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

kostas22 wrote:
McDuck wrote:Ferrari has a great history, but there's no point in driving for them and putting up with their crap if they're not consistently P1 material.

Jean Alesi

That is all.

Also Gilles Villeneuve.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

I don't see Vettel going to Ferrari as something impossible. He's already won two titles and might be on his way to a third, so going to Ferrari and trying to win there can be a very seductive proposition for him. Besides, he's spent a good few years with Red Bull already. Nothing motivates like a new challenge. It's going to happen if Alonso gives his approval.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Phoenix wrote:I don't see Vettel going to Ferrari as something impossible. He's already won two titles and might be on his way to a third, so going to Ferrari and trying to win there can be a very seductive proposition for him. Besides, he's spent a good few years with Red Bull already. Nothing motivates like a new challenge. It's going to happen if Alonso gives his approval.

All true. But I will add that I doubt Vettel will add new championships to his tally after moving to Ferrari... Alonso isn't making it, so I don't think it is Vettel who will be making it.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Part of the reason I'm fascinated to see this move is where it will leave Red Bull with drivers - Webber will be due to retire in a couple of seasons, and I can;t see Hamilton giving up on Mercedes after one season, or Button wanting to leave McLaren, so will they have to have two junior drivers for 2014 (or Webber and a junior driver)?
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

DanielPT wrote:
Phoenix wrote:I don't see Vettel going to Ferrari as something impossible. He's already won two titles and might be on his way to a third, so going to Ferrari and trying to win there can be a very seductive proposition for him. Besides, he's spent a good few years with Red Bull already. Nothing motivates like a new challenge. It's going to happen if Alonso gives his approval.

All true. But I will add that I doubt Vettel will add new championships to his tally after moving to Ferrari... Alonso isn't making it, so I don't think it is Vettel who will be making it.

Alonso hasn't managed to do it because Ferrari hasn't been able to build consistently good cars for the past two years. In 2010, when they had a real contender in the F10, they screwed up at the last race on strategy.

Remember Michael Schumacher joined Ferrari in 1996 and it took him until 2000 to win a title with Ferrari. It was all because Williams and McLaren built faster cars and Schumacher spent too many time trying to keep up. But they should produce another great car sometime, and who knows if Vettel will be there to benefit...
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

James1978 wrote:Part of the reason I'm fascinated to see this move is where it will leave Red Bull with drivers - Webber will be due to retire in a couple of seasons, and I can;t see Hamilton giving up on Mercedes after one season, or Button wanting to leave McLaren, so will they have to have two junior drivers for 2014 (or Webber and a junior driver)?

Ricciardo and Vergne should already be hardened by 2014. The question, though, will be if they will be able to perform consistently at the level of Vettel. And, more importantly, that Newey doesn't get bored with Red Bull or F1.
mario

Post by mario »

McDuck wrote:German driver winning in an Italian car at Monza.

Yeah, Vettel already ticked off that box back in 2008.

Unless Red Bull plans to fire and/or kill Newey, cancel their contract with Renault, and pull out in 2014, he'd be wiser to stay put.

Ferrari has a great history, but there's no point in driving for them and putting up with their crap if they're not consistently P1 material.

The terms that have been suggested by the BBC do have a performance related clause - the indication is that Ferrari can only utilise their option if they achieve certain performance goals (i.e. their position in the WCC) in 2013, so, if the rumours are true, Vettel isn't making the switch without ensuring that he will still have a competitive car.

James1978 wrote:Part of the reason I'm fascinated to see this move is where it will leave Red Bull with drivers - Webber will be due to retire in a couple of seasons, and I can;t see Hamilton giving up on Mercedes after one season, or Button wanting to leave McLaren, so will they have to have two junior drivers for 2014 (or Webber and a junior driver)?

It would be awkward for Red Bull to be a top ranking team without one of the higher rated drivers in the sport and no competitive alternative choice from their young driver program to move into the senior team. I think that Red Bull would probably go with Webber and the better of their current junior drivers - Webber has indicated that he would be interested in staying on for a few more years, and it may be the case that Red Bull need him there to provide some sort of continuity.
Mind you, they could go for a slightly left field option instead - Kimi's contract with Lotus ends in 2013, and his stint there suggests that he is still pretty competitive - might they try to pick Kimi up if Vettel does head for Ferrari?
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
James1978

Post by James1978 »

KImi makes a lot of sense to be honest.

I'd be disgusted at Hamilton if he gave up on Merc after one season so he could hop into a Red Bull........not beyong the realms of possibility though.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Didn't Kimi have Red Bull sponsorship a while ago?
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

eurobrun wrote:Didn't Kimi have Red Bull sponsorship a while ago?

He did for his first season in the WRC. There was never anything more to it than Red Bull looking to get a bit more coverage because a former Formula 1 World Champion competing in the WRC was sure to attract more attention. It was the Raikkonen fanboys who read far too much into things.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Benetton

Post by Benetton »

For 2014

Webber will join Ferrari.

Raikkonen will replace Webber at Red Bull.

Vettel will stay at Red Bull.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

I reckon Webber will go to Ferrari, since they won't give up on him that easily.

But if Red Bull take Raikkonen, it will prove that the YDP has been an expensive waste of time.

Instead, I reckon one of the Toro Rosso drivers - my guess if Vergne - will rise up; if not, they might take a chance on da Costa.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

I really can't see the logic of Webber going to Ferrari in 2014. Why would they take him over Hulkenberg for example, if they don't have Vettel?
-Abraham Lincoln
Benetton

Post by Benetton »

Ed24 wrote:I really can't see the logic of Webber going to Ferrari in 2014. Why would they take him over Hulkenberg for example, if they don't have Vettel?

@CaptainHammer True. But Raikkonen would only be a stop gap for da Costa. 2014 is a bit too soon for da Costa to drive for RBR. Vettel would also want Raikkonen as his team mate I'd imagine since they get along well in private. Vergne and Ricciardo will never drive for RBR, that is my guess.

@Ed24 Well Alonso and Webber are good friends. Webber would be an ideal Ferrari driver. It would be like the 90's again with Alonso = Schumacher and Webber = Irvine, but better. And I believe Hulkenberg will sign 2 year deal with Sauber so that makes him unavailable for 2014.
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

Alonso-Webber would be Briatore's dream partnership. I'm surprised that the two didn't end up at Renault together at some point between 2003 and 2006.
The Iceman Waiteth
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Benetton wrote:True. But Raikkonen would only be a stop gap for da Costa.

Better that they get one of their own.

When Perez moved to McLaren, his Ferrari Driver Academy contract was "not a problem". There was absolutely no fuss in getting him - Hamilton allegedly signed the Mercedes contract only days before it was announced, and McLaren were still able to get Perez and announce it to the world before Hamilton's Mercedes contract was made public. The implication is that teams cannot write contracts with their young drivers that bind them to the team - if they want out or if another team want them, they cannot be made to stay. The team and the driver program, while operated by the same people, are completely separate entities.

If Red Bull took Raikkonen for a year, they would likely lose every driver in their stable to other teams who will say "Sure, they say they'll only take Raikkonen for a year ..." and then pinch them away from the YDP. It's exactly what McLaren did with Perez.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Backmarker wrote:Alonso-Webber would be Briatore's dream partnership. I'm surprised that the two didn't end up at Renault together at some point between 2003 and 2006.

Briatore tried to persuade Webber to move there in 2005 to replace Trulli/Villeneuve. But Webber thought Williams would be the better choice.

Oh dear.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

kostas22 wrote:
Backmarker wrote:Alonso-Webber would be Briatore's dream partnership. I'm surprised that the two didn't end up at Renault together at some point between 2003 and 2006.

Briatore tried to persuade Webber to move there in 2005 to replace Trulli/Villeneuve. But Webber thought Williams would be the better choice.

Oh dear.

REALLY? Double oh dear...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
mario

Post by mario »

Captain Hammer wrote:I reckon Webber will go to Ferrari, since they won't give up on him that easily.

But if Red Bull take Raikkonen, it will prove that the YDP has been an expensive waste of time.

Instead, I reckon one of the Toro Rosso drivers - my guess if Vergne - will rise up; if not, they might take a chance on da Costa.

Most of Red Bull's young drivers have been spat out of the sport within a fairly short period of time, so it is questionable whether Red Bull really are getting their money's worth from their young driver program anyway. We have seen Bourdais, Buemi and Alguersuari thrown out of their teams in quick succession, and a few hints that neither Ricciardo or Vergne are entirely safe either (there have been suggestions that Red Bull might start running da Costa during Friday practise sessions in 2013 in case they drop one of their current Toro Rosso drivers). Furthermore, we know about Red Bull's love of publicity; signing Kimi would give the team an additional publicity boost (it has worked for Lotus this season, although that has been partially overshadowed by Grosjean and his accidents).

As for Webber and Ferrari, that is an interesting question - we know that Webber is on good personal terms with Alonso and there probably wouldn't be too much friction between the two drivers, but on the other hand Webber did mention earlier in the year, when he talked about the deal he struck with Red Bull, that he was considering committing to Red Bull for multiple years when his contract expires in 2013. He might be open to moving to Ferrari - the fact that he had talks with them this year shows that there is some interest at least - but he seems happier to stay put at Red Bull for the foreseeable future.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
IdeFan

Post by IdeFan »

mario wrote:
Captain Hammer wrote:I reckon Webber will go to Ferrari, since they won't give up on him that easily.

Most of Red Bull's young drivers have been spat out of the sport within a fairly short period of time, so it is questionable whether Red Bull really are getting their money's worth from their young driver program anyway. We have seen Bourdais, Buemi and Alguersuari thrown out of their teams in quick succession, and a few hints that neither Ricciardo or Vergne are entirely safe either (there have been suggestions that Red Bull might start running da Costa during Friday practise sessions in 2013 in case they drop one of their current Toro Rosso drivers). Furthermore, we know about Red Bull's love of publicity; signing Kimi would give the team an additional publicity boost (it has worked for Lotus this season, although that has been partially overshadowed by Grosjean and his accidents).

Don't forget Klien and Liuzzi (and since you're counting Bourdais; Robert Doornbos). Unless you happen to be Sebastien Vettel, being a Red Bull young driver actually seems to make it more difficult to progress in F1.
"Well we've got this ridiculous situation where we're all sitting by the start-finish line waiting for a winner to come past and we don't seem to be getting one!" - James Hunt, Monaco 1982
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

IdeFan wrote:
mario wrote:

Don't forget Klien and Liuzzi (and since you're counting Bourdais; Robert Doornbos). Unless you happen to be Sebastien Vettel, being a Red Bull young driver actually seems to make it more difficult to progress in F1.

The whole thing is, if you have an average season with other teams, you usually stay right where you are, but with Toro Rosso you get dropped.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

IdeFan wrote:
mario wrote:

And Enrique Bernoldi.
The Iceman Waiteth
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

quote="Backmarker"]
IdeFan wrote:
mario wrote:

And Enrique Bernoldi.[/quote]
And Norberto Fontana
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

IdeFan wrote:
mario wrote:

To be fair, Red Bull did want to keep Klien in the stable beyond 2006; just not in a F1 seat but in a Indycar drive instead (or it may have been Champcar but I know it was Stateside at any rate)
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Renault reveals (sort of) its engine for 2014:

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/news ... f1-engine/

1 CAD image of the engine and 1 photo of the engine on a dyno.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Interesting. So it'll be an overhead airbox as before rather than two small intakes on the sidepods (or a couple of NACA ducts somewhere) and a bare roll bar. And I'll bet it's all in the name of aerodynamics.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

dinizintheoven wrote:Interesting. So it'll be an overhead airbox as before rather than two small intakes on the sidepods (or a couple of NACA ducts somewhere) and a bare roll bar. And I'll bet it's all in the name of aerodynamics.

Is it bollocks. Bernie and the FIA were probably bricking at the thought of a potential "backlash" of fans against the conventional shape of an F1 car, just like they were about the sound of the engines, so most likely pussied out and wrote in a rule that mandated roll hoop airboxes, all in the name of "the show".
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

My prediction:

Ferrari
1 - Vettel
2 - Massa

RedBull - Renault
3 - Webber
4 - Ricciardo

Mercedes
5 - Hamilton
6 - Rosberg

Lotus - Renault
7 - Raikkonen
8 - Grosjean

Mclaren - Mercedes
9 - Button
10 - Perez

Force India - Mercedes
11 - Di Resta
12 - Bianchi

Sauber - Ferrari
14 - Hulkenberg
15 - Gutierrez

Williams - Renault
16 - Maldonado
17 - Barrichello

Toro Rosso - Ferrari
18 - Vergne
19 - Razia

Caterham - Renault
20 - Kobayashi
21 - Senna

Marussia - Mercedes
22 - Glock
23 - Chilton

HRT - Pure
24 - Delarosa
25 - Ma Qing Hua
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.