The 'just nipping out for a while' thread

The place for spinning interesting fictitious tales, including your virtual racing exploits
AxelP800

Re: The 'just nipping out for a while' thread

Post by AxelP800 »

Inactive from tomorrow to tuesday
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Apologies to the owners of the many series' I'm involved in, and they're all incredibly well run and organised, but I'm taking an extended break from this part of the forum. Over the past three or four months a number of things have happened in my life, and as such I can honestly no longer actively participate in a full and frank manner in the series in which I'm involved; as such, I think withdrawing en masse would probably be a better option than half-assed managing my teams to collective downfall. Thus, if all of my teams and places on waiting lists for series be struck off, I'd be very thankful.

Again, I can only apologise for the inconvenience but my heart's really not in it any more. I might return in the future once I've got everything sorted out but if I don't, thanks for making me feel welcomed over the past 3 years or so. :)
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:Apologies to the owners of the many series' I'm involved in, and they're all incredibly well run and organised, but I'm taking an extended break from this part of the forum. Over the past three or four months a number of things have happened in my life, and as such I can honestly no longer actively participate in a full and frank manner in the series in which I'm involved; as such, I think withdrawing en masse would probably be a better option than half-assed managing my teams to collective downfall. Thus, if all of my teams and places on waiting lists for series be struck off, I'd be very thankful.

Again, I can only apologise for the inconvenience but my heart's really not in it any more. I might return in the future once I've got everything sorted out but if I don't, thanks for making me feel welcomed over the past 3 years or so. :)

Shite, there goes my main supplier for alt-1955! :P

Good luck Takagi. :)
#FreeGonzo
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Everybody's leaving :cry: Good luck, though!
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
W12

Post by W12 »

Good luck, takagi_for_the_win!
Born on the same day as HWNSNBM!

Fan of: Ricciardo, Räikkönen and Marussia (R.I.P?).
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Good luck takagi_for_the_win.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Good luck Takagi!
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Best wishes, takagi. Don't forget, you're here forever.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:Apologies to the owners of the many series' I'm involved in, and they're all incredibly well run and organised, but I'm taking an extended break from this part of the forum. Over the past three or four months a number of things have happened in my life, and as such I can honestly no longer actively participate in a full and frank manner in the series in which I'm involved; as such, I think withdrawing en masse would probably be a better option than half-assed managing my teams to collective downfall. Thus, if all of my teams and places on waiting lists for series be struck off, I'd be very thankful.

Well, from what I can understand, you're only taking a step back from PMMF, and not the forum entirely, and will therefore not wish you goodbye.

However, I wish you luck in all these life events, whatever they may be, and I hope you'll get through it just fine :)

Simtek wrote:Shite, there goes my main supplier for alt-1955! :P

Well, I'm only removing the Lancia entries, you still keep your cars :P
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Bobby Doorknobs

tommykl wrote:
Simtek wrote:Shite, there goes my main supplier for alt-1955! :P

Well, I'm only removing the Lancia entries, you still keep your cars :P

True, but now I have to look elsewhere in the unlikely event that I buy another car. :P
#FreeGonzo
V8fan12

Post by V8fan12 »

I will be away from 3rd to 8th so will be unable to check PMMF.
Owner of the Peak Motorsport Group.

Biscione wrote:I mean, Renaldo Jimenez, could you ask for a more world class pay driver? Who even is Alexey Buyvolov, amirite?
Vepe

Post by Vepe »

I'll have very limited access to internet for the next 6 months to a year, as my military service begins next monday. It's quite a long time, so it would be great if someone could run my team and drivers for the time I'm not going to be here...
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Vepe wrote:I'll have very limited access to internet for the next 6 months to a year, as my military service begins next monday. It's quite a long time, so it would be great if someone could run my team and drivers for the time I'm not going to be here...

You got a list of drivers to hand? We have a system in place for temporarily/permanently reassigning drivers to other people.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Vepe

Post by Vepe »

Biscione wrote:
Vepe wrote:I'll have very limited access to internet for the next 6 months to a year, as my military service begins next monday. It's quite a long time, so it would be great if someone could run my team and drivers for the time I'm not going to be here...

You got a list of drivers to hand? We have a system in place for temporarily/permanently reassigning drivers to other people.

Yeah, here it is:

Björn Ekdal (SWE) (F1RDS): AR3.5
Karl van der Zwaart (NED) (RoLFS, IFRC):RSTC
Jan de Friis (NED) (RoLFS): SEMI-RETIRED*
Urmas Pärn (EST): AR3.5
Harri Korte (FIN): WTCC 1988
Johan Fredriksson (FIN): WTCC 1988
kevinbotz

Post by kevinbotz »

Off on a weekend trip. Won't have internet access until the 5th.
Klon, on Alt-F1 wrote: I like to think it's more poker than gambling, though.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

I will be gone between the 6th and 20th Jan. If something is like, super mega urgent, send me an email and I might be able to get back to you within 48-72 hours.

Image Image
Warren Hughes

Post by Warren Hughes »

The 'just nipping back for a while' post:

Hi guys, how is everyone? This is not a permanent return, I just thought I'd pop in and say hello. How are my former drivers doing (the Camerons and Schiller, for those who'd forgotten)?
Nico Rosberg wrote:Break me down mentally? Good luck with that one.

:roll:
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Warren Hughes wrote:The 'just nipping back for a while' post:

Hi guys, how is everyone? This is not a permanent return, I just thought I'd pop in and say hello. How are my former drivers doing (the Camerons and Schiller, for those who'd forgotten)?

Nath Cameron's looking pretty decent! He's doing alright in F2RWRS, and he looks primed for the big time in the next few seasons.

Just a sidenote: I'm not really away or anything, so you'll still have my amazingly upbeat personality brightening your day. However, with work and life being a time consumer, I won't be able to do any AR2.0 stuff in the next week or two...I'm perhaps already a little behind on the races! I'll try and whizz through them once exams are done.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

Starting from February i will have exams and i will be mostly inactive so, if you want me, better late than never.
Pasta_maldonado wrote:I think normal32 is an old English farmer re-incarnated
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

I am back for now, planning to get my PMMF teams sorted out
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

Off for 10 days or more
tommykl has a stroke
Rated
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rated »

Away for holidays from April 4th to April 11th.
BORDAS BORDAS BORDAS
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I've been on a university practical placement in a rehabilitation unit since Monday (20th April), and will be until 12th June.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

During 1 and 2 may 2015, i will be at the Groezrock festival in Meerhout, enjoying punkrock and Belgian beer and racing Lagwagons. If you need me, i advise you to personally have a drink with me, as this is a fun and chillout festival that i've been going to for the past 9 years. I was not paid to praise this festival.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Sorry I've not been as active as I once was. I've just had too much going on right now. I've recently started broadening my social life and I've got exams and college appliance to come soon. Plus my intrest in F1 has diminished due to Bernie having torn it apart (Azerwhatjan?) so I've been pursuing other sporting interests and finally I have no laptop to type fast either. I still try and post something if it excites me though
RealRacingRoots

Post by RealRacingRoots »

What Happend.

What changed?

When did the echoes of "Know your damn role and shut your damn mouth" start to rattle the foundation of this once welcoming community. Was building a story and having fun and improving the sport that we all loved so much and putting it in our image not good enough? Did we have to give ourselves the power and authority to refuse the common courtesy in helping out the rest of the community, to improve, to grow, to pick up where others fell down?

It bugs me, to see what plagues the sport we love so much infect this that we try to improve on in our own images. Exceptionalism. This place has grown to a point where we are excluding the people that are percieved are idiots because they aren't doing it, whatever it is, the right way. I sometimes feel bad for people like FMecha and Axel who want to do things there own way, and then there's the rest of us telling them what do to, and percieving it to the rest of us as the right way to do things.

I feel guilty.

Guilt for the fact that this tiny sub-section on the forum now dwarfs and intimidates the rest of the forum and the userbase. Guilt for the fact that we are now a society built on missing memos and world domination. I feel guilt for the fact that we no longer intend to improve who we are as a internet collect and each as parts of the human race at large. I feel guilty that I cannot be the one who wants to help, because no one feels like they need it for better or for worse.

I'm pretty sure I've said on the IRC at numerous points to numerous people that I have bullied others as of late because i want them to improve, to actually think about what they're doing and what they're saying and what they're potraying to others, so that they can be taken seriously and have respectful and irreverent conversations about anything. It's gotten to the point where I know I'm being toned out and my actions are being used as excuses to not follow the myriad of implied rules that mire this place that I used to love so much. I still want to, but it's getting harder and harder to do so as the days go by and I see the direction that this place is going.

We are now a community of barely two dozen people which is based on, "you can't do it that way," "stop ruining the only good thing you got," "stop ignoring rules." What is the concept of value, worth, common curtesy when we don't go out of our way to improve the only "good" decision we've made in the last few years of being on the internet?

It is clear to me that what other people are selling is not worth my time to buy. It has left me full of the PJSalt at the fact that people are now content with putting themselves on pedastals when the only gain that comes from the resolve is their own.

My PMMF antics will be on hold until furthur notice, ignoring the GT6 online racing as that is the only time I get joy out of this place. There is no reason to move forward if no one else is willing to improve the human condition of this tick on the side of the internet motorsports community. I will still be on the IRC if I am needed for something I am participating in but do not expect miracles out of me if no one wants them.

If the first responds are saying this is a excuse to not do work or that I am taking it way too seriously, than certianly I am not the only one who needs to do some soulsearching.
The Truth Shall set you free. (no theme music plays)
Tomáš.......Ttaaaaaaaattaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Watch this if you want to learn about what Canada is really like.
GT Super Series
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

RealRacingRoots wrote:tl;dr

We only asked you to write up some championship standings for GTRWC. Why the long speech?

Image Image
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Biscione wrote:
RealRacingRoots wrote:tl;dr

We only asked you to write up some championship standings for GTRWC. Why the long speech?

Yeah, afraid I don't really see the big deal in asking that, or making fun of you when you have repeatedly refused to do that in any way, shape, or form, when it is not exactly a hard thing to do.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

I tend to agree with RRR, I feel like several established members are unwelcoming and far too harsh on other members. I know I have made a bit of a twat of myself at various times here, but the community would be far happier if you all tried to be more tolerant. Live and let live.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Hm. I think that's just perception. I have never been the most popular or loved member, but i never felt discriminated, insulted or ignored. Not particularly favoured either. Just... neutral.
Maybe it's just because i'm older that i can handle it better. Maybe it's just my personality that doesn't care much for insults. But probably my perception of the world and others is just more realistic.
I never noticed anyone getting treated better or worse than me (except maybe everyone constantly praising mario, but that's well earned praise, and maybe some trolls who are just asking for it). Altough i know the IRC is different, i also know the IRC is also 100% trolling, so what do you expect?

In general, i would say this community is not intolerant at all, but remarkably tolerant. Though some people might insult me behind my back, none of these people actually treat me with disrespect. And i don't give a flying shite what people say behind my back, i can't hear it anyway!

Or do you count me as one of those established members with preferred treatment? Well, that is certainly not true. But you know what? I always tried to be myself, and after a while, the established members just learned how to deal with it. That doesn't mean they like me. They acknowledge my existance. That's all i expect from them. So what do you expect? You want me to lick your arse? (if it's hygienicly done, that might be negotiable.... wait, i never said that!

Or maybe i'm just too stupid to see the problem.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

I'm left scratching my head, really. People who are lodging the complaints are the people who are committing the offences they are complaining of. That's a bit of a strange situation to be in.

Most of us aren't at all harsh to newcomers, I fail to see what justifies the accusation. I see lots of finger pointing going on from certain people without anything to back up their claims. It's really disheartening when most of us are conducting ourselves just fine, and a small handful of people turn up and cry wolf. It's hard to take that small group seriously after crying wolf time and time again with nothing to back it up with.

I would say that any perceived negative attitude has been caused entirely by the finger pointers. I see no posts anywhere from an "established" member (3+ years) towards relative newcomers that are at all offensive, derisive, or patronising. You're making up these accusations and they're pretty hurtful. Please, stop, before the old adage of "throw enough s*** and some of it will stick" comes true.

Image Image
Bobby Doorknobs

Biscione wrote:I see no posts anywhere from an "established" member (3+ years) towards relative newcomers that are at all offensive, derisive, or patronising.

Well, there was the time Pasta drove another member into exile. Then again, that other member was posting a lot of stuff that contributed nothing towards the discussion at hand. Even if Pasta's comment was justified (he was starting to annoy me too), that other member was not deliberately trolling.

Anyway, as an unestablished n00b on this forum, I never felt any actual hostility from anyone. If I'm supposed to you're not doing a good enough job :P I did lurk on the forum for a little while before my studies prevented me from joining for about a year, and in that time as a lurker I found this place to have a generally good atmosphere, which was what made me want to join in the first place (though the PMMF largely intimidated me at first, but that was due to the sheer number of series, not the level of discussion). That atmosphere hasn't changed in the nine and a half months I've been here, and I still find this to be the most welcoming forum I've come across on the internet.
#FreeGonzo
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Simtek wrote:
Biscione wrote:I see no posts anywhere from an "established" member (3+ years) towards relative newcomers that are at all offensive, derisive, or patronising.

Well, there was the time Pasta drove another member into exile. Then again, that other member was posting a lot of stuff that contributed nothing towards the discussion at hand. Even if Pasta's comment was justified (he was starting to annoy me too), that other member was not deliberately trolling.

I don't ever quite remember driving anybody into exile - sure, maybe I've said some things that I felt needed to be said, and maybe I was right or wrong about it, but exile?

As for what R thrice posted, I have to say I agree with both sides of the argument here. It was not wrong for people to badger about getting some championship tables done, but the points raised by R thrice do hold some weight - I'm not saying this is apocalypse now, far from it, but just if things take a few more turns for the worse, the utopia is in risk of becoming dystopia.
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Bobby Doorknobs

pasta_maldonado wrote:
Simtek wrote:

I don't ever quite remember driving anybody into exile - sure, maybe I've said some things that I felt needed to be said, and maybe I was right or wrong about it, but exile?

There was this:
Frogfoot9013 wrote:
pasta_maldonado wrote:
Frogfoot9013 wrote:I needed to use large text because it's such a tragedy that Lotterer won't be racing. And I don't even like comic sans. :cry:

But yet, you've missed the point. We're all a bit annoyed that Lotterer has made the (admittedly, better) choice to not race for Caterham, but that doesn't warrant the size a billion bold font. Even that would have been no problem, if there'd had been something written after it that had the possibility of moving the thread along.

The problem is not your disappointment in Lotterer, but in the quality of your posts. If posts are not of Noble-prize winning standard, that's not a problem. What is a problem is when people interject into discussions with stuff like "Imagine F1 cars having 8 wheels", "what if F1 awarded 7 points for a win?", or "what if all F1 constructors had to be named after cheese references?". When there's attempts to have a discussion, nonsensical interjection isn't welcome unless it's funny in some way...which, most of the stuff you've posted isn't.

I appreciate you have ADHD, but it seems like you're not making an effort to make worthwhile posts. Quite frankly, it looks like you're posting utter crap, and using ADHD as an excuse. Just because you have ADHD, it does not give you a license to make low-quality posts all of the time without trying.

Having taken that criticism into account, and coming to the conclusion that it will impossible for me to change my incredibly annoying habits, I have decided to step away from the forum indefinitely. This does not mean for good, just for a considerably long time.
EDIT: I'm gonna change from leaving the forum indefinitely to leaving for good simply because I'll probably be the exact same annoying fool as before, even 10-20 years down the line if I'm still alive then.

And yes, to be fair, I trust you didn't mean for him to leave the forum entirely, that was entirely his response, his reasoning being a little... melodramatic, especially considering he came back anyway two months later.
#FreeGonzo
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Simtek wrote:melodramatic

This is the only actual problem occurring here.

Image Image
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

I think everyone needs to just man the f*ck up and get on with what they're doing. If you're running a race series, the onus is on you to make sure it's running properly. If someone's complaining about your posting habits, it might hurt your pride but just take the advice on board and move on. No point in crying about it.
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

I do think now that GPRejects is led from a de facto administrator thanks to the conflict in late last year, the some admins are not yet qualified to be the leader. I as a member have a right to choose to follow or to exit the group. The way it goes now, I agree with RRR (that's rare!) some admin are forcing things they wanted instead of helping creativity grows. To the point I decided to restrict myself a lot at this forum. Besides, why so serious about fictional things?
tommykl has a stroke
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

AxelP800 wrote:I do think now that GPRejects is led from a de facto administrator thanks to the conflict in late last year, the some admins are not yet qualified to be the leader. I as a member have a right to choose to follow or to exit the group. The way it goes now, I agree with RRR (that's rare!) some admin are forcing things they wanted instead of helping creativity grows. To the point I decided to restrict myself a lot at this forum. Besides, why so serious about fictional things?

Let me cite you an example of the problem; Sharknado. This is a fun movie to watch once or twice, because the creative rule-book is thrown out of the window entirely and it's just outright silly. This is fun in moderation. If every movie were at the level of Sharknado, people would get extremely tired of it.

Another example; you wouldn't mix and match players of sim racing games and Mario Kart. Turning up to iRacing with a Wii wheel would be beyond silly, into stupidity. Ditto turning up to a Mario Kart multiplayer with a Logitech G27.

The ASMF is a simulation. The EMDMF is a cartoon racer in comparison. The whole concept behind the ASMF is "we recreate reality". The PMMF is set out in this way so that whichever side of the fence you are on, there is an option for you to partake.

Image Image
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

Biscione wrote:Let me cite you an example of the problem; Sharknado. This is a fun movie to watch once or twice, because the creative rule-book is thrown out of the window entirely and it's just outright silly. This is fun in moderation. If every movie were at the level of Sharknado, people would get extremely tired of it.

Another example; you wouldn't mix and match players of sim racing games and Mario Kart. Turning up to iRacing with a Wii wheel would be beyond silly, into stupidity. Ditto turning up to a Mario Kart multiplayer with a Logitech G27.

The ASMF is a simulation. The EMDMF is a cartoon racer in comparison. The whole concept behind the ASMF is "we recreate reality". The PMMF is set out in this way so that whichever side of the fence you are on, there is an option for you to partake.

I don't even know what is Sharktornado

Mario Kart with Logitech G27? Interesting

ASMF is simulation. In the end it's fictional
tommykl has a stroke
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

AxelP800 wrote:I don't even know what is Sharktornado

Mario Kart with Logitech G27? Interesting

ASMF is simulation. In the end it's fictional.

You are totally missing the point. There are 3 subforums in the PMMF, 1 of them has a strict canon and is an attempt to recreate at least a plausible reality. The other 2 are totally open for you to do whatever you want.

Every piece of fiction you can think of has it's own internal reality. If you watch Harry Potter you don't expect Superman to fly in through the window. You are totally free to write your own weird fan fiction, or in this case make your own series. But to call it canon is disrespectful for everyone and undermines why the PMMF was split in the first place.

Personally I have worked hard to help people with new series ideas and for a period of time was the main contributor for non-canon series. Even now the quantity and quality of non-canon series is pretty low (there are great ones out there, don't hate me) if you want creative freedom, the door is open. If you need help, I can help you. But please don't throw the toys out your pram because you fail to comprehend the entire point of having a Canon virtual universe.
Last edited by Shadaza on 18 May 2015, 16:07, edited 1 time in total.
Message me on Discord.