I want to watch old F1 races

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Julien

I want to watch old F1 races

Post by Julien »

As the title says, I want to watch as many full Formula 1 races as possible from the past, but of course they are difficult to find.
I found some random races on torrent sites, and countless season reviews which show 5-10 minutes of every race, but of course it's not the real thing...

My dream is to collect every race into a gigantic collection, preferably in English (Murray Walker rocks :D), but on any language if necessary. I'd like to ask for your help with links, ideas, information, anything you could provide to achieve this goal. I know it's an immense task and doubtful if it ever can be achieved, but someone once said that unachievable dreams are the bests :)
tommykl

Re: I want to watch old F1 races

Post by tommykl »

Julien wrote:As the title says, I want to watch as many full Formula 1 races as possible from the past, but of course they are difficult to find.
I found some random races on torrent sites, and countless season reviews which show 5-10 minutes of every race, but of course it's not the real thing...

My dream is to collect every race into a gigantic collection, preferably in English (Murray Walker rocks :D), but on any language if necessary. I'd like to ask for your help with links, ideas, information, anything you could provide to achieve this goal. I know it's an immense task and doubtful if it ever can be achieved, but someone once said that unachievable dreams are the bests :)

The best plan would be to break into the FOM archives and steal all the tapes, but somehow I don't think that's what you were thinking. Anyway, this guy has some full races on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/perfect2O
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

tommykl wrote:
Julien wrote:As the title says, I want to watch as many full Formula 1 races as possible from the past, but of course they are difficult to find.

The best plan would be to break into the FOM archives and steal all the tapes, but somehow I don't think that's what you were thinking. Anyway, this guy has some full races on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/perfect2O

I think Bernie should allow the FOM archives to be sold. Like, for instance you pay £5 and get the 1982 Monaco GP on DVD, full and as broadcast.
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

pasta_maldonado wrote:I think Bernie should allow the FOM archives to be sold. Like, for instance you pay £5 and get the 1982 Monaco GP on DVD, full and as broadcast.
I agree, it would probably be alot more popular then just having one little season review each year.
Trump 2016
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

darkapprentice77 wrote:
pasta_maldonado wrote:I think Bernie should allow the FOM archives to be sold. Like, for instance you pay £5 and get the 1982 Monaco GP on DVD, full and as broadcast.
I agree, it would probably be alot more popular then just having one little season review each year.

Why doesn't he do this. I mean, it's an opportunity to make money and the fans would like it.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

This guy has quite a few http://www.youtube.com/user/dangerouskSNK/videos?flow=grid&view=0 - some with BBC commentary there.

darkapprentice77 wrote:

Speaking of the season review DVD, does anyone know when it comes out?
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

pi314159 wrote:
darkapprentice77 wrote:

Why doesn't he do this. I mean, it's an opportunity to make money and the fans would like it.

Without wanting to insult older people: he's old and doesn't get internet technology, it's simple as that. If someone close to him could convince him that it would be a wise choice to do so, he probably will.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

I know two dodgy Chinese video sites which have most of the races from 1990 to 2004 on, mostly Australian coverage where they present the show, and cut to the UK commentators just before the race starts...
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
f1-gast

Post by f1-gast »

Me and a good friend of mine do have a huge Database with races from 1920 till 2009 orso, we collected lots of them in the past.
Can ask him to give me access to his VPN and i can upload them to MEGA.co.cz ?
==ROBIN FRIJNS FOR SAUBER IN 2014==
Founder of unracedf1.com and a formula 1 fan since 1994 :) !
http://www.facebook.com/UnracedF1
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

pi314159 wrote:
darkapprentice77 wrote:

It's what I have been saying every so often on this forum for several years now. There are some races that I would love to see again - Adelaide 1995, Monaco 1996, Spa 1998, Imola 1994 (never seen it in full), etc...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

dr-baker wrote:It's what I have been saying every so often on this forum for several years now. There are some races that I would love to see again - Adelaide 1995, Monaco 1996, Spa 1998, Imola 1994 (never seen it in full), etc...

I can tell you, one of the Chinese websites does indeed have Imola 94. Murray Walker commentary as well. Quality isn't brilliant, but at least you can watch it... :(

The same website (same user) has uploaded Adelaide 95, with Eurosport coverage.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

East Londoner wrote:
dr-baker wrote:It's what I have been saying every so often on this forum for several years now. There are some races that I would love to see again - Adelaide 1995, Monaco 1996, Spa 1998, Imola 1994 (never seen it in full), etc...

I can tell you, one of the Chinese websites does indeed have Imola 94. Murray Walker commentary as well. Quality isn't brilliant, but at least you can watch it... :(

Could you possibly email me the direct link sometime please? Thank you!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

dr-baker wrote:
East Londoner wrote:

Just done so. :)
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

East Londoner wrote:
dr-baker wrote:
East Londoner wrote:I can tell you, one of the Chinese websites does indeed have Imola 94. Murray Walker commentary as well. Quality isn't brilliant, but at least you can watch it... :(

Just done so. :)

Thank you!
MCard LOLA
f1-gast

Post by f1-gast »

I have the whole Imola weekend 94 on dvd (incl. free practice and so on) can send you it by post if you like :).
Julien

Post by Julien »

dr-baker wrote:
East Londoner wrote:

To me too, please :)

f1-gast wrote:Me and a good friend of mine do have a huge Database with races from 1920 till 2009 orso, we collected lots of them in the past.
Can ask him to give me access to his VPN and i can upload them to MEGA.co.cz ?

I would be in your debt like... forever if you would share it with me :)
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

f1-gast wrote:I have the whole Imola weekend 94 on dvd (incl. free practice and so on) can send you it by post if you like :).

Why not rip it instead so you can keep the original and share with the rest of us?
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
f1-gast

Post by f1-gast »

Well the commentary is Dutch will upload a preview of it to my yt account
MinardiFan95

Post by MinardiFan95 »

AndreaModa wrote:Speaking of the season review DVD, does anyone know when it comes out?

It's out now (if of course you're looking for last year's review), I've seen it in a few stores here for about $30 AUD.

Also, for the Australian members here, keep an eye out for classic races on the 7Mate show, Motor Mate. It airs every weekday afternoon from either 1 or 2PM to 4:30PM (one of the two episodes is usually repeated early in the morning) and sometimes features F1 races from the 50's and 60's, as well as motoring documentaries and rally reviews from the Group B and early Group A era.
This is a cool spot.
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

Alright, if you guys really, really want to put some effort into this, I am a part-time member on the F1Zone Forum. After you post 20 times, you get instant access into the F1Zone Member Multimedia page, which has lots of races, season reviews, and documentaries from 1988-2012. There are a bunch of onboard videos and various races from before 1988 but you have to look for them. They even have WRC, Le Mans and GP2/3 races on there. You just have to post a bunch of times.
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

I actually have every race from the start of 1992 onwards either on tape or on DVD. I would have had the races from mid-1989 to the end of 1991 as well had I not been so stupid to erase over the top of them, many years ago.
Chives5150

Post by Chives5150 »

Thank you for posting this information. :mrgreen:
Murray Walker wrote:I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong.
James Whistler wrote:Had silicon been a gas, I would have been a major general.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

I have a lot of the race reviews that were released on VHS in the UK by Duke. 1984 to 1987. I have about 20, if memory serves me correctly. They're on the list to convert to DVD when I get a chance.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

tristan1117 wrote:Alright, if you guys really, really want to put some effort into this, I am a part-time member on the F1Zone Forum. After you post 20 times, you get instant access into the F1Zone Member Multimedia page, which has lots of races, season reviews, and documentaries from 1988-2012. There are a bunch of onboard videos and various races from before 1988 but you have to look for them. They even have WRC, Le Mans and GP2/3 races on there. You just have to post a bunch of times.

Thanks for that, I've just registered ;)
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

An epic bump for this, mainly because I have an urge to watch the 88 season in full and a certain contact who I once had for certain items that may have facilitated this (yes, I know you know what I'm talking about, but I don't want to get anyone into trouble) has disappeared off the face of the earth it would seem. Hmph.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Barbazza I searched for 1988 races on good old Youku.com and I found this for a start. The titles are in Chinese and you'll have to identify the races via the videos but the commentary is BBC.

BTW I found F1Win.com, a website which has 2000s races. The 2000, 2002-3, 2005-6 races have ITV commentary but 2001 is in Russian and the rest have Spanish commentary.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

good_Ralf wrote:Barbazza I searched for 1988 races on good old Youku.com and I found this for a start. The titles are in Chinese and you'll have to identify the races via the videos but the commentary is BBC.

BTW I found F1Win.com, a website which has 2000s races. The 2000, 2002-3, 2005-6 races have ITV commentary but 2001 is in Russian and the rest have Spanish commentary.

Thanks a million for that second link there man :)

Though I'll be blaming you when I have to sit repeat exams in August!
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Jonny83

Post by Jonny83 »

I've started building my own private collection using Firefox's Youtube download plugin, soon to be aided by an in-transit DVD recorder to grab any Sky Sports F1 Classic F1/GP Uncovered features they do. Focussing just on championship races for the time being, I've gotten up to but not including Monaco '55 (which sits on my Sky+ planner from a feature done last year but I can't find the relevant broadcast on the web, which triggered my purchase of aforementioned recorder).

Of the races I've gone over so far, includes something like a 20 second(!) newsreel for Monaco 1950, some in a foreign language, while some races - Bremgarten 1950 was the first - seem to have no moving record of them whatsoever (that I've found anyway!). The best of the races I've done to date seem to be 10-15 min newsreel formats, I guess that'll be the norm up until I start getting up to the late 70s, but it'll still be fun. I guess once I reach 1981 that is when Bernie copyright issues might make finding stuff harder.

Agree that Bernie/FOM are ignoring a potential cash-cow by not making available for sale to the public full archive broadcasts...

AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

I've found Dailymotion to be a good alternative if YT can't deliver the goods, just a heads up in case you didn't know about it.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

AndreaModa wrote:I've found Dailymotion to be a good alternative if YT can't deliver the goods, just a heads up in case you didn't know about it.

Sometimes when I load the website it has a tendency to crash my (relatively new) computer for about a minute or so.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

good_Ralf wrote:Sometimes when I load the website it has a tendency to crash my (relatively new) computer for about a minute or so.

That might be Flash Player's fault in my opinion.
Funny thing is that my Android handheld console loads Dailymotion just fine, despite being a single core system. :?

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Would it be illegal or otherwise ill-advised to have a regularly updated thread with links to watch old Grands Prix online?
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

It's a grey area - if you can't access legally old races, then it shouldn't be a problem.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Personally, I would share links via PM instead of the forum. If FOM ever trawl the forums (and I have reason to believe they have done in the past - the Reject YouTube thread is evidence), they'll take down pretty much every link we've shared. :|
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Yeah perhaps best not to tempt fate.
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

I know (and am certain a lot of people here know) a certain website from where you can find lots of old and very old races.

If anyone here is interested, please private message me (my mail account is active, I will receive the messages) and I'll give you the instructions. I'm not keeping the secret for the sake of it, but because it's a very good site that I won't contribute to see taken down.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!