The Alessandro Zanardi IndyCar Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Londoner

Re: The Alessandro Zanardi IndyCar Thread

Post by Londoner »

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Crazy to think this season had 7 winners in the 7 first races and the last one, Rahal, was the first to break it winning two in-a-row.

Dixon is leading the championship with Castroneves in second. Both winless. Consistency is going to be key of this season. Also, Sato's good form and Munoz/Daly struggling are a strong proof something is wrong with Foyt. The team's revamp isn't working.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Gutierrez will have to wait a little longer to make his oval debut, as IndyCar won't approve him for Texas this weekend.

Sensible decision really, as Texas is going to be stupidly fast this year with the track having been recently repaved. They'll only be a few MPH slower than speeds set during the infamous CART debacle in 2001. Texas is probably the worst possible place to make your oval debut.

Oriol Servia is being lined up as a stopgap for Gutierrez. He really is the modern-day Robert Moreno.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

East Londoner wrote:Gutierrez will have to wait a little longer to make his oval debut, as IndyCar won't approve him for Texas this weekend.

Sensible decision really, as Texas is going to be stupidly fast this year with the track having been recently repaved. They'll only be a few MPH slower than speeds set during the infamous CART debacle in 2001. Texas is probably the worst possible place to make your oval debut.

Oriol Servia is being lined up as a stopgap for Gutierrez. He really is the modern-day Robert Moreno.

Instead, we've ended up with Neville Longbottom Tristan Vautier. Would be surprised if anyone's reaction was anything other than "oh".
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Ataxia wrote:
East Londoner wrote:Gutierrez will have to wait a little longer to make his oval debut, as IndyCar won't approve him for Texas this weekend.

Instead, we've ended up with Neville Longbottom Tristan Vautier. Would be surprised if anyone's reaction was anything other than "oh".

My reaction is more pure disdain. I despise Tristan for making Rahal sympathetic after taking him out at Pocono.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Takuma Sato has always been good at Indianapolis, even on the road course when he was racing in F1. Congrats to him for now winning the Indy 500.

Congrats to Graham Rahal, too, for winning both rounds at Detroit in dominating fashion.

Here's wishing Sebastien Bourdais all the best for his continuing recovery process.

May the remainder of this IndyCar season be safe and interesting.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

The Texas race last night was berserk. Tony Kanann easily left as the most hated man in the paddock. He caused 2 debatable accidents the second of which wiped out both Schmidt cars, both Dale Coyne cars and badly damaged the Ed Carpenter cars as well as knocking RHR and Munoz out too. My view is that TK was responsible as him moving higher squeezed Hinch and made him hit both TK and Aleshin. Takuma Sato went from hero to zero by knocking Scott Dixon and himself out while fighting for 2nd and through it all came Will Power to win and do his title hopes a world of good

Put simply the race was so crazy we had Gabby Chaves come 5th and Marco Andretti finished 6th
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Takuma Sato reverting to his old self binning it for the second race in-a-row.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Just For One Day...
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Dj_bereta wrote:Takuma Sato reverting to his old self binning it for the second race in-a-row.

To be fair, Sato had neck issues and probably shouldn't have been driving at all at Road America.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Gutierrez getting consistently beaten by Ed Jones who was consistently beaten by Bourdais until the Frenchman crash. I have a feeling Dale Coyne is receiving some money from his sponsors to make this move, considering how well Davidson and Vautier were at #18.

Dale Coyne is living the 1982 Ferrari season. Promising start and quick downfall. And talking about Gutierrez, he is becoming a strong contender for IndyCar ROTY in this year (along with Marco Andretti) and will be one of the first drivers to be elected the ROTY in two different series.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Dj_bereta wrote:Gutierrez getting consistently beaten by Ed Jones who was consistently beaten by Bourdais until the Frenchman crash. I have a feeling Dale Coyne is receiving some money from his sponsors to make this move, considering how well Davidson and Vautier were at #18.

Dale Coyne is living the 1982 Ferrari season. Promising start and quick downfall. And talking about Gutierrez, he is becoming a strong contender for IndyCar ROTY in this year (along with Marco Andretti) and will be one of the first drivers to be elected the ROTY in two different series.

Yes, because he's definitely a contender for ROTY when this is his first ever oval race. Definitely. :roll:
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

East Londoner wrote:
Dj_bereta wrote:Gutierrez getting consistently beaten by Ed Jones who was consistently beaten by Bourdais until the Frenchman crash. I have a feeling Dale Coyne is receiving some money from his sponsors to make this move, considering how well Davidson and Vautier were at #18.

Yes, because he's definitely a contender for ROTY when this is his first ever oval race. Definitely. :roll:

I'm considering his other races, as well, like in the Detroit double round. I'm not saying this without knowledge.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Dj_bereta wrote:
East Londoner wrote:

I'm considering his other races, as well, like in the Detroit double round. I'm not saying this without knowledge.

Gutierrez has been in the car for three weekends, was drafted in at short-notice and has never driven either these tracks or these type of cars without power steering before. All things considered, he's doing an alright job not to get absolutely blown out of the water, so it's harsh to rate him lower than the likes of Marco, Hildebrand and the entire Foyt squad
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Wizzie wrote:Gutierrez has been in the car for three weekends, was drafted in at short-notice and has never driven either these tracks or these type of cars without power steering before. All things considered, he's doing an alright job not to get absolutely blown out of the water, so it's harsh to rate him lower than the likes of Marco, Hildebrand and the entire Foyt squad

Not to mention former champion and Andretti team leader Ryan Hunter-Reay who has driven like a complete doofus or been completely anonymous all but 3 times this year, to the point where he's behind Marco Andretti who hasn't had a single good race all year. It says a lot about the drivers at Andretti that Takuma Sato is their only hope for a championship this year.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Salamander wrote:
Wizzie wrote:Gutierrez has been in the car for three weekends, was drafted in at short-notice and has never driven either these tracks or these type of cars without power steering before. All things considered, he's doing an alright job not to get absolutely blown out of the water, so it's harsh to rate him lower than the likes of Marco, Hildebrand and the entire Foyt squad

Not to mention former champion and Andretti team leader Ryan Hunter-Reay who has driven like a complete doofus or been completely anonymous all but 3 times this year, to the point where he's behind Marco Andretti who hasn't had a single good race all year. It says a lot about the drivers at Andretti that Takuma Sato is their only hope for a championship this year.

Looks like he heard you with his performance at Iowa. However the big story was Helio winning for the first time in 3 years

Looks like it's Scott Dixon taking on the entire Penske stable for this year's title
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:Looks like it's Scott Dixon taking on the entire Penske stable for this year's title

i mean when has that ever happened
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

I'm going to give some kudos for Gutierrez for his decent race at Iowa. Lets see what he can do in the next rounds. ROTR to Aleshin and another rookie mistake. No wonder he was replaced for Toronto.

Pretty happy to see both Helio and Leist winning in the same weekend. I can't remember when was the last double Brazilian win in IndyCar and Indy Lights.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Saavedra in for Aleshin at Toronto...

...'scuse me while I have a cry.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

What a bold move from Helio in the start of the race in Toronto. He is back. If he keeps pushing, I think he definitely has a chance of winning this title. Will be very rewarding for him retiring with the title after so many close calls.

And this is probably the unluckiest season for Power.

Going to give my ROTR for Tony Kannan for crashing alone into the barriers of turn 1. Things not looking good for TK on this season. He needs to improve.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Rosenqvist is going to participate in the testing session with Ganassi along with Dixon. I'm starting to feel the TK days at Ganassi are numbered.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Dj_bereta wrote:What a bold move from Helio in the start of the race in Toronto. He is back. If he keeps pushing, I think he definitely has a chance of winning this title. Will be very rewarding for him retiring with the title after so many close calls.

Rumor is, this is Helio's last year. Allegedly The Captain wants him to head up the LMP team. Old Helio realizes he needs to win something before its too late.

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Dj_bereta wrote:And this is probably the unluckiest season for Power.

Definitely but even without it we all know that he'd probably lose the title anyway. He is the universal choking sign after all
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:

Definitely but even without it we all know that he'd probably lose the title anyway. He is the universal choking sign after all

Did someone call? :P

As much as I desperately want Castroneves to secure the title, it's hard to see past Dixon getting title #5, given we've still got Mid-Ohio and Watkins Glen to visit this season. Mind you, anything can happen in IndyCar (other than Marco Andretti ever winning a race again it appears :pantano: ) and realistically everyone in the top 6 still has a shot at the title. The wheels have well and truly come off Sato's season though. :(

Meanwhile, it looks like Andretti are hankering for a tie-up with the, er, bowtie.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

East Londoner wrote:
Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:

Did someone call? :P

As much as I desperately want Castroneves to secure the title, it's hard to see past Dixon getting title #5, given we've still got Mid-Ohio and Watkins Glen to visit this season. Mind you, anything can happen in IndyCar (other than Marco Andretti ever winning a race again it appears :pantano: ) and realistically everyone in the top 6 still has a shot at the title. The wheels have well and truly come off Sato's season though. :(

Meanwhile, it looks like Andretti are hankering for a tie-up with the, er, bowtie.

That image will never get old

If it is to be Helio's last Indycar season then no one would begrudge the man the title
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

IndyCar have just launched their 2018 aerokit.

Now that is a beauty. :dance:
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

So pretty. For the first time since 1994, the future looks.....decent actually.

nome66

Post by nome66 »

those sidepods and that roll hoop really make the car.
in my opinion the nose is getting a little old, but it's an ok compromise to retain the DW12 safety tub
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Watching the second Indy Lights race and Herta spun out from the lead in the second lap. :facepalm:
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

That 2018 design...so sleek at the back. Looks like the tail will be swinging all over the place on that thing.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Aleshin fired from Schmidt Peterson. Moving to Sportcars.

To be frank, the Russian struggled in this season and gave a big repair bill to his team (not entirely his fault).
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

So with Pocono being this weekend, and with me living a mere 25 minutes or so from the track, there was a nice surprise yesterday. Mario took the two-seater through town. Even drove past my office 3 times. Of course my office is closed Mondays.....

Here's the real gripe I have with it. My wonky schedule aside, I would have come into work had I actually KNOWN ABOUT IT. Indy did no advertising whatsoever, trying for a "viral" or "flash" marketing idea. What did they get? Mario driving around, waving at no one, with a highly disinterested police escort. smdh

Londoner

Post by Londoner »

All aboard the hype train, next stop Watkins Glen. :dance:

Guess either Saaaaavedra or Veach will drive the #7 this weekend and at Gateway.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Wallio wrote:Here's the real gripe I have with it. My wonky schedule aside, I would have come into work had I actually KNOWN ABOUT IT. Indy did no advertising whatsoever, trying for a "viral" or "flash" marketing idea. What did they get? Mario driving around, waving at no one, with a highly disinterested police escort. smdh

That's how I felt about F1's demo a few weeks ago. 24hours didn't give me enough time to rearrange my schedule to attend...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

dr-baker wrote:
Wallio wrote:Here's the real gripe I have with it. My wonky schedule aside, I would have come into work had I actually KNOWN ABOUT IT. Indy did no advertising whatsoever, trying for a "viral" or "flash" marketing idea. What did they get? Mario driving around, waving at no one, with a highly disinterested police escort. smdh

That's how I felt about F1's demo a few weeks ago. 24hours didn't give me enough time to rearrange my schedule to attend...

There were many valid reasons for the short notice, however; it was planned well in advance but City Hall and Liberty decided to keep it under wraps for as long as possible.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

dr-baker wrote:That's how I felt about F1's demo a few weeks ago. 24hours didn't give me enough time to rearrange my schedule to attend...

That was the intention because whilst you wouldn't have any nefarious plans for the day other than hoping for a glimpse of Clare Williams bending over or whatever there are plenty of people who may have.
Just For One Day...
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

The lady luck dodged Power in this season until this race. Winning after getting a lap down was pretty awesome.

And Kannan is out of Ganassi for the next year. It's a shame because the Ganassi + Kannan combo looked so promising, especially after TK dragging the KV to the top several times.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Gutierrez is now out of a drive, as Sebastien Bourdais will make his return to the VERIZON INDYCAR SERIES for Gateway!
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Esteban Gutiérrez Gutiérrez wrote:¿Ay, donde esta mi tequila?

Kimi Räikkönen wrote:*burp*
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

And after much deliberation, a few flirtations and a flick of a domino, Andretti Autosport have an engine deal in place with a hard-to-please supplier.