The Alessandro Zanardi IndyCar Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Barbazza

Re: The Alessandro Zanardi IndyCar Thread

Post by Barbazza »

I enjoyed it very much too - what I've seen of the races this season beats F1, that's for sure.

Nice to see some suitably rejectful driving from Sebastien Bourdais too.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

I thought it was a cracking 500. Thought Sato was going to do a double with the way he charged through in those last few laps.

Marco Andretti though. I hope for his sake there was something wrong with that car because he was a mobile chicane
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

If Pato O'Ward does well in his F2 debut can he get signed full-time on F2? how would that affect his indy program?
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

it took ELEVENTY BILLION YEARS but jay byers whoever that is the graphic wasn't up long enough but he FINALLY gave us a good call
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Congrats to Josef Newgarden for the 2019 IndyCar drivers title. He is a deserving champion of a pretty good season.

Next year's schedule is only a bit worse off this year's because they couldn't add to the number of races. Here's wishing everybody a good and safe new season. And now, let's not wait for the infamous Mark Plourde's team to win the 2019's races at Kentucky Speedway, Fontana and Surfers Paradise this month but head right into the offseason break instead.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Jops

Post by Jops »

I would love to see Newgarden get a top F1 drive - JPM/Zanardi style, think the guy is a huge talent.

Indycar after being put on sky became a quick sunday highlight for me, great racing
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Autosport is reporting that Penske has bought the IndyCar series and the IMS. Different branch of the company to the race team, but a related company nonetheless.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

dr-baker wrote:Autosport is reporting that Penske has bought the IndyCar series and the IMS. Different branch of the company to the race team, but a related company nonetheless.

Its Penske Media Corporation owned by Jay Penske and until yesterday, best know for owning Rolling Stone and Variety magazines. PMC is a division of Penske Corp similar to Penske Truck Leasing and Penske Shocks. IMS will be a division of PMC which is a division of Penske itself. Confused yet? :P

The Captain himself will be the head of IMS in some form or title, although his actual day-to-day involvement is still up in the air. But keen to quiet the rather surprising (and IMO unduly harsh criticism) he is receiving for conflict of interest, he is taking a step back from the running of the team, including no longer being on the pit wall, so the loss of Pocono is lessened by knowing I saw his last visit there. I do find it funny that many of the people screaming about this online had no problem when Tony George owned the series, and owned Vision Racing, and (still) owns 50% of Ed Carpenter Racing. Maybe because this is CART finally winning the war afterall?
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Wallio wrote:Its Penske Media Corporation owned by Jay Penske and until yesterday, best know for owning Rolling Stone and Variety magazines. PMC is a division of Penske Corp similar to Penske Truck Leasing and Penske Shocks. IMS will be a division of PMC which is a division of Penske itself. Confused yet? :P

This isn't strictly true. While PMC is a real company owned by Jay Penske and whose portfolio includes Rolling Stone, IndyCar was in fact purchased by Penske Entertainment, a completely different company owned by Roger Penske. As far as I'm aware, Jay and Roger continue to heavily dislike each other and do not do business together.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Dear forum moderators,

does the discussion of the "American Red Cross IndyCar Grand Prix of Watkins Glen" and the other sim racing events that are to follow as part of the ongoing IndyCar / iRacing cooperation to fill the current downtime for motor racing events belong here or in the "Perry McCarthy Memorial Forum"?

If it goes here, then Dreyer & Reinbold Racing has just won its 2nd race in IndyCar history with Sage Karam at the wheel (a wheel it probably is). Since this was a fully sponsored car, their sponsor must be very happy right now for all the positive coverage in the motor racing media who are also looking to fill the downtime with something to do - and to sell.

Most drivers racing in the sim were IndyCar regulars, though some have been notably absent. Also notable is that Scott Speed who is eligible for a profile on the predecessor of the gprejects website, has now made his IndyCar debut despite having been banned from iRacing for reckless but not wreckless driving some 2 years ago, but that ban seems to have expired. :chilton:
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
mario

Post by mario »

Yannick wrote:Dear forum moderators,

does the discussion of the "American Red Cross IndyCar Grand Prix of Watkins Glen" and the other sim racing events that are to follow as part of the ongoing IndyCar / iRacing cooperation to fill the current downtime for motor racing events belong here or in the "Perry McCarthy Memorial Forum"?

If it goes here, then Dreyer & Reinbold Racing has just won its 2nd race in IndyCar history with Sage Karam at the wheel (a wheel it probably is). Since this was a fully sponsored car, their sponsor must be very happy right now for all the positive coverage in the motor racing media who are also looking to fill the downtime with something to do - and to sell.

Most drivers racing in the sim were IndyCar regulars, though some have been notably absent. Also notable is that Scott Speed who is eligible for a profile on the predecessor of the gprejects website, has now made his IndyCar debut despite having been banned from iRacing for reckless but not wreckless driving some 2 years ago, but that ban seems to have expired. :chilton:

Apologies for this, but I've only seen this now - which makes it a little moot now that they've finished their virtual season.

I don't really know how we should have classified it, as there isn't really a precedent for it - as a virtual racing event, it feels like it should have been with the "Perry McCarthy Memorial Forum", so I guess that is perhaps where to classify such events in the future. It is an issue that I guess we will have to deal with as e-sports become a more prominent phenomenon.

As an aside, I am surprised that nobody has mentioned the announcement from Ferrari that they are evaluating the possibility of entering IndyCar. https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news ... t/4792399/

Now, I think a lot of people are dismissing it as little more than a thinly disguised bluff from Ferrari, and that does feel like the most probable situation. What is perhaps more interesting is the fact that it seems to imply that IndyCar is perhaps now being seen as important enough for the threat of entering that series to hold some weight.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

mario wrote:

Apologies for this, but I've only seen this now - which makes it a little moot now that they've finished their virtual season.

I don't really know how we should have classified it, as there isn't really a precedent for it - as a virtual racing event, it feels like it should have been with the "Perry McCarthy Memorial Forum", so I guess that is perhaps where to classify such events in the future. It is an issue that I guess we will have to deal with as e-sports become a more prominent phenomenon.

As an aside, I am surprised that nobody has mentioned the announcement from Ferrari that they are evaluating the possibility of entering IndyCar. https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news ... t/4792399/

Now, I think a lot of people are dismissing it as little more than a thinly disguised bluff from Ferrari, and that does feel like the most probable situation. What is perhaps more interesting is the fact that it seems to imply that IndyCar is perhaps now being seen as important enough for the threat of entering that series to hold some weight.

Ferrari have used Indycar as a bargaining chip with F1 many times in the past. I would love to see them take a crack at Indycar (again), but I won't hold my breath for it. :|
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
mario

Post by mario »

CaptainGetz12 wrote:
mario wrote:

Ferrari have used Indycar as a bargaining chip with F1 many times in the past. I would love to see them take a crack at Indycar (again), but I won't hold my breath for it. :|

It's true that Ferrari have used the threat of an IndyCar in the past, but I do not recall them making that threat for a number of years - it was more the fact that Ferrari seemed to think that IndyCar had now reached a point where the threat might be thought of as a more serious threat (though in practise I can't see them following through with it either).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
BJ McLeod

Post by BJ McLeod »

Seeing old 7 time in an IndyCar will take quite some getting used to. Looking forward to seeing how the car shared between him and Vin Diesel's long lost brother will fare
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Seeing as RoGro will be in IndyCars this year, I’m now a fully paid up IndyFan! Haven’t the first clue about the series but sure it’ll be fun watching RoGro sweep to the title.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

He's only doing the road courses (which is most of the the schedule) but the best bit is that he will be part of the Rick Ware Armada, likely sharing the car with Cody Ware.
James Hunt, commentating on the 1991 German Grand Prix wrote:The Benettons looking very smart together on the track, mostly because they're both going so slowly.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Just a shame he isn't doing the Indy 500, but one can totally understand why.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Although a universe where Romain Grosjean wins the Indy 500 before Fernando Alonso does make me chuckle :lol:

I actually watched IndyCar for the whole season for the very first time in 2020. It was ok, not all that crazy, although I was informed last year was relatively dull by the standards of the series. For anyone interested in watching it, they show highlights on YouTube which are about 30 minutes long, and I'd say the length is perfect for all the interesting bits of the race. Although I will say that the highlights make it look like IndyCar have the most awful pitcrews in the entire universe, because the only time the highlights show the pits is if there's a mistake :D
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Forza Man Without Vowels!
BJ McLeod

Post by BJ McLeod »

Rick Ware continuing on his path to world domination I see

If his Cup career is any indication, Cody will probably make even Dalton Kellett look vaugely competent
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

This legit might be one of the weirdest things I remember. Like... huh? :facepalm:
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Alex Palou is an IndyCar race winner! An excellent, measured drive at Barber to break the Chip Ganassi second driver curse that's affected the team ever since the end of the Franchitti era :dance:

No idea what sort of drugs the McLaren and Andretti strategists were on, O'Ward and Rossi went from a comfortable 1-2 to 4-9. Another missed opportunity for Pato, and I fear he'll end up with a reputation of not being able to close the deal if he can't secure a victory soon. :(

Shoutouts to Romain Grosjean for a strong debut performance in the Dale Coyne/Rick Ware kekwagon, qualifying 7th and finishing 10th, Rinus VeeKay finishing 6th with a broken finger, and Sebastien Bourdais carrying A.J. Foyt's team to a top 5 finish. There's life in the old boy yet.

However, Josef Newgarden is the undisputed ROTR for an appalling unforced error on the first lap which ended his race and wiped out five other cars. It's the sort of stupidity you'd expect from Will Power, not bloody Newgarden. :facepalm:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Good to see Grosjean not embarrassing himself!

And good to hear the commentators spice up the "championship implications!" from lap 1 of the very first race. What a series :D
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

I enjoyed the opening race. Palou did an amazing job and earned it the hard way. I do feel for Pato though as he clearly had the quickest car all weekend and a duff strategy meant he didn’t even make the podium. Some forceful driving from Bourdais didn’t help his cause either

Agree on Veekay. Considering he had the double whammy of a broken finger and getting caught up in the opening lap mess, finishing 6th was a darn good effort.

Newgarden? Well what more can be said :facepalm:
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

An idiot wrote:Another missed opportunity for Pato, and I fear he'll end up with a reputation of not being able to close the deal if he can't secure a victory soon. :(

Not any more! Pato finally closed the deal last night at Texas! Absolutely made up for the lad, incredible performance. :dance:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

And a driver test at Abu Dhabi later this year :shock:

Herta and O'Ward both to F1 at the same time? ;)
UncreativeUsername37

Scott McLaughlin in race 1 was probably "objectively" more impressive, but Patoooo finally winning has such a great feel-good value, I've always been cheering for him a little.
Wait, this isn't the IIDOTR thread? Oh, we don't have that for IndyCar?
Well, we should. It'd stop a lot of those irrelevant nominations.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

TORA! TORA! TORA!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Looking forward to the Indy 500. Watching live on Sky Sports F1. Makes the subscription package more worthwhile. But without my favourite Mann in the race, who am I gonna support???

MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Gutted for Wilson to be first DNF, but got nobody else to blame but himself... Which caused problems for Dixon and Rossi.

Great quote at the start of the race when Power's car wouldn't start: "Will Power has no power!"
MCard LOLA
UncreativeUsername37

Good race and great story for Castroneves to come back with a different team and win. And I like what it's done to the championship. Though Dixon's ability to magically finish midfield when he should be at the back is ominous as ever.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

I am surprised - no, shocked, even - that there's been no word on the Detroit Grand Prix last weekend, or more specifically the first of the two races.

The winner: Marcus Ericsson!

If that isn't Reject gold, I don't know what is. Maybe if Max Chilton had won at Indy in 2017 instead of Takuma Sato... and look at his results since the end of that season!
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Ericsson came a close 2nd in the race at Mid-Ohio, having closed the gap to the winner Josef Newgarden near the end of the race. He is really making his team and his fans proud this year. His car's Stanton Barrett affiliated (remember him?) sponsor must certainly love it, too.
UncreativeUsername37

Well, that was eventful, wasn't it? In ten years the first Music City GP will be looked back on as a classic race.
Stareagle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stareagle »

Jimmie Johnson in the rain was even worse than I feared. I'm sure he's having fun and he will probably do well in the 500, but I don't understand a seven-time NASCAR champ deciding to run street and road courses in IndyCar when he wasn't any good at them when he had the best equipment on the track.
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVhvFuafM4w

Look at Sato-san making a great comeback after his blunder early on got him his initial qualifying speed disallowed.
Also, the "man without vowels" RMN GRJSN did really well on Saturday.

It's just that the weather got worse as the day went on. But the times were really, really fast throughout the field. :chilton:
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

ONE OF OUR OWN JUST WON THE INDY 500! :dance:

Who'd have thought the meme paydriver struggling at Caterham in 2014 would win the world's biggest race 8 years later? Congratulations to Marcus Ericsson, that last stint and restart was an absolute driving clinic.
Vassago

Post by Vassago »

The funny thing is, Ericsson would have gotten a 5 sec. penalty in F1 for that weaving on the straight :D

However he was fully entitled to wave the middle finger salute after that red flag nonsense. He had the race won if it stayed green.

So, who is the next former F1 drop out who wins Indy 500? Daniel Ricciardo? :lol:
95 GP / 63 DNF / 5 pts
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Mh nah, Ricciardo strikes me more as the Nascar-type.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Kimi Raikkonen? Fernando Alonso? Maybe even His Royal Highness Sir Prince Lewis Hamilton?
MCard LOLA