1998 F1RGP2C Season - Duel in the Desert Race

In honour of our fallen comrade. Archive of all previous canon series across all disciplines.
Shizuka

Re: 1998 F1RGP2C Season - R14 Race Up

Post by Shizuka »

Another. Bathplugging. Engine. Failure. :evil:

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Don Rennis wrote:This isa incredible moment for the entire McLaren team, and fora Jimmy to score hisa first world title. However, we must nota rest on oura laurels, as we still have to geta Rory into second place ahead of Tom Douglas in the two races remaining.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Don Rennis wrote:This isa incredible moment for the entire McLaren team, and fora Jimmy to score hisa first world title. However, we must nota rest on oura laurels, as we still have to geta Rory into second place ahead of Tom Douglas in the two races remaining.

James James Davies wrote:Thanks boss. I'll do what I can to help Rory, but he's gotta step it up a bit as well, last few races he hasn't been close enough to me. Though maybe that was just me pushing ahead to try and win this thing, I dunno.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Niko Nurminen wrote:I've seen Life W12s that are more reliable than this piece of crap we have.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
dr-baker

Re: 1998 F1RGP2C Season - R14 Quali Up

Post by dr-baker »

tristan1117 wrote:Image

Positives:

Ben Fleet: After a long absence from the points, Arrows and Ben Fleet returned in Belgium with a brilliant fourth place in the rain. Fleet will be glad to know that Arrows is now tied with DAMS in the Constructors' Championship.

Ben Fleet wrote:Yeah, baby, yeah! That's what I've been wanting to talk about for months now! I was beginning to wonder what I was doing, having nearly scored points on my Arrows debut but then not scoring for quite some time. Equal with DAMS and ahead of Stewart? I'll have a bit of that.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Barbazza

Re: 1998 F1RGP2C Season - R14 Quali Up

Post by Barbazza »

Andrew Spokes wrote:Oh yeah! Thought I'd never get another podium, but that was quite good, although I benefited from others misfortunes admittedly. Pleased to stay on the lead lap (just) though!
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Another point for Emmanuele Nicchi!!! I'm seriously considering giving him a drive next year with Stewart...
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Aerospeed wrote:Another point for Emmanuele Nicchi!!! I'm seriously considering giving him a drive next year with Stewart...

Instead, he should choose Prost. Obviously, Nicchi is bringing good luck, and good luck is exactly the thing we're looking for in a driver!
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

This wrote:
Aerospeed wrote:Another point for Emmanuele Nicchi!!! I'm seriously considering giving him a drive next year with Stewart...

Instead, he should choose Prost. Obviously, Nicchi is bringing good luck, and good luck is exactly the thing we're looking for in a driver!

Gonzalo Solari is interested in the Prost drive next year. He comes with millions of Argentine Pesos, if it sweetens the deal in any way.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Nuppiz wrote:
Niko Nurminen wrote:I've seen Life W12s that are more reliable than this piece of crap we have.

Agreed.

Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Lawrence Tucker would be happy with a seat, any seat. He does have some money from his dad's computer business.
Everything's great.
the Masked Lapwing

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

Someone should totally give Pieter Kickert a drive. He won't listen to anything you say, but he'll drag cars kicking and screaming to finish if he has to :lol:
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

the Masked Lapwing wrote:Someone should totally give Pieter Kickert a drive. He won't listen to anything you say, but he'll drag cars kicking and screaming to finish if he has to :lol:

Even if they're missing most of their gears, a wing or two, with a sick engine maybe... :P :lol:
Everything's great.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Jorg Scrattenheim would like to stay on with DAMS for another year.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

eurobrun wrote:Jorg Scrattenheim would like to stay on with DAMS for another year.

Alright, I actually wanted to offer both drivers another year.

DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

FMV has not heard anything from Williams management about next season and is starting to become a little concerned about the lack of dialogue.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Gauthier would like to retain both our drivers, if possible. If Emanuele Nicchi decides to leave, however, we will be looking for a new driver with a nice bank balance.
Everything's great.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Stramala wrote:FMV has not heard anything from Williams management about next season and is starting to become a little concerned about the lack of dialogue.

Williams management inform both if our drivers that we would like to retain their services for 1999. This year's car hasn't been the best, but Klaus Mann is certain that next years car will be an improvement at least.
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

the Masked Lapwing wrote:Someone should totally give Pieter Kickert a drive. He won't listen to anything you say, but he'll drag cars kicking and screaming to finish if he has to :lol:

Well, he refused to drive for Ligier, will he not be too proud to drive for Prost?
Anyway, i'm trying to get in drivers that have 'good luck with reliability', if i can't find one of those, i might just promote the test-driver full-time, so no young aspiring drivers please.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

This wrote:

Well, he refused to drive for Ligier, will he not be too proud to drive for Prost?
Anyway, i'm trying to get in drivers that have 'good luck with reliability', if i can't find one of those, i might just promote the test-driver full-time, so no young aspiring drivers please.

So you clearly don't want Douglas Mann for a comeback then? :lol:
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

Round 15: Italy

1. Tom Douglas (Ferrari) - 1:23.181
2. James James Davies (McLaren) - 1:23.181
3. Rory McAllister (McLaren) - 1:23.636
4. Leonhard von Gottorp (Jordan) - 1:23.867
5. Kazuhiko Takagi (Ferrari) - 1:23.869
6. Masta Valsattis (Benetton) - 1:24.050
7. John Zimmer (Benetton) - 1:24.052
8. Damon Cannon (Jordan) - 1:24.383
9. Andrew Spokes (Williams) - 1:24.672
10. Ron Mignolet (Prost) - 1:24.917
11. Jörg Scrattenheim (DAMS) - 1:25.102
12. Niko Nurminen (DAMS) - 1:25.215
13. Miko Fakkinen (Sauber) - 1:25.254
14. Frederic-Maxime Voeckler (Williams) - 1:25.307
15. Stephano Baroncelli (Arrows) - 1:25.380
16. Pablo da Silva (Sauber) - 1:25.501
17. Ben Fleet (Arrows) - 1:25.724
18. Ralf Alden (Stewart) - 1:25.770
19. Francisco Remedio (Prost) - 1:25.951
20. Jose Alvarez (Stewart) - 1:26.142
21. Rick Douglais (Lola) - 1:26.563
22. Poppy Whitechapel (Lola) - 1:26.632
23. Plinio Vida (Minardi) - 1:26.700
24. Emmanuel Nicchi (Volga) - 1:26.743
25. Yuuri Jougaseki (Volga) - 1:26.767
26. Vic Sunset (Gauthier) - 1:26.861
DNQ Lawrence Tucker (Volga) - 1:26.866
DNQ Gonzalo Solari (Minardi) - 1:27.568

Douglas and Davies set the same time, but Douglas gets pole! (I don't know how GP2 break ties)
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

tristan1117 wrote:(I don't know how GP2 break ties)

James James Davies wrote:Coin toss. 'Course, I fixed it so Douglas would win. Wanna keep things interesting and it's not like I need pole to win, anyway.
Everything's great.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

I just hope the engine won't give up on us, like it did half the time this year!

Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

tristan1117 wrote:Douglas and Davies set the same time, but Douglas gets pole! (I don't know how GP2 break ties)

As far as I know it does as it is done in RL F1, i.e. who sets the time first gets the better position.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Ben Fleet is disappointed to qualify only 17th after scoring points in the last race.
MCard LOLA
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: 1998 F1RGP2C Season - R15 Quali Up

Post by tristan1117 »

Review:
Kazuhiko Takagi finally breaks McLaren's eight-race win streak with a dramatic win at Monza in front of the home Italian fans. But for Rory McAllister and McLaren, there is only total embarrassment…

Positives:
Kazuhiko Takagi: On Lap 40, Takagi went off at the Variante Ascari and lost crucial momentum in his attempts to catch and pass Rory McAllister for the lead. The win appeared to be in McAllister's hands. Takagi had taken advantage of a James James Davies' crash and more misfortune for his teammate to get into second, and he was slowly closing in on the McLaren driver before his off. Takagi began to creep back, but he was still just under two seconds away with three laps to go, and it looked like Rory would be able to defend. Then McAllister's throttle dramatically gave out, and he tried to enter the pits. However, he swerved directly into the path of Takagi at the pit entrance, lost control, and crashed heavily into the wall, ending his race and any chance at points. The tifosi roared, Takagi celebrated his second win of the season, and he leapfrogged McAllister in the Drivers' Championship.

Leonhard von Gottorp: With his career rapidly coming to an end, it's nice to seem him on the podium. Still searching for that first win though… Also, Jordan takes an important two-point lead on Benetton into the final race of the season. Can they hold on?

DAMS: Finally, DAMS got the breakthrough performance they needed to shore up sixth place in the Constructors' Championship. Scrattenheim had been dancing around the points all season and was relieved to finally break through with a brilliant fourth place finish. McAllister's crash also promoted Niko Nurminen to sixth, keeping him just ahead of his teammate in the standings.

Negatives:
Rory McAllister: If the rest of his team didn't perform so badly, McAllister would have been a shoo-in for Reject of the Race.

James James Davies: Speaking of which, Davies was calmly strolling along to another DAVIESWINSLOL finish when he lost it at the Variante Ascari, shattered his front wing, and reentered the race a lap down and well out of the points. At least he's already clinched the championship.

McLaren: McLaren gets Reject of the Race for Italy because of Davies' fail, the throttle giving out with three laps to go, and McAllister's subsequent idiocy in front of Takagi at the pit entrance. What a nice way to clinch your first Constructors' Championship.

John Zimmer: He hasn't scored a point since France…

Tom Douglas: The only stain on Ferrari's day was a massive oil splotch on the circuit after his car blew up.

Jose Alvarez: Alvarez took off poor Frederic-Maxime Voeckler off at the start of the race (from three rows back, no less), and ruined both drivers' races for the rest of the afternoon. Voeckler did fight back to finish seventh, which is promising.

Pablo da Silva: When Pablo can explain the logic of parking his Sauber right on the racing line, he can get his penalty points back. No really! I insist on an explanation.

Italy
Pole: Tom Douglas
Leaders:
Rory McAllister: 1-11
James James Davies: 12-26
Kazuhiko Takagi: 27-28
Rory McAllister: 29-50
Kazuhiko Takagi: 51-
FL: James James Davies

Penalties
+3 to Pablo da Silva for dawdling on the circuit with a broken car for no reason
+1 to Rory McAllister for unsafe pit lane entry

Drivers' Championship Standings
1. James Davies - 96
2. Tom Douglas - 63
3. Kazuhiko Takagi - 54
4. Rory McAllister - 51
5. Andrew Spokes - 24
6. Damon Cannon - 23
7. John Zimmer - 20
8. Masta Valsattis - 17
9. Leonhard von Gottorp - 15
= Christophe Vans - 6
= Niko Nurminen - 4
12. Daniel Moreno - 3
= Jorg Scrattenheim - 4
= Pablo da Silva - 3
= Ben Fleet - 3
16. EMANUELE NICCHI - 2
17. Ron Mignolet - 1
= Frederic-Maxime Voeckler - 1

Constructors' Championship
1. McLaren - 147
2. Ferrari - 120
3. Jordan - 39
4. Benetton - 37
5. Williams - 28
6. DAMS - 7
7. Sauber - 3
= Arrows - 3
9. GAUTHIER - 2
10. Prost - 1

Penalty Standings
1. Yuuri Jougaseki - 7
2. Frederic-Maxime Voeckler - 6
3. Lawrence Tucker - 4
4. James Davies - 3
= Kazuhiko Takagi - 3
= Geoff Grove - 3
= Niko Nurminen - 3
= Pablo da Silva - 3
9. Andrew Spokes - 2
= Stephano Baroncelli - 2
= Plinio Vida - 2
= Emmanuele Nicchi - 2
= Miko Fakkinen - 2
= John Zimmer - 2
= Masta Valsattis - 2
16. Rick Douglais - 1
= Daniel Moreno - 1
= Poppy Whitechapel - 1
= Ralf Alden - 1
= Ron Mignolet - 1
= Johan Gustafsson - 1

By the way, thanks for doing the wiki standings Salamander. Thanks, you have saved me from some more dodgy math.
Last edited by tristan1117 on 20 Nov 2013, 03:26, edited 2 times in total.
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: 1998 F1RGP2C Season - R15 Race Up

Post by tristan1117 »

Silly Season!

Alright, a little late this time around, but I wanted some time to ponder what teams are going in for next year. Believe it or not, I haven't forgotten about the now six-month old F1RNC (in real life, and in canon time), so I promise that will actually be completed, for better or for worse, before the next F1RGP2C season begins. But we still have this and the Duel in the Desert to go before then.

Onto other matters. Firstly, I will need The Lukas and WaffleCat to respond if they still wants to keep Volga and Lola around. Secondly, I will be giving up the seatholder position at Arrows, so if nobody closes up shop and BAR is held off until 2000, somebody will take over a team. I should really start up a waiting list... Anyway, this post will be reserved for the silly season once all the teams are confirmed.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

da Silva favourite to race in Jordan for 1999
Local Brazilian newspapers are reporting that Pablo da Silva, currently racing with Sauber this season, is gearing up to finally make his move towards a big team for 1999 by racing for Jordan. "I believe I have the talent to race for a huge team," said da Silva in an interview. "I hope my experience in the last few years also helps in making their decisions go quickly." Da Silva currently has 3 points in the championship this year, suffering from a poor car and an underpowered engine. Sauber's financial situations compared to bigger teams has become apparent. "I can bring sponsors from Brazil, there's lots of people who want me to win for Brazil," said da Silva. "But I can't fund a team entirely. It's not to say that smaller teams can't compete, it's just that they can't upgrade as much as Ferrari or McLaren."

Stewart fires entire technical staff, hopes for fresh start with same drivers in 1999
After the Italian GP, Stewart GP boss Eddie Stewart had fired all of the technical staff for somehow posting another double DNF in the season. Despite the team's lacklustre results, Stewart is standing by his driver selection for next year, hoping to retain Ralf Alden and Jose Alvarez. "They are the stars of the future," said Stewart. "They are the two best drivers that can compete with us for next season. Plus, it gives us more comparison between the two cars from this season and next season. They said that everything we did this season should be completely reversed. So they are the only two that will judge what is right and wrong. We're starting from a fresh slate next year." When asked about hiring other drivers, he said that he approached James Davies briefly. "He seemed content to stay at McLaren, and I don't blame him. Everyone loves him there. But he seemed irked at our unreliability this season. It's ruining our teams' reputation."
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

To be honest,I have very little time on my hands,so I'll be giving up my position at Lola for next season.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
the Masked Lapwing

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

John Zimmer wrote:Hey Davies, when you feel like crashing, can you fix it in such a way that someone who actually deserves his drive can win? Like, say, Spokesy, for example? Or Damon? Or anyone else? That'd be great, thanks.

I feel like it's been too long since Zimmer threw crap at JJD :lol:
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Yes! That's 4 points in one race, great job! :D
DAMS-Supertec is confirmed for 1999, Scrattenheim will be one of the drivers, and I'm waiting for Nurminen's confirmation.

Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Shizuka wrote:Yes! That's 4 points in one race, great job! :D
DAMS-Supertec is confirmed for 1999, Scrattenheim will be one of the drivers, and I'm waiting for Nurminen's confirmation.

Nurminen is very happy with DAMS's working environment, and shall remain there for his fourth consecutive year in the team.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Great, thanks! :)

Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

If BAR are available, I will declare my interest in taking them over.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

I am still gunning for the Jordan franchise, just to be clear. If a waiting list is declared and I'm not in a position to take Jordan anymore, I'll be happy with Arrows!
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Unless Wizzie decides to play with Douglas' career path, he'll stay, so does Takagi. I want a replacement for Takagi for 2000 though :)
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

RejectSport wrote:Gauthier looking to retain Nicchi, Sunset
Following an improved 1998, seemingly far removed from the horrors of 1997 when the team employed the likes of Robert Anderson and Lawrence Tucker, Guillaume Gauthier has indicated that he is interested in holding on to both his current drivers for the upcoming 1999 season. Since taking over from Frederic-Maxime Voeckler, Emanuele Nicchi has made history for the team, scoring both of their points to date, and thus has earned interest up and down the grid. Former LifeGP star Vic Sunset initially struggled in his first few outings for the team, but has since begun to qualify regularly, and is starting to get on terms with his teammate more regularly.

"Obviously we are very pleased with the improvements we have made this year. Both of our drivers, I feel, are making good progress, as well as our crew. Emanuele has been very very impressive, and to be honest, I do expect him to be given an offer from a team closer to the front than we are at the moment. Nevertheless, he has been an invaluable part of our progress this season and if at all possible, I would very much like to keep him within Equipe Gauthier. As for Vic, it has taken him a little while to get used to F1RGP2C, but he is improving vastly every weekend, and I am confident that, with time, he will be a strong name in the sport."

James James Davies wrote:Eh, I'd be more upset at losing a win, but I guess it's to be expected when the damn tifosi are allowed to dump oil on the track. What's the matter losers, can't handle your crappy team getting the shite knocked out of them?

John Zimmer wrote:Hey Davies, when you feel like crashing, can you fix it in such a way that someone who actually deserves his drive can win? Like, say, Spokesy, for example? Or Damon? Or anyone else? That'd be great, thanks.
James James Davies wrote:Hey, if you losers can't beat Kaz freaking Takagi, none of you deserve to win.

Stewart fires entire technical staff, hopes for fresh start with same drivers in 1999
When asked about hiring other drivers, he said that he approached James Davies briefly. "He seemed content to stay at McLaren, and I don't blame him. Everyone loves him there. But he seemed irked at our unreliability this season. It's ruining our teams' reputation."

How Eddie Stewart's approach to JJD would've actually gone.
James James Davies wrote:First off, the name's James James Davies. Second, I've already signed a contract with McLaren. Third, your team sucks more noodles than Volga or Gauthier. Fourth, get yourself checked into a mental hospital, because clearly you're insane to think I'd ever drive for you.
Everything's great.
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Stramala wrote:I am still gunning for the Jordan franchise, just to be clear. If a waiting list is declared and I'm not in a position to take Jordan anymore, I'll be happy with Arrows!

I am also looking to take over Jordan; however, if Stramala or anyone else gets it, I'd be happy to join the waiting list or take any other vacancies :)
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Andrew Spokes wrote:More points is good but we're now fighting with DAMS for them - this is not what I had in mind. I've got some serious thinking to do before next season begins.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

I still believe in Peugeot :cry: