Post by razta »

WOW!
we saw it coming, but not like this..
http://mercamgf1-fans.com/2013/05/20/pa ... om-3-june/

he'll be an Executive (Technical) Director
wsrgo

Re: LOWE to Merc Next month!

Post by wsrgo »

They already have a technical director, a technology director and an engineering director. Why do they need Paddy? To keep the three of them together? Or to improve the car's horrible race pace?
eytl wrote:I agree. Especially when he talks about one's nerves sending signals 111a and 6783 etc. to the brain upon seeing Ericsson's hairdo.

He's got it all wrong. When I see Ericsson and Chilton's hairdos, the only signal going to my brain is 1049.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Won't make a difference. Well, maybe they'll be a little bit faster starting off next season, but the same underlying problem won't change, because Paddy Lowe is like the 3rd or 4th big name the team has brought in the last couple years and all that policy has done is dress up their problems, not solve them.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:Won't make a difference. Well, maybe they'll be a little bit faster starting off next season, but the same underlying problem won't change, because Paddy Lowe is like the 3rd or 4th big name the team has brought in the last couple years and all that policy has done is dress up their problems, not solve them.

This.

They have this underlying problem for a decade now and they seem to be unable to solve it. At McLaren they had a few problems to solve all these years Paddy was there, so maybe he had faced something similar, but that is a big maybe and odds are that he too will have to take time to focus on the problem. Whatever it is, given the flow of big technical names travelling to Brackley all these years, adding a few more doesn't seem to solve it.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Mercedes seems to be the next Toyota - big money and little results to speak of. Although at least they've already won a race.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Nuppiz wrote:Mercedes seems to be the next Toyota - big money and little results to speak of. Although at least they've already won a race.

And scored more poles than Toyota - Trulli had only one in the farce 05 US GP with them.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Shizuka wrote:
Nuppiz wrote:Mercedes seems to be the next Toyota - big money and little results to speak of. Although at least they've already won a race.

And scored more poles than Toyota - Trulli had only one in the farce 05 US GP with them.

Toyota had three pole positions, as Trulli got pole for Bahrain 2009, the race that Toyota should have won by a canter if they hadn't screwed up their race strategy.

The other pole was Japan 2005, although Ralf was on a ridiculously low amount of fuel, and any chance of victory disappeared when Villeneuve shoved Montoya into the wall early on, bringing out the safety car...
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
BabyG

Post by BabyG »

wsrgo wrote:They already have a technical director, a technology director and an engineering director. Why do they need Paddy? To keep the three of them together? Or to improve the car's horrible race pace?

Reminds me of the latter part of this sketch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JibxHpXqAfc
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

Paddy Lowe going to Mercedes won't do anything in my opinion.

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:Won't make a difference. Well, maybe they'll be a little bit faster starting off next season, but the same underlying problem won't change, because Paddy Lowe is like the 3rd or 4th big name the team has brought in the last couple years and all that policy has done is dress up their problems, not solve them.

Agreed, BCS.

One thing I notice is that Mercedes does well in the first few races, but then seem to drop off like a rock in water. I want Merc to do well, but they seem to keep screwing themselves over.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Zetec

Post by Zetec »

go_Rubens wrote:One thing I notice is that Mercedes does well in the first few races, but then seem to drop off like a rock in water. I want Merc to do well, but they seem to keep screwing themselves over.

Yes, like last year. While the other teams started to bring their updates, Mercedes was still working on the tyre issue. And I remember Brawn saying, that they won't bring any updates not related to this issue, until the tyres are working. And like we all remember, they tried a whole season fixing the tyres, and it didn't work out. And now it seems, that they are back at the same place with the same problem. Looking at 2009 with Brawn GP it was the same: A superior car at the start of the season and then dropping back in pace comparing to the others without being able to bring on updates.

In a way I really want Mercedes to do well; on the other hand, after Schumacher left them I am relieved that they are still crap. That gives me the feeling, that it was the right time for him to leave and he didn't miss out driving a championship winning car. He would still be falling back after a few laps, like Rosberg and Hamilton are doing.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

East Londoner wrote:Toyota had three pole positions, as Trulli got pole for Bahrain 2009, the race that Toyota should have won by a canter if they hadn't screwed up their race strategy.

The other pole was Japan 2005, although Ralf was on a ridiculously low amount of fuel, and any chance of victory disappeared when Villeneuve shoved Montoya into the wall early on, bringing out the safety car...

I totally forgot about those :oops: Shows how rejectful (and unlucky) they were on those two occasions...

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Zetec wrote:In a way I really want Mercedes to do well; on the other hand, after Schumacher left them I am relieved that they are still crap. That gives me the feeling, that it was the right time for him to leave and he didn't miss out driving a championship winning car. He would still be falling back after a few laps, like Rosberg and Hamilton are doing.

In light of what is happening to Mercedes and Hamilton in this 'after Schumacher' times, suddenly the old man foray back into F1 wasn't that bad (stupid crashes exempted). Rosberg beating Hamilton a few times shows that Keke's son is not as slow as many thought.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

DanielPT wrote:
Zetec wrote:In a way I really want Mercedes to do well; on the other hand, after Schumacher left them I am relieved that they are still crap. That gives me the feeling, that it was the right time for him to leave and he didn't miss out driving a championship winning car. He would still be falling back after a few laps, like Rosberg and Hamilton are doing.

In light of what is happening to Mercedes and Hamilton in this 'after Schumacher' times, suddenly the old man foray back into F1 wasn't that bad (stupid crashes exempted). Rosberg beating Hamilton a few times shows that Keke's son is not as slow as many thought.

True.

About Rosberg, I've heard it several times that Williams in particular diagnosed him with a form of Heidfeld-itis: he'll only be as fast as he thinks he needs to be. After he figured where he was against Schumacher, he just did enough to keep Michael in check. Hamilton's arrival in the team this year seems to have brought some extra speed out of him.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!