Given the chance...

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
dr-baker

Given the chance...

Post by dr-baker »

So the Euromillions lottery jackpot is currently something ridiculous (£150 million, which must be about €180 million, or even more in dollars). So, give that this forum is "for all other kinds of randomness", what would you do if you had that kind of money? IndyCar team from scratch? F1 team co-ownership? Sponsor a driver through the ranks? Get a GP on Vanuatu for a single season? Save the Nurburgring from bankruptcy?

Personally, I would love to run an IndyCar team for a year or invest in Williams (not sure which yet) and then become the founder of an F1 Rejects museum: Simtek, Pacific, Forti, Mastercard Lola and Super Aguri would all have to be there, plus some Minardis and Larrousses. Plus some of my dream (affordable) road cars: DeLorean, Fiat 500, classic Mini, Peel P50, etc.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Given the chance...

Post by Nessafox »

Autosport related: I would run some reject cars in Euroboss, and sponsor a few local young drivers.
Non autosport:
-Invest in a car manufacturer (or start one from scratch) i'd try to buy the ford factory and testing facilities here around. And sell the cars for acceptable prices.
-Invest the rest in some affordable houses for normal everyday people , in that way, i can combine a love for fine history Belgian architecture (modernism, art-deco, that kind of stuff) with a social project.
-Put my own waffle stand on every Grand Prix. That will not be an insanely costly affair (it doesnt take a lot to bake waffles, really), but that would give me a monopoly in the racing waffle-business, and give extra funding for my other projects!
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Simple, fund Don Pentecost F1 effort? :lol: That's gotta be worth it, just for the laughs alone.

On a more serious note, I would buy a replicate race track of all the great circuits that ever existed (orginal Nurburgring, Spa & Interlagos etc). Buy a few old classic F1 cars like the;

Lotus 72,
Mclaren M23,
Ferrari 312T4
Ferarri 126C, (My joint favourite ever F1 car...don't ask why)
the 1986 Ferrari F1 car,
Ferrari 642 & 412T2 (other joint favourite ever F1 car, mainly for the V12 engine sound and looks of the car)

And a few rejects F1 cars like;

Osella FA1G,
Zakspeed 881,
Life F1 car,
Andrea Moda F1 car,
1990 Larousse Lamborghini Lola LC90 (great sounding V12 engine)

A few group C lemans cars & group B rally cars (and build a rally track of course). And a few classic old supercars like the GT40, Ferrari 288 GTO or F40 etc. And boy I would have some serious fun!!! :P.
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

I'd buy two Dome S103 and run them at Le Mans. Formula 1 is too expensive, even for someone who owns 180 million Euro. I wouldn't race myself, because I know I'd make Chanoch Nissany look fast.
Last edited by pi314159 on 24 Jun 2013, 19:17, edited 1 time in total.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Cars I would buy: Pagani Zonda (Money no object dream car), Nissan GT-R, Toyota Supra (affordable dream car), Peugeot 106 (Don't laugh. I used to run my own 106 Rallye as a track-day car in the MSV Trackday Trophy). An old GP2/F3000 car for professional track days. BOSS Series would be brilliant.

Houses I would buy: Couple of houses in centre of London. A few in the country. One in Miami. One in Japan.

Invest in: New-build property (Flats, row of houses etc)

And finally: Set up my own BTCC team. It's my own dream to one day be on that grid. I'd love to know how much it would cost for the year.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
Rasmus

Post by Rasmus »

First of all I would invest in something which could make money, lots of money, so I don't run out of them :P

Then invest in and support danish racing talents and set up a race track of international standard in Denmark and run my own danish team (probably an LMP2 car) for Le Mans with only danish drivers :D

EDIT: I would also buy an Aston Martin DB9, a McLaren MP4-12C and a Ferrari 458 Italia and buy a house outside Monte Carlo.
Blog about all things motorsport - http://motorsportist.wordpress.com/
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

I'm going to be really boring, but I'd pay off my current and future university fees first and foremost. Give a few million to close family and friends.

Then...

Go to a great many music festivals and visit the cities of Europe.

Get myself an average car, so I don't look like a dick on the roads. I really don't have a need to have anything big or flashy.

Invest in a couple of new guitars (I'd love a Fender Telecaster, and possibly a Gretsch White Falcon); build up a pedalboard and stuff.

Finally buy a turntable. Then the incentive to go hunting for rare vinyls will come, as I intend to build a huge collection.

Give £5-10 million to a TRUSTWORTHY charity. Invest £1-2 million in Bath City FC.

Put the (possibly considerable) rest in the bank, and save it for later. This "later" may include moving to California, buying and running my own café, and doing my best to maximise my happiness. As long as I have a cushion of £10 million left, whatever goes I guess. I really have no idea what to do with large amounts of money...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

If I could own or rent some F1 cars, I would purchase...

Williams FW16
Jordan 197
Jordan 199
Renault R23
BAR 006
Ferrari F1 248
Williams FW29
McLaren MP4-23

and then the high noses arrived :x
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

In F1 terms i would own all of Mark Webber's trophies as some merchandise when he hangs up his helmet's. Currently he has 36 podiums to his name. Also I'd get a signed cap from Nico Rosberg

On a personal note I would get a growth ray and Grow a Girl. I know it sounds weird but i'm happy with that. My motto is don't be a sheep be proud you are unique
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

I would pour as much money as possible into becoming a pro race driver myself!
Maybe a little too late to start single seaters but everything else is fair game.
Message me on Discord.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

ibsey wrote:Simple, fund Don Pentecost F1 effort? :lol: That's gotta be worth it, just for the laughs alone.

Nah, invest in a team, and on the sidepod, have the slogan, "This is a cool spot, isn't it, DON PENTECOST!"

Oh and in my car collection/museum, I would definitely want a Tyrrell P34...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

On the other hand, i could just buy damn North Korea and become a "fearsome" dictator. Yeah, that would be better than all what i mentioned above! Obviously i won't last very long, but at least i'll go down in history books as an evil evil person. Not as good as being remembered as a great person, but much easier to achieve.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

I would use the money to fund a career in touring cars, working my way through the single-make categories before I finally achieve my ambition of not getting lapped more than once in the BTCC. :P
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

I'd try to get some sufficient funding and enter a series in Europe, try to kill some tough opposition on the racetrack, make it into the Ferrari Driver Academy, and become one of the first American F1 drivers since Scott Speed (assuming Rossi gets into a Caterham). And maybe I'll kick butt on the track, or become the next Grosjean or Maldonado, and be a proud reject, in which I have a profile, an interview with Enoch and Jamie, and possibly start a team in either F1 or the WEC.

But, before all of this, I'll attempt to get to the Summer Olympics in Whitewater Slalom and try my best there. Make it to the World Championships as well. That way, I can be another F1 driver to have participated in the Olympics! :D

Kimi-ICE wrote:In F1 terms i would own all of Mark Webber's trophies as some merchandise when he hangs up his helmet's. Currently he has 36 podiums to his name. Also I'd get a signed cap from Nico Rosberg

On a personal note I would get a growth ray and Grow a Girl. I know it sounds weird but i'm happy with that. My motto is don't be a sheep be proud you are unique

Sounds pretty nerdy to me, but can't you find a girl on your own? It'd sound a lot more romantic, you know! :P

I'd like to buy some F1 merchandise, build a storage unit which can withstand the worst weather conditions by myself, and keep my merchandise there. I'd buy the Life L190, the Onyx ORE-1 (I think that is what it's called), and the Williams FW23 driven by JPM. Meanwhile, I'd buy a few of EvdP's helmets and the Ferrari 412t2 engine on display. Weird, huh?

midgrid wrote:I would use the money to fund a career in touring cars, working my way through the single-make categories before I finally achieve my ambition of not getting lapped more than once in the BTCC. :P

Kinda what I want to do, really.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Apart from th e boring stuff (like buying a new car,paying university etc.), I would...

...Invest in reviving Changi motorsports hub. Sure,I'm not going to burn all my £150 millios on that,but it would still give Singaporeans some chance of racing in Singapore.

...Start up a minor racing series. I always wanted to do this,and to create and host a small one surely costs less than £150 million.

...Invest in a F1 or Indycar team. Dunno which to do,but it will do good with a bit of the rest of my money. Maybe Williams in F1, dunno about Indycar though.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

... I'd probably spend quite a bit of it trying to get my indie games developer thing up and running, but I'm sure there'd be enough to start up a BTCC team or something, right?
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Mine wasn't very imaginative, was it?

I'd probably spend a few million on a nice showroom with the world's best collection of reject F1 machinery. Or putting together a GP2 team.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Ah, this topic is one you can talk to literally anyone about, and it'll always be interesting.

Firstly, i'd invest a good few million in Birmingham City FC, they have financial problems and i'd love to be able to help them out, as they need something.

After that, i'd buy some land and create a few go-kart tracks, maybe some other small tracks, and hold some events.

Also, i'd definitely buy some classic F1 cars. Some reject such as the Life L190, Lola T97/30 and Simtek S951 as well as some non-reject cars such as the Jordan 191, Jordan 199 and Williams FW25. Some track days would definitely be happening too.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

I would be going for street cars more. Some of my wish list is below.

1970 Ford Mustang Mach 1 (Mostly because my father used to own one of these.)
1973 Nissan Skyline GTR
1969 Shelby GT500KR
1986 Ford F-150 XLT
1984 Toyota Supra
1971 Buick Riviera
1973 Pontiac Trans Am
1995 Porsche 911 GT2
1992 Ferrari F40
1991 Nissan Skyline (Basic RWD Version)
2002 Subaru Impreza WRC Spec
2012 Caparo T1
1995 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo III WRC Spec
1969 Ford GT40
1993 Porsche 911 Pandora One
2004 Ford Focus WRC Spec

Those are my primary ones at the moment. Of course there are other things I could do with it. Buy a nice house in Texas, invest in the stock market, beef up my gun collection, ect, ect.
Last edited by DOSBoot on 25 Jun 2013, 02:38, edited 1 time in total.
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Strike the idea of a team for me. I'll try to be kinda unique, I guess, with another few things to add:

1. Purchase an estate on the French Riviera or build one myself, as such a place to live is my dream home, and I've always wanted to live in France. Mainly to live a happy live and travel to the Tour de France every year.

2. Purchase a few cars prized in Le Mans history, such as a Porsche 956 or an Alpine, maybe the Ford Mark IV in my current avatar. Again, for my storage unit, but as something related to racing history and not just F1.

3. If I have to spend any money to find a way to meet Jacky Ickx, I will do it. I don't care the cost.

4. Buy an Aston Martin DB9, Ferrari F12, and a McLaren P1. 'Nuff said.

5. Build a machine which can reverse the minds of the worst people I know in person, because I've had enough of their attitude and they need to zark off. If they don't do it, I will reverse their thinking.
Probably not possible, but I'd try!
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

I'd start an IndyCar team ideally operating it similar to Dick Simon or Dale Coyne and support young talent up the ranks. Maybe learn to race touring cars so I could race in the Bathurst 1000.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Buy one of my old Minardis and stick it in the back garden.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Barbazza wrote:Buy one of my old Minardis and stick it in the back garden.

Not a fan of the AGS?
I like the way Snrub thinks!
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Basically do what Klaus Zwaart did. Private racetrack as my back garden, with a underwater garage filled with hypercars and legendary reject race cars. With a Star Trek-eque turbolift connecting the lair...I mean, garage, to the house above.

I imagine if I got rich I'd turn full-blown greedy capitalist. Probably reinvest the 150M as smartly as I could and try to duplicate it several times over until becoming a billionaire, or something.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I had the idea earlier that given the opportunity, I would try to bring IndyCars over to Rockingham (England!) and have the British Pick-ups and Euro Racecar as support races on the oval. And find a way to make sure that there were a number of extra Brits taking part, like Pippa Mann but not Mike Conway for obvious reasons.
MCard LOLA
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

dr-baker wrote:I had the idea earlier that given the opportunity, I would try to bring IndyCars over to Rockingham (England!) and have the British Pick-ups and Euro Racecar as support races on the oval. And find a way to make sure that there were a number of extra Brits taking part, like Pippa Mann but not Mike Conway for obvious reasons.

That sound pretty awesome!

If I had any money left, I'd invest in the Pescarolo team and bring sponsorship to them so they can rise up from the near death and become giant-killers at Le Mans and the WEC. And if I can't do that, I'd build a track here in the glorious place called France, which includes part public road and part permanent circuit, and make it so that there is a set-up compromise and could possibly make it onto the F1 calendar. Yes, similar to Le Mans, I guess, and there are probably too many circuits in France already, but this place would basically be Paul Ricard and Le Mans combined in terms of complexity and speed, albeit only around 6 km. Master plan, huh?
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

go_Rubens wrote:
Kimi-ICE wrote:In F1 terms i would own all of Mark Webber's trophies as some merchandise when he hangs up his helmet's. Currently he has 36 podiums to his name. Also I'd get a signed cap from Nico Rosberg

Sounds pretty nerdy to me, but can't you find a girl on your own? It'd sound a lot more romantic, you know! :P

I have my friends back in the Wirral mate. I hope I haven't put DR Baker to shame
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Kimi-ICE wrote:On a personal note I would get a growth ray and Grow a Girl. I know it sounds weird but i'm happy with that. My motto is don't be a sheep be proud you are unique

What the bathplug is a grow a girl? Or do I really, really not want to know?
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:
Kimi-ICE wrote:On a personal note I would get a growth ray and Grow a Girl. I know it sounds weird but i'm happy with that. My motto is don't be a sheep be proud you are unique

I think he means that he'll use a growth ray to grow a girl. Which is erm, an innovative way of finding someone, I suppose, if not exactly very natural. :?
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

East Londoner wrote:

I think he means that he'll use a growth ray to grow a girl. Which is erm, an innovative way of finding someone, I suppose, if not exactly very natural. :?

It's a way to make me happy Ok. I like a giant girl. Say what you want but I don't care It's what makes me who I am
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

East Londoner wrote:

This is what I was getting out of it, so we're thinking alike, East Londoner.

Kimi-ICE wrote:It's a way to make me happy Ok. I like a giant girl. Say what you want but I don't care It's what makes me who I am

Yeah, I'd say that alright! ;)

But I'll say this, there are weirder people out there :| Much weirder people, I have to add.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Kimi-ICE wrote:It's a way to make me happy Ok. I like a giant girl. Say what you want but I don't care It's what makes me who I am

Sure whatever keeps you happy mate :) after all, who am I to judge?
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Hound55

Post by Hound55 »

I'd buy a race car bed.

Literally. A bed made out of a race car. Maybe a BMW from the WTCC, they look fairly roomy if they don't have a cage. Or perhaps that Bentley GT3 car, that looks like I could fit a King sized mattress in there!
LONG LIVE MARUSSIA

Things I was wrong about:
Kimi to Ferrari, Perez out of McLaren, Maldonado to Lotus, Kobash comes back, Gutierrez stays, Chilton stays, Boullier leaves Lotus.

I stream Ustream, we all scream for PRC.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Hound55 wrote:I'd buy a race car bed.

Literally. A bed made out of a race car. Maybe a BMW from the WTCC, they look fairly roomy if they don't have a cage. Or perhaps that Bentley GT3 car, that looks like I could fit a King sized mattress in there!

Well, that would certainly be unique!
MCard LOLA
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

This is what immediately sprang to mind:

James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

FullMetalJack wrote:
Barbazza wrote:Buy one of my old Minardis and stick it in the back garden.

Not a fan of the AGS?

Well, now you mention it, one of those would probably look more dynamic stationary in my back garden than it ever did on a race track.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

And the one with the aquamarine blue + red + yellow + whatever else they could chuck at it livery would keep the burglars away.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

dinizintheoven wrote:

This is what immediately sprang to mind:

Well that was inevitable
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Sure whatever keeps you happy mate :) after all, who am I to judge?

"Death to the men! Death by snu-snu!"
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Ataxia wrote:"Death to the men! Death by snu-snu!"

...and that was the second thing I thought of.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"