The Curtly Ambrose Cricket Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
takagi_for_the_win

Re: The Curtly Ambrose Cricket Thread

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

mario wrote:
East Londoner wrote:Bathplug sake, Bell and Prior both just got bowled out by Harris in consecutive balls. Great bowling by the Aussies for once. :evil:

Bresnan did manage to salvage something from his innings though, and with Swann putting on a respectable 30 before Anderson was bowled out, it means that England are all out for 330, leaving Australia with a target of 298 (which, on a pitch that seems to be fairly tricky to bat on, is not quite as easy a task as it might seem).

To be fair, it would appear that 300 on the Durham pitch this season is not an easy figure to achieve, and if Swann, Anderson and Broad can carry on racking up the wickets England stand a decent chance of winning in my book
TORA! TORA! TORA!
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

As this thread is named after a West Indian cricket legend, I'll repeat this from the BBC text commentary.

The BBC, via Twitter wrote:To find your own personal West Indian cricketer's name, take the surname of the US President when you were born, and add to it the last British seaside town you visited.

This gives me something of a problem. The last place on the coast I've been to was Heysham, but that was only because the boat from the Isle of Man docked there. The last place I visited in the Isle of Man was Douglas, because I had to return there to get the boat - earlier on I'd been in Castletown, but did spend some time in Douglas on the last day. But does Manx count as "British", seeing as while I was there, Tynwald Day happened (I planned that) which reminded everyone, the Isle of Man is not part of the UK, but presumably counts under "British Isles". If it doesn't count, strictly, then the previous coastal settlement I visited was Aberdeen, but only then because I had to change planes there on the way back from the Shetlands - I never left the airport. I suppose Lerwick was the last genuinely British coastal town that I genuinely visited. Even so, I don't think Lerwick, Aberdeen, Heysham or Castletown make particularly good surnames.

The first name is very straightforward - I was born in 1979 when Jimmy Carter was US President.

I'm going to add something in there as well: the cricketer's middle name(s). I see several choices here:
(1) The defeated Presidential candidate for any election that the winner competed in, provided that that candidate wasn't the incumbent President or would be later.
(2) The Vice President for that term
(3) The President's running mate, if that's not the same as the Vice President
(4) The First Lady's maiden name

For the 1976 Presidential Election, Jimmy Carter beat Gerald Ford, the incumbent President (disqualified), his running mate was Walter Mondale, who became his Vice President, and Rosalynn Carter's maiden name was Smith (dull).

So I'd like to introduce you all to my Antiguan alter-ego, the rock-steady opening batsman, Carter Mondale Douglas. He might not be a swashbuckling six-spanker like Viv Richards or Chris Gayle, but you'll have to change the cricket ball for a grenade to get him out.

I'm sure that between the readers of this forum we can come up with an entire starting eleven, and their place in the order. For starters, on the text commentary there's already been an Eisenhower Porthcawl (probably a middle-order batsman) and Clinton Whitby. However, if he who went to Whitby had gone down the coast a bit, the name would have been Clinton Scarborough, and that sounds to me like the natural successor to Curtly Ambrose. Clinton Rodham Scarborough works very well, I'd say.

If I take the last places on the coast that I know I went to with my dad and grandad respectively - and as they're both long dead (1942-93 and 1915-95 respectively) I'm stretching the memory somewhat - we come up with two further players in Roosevelt Wallace Weston(-super-Mare...!) and Wilson Marshall Aldeburgh (possibly a backup bowler, doesn't open the bowling, bats at 11). Throw in my uncle as well (born 1945) and we have the superbly-named Truman Barkley Sheringham.

Go on, then, you lot - show me what you've got. I'm expecting a flurry of Clintons, obviously, but there's been quite a few Presidents with surnames that'd work very well here, even if none of them would occur amongst the F1 Rejects crowd. Reagan, obviously; Nixon as well, and there's really been Nixon McLean playing for the Windies a decade or so ago; see also Ford, Johnson, Kennedy, McKinley, Cleveland (did someone say Family Guy?), Arthur (must have been one already), Garfield (Sobers), Grant (though Ulysses is also an excellent first name), Lincoln... there are some clunkers, though - Bush, Obama and Taft don't make for good first names, and I'm not convinced about Coolidge either.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

The problem is, I actually live in a seaside town (though Lowestoft's seafront is pretty appalling, truth be told). So, say hello to Clinton Rodham Yarmouth, surely a wicketkeeper.

Australia's batting order are doing the expected and collapsing in spectacular style. They were 173-3 about 40 minutes ago, they're now 188-7 as I post this. And Watson got LBW'd yet again. :lol:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

East Londoner wrote: And Watson got LBW'd yet again. :lol:

Please tell me he reviewed it... :P

And say hello to Clinton Keel (Keel is, I'll admit Irish, not British, and to call it a town is a massive overstatement, but for this I think it works)
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:
East Londoner wrote: And Watson got LBW'd yet again. :lol:

Please tell me he reviewed it... :P

Yup, he did. :P

Man of the match has to be Stuart Broad, 11 wickets over the 4 days.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
johnnyCarwash

Post by johnnyCarwash »

Wizzie wrote:INB4 yet another Aussie top order collapse. Calling it now.

You called it right wizzie. After a promising start Clarke's wicket fell and the remaining 7 wickets fell for a mere 50 :lol:
Well deserved MOTM for Broad, that was an awesome spell this evening :D

Reject of the day - Steven Smith - First he dropped Swan by taking his eye off the ball and then somehow plays the ball onto his wicket

For 2 months I can't use Reagan...
Well here is my West Indian Cricketer opening batsman - B. D. (Bush Dukakis) Lymington
The ChiltonCraze at the British Grand Prix
FIA driver press conference announcer wrote:On pole position for his home grand prix for the first time, Max Chilton
mario

Post by mario »

dinizintheoven wrote:As this thread is named after a West Indian cricket legend, I'll repeat this from the BBC text commentary.

The BBC, via Twitter wrote:To find your own personal West Indian cricketer's name, take the surname of the US President when you were born, and add to it the last British seaside town you visited.

This gives me something of a problem. The last place on the coast I've been to was Heysham, but that was only because the boat from the Isle of Man docked there. The last place I visited in the Isle of Man was Douglas, because I had to return there to get the boat - earlier on I'd been in Castletown, but did spend some time in Douglas on the last day. But does Manx count as "British", seeing as while I was there, Tynwald Day happened (I planned that) which reminded everyone, the Isle of Man is not part of the UK, but presumably counts under "British Isles". If it doesn't count, strictly, then the previous coastal settlement I visited was Aberdeen, but only then because I had to change planes there on the way back from the Shetlands - I never left the airport. I suppose Lerwick was the last genuinely British coastal town that I genuinely visited. Even so, I don't think Lerwick, Aberdeen, Heysham or Castletown make particularly good surnames.

Since you ask, the Isle of Man does not form part of the UK as it is a British Crown Dependency - that means that, although the Isle of Man is nominally possessed by the British monarch and the Isle of Man isn't technically a sovereign nation, it is self governing rather than being administered by the UK government.

johnnyCarwash wrote:

You called it right wizzie. After a promising start Clarke's wicket fell and the remaining 7 wickets fell for a mere 50 :lol:

Reject of the day - Steven Smith - First he dropped Swan by taking his eye off the ball and then somehow plays the ball onto his wicket

Well here is my West Indian Cricketer opening batsman - B. D. (Bush Dukakis) Lymington

Once he found his rhythm, Broad tore through the Australian batsmen with surprising ease - going from 168-2 to 224 all out was a remarkably swift collapse. He's been under some criticism over his form in the previous games, so if ever there was a time to pull out a sessions like that, he couldn't have timed it better.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

johnnyCarwash wrote:

Wizzie was actually wrong, it was a middle order collapse. :lol: The openers played pretty well. Anyway, England win the Ashes despite only having one batsman (Bell)!
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

As there aren't going to be many posters old enough to use his name, I'll post my Nixon-based cricket name :

Nixon Ford Scratby

Sounds a jovial follow ...

or, the next-to-last seaside town I visited gives us :

Nixon Ford Felixstowe

Which sounds better (thanks to the alliteration) :)
mario

Post by mario »

Well, it looks like most of the curveballs today came from those picking the bowlers for England thanks to their unconventional choice of Kerrigan and Woakes, both of whom got their first caps today.

It looks like it has been a tough time for both bowlers - Woakes seems to have had a tough time but at least managed to tidy things up later on. 52 runs conceded from 15 overs without wickets is a bit pricey given that Anderson managed two wickets for 52 runs in 18 overs, but not so bad when compared to Broad (Broad got one wicket, but at 73 runs from 19 overs it means that the run rate was about 3.8 runs from Broad compared to 3.5 for Woakes).
Kerrigan, though, has had a bit of a shocker - 53 runs in 8 overs has cost England dearly today, and the reports seem to suggest that Kerrigan has been struggling to cope with the pressure today. I suspect that it might be a while before Kerrigan is picked again as a Test level bowler - if the selectors want him to play at an international level, perhaps it might be better to do so in a lower pressure environment first rather than throwing him in at the deep end in the Ashes.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Last time I saw anyone fling pies like that, Homer Simpson appeared and ate them all.

Sayonara four-nil... unless the Aussies decide to kick their stumps over in the second innings...
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
mario

Post by mario »

dinizintheoven wrote:Last time I saw anyone fling pies like that, Homer Simpson appeared and ate them all.

Sayonara four-nil... unless the Aussies decide to kick their stumps over in the second innings...

Or, as was the case today, the weather intervenes and cuts short play - although the Australians didn't let that stop them as they piled on the runs towards the end of the day. It looks like it'll be tough work for England to work themselves back into contention given the lead they allowed Australia to accumulate today...
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I'm backing Cook to finally lead by example this series and take it to the Aussies on the 3rd day. It's clearly a good batting track and he's overdue a good knock.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Hmmm. Everyone's into double figures so far, even that strange player called X. Tras at the bottom of the scorecard...
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Not sure much needs to be said except the ICC need to change their rules on bad light. Just turn the floodlights on! Although as many have said, 4-0 to England would have been a flattering scoreline as it could easily have been 3-2 had their not been rain interruptions during the series.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

watka wrote:Not sure much needs to be said except the ICC need to change their rules on bad light. Just turn the floodlights on!

Indeed. That would have been such a memorable way to cap the Ashes series if they'd let them play the last 4 overs.

Ah well, only have to wait until December until battle is resumed, down under. Hopefully England will sort out their openers, especially Cook who hasn't had a decent-sized innings in the entire series.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

East Londoner wrote:
watka wrote:Not sure much needs to be said except the ICC need to change their rules on bad light. Just turn the floodlights on!

Indeed. That would have been such a memorable way to cap the Ashes series if they'd let them play the last 4 overs.

Ah well, only have to wait until December until battle is resumed, down under. Hopefully England will sort out their openers, especially Cook who hasn't had a decent-sized innings in the entire series.

Yes, you have to think the away series will be a lot closer. Our bowling attack is very good, but Swann won't be quite as effective on Aussie wickets and Anderson won't get the swing either. Finn and 1 other (Bresnan or Tremlett probably) will have to up their game to support Anderson and Broad. As for the batting, we haven't hit over 400 all series and Bell & Pietersen were the only batsmen in any sort of form. That might come under serious scrutiny out in Oz.
tzerof1

Post by tzerof1 »

A question for the forum's cricket followers, out of curiosity what are your views on the announcements that there will be 2 extra DRS reviews per side and no Hot Spot for the winter Ashes series?

I think that giving the extra DRS reviews does nothing to address the issues that caused the controversy over the system in the first place. If the umpires on the field don't channel their inner Simon Taufel(or Steve Bucknor) and raise their game without relying on the DRS to bail them out when they get it wrong, then there will still be almost as much controversy as before, though hopefully nothing as ugly and divisive as Broad walk-gate. If Michael Clarke doesn't learn to use his side's DRS reviews more strategically, having two more is just two more to waste before ending up in a situation like the aforementioned Broad walk-gate.

As for getting rid of Hot Spot, I will agree that is a positive step in addressing some of the contention over DRS this summer. I don't think this should be a complete abolition of it from the game though, rather an opportunity for the manufacturers and the ICC to do some more R&D on it, and reintroduce it, when it is made more reliable, or at least explanations can be found for why it doesn't show some edges, etc. and also perhaps introduce a different protocol with the media centre, to ensure the availability of all Hot Spot angles when needed.

That's my view on the subject, and I look forward to hearing what some of you have to say. Sorry if my bumping of this thread has aggrieved and/or otherwise made anyone unhappy.
"If you don't like it, overtake or f**k off!"- Niki Lauda responding to complaints of his Brabham BT46 'fan car" throwing debris in drivers' faces.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

tzerof1 wrote:A question for the forum's cricket followers, out of curiosity what are your views on the announcements that there will be 2 extra DRS reviews per side and no Hot Spot for the winter Ashes series?

I think that giving the extra DRS reviews does nothing to address the issues that caused the controversy over the system in the first place. If the umpires on the field don't channel their inner Simon Taufel(or Steve Bucknor) and raise their game without relying on the DRS to bail them out when they get it wrong, then there will still be almost as much controversy as before, though hopefully nothing as ugly and divisive as Broad walk-gate. If Michael Clarke doesn't learn to use his side's DRS reviews more strategically, having two more is just two more to waste before ending up in a situation like the aforementioned Broad walk-gate.

As for getting rid of Hot Spot, I will agree that is a positive step in addressing some of the contention over DRS this summer. I don't think this should be a complete abolition of it from the game though, rather an opportunity for the manufacturers and the ICC to do some more R&D on it, and reintroduce it, when it is made more reliable, or at least explanations can be found for why it doesn't show some edges, etc. and also perhaps introduce a different protocol with the media centre, to ensure the availability of all Hot Spot angles when needed.

That's my view on the subject, and I look forward to hearing what some of you have to say. Sorry if my bumping of this thread has aggrieved and/or otherwise made anyone unhappy.

DRS shouldn't be there in the first place.
...Wait, wrong sport.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

So, we still can't bat for shite, but at least we can bowl. :)
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
tzerof1

Post by tzerof1 »

Wizzie wrote:So, we still can't bat for shite, but at least we can bowl. :)

Funny how fortunes change in the blink of an eye, but that's why I love Test cricket, and this will be one of those sessions to show to all the T20 bandwagoners and "Tests are boring", "Tests are dead" folk that they can crawl under a rock.

At this rate there won't even be a fifth day unless the top order of both sides play Geoff Boycott style in their respective second innings, and really build the runs over a long time at the crease, instead of feeling pressured to score runs as if it were an ODI. Not to denigrate, in any way, the work of either side's bowlers, who have mostly been great.
"If you don't like it, overtake or f**k off!"- Niki Lauda responding to complaints of his Brabham BT46 'fan car" throwing debris in drivers' faces.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

tzerof1 wrote:At this rate there won't even be a fifth day unless the top order of both sides play Geoff Boycott style in their respective second innings

Make that a combination of Boycott and Sunil Gavaskar, with maybe a bit of Chris Tavaré lurking on the sidelines.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

I hope England get their act together because yesterday was a farce.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Well, this is a bloody disaster, nearly 400 behind the Aussies now. :|
HawkAussie

Post by HawkAussie »

East Londoner wrote:Well, this is a bloody disaster, nearly 400 behind the Aussies now. :|

This is so LOL on England parts

ROTM: England collapse of 6-9
Officially Retired
tzerof1

Post by tzerof1 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/25085025

Jonathan Trott leaves Ashes due to "stress-related illness". According to Andy Flower, Trott has been struggling with it for awhile now, and Trott felt it was really hurting his ability to perform, and he needed to spend some time at home to sort it out.

So this brings up the question, who will replace him?

Whilst Trott's last 2 innings were well below his usual standard, due to this condition he has been struggling with, it's that usual standard that makes it a large void to fill. The journos are saying that Cook could move Bell to the number three spot and bring in either Jonny Bairstow, Gary Ballance, or Ben Stokes to fill the middle void. Whilst all three wouldn't necessarily be a bad choice, I can't help but feel that it would be remiss of the selectors to not give at least some consideration to bringing back Nick Compton. After all, he really wasn't in that bad of form at the time of his sacking, and ultimately was only overlooked(in my view) to make room for a returning KP and because the selectors thought Joe Root was a better opening partner for Cook. And we all saw how the latter point materialised for the most part. There's no denying he's much more experienced in Tests than the aforementioned others. Honestly, he can't do any worse than the rest of the side so far, to be fair. Not to denigrate the skills of the aforementioned other three players in any way, it's just something I think the selectors ought to consider.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Bairstow - the Aussies have the better of him from the Ashes series in England
Ballance - wrong time to bring in an uncapped player
Stokes - what's the point of medium pace on the Aussie wickets

Therefore, I totally agree that Nick Compton is probably the best guy to bring in as he'll be really fired up and is not a bad player at all. Either that or they could do worse than bringing in Steven Finn to add another pace option. Shame that Bresnan isn't available as he is tenacious and can bat a bit too.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

tzerof1 wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/25085025

Jonathan Trott leaves Ashes due to "stress-related illness". According to Andy Flower, Trott has been struggling with it for awhile now, and Trott felt it was really hurting his ability to perform, and he needed to spend some time at home to sort it out.

Bathplug. The Aussies - and David Warner in particular, I reckon - are going to have a field day with this one. It's Marcus Trescothick all over again...
tzerof1

Post by tzerof1 »

watka wrote: Shame that Bresnan isn't available as he is tenacious and can bat a bit too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/25129592

Bresnan makes 57 against Queensland 2nd XI and hopes to prove fitness in time for the 2nd Test. So there may be hope that he is indeed fit, and the selectors make a sensible choice.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

tzerof1 wrote:
watka wrote: Shame that Bresnan isn't available as he is tenacious and can bat a bit too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/25129592

Bresnan makes 57 against Queensland 2nd XI and hopes to prove fitness in time for the 2nd Test. So there may be hope that he is indeed fit, and the selectors make a sensible choice.

Woohoo!

Whilst the England team ramble around for a couple of days in the Australian wilderness licking their wounds, let's all remind ourselves of the greatest moment in cricket ever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S2ca4oeJd8
Ben Purse

Post by Ben Purse »

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8763725

Pretty good day for the youngsters coming through. One of them is a good mate of mine (Jake Doran). Hoping for his sake he lives up to his hype (I personality think he will).
tzerof1

Post by tzerof1 »

Thoughts on the last Test:

England:

-the fact that all of the balls that got them out would have never hit the stumps speaks for itself.
-Mitchell Johnson is only one man. While he is good, the top order need to stop acting like he bowls grenades.
-If their bowlers don't find some better form as well, it won't matter how much the batting improves if they have to keep overcoming 500+ run deficits.
-While Stokes wasn't terrible, Bresnan probably still would have been better.

Australia:

Overall, it's difficult to find fault with Australia's performance in the last Test. They've come a long way and made great progress as a team, and have made many people around the world eat some crow, myself included. Though I can't help but feel it's slightly exaggerated by England being in such bad shape. If England gets it together, the next Test will be the true indicator of their growth.

Thoughts on the next Test:

England:

-the British press and the selectors need to shut up about Gary Ballance, and talk up bringing Nick Compton back in the side. Whilst Ballance is good, he is not what the side needs right now. Compton can bring form, stability, and familiarity into the side. He can be just the guy to give the top order a kick in the arse that it desperately needs. And if he were moved up to partner Cook again, that could be even more helpful.

-Also the selectors need to bring back Bresnan. With the WACA being talked up as being a fast bowler's pitch, Bresnan will be a handy addition, with the added bonus of being good with the bat as well.

-the batting needs to not be pressurised by Mitchell Johnson. Wait him out, wear him down, don't play silly shots, score off of the other bowlers until he wears down. He's only human, so opportunities will come, they just need to keep their wickets long enough.

-the bowling, as a whole, needs to be stronger to back up the batting. More wickets for fewer runs. Easier said than done, but with a pitch that is being talked up as a fast bowler's pitch, hopefully Broad, Anderson, and whomever is selected for as the third will make great use of it.

Australia:

The saying of "If it isn't broke, don't fix it" applies very well here. They just need to not get complacent in the meantime, as this may be the match that will decide the series. They've got the formula right so far, it seems. Other than maybe avoiding putting Steve Smith in to bowl? :lol:
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Nice summary tzerof1, especially for an American.

As you say, there is a lot of concentration on England's poor batting, when in fact England could also learn something from the Aussie's bowling. Bringing in a tall, fast bowler would make a lot of sense at the WACA, perhaps Steven Finn? Otherwise, Bresnan should be a reliable call - never tires and can bat a bit. If I were a selector, these would be my teams:

England:
Cook
Carberry
Root
Pietersen
Bell
Prior
Bresnan
Broad
Swann
Anderson
Finn

Yes, there are only 5 specialist batsmen, but its not like Prior, Bresnan and Broad are incapable of 50s. There are 4 pace bowlers and it would be a brave man to remove Swann from the team, but Bresnan is a perfect fit as a batsman/bowler. Hopefully this team can keep the Aussie total low and remove some of the pressure from the batsman - Australia have twice batted and been able to apply the pressure. Australia have had so much success at the WACA so it might be worth getting the tapes out and trying to work out and copy their game.

Australia:
Rogers
Warner
Watson
Clarke
Bailey
Haddin
Johnson
Faulkner
Siddle
Harris
Lyon

The only change I'd make is to take out Steve Smith, who is a bit reckless with the bat and his bowling would have nothing to offer at the WACA. It would be a good chance for Faulkner to get a game, again a batsman-pace bowler, who should thrive in these conditions. If not, I'd bring in another specialist batsman such as Philip Hughes. The Aussies are winning all of the mind games right now and if the keep applying the pressure, the test will win itself.
David AGS

Post by David AGS »

watka, both sides look good.

So far England do not like taking 20 wickets, so Prior at six would make sense, and made a 50 in his last innings so may have found his form back, guess the only issue is the top 4 haven't really fired, so Bresnan at 7 don't look good! Very interesting which way they go, perhaps they will go for an all pace attack, therefore playing another batsman or Stokes with Swann carrying the drinks, leaving Root and perhaps Pietersen to bowl spin.

This wicket should suit the quicks. Having said that, I think the Aussies will go unchanged, with Faulkner 12th man again sadly. Once again interesting selection options for both, but most important thing is win the toss and bat, whoever wins that will take a huge advantage in particular here. Also, 35+ degrees scheduled for first 3 days of test!
Miserable Thierry (Boutsen) staggers round mostly on ten cylinders (out of 12) with no clutch, low oil pressure, bad brakes and no grip to finish tenth, 3 laps down...

(Murray Walkers review of Boutsen's Brazil 1991 race).

Thats a point these days!
tzerof1

Post by tzerof1 »

David AGS wrote:with Swann carrying the drinks, leaving Root and perhaps Pietersen to bowl spin.

Even though they might not use his off spin, Swann's too good of a slip to be carrying drinks.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Hardly seems worth mentioning, but Australia have inevitably and deservedly regained the Ashes with a 150-odd run win on day 5 in Perth. England have made it somewhat easy for them at times, but the Aussies have done everything right. Johnson struck fear into England from day 1 and there has always been players able to contribute 100s throughout the team.

Naturally, my team suggestions were rubbish; suggesting that Stokes and Smith should be dropped and both go to make hundreds...

I think for the Melbourne test that Carberry, Cook, Pietersen and Bell should all be dropped. :D
tzerof1

Post by tzerof1 »

watka wrote:I think for the Melbourne test that Carberry, Cook, Pietersen and Bell should all be dropped. :D

If, (what I suspect is) your intended result, comes to be reality, then this effect shall become known as "The Watka Effect", though Enoch and a few others on here might see it as "The Curse of Watka" :P

On that note, I shall now go and eat a big helping of crow, courtesy of Ben Stokes.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

watka wrote:I think for the Melbourne test that Carberry, Cook, Pietersen and Bell should all be dropped. :D

Carberry dropped? He has been one of the few useful players in your side.

And also:
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

eurobrun wrote:

Carberry dropped? He has been one of the few useful players in your side.

It was a joke - I called for Smith and Stokes to be dropped from the WACA test and they ended up being the two best batsmen. I'm hoping by saying the above, the same will happen for these players.

Carberry has indeed being relatively decent, but I'd still like to see him get a century. If he doesn't get that than the stats say he's only as good as Compton. England's best batting performances have been built around Cook and Trott getting 100s and other player's supporting them. The last time that an England 1-2-3 batsman has gotten a century was Joe Root at Lord's in the 2nd Ashes test in England.
David AGS

Post by David AGS »

Its great to have the ASHES back here now lets defend it next series! Seems everyone is back on the bandwagon which is great for the sport. Now lets make 'BOOF' Lehmann PM now thanks.

The English, not sure to be honest. Maybe they were over confident, who knows. What surprises me is the lack of form from their bowlers. Anderson looks like he;s struggling in these conditions, Broad has been good (will be a big loss if he's out for the rest of the series), Swanny, well lets not go there! (IMO Panesar bowled a lot better in Adelaide) Tremlett and Bresnan has done ok at best. Blame the batsman, but when you concede a big lead it is always difficult to come back. Sure the toss of coin (or lack of luck, whatever you call it) is a disadvantage but its not like they haven't created chances. IF only they took half of those chances could be a close series.

So IMO, Australia will be unchanged, but there could be changes for Sydney which is just 4 days after Melbourne. They might rest Harris and play Doug 'The Rug' or Nathan Coulter-Nile who is an up and coming bowler who is handy with the bat too.

For England, I think Finn will come for Broad (Injured) and Bairstow in for Prior. Finn can go for runs but normally takes wickets. Prior is out of form big time with both gloves and bat. So my 11: Cook, Carberry, Bell (at 3 now!) Pietersen, Root, Stokes, Bairstow, Bresnan, Swann, Anderson and Finn.
Miserable Thierry (Boutsen) staggers round mostly on ten cylinders (out of 12) with no clutch, low oil pressure, bad brakes and no grip to finish tenth, 3 laps down...

(Murray Walkers review of Boutsen's Brazil 1991 race).

Thats a point these days!