Forza Felipe

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
good_Ralf

Forza Felipe

Post by good_Ralf »

Felipe Massa has announced his departure from Ferrari.

2006: 3rd
2007: 4th
2008: 2nd
2009: 11th (injury)
2010: 6th
2011: 7th
2012: 7th

Some BBC videos of a few of his best races.

Massa's first win
First home win
A cruel fate
I can't believe that's still his last win
Did he deserve it, or not?
One of his better recent races
That move!

Best of luck to Massa and family
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
LellaLombardi

Re: Forza Felipe

Post by LellaLombardi »

Even though I know it's the right decision, I still feel sad for him. He seems like a really nice guy and although his form has been erratic I don't think his effort ever has been. He was absolutely robbed in 2008.
Maria De Villotta will forever be badass. Rest in Peace.
Pulling for Schumi and Jules.
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

Good for Felipe to finally see that enough is enough at Ferrari

I will remember the good years at ferrari and the great drives pre 2009- Brazil 2006,2008

However he may have stayed a year too long in the end but thats that really.
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

The question is, and a mate asked me this at work today, will he go somewhere else, and if so, where?
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Eifelland

Post by Eifelland »

Unfortunately for Felipe, it make sense for Ferrari to do this. It's a shame to think that for a few brief seconds he was a world champion, and that his form/ability was cut short in horrific circumstances, but you can't justify having a place at a top team on occasional flashes of brilliance. I'd like to think that had Fernando not been faster, and had he been allowed his moment, 365 days after his accident, it might have shown him that he still had what it took to be a top-end driver.

Would that have happened? I don't know. Raikonnen will do well during his return, I'm sure, and from Ferrari's perspective, it's a great signing. I can't help agreeing with people here, and think they should have gone for the long-ball game, but if they revive their fortunes under a Alonso-Kimi pairing, you just know they could have ANYONE (Vettel, Hamilton are you listening?) they choose when the time comes to replace their squad.
Jocke1 is my spirit animal

Forza Minardi. Forza Bianchi. Forza Rejects.
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

AndreaModa wrote:The question is, and a mate asked me this at work today, will he go somewhere else, and if so, where?

I can't see it- The only place he could go is Sauber and I think he would be reluctant to do that- I think it would be best to retire from f1 like Webber
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Felipe could be untouchable on his day but since the accident and Alonso's arrival he has been a mere shadow of the man who dominated the Turkish GP in 2006 2007 and 2008 and of course the man who was robbed of the title in 2008 when he deserved to win it. The Pirelli tires and the Fernando is Faster than You debacle have reduced him to the Barrichello role in my eyes and I always wondered why didn't Ferrari sack him after either the end of 2011 or after Spain 2012 where his DBTMOTY status was more brutally exposed than it was in Malaysia because it was in pure dry conditions?
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

AndreaModa wrote:The question is, and a mate asked me this at work today, will he go somewhere else, and if so, where?

Maybe Sauber, nowhere else though.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

FullMetalJack wrote:

Maybe Sauber, nowhere else though.

Sauber would welcome his experience considering the rumors over Sirotkin and whether he gets a Superlicence.

I predict that Kimi will rejoin Ferrari, Hulk will join Grosjean at Lotus, Either AFDC or Nasr will partner JEV at Toro Rosso and Massa will have a last year at Sauber. Also this really feels like 2007 doesn't it with the elder statesmen either moving out (Webber Massa) or only being around for a few more years (Raikkonen Alonso Button) while we have Hulk Ricciardo Grosjean and co becoming the new leaders
Eifelland

Post by Eifelland »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:Also this really feels like 2007 doesn't it with the elder statesmen either moving out (Webber Massa) or only being around for a few more years (Raikkonen Alonso Button) while we have Hulk Ricciardo Grosjean and co becoming the new leaders

That would be awesome, but is that actually happening?

Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Eifelland wrote:
Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:Also this really feels like 2007 doesn't it with the elder statesmen either moving out (Webber Massa) or only being around for a few more years (Raikkonen Alonso Button) while we have Hulk Ricciardo Grosjean and co becoming the new leaders

I bloody hope so. The order at the top has been stale for years now so we need a refreshing change
Eifelland

Post by Eifelland »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:
Eifelland wrote:

I bloody hope so. The order at the top has been stale for years now so we need a refreshing change

I love Grosjean, and it pains me to say it, but I think that Grosjean is the new Felipe. But equally loveable.

Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

I hope Massa secures a Sauber seat, at least. See him outside of ferrari, with no pressure or whatever, is going to be good.

Also, I hope Massa starts to put pressure to Alonso and starts to disobey Ferrari's team orders.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:
Eifelland wrote:

Good for you, Kimi. No one has mentioned that until now. The talent comes in what seems to be generations, and every generation has its talents show up and disappear.

I wish Felipe best of luck in the future, and hope he stays in F1 a bit longer.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
lgaquino

Post by lgaquino »

LellaLombardi wrote:He was absolutely robbed in 2008.

not really. He lost the title by his own doing
here in Malaysia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX1obxJnFrA
and also here in Australia: http://mais.uol.com.br/view/hni1j3wq59i ... 6?types=A&

His Ferrari carreer was way longer than it should've been, performance-wise. Even for a very co-operative #2, he stayed too long really.
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

Massa is a very interesting phenomenon. In the otherwise incredibly cut-throat world of F1, where even great drivers are sometimes dropped for rich, mediocre ones, this guy has managed to hold on by his fingernails in a top team for years, while performing either erratically, or just poorly, on what seems to be on nothing but virtue of his incredible likeability and sympathy concerning an awful crash. I really hope he gets a drive in a mid-field team, and we see something of the old Massa come out again, plus would be sad to lose him from the grid (as I was Schumacher in 2012).

However, I can't help but feel that perhaps the last three years wouldn't have gone quite so awry if Alonso had had a more competitive teammate to help bring down the might of Red Bull...
F1 claim to fame - Offending Karun Chandhok 38 minutes into the Korean Grand Prix's FP1.

PSN: SgtPepperThe1st
James1978

Post by James1978 »

If he does (hopefully) get a seat at another team, I hope Rob Smedley goes with him - I really cannot imagine Smedley ever being race engineer for anyone else!! :)
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
apple2009

Post by apple2009 »

James1978 wrote:If he does (hopefully) get a seat at another team, I hope Rob Smedley goes with him - I really cannot imagine Smedley ever being race engineer for anyone else!! :)

I second all of that.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Massa was one of my favorite drivers in the field (except for a few races in 2008 when he shafted Bourdais), but post-2011 it became painful to watch his efforts. He seems like one of the truly nice guys in the F1 field, and I hope Ferrari treats him well, because he did a lot for that team with little complaint.

James1978 wrote:If he does (hopefully) get a seat at another team, I hope Rob Smedley goes with him - I really cannot imagine Smedley ever being race engineer for anyone else!! :)

Somehow I feel likewise, but even if Massa goes to another series, it will be odd not to hear Smedley on the radio with him.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

Things I want to see happen by the end of the year:

1. See Webber win a race.
2. See Massa win a race.

Good luck for the future Felipe - unfortunately I don't think he'll get a chance to win another race after this year, but he's certainly been an enjoyable driver to watch.

The cynic in me is wondering if Ferrari dumped him following the incident with Alonso on Saturday, when he didn't give Fernando a tow down the straight...I hope not but I just wonder...
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

lgaquino wrote:
LellaLombardi wrote:He was absolutely robbed in 2008.

not really. He lost the title by his own doing
here in Malaysia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX1obxJnFrA
and also here in Australia: http://mais.uol.com.br/view/hni1j3wq59i ... 6?types=A&

His Ferrari carreer was way longer than it should've been, performance-wise. Even for a very co-operative #2, he stayed too long really.

He should have won at Hungary, but his engine blew. Trust me, he was robbed. While it's a shame that he leaving Ferrari, it's for the better. He just hasn't been the same since 2008. He's pretty much a shadow of his former self now, and was at Ferrari a year too long. (It's a miracle he wasn't sacked in 2012.) It's time to move on. I don't know where he'll go after that, so I wouldn't be surprised if he retires at the end of the year. I think Massa would be a modern day version of Michele Albereto. Put some brilliant drives early in his career, made it to Ferrari, put on a title challenge, but lost out due to bad luck, and never seemed to have that edge again.
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Sometimes F1 can be a bit spooky at times. In 2008 he nearly wins the title and the next year he has an accident from which his ability seems permanently affected. A shame.
Just For One Day...
James1978

Post by James1978 »

I think the worst driver for Smedley to get would actually be Kimi - Kimi would tell him just to shut up and leave him alone. :)
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

James1978 wrote:I think the worst driver for Smedley to get would actually be Kimi - Kimi would tell him just to shut up and leave him alone. :)

The mind boggles at the thought of Smedley and Kimi together!
Maria De Villotta will forever be badass. Rest in Peace.
Pulling for Schumi and Jules.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

James1978 wrote:I think the worst driver for Smedley to get would actually be Kimi - Kimi would tell him just to shut up and leave him alone. :)

I doubt Raikkonen will need quite as much guidance as Massa did.
Just For One Day...
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

AustralianStig wrote:The cynic in me is wondering if Ferrari dumped him following the incident with Alonso on Saturday, when he didn't give Fernando a tow down the straight...I hope not but I just wonder...

Or...Felipe was informed before the weekend started that he would not be with the team in 2014, and therefore screwed up the tow on purpose? :o
-*:-
mario

Post by mario »

LellaLombardi wrote:

The mind boggles at the thought of Smedley and Kimi together!

There is a suggestion that Smedley might also be leaving Ferrari too - it seems that he would prefer to continue working with Massa if possible, wherever he ends up, or perhaps even leave the sport altogether.

LellaLombardi wrote:Even though I know it's the right decision, I still feel sad for him. He seems like a really nice guy and although his form has been erratic I don't think his effort ever has been. He was absolutely robbed in 2008.

Top Gear, of all organisations, have pointed out how deep Massa's roots with Ferrari run and how strong his form was before 2009 - he has the second highest number of starts for the team (behind only Schumacher) and in terms of wins is the fourth most successful driver that the team have had.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

Wish the best luck for Massa :( . I really hope he would win another race before leaving Ferrari or maybe.... F1.
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Jocke1 wrote:Or...Felipe was informed before the weekend started that he would not be with the team in 2014, and therefore screwed up the tow on purpose? :o

Nah, if he wanted to frig things up for Alonso he wouldnt have let him pass during the race.
Just For One Day...
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Just thought......if Massa doesn't get a seat for next year and Bruno Senna doesn't make a surprise comeback, there'll be no Brazilians on the grid for the first time since when - pre-Fittipaldi? Fittipaldi then Piquet then Senna then Barrichello then Massa were always permanent fixtures.

The though of no Brazilians at one point seemed as unlikely as no Italian drivers or no French drivers!
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

I read somewhere (I think it was Sky) that it would be the first time since the 1960s since there were no Brazilians on the grid.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

James1978 wrote:Just thought......if Massa doesn't get a seat for next year and Bruno Senna doesn't make a surprise comeback, there'll be no Brazilians on the grid for the first time since when - pre-Fittipaldi? Fittipaldi then Piquet then Senna then Barrichello then Massa were always permanent fixtures.

The though of no Brazilians at one point seemed as unlikely as no Italian drivers or no French drivers!

I think since 1970, before Fittipaldi made his F1 debut at Brands Hatch. Brazil's hopes and dreams are potentially placed on the shoulders of Nasr...
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
apple2009

Post by apple2009 »

good_Ralf wrote:
James1978 wrote:Just thought......if Massa doesn't get a seat for next year and Bruno Senna doesn't make a surprise comeback, there'll be no Brazilians on the grid for the first time since when - pre-Fittipaldi? Fittipaldi then Piquet then Senna then Barrichello then Massa were always permanent fixtures.

I think since 1970, before Fittipaldi made his F1 debut at Brands Hatch. Brazil's hopes and dreams are potentially placed on the shoulders of Nasr...

Felipe Baby II
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

AustralianStig wrote:I read somewhere (I think it was Sky) that it would be the first time since the 1960s since there were no Brazilians on the grid.

This is gonna be strange.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
Guzuky

Post by Guzuky »

The only way a team would take him is for his Ferrari experience - I dont think somebody is expecting him to lead. And now that Lotus has lost two of their Aero Chief for Massa to go there may be a waste of time. I wish the best for him but I recognize that he was not champion material. That's why his 2008 mattered so much to him - he knew that was the only 'chance' to be WC
The only Formula 1 fan in Puerto Rico (reader since 2001)
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

A song for Felipe:
http://youtu.be/3S5b-vSsE2U

-*:-
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Please, please, please can Felipe win in Brazil?

Also, a Webber win in Korea to exorcise the ghosts of 2010 would be nice.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

watka wrote:Please, please, please can Felipe win in Brazil?

Sebastian Vettel says no
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

rachel1990 wrote:

Sebastian Vettel says no

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... v469YE-ovg

http://picardfacepalm.com/picard-facepalm-hotlink.jpg

I give up I give up
Last edited by Alextrax52 on 14 Sep 2013, 10:57, edited 1 time in total.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:
rachel1990 wrote:

Sebastian Vettel says no

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... v469YE-ovg

I give up I give up

Is it bad that I recognise the picture as the guy from Die Antwoord?
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy