Women in motorsport

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
CoopsII

Re: Women in motorsport

Post by CoopsII »

DanielPT wrote:From current F1 drivers, my guess also goes to Alonso. Although due to his age, Verstappen's availability would be hard to beat.

No way man. Verstappen looks weird, like his mouth is too big for his face. As far as the rookies go, well. I wouldn't kick Felipe Nasr out of bed for eating biscuits.

We made a thread weird again didn't we :oops:
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:

It's not our fault. When you have a thread called women in motorsport and, at the same time, dr-baker as member, things are bound to derail every now and then!
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

DanielPT wrote:
CoopsII wrote:

It's not our fault. When you have a thread called women in motorsport and, at the same time, dr-baker as member, things are bound to derail every now and then!

Bear in mind that dr-baker said nothing to start off all this bedroom performance chat.

Or should that be "bare in mind"? :lol:
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Well back on topic slightly, Karen Stoffer came out of retirement to win the NHRA race Sunday. Hadn't sat on a bike in 2 1/2 years, no sponsor, and running a Suzuki which is giving up nearly 100ci in displacement to the Harley's she won. That's pretty damn impressive in my book.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

If I want it rough, there's always [quote=http://www.gprejects.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6245&p=295576&hilit=minnie+mouse#p295576]Minnie Mouse[/quote]. Might sometimes want someone who is gentler and more caressing...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

dr-baker wrote:If I want it rough,..

Oh you, straight in with the Fifty Shades Of Grey approach. I'm sure Susie Wolff enjoys her special time with Toto enormously but I just picture it being a drab and mechanically teutonic experience. "Eins, zwei, drei...danke schon"
Just For One Day...
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Toto wrote:Dahlink. Vould you like tonight to go out for ein reasonably-priced dinner und haf efficient Churman sex?

Susie wrote:Gairrrrman sex? Ye're Austrian, ye wee big dobber.

Toto wrote:...er ...um ...ja. Vould you like... er... ein bowl of muesli und something to do vith mein Alpenhorn?

Susie wrote:Aye, right. Get tae.

Toto wrote:*sings melancholily, or whatever the adverb is* It is going to take ein lot to drag me avay from you...

Susie wrote:Pish!

Toto wrote:*sulks*

Susie wrote:Aw, haud yer greetin'.

I shouldn't be eating cheese at this time of night.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Toto wrote:*sings melancholily, or whatever the adverb is* It is going to take ein lot to drag me avay from you...

I see what you did there ;)
#FreeGonzo
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

At least someone does.

I'm rewatching the entire 22-series run of Top Gear at the moment and just found a Toto reference buried deep in the Africa Special that never occurred to me before...
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

dinizintheoven wrote:At least someone does.

I'm rewatching the entire 22-series run of Top Gear at the moment and just found a Toto reference buried deep in the Africa Special that never occurred to me before...

If it's leprosy-related then I'm pretty sure I know what you're on about...!
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

AndreaModa wrote:If it's leprosy-related then I'm pretty sure I know what you're on about...!

Unfortunately not! It's where Captain Slow's Merc gets massively bogged down on the Makgadikgadi salt pan and Hamster says "We need a hundred men or more!"
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

That's it everyone, show's over. Susie Wolff retires from competitive racing.

If you prefer a less balanced and more hilarious account of this latest story, try Andrew Benson's version on BBC Sport.

Now, this might be one for the unpopular opinions thread, but am I the only one who's glad this whole thing is finally over? Benson has attempted to spin his article into yet another account of her being close to a race seat when the reality is she's probably no closer to starting a race as Carmen Jorda is.

Yes she did a lot to raise the profile of women in motorsport, fair enough. But she was there for the sake of being there, and certainly not on talent (or even financial backing). I'm all for girls having a fair crack at top line racing but let's have someone who actually deserves to be there in the first place. Otherwise the whole thing ends up as one big embarrassment, which is what the situation at Williams has felt like, especially when articles such as Benson's roll around.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Susie for a few years now seemed to be the woman most likely to end up in an F1 race seat. I wouldn't be surprised now if it's at least 2020, if not 2025, before we see another woman in an FP1 session, let alone a race seat (although I wouldn't complain at being proved wrong there...). However unlikely it was that she would race, she was there in 4 FP1 sessions, she did not disgrace herself, and was an official test driver who actually did a bit of testing in an era of very restricted testing. Cannot see for the life of me where the next female F1 driver will come from. Danica Patrick, Simona de Silvestro, Katherine Legge and Carmen Jorda are all very highly unlikely for various reasons, and I can't see Beitske Visser, Michele Cerruti, or Tatiana Calderon making it any time soon.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

dr-baker wrote:Susie for a few years now seemed to be the woman most likely to end up in an F1 race seat. I wouldn't be surprised now if it's at least 2020, if not 2025, before we see another woman in an FP1 session, let alone a race seat (although I wouldn't complain at being proved wrong there...). However unlikely it was that she would race, she was there in 4 FP1 sessions, she did not disgrace herself, and was an official test driver who actually did a bit of testing in an era of very restricted testing. Cannot see for the life of me where the next female F1 driver will come from. Danica Patrick, Simona de Silvestro, Katherine Legge and Carmen Jorda are all very highly unlikely for various reasons, and I can't see Beitske Visser, Michele Cerruti, or Tatiana Calderon making it any time soon.

No, you're right Baker, and that's the sad part in all of this. But just because a good, talented girl might be some time away, it doesn't make it more acceptable in my eyes to push girls who aren't as prepared into a prominent role because of 'gender equality'. It's daft and actually a bit patronising in my mind. I'd love to see Simona get a crack at F1, even if it's just Friday practice to show what she can do. She has credentials and decent experience, enough to warrant being picked, regardless of her gender. And that's what it boils down to. Drivers should be picked on their talent and commercial opportunities regardless of gender. THAT's gender equality.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

AndreaModa, you have a decent point there, about gender equality. Over the past four academic years, I studied towards an Occupational Therapy degree. I reckon 80 to 90% of OT professionals are female. I would not have wanted any preferential treatment in that career choice because I was male, but because I would have been capable of doing the job. And I didn't fail the final placement because of sexism - my final placement educator/supervisor was male.

But basically, any driver should be there because of their own merits, regardless of gender, race, wallet size, etc.
MCard LOLA
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

dr-baker wrote:But basically, any driver should be there because of their own merits, regardless of gender, race, wallet size, etc.

Precisely! :)

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

dr-baker wrote:Susie for a few years now seemed to be the woman most likely to end up in an F1 race seat. I wouldn't be surprised now if it's at least 2020, if not 2025, before we see another woman in an FP1 session, let alone a race seat (although I wouldn't complain at being proved wrong there...). However unlikely it was that she would race, she was there in 4 FP1 sessions, she did not disgrace herself, and was an official test driver who actually did a bit of testing in an era of very restricted testing. Cannot see for the life of me where the next female F1 driver will come from. Danica Patrick, Simona de Silvestro, Katherine Legge and Carmen Jorda are all very highly unlikely for various reasons, and I can't see Beitske Visser, Michele Cerruti, or Tatiana Calderon making it any time soon.

Sophia Floersch looked extremely capable in the few MSA Formula Races supporting the BTCC that she did before money run out or she jumped to a different series (not sure which!)
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Barbazza wrote:Sophia Floersch looked extremely capable in the few MSA Formula Races supporting the BTCC that she did before money run out or she jumped to a different series (not sure which!)

But even she would still be years away from an F1 drive (particularly with the new SuperLicence points-based qualification system - no more Verstappen or Raikkonen pre-F1 careers).
MCard LOLA
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

In her 64th race, Norwegian Marit Stromoy has become the first woman to win an F1H2O race, in the Grand Prix of Sharjah earlier today. She had led a race once previously, in 2011 in Portugal but crashed out. The win is also her first podium in the sport too.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

AndreaModa wrote:In her 64th race, Norwegian Marit Stromoy has become the first woman to win an F1H2O race, in the Grand Prix of Sharjah earlier today. She had led a race once previously, in 2011 in Portugal but crashed out. The win is also her first podium in the sport too.

I always thought F1 boats ran turbines. You learn something everyday....
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Nope, ancient 2.5 litre two strokes! They keep muttering about trying out four strokes but no-one has made it successful yet. I suspect that's in part down to Mercury Marine having a monopoly on engine supply at present and thus getting quite a big say in what teams use!

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

I do hope Carmen Jorda stays with the Renault team.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Izzyeviel wrote:I do hope Carmen Jorda stays with the Renault team.

Why? Not even I can think of a good reason why she ought to stay. Has she even had the chance to get behind the wheel this year?
MCard LOLA
Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

dr-baker wrote:
Izzyeviel wrote:I do hope Carmen Jorda stays with the Renault team.

Why? Not even I can think of a good reason why she ought to stay. Has she even had the chance to get behind the wheel this year?

Eye candy :)

Anyway, we need someone to represent women drivers in F1. Although I would rather prefer if it were Simona.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Izzyeviel wrote:Eye candy :)

Anyway, we need someone to represent women drivers in F1. Although I would rather prefer if it were Simona.

No, we don't. If there are no women talented enough, none of them should be there. I mean, upper midfield drivers from GP2 are one thing, Carmen Jordá is another.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:

No, we don't. If there are no women talented enough, none of them should be there. I mean, upper midfield drivers from GP2 are one thing, Carmen Jordá is another.

You say that, but considering the amount of coverage Danica Patrick gets, it's not entirely inconceivable that that could inspire quite a few girls to follow in her footsteps. I mean, Keke Rosberg did something similar for Finnish drivers.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Salamander wrote:
UgncreativeUsergname wrote:

You say that, but considering the amount of coverage Danica Patrick gets, it's not entirely inconceivable that that could inspire quite a few girls to follow in her footsteps. I mean, Keke Rosberg did something similar for Finnish drivers.

That's fair enough, Dutch or Swedish males for example don't have a cultural thing that needs breaking. It's just that someone so far away from credentials bugs me. I'm fine with Danica Patrick given her success in IndyCar, even if it was long ago career-wise.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

Interesting article on Amati here: http://www.sniffermedia.com/blog/2013/03/09/291/

Makes you wonder if Pastor is the male version of Amati..
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Izzyeviel wrote:Interesting article on Amati here: http://www.sniffermedia.com/blog/2013/03/09/291/

You mean Pastor made love to Flavio or Bernie to get a seat? :?
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Izzyeviel wrote:Interesting article on Amati here: http://www.sniffermedia.com/blog/2013/03/09/291/

Makes you wonder if Pastor is the male version of Amati.

As I swung around, I saw Amati coming for me with a bottle of water (old school glass variety) in her hand. Let’s just put it this way, she wasn’t going to offer me a drink, not from the way she was carrying it, above her head and with a demonic look on her face!” Bennett managed to wrest the bottle from her grasp. Andrews was still completely perplexed as to what might have upset her so much. He didn’t give it a second thought. Adrenaline was still pumping; it was just a misunderstanding, right?

More like Sutil is the male version of Amati?
MCard LOLA
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Not only was she completely hopeless, she was nuts as well!

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

This wrote:

I meant being a dickhead and deliberately crash into people.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Izzyeviel wrote:
This wrote:

I meant being a dickhead and deliberately crash into people.

#FreeGonzo
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

I say if Carmen Jorda was racing in F1, it would make more harm for women.

"Look, she's four seconds off pace. That just shows women can't compete with men in F1" as most of those watching F1 don't really know her racing background.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

A woman wins a single-seater championship in style!

https://www.autosport.com/other/news/14 ... enge-title
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Adding to the previous post, Jamie Chadwick has done well in topping the first two practice sessions at Hockenheim in the W Series.

And Katherine Legge has won a Jaguar iPace eTrophy race outright and briefly led that championship. And Celia Martin has scored podiums in the ProAm category in the same series, where Alice Powell also featured as the first ever guest driver, in Saudi Arabia of all places.
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

MCard LOLA
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

dr-baker wrote:https://twitter.com/martaracing/status/1125103364004569088?s=21

That is the most Reject-Fully Adorable thing I have ever seen.
The future McLaren http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

So I have come to Brands Hatch to see the final race of the inaugural season of the W Series. Ecstatic to see a British race winner, a British championship winner, and 5 British drivers in the top 9 on the grid. Sad to see Esmee Hawkey's race fall to pieces though. She lined up on the second row of the grid, meaning she could have got herself into the top 12 of the championship, but she stalled at the start and had a drive-through penalty, ending up 16th, I believe. Happy to see Jessica Hawkins jump from 14th to 11th in the championship after her 7th place race finish, guaranteeing herself a place on next year's grid.

Defo a series I will be following again next year. And there is definitely no connection between that comment and my signature! Honest, guv'nor!
MCard LOLA
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

dr-baker wrote:So I have come to Brands Hatch to see the final race of the inaugural season of the W Series. Ecstatic to see a British race winner, a British championship winner, and 5 British drivers in the top 9 on the grid. Sad to see Esmee Hawkey's race fall to pieces though. She lined up on the second row of the grid, meaning she could have got herself into the top 12 of the championship, but she stalled at the start and had a drive-through penalty, ending up 16th, I believe. Happy to see Jessica Hawkins jump from 14th to 11th in the championship after her 7th place race finish, guaranteeing herself a place on next year's grid.

Defo a series I will be following again next year. And there is definitely no connection between that comment and my signature! Honest, guv'nor!

Mate! I was there as well. I hadn't planned to go but I ended going on sunday.
Had to insult a couple of twats that thought it was funny to make fun of Miki Koyama, who kept spinning.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.