The Quiz Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
tommykl

Re: The Quiz Thread - New quizzes by tommykl and pi314159

Post by tommykl »

I only deemed five members worthy of receiving extra points for wit or extra knowledge. I only gave these points on occasions where they didn't get the full point for being correct.

1. Ataxia - 10
2. pasta_maldonado - 9
3. Salamander - 8
4. dinizintheoven - 6
5. SuperAguri - 2
6. Miguel98 - 2

Meaning that the final standings are:

1. Simtek - 19.76/30
2. Ataxia - 14.97/30
3. SuperAguri - 12.82/30
4. pasta_maldonado - 11.08/30
5. dinizintheoven - 9.33/30
6. Phoenix - 8.82/30
7. Salamander - 8.58/30
8. pi314159 - 5.66/30
9. Miguel98 - 5.57/30
10. yannicksamlad - 3.78/30
11. peteroli34 - 3.75/30
12. AxelP800 - 1.92/30
13. dr-baker - 1.82/30
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

It's odd, I made my final score 2.82 which would become 8.82 with the bonus points. But I'm not complaining...

Actually, I was going to appeal for half a point for question 10. Was that where the difference was?
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

dinizintheoven wrote:It's odd, I made my final score 2.82 which would become 8.82 with the bonus points. But I'm not complaining...

Actually, I was going to appeal for half a point for question 10. Was that where the difference was?

Here's the points you scored:
0.33 - question 4
0.25 - question 8
0.07 - question 12
1 - question 15
0.5 - question 16
0.75 - question 21
0.42 - question 23

Total: 3.32 (counting smaller decimals, 3.33)
It might be question 16 where you got that extra half point.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

That'd explain it - I missed the bit about France starting the F2-in-F1 boom.

Still annoyed about the Eppie Wietzes in the safety car answer. I knew it sounded a bit like Masten Gregory...
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Time for another one of these massac- erm, quizzes :P

Killer Trivia Quiz: Part Quatre: Revenge of the Belgian

1. In Formula 2, David Purley once drove for a team owned by another Formula One reject. Who was this reject?
2. What was the full name of 1959 constructor Tec-Mec, founded by Maserati designer Valerio Colotti?
3. Name the four drivers to have been entered to a championship Grand Prix by Token (0,25 points per correct answer).
4. The 1967 Syracuse Grand Prix featured an unusual finish. How was it unusual, and which two drivers were involved (0,33 points per correct answer)?
5. Rejects-wise the 1967 Canadian Grand Prix is best remembered for the “break-out” performances of Al Pease and Tom Jones, qualifying 16th and 19th respectively. Which two drivers split them (0,5 points per correct answer)?
6. Which country has the record for most starts by drivers coming from it before leading a single lap?
7. Name the five drivers who have led the most laps without winning a single race (Indianapolis 500 excluded) (0,2 points per correct answer).
8. Which constructor was the only one to have gone over ten years between two consecutive points finishes on two separate occasions?
9. Which driver started his racing career under the pseudonym “Antonio Bronco”?
10. Two drivers hold the joint record for the most Grands Prix between two consecutive pole positions. Name them (0,5 points per correct answer).
11. Which driver retired from racing at the urging of his girlfriend following his involvement in two separate fatal accidents?
12. The 1965 South African Grand Prix saw the first occurrence of three separate events. Name them all (0,33 points per correct answer).
13. Of all drivers to have won a Grand Prix, which one has the highest ratio of second and third place finishes to wins?
14. Who won the first post-War South African Grand Prix?
15. Which driver, who had a competitive career in Formula One, was the only man to have won both the Monte Carlo Rally and the 24 Hours of Daytona?
16. Which driver, supported by F&S, competed simultaneously in F1, F2 and F3 as late as 1978?
17. Which constructor’s “chassis design strategy” consisted of forcefully taking up ownership of another constructor’s existing car, and who was the unlucky constructor concerned (0,5 points per correct answer)?
18. Which constructor’s only Formula One chassis was named the “Fly”, who drove it in its only Grand Prix appearance, and when and where was this only Grand Prix (0,25 points per correct answer)?
19. Which reject with a brief career occasionally moonlighted as a male model?
20. Which Canadian Formula A driver’s F1 career was limited to appearances at his home race for Lotus and BRM?
21. Which team once planned to run a monster six full-time cars simultaneously over the length of the season, in which year was this to have taken place, and who were the planned six drivers (0,125 points per correct answer)?
22. Name the ten different drivers who competed for Frank Williams over the 1975 season (0,1 points per correct answer).
23. Which driver, better known for his IndyCar career, was the 500th driver to start an F1 Grand Prix?
24. Which one-race reject was, later in life, an engineer for Eric van de Poele?
25. Which driver has the record for the best performance in qualifying without ever making a race start, and where did he qualify (0,5 points per correct answer)?
26. What were the unusual circumstances behind the Formula One début of Ricardo Zunino?
27. Which driver-turned-pundit only had a single Formula One entry in which he outpaced his team mate by three whole seconds in qualifying?
28. Which single-race reject who took pride in having never once crashed in a competitive race was covered in controversy early in his career, losing a Formula Junior title for using an oversized engine?
29. Who held the record for the most career podiums between 1981 and 1984?
30. Which experienced Formula Three stalwart was the oldest F1 débutant between George Follmer and Toshio Suzuki, described his first F1 test as being “much easier than Formula Three” and took an F1 drive despite being advised not to by the car’s previous driver?

Once again, answers are sent via PM (the little envelope under my username).

Please refrain from using Google, Wikipedia, 8W or other sources before sending your answers. It's not fun otherwise :P

tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Standings
1. Simtek - 11,225/30
2. SuperAguri - 9,87/30
3. W12 - 8,47/30
4. Biscione - 8,12/30
5. Miguel98 - 5,475/30
6. kevinbotz - 4,45
7. Ataxia - 4,125/30
8. WaffleCat - 3,78/30
9. AxelP800 - 3,458/30
10. yannicksamlad - 3,25/30
11. peteroli34 - 3,192/30
12. Salamander - 2,58/30
13. Dartanian - 1,03/30
14. UgncreativeUsergname - 0,87/30
15. Aerond - 0,4/30

As a clarification, I should add that question 12 implies that it not related to any débuts. I am talking circumstances, format, overall results, etc.

Also, a slight correction to question 30: I am not counting drivers with a single entry. Therefore, I am not looking for Kunimitsu Takahashi (who was indeed older than the man I'm looking for), who didn't take part in Formula Three or take a much-despised drive anyway :P

David AGS

Post by David AGS »

Seasons greetings all!

Going to throw my hat into the ring, and do a Minardi quiz for you lot.

Id say most of you will get them correct, but here goes!

1. What engine did Minardi originally design its chassis around for their debut season in 1985? (1 point)

2. Name 2 of the teams sponsors from that 1985 season (Not accepting technical or suppliers like Pirelli etc. or Marlboro which most teams had) (1 point each)

3. Who was the teams major sponsor in 1987? (1 point each)

4.Who designed the teams 1989 chassis? (Hint: English designer) (2 points!)

5. In that 1989 season, where did Pierluigi Martini qualify in Australia? (1 point)

6. For 1991, Minardi signed an engine deal with Ferrari. What season where these engines originally from? (1 point)

7. How many drivers drove for Minardi in 1991? (0.5 point for each correct answer)

8. How many drivers drove for Minardi in 1993? (0.5 point for each correct answer)

9. Apart from Pedro Lamy's point in Australia, what was the next best finishing position of the 1995 season? And where? (1 point each for correct answer, 1 point extra for correct circuit!)

10. What particular penalties effected Esteben Tuero's debut race in Australia 1998? (1 point)

11. Where did Marc Gene qualify in Germany 1999? (1.5 points)

12. What was the teams best finish in 2001? And where? (1 point each for correct answer, 1 point extra for correct circuit!)

13. Which Australian based company sponsored the team in 2002? (2 points)

14. Which sponsor backed the team from the European Grand Prix onwards? (1.5 points)

15. Apart from Wilux and the sponsor from question 14, name two other sponsors? (1 point each correct answer)

16. Name the three drivers who recorded just the one start with the Minardi team? (1 point each correct answer)

17. Which driver done a single Friday outing with the team in 2003? (2 points)

18. What 'revolutionary' new chassis concept was first introduced to F1 by Minardi in 2002? (1 point)

19. Which two drivers raced for Minardi Team USA in Champcar? (1 point each correct answer)

20. Out of the 21 years in Formula 1, name the seasons the team used Ford/Cosworth engines? ('Fondmetal' and 'European' are included) 0.5 each correct answer!

Good Luck!

Point system entirely made up
Miserable Thierry (Boutsen) staggers round mostly on ten cylinders (out of 12) with no clutch, low oil pressure, bad brakes and no grip to finish tenth, 3 laps down...

(Murray Walkers review of Boutsen's Brazil 1991 race).

Thats a point these days!
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Autosport has inspired me...

Things You Probably Should Remember About This F1 Season, I Mean Geez
1. How long was Rosberg's longest win streak?
2. How many were classified in the Australian GP?
3. Who finished, but wasn't classified?
4. On what lap did Ricciardo pass Alonso to win the Hungarian GP?
5. Where were Massa's three podiums this year? (1/3 points each)
6. Which two races had Hamilton, Rosberg, and Ricciardo on the podium in that order? (1/2 points each)
7. What race ended Nico Hülkenberg's streak of points in every race?
8. Where did Bottas' run of points every race end?
9. What was Marussia's best race, besides Monaco?
10. At what two races did Sauber come within one position of scoring points? (1/2 points each)
11. Where did Lotus get points? (1/3 points each)
12. What were Lotterer and Stevens' numbers? (or Caterham's backup numbers) (1/2 points each)
13. Besides Hamilton and Rosberg, who had the most finishes representative of their final championship placing? (e.g. 3rd overall finishing 3rd in a race)
14. Who were Lotus' practice-only drivers? (1/2 points each)
15. Besides the non-scorers, which three pairs of drivers were tied on points at the end? (1/3 points for each pair)
16. Why did Lotterer decline to race for Caterham at Monza?
17. You remember Pérez and Massa's crash at Canada, but who else was classified without finishing?
18. Which race had the most retirements? (NC, DSQ, classified non-finish, and DNS not included)
19. There was a run of four races where neither Mercedes driver took fastest lap. Where did it start and end?
20. Besides Lotterer, three drivers finished all their races but one. Who? (1/3 points each)
21. Who was penalised with a pit lane start and 10-second stop-go at the German Grand Prix?
22. There were three DNSes this season. Who and where? (One whole point for each correct pair)
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
David AGS

Post by David AGS »

David AGS wrote:Seasons greetings all!

Going to throw my hat into the ring, and do a Minardi quiz for you lot.

Id say most of you will get them correct, but here goes!

1. What engine did Minardi originally design its chassis around for their debut season in 1985? (1 point)

2. Name 2 of the teams sponsors from that 1985 season (Not accepting technical or suppliers like Pirelli etc. or Marlboro which most teams had) (1 point each)

5. In that 1989 season, where did Pierluigi Martini qualify in Australia? (1 point)

6. For 1991, Minardi signed an engine deal with Ferrari. What season where these engines originally from? (1 point)

7. How many drivers drove for Minardi in 1991? (0.5 point for each correct answer)

8. How many drivers drove for Minardi in 1993? (0.5 point for each correct answer)

9. Apart from Pedro Lamy's point in Australia, what was the next best finishing position of the 1995 season? And where? (1 point each for correct answer, 1 point extra for correct circuit!)

10. What particular penalties effected Esteben Tuero's debut race in Australia 1998? (1 point)

12. What was the teams best finish in 2001? And where? (1 point each for correct answer, 1 point extra for correct circuit!)

14. Which sponsor backed the team from the European Grand Prix onwards? (1.5 points)

15. Apart from Wilux and the sponsor from question 14, name two other sponsors? (1 point each correct answer)

16. Name the three drivers who recorded just the one start with the Minardi team? (1 point each correct answer)

18. What 'revolutionary' new chassis concept was first introduced to F1 by Minardi in 2002? (1 point)

19. Which two drivers raced for Minardi Team USA in Champcar? (1 point each correct answer)

20. Out of the 21 years in Formula 1, name the seasons the team used Ford/Cosworth engines? ('Fondmetal' and 'European' are included) 0.5 each correct answer!

Good Luck!

Point system entirely made up

Answers will be revealed in next day or two...
Miserable Thierry (Boutsen) staggers round mostly on ten cylinders (out of 12) with no clutch, low oil pressure, bad brakes and no grip to finish tenth, 3 laps down...

UncreativeUsername37

Re: The Quiz Thread - Three new quizzes

Well, this is awkward... 18:00 my time is when I was going to mention my quiz again....

The scores so far (in misses):
good_Ralf: 2
Simtek: 4 2/3
tommykl: 9 2/3 (yes, really)
Rob Dylan: 12

I'll give it another twenty-four hours, then the answers will be revealed.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
UncreativeUsername37

1. How long was Rosberg's longest win streak?
1 race, or he didn't have a streak at all. There was a period of five races where he alternated between winning and not winning.

2. How many were classified in the Australian GP?

3. Who finished, but wasn't classified?
Jules Bianchi, 8 laps down.

4. On what lap did Ricciardo pass Alonso to win the Hungarian GP?
Lap 68.

5. Where were Massa's three podiums this year? (1/3 points each)
Italy, Brazil, and Abu Dhabi.

6. Which two races had Hamilton, Rosberg, and Ricciardo on the podium in that order? (1/2 points each)
Spain and the United States.

7. What race ended Nico Hülkenberg's streak of points in every race?
Hungary. It was a teammate collision too!

8. Where did Bottas' run of points every race end?
Monaco, with an engine failure. Remember it now? I'm sure you do.

9. What was Marussia's best race, besides Monaco?
Australia would've been too easy. It was Bahrain, with 13th and 16th.

10. At what two races did Sauber come within one position of scoring points? (1/2 points each)
Australia and Hungary. Australia due to attrition, and at Hungary Sutil split the McLarens.

11. Where did Lotus get points? (1/3 points each)
Spain, Monaco, and the United States. I don't think anyone got this wrong.

12. What were Lotterer and Stevens' numbers? (or Caterham's backup numbers) (1/2 points each)
45 and 46.

13. Besides Hamilton and Rosberg, who had the most finishes representative of their final championship placing? (e.g. 3rd overall finishing 3rd in a race)
Fernando Alonso finished 6th overall and got 6th six times. And three of the 6ths were in a row. And Alonso wants to control whatever team he's in. And Ferraris are red. I'm not saying it's true, just stating facts.

14. Who were Lotus' practice-only drivers? (1/2 points each)
Charles Pic and Esteban Ocon.

15. Besides the non-scorers, which three pairs of drivers were tied on points at the end? (1/3 points for each pair)
Magnussen and Räikkönen, Grosjean and Kvyat, and Maldonado and Bianchi, with 55, 8, and 2. Magnussen and Räikkönen was only because of double points, so you can blame that if you didn't get it.

16. Why did Lotterer decline to race for Caterham at Monza?
He wanted to run in every session, but Caterham wouldn't budge on giving Roberto Merhi practice time in his seat.

17. You remember Pérez and Massa's crash at Canada, but who else was classified without finishing?
Esteban Gutiérrez; "Energy storage system", says the F1 website.

18. Which race had the most retirements? (NC, DSQ, classified non-finish, and DNS not included)
Canada had eight. So that's eleven finishers!

19. There was a run of four races where neither Mercedes driver took fastest lap. Where did it start and end?
Spain and Austria. They still 1-2ed everywhere, except of course Canada.

20. Besides Lotterer, three drivers finished all their races but one. Who? (1/3 points each)
Bottas, Magnussen, and Räikkönen. Räikkönen = Chilton?

21. Who was penalised with a pit lane start and 10-second stop-go at the German Grand Prix?
Marcus Ericsson, for a parc fermé breach.

22. There were three DNSes this season. Who and where? (One whole point for each correct pair)
Pérez at Malaysia, Maldonado at Monaco, and Kobayashi at Singapore.

The scores
good_Ralf: 2
Simtek: 4 4/6
tommykl: 9 4/6
Rob Dylan: 12
AxelP800: 15 1/6

good_Ralf didn't even attempt to answer 15 and 16, so everything he tried he got.
SuperAguri
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by SuperAguri »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:Autosport has inspired me...

You know, you should maybe give the quiz at least a week or two before giving the answers. Not all of us can do the quiz in a day...
<@Ataxia> these people are making a mess of their crepe suzettes
UncreativeUsername37

SuperAguri wrote:
UgncreativeUsergname wrote:Autosport has inspired me...

You know, you should maybe give the quiz at least a week or two before giving the answers. Not all of us can do the quiz in a day...

I think maybe a rule like the track competition would be good, where you would wait for some period of time where no one answers... I'll think about that.
David AGS

Post by David AGS »

David AGS wrote:
David AGS wrote:Seasons greetings all!

Answers:

Before I reveal, I made two errors in question 18 and 19. For 18 the year was meant to be the 2000 season (not 2002). For Q19, there were more than 2 drivers at Minardi Team USA. To ensure fairness, no points for Q18, and a point for every Champ Car driver names. Apologies.

Most of you got this one, it was Alfa Romeo

A few to chose from, Ceramiche Montreal, SIMOD, RESTA, Resoldor, Gilmor, Kidland etc

Lois. Brought in by Adrian Campos

Little tricky, it was Nigel Cowperthwaite

3rd. If the race was dry, could of potentially won the race. Tyres suited track really well and was fastest in Sunday warm-up before the rains fell!

Difficult one, team were a bit 'ripped off' as they originally received outdated 1989 spec V-12s, until getting an 'upgrade' to 1990 spec.

3. Martini, Morbidelli, Moreno

Tricky one here! 4. Fittipaldi, Martini, Barbazza and the forgotten Jean Marc Gounon (replaced Martini later in the season)

Another tricky one here, Martini would finish 7th in Monaco and at the British Grand Prix, just behind the Sauber of Frentzen on both occasions

Surprised only a few got this correct, Tuero received a double penalty. He jumped the start, so got a penalty for that (10 secs) and another for pit lane speeding serving the jump start penalty!

A superb 15th! Considering grids were 22 at that time, 15th with an outdated engine was brilliant result.

Marques would record the teams best position of 9th in Brazil and Canada.

A very tricky question here. HEALTHY was the Australian based company. Logo on front wing plates. TBH know very little about company, not sure if still around (Not Fosters as several answered!)

Pretty easy, Quadriga (at that time). Now known as Superfund.

Slight error here, should have been sponsor from 2004 season, but gave all answers a point!

Stefane Sarazzin (BRZ 1999), Roberto Moreno (AUS, 1991), and Alessandro Zanardi (I think German GP 1992) replaced the injured Fittipaldi

Matteo Bobbi!

No answers

Robert Doornbos, Dan Clarke, Mario Dominquez, Nelson Phillipe

David AGS

Post by David AGS »

Final standings of the Minardi quiz championship:

1. Simtek 31.5

2. Bleu 29

3. W12 27.5

4. Ataxia 25

5. Super Aguri 17.5

Thanks, apologies for the stuff up in the questions, and will attempt to do another one soon! (That is a quiz..)

Happy New Year to all!

mario

Post by mario »

David AGS wrote:1. What engine did Minardi originally design its chassis around for their debut season in 1985? (1 point)

I have a bit of a quibble about this particular question. I know that the Minardi M184 was developed around the Alfa Romeo V8 turbo engine, but I thought that the M184 was supposed to have been introduced at the tail end of the 1984 season (I've seen the 1984 Italian GP mentioned as the race the car was supposed to have been introduced in), not 1985?
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

mario wrote:
David AGS wrote:1. What engine did Minardi originally design its chassis around for their debut season in 1985? (1 point)

I have a bit of a quibble about this particular question. I know that the Minardi M184 was developed around the Alfa Romeo V8 turbo engine, but I thought that the M184 was supposed to have been introduced at the tail end of the 1984 season (I've seen the 1984 Italian GP mentioned as the race the car was supposed to have been introduced in), not 1985?

I had no idea Alfa Romeo were even slightly involved...I thought the answer was Motori Moderni (it's not wrong...).
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
SuperAguri
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by SuperAguri »

That is the number of seasons and not the seasons...

I believe the seasons were

85 - Ford Cosworth DFY (2 races as the Motori Moderni engine was not ready)
88 - Ford Cosworth DFZ
89 - 90 - Ford Cosworth DFR
93 - 94 - Ford Cosworth HB
95 - Ford Cosworth EDM
96 - Ford Cosworth ED
98 - Ford Cosworth JD Zetec-R
99 - 01 - Ford Cosworth VJM Zetec-R (00 - Rebadged as Fondmetal RV-10 and 01 rebadged as European 3.0 V10)
03 - Cosworth CR-3
04 - Cosworth CR-3L
05 - Cosworth CR-3L / Cosworth TJ2005
UncreativeUsername37

Single-entry drivers
1. Why couldn't Alfredo Piàn start the 1950 Monaco GP?
2. Why couldn't Ken Richardson start the 1951 Italian GP?
3. What championship race did Aldo Gordini compete in?
4. What non-championship race did Aldo Gordini compete in?
5. He finished second.
6. Why did John James retire from the 1951 British GP?
7. The other first Spaniard in F1.
8. How many seconds was Robert O'Brien off being second-to-last?
9. In the 1952 Dutch GP, how many laps down did Dries van der Lof finish?
10. Where did Jan Flinterman finish?
11. Why didn't Piero Dusio qualify for the 1952 Italian GP?
12. He had a shared drive with Alberto Uria.
13. Colin Chapman DNSed at which race?
14. He was the only F1 driver to ever compete for Morocco.
15. Two South Americans entered the 1959 French GP. Who wasn't Fritz d'Orey?
16. How many single-entry drivers were there at the 1960 Argentine GP?
17. Who couldn't compete in the 1962 South African GP due to dying in an earlier race?
18. What race did Brian Hart compete in?
19. What country is Bertil Roos from?
20. Where did Jo Vonlanthen place in qualifying in his GP? Helpful hint: he raced.
21. He didn't really set fastest lap.
22. The P34's glorious 1-2—but what concerns us?
23. What is Gimax's real name?
24. What team did Marco Apicella drive for?
25. Where did Stéphane Sarrazin qualify in his GP?
26. How many laps did Markus Winkelhock lead?
27. Oscar Alfredo Gálvez competed in which Argentine GP?
28. Jackie Stewart's brother.
29. Competed in the same race as Jackie Stewart's brother and surnamed Stewart, but no relation.
30. He logged 0 miles in F1 sessions. Get it? Miles?

You have one week to submit answers.
mario

Post by mario »

Ataxia wrote:
mario wrote:

I had no idea Alfa Romeo were even slightly involved...I thought the answer was Motori Moderni (it's not wrong...).

My understanding of the situation is as follows. To begin with, Minardi developed the M184 around the Alfa Romeo 890T V8 turbo engine, with an initial suggestion that the M184 would take part in the closing few races of the 1984 season whilst the M185 was being prepared (which is along the lines of what AGS did in 1986).

To that end, Minardi clocked up a fair bit of mileage on the M184 (around 2,000km) around July 1984, only for Alfa Romeo to then back out of the deal (Alfa Romeo had already effectively outsourced their F1 team to Euroracing by 1984 and wanted to reduce, rather than increase, their involvement in F1), leaving Minardi without an engine supply.
It is at that point that Minardi turned to Motori Moderni and brokered a deal to run their V6 engines for 1985, but supply issues would mean that they could not run Motori Moderni's turbo engine immediately. Minardi therefore adapted the M185 to use a Cosworth DFY (the short stroke evolution of the DFV) for the first two races whilst the turbo engine was under development.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
David AGS

Post by David AGS »

Clearly I need a bit of work though. Defo have a DNQ to my name!

I was not aware that Minardi actually tested and ran the Alfa Romeo, but there goes. What I have read that a contract was signed and chassis was designed.

On that, Ive got an old book 'A-Z of Formula Racing cars from 1945-1990', by David Hodges. Despite its age, (the most recent car is from 1990) its pretty cool, features all teams cars from lower formulas.

The Minardi M185 bit goes on the lines this: The car was completed in July 1984 but not raced until the next season. Caliri (Minardi's then tech director) moved in house to focus on development, but the car was very similar to the 283 (Minardi's F2 car). The chassis was laid out with several engines in mind, which initially was the Alfa Romeo V-8, until they disposed of (Carlo) Chiti. He would set up Motori Moderni. Gianpiero Mancini (Minardi's business partner) also had an interest in M.Moderni, and that engine was selected. Chassis was designed very quickly (to suit engine) but for the first two raced Cosworth engines were used.

After that chassis bit it just talks about results and how it continued until the end of 1986.

mario

Post by mario »

David AGS wrote:Clearly I need a bit of work though. Defo have a DNQ to my name!

I was not aware that Minardi actually tested and ran the Alfa Romeo, but there goes. What I have read that a contract was signed and chassis was designed.

On that, Ive got an old book 'A-Z of Formula Racing cars from 1945-1990', by David Hodges. Despite its age, (the most recent car is from 1990) its pretty cool, features all teams cars from lower formulas.

The Minardi M185 bit goes on the lines this: The car was completed in July 1984 but not raced until the next season. Caliri (Minardi's then tech director) moved in house to focus on development, but the car was very similar to the 283 (Minardi's F2 car). The chassis was laid out with several engines in mind, which initially was the Alfa Romeo V-8, until they disposed of (Carlo) Chiti. He would set up Motori Moderni. Gianpiero Mancini (Minardi's business partner) also had an interest in M.Moderni, and that engine was selected. Chassis was designed very quickly (to suit engine) but for the first two raced Cosworth engines were used.

After that chassis bit it just talks about results and how it continued until the end of 1986.

The version that I have seen stated that the car was tested in July 1984 by Alessandro Nannini, who was driving for Minardi's Formula 2 team at the time. Unfortunately I cannot upload the image, but I have come across a picture showing the M184 in action, and the car certainly appears to have been designed around the regulations for 1984 rather than 1985 (the rear wing features the additional winglets that were only permitted for 1984 due to a gap in the regulations).
David AGS

Post by David AGS »

No worries Mario.

I know you know your info!

andrew

Post by andrew »

Andrew's quiz of the modern era (mostly)

1. During the 2007 European gp many cars slid into the gravel when it rained, can you name them all? (0.5 points per correct answer)
2. The 2006 gp2 race 2 at Turkey is known for Hamilton's charge through the field, who won the race?
3.who won the first ever GP2 race?
4. During the 2010 Abu Dhabi gp Alosno was stuck behind Petrov, who was Massa stuck behind?
5. Which over drivers would Alonso had needed to overtake at the end to win the tile (0.5 points per driver)
6. During the 2012 Brazilan gp Vettel crashed with Senna eliminating Senna from the race, which other driver retired in this incident?
7. Who took the lead at the end of the Kemmel straight on the end of lap 1 during the 2011 Belgian gp?
8. What caused the 2008 BTCC race a croft to be red flagged?
9. Vettel won his first race in Monza, who came second?
10. Who was Jason Platos first BTCC teamate
11: at the 1998 belgian gp driver plowed into the crash at the end?
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

UgncreativeUsergname's so hard :?
Andrew's one, well quite tricky but easy :P
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Killer Trivia Quiz: Part Quatre: Revenge of the Belgian - The answers

1. In Formula 2, David Purley once drove for a team owned by another Formula One reject. Who was this reject?
No clue.

A driver who scored less than 3 points in F1 :P. No idea.

Purley David, his archi-unknown-enemy-secret-lover.

He drove for a team owned by a gentleman named Alec "Lec" Refrigeration. He was a pretty cool guy.

Coloni

Bernie Ecclestone

John Barber?

Johnny Claes

Well, this is off to a great start. I'll just randomly guess Harald Ertl

Brian Henton

I am going to look towards Japan as they had a big F2 scene and hazard a guess that it might be Kuwashima

The team owner was Japanese IIRC, so I'm gonna answer... Masami Kuwashima!

Masami (sp?) Kuwashima

Masami Kuwashima

Quite a tough one to start with, but it seemed that a few people did indeed know the answer! It was Masami Kuwashima, known for his single practice session in Japan 1976. The race in question was in Hockenheim in 1975.

2. What was the full name of 1959 constructor Tec-Mec, founded by Maserati designer Valerio Colotti?
kekmek?lolwut?

I think FMecha would like to think it was named after him...

Claes Technology

Tex-Mex cuisine? Dunno.

Colotti Racing

Technical Something or other

Technology Meci

Tecnological Mechanical Engineering

No idea, Technical Mechanical?

Technical-Mechanical.

Technico Mechanico.

Erm... Tecnica Mecanica? :P

Tecnologia Mecanico de Colotti

I don't know, so I'll have to guess what it means based on what Italian I know...Tecnica Meccanica?

Studio Tecnica Meccanica. How Italian.

Well, not much to say here. It was Studio Tecnica Meccanica. I gave half a point for anything like "Technical - Mechanical", because why the hell not?

3. Name the four drivers to have been entered to a championship Grand Prix by Token (0,25 points per correct answer).
Tow-Ken 1, Tow-Ken 2, Street Fighter Ken, and Kenny Roberts Jr.

Johnny Claes, Harald Ertl, Vincenzo Sospiri, Alex Caffi

Chris Amon; Huub Rothengatter; Mauricio Guglemin; Mark Donohue

Tony Trimmer, forgot, forgot, forgot

I should remember this, but I don't. So I'll randomly guess Chris Amon, Jean-Pierre Jarier, Harald Ertl, and... Mike Thackwell. I'll be amazed if any of those are right.

Not entirely sure, but I think Tom Pryce was one of them. Have no idea about the other three.

I seem to remember Tom Pryce was one...no idea about the others

I remember David Purley, but I can't remember any others.

Tom Pryce, Chris Amon , ...

Tom Pryce, David Purley, dunno, dunno

Tom Pryce, David Purley, No Idea, No Idea.

The above David Purley, Tom Pryce, Tony Trimmer., Mike Wilds?

Tom Pryce, David Purley, Ian Ashley

Tom Pryce made his debut for them. David Purley also drove the car. As for the other two, I'll guess Ian Ashley and Mike Wilds.

Tom Pryce seemed like an easy answer, and most of you found him. David Purley was fairly well guessed too, and two of you found Ian Ashley. However, the final one does not show up on Wikipedia, but on StatsF1, which claims that Jacques Laffite was entered in the French Grand Prix for Token. The deal apparently fell through.

4. The 1967 Syracuse Grand Prix featured an unusual finish. How was it unusual, and which two drivers were involved (0,33 points per correct answer)?
No bells rung.

Did the Spartans return?

I guess it was about two Italians fighting for a plate of Spaghetti.

The finish was unusual because one driver felt his honour was impugned by the other's rather ungentlemanly conduct in taking the lead on the penultimate lap of the Grand Prix, and thus challenged him to a duel. The drivers were Jeff Smith and Lord Elsington Hallstingdingdingworth.

It finished a lap early, Graham Hill , Denny Hulme

Someone crashed into each other?

Last two cars running crashed into each other? One of them must be a Ferrari seeing as it's a race in Italy, so let's guess...Amon and Scarfiotti.

pretty sure It ended in a dead heat

Guessing on a dead heat for the lead, as that has not happened in any other F1 Race. Don't know the drivers though, but probably two Italians.

The finish was dead heat, so 1-2 is awarded co-winner. Who was involved? Lorenzo Bandini, and.......................................... Fangio

Denny Hulme; Bruce McLaren - The two drivers finished at the same time.

It was a complete dead heat, however it was a non championship event so I cant remember the drivers. Amon, Hobbs

Two Ferraris (can't remember the drivers) finished between 0.00 seconds of each other.

Ferrari staged a dead heat, which was reasonably possible back then since the timing was only to one decimal digit. It featured Turbogirl and Ludovico Scarfiotti.

Ah, a successful dead heat involving two Ferrari drivers, and this one wasn't so controversial. That was Parkes and Scarfiotti if memory serves.

Indeed, it was the only recorded dead heat in Formula One history, between Ferrari teammates and sportscar heroes Ludovico Scarfiotti and Mike Parkes. Whether or not this dead heat was staged is another story...

5. Rejects-wise the 1967 Canadian Grand Prix is best remembered for the “break-out” performances of Al Pease and Tom Jones, qualifying 16th and 19th respectively. Which two drivers split them (0,5 points per correct answer)?
mmmh, no idea, but sure they were rejects? yeah, they have to be.

Al Pease qualified faster than other drivers??? They probably left those grid slots empty to make Pease feel better about himself.

Two canadians guys?

The raging feud between Smith and Hallstingdingdingworth continued into the Canadian GP with Smith qualifying 17th and Hallstingdingdingworth right alongside in 18th. This is despite the fact that, knowing my knowledge of this time period, it was probably before the Syracuse GP, but let's not let that get in the way of a crappy made-up story specifically created to make up for the fact that I have absolutely no clue at all about any question on this quiz.

Vague recollections about this one. Jochen Rindt was the name that stood out, but can't remember the other two.

Graham Hill, Chris Amon

Graham Hill, Al Unser

Bonnier, Hobbs?

Ludovico Scarfiotti, Jean-Pierre Beltoise

Mike Spence and Jo Bonnier?

John Surtees; Bob Anderson.

Was Eppie Wietzes one?

Another Canadian reject, Wietzes and... I don't know, Bonnier?

The drivers in question were not as high-profile as some of you guessed. Two of you correctly remembered Eppie Wietzes as one of them, but the other was possibly as obscure, anonymous and American as Tom Jones: Mike Fisher.

6. Which country has the record for most starts by drivers coming from it before leading a single lap?
France?

France

Lelgium by any chance?

I've got about five different guesses in my head right now! Belgium?

Germany

Germany

UK

Netherlands

I think Spain seems like an actually fairly legitimate guess here, so, I'll answer seriously for this one and probably never again. Not that it'll be right or anything, that'd be far too daring.

I'll take a wild guess at this one. Japan.

Japan, with them not leading laps until Sato at least, or maybe even up until Kobayashi, but Sato probably led a few laps here and there.

Japan?

Japan?

Japan

Japan

The Netherlands and Spain were good shouts, but the answer was indeed Japan, which endured years of Nakajima, Suzuki, Katayama, Nakano and Takagi before Takuma Sato came along.

7. Name the five drivers who have led the most laps without winning a single race (Indianapolis 500 excluded) (0,2 points per correct answer).
Chris Amon

Chris Amon; Nick Heidfeld; Martin Brundle; Elio de Angelis; Louis Rosier

Nick Heidfeld, Chris Amon, Derek Warwick and I have no idea who are the other two

Amon, Johansson, Heidfeld, Cheever, Villoresi?

Martin Brundle, Chris Amon, Jean-Pierre Beltoise, Nick Heidfeld, Derek Warwick

Nick Heidfeld, Derek Warwick, Chris Amon, I'm just making plug up

Heidfeld, de Cesaris, Bottas, Amon and Johansson

De Cesaris, Amon, JP Jarier

Chris Amon and Nico Hülkenberg. No idea about the others.

Chris Amon, Martin Brundle...I wanna say Nico Hulkenberg too because, let's be honest, he should have won a million races by now...no idea about the others

let's get serious with this one... Chris Amon, Nico Hulkenberg, Markus Winkelhock, and surely a couple of 50s, 60s, 70s stooges I don't know about.

Chris Amon, Nick Heidfeld, Stefan Johansson, Nico Hulkenberg, and... Sergio Perez? I'd include Martin Brundle, but I'm fairly certain he never actually got to lead a GP.

Thinking of drivers that had led but not won a race... Amon, Jarier, De Cesaris, Capelli, Grosjean.

Chris Amon's probably one of them, the poor bastard. I'll finish off with Jean Behra, Ivan Capelli, Romain Grosjean and Nico Hulkenberg.

Chris Amon's number one, of that I'm sure. Jean Behra was a great driver who often had a good car but didn't win so he's probably up there. Ivan Capelli is probably there as well for that injustice that happened at France 1990. Also speaking of injustice, Hulkenberg is probably up there as well for Interlagos 2013. Grosjean's also led quite a few laps when Lotus weren't hopeless so he will be my fifth choice.

Chris Amon was the obvious choice, and everyone found him. I didn't expect Nico Hülkenberg to be found as much, but he is indeed another answer. The other three were Jean Behra, Jean-Pierre Jarier and Ivan Capelli. Heidfeld did not quite lead as many laps, nor did Grosjean, de Cesaris, Johansson or Pérez. Martin Brundle never led a single lap.

8. Which constructor was the only one to have gone over ten years between two consecutive points finishes on two separate occasions?
No idea.

wut

...probably Alfa Romeo.

Theodore?

Osella?

Minardi

This sounds like something that would happen to a team that withdrew from the sport and then came back. If that's the case then Mercedes is the first team that springs to mind.

Tyrrell

March ( can't be right though)

March

I should probably be able to get this one, but I'm having trouble thinking of a constructor which could feasibly do that. I'll just guess Brabham.

A really crap team. But, in all seriousness, probably LOLa. They had their Honda, Embassy Hill and Haas stints in F1, which was probably where they scored points. Of course, they tried to make it three separate occasions with MasterCard, but we know how that went.

It must be Lola, surely? They've been in and out of F1 quite a bit...

I would guess Lola. Given their stop start life in F1

It was indeed a constructor with a long life span but long amounts of time away from F1, and it was indeed Lola. They scored points when entered by Reg Parnell as Bowmaker-Yeoman in 1962, then by Embassy-Hill in 1974 and Beatrice-Haas in 1986 (then later for Larrousse). Had the Hondas in 1967 and 1968 counted, they would not have this distinction, but those cars were officially called Hondas, and not Lolas.

9. Which driver started his racing career under the pseudonym “Antonio Bronco”?
Again, no clue.

Ah yes, the famed exploits of the fourteenth Duke of Dellsborough in Northern Newhamptonshire, Lord Elsington Hallstingdingdingworth, began as the humble Antonio Bronco. This ruse continued as long as Lord Hallstingdingdingworth pretended to be mute, which inevitably ended as soon as his eternal rival Jeff Smith accidentally-on-purpose ran over his foot, causing the Lord to yell out in pain which instantly revealed himself as a proper English gentleman.

Antonio Bizarri :P

An Italian cowboy. But I dunno in reality. So how about Gerino Gerini, since that was the last obscure Italian F1 Driver I remember.

Antonio Ascari

Pedro Diniz :p

Ludovico Scarfiotti

Vittorio Brambilla

...Mario Andretti? It's a bit of a lame pseudonym if you ask me

Sounds like Toni Branca. :P

I am pretty sure it is Ricky Van Opel?

Rikky von Opel

Rikky von Opel

Rikky von Opel.

Toni Branca (born Antonio Branca) would have been far too easy. Instead, it was Liechtensteiner Rikky von Opel, who used the name early in his career career to avoid accusations of nepotism.

10. Two drivers hold the joint record for the most Grands Prix between two consecutive pole positions. Name them (0,5 points per correct answer).
No idea:P

Alain Prost? Probably not. I'll also randomly guess.... Graham Hill.

Nigel Mansell? Eh, screw it, I'll go with Alonso for the second choice, why not?

Fernando Alonso and Nigel Mansell

Massa, Berger

Nick Heidfeld and Riccardo Patrese

Ricardo Patrese; Rubens Barrichello

Niki Lauda, John Watson

Does Schumacher's grid penalty at Monaco 2012 count? Because that was around a six year gap from the last one...

Reutemann and Mario Andretti, but truthfully I'm just listing names...

Mario Andretti, Niki Lauda

Giancarlo Fisichella

Fisdichella, I remember he got pole in 98 in the Benetton and then it was a bit of a wait until he got a pole in the Renault? I would guess the other is Massa as he was never a great qualifier but he had the Ferrari for years.

I think one of them is Fisichella and the other is Patrese?

Both answers were guessed, but not at the same time! It was actually Mario Andretti (between 1968 and 1976) and Giancarlo Fisichella (1998-2005), each with 108 Grands Prix between consecutive poles. Michael Schumacher's pole in 2012 would have been an issue, but even had it counted, it would have fallen a few races short anyway.

11. Which driver retired from racing at the urging of his girlfriend following his involvement in two separate fatal accidents?
No idea

No idea, I'm afraid.

I don't know who, but he was such a crybaby and that guy, had no balls, I repeat louder: NO BALLS

Niki Lauda and some guy who wanted pussy instead of ROID RAGE IN RACING

It certainly wasn't Ol' "Two Wheels" McClenaghan, because during his race career he refused to be tied down to one woman...and he was skilful enough to avoid trouble in the races.

Jack Brabham or Jochen Rindt?

Phil Hill

Jackie Stewart

Jochen Mass?

Jochen Mass.

I think it was Macklin, who was involved in the 1955 Le Mans accident.

While Jochen Mass was a good guess, being involved in Gilles Villeneuve's fatal crash and a scary accident with Mauro Baldi in France, the answer was actually Lance Macklin, involved in the le Mans disaster and later in an accident killing two drivers in the Tourist Trophy in Dundrod.

12. The 1965 South African Grand Prix saw the first occurrence of three separate events. Name them all (0,33 points per correct answer).
Not even going to try.

No idea...

A race in South Africa, a seagull shitting over a couple helmets and a race in January?

Used yellow flags, used blue flags, used oil flags

Debut for a driver, first points for some driver and first podium for a driver?

First fire in the pit lane, first laps led for a driver, and first time a race was held in 1965

First South African Grand Prix at East London; First Win by Brabham; Last race to have 3 drivers per row on the grid.

First F1 race at Kyalami, last year of 1.5 litres engine, first win for John Love. Hue

First points for Jackie Stewart

Jackie Stewart's debut (and probably a few locals too). Jackie Stewart's first points. Jackie Stewart's first Grand Prix in a BRM. Jackie Stewart's first Grand Prix in a BRM-engined car. The first time an F1 race was held in 1965. Jackie Stewart's first race in 1965. :P

Was it the first race which was held on New Year's Eve? Probably not, but that's one thing I do remember about the 60's South African GPs, so I'll go with it. It was also the first time somebody exclaimed 'CLARKWINSLOL' in response to a driver utterly destroying their competition, leading to the time-honoured tradition of doing this anytime a driver does such, leading to the more widely known examples of 'VETTELWINSLOL' and 'HAMMYWINSLOL' today. This is of course taking into account my horrendous knowledge of this time period, ensuring that this was one of the races that Clark actually didn't win in 1965, even though I'm actually pretty sure he did for once. And lastly, it was the first start of both Jeff Smith, and 'Antonio Bronco', better known of course as Lord Elsington Hallstingdingdingworth.

first time a podium was repeated in the same order

IIRC it was the first time a podium repeated another, and Jackie Stewart scored his first points there.

Is one the death of a driver before a GP? Ray Reed crashing his plane. Is the second it was held on the 1st of Jan? And last, er first time 4 british drivers finished 1 to 4?

Guessing by the era...maybe this was Goodyear's debut in F1? The rest must be statistical...first time an F1 podium had repeated? Lotus and Ferrari were pretty dominant at this point, probably some combination of Clark (who I remember won the race), Hill and Surtees or Rindt was probably up there. As for the third...not a clue, so I'll take a stab in the dark at first Grand Chelem (by Clark).

Citing the race as Jackie Stewart's début would have been far too easy. Instead, I was looking for the fact that it was the first race held on January 1st (and therefore held practice sessions the year before), it had the very first repeating podium (Jim Clark - John Surtees - Graham Hill), the same as in Britain in 1963, and finally the fact that it saw the very first prequalifying session, which saw three drivers knocked out (Clive Puzey, Jackie Pretorius and Dave Charlton).

13. Of all drivers to have won a Grand Prix, which one has the highest ratio of second and third place finishes to wins?
No idea.

I'll say Martin Brundle :p

Coulthard

Michael Schumacher

Gonna go with Francois Cevert.

Richie Ginther

Barrichello, probably.

Fernando Alonso?

Fernando Alonso?

Fernando Alonso

Maurice Trintignant?

Maurice Trintignant and Nico Rosberg

Jenson Button

Jean Alesi, probably. Not. But I'll say him anyway.

Jean Alesi? 1 Win, 30 odd podiums?

While Alonso now holds the record for most combined 2nd and 3rd places, he also has a handy amount of wins. I was indeed looking for fan favourite Jean Alesi. One win, 31 other podiums.

14. Who won the first post-War South African Grand Prix?
No clue.

When was war? Wait, what war you talking about?

Somebody not from Asia.

Juan Manuel Fangio

Sam Tingle

John Love. I hope. He deserved to win one.

pffft...Jim Clark?

Jim Clark?

Jack Brabham

Stirling Moss?

Stirling Moss

Stirling Moss

Stirling Moss.

None other than Le Mans winner Paul Frere!

Stirling Moss was a decent guess, and in fact won the second post-War South African GP (of course, I'm talking about WWII), but the first of them, held in 1960, was won by Paul Frère! Interestingly, both of these South African GPs were held in 1960.

15. Which driver, who had a competitive career in Formula One, was the only man to have won both the Monte Carlo Rally and the 24 Hours of Daytona?
Is it a trick question and the answer is the same as above?

haven't got a scooby, I'm afraid

Wow, did he survive all three? Lucky guy

Lord Elsington Hallstingdingdingworth. Quite the proilific racer he was, in his day.

Andre Lotterer

Masten Gregory

Jean-Louis Schlesser

Jim Clark?

Derek Bell?

Mario Andretti

Vic Elford?

Vic Elford?

Vic Elford.

There were quite a few versatile drivers in racing history, but few were as versatile as Vic Elford, who won Daytona and Monaco in the same year, within one week of each other! The year in question was 1968, and he made his F1 début a few months later. He also won the Targa Florio, 1000km of the Nürburgring, Marathon de la Route at the Nürburgring (84 whole hours long), 12 Hours of Sebring, the European Rally Championship, the first rallycross event at Lydden Hill and also competed in CanAm.

16. Which driver, supported by F&S, competed simultaneously in F1, F2 and F3 as late as 1978?
I'll pass.

Don't have a clue.

Is F&S an acronym of Fat&Son? -sounds like baker's dad then-

The scouser scamp Jeff Smith, of course. He never knew when to call it quits. Much to the chagrin of Lord Hallstingdingdingworth.

Some reject?

Ronnie Peterson

Eddie Cheever?

Tony Trimmer?

Hans Heyer

Brian Henton?

Brian Henton?

Harald Ertl

Bleekemolen

Not an easy one this. It was, as one person correctly answered, Michael Bleekemolen, who did a handful of entries for RAM (replacing Boy Hayje, also backed by F&S) and ATS in 1977 and 1978 while competing in Formula 3 and, briefly, Formula 2. His career continued until 2008 in Porsche Supercup, a series which featured his greatest contribution in motor racing: Jeroen Bleekemolen.

17. Which constructor’s “chassis design strategy” consisted of forcefully taking up ownership of another constructor’s existing car, and who was the unlucky constructor concerned (0,5 points per correct answer)?
No idea:D

Wow, that guy was mean.

Dick Dastardly.

...sounds like something Guy Ligier would do.

Safir, Token

Forti from Larrouse

Red Bull, Sauber

Well, Arrows did something like this with "Phoenix GP" or whatever it was called that was taking over the remnants of Prost, so I'm saying them, even though this is clearly not the answer you're looking for.

Life, FIRST?

Arrows / Shadow as a random guess?

Arrows ( wasnt all that forceful though ) and Shadow

German ATS and Penske.

Sounds like Wolf-Williams and Hesketh...

While a few teams have based cars off of "vague memories" from engineers switching teams, only one team physically came to another's factory and demanded that their car be handed over, and this happened in 1976. Ensign were sponsored by HB Bewaking, but when Ensign started failing to get results and failing to hire Dutch drivers after the sacking of the brilliantly-named Roelof Wunderink, HB Bewaking sued Ensign, then turned up at the factory and demanded the N175, which eventually became the Boro 001.

18. Which constructor’s only Formula One chassis was named the “Fly”, who drove it in its only Grand Prix appearance, and when and where was this only Grand Prix (0,25 points per correct answer)?
What a terrible name.

DON"T KNOW at all

I BELIEVE I CAN FLY, UNTIL ARGENTINA IN 1965. I KNOW THAT'S NOT THE CORRECT ANSWER, BUT IT FITTED WITH THE SONG

OH I SO KNOW THIS BUT HOW COME I CAN"T REMEMBER. I REMEMBER LAUGHING AT THE NAME. SOMETIME 1960's-ISH.

No idea, but no wonder he drove it once because flies only live for a few months, and most probably this guy was out of funds and ded before he could enter a GP again

1959 British Grand Prix

McGuire?

Politoys, British GP 1972, A Stooge

Kauhsen, Brancatelli , Spain 1979

It was the Apollon Fly, wasn't it? Thank you, pi's alternate F1, for making this the only question that I know, even though it's worth 0.25 points and therefore probably worthless in making me not last in this quiz. And now I've probably spelt it wrong or misremembered, and won't get the points anyway, making me look like a complete idiot. Not that I didn't already.

The Fly was built and raced by Apollon in 1976, with Loris Kessel driving. No idea about the race though.

Apollon, Loris Kessel, 1977, errr....France?

AHA! Thanks go to Pi for this one; learned it through his management thingamajig...It was Apollon, and the driver and team owner was Loris "Less Than 12 Parsecs" Kessel. The entry was in 1977, but I don't recall which race...

Apollon, Loris Kessel, 1977(?), Italian GP.

As was correctly guessed by quite a few, it was indeed the Apollon Fly, driven by Loris Kessel in 1977. The race was indeed the Italian Grand Prix, and not the 1959 British Grand Prix. That was the Fry. A completely different constructor. The Apollon was actually a heavily modified Williams FW03 sold to Kessel by Frank himself when he turned down the Swiss driver's offer to drive a spare car.

19. Which reject with a brief career occasionally moonlighted as a male model?
No idea.

No idea

Don't know, so let me name a random driver. Ivor Bueb. (I just saw a photo of Bueb, and he looks dangerously like Hitler, so I'm probably wrong, but the answer stays)

Perry McCarthy -now that would have been fun-

Christian Horner.

Christian Horner is a reject, he was rejected before he even made it to F1. :P

Slim Borguud?

Brett Lunger

James Hunt

Paolo Barilla

No idea, but for his tace Harald Ertl.

was it Guy Edwards? I haven't a clue...

Rupert Keegan springs to mind.

Not surprised that no one got this, really, as I've only seen it written in one place. It was Andy Sutcliffe. Sadly, almost no pictures of him survive. He entered the 1977 British Grand Prix and failed to prequalify.

20. Which Canadian Formula A driver’s F1 career was limited to appearances at his home race for Lotus and BRM?
No clue

It's starting to get a bit wearisome now.

wtf is formula a, i think wikipedia once told me f1 was called that for a bit before 1950 but i don't know if it was even cited, obviously this is a different formula a anyway

Wait? Canadians in F1 other than Villeneuves? Are you serious?

Allen Berg's Dad

Moose McCanada. (No idea)

Jacques Villeneuve Sr is the only driver which comes to mind, even though it almost certainly isn't him.

I remember his nick name of Eppie but not his full name.

Eppie Wietzes?

Eppie Wietzes

I'm gonna guess Wietzes again

Al Pease

Bill Brack.

Again, many Canadian drivers quickly appeared and disappeared in the late 60s and early 70s, but only one of them fit the criteria: Bill Brack. Also, Formula A was the predecessor of Formula Atlantic. Brack won the first two seasons of Formula Atlantic, too.

21. Which team once planned to run a monster six full-time cars simultaneously over the length of the season, in which year was this to have taken place, and who were the planned six drivers (0,125 points per correct answer)?
I'm not wasting all this effort for 0.125 points, so I'll pass on this question

Must have been the 50s... Ooooh, the good'ol 50s

This sounds like something somebody would've done in the 50s, however my knowledge of this time period is even worse than in the 60s so I'll pass.

Lion, to go with their twelve wheels

Lancia?

No idea would hazard a guess at Ferrari in 1953, with Farina, Hawthorn, Ascari, Taruffi, Simon, Gonzalez

Ferrari, 1955, Alberto Ascari, Juan Manuel Fangio, Mike Hawthorn, Stirling Moss, Peter Collins, Maurice Trintignant

Ferrari, 1957, Mike Hawthorn, Peter Collins, Luigi Musso, Eugenio Castellotti, Maurice Trintignant, Wolfgang von Trips, Alfonso de Portago (my guess is Castellotti and de Portago died before Ferrari could fulfill their plan?)

March in the mid-70s?

That's very good indeed, shame it was cancelled. Errr, Tyrrell, Andrea de Adamich, Francois Cevert, Jackie Stewart, Jean-Pierre Beltoise, Dan Gurney, Rene Arnoux

good job you're not awarding multiple points because I've got no clue...I'm gonna guess BRM?

BRM in the early 70s

BRM, 1974, six random stooges: Ralf Stommelen, Tom Belso, Tom Walkinshaw, David Purley, Roger Williamson and John Watson

BRM 1971, Rodriguez, Gethin, Beltoise, Ganley, Pescarolo, Schenken

Either BRM wanted even more cars in 1972, or someone was trying to outdo BRM's five-car squad! My guess is the former. I know Beltoise drove for them that year, winning their final race, and Dr. Marko got a stone in his eye while driving for them. 1971 Monza winner Gethin was probably still there, along with Howden Ganley. As for the other two, maybe Reine Wisell and Jackie Oliver?

While the 1950s certainly saw its fair share of multi-car teams, it was BRM who decided to take over the world in 1972, attempting to enter full-time cars for Jean-Pierre Beltoise, Helmut Marko, Peter Gethin, Howden Ganley, Reine Wisell and Alex Soler-Roig (a star-studded line-up if ever there was one). However, due to the sheer magnitude of necessary work, reliability was an issue, and not once in the season did all six drivers compete.

22. Name the ten different drivers who competed for Frank Williams over the 1975 season (0,1 points per correct answer).
Frank Williams would have been shitted by fines had he competed in F1RWRS

I don't know much about the 1970s

Jacky Ickx was one, but nope for the rest.

Keke Rosberg, Chris Amon, David Purley, Wank Williams, John Watson, Piercarlo Ghinzani, Mauro Baldi, Brian Henton, Jean-Paul Jarier, Patrick Néve.

erm...Henri Pescarolo? I think Artur(i)o Merzario was one as well...

Andrea de Adamich, Jacques Laffite, and that's about it. Oh, Jeff Smith, and Lord Hallstingdingdingworth, as well, of course.

Lella Lombardi, Jacques Laffite

Clay Reggazoni, Jody Schekter, Ian Ashley, Arturo Mezzario, Lella Lombardi, dunnnnoooo. I should have play F1Seven mod more

Right. Ian Scheckter, Jacques Laffite, Lella Lombardi, Tony Brise and six other people.

Tom Belso, Ian Scheckter, Jaques Laffite, Arturo Merzario, Lella Lombardi

Arturo Merzario, François Migault, Patrick Neve, Lella Lombardi, Jacques Laffite. No idea about the others.

Y U MAKE THESE QUESTIONS SO HARD????? OK, um....Gijs van Lennep, Arturo Merzario, Jacques Laffite, Vern Schuppan, Renzo Zorzi, Lella Lombardi, Ian Schekter, Harald Ertl, Tom Belso?

Laffite, Jones, Lunger, Migault, Merzario, Perkins, Neve, Zorzi, Jabouille Ian Ashley

Lombardi, Laffite, Scheckter, Brise, Merzairo, Lunger, Ashley, Hobbs, Purdley, Trimmer. Most wrong...

Laffite, Zorzi, Lombardi, Ian Scheckter, Brise, Merzario and Migault are the ones I'm sure of. The other three I will guess were Ian Ashley, Warwick Brown and Michel Leclere.

This one was just a case of memory, so I'll just list them in no particular order. Jacques Laffite, Lella Lombardi, Arturo Merzario, François Migault, Tony Brise, Ian Scheckter, Ian Ashley, Renzo Zorzi, Damien Magee and Jo Vonlanthen.

23. Which driver, better known for his IndyCar career, was the 500th driver to start an F1 Grand Prix?
*gallic shrug*

Whoever was the 500th guy who started a Grand Prix.

Uhhhhh, Bill Vukovich? Maybe? Please?

Teo Fabi

Da Matta

Justin Wilson

Justin Wilson

Sebastian Bourdais

Danny Sullivan

Danny Sullivan

Bobby Rahal?

Michael Andretti ?

Michael Andretti ?

Jim Crawford?

Many good guesses here, but they all came far too late, such as Fabi, Rahal, Sullivan, Andretti, da Matta or Bourdais. Vukovich, however, was far too early. One of you got the correct answer: Jim Crawford, who did two races for Lotus in 1975 before becoming a familiar face of Indianapolis for over ten years.

24. Which one-race reject was, later in life, an engineer for Eric van de Poele?
No idea.

No idea.

No idea.

....I can't even guess

see above.

I can't even come up with a "funny" answer for this one. Booo.

You know, *I* could collect 30 random F1 qualifying performances too

Erm. A man.

Did they drink beer together?

Some belgium dude.. Johnny Claes?

Pierre-Henri Raphanel

Teddy Pilette?

South?

Tony Trimmer

Débuting in the same race as the man above, it was Dave Morgan, who drove for Surtees in the 1975 British Grand Prix. He later became an engineer for van de Poele in both F3000 and F1.

25. Which driver has the record for the best performance in qualifying without ever making a race start, and where did he qualify (0,5 points per correct answer)?
No idea.

See above.

....I can't wait to find out

Yeah, I've got nothing.

Had to have been a DNS, but I haven't the faintest idea.

No bathplugging idea, but I'll say he qualified 12th. Surely a diarrhea or something like that put him out of the race.

21st?

I don't know.. Naoki Hattori

Bernard Charles Ecclestone. I remember he qualified for a race, but gave up his car for Jack Fairman to race instead.

HANS HEYER, 1977 GERMAN GP

Claudio Langes?? 12th??

I'm going to guess from one of your previous questions, with Tom Jones qualifying 19th...

Ernesto Brambilla, 12th (iirc Rodriguez didn't make the field and nicked his car)

Ken Richardson, who was an engineer and developement drive with the BRM team with the V16 engine. He qualified 10th before <answer redacted> and was not allowed to start.

I'm surprised that no one got this one, but the ideas were all good. The answer was in fact none other than Colin Chapman, who qualified fifth on début for Vanwall in the <answer redacted> Grand Prix. However, towards the end of practice, he crashed into teammate Mike Hawthorn, wrecking the car. He never entered another F1 race as a driver.

26. What were the unusual circumstances behind the Formula One début of Ricardo Zunino?
I dunno

He made poop in the wrong place, which turned out to be Niki Lauda's car?

Mistaken for Juan Manuel Fangio's son, played along with it

The team that replaced him went from A-Z in just one driver?

First Brazilian F1 Driver.

That he accidentaly bought an F1 car and accidentaly filled an entry form and his friend accidentaly mis-deliver racing equipments to him.

Lord Hallstingdingdingworth had had quite enough of Jeff Smith's raucous attitude up and down the paddock, and although the Duke of Dellsborough had retired some seasons earlier, he could not resist one final chance at putting one over on his old rival, where he scribbled out Smith's name on the entry list and replaced it with some random Argentinean name he made up on the spot. Only for it to be the name of an actual Argentinean, who was not only a racing driver, but also in the paddock for some reason. And thus Zunino's career began...

Niki Lauda had retired after practise, so Zunino and his team mate had to pre-qualify.

Niki Lauda was fed up with F1 and quit on Brabham mid-season, leaving the door open for Zunino.

He replaced Lauda who quit during the practice session.

Wasnt he only at the track as a spectator

Niki Lauda had quit, so Brabham got a certain Argentinean spectator to drive.

YES! I ACTUALLY KNOW THIS ONE! Zunino was drafted in as a spectator on his debut weekend.

Niki Lauda had just announced he was bored and wouldnt be racing, so Bernie found Ricardo, and some of Niki's overalls (?) and he was in the F1 big time

Lauda decided to say "bathplug you F1", and Zunino was in the stands watching the GP, so Bernie offered him the drive in the place of Lauda

To pull together everyone's answers, this occurred at the 1979 Canadian Grand Prix. After practice, Niki Lauda suddenly decided to retire from Formula One, leaving Brabham without a driver. A desperate Bernie Ecclestone sent a message over the Montréal PA system asking if anyone there was able to drive. Zunino, who had recently tested for Brabham, happened to be attending the race weekend as a spectator and duly took Lauda's place.

27. Which driver-turned-pundit only had a single Formula One entry in which he outpaced his team mate by three whole seconds in qualifying?
No idea.

No idea.

No clue

...and this newfound jubilation was painfully short-lived.

....err

Some loud mouth australian?

One extremely talented guy!

Will Power?

Rudolf Carraciola

Let's say .... mmmmh .... Hideki Noda

Vincenzo Sospiri

David Hobbs maybe?

David Hobbs

David Hobbs was reasonably close, in the sense that he drove in the same era as the man I'm looking for, who was Sam Posey. Yes, I did just realise that he drove in two races, not one. But I was talking about the 1971 United States Grand Prix, where he seriously outpaced teammate Gijs van Lennep, who eventually failed to make the start. Other teammate Mike Hailwood was faster than both, though. Posey also entered the race the following year, but in a single-car team. My point stands :P

28. Which single-race reject who took pride in having never once crashed in a competitive race was covered in controversy early in his career, losing a Formula Junior title for using an oversized engine?
No idea.

No clue.

....err

Don't know.

I swear I've seen this before as well, but the Formula Junior title was in Italy, right?

He didn't crash because he was a pundit. Period.

Sounds like something Jeff Smith would do. That scouser was always cheating somehow...

Hans Heyer

Vincenzo Sospiri

I have no idea... Naoki Hattori? Or as I like to call him, NINJA HATTORI

Marcus Winkelhock

No idea, the clean cut Tiff Needell?

I can't remember his full name, I just know he was German, and his surname was Ahrenz I think. I remember reading about this guy being one of the most successful Formula Junior drivers (win count well into double digits), so I'll guess it was him.

This one was definitely not easy, and only one of you got the answer, albeit misspelt slightly. It was indeed Kurt Ahrens, Jr., who was a three-time German Formula Junior champion. Late in the 1960s, he entered numerous German Grands Prix, mostly as an F2 entrant (except 1968, his only F1 start). He retired after 1970, when he suffered a major testing shunt at Ehra-Lessien.

29. Who held the record for the most career podiums between 1981 and 1984?
Ayrton Senna da Silva (no way, but something I have to answer)

John Watson

Alain Prost?

Alain Prost

Alain Prost

Will hazard a guess at Piqeut

Nelson Piquet?

Niki lauda?

Lauda

Well, the obvious choice would be Nelson Piquet, Alain Prost, Niki Lauda, or Keke Rosberg, so obviously it's none of them. Instead, I'll say Rene Arnoux, even though that is also probably wrong. Somehow.

Probably someone unexpected, so Rene Arnoux

Carlos Reutemann?

Carlos Reutemann

Carlos Reutemann

Reutemann retired in early 1982 and he had a lot of podiums. Yeah, that sounds about right.

I now understand that this question could have been misunderstood as asking who scored the most podiums between 1981 and 1984, which would have been Prost, then Piquet, Arnoux, Lauda and Watson. What I was actually asking was who beat the record for most career podiums in 1981 and held it until 1984. This man was Carlos Reutemann, who beat Jackie Stewart's record 43 in late 1981 and scored his 45th and last podium in South Africa 1982. Niki Lauda then surpassed this record two years later.

30. Which experienced Formula Three stalwart was the oldest F1 débutant between George Follmer and Toshio Suzuki, described his first F1 test as being “much easier than Formula Three” and took an F1 drive despite being advised not to by the car’s previous driver?
No idea.

I give up.

Not even a slight idea.

I do not know. I give up. I tried.*faints*

'Antonio Bronco', of course. Lord Hallstingdingdingworth was of course unable to speak at this point, and so wrote down his opinions of how the test went on a piece of paper. Somehow, nobody questioned the immaculate penmanship of the English writing, something which could've only been done by a true English gentleman such as Lord Elsington Hallstingdingdingworth.

Tony Dron

Eric Swerts

Hasesimo Suzuki?

bizarro-Verstappen

Satoshi Motoyama

Jan Lammers

Let's say Bruno Giacomelli ...

Brian Henton?

Sounds like a privateer, so it was in the '70s, and it was his debut... It was one of the Japanese drivers wasn't it? Takahashi?

It was indeed in the 1970s, but not a privateer. It was in fact the Swede Conny Andersson, who started off with a one-off at his home race for Surtees in 1976, then did a handful of entries for a dying BRM in early 1977, despite having been told by Larry Perkins that the car was "shite". The successful Formula Three racer preferred the added downforce of Formula One, finding that it made the cars easier to handle, and made his home race début at a spritely 36 years old.

I will award points for general funnyness in a couple of days.

UncreativeUsername37

Sorry about the answer overlap :P
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:Sorry about the answer overlap :P

Nah, it's fine. It does, however, mean that I got two free points on your quiz :P

AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

My first quiz ever
The not-so-topic-consistent quiz

1. Who was driving the Bugatti Veyron Super Sport on the attempt for top speed record back in 2010?
2. Who was the last driver to plough the pile-up on full speed of CART 2002 at Surfers Paradise?
3. How did Ralf Schumacher survives the 1998 Belgium pile-up?
4. Who didn’t get chance to drive the car on 2014 F1 Young Driver Test at Silverstone? Why? (0.5 points per answer)
5. Ricardo Patrese’s and Benetton’s famous job at 1993 Belgian GP?
6. What happened to AGS JH26 car?
7. How many CART/IndyCar starts had Domenico Schiattarella done? (Withdrew not counted)
8. Stats wise, there are two similarities between Schiattarella’s F1 and CART/IndyCar career. What are those? (0.5 points each)
9. Layout numbers of the Autodromo Juan y Oscar Alfredo Galves F1 raced. (0.25 points per answer)
10. 1987: According to Jim Clark Trophy, how many races Jonathan Palmer won?
11. Jonathan Palmer wins the Jim Clark Trophy, but where he is on the normal points standings?
12. Name all the name incarnations of current Mercedes F1 team, the 1950s Mercedes is not counted because it isn’t. (0.2 points per answer)
13. Based on our unrejectify terms, when did Tora Takagi got unrejectified back on his CART-IRL carrer?
14. Eliseo Salazar’s best Indy 500 finish?
15. 2011 Canadian GP: Mercedes had an advantage of wet-setup in that race. What happened?

You have time until 10th January to answer
Last edited by AxelP800 on 03 Jan 2015, 15:15, edited 1 time in total.
tommykl has a stroke
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

I felt pretty stupid after the 1965 South Africa question because I remembered the pre-qualifying thing after posting, having done Tommy's last quiz. :P
#FreeGonzo
andrew

Re: The Quiz Thread - Many new quizzes

Post by andrew »

Live standings

1. AxelP800 6.5
2. yannicksamlad 6.5
leywso

Post by leywso »

I love this thread. Great trivia all round!

tommykl wrote:
21. Name the four drivers who made their début in the 1989 French Grand Prix. (0.25 points per correct answer)

Anyone who doesn't mention Alesi should be shot. Alesi - Tyrrell replacing Alboreto because of sponsorship issues, Pirro - Benetton replacing Herbert who was still suffering from the awful effects of his crash and DNQed the previous race, Donolley at Arrows after Warrick had a bad back, and I think Bernard because Yalmas was DNQing after not recovering properly from his legionaires disease.

Not really much to add here. Jean Alesi débuted for Tyrrell, Martin Donnelly for Arrows, Emmanuele Pirro for Benetton and Eric Bernard for Larrousse.

It was also Bertrand Gachot's first F1 start after failing to qualify all season up to that point. Five new starters, no wonder there was chaos at the first corner!
Bobby Doorknobs

leywso wrote:I love this thread. Great trivia all round!

tommykl wrote:
21. Name the four drivers who made their début in the 1989 French Grand Prix. (0.25 points per correct answer)

Anyone who doesn't mention Alesi should be shot. Alesi - Tyrrell replacing Alboreto because of sponsorship issues, Pirro - Benetton replacing Herbert who was still suffering from the awful effects of his crash and DNQed the previous race, Donolley at Arrows after Warrick had a bad back, and I think Bernard because Yalmas was DNQing after not recovering properly from his legionaires disease.

Not really much to add here. Jean Alesi débuted for Tyrrell, Martin Donnelly for Arrows, Emmanuele Pirro for Benetton and Eric Bernard for Larrousse.

It was also Bertrand Gachot's first F1 start after failing to qualify all season up to that point. Five new starters, no wonder there was chaos at the first corner!

The chaos wasn't caused by any of the rookies though, it started when Gugelmin locked his brakes and crashed into Boutsen and Mansell. It escalated from there. :P
#FreeGonzo
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Simtek wrote:
leywso wrote:I love this thread. Great trivia all round!

tommykl wrote:

The chaos wasn't caused by any of the rookies though, it started when Gugelmin locked his brakes and crashed into Boutsen and Mansell. It escalated from there. :P

Looking back, I don't like the way Gugelmin's car was flipped back over, if he suffered any neck injuries from the crash, it could have been potentially disastrous.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

Looks like nobody will answer my quiz anyway, so here it is:

1. Who was driving the Bugatti Veyron Super Sport on the attempt for top speed record back in 2010?
Our reject, Pierre Henri Raphanel

2. Who was the last driver to plough the pile-up on full speed of CART 2002 at Surfers Paradise?
Mario Dominguez

He just pulled of to the left of the road and stopped, while carnage goes on cms from him

4. Who didn’t get chance to drive the car on 2014 F1 Young Driver Test at Silverstone? Why? (0.5 points per answer)
Rio Haryanto, Caterham car broken

3.2 seconds pit stop

Model was built, actual car not built so AGS decided to skip JH26 and upgraded the JH25 into JH25B before changing to JH27 mid 1991

7. How many CART/IndyCar starts had Domenico Schiattarella done? (Withdrew not counted)
Five

8. Stats wise, there are two similarities between Schiattarella’s F1 and CART/IndyCar career. What are those? (0.5 points each)
1 DNS, scored no points on both series

9. Layout numbers of the Autodromo Juan y Oscar Alfredo Galves F1 raced. (0.25 points per answer)
No. 2, No. 6, No. 9, No. 15

Seven

11. Jonathan Palmer wins the Jim Clark Trophy, but where he is on the normal points standings?
11th

12. Name all the name incarnations of current Mercedes F1 team, the 1950s Mercedes is not counted because it isn’t. (0.2 points per answer)
Matra, Tyrrell, BAR, Honda, Brawn GP

13. Based on our unrejectify terms, when did Tora Takagi got unrejectified back on his CART-IRL carrer?
2001 Grand Prix of Houston (4th place)

3rd in 2000
tommykl has a stroke
Bobby Doorknobs

AxelP800 wrote:Looks like nobody will answer my quiz anyway, so here it is:

Our reject, Pierre Henri Raphanel

Mario Dominguez

He just pulled of to the left of the road and stopped, while carnage goes on cms from him

Rio Haryanto, Caterham car broken

3.2 seconds pit stop

Model was built, actual car not built so AGS decided to skip JH26 and upgraded the JH25 into JH25B before changing to JH27 mid 1991

Five

1 DNS, scored no points on both series

No. 2, No. 6, No. 9, No. 15

Seven

11th

Matra, Tyrrell, BAR, Honda, Brawn GP

2001 Grand Prix of Houston (4th place)

3rd in 2000

I was going to try this quiz, but it was late when I started, so I left it. Sorry. :oops:
#FreeGonzo
UncreativeUsername37

Four respondents. Oh well, I've waited longer than I said I would.

1. Why couldn't Alfredo Piàn start the 1950 Monaco GP?
He was injured in quali/practice. Boring, right?

2. Why couldn't Ken Richardson start the 1951 Italian GP?
He didn’t have the proper licence. (Yes, this was discovered after qualifying had already happened. Also, he qualified in tenth place.)

3. What championship race did Aldo Gordini compete in?
The 1951 French Grand Prix.

4. What non-championship race did Aldo Gordini compete in?
The 1951 Paris Grand Prix.

5. He finished second.
Dorino Serafini. Yes, Ascari took over his car, but still.

6. Why did John James retire from the 1951 British GP?
A radiator problem. No fun story here, just trivia.

7. The other first Spaniard in F1.
Juan Jover. What did Paco Godia ever do? Nothing for frontrunners, nothing for rejects. Lame.

8. How many seconds was Robert O'Brien off being second-to-last?
Six. It was the old Spa, but still.

9. In the 1952 Dutch GP, how many laps down did Dries van der Lof finish?
Twenty. I assume this wasn't all on pace, but I don't know.

10. Where did Jan Flinterman finish?
Nice try, Simtek, but "last" isn't good enough of an answer. The answer I was looking for is 9th.

11. Why didn't Piero Dusio qualify for the 1952 Italian GP?
An engine problem. They would let him race nowadays. Never mind that he wouldn't be there, of course.

12. He had a shared drive with Alberto Uria.
Óscar González. They ended up sixth.

13. Colin Chapman DNSed at which race?
1956 France. Another injury.

14. He was the only F1 driver to ever compete for Morocco.
Robert La Caze. It surprises me that there's been exactly one Moroccan F1 driver, with one entry, but it's good for this.

15. Two South Americans entered the 1959 French GP. Who wasn't Fritz d'Orey?
Asdrúbal Fontes Bayardo. Emphasis on "entered", as he didn't set a time in qualifying.

16. How many single-entry drivers were there at the 1960 Argentine GP?
Four: Roberto Bonomi, Ettore Chimeri, Antonio Creus, and Alberto Rodriguez Larreta. Nasif Estéfano DNQed in the Italian GP over two years later.

17. Who couldn't compete in the 1962 South African GP due to dying in an earlier race?
Motorcycle champion Gary Hocking. After the death of a friend, he decided cars would be safer.

18. What race did Brian Hart compete in?
The 1967 German Grand Prix. The worst possible race to make an F1 debut?

19. What country is Bertil Roos from?
Sweden.

20. Where did Jo Vonlanthen place in qualifying in his GP? Helpful hint: he raced.
Twenty-six drivers were to qualify for the 1975 Austrian Grand Prix. Vonlanthen came 28th, but due to Mark Donohue's fatal accident and a non-fatal accident for Brian Henton, 27th and 28th in qualifying filled the grid.

21. He didn't really set fastest lap.
Masahiro Hasemi. Sad when you're known mainly for a timing error, but that's what being a single-entry driver is like.

22. The P34's glorious 1-2—but what concerns us?
The swan song of the great Jac Nelleman. He had a good career, for sure, but he never really got the chance he deserved.

23. What is Gimax's real name?
Carlo Franchi.

24. What team did Marco Apicella drive for?
Jordan. Apparently this was too easy.

25. Where did Stéphane Sarrazin qualify in his GP?
17th. Ahead of his teammate, but he never got to race again, which I'm still mad about even though it was fifteen years ago and I've never even seen the race.

26. How many laps did Markus Winkelhock lead?
Six. You know who DIDN'T lead their first race? Fernando Alonso.

27. Oscar Alfredo Gálvez competed in which Argentine GP?
1953. Find a circuit with a cooler name, go ahead....

28. Jackie Stewart's brother.
Jimmy Stewart. If a timing error wasn't bad enough....

29. Competed in the same race as Jackie Stewart's brother and surnamed Stewart, but no relation.
Ian Stewart. If being related to someone wasn't bad enough....

30. He logged 0 miles in F1 sessions. Get it? Miles?
Ken Miles, who entered the 1961 United States GP and then didn't.

Scores
Simtek: 24/30
tommykl: 20/30
AxelP800: 3/30
yannicksamlad: 3/30
SuperAguri
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: The Quiz Thread - Suuuuuper Hard Japanese F1 Quiz

Post by SuperAguri »

You have until the end of Feburary. Points will be given to funny answers too.

PM me answers

Japanese Engines

1 - Japanese engine tuners HKS built an F1 spec engine, what was unusual about the testing they did with it? (1 point)
2 - Can you name the chassis they used? (1 point for constructor, 2 extra points for full chassis number)
3 - Can you name the Japanese driver who tested it? (20 (yes twenty) points, and no you wont find it via google :p)
4 - A driver testing a future F1 engine, he should be good? Right? What was his best F3000 result (in any series)? (5 points)
5 - Truck builders Isuzu also built an engine, what F1 team tested it? (1 point, 1 bonus point for the chassis number, 1 bonus point for driver)
6 - What road car did the engine nearly end up in? (5 points)
7 - Another Japanese car company decided to build not one but two F1 spec engines that was never raced or tested, who where they? (5 points)
8 - Can you give the engine configurations? (3 points, 5 bonus points each for engine model)
9 - Which Engine company really built the Subaru F1 engine? (1 point)
10 - What was it's best result (1 point)
11 - How many times did it get this? (3 points)
12 - Honda had some reasonable success but what was the first race that a Honda engine raced at as a non works entry? (3 point year, 3 point circuit, 6 points driver)
13 - Everyone knows Damon Hill getting 2nd for the Arrows Yamaha, ignoring this, what was the best result for a Yamaha engine? (2 points, 2 points for team and 2 points for driver and 3 points for circuit)
14 - Yamaha used the Judd GV10 as a base for all its V10 engines, before then they had their own designed V8 and V12 engines, what was the best result for them? (2 points, 3 points for team, 3 points for driver, 5 points for circuit)

Japanese Formula

Note - Catergory means any of the top tier series that Super Formula has raced under.

15 - It is now known as Super Formula, but what has Japanese top tier single wheel catergory also been known as? (1 point per answer)
16 - Who won the most championships in this catergory? (3 points, 2 points for the number of times he won, 1 bonus points for the years (listing more then he won will result in a -2 point penalty)
17 - What was his best F1 result? (1 point for result, circuit and year, 3 points for Chassis)
18 - Who was the first non Japanese driver to win a championship in this catergory? (3 points)
19 - What was his best result in F1? (2 points, 2 point for whom and 2 points for circuit)
20 - How many catergory champions raced in F1? (3 points, 1 point each for naming them)
21 - Out of these what was the best F1 championship position they managed to get? (1 point for name, 1 point for result, 1 point for year)
22 - Who was the first driver to compete in this catergory to win an F1 race? (5 points, extra points for details)
23 - Who was the first driver to win a race in this catergory and to win an F1 race? (5 points, extra points for details)
24 - What catergory driver got the best results in F1? (3 points)
25 - What did they get in this catergory? (3 points)
26 - What did they get in F1? (2 point)
27 - Who was better then him on the day? (4 points per correct answer)

Japanese F1 Teams

28 - Middlebridge, Footwork and Leyton House all had teams in Japanese F3000 and would go on to F1, but was their primary business? (2 points each)
29 - How many times did Middlebridge attempt to enter F1? (1 point, 2 points for information)
30 - What road car did Middlebridge produce briefly? (5 points)
31 - What blue was the Leyton House car? (2 points)
32 - Maki never raced in F1, but how many times did Maki not DNQ in last place? (Ignore Did not Arrive or Car Not Readys) (4 points, 4 bonus points for the races)
33 - It did race in a non championship race, where did it finish? (3 points plus 2 points for extra information)
34 - During the 90s, a number of Japanese teams tried to get into F1 as a constructor can you name them all? (2 points per correct answer)
35 - What was unusual about Toyotas first pole position?

Japanese F1 Drivers

36 - What is the best finishing position of a Japanese F1 driver who did not score points? (1 point each, 5 bonus points for whom, where and when)
37 - Naoki Hattori tried to prequalify the Coloni Cosworth twice in 1991 in Australia and Japan, what positions did he manage in pre qualifying? (2 points)
38 - He raced in Suzuka a month before in Japanese F3000. To the nearest second, what was the time difference between his qualifying time in the Lola Mugen F3000 car and the Coloni Cosworth F1 car. Use + for faster then the F1 car and - for slower then the F1 car. (10 points for correct answer, 1 point off for each second off down to zero)
39 - What was Satoshi Motoyamas only involvement in F1? (2 points for team, 3 for circuit, 2 points for year, 3 points for information)
40 - Who was the oldest Japanese driver to attempt an F1 race? (5 points)
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

I've actually entered this quiz and will probably be just as hopeless as I would have been on Tommy and pi's quizzes had I decided to enter those rather that scream in despair at not knowing a single answer or even where I might find said answers without a hint of cheating.

Banzai!
tBone

Post by tBone »

So I've done a rather rejectful attempt. Don't worry about getting last place, anyone :oops:
YOUR
LOGO

Here