The Quiz Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
dinizintheoven

Re: The Quiz Thread

Post by dinizintheoven »

All right, I'll bite... even though, initially, I took one look at the quiz and thought "I've got no chance of anything other than a DNPQ!" even though I have read some of your Reddit posts. At least, with one of the questions, I won't get zero.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Just to tidy up
yannicksamlad wrote:
And just a small contribution ; how many times was Wilson Fittipaldi classified ahead of his brother Emerson in races where both finished ? ( Grand Prix F1 World Championship events only ) ...

Answer - once - German GP 1973.Wilson was about 4.5 seconds ahead of Emmo at the finish
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

A very quick quiz, first to get the answer wins a million papayas and a piece of reject-related tat that'll be worth at least 50p on eBay in 30 years' time.

Who is "PEHE APHY"?
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dinizintheoven wrote:A very quick quiz, first to get the answer wins a million papayas and a piece of reject-related tat that'll be worth at least 50p on eBay in 30 years' time.

Who is "PEHE APHY"?

I don't know. Just looks like an anagram of HEE HAPPY to me...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

dinizintheoven wrote:A very quick quiz, first to get the answer wins a million papayas and a piece of reject-related tat that'll be worth at least 50p on eBay in 30 years' time.

Who is "PEHE APHY"?

Ooh I know, it's how Harry Kane says "very happy"!
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Who is "PEHE APHY"?

I'm guessing this must be a hilarious error from the early days of on-screen computer graphics, but struggling to find a matching driver name. Derek Daly?
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Barbazza wrote:I'm guessing this must be a hilarious error from the early days of on-screen computer graphics, but struggling to find a matching driver name. Derek Daly?

You're barking up the wrong tree, but in the right forest.
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Rene Arnoux.. Cyrillic?
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

yannicksamlad wrote:Rene Arnoux.. Cyrillic?

One million papayas and a plastic model of a Caterham CT05 from a Christmas cracker for yannicksamlad!

Right, back to normal service...
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

Marc Gene (based on the length and repeated Es)
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

WaffleCat's Off-Season Quiz ANSWERS

Remember this quiz I posted a while back? Yeah, nope. Only two of you participated. And you two were shockingly bad. Nevermind, it was devilishly difficult anyway. I'll post the answers and the result now, cause why not?

1 -- Name the two chassis used by East German entrants in the 1952 and 1953 German Grands Prix.(0.5 points per answer)

BMW and EMW. Rudolf Krause and Ernst Klodwig were in modified Beemers and Edgar Barth was in the East German EMW. Both of you scored no points here.

2 -- Hans Stuck was a racing legend for Auto Union, but it took a while for his son, Hans-Joachim, to get involved with Auto Union’s successor, Audi. At what track, series and year did the younger Stuck first attempt to race in an Audi?(0.33 points per year/series/track)

1988 Trans-Am Race at Long Beach. Yep. The fact that it was an American series threw one of you off. The other didn't even bother to try.

3 -- Gerhard Mitter was exposed by a journalist back in his Formula Junior days for bending the rules. What was that certain journalist’s name and his most famous claim to fame? (0.5 points per answer)

Richard von Frankenberg, the guy that survived vaulting the AVUS wall. It wasn't Denis Jenkinson and it most certainly wasn't a time travelling Will Buxton.

4 -- What manufacturer and designer developed the chassis that Chris Amon declared said chassis to potentially be the best he’s ever raced?(0.5 points per answer)

Gordon Fowell's Tecno. This ain't BS. Sure, Fowell's chassis never raced, but Amon praised it despite how crammed the chassis was. One of you said Ensign as your answer. You were on the right path, but still no points.

5 -- What was missing from Leo Kinnunen’s garage at the 1974 Italian Grand Prix?

Tyres. Somebody nicked Kinnunen's tyres from his pit. One of you answered a full-face helmet. I gave you 0.3 of a point for being technically correct, but not the answer I was looking for.

6 -- What is Rikky von Opel’s current country of residence, and what does he do?(0.5 points per answer).

No, he doesn't sell cheese in Switzerland. No, he does not sell yachts in the UAE. Instead, Rikky Von Opel is now in Thailand practicing as a Buddhist monk. Yep, again, I'm not even joking here.

7 -- Roberto Bussinello was the victor in the first incarnation of which famous national endurance race?

Sandown 500, back when it was a 6 hour event. Surprise there.

8 -- Including his title, type out Charles de Tornaco’s full name. (Bits of points for each name correct that isn't "Charles", "de" or "Tornaco". Not spoiling how many names there are in his name)

Baron Charles Victor Raymond André Evance de Tornaco. Surprisingly, names like 'Birabongse','de Pescara' and 'Jyrki' weren't in his name. Huh.

9 -- Why did Moises Solana finish last in his only race in Europe, a Formula 2 race in Jarama?

He spotted a black cat before the race, took it as an omen and drove slowly and cautiously. One of you got 0.3 of a point for saying that he was slow, which is again technically true.

10 -- What is the apocryphal reason that Boy Hayje managed to qualify for the 1976 Dutch Grand Prix?

His team distracted the organisers while they changed the times behind their backs. The guy who talked about 'some shenanigans involving the recording of the fastest lap' gets half a point for being generally correct, but not precise enough.

11 -- Why did Roy Salvadori quit from B.R.M. in 1957 after just one World Championship Grand Prix?

B.R.M altered their Lockheed brakes behind Lockheed's back. The brakes promptly failed not long after. And so Salvadori quit. And, no, I didn't expect any of you to know that.

12 -- Alberto Colombo managed to seal a major clothing manufacturer for his failed F1 project. Who was that sponsor?

Le Coq Sportif, according to a press photo. I have no idea why Pepe Jeans OR Andrea Moda would be involved, but that's what y'all guessed.

13 -- Ken Downing blew a massive lead to Paul Frere in the final two laps of the Grand Prix de Frontieres at Chimay in 1952. In seconds, how big was that lead that he blew?

14 second lead. Both of you oversold it, but keep in mind that Downing did not spin on those final two laps.

14 -- Which team gave Sebastien Vettel his first ever major open-wheeler test?

Walker Racing in Champcar. Yep. It was a secret two-day test at the Homestead oval in Mario Haberfeld's car back in 2003. Stunned y'all.

15 -- Name EVERY series that Nelson Piquet Jr. has appeared in at least three races.(0.08 points per answer)

F3 Sudamericana, British F3, GP2, A1GP, F1, Nascar Camping Truck, ARCA, Nascar Nationwide, GRC, Blancpain Sprint, Formula E, Stock Car Brasil, WEC. That's a lotta series. Surprisingly, both of you that took this test got the exact same number of series, and thus the same number of points.

16 -- How many laps did Tazio Nuvolari race for (total, in all races) in 1949?

One. It was at his only entry in Marseilles. He raced one lap before handing the car to Piero Carini while complaining of a severe stomach flu. Later that night, Nuvolari was spotted dancing on the table. Ahhh, wonderful.

17 -- What was the official title of the Formula Two race held at Genoa on the 30th of May, 1952?

The Christopher Columbus' 500th Birthday Grand Prix. Oh, man. All of you didn't see that coming, did ya?

18 -- What was Chris Amon doing in the first Formula One race he’d ever seen?

He raced in it. And, here's a shocker, someone got this question right!

And so, onto the pitiful results. Only one of you got one full question right without any technicalities. And even then, you didn't win...

1. yannicksamlad -- 1.72
2. UgncreativeUsergname -- 1.62

Congrats, yannicksamlad.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

WaffleCat wrote:WaffleCat's Off-Season Quiz ANSWERS

1. yannicksamlad -- 1.72
2. UgncreativeUsergname -- 1.62

Congrats, yannicksamlad.

I think I sent you an attempt at this quiz on 8th January, 3:42 on GMT?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

dr-baker wrote:I think I sent you an attempt at this quiz on 8th January, 3:42 on GMT?

Funny. Either I didn't receive it or deleted it on accident. Screencap of my inbox.

Anyway, how did you do? Did you crack the dizzying 2 point barrier?
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Hi I always enjoy learning something from a quiz, and there was plenty of scope for this in WaffleCats fiendish quiz. Thanks!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

WaffleCat wrote:
dr-baker wrote:I think I sent you an attempt at this quiz on 8th January, 3:42 on GMT?

Funny. Either I didn't receive it or deleted it on accident. Screencap of my inbox.

Anyway, how did you do? Did you crack the dizzying 2 point barrier?

Haven't added up yet. Did get the last question though, so got at least one point! Will try sending again for score verification.

Edit: you should find my attempt a n your inbox now?
MCard LOLA
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait a minute, I know I entered this one as well. It must have been via the email link, so that the PM box doesn't fill up - though I forgot to keep a copy of it. Because I remember how indescribably, ridiculously hard this one was, and was somewhat over the moon to find I knew some of the answers about Nelson Piquet Jr and wouldn't get zero. And something tells me I may have got the last question right as well...

Whatever email you signed up this forum with, WaffleCat, I suggest you check it!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dinizintheoven wrote:Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait a minute, I know I entered this one as well. It must have been via the email link, so that the PM box doesn't fill up - though I forgot to keep a copy of it. Because I remember how indescribably, ridiculously hard this one was, and was somewhat over the moon to find I knew some of the answers about Nelson Piquet Jr and wouldn't get zero. And something tells me I may have got the last question right as well...

Whatever email you signed up this forum with, WaffleCat, I suggest you check it!

Yeah, mine was through email link as well to be honest...
MCard LOLA
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

dr-baker wrote:
dinizintheoven wrote:Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait a minute, I know I entered this one as well. It must have been via the email link, so that the PM box doesn't fill up - though I forgot to keep a copy of it. Because I remember how indescribably, ridiculously hard this one was, and was somewhat over the moon to find I knew some of the answers about Nelson Piquet Jr and wouldn't get zero. And something tells me I may have got the last question right as well...

Yeah, mine was through email link as well to be honest...

You guys are right. I missed it because the email linked to my current account isn't my current, usual email. Instead, it's the email I left to rot in the hellhole of shoe spam and the like. I changed it to avoid further confusion in the future.

Speaking of shoe spam, your performance was pretty much the equivalent of shoe spam. I haven't tallied up any scores, but its safe to say that you're not getting any points apart from the Piquet Jr and Amon questions. I want to give dinizintheoven 50% more points for humour, but that'd just be unfair to the rest who took this exam as seriously as their A-Levels. Well, not quite the rest. UgncreativeUsergname was indifferent in his answers.

dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

WaffleCat wrote:Speaking of shoe spam, your performance was pretty much the equivalent of shoe spam. I haven't tallied up any scores, but its safe to say that you're not getting any points apart from the Piquet Jr and Amon questions. I want to give dinizintheoven 50% more points for humour, but that'd just be unfair to the rest who took this exam as seriously as their A-Levels. Well, not quite the rest. UgncreativeUsergname was indifferent in his answers.

Oi! I'll have you know I spent far longer on my diligently amusing answers than I did on A-level revision, and I scored three As when there was no such thing as an A* for A-level.

Well... possibly... I put more into this quiz this year than I did for A-level revision. The point is, it takes longer than you think it does. As did F1RMGP back in the day, which grew into a monstrous time sink.

Incidentally, could you PM my answers back to me? I've forgotten what I wrote for all the wrong answers.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Current Competitors Quiz
One question for each driver and team expected to appear in 2018, roughly increasing in difficulty. When I say "F1", I mean what normal people mean, i.e., the World Drivers' Championship and the names it's taken since.

1. When was the only year Force India finished below their previous championship position?
2. When was the last time Marcus Ericsson scored a point?
3. How many different driver pairings has Toro Rosso had?
4. His name sounds kind of like Leclerc.
5. When did Sauber win the 24 Hours of Le Mans?
6. What did Kevin Magnussen do from 2014 to 2017 that no one else did?
7. When did Mercedes win their first drivers' championship?
8. What races make up Ricciardo's F1 win streak?
9. Where was Max Verstappen's first car race?
10. How many wins did Pierre Gasly get in his season in FR3.5?
11. How many F1 4th places does Hülkenberg have?
12. Not counting Indy, what was the first American F1 constructor?
13. What was the first engine make McLaren used in F1?
14. In what F1 season did Alonso get at least one win, but more pole positions?
15. What was the first F1 race with an Austrian constructor?
16. Esteban Ocon's appearance in F1 ended a long drought. Who is the previous F1 driver to have a family name starting with O?
17. When was the last time Williams got an F1 podium that wasn't third place?
18. In F1 from 1977 to 1985, how long is the Renault works team's longest streak of double finishes?
19. What was Valtteri Bottas' team in European F3?
20. What teams did Brendon Hartley race for in GP2? (0.5 each)
21. What is Kimi Räikkönen's first name?
22. Name the F1 races in which Pérez finished behind Gutiérrez.
23. What series did Stroll race in in 2016 besides European F3?
24. What was the first non-Formula Renault series Stoffel Vandoorne appeared in?
25. What is the only season Carlos Sainz has competed in that did not include a race at Spa-Francorchamps? (0.5 for year or series only)
26. What championship position did Vettel get in his first season in FR3.5?
27. A Ferrari has DNQed in F1 three times. Name the races. (0.5 each)
28. In what year did Lewis Hamilton win the Bambi Award?
29. Make a pronunciation guide to "Sergey Sirotkin". (Most accurate gets 1 point)
30. Name each series Romain Grosjean has won. (0.15 each)
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

PM'd you answers. There may have been an error in sending them, so I'm just putting it on the record that I sent you them now. :D
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:When I say "F1", I mean what normal people mean, i.e., the World Drivers' Championship and the names it's taken since.

...I've officially ruined this place, haven't I?
#FreeGonzo
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Simtek wrote:
UgncreativeUsergname wrote:When I say "F1", I mean what normal people mean, i.e., the World Drivers' Championship and the names it's taken since.

Can only assume we need a spin-off site called "World Championship of Drivers Rejects" now.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
UncreativeUsername37

Simtek wrote:

Technicalities are what make this thread great.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

It's been a long time since I did one of these...

QUESTION 1
List all of the nationalities of the drivers on the 2018 Formula One grid.
(0.055 points per correct answer)

QUESTION 2
How many F1 starts does the current grid have between them?
(1.000 for correct answer, lose 0.005 for each one away)

QUESTION 3
Which drivers on the current grid live in Monaco?
(0.143 points per correct answer)

QUESTION 4
Name all the World Champions on the F1 grid for 2018.
(0.167 points per correct answer)

QUESTION 5
Five current drivers have participated in F1 weekends with four different teams. Name them and their teams.
(0.040 points per correct answer)

QUESTION 6
Which current F1 drivers have driven in the GP2 Series?
(0.111 points per correct answer)

QUESTION 7
Which current driver's surname scores the highest as a Scrabble word, and how many points does it score?
(0.500 points per correct answer; lose 0.100 points per one away)

QUESTION 8
Only three current drivers have achieved this on Grand Prix debut. Who are they, and what did they achieve?
(0.250 points per correct answer)

QUESTION 9
Which driver on the current grid was the most recent to drive in a Grand Prix not using Pirelli tyres? Why?
(0.500 points per correct answer)

QUESTION 10
Which current team holds the records for most points scored in an F1 weekend? How many points?
(0.500 points per correct answer, lose 0.050 points per one away)

Good luck with some of those. Probably the hardest quiz I could put together that asks questions only about the current drivers (and one about one of the current teams).
Gertrand Bachot

Post by Gertrand Bachot »

This is the best quiz I could compile with my knowledge about F1 and CART/CCWS merged into 10 questions. Here we go.

Question 1: What F1 team did Paul Tracy test for, when was it, where was it, and what was special about it? (0.25 points for each answer)

Question 2: Name the CART teams that Jan Magnussen drove for (0.33 points for each answer)

Question 3: What stopped Mauricio Gugelmin from winning his home race in 1997?

Question 4: What was Tarso Marques' best finish in CART, where, when and who was it with? (0.25 points per correct answer)

Question 5: How many former F1 drivers (they raced in F1 before CCWS) competed in CCWS (not CART) and who were they? (0.14 points per answer)

Question 6: Who is the least successful CART/CCWS driver in F1 results-wise since 1990?

Question 7: How many engines did Stefan Johansson race with in both F1 and CART, and name them. (0.0625 points per answer)

Question 8: Name all of AAR's drivers from 1996 to 1999 (0.14 points per answer)

Question 9: How many times did Shigeaki Hattori have an incident in 1999 that damaged his car? (1 point for the answer, 0.052 points taken away for every number further from the actual answer you are)

Question 10: How many podiums that were not a win did Juan Pablo Montoya get in 2000?

And there you have it, 10 questions that I've tried to avoid basing them on the 1990s (so Londoner doesn't get them all :badoer: ) but inevitably ended up there anyways.
Last edited by Gertrand Bachot on 10 Mar 2018, 19:13, edited 1 time in total.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Gertrand Bachot wrote:Question 6: Who is the most rejectful CART/CCWS driver in F1 since 1990?

Question 9: How many times did Shigeaki Hattori have an incident in 1999? (1 point for the answer, 0.052 points taken away for every number further from the actual answer you are)

These two questions seem too open to interpretation to me. I'd suggest rephrasing them.
#FreeGonzo
UncreativeUsername37

Nine entrants, guys! I finally made a good one!

1. When was the only year Force India finished below their previous championship position?
2010? Fisichella got them some nice points in Spa but I think they weren't that competitive anywhere else. I'm going with 2010 nevertheless.

2011 or 2013 (whichever is right)

Errrrr, 2011 if I remember correctly. I could be remembering very wrong as well...

2012 I think?

2012, I think, as a result of Sauber's improvement.

Was going to say 2010, but I feel like the new points system may have helped them. So maybe 2012? Because that season was silly-close with many teams jousting for wins, but Force India was not amongst them.

In 2012, they came 7th, down from 6th.

2. When was the last time Marcus Ericsson scored a point?
Monaco 2017?

2014... if you want the Grand Prix I don't know it, so I'll guess Belgium.

The 2015 Japanese Grand Prix

bathplug knows. Some time in 2015 maybe?

A race in 2015

2015. When in 2015 I can't remember, but 2015.

Mid-2015 when he had like three pointscoring races in a row. I'm going to guess Belgium was the last of those.

2015 Italy

His 9th place at the 2015 Italian Grand Prix was his second best result at the time, and it still is.

3. How many different driver pairings has Toro Rosso had?

I'm not going to start counting them so I'll just guess 14.

I count thirteen, though I may have messed up in 2017.

I can work this one out!

2006 - Liuzzi and Speed (1)
2007 - Liuzzi and Speed / Liuzzi and Vettel (3)
2008 - Vettel and Bourdais (4)
2009 - Bourdais and Buemi (5)
2010 - Bourdais and Alguersuari (6)
2011 - Ditto
2012 - Ricciardo & Vergne (7)
2013 - Ditto
2014 - Vergne & Kvyat (8)
2015 - Verstappen & Sainz (9)
2016 - Ditto / Kvyat & Sainz (10)
2017 - Ditto / Sainz & Gasly / Hartley & Kvyat / Gasly & Hartley (13)

Thirteen assuming I've not missed anyone.

12?

Twelve. I think. That driver roulette at the end of last year was some next level merry-go-round.

Aislabie has been kind enough to give all the pairings here so I don't have to (Bourdais was sacked during his last season, but otherwise the years are correct). However, he counted Liuzzi and Speed twice and ended up saying 13, despite knowing the answer.

4. His name sounds kind of like Leclerc.
Charles Leclerc? Am I missing something here?

.????

Nay idea tbh

Perez?

Errr....Charles LeClerc? Or you going for a past driver? Peter de Klerk?
Robert La Caze? Help me out here man.

Michel Leclere?

Michel Leclere?

Who do you want - Michel Leclere or Neville Lederle?

I had Peter de Klerk down, but Michel Leclère is of course also acceptable.

5. When did Sauber win the 24 Hours of Le Mans?
Never?

1991. I'm half confident I got this right. Only half, though.

I have no idea. 1990? Complete stab in the hay I'm afraid.

1990?

1989 as the works Mercedes team.

1989 ..around then --1989?

Yep, most of you knew this.

6. What did Kevin Magnussen do from 2014 to 2017 that no one else did?
...???..Go from McLaren to Haas...

Drive for three different teams.

Drive with a Mercedes, Renault and Ferrari engine

Contested a race weekend with all current engine manufacturers

Driven with every currently active engine supplier (not counting pointless rebadging exercises). I think this was asked on a previous quiz, come to think of it...

He entered a race with every single engine manufacturer in the V6 turbo era.

Used different engines every year.

Enter Grands Prix with every different engine:

2014 - McLaren-Mercedes
2015 - McLaren-Honda
2016 - Renault
2017 - Haas-Ferrari

Try all different engines.

This was easier than I expected.

7. When did Mercedes win their first drivers' championship?

I'm going to say 1954.

1954 with Juan Manuel Fangio

1954 with Fangio. Though, IIRC, he raced with Maserati as well that season. Fangio's 1955 if you want to count a full season, then.

Mercedes have never won a drivers' championship because Mercedes is not a driver. :ugeek: But seriously, 1935 European, 1954 world, 1955 world without sharing.

The answer is 1935. I never said anything about F1.

8. What races make up Ricciardo's F1 win streak?
Baku, Sepang

2014 Monaco and Canada

Canada, Hungary, Belgium, Malaysia and Azerbaijan.

"temporary race tracks", ones that are only built for the F1 race but are otherwise public roads.

Hungarian and Belgian GPs 2014

2014 Hungarian and Belgian Grands Prix

2014 Hungary and Belgium.

Err....two races in 2014, I know that. I remember Hungary was one of them. Was Belgium the other?

Win streak? Hmmm... I think he won back-to-back in 2014 but I don't really know. I'll keep guessing Belgium and then... Italy? Nah, Hungary makes more sense for Red Bull.

2014 Hungary and Belgium. Everyone was either right or horribly wrong.

9. Where was Max Verstappen's first car race?
Bleeeeeeeeeeeeh. Germany?

Belgium. I'm guessing this because he lived so close to the Belgian border that...y'know, he started racing there.

Spa-Francorchamps

Spa?

The Netherlands

Assen ?

Motorland Aragon? Genuinely no idea.

Florida Winter Series 2014 at Sebring

Didn't he do the Florida Winter Series in 2013-14? I guess my answer's Sebring if so.

The Florida Winter Series, perfect for tricky questions. Well, 78% perfect.

10. How many wins did Pierre Gasly get in his season in FR3.5?

No idea. 7.

1. I've no clue. Who follows FR3.5 anymore??

No idea, I'll say one.

Zero

None

None because I remember there being a while of people slating him for not winning things.

Whether you knew it or just figured it'd be a trick, almost half of you got this one. He got second in the championship, and the very next year Ocon pulled off his epic GP3 season, but he had a race win. Cheater.

11. How many F1 4th places does Hülkenberg have?
bathplug loads.

Two

Four?

Three, I think. I do remember it was less than I expected

3?

It would be great he had four 4ths, but the answer is three.

12. Not counting Indy, what was the first American F1 constructor?
Rust-eze

Eagle is the first I know but I'm prettu sure there are earlier ones...

Cooper-JAP was entered under the American flag for Harry Schell, but I'm thinking you may be looking for Eagle.

Eagle

Eagle

Eagle?

Scarab

I'm in a pickle. I want to say Scarab, but my mind is pulling myself towards that weird one-off by Rodger Ward's Kurtis Kraft at Sebring 1959.

Funnily enough, Kurtis Kraft can lay claim to having the first American-built car entered into a world championship F1 race, thanks to Rodger Ward.

Indeed, that Kurtis Kraft midget was the first World Championship car representing the USA... emphasis on World Championship, despite the race it was in....

13. What was the first engine make McLaren used?
McLaren engines

Repco?

Coventry Climax

Repco

Serenissima. Oddly enough, this is the only answer I'm 100% sure I'm correct on.

Serenissima I think, although they also used a Ford-Cosworth that season so it might be a double bluff.

Ford 3.0 Litre Indy 500 V8 and a Serenissima 3.0 Litre V8

That was Ford.

Ooooh, wasn't it a Ford V8?

Most of McLaren's entries in their first season were with a Serenissima, but the first was with a Ford.

14. In what F1 season did Alonso get at least one win, but more pole positions?

2003?

2003. Maybe. Please let it be 2003.

2003 seems plausible to me.

Win one win and two poles, the answer is indeed 2003.

15. What was the first F1 race with an Austrian constructor?
1964 Austrian Grand Prix

1976 Austrian Grand Prix

I feel this has a trick answer here. I think Red Bull was and is the only Austrian constructor ever. I think. And weren't they British until they started winning races? My guess, then, would be 2009 Chinese GP. Most likely wrong, but its worth a stab.

I don't know of any other Austrian constructors than Red Bull so I'm going with 2005 Australian GP.

Australia 2005

2005 Australia, although for some reason I've been seeing a British flag beside the Red Bull name in Wikipedia's page for the 2005 season recently...

Almost certainly a trick question, but Australia 2005.

Oh, this is going to be some bollocks about how Red Bull were registered as a British team for their first season. I think Bahrain 2006?

Probably Red Bull, though I recall they were British for a season or two, so I will say, the 2007 Australian Grand Prix.

For their first season, Red Bull were British. Or was it their first two? The Internet won't tell me, so I have to take both. The point is, they weren't always Austrian.

16. Esteban Ocon's appearance in F1 ended a long drought. Who is the previous F1 driver to have a family name starting with O?
Tim O'Glock

Tim O'GLock - Jordan 2004

Bruno Jack O'Melley.

Oooh this is niche. Jackie Oliver is the most recent I can think of but there's probably some obscure DNPQ merchant since him.

Wow. What even is this??? Err...whoa...Jackie Oliver?

Jackie Oliver

Jackie Oliver

No idea

Could it be the great Danny Ongais?

Yes, it is Danny Ongais. It was a guy who had a profile! 89% of you should feel ashamed. :P

17. When was the last time Williams got an F1 podium that wasn't third place?
Singapore 2008

bathplug, 2012 Spanish GP

I might be missing a time Williams got a double podium from their Martini days, I can't remember if that ever happened. But I'll go with the obvious answer, and that is the Reverend Maldonado's glorious win in Spain 2012.

Spain 2012

Austria 2015

Probably not since 2014. I'll say Austria 2014.

2014 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Valtteri Bottas got a couple of second-places in 2014. Surely there must be some since then? Wait, weren't they weirdly good that year in Abu Dhabi? And Rosberg's car wet the bed, so I'm going Abu Dhabi 2014

2014 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix (got 2nd and 3rd in that race)

Yes, who could forget Williams' double podium at Abu Dhabi? Well, most of us.

18. In F1 from 1977 to 1985, how long is the Renault works team's longest streak of double finishes?

1 race. They were unreliable then. I can't trust them.

One Grand Prix - they were always blowing up back then. It's one or never, surely?

1, lol

I'll say five, but I have a feeling I'm being too generous...

3 races

3?

In the first three races of 1985, both cars finished. That was their record, and they only did it once. They also only got two in a row once. 1 was not a bad guess.

19. What was Valtteri Bottas' team in Euro F3?
Nope

.....AAW Racing? Because...of Kinnunen???...I don't trust my answer, my gut says Carlin, but AAW will be my final answer. I'm very wrong, aren't I.

HiTech

Team Rosberg?

Mucke Motorsport?

ART

ART

No idea, so I'll go with ART. Didn't he win the GP3 title for them?

ART

Yep, ART. Wasn't the only thing he did with them, as is pointed out.

20. What teams did Brendon Hartley race for in GP2? (0.5 each)
Zilch

Arden and Rapax

ART, Addax (dunno)

No clue, so I'll say Arden for the Red Bull connection and... I don't know, iSport?

Gauthier and Loonmotor, I have no idea.

ART, DAMS

Campos (hasn't everyone?) and Carlin

Rapax, Ocean Racing Tech

Ocean Racing, Coloni

Coloni and Ocean, for two and four weekends respectively over three years. Most of you weren't thinking rejectful enough.

21. What is Kimi Räikkönen's first name?
Kimi

Kimi :evil:

Mattias

I give up. Matias?

Kimi. Calling the double-bluff. Although if you're counting the second barrel, Kimi-Mattias I think.

Officially Kimi-Matias

Kimi-Matias

Kimi-Matias

Kimi-Matias!

Most of you knew there was Matias involved, most knew it was a double-barreled name, most spelled it correctly, but only a minority got it all.

22. Name the F1 races in which Pérez finished behind Gutiérrez.
None

I don't know, so I'm going to keep calling bluffs. Never.

There's no (0.2 points) per answer clue here. This is a trick question. I say zero.

Monaco 2012

Monaco 2016

Dunno, probs a few at the tail end of 2013. Maybe the 2013 Singapore GP?

2014 Belgium; 2013 Japan; 2016 Australia (I don't know)

Japan 2013

Japan 2013 is the only possible one I can think of.

2013 Japan, his best result, is one. 2014 Brazil is the other.

23. What series did Stroll race in in 2016 besides Euro F3?
Who knows.

Moto3. I know I'm wrong, just give me all the wrong answers here.

The one in New Zealand , Australia in the winter

Formula 4 Italy

Euro NASCAR?

Ferrari Challenge Cup

American Le Mans Series? Think that's the one with the Daytona 24 Hours

He did the Daytona 24 that year, didn't he? So, USCC, or IMSA, or whatever the appropriate term is.

WeatherTech SportsCar Championship

In 2016, he did the Daytona 24 Hours, so the answer is WeatherTech SportsCar Championship. USCC was accepted since it's just a previous name, ALMS was not since it merged with another series to make USCC and so isn't the same thing.

24. What was the first non-Formula Renault series Stoffel Vandoorne appeared in?
Formula 4 NEC

F1

GP2

GP2

I don't remember seeing him in any F3 results table and I think he progressed through the French Formula Renault ladder... I think it's GP2.

If you're talking SimRacing wise, it would be ATCC Season 4 hosted by TouringProSeries. If you're saying in the real world, that'd be GP2. I think. I've been a StoffelWaffle fan since Simracing days, so I'm gonna be ashamed when I get this one wrong.

GP2

GP2

GP2

The answer is the FIA GT Series, in 2013, for one weekend. If I counted sim racing, then I'd have to count everything, basically I'm saying karting, and then things would get, dare I say it, too weird....

25. What is the only season Carlos Sainz has competed in that did not include a race at Spa-Francorchamps?
2006, ?

Okay, this I don't know. I give up. Super Formula???

Euro Formula 3, in 2014.

Pretty sure it was Formula 3. Let's work out when... F1 in 2015, Formula Renault in 2014, GP3 I think in 2013, so 2012 Formula 3... I think it was the Euro Series back then? And didn't he drive in that in 2011 also?

Right that's got messy. 2011 AND 2012 Formula 3 Euro Series

2014 FR3.5

2009, Formula Renault Alps ?

I'll go as early as possible and say 2010, but I have no idea what he was racing in then.

2010 Formula Renault Eurocup

2010 Formula Renault 2.0 UK. For one weekend in the winter series. One 6th, one retirement.

26. What championship position did Vettel get in his first season in FR3.5?
3rd

3rd.

Third.

3rd?

5th

5th

5th??

Did he even do a full season there? F3 was surely his main focus. I'll say 12th from a partial season.

Ah. Very low. He only competed in a few races. 14th or somewhere there.

He did two weekends in his first season, one of which went very well results-wise and one of which didn't quite. He was 15th overall.

27. A Ferrari has DNQed in F1 three times. Name the races. (0.5 each)
Make me.

1971 Italy; 1972 Italy; 1973 Italy

Works or privateer? If privateer, I can tell you about the Charles de Tornaco chronicles. If works...I can't help you there.

Jody Scheckter at Monaco 1980

Don't know

Wasn't Gilles Villeneuve's accident in qualifying? So Belgium '82. I have no idea about any others. Maybe Monaco in like... '60 and '61?

1980 Montreal 2006, and err Monaco - no time set?

1980 Canadian Grand Prix

Scheckter in 1980 at Montreal, I think. Cliff Allison's horrible accident at Monaco 1960 is another one. I don't know of any more for certain, so I'll say von Trips at Monza in 1956 where he crashed in practice even though that's usually listed as a DNS.

Allison's accident at Monaco in 1960, Andretti at Monaco in 1971, and Scheckter at Canada in 1980.

28. In what year did Lewis Hamilton win the Bambi Award?
I don't even want to guess what the Bambi Award is, primarily because my only thought is about mothers that have died, and I sincerely hope that wasn't the case.

2008 during peak Lewisteria?

2008 was indeed a great time for him to win a media award.

29. Make a pronunciation guide to "Sergey Sirotkin". (Most accurate gets 1 point)
Srgay Srtkin

Ser-gay Si-rot-kin

Sir-gay Si-rot-kin

SER-gay Si-ROT-kin is probably easiest for most English speakers.

Sir-Gay See-Wrote-Kin

Sir Gay, Sir O'kin. Sounds like two knights of the square table.

Can't do the whole phonetic alphabet thing. "Sir-gyay Si-rot-kyin". I lose, I know.

Sayer-gAy, with emphasis on the A, Si-rOat-keen, with emphasis on the O.

I assume you're looking for IPA? [Ser'gej Si'rotkijn]

By most correct syllables and best stress, the last one is the best (obviously, that's how they're listed), overly tense vowels being the main issue.

30. Name each series Romain Grosjean has won. (0.15 each)
All of them.

GP2, Formula Renault Alps, Formula Renault, A1GP , F3

GP2, European F3, FR2.0, FR3.5

GP2; Formula Nippon; GP2 Asia Series; Formula 3000; Euro Formula 3; Asia Formula 3.

GP2, GP2 Asia, Auto GP, French FR and a wild guess Andros Trophy?

GP2, GP2, GP2, GP2, GP2, GP2, GP2. Am I right?

GP2, GP2 Asia, F3 Euroseries

GP2, Auto GP, GP2 Asia (almost forgot that one). Think he won the F3 Euroseries as well. Probably some lower-level stuff that I can't possibly think of.

Simply no idea so I'm going to go logical. French Formula Renault, Formula 3 Euro Series and GP2 are the only ones I know. And the only year I can do is 2011 GP2.

Hang on, wasn't there a GP2 Asia Series around that time too? I'm still missing some series...

In chronological order: Swiss FR1.6, Formula Lista Junior, French FR2.0, Euro F3, GP2 Asia, Auto GP, and GP2. No weird touring car diversions, there are just a lot of them....

The scores
Simtek: 18.1
Bleu: 13.95
Aislabie: 9.6
Gertrand Bachot: 9.5
WaffleCat: 6.65
CarloSpace: 5.1
Rob Dylan: 5
yannicksamlad: 4.5
takagi_for_the_win: 4

Simtek wins by over 4 points, with Bleu ahead of second by over four points. Then Aislabie just beats Gertrand Bachot to the final place on the podium.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Can all those of you who scored more than 5 on that quiz tell me, under oath in a court of law, that you did not look any of those answers up on Wikipedia, Forix, or any other informative site whether motorsport-related or otherwise?
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

dinizintheoven wrote:Can all those of you who scored more than 5 on that quiz tell me, under oath in a court of law, that you did not look any of those answers up on Wikipedia, Forix, or any other informative site whether motorsport-related or otherwise?

I can attest, I didnt look at Wikipedia, StatsF1, Forix or any other motorsport site whatsoever.

I did look up the answers after, though. And got egg on my face when the one answer that I was 100% sure of, Serenissima, was very, very wrong..

CarloSpace
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CarloSpace »

dinizintheoven wrote:Can all those of you who scored more than 5 on that quiz tell me, under oath in a court of law, that you did not look any of those answers up on Wikipedia, Forix, or any other informative site whether motorsport-related or otherwise?

I don't think five was that hard to get as I knew three questions for certain and lucked more or less the rest 2,1 points :D
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

I did not look up any answers; hence failing to spell "Matias" right and stuff like that
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Reviving this thread now, because while I should really be studying, I've made this little tricky Sporcle quiz in my downtime. Contains some reject material cause why not.

Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

A measly 55 points! I completely forgot who that other French driver was in Pacific in 1994. I spent 5 minutes trying to think of who it was, and I'm watching 1994 right now!
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

92 for me, officially. And it would have been 93, except there's a certain French driver from the 1950s whose name I apparently couldn't spell. I think the absolute maximum I could have hoped for was 100, looking at the ones I didn't get but might have done on another day.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

91, though there was also one for me that I just couldn't get the right spelling for. Good quiz, a real challenge!
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

80...not bad. After a bit I realised that last names worked...
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

113. Thanks to yannicksamlad I knew that surnames only worked.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

45 second quiz - testing if this works https://www.sporcle.com/games/Mr_I/f1-team-sponsors
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

yannicksamlad wrote:45 second quiz - testing if this works https://www.sporcle.com/games/Mr_I/f1-team-sponsors

It works, although I can think of another team that were sponsored by Nordica.