The Quiz Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Aislabie

The "Aislabie Has Just Finished His Exams" Celebration Quiz

Post by Aislabie »

Okay guys, I've just finished my exams and have celebrated like a true student by compiling an almost indecently large quiz. Let's get to this...

The Quiz of Nations
  1. Image Ricardo Teixeira was a test driver for the Lotus Racing team that would go on to become Caterham. How many GP2 points did he score?
    (1 point for correct answer, lose 0.1 for each one away)
  2. Image Name the ten Argentine drivers to have driven more than ten Grands Prix.
    (0.1 points per correct answer)
  3. Image Excluding his sabbatical in 1992, in which seasons did Alain Prost fail to record a Grand Prix win?
    (0.5 points per correct answer)
  4. Image Name the three Australian drivers to have entered Grands Prix but failed to start any.
    (0.33 points per correct answer)
  5. Image Which four Grands Prix did Christian Klien skip in 2005 Championship and why did he have to miss them?
    (0.2 points per correct answer)
  6. Image Which four drivers failed to finish the Grand Prix at the Baku City Circuit?
    (0.25 points per correct answer)
  7. Image According to the official circuit map, how many corners did the Endurance Circuit have in 2010?
  8. Image Which seven constructors did Bertrand Gachot drive for?
    (0.14 points per correct answer)
  9. Image What was Pedro Diniz’s best result for Forti? At which circuit did he achieve it, and in which year?
  10. Image Which former F1 reject team did Vladimir Arabadzhiev drive for in the same year as he tested a Lotus Racing F1 car?
    (1 point for correct answer)
  11. Image Name all of the Canadians to have entered a Championship Grand Prix other than the Canadian GP.
    (0.16 points per correct answer)
  12. Image Eliseo Salazar twice finished in the points. For each, name the finishing position Grand Prix, season, and the car he was driving.
    (0.12 points per correct answer)
  13. Image In which years has Lewis Hamilton won the Chinese Grand Prix?
  14. Image Whose Ensign finished in fourth place at Jacarepagua?
  15. Image The bespectacled Andrea de Adamich raced for five F1 teams; who were they?
  16. Image For which team did Tio Ellinas test, and in which year?
  17. Image Tomas Enge had a busy year in 2001, driving in four championships. One of those was Formula One, where his Prost team used four other drivers. Name all the other championships and Prost drivers.
  18. Image What two things is Kevin Magnussen the only current Formula One driver to have achieved?
  19. Image Which was the last Formula One season not to contain a single Finnish competitor? Who was the last Finnish driver before that time, and who was the first to come after it?
  20. Image Name every French driver to win a World Championship Grand Prix.
    (0.09 points per correct answer)
  21. Image Name every country in which Nick Heidfeld finished a Grand Prix in second place.
  22. Image Which Greek monarch tested a Formula One car?
  23. Image In the 63 Grands Prix of the V6 turbo era so far, how many podium ceremonies have not featured Lewis Hamilton?
  24. Image Name all twelve of Theodore’s race drivers.
    (0.08 points per correct answer)
  25. Image Zsolt Baumgartner profited from attrition to earn a point at Indianapolis in 2004. Which six drivers crashed out of that race?
    (0.16 points per correct answers)
  26. Image Who were Narain Karthikeyan’s F1 team-mates?
  27. Image Which circuits did Rio Haryanto drive at in Formula One that he had also previously won at in junior categories?
  28. Image For which team did French-Iranian Soheil Ayari test drive in 1997?
  29. Image In which seven countries did David Kennedy fail to qualify for a Grand Prix?
  30. Image Name every Italian constructor to have scored a podium finish.
  31. Image Name both Japanese drivers to have scored the fastest lap of a Grand Prix.
  32. Image How old was King Hussein bin Talal when he test-drove a Benetton?
  33. Image Which drivers have finished on the podium at the Korean Grand Prix?
  34. Image In which countries has Felipe Nasr scored World Championship points?
  35. Image Rikky von Opel was Liechtenstein’s only F1 driver, but in which country was he born?
  36. Image Who is the only driver to have recorded DNFs in both runnings of the Luxembourg Grand Prix?
  37. Image Name every driver to drive a Caterham or “Lotus Racing” car at a Formula One weekend. There are lots.
    (0.06 points per correct answer)
  38. Image Which two championships did Pascal Wehrlein win on his way to Formula One?
  39. Image Who is the only Mexican Formula One driver not to have scored a point?
  40. Image Which French drivers have won the Monaco Grand Prix since 1950, and how many victories do they have between them?
  41. Image Who were the five points-scorers at the 1958 Moroccan Grand Prix?
  42. Image Name every team that Jos Verstappen drove for in his Formula One career.
  43. Image The 1973 British Grand Prix was unique for having four Kiwi drivers in it. Who were they?
  44. Image In which racing series did Adam Khan finish in third place to earn a testing role at Renault?
  45. Image Robert Kubica finished fourth in the 2008 World Drivers Championship. By how many points did he miss out on the title?
    (1 point for correct answer, lose 0.1 for every one away)
  46. Image What does Pedro Matos Chaves have thirteen of?
  47. Image Khalid bin Hamad Al Thani bought himself an F1 test with Williams, but what was his usual racing discipline?
  48. Image Which four constructors have employed a Russian race driver?
  49. Image How many times was the San Marino Grand Prix held?
  50. Image Which three South Africans have scored World Championship points?
  51. Image Six Spaniards have started more than 20 Grands Prix. Who are they?
  52. Image With which ten constructors did Stefan Johansson enter Grands Prix?
  53. Image What did Clay Regazzoni do that nobody has done for 47 years since?
  54. Image Prince Bira was a busy man. How many times was he married, and to how many different women?
    (0.5 points for each correct answer)
  55. Image Jason Tahinci got to test a Jordan Grand Prix car, despite never scoring a GP2 point. How many GP2 races did he enter?
  56. Image Name every winner of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.
  57. Image Name every British driver to have raced a Ferrari car in a World Championship Grand Prix.
  58. Image Which circuits have hosted the United States Grand Prix?
  59. Image What unusual feat did half-Uruguayan Adrian Sutil achieve in Swiss Formula Ford?
  60. Image How many DNFs did Pastor Maldonado “achieve”?
  61. Image John Love entered one Grand Prix in 1964. For what two reasons was it unique in his career?

Some pieces of advice:
  • The maximum score of 61 isn't the maximum score. You can earn bonus points by pointing out a correct answer that I don't currently have, or sometimes by answering in detail, as currently I do have some bonus-point details listed.
  • You don't lose points for incorrect guesses, so a wrong answer is better than no answer at all.
  • If I ask you to give ten answers, I will only accept your first ten - right or wrong.

Have fun.

This unhealthy love of quizzes is what got me on the University Challenge team. Send help.
dr-baker

Re: The "Aislabie Has Just Finished His Exams" Celebration Q

Post by dr-baker »

Aislabie wrote:[*]Image Z**** B**********

Beware the papayas!!!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Ataxia
Not Important

Re: The Quiz Thread

Post by Ataxia »

Answers sent. As with most other quizzes on this forum, I may have included a short story...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Aislabie wrote:[*]If I ask you to give ten answers, I will only accept your first ten - right or wrong.

So, before I send my attempt at this quiz: does this mean "wondering out loud before I give a definitive answer" is going to be taken as the definitive answer anyway?
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

dinizintheoven wrote:
Aislabie wrote:[*]If I ask you to give ten answers, I will only accept your first ten - right or wrong.

So, before I send my attempt at this quiz: does this mean "wondering out loud before I give a definitive answer" is going to be taken as the definitive answer anyway?

If you say "I was thinking about Pastor Maldonado, but he's not from China so instead I'll say Ho-Pin Tung and Ma Qinghua" then I'll take the latter two as your answers
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Aislabie wrote:
dinizintheoven wrote:

If you say "I was thinking about Pastor Maldonado, but he's not from China so instead I'll say Ho-Pin Tung and Ma Qinghua" then I'll take the latter two as your answers

I'll shove the actual answers in bold just to make sure. It should show up in the PM, if previous PMed answers to other quizzes are to be believed.

Bartz Klusner wrote:Yo-ho-ho and stuff! Time to cast off!

EDIT: answers now sent, including two last-minute additions which I added in something approaching proof-reading and should score a few more fractions of points.
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

I got another quiz on Sporcle up and ready, in the same vein as my previous quiz…

https://www.sporcle.com/games/WaffleCat/substitute-drivers-in-formula-1-1990-1999

Alternative names for this quiz include 'So You Think You Can 1994?'
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

WaffleCat wrote:I got another quiz on Sporcle up and ready, in the same vein as my previous quiz…

https://www.sporcle.com/games/WaffleCat/substitute-drivers-in-formula-1-1990-1999

Alternative names for this quiz include 'So You Think You Can 1994?'

Great fun - at first I was just bashing names out, then tried to pick specific ones off as time ran out. Quite pleased with 75 out of 82 since one of them I couldn't spell the name of, and another has his name spelt wrong in the answer I'm afraid.....
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

I got 71/82 (86%), which isn't bad, considering I appear to have forgotten all the French drivers' names...
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Only 55/82 for me, losing my touch :(
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Stupid riddles, obscure statistics, and technicalities

1. Who drove the winning Marmon in the first Indianapolis 500?
2. What Grand Prix took place four years early?
3. Who won the 1979 French Grand Prix?
4. It obviously won't be Ascari, but who did win the most F1 races in 1952?
5. Name all the Americans in the 1958 French Grand Prix.
6. What race is between the 1975 Spanish and Austrian Grands Prix?
7. Belgium, Morocco, and Portugal; Brazil and Sweden. What country is missing from both lists?
8. Who won every race in a season of British F3000?
9. If that crash hadn't happened, Mercedes would have the record for most consecutive wins by a massive margin. What is the next longest constructor win streak that can made with a one-race bridge? (Answer in the form of the start and end races.) (Three answers, 1/3 each)
10. The Bahrain, Monaco, Azerbaijan, Singapore, and Abu Dhabi Grands Prix next year will be different from the others in what way?
11. The 1950 Italian Grand Prix is the only example of what happening in F1?
12. What is the name of the corner after the Grand Hotel hairpin? A couple days earlier and this would've been topical/festive, oh well
13. Some have failed to qualify, but a space on the grid then became available. Some were allowed to race by the stewards. One simply failed to qualify. At which race did the latter happen?
14. Name the fastest race in World Championship history that wasn't at Monza or Spa-Francorchamps.
15. Who won an F1 championship driving a Cooper then a Brabham, and when?
16. Germany 17 times, then Hungary twice, Italy once, the UK twice, France once, Spain thrice, Canada twice, and Europe once.
17. How many races of the FIA Formula One World Championship have taken place in Kenya?
18. Who finished the most laps down in the 1967 Canadian Grand Prix whilst still being classified?
19. Pau, Pergusa, Bahrain: what comes next?
20. The United States was the first country to do it, in 1971. Canada and Sweden were next in 1973. It finally became universal in 1982.
21. With his first win, Nico Rosberg beat whom by one race to become fifth all-time?
22. This year, what did Räikkönen equal Tambay in, becoming joint fourth all-time?
23. Imola is in San Marino. Where is Jarama?
24. Scarab and Eagle: name the remaining three in order.
25. Who is next in the sequence after Jules Bianchi, Felipe Massa, and Esteban Ocon?
26. What connects the 1957 Pescara and 1958 Moroccan Grands Prix? (Moss won them for Vanwall, for example, but I'm looking for something more unique.)
27. 401 starts, 0 wins.
28. The 1977 Austrian Grand Prix began and ended what record-tying streak?
29. Whose three-letter code was like that of the Schumachers?
30. Watson is the easy one, Vukovich the hardest. Who are the other two?

Deadline is a couple weeks after I stop getting answers, roughly.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

Thought i would do a quiz

1. 1982 Swiss Grand Prix was the Last of This?
2. 501 GP Separate Them?
3. Jarama's 7th is Monza's 8th and Albert Park's 13th
4. Vettel has done something noone else has?
5. Spyker has 3 time as many as Jaguar who have twice as many as Minardi ?
6. What Links Fagioli, Musso, Brooks, Lauda, De Angelis and Hill?
7.Number One is First but Number 2 Is Third?
8. Berger's First and Last were?
9. Senna Last Fastest Lap How?
10. Both Hills did this? (Its not win the championship)
11. BAR have most of these 15 in fact?
12. 29 GP's were longer then these 4?
13. 67 have had this but 2 have had it twice?
14. Pedro Diniz was the first to do this?
15. Mclaren, Ferrari. Mclaren, Ferrari, Mclaren, Ferrari, Mclaren, Ferrari. What starts and end this sequence and whats the Link?
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Aislabie wrote:The Quiz of Nations
The maximum score of 61 isn't the maximum score. You can earn bonus points by pointing out a correct answer that I don't currently have, or sometimes by answering in detail, as currently I do have some bonus-point details listed.

SPOILERS ALERT:
I've already submitted my answers to Aislabie's Nations Quiz - which I enjoyed massively, seeing as I had a chance at a decent score (and I reckon I've done OK), but while listening to Adam Khan's nation collapse at cricket, I thought I'd investigate the real answers. Some of these I suspect may have more answers than would add up to a single point - e.g. "0.16 points per answer", or technically 0.16666666(etc) points, implies there are six answers to be found.

These are the ones I've found listed below which can be highlighted (or quoted) to reveal them - note I don't just use white, I've found the HTML code for the grey background which is #F5F5F5, for future reference.

CANADA: Name all of the Canadians to have entered a Championship Grand Prix other than the Canadian GP.
Implies that there are six answers (0.166666... points per answer). I have identified at least nine, possibly ten on a technicality.

FRANCE: Name every French driver to win a World Championship Grand Prix.
Implies that there are eleven answers (0.090909... points per answer). There are twelve.

ITALY: Name every Italian constructor to have scored a podium finish.
Implies that there are five answers. There are absolutely, definitely, six.

MALAYSIA: Name every driver to drive a Caterham or “Lotus Racing” car at a Formula One weekend. There are lots.
I'd assumed this was sixteen drivers at 0.0625 points per answer, but with the crude rounding I find that 0.058823529... points for each of seventeen answers could also work. Seventeen drivers are listed on Forix for being on an entry list for Fondmetal Team Malaysia at least once.

UK: Name every British driver to have raced a Ferrari car in a World Championship Grand Prix.
Again, the implication is that twelve answers are needed (0.0833333... points each); there are ten works Ferrari drivers, three private entries and one further private entry who didn't race (DNS) for a total of thirteen (0.076923077... points each) or fourteen (0.0714285... points each) depending on how liberally the wording of the question is interpreted.

The question about Clay Regazzoni is the only one I can't work out at all even by looking it up.
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

I got another Sporcle quiz and...ohhh boy, now this one is tommykl levels of difficulty…

https://www.sporcle.com/games/WaffleCat/single-constructor-drivers-in-f1
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

CarloSpace
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CarloSpace »

WaffleCat wrote:I got another Sporcle quiz and...ohhh boy, now this one is tommykl levels of difficulty…

Have you left some answers out on purpose? Andre Lotterer and Ralph Firman were one of my first guesses and I became frustrated when they were not accepted and quit :roll:
TheFlyingCaterham

Post by TheFlyingCaterham »

WaffleCat wrote:I got another Sporcle quiz and...ohhh boy, now this one is tommykl levels of difficulty…

Got 36/200, which honestly for me isn't too bad at all.
Resident Track Designer Addict

2016 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Champion
2017 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Runner-Up

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

dinizintheoven wrote:
The maximum score of 61 isn't the maximum score. You can earn bonus points by pointing out a correct answer that I don't currently have, or sometimes by answering in detail, as currently I do have some bonus-point details listed.

*Many valid points*

CANADA - In the process of making the quiz, I managed to miss out a single Grand Prix. That Grand Prix contained several Canadians. Hurray for that.

FRANCE - My mistake entirely, I miscounted my list of correct answers and gave out the wrong number of points per question.

ITALY - There are five conventional answers, plus two extra answers that can earn bonus points. This one was intentional. So it turns out, there are absolutely definitely seven.

MALAYSIA - 0.058 rounded up to 0.06. Seventeen was the number of correct answers I found.

SWITZERLAND - The Regazzoni one is, in the words of Guy Ritchie's edition of Sherlock Holmes, "so overt it's covert".

UNITED KINGDOM - 0.077 rounded up to 0.08. Thirteen was the number of correct answers I found, although anyone who named the fourteenth, the DNS, could have earned bonus points.

I came across all of these when I was grading the previous entries, but do wish to reiterate that anyone who finds answers I missed or didn't account for gets bonus points for them. Some questions were even written with bonus points in mind.

There was one bonus point that wasn't even linked to a question, but nobody asked it either - that would have been "Where's the Singapore question?"

But on that note, I'm going to close entries to the quiz. I'll hopefully post the results tomorrow. I've had the results ready for ages, but listing all the correct answers is a long, slow job that I'm easily distracted from.
Aislabie

The "Aislabie Has Just Finished His Exams" Celebration Quiz

Post by Aislabie »

1. Image Ricardo Teixeira score zero GP2 points.
  2. Image Juan Manuel Fangio, Jose Froilan Gonzalez, Oscar Larrauri, Onofre Marimon, Gaston Mazzacane, Carlos Menditiguy, Roberto Mieres, Carlos Reutemann, Esteban Tuero and Ricardo Zunino have all driven more than ten Grands Prix.
  3. Image Alain Prost failed to win a Grand Prix in 1980 or 1991.
  4. Image Gary Brabham, Ken Kavanagh and Brian McGuire all failed to make the grid of any Formula One Grands Prix.
  5. Image Christian Klien missed the San Marino, Spanish, Monaco and European Grands Prix in 2005 because of a ride-share deal with Vitantonio Liuzzi.
  6. Image Fernando Alonso, Daniil Kvyat, Carlos Sainz and Pascal Wehrlein recorded DNFs at Baku last year.
  7. Image The Bahrain Endurance Circuit had 24 turns.
  8. Image Bertrand Gachot drove for Onyx, Rial, Coloni, Jordan, Lola, Venturi and Pacific.
  9. Image Pedro Diniz's best F1 result for Forti was seventh at Adelaide in 1995. This would have got you full marks.
    Bonus points were available for knowing that in F3000, he finished fourth at Estoril in 1994, also for Forti.
  10. Image As well as testing for Lotus Racing in 2010, Vladimir Arabadzhiev also drove for former reject Coloni in GP2.
  11. Image Okay, I messed up here. There were far, far more than I thought. Allen Berg, Peter Broeker, John Cannon, Ernie de Vos, George Eaton, Peter Ryan, Lance Stroll, Gilles Villeneuve, Jacques Villeneuve and the other Jacques Villeneuve all entered Grands Prix not in Canada. Oops. Serious bonus-point opportunity here.
  12. Image Eliseo Salazar's points finishes were 6th for Ensign at the Dutch Grand Prix in 1981 and 5th for ATS at the San Marino Grand Prix in 1982.
    (0.12 points per correct answer)
  13. Image Lewis Hamilton has won the 2008, 2011, 2014, 2015 and 2017 Chinese Grands Prix.
  14. Image Whose Ensign finished in fourth place at Jacarepagua?
    The Ensign in question actually belonged to Ricardo Londono, but was driven in the race by Marc Surer. Either gets you the point, both gets you a bonus.
  15. Image Andrea de Adamich raced for Brabham, Ferrari, March, McLaren and Surtees
  16. Image Tio Ellinas tested for Marussia in 2013.
  17. Image In his busy 2001, Tomas Enge drove in the European Le Mans Series, FIA GT Championship and International Formula 3000 as well as Formula One.
    In their busy 2001, Prost also used Jean Alesi, Luciano Burti, Heinz-Harald Frentzen and Gaston Mazzacane.
  18. Image Kevin Magnussen has competitively driven all four current F1 engines as well as finishing in the top two on debut. No other current driver has done this. There were some correct stats here, but with incorrect implications such as "never beating his first result". True, but hardly an achievement.
  19. Image 1988 was the last time we were without an F1 Finn. Keke Rosberg had retired, but JJ Lehto hadn't arrived yet.
  20. Image Jean Alesi, Rene Arnoux, Jean-Pierre Beltoise, Francois Cevert, Patrick Depailler, Jean-Pierre Jabouille, Jacques Laffite, Olivier Panis, Didier Pironi, Alain Prost, Patrick Tambay and Maurice Trintignant have all won World Championship Grands Prix. Because of an earlier error, it's possible to score twelve out of eleven on that question.
  21. Image Nick Heidfeld has finished as a Formula 1 runner-up in Australia, Belgium, Britain, Canada (twice), Germany, Malaysia and Monaco.
  22. Image King Constantine II tested a Benetton F1 car in 1990.
  23. Image At the time of asking, Lewis Hamilton had been absent from the podium only ten times since the start of the V6 turbo era. At the Monaco Grand Prix, this rose to eleven.
  24. Image Tommy Byrne, Johnny Cecotto, Eddie Cheever, Derek Daly, Roberto Guerrero, Jan Lammers, Geoff Lees, Ronnie Peterson, Keke Rosberg, Hans-Joachim Stuck, Marc Surer and Patrick Tambay were all race drivers for Theodore. Drivers for other teams operated by Teddy Yip do not count.
  25. Image Fernando Alonso, Gianmaria Bruni, Christian Klien, Felipe Massa, Giorgio Pantano and Ralf Schumacher crashed out of the 2004 United States Grand Prix.
    (0.16 points per correct answers)
  26. Image Pedro de la Rosa, Vitantonio Liuzzi, Tiago Monteiro and Daniel Ricciardo all partnered Narain Karthikeyan in F1.
  27. Image Rio Haryanto won races at the Hungaroring (in GP3), the Red Bull Ring (in GP2), Sakhir (in GP2), Silverstone (in GP2) and Shanghai (in Formula Asia 2.0), then went on to race at these venues in Formula One.
  28. Image Soheil Ayari tested for Williams in 1997.
  29. Image David Kennedy did not qualify in Argentina, Belgium, Brazil, France, Monaco, South Africa or the United States.
  30. Image There are five regular answers to which Italian constructors have scored podiums: Alfa Romeo, Dallara, Ferrari, Maserati and Toro Rosso. Also available for bonus points are Lancia (although their car was operated by Scuderia Ferrari) and Benetton (who were registered as Italian despite being historically a British constructor.
  31. Image Kamui Kobayashi and Sartoru Nakajima have the fastest lap of a Grand Prix each. Masahiro Hasemi does not.
  32. Image King Hussein bin Talal test drove a Benetton at the ripe old age of 52 at the same event as King Constantine.
  33. Image Fernando Alonso, Romain Grosjean, Lewis Hamilton, Felipe Massa, Kimi Raikkonen, Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber all recorded podiums in Korea.
  34. Image Felipe Nasr has scored points in Australia, Brazil, China, Monaco, Russia, Singapore and the United States.
  35. Image Rikky von Opel represented Liechtenstein, but was born in the United States of America.
  36. Image Ralf Schumacher was the only driver to retire from both Luxembourg Grands Prix at the Nurburgring.
  37. Image Karun Chandhok, Marcus Ericsson, Fairuz Fauzy, Robin Frijns, Kamui Kobayashi, Heikki Kovalainen, Andre Lotterer, Ma Qinghua, Roberto Merhi, Vitaly Petrov, Charles Pic, Luis Razia, Alexander Rossi, Will Stevens, Jarno Trulli, Davide Valsecchi and Geido van der Garde all drove at race weekends for the "Lotus Racing" team in either that guise or as Caterham.
  38. Image Before reaching F1, Pascal Wehrlein won DTM and ADAC Formel Masters.
  39. Image Every Mexican F1 driver has recorded World Championship points, except Moises Solana.
  40. Image Jean-Pierre Beltoise, Patrick Depailler, Olivier Panis, Alain Prost and Maurice Trintignant have all won the Monaco Grand Prix. Prost has four and Trintignant two, making a total of nine wins for France at that event.
  41. Image In finishing order, Stirling Moss, Mike Hawthorn, Phil Hill, Jo Bonnier and Harry Schell scored poinits at the 1958 Moroccan Grand Prix.
  42. Image Jos Verstappen drove for Arrows, Benetton, Footwork, Minardi, Simtek, Stewart and Footwork. Bonus points are available for Honda, whom he drove for as they built a midfield car that never raced.
  43. Image New Zealand was represented by Chris Amon, Howden Ganley, Denny Hulme and Graham McRae in the 1973 British Grand Prix.
  44. Image Adam Khan tested for Renault, who were impressed by his performances in Euroseries 3000. Half points are available for anyone who referred to it by its later name, Auto GP.
  45. Image Robert Kubica missed out on the 2008 World Drivers Championship by 23 points.
  46. Image Pedro Matos Chaves has thirteen DNPQs.
  47. Image Khalid bin Hamad Al Thani was usually a drag racer, but managed to buy a Williams F1 test.
  48. Image Russian drivers have raced for Caterham, Red Bull, Renault and Toro Rosso.
  49. Image The San Marino Grand Prix was held 26 times.
    Image There was no Singapore question.
    (1 bonus point for anyone who pointed that out)
  50. Image Neville Lederle, Tony Maggs and Jody Scheckter have all scored World Championship points for South Africa.
  51. Image Jaime Alguersuari, Fernando Alonso, Pedro de la Rosa, Marc Gene, Luis Perez-Sala and Carlos Sainz have all started more than 20 Grands Prix for Spain.
  52. Image Stefan Johansson entered Grands Prix with AGS, Ferrari, Footwork, Ligier, McLaren, Onyx, Shadow, Spirit, Toleman and Tyrrell.
  53. Image Clay Regazzoni raced his first Grand Prix for Scuderia Ferrari. Nobody else has done this in 47 years since.
  54. Image Prince Bira was married six times to five different women. What a lad.
    (0.5 points for each correct answer)
  55. Image Jason Tahinci (also known as Tahincioglu) entered 52 GP2 races without earning a point. This figure includes the GP2 Asia Series.
  56. Image Lewis Hamilton, Kimi Raikkonen, Nico Rosberg and Sebastian Vettel have won the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.
  57. Image Cliff Allison, Derek Bell, Tony Brooks, Peter Collins, Mike Hawthorn, Eddie Irvine, Nigel Mansell, Mike Parkes, Reg Parnell, Roy Salvadori, John Surtees, Peter Whitehead and Jonathan Williams have raced a Ferrari car in a World Championship Grand Prix. Bonus points for Brian Shawe-Taylor who did not start.
  58. Image COTA, Indianapolis, Phoenix, Riverside, Sebring, Watkins Glen have hosted the United States Grand Prix. Several other circuits have hosted Grands Prix in the United States, but under different race titles.
  59. Image In 2002's Swiss Formula Ford season, Adrian Sutil won every race in the season from pole position. I gave out half-points for winning every race.
  60. Image Pastor Maldonado has failed to finish 32 Grands Prix, although he was classified on four of those occasions because he completed 90% of the race distance.
  61. Image John Love's solitary Grand Prix in 1964 turned out to be unique for three reasons, not just the two I first found. It was the only time he failed to qualify, the only time he raced outside of Africa and the only time he drove for a factory team. A score of three out of two was possible here.

Aislabie wrote:
  • The maximum score of 61 isn't the maximum score. You can earn bonus points by pointing out a correct answer that I don't currently have, or sometimes by answering in detail, as currently I do have some bonus-point details listed.
  • You don't lose points for incorrect guesses, so a wrong answer is better than no answer at all.
  • If I ask you to give ten answers, I will only accept your first ten - right or wrong.

And now, the scores...
  1. Tommykl - 46.99 points
  2. Simtek - 46.07 points
  3. Bleu - 40.22 points
  4. Dinizintheoven - 36.25 points
  5. Ataxia - 33.40 points
  6. Carlospace - 30.20 points
  7. Wafflecat - 29.00 points
  8. Yannicksamlad - 29.00 points
  9. Watka - 28.91 points
  10. Peteroli34 - 26.93 points
  11. Novitopoli - 26.25 points

Open this image in a new tab for a more detailed summary:

I'm aware that after I PMed some of you your scores, there has been a small recount. This is why you may have a slightly different score. I don't think it changed any of the finishing positions.

Thank you all for taking part. I have no idea when my next quiz will occur, but there will hopefully be another in the near future.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

I regret to announced that I will be formally appealing the results of Aislabie's quiz, on the basis that this passage received no marks for the Morocco question:

Two years out of cars, and he'd done it. "Two Wheels" McClenaghan, face painted with oil and dirt, dragged his recalcitrant Cooper across the line in 5th place. The front grill was dribbling with hay, and the charismatic Irishman heavily dragged himself out of the cockpit and laid down on a trackside bale.
"Ya did it, Wheels!" cried Ginger Matthews, his main mechanic. "Ya bloody did it!"
"...pffft...jaaaaaysus I need a drink" whispered McClenaghan. "Ask yer man there to get me one, thanks Ginge".
"On it."
"Two Wheels" closed his eyes. He couldn't quite summon the energy to get up; his back was giving him great discomfort and his hands were blistered, erupting in pain. Ginger returned with a bottle of whisky, and a couple of glasses.
"Hero. Thanks, Ginge."
"Aye, I wanted one anyway!"
It was a rare moment of tranquility. After 53 laps of dragging a damaged car around the streets of Casablanca, McClenaghan felt at peace. The bubble burst slightly; an adenoidal voice cut through the atmosphere like the chime of an unwelcome alarm clock.
"Er, excuse me Mr. McClenaghan, er, Mike, erm, Peter Richards with the Daily Express, can I have a quick chat?"
"..aye, g'wan then."
"Okay, great, erm...I mean, first of course, wow, that was some race out there! How on earth did you manage that?"
"Two Wheels" thought for a moment. He stared at his whisky, rolling it around the cut glass receptacle before taking an assured sip. He let out a sigh of contentment as the 15-year-old liquid slipped down his throat.
"Ya see, Peter. If I knew the answer to that, I'd have had a hell of a lot more success in my racing career. I drove like I did today because...bathplug it, it felt good. It felt right to me, y'know?"
"Right."
"I've been out for two years, as you probably know. I wanted to come back, shag that car around the track like nobody's business, and show the world that Two Wheels can do it with four."
McClenaghan took another sip of his whisky. The cool glass felt good against his worn hands, and the burning sensation in his mouth took the edge off of the adrenaline still pumping around his body.
"Okay, erm, Mike." said Peter, nervously writing down McClenaghan's words with a worn pencil. "Thanks, I'll let you, er, get back to it."
"Thanks Peter. Want a quick drink? Ginge can get ya another glass if you want..."
"Oh, thanks but, erm, I'm working, sorry! I, er, really shouldn't...thanks though"
"No problem."
Peter retreated back to the pitlane, dropping his notepad en-route back to the garages.
"New fella d'ya think, Ginge?"
"I've seen journalists do that funny writing before, shorthand or something? Definitely new, he was writing everything you said in full."
"Good lad, though."

It is irrefutable that Michael "Two Wheels" McClenaghan did in fact come 5th in the 1958 Moroccan Grand Prix, which has been proven by the yet-to-be-written memoir "The Double Life of Two Wheels McClenaghan".

I thought you were cool, Aislabie.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

I'd also like to point out that Clay Regazzoni was not the last person to make his début for Ferrari. Arturo Merzario was. :P

But goddamn, the Londono question should have been obvious to me (got the Surer part but still :facepalm:).
#FreeGonzo
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Simtek wrote:I'd also like to point out that Clay Regazzoni was not the last person to make his début for Ferrari. Arturo Merzario was. :P

Oh shite. I trawled through Ferrari drivers for hours* to make sure that was true, and it wasn't.
*possibly not quite hours

Excluding the Switzerland question means that you win by 0.08 points, but that feels unfair.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

If there's a bonus point for pointing out the lack of a Singapore question (for whatever reason), then can I have a bonus point for pointing out there was also no question for Algeria, which could have featured Pierre-Henri Raphanel, who was born there, even if it was before independence from France? I mean, if we're going to have Alain Prost representing Armenia, Lewis Hamilton for Grenada and Adrian Sutil for Uruguay (none of whom were born in those countries), surely Bugatti's finest test driver (just ahead of James May) could feature.
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

dinizintheoven wrote:If there's a bonus point for pointing out the lack of a Singapore question (for whatever reason), then can I have a bonus point for pointing out there was also no question for Algeria, which could have featured Pierre-Henri Raphanel, who was born there

Yes you can!
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Alright, enough Sporcle quizzes from me. It's about time for one on Grand Prix Rejects, featuring every single Grand Prix in Formula One, including their non-Championship and non-F1 incarnations...

The Grand Prix Quiz
Time to question y'all on each and every 'Grand Prix' title Formula One has ever had...

Abu Dhabi
Well, before the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, there was a Dubai Grand Prix in 1981. Though nothing more than an exhibition, fifteen Formula One drivers of the past and of the day were on the entry list. Name those fifteen.(0.06 points per answer, BONUS for those in the race but not on the entry list)

Argentine
The 1971 Argentine Grand Prix was a non-championship race for what reason?

Australian
Three F1 World Championship drivers were three-time winners of the Australian Grand Prix before it became a World Championship Event. Name the three.
(0.33 per answer)

Austrian
The non-Championship 1963 Austrian Grand Prix was the last attempted Grand Prix for five drivers. Name them.
(0.2 per answer)

Bahrain
Simple this. Name the top three drivers in the first ever timed session at Sakhir.
(0.33 per answer)

Belgian
The two Grands Prix at Nivelles had relatively few retirements for the day. The question is, which driver failed to finish both races at Nivelles?
(Answer DOES NOT include non-classifications)

Brazillian
When Interlagos altered the circuit to 4.3 km from the original 7.9 km, three corners were now taken, partially or in full, in reverse direction. Name these three turns.
(0.33 per answer)

British
The original track layout at Silverstone, host of the 1948 British Grand Prix, had two long straights down the runways leading to tight hairpins. Name these straights.
(0.5 per answer)

Caesars Palace
A winner at a Caesars Palace Grand Prix went on to test for Brabham in 1986. Who was this driver and why was this test significant?
(0.5 per answer, BONUS 0.25 for the amazing piece of trivia I found out about this guy as well)

Canadian
Three drivers have come afoul of groundhogs on Ile-Notre Dame during the Canadian Grand Prix. Name these three drivers.
(0.33 per answer)

Chinese
Most people here know F1 originally intended to go to Zhuhai International Circuit before plans were axed. Former F1 Driver Roberto Moreno does hold the ultimate lap record at Zhuhai, though, but what series did the car come from?

Dallas
The only Formula One Dallas Grand Prix featured an all-Lotus front row for the first time since which race?

Detroit
Detroit is boring. Codemasters isn't. In Codemasters' Race Driver: GRID, they used an altered layout of the Detroit Street Circuit used in F1. The question is, from which turn to which turn did the track layout remain unchanged from real life to GRID?
(Using Aislabie's pain in the neck system of one point for the answer, minus 0.1 for every turn off)

Dutch
The Dutch Grand Prix was always held at Zandvoort Circuit, whose design was influenced by who?

European
The European Grands Prix in 1983 and 1993 were held because two circuits were scrapped off the provisional calendar. What were these two circuits?
(0.5 per answer)

French
Paul Ricard's return to hosting the French Grand Prix in 2018 is the third longest gap between two F1 Championship races at a venue. Name the venues with the longest and second-longest gaps.
(0.5 per answer)

German
The 1960 German Grand Prix was a Formula Two event instead of Formula One, using a track never used for F1 before or since. What is this track?

Hungarian
Which turns from the original Hungaroring track layout have been altered since the first Grand Prix held at the venue in 1986?
(Not disclosing how many points per answer, because that'd be a dead giveaway)

Indian
In 2003, which city agreed to host the Indian Grand Prix in 2007 before the project was declared dead?

Indanapolis 500
No, I'm not ignoring this race for once. Instead, I ask, which driver scored the most Formula One Points whilst competing solely in the Indy 500, and how many points did he score?
(0.5 per answer)

Italian
What was the last track to host the Italian Grand Prix that wasn't Monza or Imola?

Japanese
The 1976 and 1977 Japanese Grands Prix featured several one-off Japanese entries. Name all of them.
(0.2 per answer)

Korean
Everyone knows that the Korean Grand Prix was an absolute failure money-wise. To the nearest million, name the amount of money the Grand Prix lost in four years in Pound Sterling.

Luxembourg
Back in the 1940's-1950's, there were four Luxembourg Grands Prix, actually held in Luxembourg. Name the four winners of this event.
(0.25 per answer)

Malaysian
Which former Malaysian Grand Prix winner has the unique distinction of winning the Macau Grand Prix in open-wheelers, motorcycles and Touring Cars?

Mexican
The baseball stadium integrated into the Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez, Foro Sol, has held numerous concerts. Which act attracted the highest confirmed audience to the stadium?

Monaco
Name all non-Championship Monaco Grand Prix winners. NON-Championship.
(0.09 per answer)

Moroccan
What disease sidelined Stirling Moss and hampered Juan Manuel Fangio's performance in the 1957 Moroccan Grand Prix?

Pacific
Including non-F1 events, which two circuits have hosted the 'Pacific Grand Prix'?
(0.5 per answer)

Pescara
In the 1957 Pescara Grand Prix, the only such event to be a part of the World Championship, what did the paddock suggest that Maserati used to gain an incredible pace advantage in practice?

Portuguese
The Portuguese Grands Prix seemed to be a red-flag magnet in my opinion. In-between 1986 and 1992, how many red flags were shown during the course of the race?

Russian
Before the Russian Grand Prix was implemented in 2014, what year was a Russian Grand Prix included in a provisional calendar, but scrapped?

San Marino
The Grand Prix was dropped from the calendar in 2007 to 'make way' for another Grand Prix? Which Grand Prix did San Marino have to scoot aside for?

Singapore
No, I'm not gonna talk about Thomson Road. Instead, I'll talk about Marina Bay. More specifically, turn 18. This turn is notorious for catching drivers out going under the grandstand. Name all the victims of the barrier at turn 18.
(0.11 per answer)

South African
The 1981 South African Grand Prix was almost the start of a breakaway championship by FOCA in the midst of the FISA-FOCA war, but the idea for the championship was scrapped due to poor attendance. What was the name that this championship would've been run under?

Spanish
The 1980 Spanish Grand Prix was yet another race declared a non-championship race due to the withdrawal of FISA teams. This denied one driver of their only championship points. Who was he?

Swedish
The Swedish hosted several non-championship races before 1956. What was the official name of these events?

Swiss
The three Swiss Grand Prix from 1950 to 1952 saw a career-ending incident in each event. Whose careers was cut short by these incidents?
(0.33 per answer)

Turkish
Why was there a $5 million fine on the national sporting council of Turkey and the Turkish Grand Prix organisers after the 2006 running of the event?

United States
How many years has there been a running of a Grand Prix within the United States without an actual United States Grand Prix?

United States West
The United States West Grand Prix was held at the Long Beach Street Circuit throughout it's existence on the calendar. Thus, name the podium of the first ever race at Long Beach.
(0.33 per answer)

Bonus points can be added for extra detail/good ol' comedy, answers will come out in a few weeks. In the meantime, go ahead and PM me your answers.

novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

68/200 at the one-constructor drivers quiz.

Let's say 69, since I couldn't be able to spell one of the names right :D
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
Chrisdude

Post by Chrisdude »

These quizzes are flipping brilliant, especially the forum ones, but if anyone feels like any more Sporcle ones, I have a few: https://www.sporcle.com/user/chrisdude/quizzes/
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Chrisdude wrote:These quizzes are flipping brilliant, especially the forum ones, but if anyone feels like any more Sporcle ones, I have a few: https://www.sporcle.com/user/chrisdude/quizzes/

Past teammates of 2010 drivers: 125/134
Japanese Grand Prix podium finishers: 89/96
Most experienced drivers' teammates: 104/117
Won the race, not the Championship: 38/41
Brazilian Grand Prix podium finishers: 127/132
Formula One flag meanings: 11/11
Most starts per constructor: 31/36
F1 points on debut: 24/35
Hungarian Grand Prix podium finishers: 93/93 (08:58 remaining)
Renault-engined F1 cars: 49(+6)/65
Michael Schumacher didn't win: 9*/11 (for some reason it wouldn't accept any name for Korea)
Sauber F1 drivers: 26/27
Championship deciding circuits: 65/67 (forgot Aintree and Boavista)
Tyrrell F1 drivers: 30/43 (very difficult)
F1 Grands Prix from clues: 14/21
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

Past teammates of 2010 drivers: 118/134
Japanese Grand Prix podium finishers: 87/96
Most experienced drivers' teammates: 102/117
Won the race, not the Championship: 32/41
Brazilian Grand Prix podium finishers: 125/132
Formula One flag meanings: 9/11 (managed to hit the wrong button twice.)
Most starts per constructor: 25/36
F1 points on debut: 21/35 (very difficult)
Hungarian Grand Prix podium finishers: 89/93
Renault-engined F1 cars: 52/65
Michael Schumacher didn't win: 5(7)/11 (didn't accept Jeongnam and Austin)
Sauber F1 drivers: 27/27
Championship deciding circuits: 61/67 (have actually only forgotten three circuits)
Tyrrell F1 drivers: 29/43
F1 Grands Prix from clues: 13/21
F1 Grands Prix from clues 2: 16/23
F1 Constructors from first and last GP: 24/30 (but Renault ain't right anymore...)
F1 Letter A - 23/24
F1 Letter B - 23/24 (let's say 24, couldn't spell the other one right :D)
F1 Letter C - 15/24
F1 Letter D - 11/19

Man, I'm bad.
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

UncreativeUsername37

Stupid riddles, obscure statistics, and technicalities

1. Who drove the winning Marmon in the first Indianapolis 500?
Ray Harroun and Cyrus Patschke. Relief drivers are drivers too.

2. What Grand Prix took place four years early?
This actually isn't related to F1, or even cars. The answer is the Expo '92 Grand Prix, presumably due to Jerez being near Seville... but the race was in 1988, so it didn't really make much sense.

3. Who won the 1979 French Grand Prix?
Jean-Pierre Jabouille. This was too easy.

4. It obviously won't be Ascari, but who did win the most F1 races in 1952?
Luigi Villoresi, who won two of seven races.

5. Name all the Americans in the 1958 French Grand Prix.
Each driver at least one person knew, but no one got them all: Phil Hill, Troy Ruttman (yes, really), Harry Schell, and Carroll Shelby.

6. What race is between the 1975 Spanish and Austrian Grands Prix?
1975 Spain was the second shortest race in terms of time, and 1975 Austria was fourth. The answer is the 2009 Malaysian Grand Prix.

7. Belgium, Morocco, and Portugal; Brazil and Sweden. What country is missing from both lists?
The Netherlands. 1958 and 1973 were the two years the championship calendar expanded by three races, and those were the Grands Prix added.

8. Who won every race in a season of British F3000?
Dino Morelli won every race in the 1997 "season", which had one race with three cars. This is the best easily findable webpage about it.

9. If that crash hadn't happened, Mercedes would have the record for most consecutive wins by a massive margin. What is the next longest constructor win streak that can made with a one-race bridge? (Answer in the form of the start and end races.) (Three answers, 1/3 each)
1988 Brazil to Australia (aka 1988), Italy 2003 to Hungary 2004, and perhaps depressingly, Monaco 2016 to Abu Dhabi 2016.

10. The Bahrain, Monaco, Azerbaijan, Singapore, and Abu Dhabi Grands Prix next year will be different from the others in what way?
Their names aren't demonyms. Yep.

11. The 1950 Italian Grand Prix is the only example of what happening in F1?
There were a lot more things unique to this race than I realised, and this question has therefore been excluded.

12. What is the name of the corner after the Grand Hotel hairpin?
Mirabeau Bas. Any phrasing like "low Mirabeau" was accepted.

13. Some have failed to qualify, but a space on the grid then became available. Some were allowed to race by the stewards. One simply failed to qualify. At which race did the latter happen?
These are situations where a driver initially didn't qualify, but ended up racing somehow. Therefore this is all an elaborate reference to Hans Heyer, and the answer is the 1977 German Grand Prix.

14. Name the fastest race in World Championship history that wasn't at Monza or Spa-Francorchamps.
The 1985 British Grand Prix. Nothing that crazy, just the last race at a quick layout.

15. Who won an F1 championship driving a Cooper then a Brabham, and when?
John Love, winning the 1967 South African F1 championship with two different constructors.

16. Germany 17 times, then Hungary twice, Italy once, the UK twice, France once, Spain thrice, Canada twice, and Europe once.
The race before the Austrian Grand Prix.

17. How many races of the FIA Formula One World Championship have taken place in Kenya?
Zero. This was a double bluff and no one fell for it.

18. Who finished the most laps down in the 1967 Canadian Grand Prix whilst still being classified?
Mike Fisher. Like all mysterious 1960s drivers, he totally needs a profile.

19. Pau, Pergusa, Bahrain: what comes next?
These are IF3000/GP2 races independent of F1 weekends, and the next one down is Valencia.

20. The United States was the first country to do it, in 1971. Canada and Sweden were next in 1973. It finally became universal in 1982.
Timing races to milliseconds. I was looking through a book and wondered why the US had more decimals, having assumed it all changed at once. So I looked to see when everyone changed. I still don't know why, though. So yeah, I didn't know this before I made the question. Not that that's not true of most of these.

21. With his first win, Nico Rosberg beat whom by one race to become fifth all-time?
Most of you got this was going to be races before a win, but only one got Giancarlo Fisichella.

22. This year, what did Räikkönen equal Tambay in, becoming joint fourth all-time?
First-lap retirements. Because it wasn't going to be anything worth knowing.

23. Imola is in San Marino. Where is Jarama?
This is another motorcycle question. It hosted the Portuguese GP in 1987, but more recently in 1993, it was the track of the FIM Grand Prix, and so the answer is Switzerland.

24. Scarab and Eagle: name the remaining three in order.
It isn't American constructors! You've all missed that Rodger Ward drove a Kurtis Kraft midget (somehow) in the 1959 USGP. The real answer is pun-based: Wolf, Jaguar, and Red Bull.

25. Who is next in the sequence after Jules Bianchi, Felipe Massa, and Esteban Ocon?
Alexander Rossi. They're drivers whose personal numbers are prime.

26. What connects the 1957 Pescara and 1958 Moroccan Grands Prix? (Moss won them for Vanwall, for example, but I'm looking for something more unique.)
They were the only (championship) running of their Grand Prix. Maybe there's other stuff (I didn't bother to check peteroli34's answer), but that's the simplest one.

27. 401 starts, 0 wins.
Japan. Simple as that.

28. The 1977 Austrian Grand Prix began and ended what record-tying streak?
It was the end of a five-race streak of wins by different constructors within the same year, and also the start of one. There were some cute answers but nothing I accepted.

29. Whose three-letter code was like that of the Schumachers?
The other driver to have the first letter of their given name and last two letters of their family name as their code was Ma Qinghua.

30. Watson is the easy one, Vukovich the hardest. Who are the other two?
Alonso and Barrichello. These four drivers have won from a unique grid position: Watson is the easy one, Vukovich doesn't need explaining, Alonso from 15th at the 2008 Singapore GP, and Barrichello from 18th at the 2000 German GP.

Scores
1. Simtek (8 1/3)
2. peteroli34 (7)
3. yannicksamlad (5)
4. Aislabie (2 2/3)
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

You've got another week or two to answer my quiz before I release the answers in good old tommykl style, just so you can see how well you did question by question!

WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

I've been sitting on the answers to my latest quiz for a long, long time now. So without further delay, here are...

Answers To The Grand Prix Quiz

Abu Dhabi
Well, before the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, there was a Dubai Grand Prix in 1981. Though nothing more than an exhibition, fifteen Formula One drivers of the past and of the day were on the entry list. Name those fifteen.(0.06 points per answer, BONUS for those in the race but not on the entry list)
TheFlyingCaterham wrote: NO ANSWER

yannicksamlad wrote:Entry list; Patrese, Jones , De Angelis, Pironi, Mansell , Cheever, Arnoux, Giacomelli, De Cesaris, Daly, Tambay , Winkelhock, Watson, Mass, Alboreto.

Simtek wrote:I had previously heard of this but, truth be told, I know nothing of the participants. So I'll just throw in some famous names: Fangio, Moss, Brabham, Stewart, Fittipaldi, Scheckter, Lauda, Hunt, Jones, Surtees, Hulme, Andretti, Reutemann, Ickx and... Watson

Aislabie wrote:Well I'll be damned if I know anything here, but I'll have a random stab in the dark:
SOME EIGHTIES F1 DRIVERS
Patrick Tambay
Marc Surer
Beppe Gabbiani
Keke Rosberg
Ricardo Londono
Andrea de Cesaris
Teo Fabi
Corrado Fabi
Carlos Reutemann
SOME RANDOM F1 LEGENDS
Jackie Stewart
Jack Brabham
Jacky Ickx
Dan Gurney
Bob Bondurant
Phil Hill
Juan Manuel Fangio
Stirling Moss
That's probably too many. Sorry.

That was too many, Aislabie, but you did get the most correct, including a few non-entrant list participants like Marc Surer and Phil Hill. John Watson, Denny Hulme, Jack Brabham, John Surtees, Keke Rosberg and Dan Gurney were all on the entry list for those y'all got correct, though y'all also missed out on household names like Innes Ireland, Roy Salvadori, Carroll Shelby, Richard Attwood, Derek Bell and the legendary Brian Henton. Other bonus answers would have been Helmut Marko and the revolutionary Dave Kennedy, obviously only present at Dubai just so he can actually start a motor race for once.

Argentine
The 1971 Argentine Grand Prix was a non-championship race for what reason?
TheFlyingCaterham wrote:Wasn't it a custom of the time that Grands Prix would have their first running under non-championship conditions so that FISA could make sure the organisation and whatever would be satisfactory for full championship status or something like that. Basically a dress rehearsal.

yannicksamlad wrote:Because you had to have a 'proper race' there before you could have championship race...?

Simtek wrote: To prove it could host a world championship round, as was the standard for new or returning Grands Prix at the time.

Aislabie wrote:Because the rules at the time required a trial run of a Grand Prix at any venue not on the calendar.

All of you pretty much hit the nail on the head here. No explanation needed, move right along.

Australian
Three F1 World Championship drivers were three-time winners of the Australian Grand Prix before it became a World Championship Event. Name the three.
(0.33 per answer)
Aislabie wrote:Jack Brabham, Bruce McLaren, Ken Kavanagh

TheFlyingCaterham wrote:I know Alan Jones was one (in 1980 I think), and I'll guess the other two were Jack Brabham and Vern Schuppan?

yannicksamlad wrote:Jones, Jack Brabham , Amon.

Simtek wrote:Brabham, McLaren and Moreno?

Y'all got Jack Brabham right, though only Simtek could nail Roberto Moreno's impressive three-peat in Ralt RT4's. The third driver that was left forgotten was the one-time starter, Graham McRae, who won in '72, '73 and '78. McLaren caught you guys out, having only won the non-championship race twice, Amon actually won a Grand Prix (shocker), but only once in 1969, Schuppan didn't win at all, and I have no idea out of what hat you pulled the rabbit of Ken Kavanagh from, Aislabie.

Austrian
The non-Championship 1963 Austrian Grand Prix was the last attempted Grand Prix for five drivers. Name them.
(0.2 per answer)
TheFlyingCaterham wrote:NO ANSWER

yannicksamlad wrote:No idea.

Aislabie wrote:I remember reading in someone's signature that everything comes back to Peter Arundell, so him. Maybe someone notable... Jo Bonnier? Someone with a name I like... Pete Lovely. There should always be an Argentine... Nasif Estefano (he was an F3 driver by 1967, but I remember he tried GPs before that). And someone from an alt-championship I've been doing... Jim Hall.

Simtek wrote:There was an Austrian driver who was killed the following year and whose name escapes me. He's the only one I can think of, too...

The one Austrian driver Simtek got the description of (which earns him 0.1 points) was the lovely named Kurt Bardi-Barry, who would have his last GP start at this race alongside Ian Burgess, Ernesto Prinoth,Gunther Seiffert and the lesser-known Parnell, Tim Parnell. Also, lovely shoutout to Aislabie's logical but plain awful guesswork. It ended nicely -- Hall's last race was in Mexico that year, Estefano's in the Grand Prix of Rome that year as well -- but the rest of the guesses were way off. Lovely's and Bonnier's careers ended in 1971, and Arundell didn't even START a World Championship Race until the FOLLOWING year.

Bahrain
Simple this. Name the top three drivers in the first ever timed session at Sakhir.
(0.33 per answer)

Aislabie wrote:I feel like this is a trap. Logic says Michael Schumacher, Jenson Button and Juan Pablo Montoya, but creative flair says Richard Hammond, Jeremy Clarkson and James May.

yannicksamlad wrote:Schumacher, Barrichello , Coulthard

Simtek wrote:Schumacher (the one with the red hat) is the safe guess, but then again it's a practice session. For the others, Barrichello and... bathplug it, Button.

To quote Nelson Muntz...HA HA. YOU ALL FELL FOR IT. Yes, Schumacher obviously was fastest in first free practice, Barrichello tagged along for the ride, but in third wasn't Button nor Montoya nor Coulthard. The guy didn't even start a race that season. Of course, I'm talking about the landmark third driver for BAR that season, Anthony Davidson.

Belgian
The two Grands Prix at Nivelles had relatively few retirements for the day. The question is, which driver failed to finish both races at Nivelles?
(Answer DOES NOT include non-classifications)

Simtek wrote:I know for a fact that Stoffel Vandoorne did not finish either race.

yannicksamlad wrote:Migault? ( He drove unreliable cars..)

Aislabie wrote:Literally no idea. Probably a local. Jacky Ickx maybe?

And just by stabbing wildly in the dark, Aislabie gets the correct answer. Ickx suffered fuel injection troubles in 1972 and pulled out of 1974's running with overheating issues. Migault did retire from 1974, but his Connew didn't enter a race until later in 1972. Also, I would have counted Stoffel on a technicatlity, but come on. His mother wasn't even impregnated yet.

Brazillian
When Interlagos altered the circuit to 4.3 km from the original 7.9 km, three corners were now taken, partially or in full, in reverse direction. Name these three turns.
(0.33 per answer)
Simtek wrote: I can't even remember half the corner names at Interlagos... Er, Descido do Lago and Curva do Sol are ones I both remember the names of and know they were run in the opposite direction back in the day. And I'll say Mergulho for filler.

yannicksamlad wrote:What is now T3, Descida do Lago and Pinheirinha?

Aislabie wrote:I don't know the names of the turns at Interlagos, so we're going to have to do it by description:
The left-hander (turn 3?) at the end of the Senna S.
The double-apex left-hander (turns 4 and 5?) at the end of that straight.
The big sweeping right-hander (turn 6?) at the end of that straight.

TheFlyingCaterham wrote:3rd part of the Senna S, turn 5 (since technically turn 4 is a new turn altogether) and the first part of turn 6 (I don't remember the proper names.

Yep. Descida do Lago, Curva del Sol and the escapble name of Ferra Dura were the turns taken in a completely different direction come the revamp of Interlagos

British
The original track layout at Silverstone, host of the 1948 British Grand Prix, had two long straights down the runways leading to tight hairpins. Name these straights.
(0.5 per answer)
yannicksamlad wrote:Hangar and Return to Hangar?

Aislabie wrote:Hangar Straight, and the current pit straight whose name I cannot remember further than that.

TheFlyingCaterham wrote:Seaman and Seagrave Straights.

Simtek wrote:Henry and Richard seem like nice names (okay, you can probably see where I'm getting at: Segrave and Seaman)

The two original straights on the runways leading to the tight hairpins were indeed Seaman and Segrave (not Seagrave, but I'll still pay points for that) straights, named after pre-war British racing legends Dick Seaman and Henry Segrave. And though I would give an arm and a leg for Silverstone to name one of their straights as 'Return to Hangar', Hangar and Farm straights are on the perimeter roads, not the runways man...

Caesars Palace
A winner at a Caesars Palace Grand Prix went on to test for Brabham in 1986. Who was this driver and why was this test significant?
(0.5 per answer, BONUS 0.25 for the amazing piece of trivia I found out about this guy as well)
Aislabie wrote:Someone with a memorable name: Sneva. Don't have a first name.
Significant because he Sneva actually got a race seat

yannicksamlad wrote:Alan Jones , before deciding to retire?

TheFlyingCaterham wrote:I don't know the answer to the question at all, but something tells me you mean one of the CART races that was held there in 1983 and 1984.

Simtek wrote:Ah, yes, Willy T. Ribbs. The first African-American to do... a lot of things related to racing, driving an F1 car, driving an Indy car...

Whilst Aislabie probably got the PMMF and real-life mixed up, TheFlyingCaterham got the gist of the answer and Simtek himself got the actual answer, Willy T. Ribbs, winner of the 1983 Caesar's Palace Grand Prix in CART. And yep, being the first black driver in an F1 car got you points, but the extra bonus trivia I was looking for-which I doubt any of you would've gotten- was that the school in the Disney Channel Show "The Proud Family" was named after him. Not lying, look it up.

Canadian
Three drivers have come afoul of groundhogs on Ile-Notre Dame during the Canadian Grand Prix. Name these three drivers.
(0.33 per answer)

yannicksamlad wrote:Kovaleinan...?

Simtek wrote:Ant Davidson, most famously... I definitely know there were more but can't name names...

Aislabie wrote:Anthony Davidson, Nico Hulkenberg, Gilles Villeneuve

Almost everyone knows the story of the one Anthony Davidson incident back in 2007, but y'all missed the fact that good old Ralf Schumacher suffered the same fate as Davidson in practice for the same race. And before that, you have to cast your VHS tapes way back to 1990 to see Alessandro Nannini denied of a podium thanks to a lovely groundhog.

Chinese
Most people here know F1 originally intended to go to Zhuhai International Circuit before plans were axed. Former F1 Driver Roberto Moreno does hold the ultimate lap record at Zhuhai, though, but what series did the car come from?
TheFlyingCaterham wrote:BPR Global GT Series?

yannicksamlad wrote:F3000?

Aislabie wrote:A1GP

Simtek wrote:One of the American open wheel series, Champ Car, I suppose, they were always the more global.

Out of all the series posed as answers, of course it would be the one series that didn't actually run on Zhuhai. Roberto Moreno took a Champ Car out onto the Zhuhai circuit as part of a demonstration event for a future Asian race there, but the IRL/ChampCar merger took place before those plans came to fruition.

Dallas
The only Formula One Dallas Grand Prix featured an all-Lotus front row for the first time since which race?

Aislabie wrote:1967 Britich GP, because Clark

Simtek wrote:It starts with 19, then I'm pretty sure there's a 7. If so, the last digit has to be 8. The race in question, I will guess, was Austria.

yannicksamlad wrote:Dutch 1978?

Aislabie was more than a whole decade off. Simtek, though, was only one race off, with the last occasion actually occuring at the very next race, the 1978 Dutch Grand Prix. Congrats to yannick on that one.

Detroit
Detroit is boring. Codemasters isn't. In Codemasters' Race Driver: GRID, they used an altered layout of the Detroit Street Circuit used in F1. The question is, from which turn to which turn did the track layout remain unchanged from real life to GRID?
(Using Aislabie's pain in the neck system of one point for the answer, minus 0.1 for every turn off)
Simtek wrote:1 through 9 (I haven't the faintest idea)

Aislabie wrote:Don't know. Turns one to ten.

yannicksamlad wrote:No idea

TheFlyingCaterham wrote:Aha a circuit question I should know this. It would be from Turn 9 or Turn 10 (although the turn is approached from different carriageways) to either Turn 18 (the chicanes are completely different between the Grid game and the actual circuit), Turn 1 (the corners here are much more rounded in the game) or halfway between Turn 1 & 2. I've made like five answers, I know, but I don't know what you're going off so I'm just putting forwards all the possible answers you could mean.

The one man who's been skipping all the questions actually gets a bonus here for providing all possible options to the question at hand with differences in real-life and in game. I was looking for turn 10 to turn 1, with a few creative liberties on Codemasters' part.

Dutch
The Dutch Grand Prix was always held at Zandvoort Circuit, whose design was influenced by who?

Aislabie wrote:Bernard Eccles-Cake

yannicksamlad wrote:Mr Hugenholtz.

Simtek wrote:John Hugenholtz is the one who usually gets credited with this, but it was really Sammy Davis who was behind it, although the original roads were built by the Wehrmacht.

[insert QI klaxon]. NOPE, it wasn't the Hugenholtz that designed it despite being on the track committee. It was in fact former 24 hours of Le Mans winner Sammy Davis, no relation to the jazz singer.

European
The European Grands Prix in 1983 and 1993 were held because two circuits were scrapped off the provisional calendar. What were these two circuits?
(0.5 per answer)
yannicksamlad wrote:Buenos Aires?....and Paul Ricard.

Aislabie wrote:Jerez. Literally no idea about that one. I'm going to say New York because it makes very little sense but everyone always wants a race in NYC

Simtek wrote:Moscow and New York (funny, there was a thread on Autosport about the proposed circuits for these races only a couple of days ago) were both on the provisional calendar for 1983, and... Autopolis didn't make the provisional calendar in '93, did it?

TheFlyingCaterham wrote:I'm going to guess 1983 was Flushing Meadows, but I I know 1993 would be Autopolis.

Again, by wild stab in the dark, Aislabie gets an answer half correct this time, with the New York Grand Prix axed from the calendar just four months before it was due to be held, thus the European Grand Prix at Brands Hatch was the gap filler. And for 1993, Autopolis was indeed scheduled, under the moniker of the 'Asian Grand Prix', but for the reason that it's probably easier to climb Mount Fuji than to actually reach Autopolis, Donington Park went ahead and tooks its place.

French
Paul Ricard's return to hosting the French Grand Prix in 2018 is the third longest gap between two F1 Championship races at a venue. Name the venues with the longest and second-longest gaps.
(0.5 per answer)
yannicksamlad wrote:Nurburgring and Hockenheim ?

Aislabie wrote:Indianapolis Motor Speedway
Magdalena-Mixhouca / Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez

TheFlyingCaterham wrote:The gap would be from 1990 to 2018, so nearly 30 years. The circuits with the biggest gaps would be the Fuji Speedway (1977-2007) and Indianapolis (1960-2000).

Simtek wrote:As you specifically said F1 Championship, I shall assume Indianapolis (40 years) doesn't count. There were 30 years between visits to Fuji and my, how it's changed. As for the other... you did mean Indianapolis, didn't you?

Yes Simtek, no need for confusion. I did indeed mean Indianapolis and Fuji. Mexico City was only off the calendar for a paltry 23 years. And no, just no to Hockenheim and Nurburgring.

German
The 1960 German Grand Prix was a Formula Two event instead of Formula One, using a track never used for F1 before or since. What is this track?
Aislabie wrote:Norisring

yannicksamlad wrote:Eifelrennan?

TheFlyingCaterham wrote:Nurburgring Sudschleife?

Simtek wrote:Technically speaking, the track had been used by F1 before... Okay, the start/finish straight and the bit leading up to the last corner was. Yes, the answer is the Sudschleife.

Get outta here with your technicalities, you Irish encyclopedia :P . Yes, it was indeed the Sudschleife, never used in a World Championship event. Well, unless you count the GP circuit as the new Sudschleife, but I don't think we shall, shall we?

Hungarian
Which turns from the original Hungaroring track layout have been altered since the first Grand Prix held at the venue in 1986?
(Not disclosing how many points per answer, because that'd be a dead giveaway)
yannicksamlad wrote:One and Twelve

Aislabie wrote:Turn 1, Turn 3, Turn 5, Turn 6

TheFlyingCaterham wrote:Turn 1 was made into a hairpin, the original chicane at what is now Turn 3 was bypassed and the Turn 12 extension was made. So 2 were added, 5 were removed and only 3 were physically changed.

Simtek wrote: Well, all of them when you think about it, what with resurfacing and reprofiling kerbs and the odd bit of tightening in some corners. Really provokes a Ship of Theseus-type question. As for which ones have been tightened or straightened out or whatever, I will say the first turn (tightened with the straight being lengthened), the chicane after turn 3 (removed from the F1 layout) and the third last corner (the one that used to be a kink and was tightened in about 2003).

The simplest question on the quiz in my opinion and Aislabie didn't get full marks, TheFlyingCaterham used maths and Simtek went full philosophy on me. But yes, I am looking for turn 1, turn 3 and turn 12.

Indian
In 2003, which city agreed to host the Indian Grand Prix in 2007 before the project was declared dead?

Simtek wrote:I want to say Chennai but I have the feeling it was to be a brand new venue.

yannicksamlad wrote:Bangalore

Aislabie wrote:Mumbai

Aislabie was so close, but it wasn't Mumbai. It was, in fact, a large area around Hyderabad that was designated to host an Indian Grand Prix back in 2003, but soon funds became tighter and, guess what, the city of Mumbai wanted to compete for the spot next year. So while Mumbai was considered for an Indian Grand Prix, it wasn't the city that signed the contract in 2003, so nul points for Aislabie.

Indanapolis 500
No, I'm not ignoring this race for once. Instead, I ask, which driver scored the most Formula One Points whilst competing solely in the Indy 500, and how many points did he score?
(0.5 per answer)

Aislabie wrote:Troy Ruttmann. Probably more than the points for just one win, so 10 points?

Simtek wrote:Has to be Jim Rathmann, and I'll say 25.

It was indeed a certain Jim Rathmann that scored the most points in the Indy 500's time in the calendar, though Simtek undersold it a little. His one win, one fifth place, one fastest lap and an astounding THREE runner-up finishes earned him a total of 29 points. Bonus points if you all knew his first name is Royal. Like, not Sir or Duke, his name is literally Royal.

Italian
What was the last track to host the Italian Grand Prix that wasn't Monza or Imola?

Aislabie wrote:Milan

Simtek wrote:That was Valentino Park in 1948. An Alfa Romeo walkover.

Aislabie missed it by a year. The last Italian Grand Prix held outside of Monza or Imola was indeed at Valentino Park in Turin, while the last race held on a Milan street circuit was in 1947, just a year prior.

Japanese
The 1976 and 1977 Japanese Grands Prix featured several one-off Japanese entries. Name all of them.
(0.2 per answer)
Aislabie wrote:Masahiro Hasemi, Tony Trimmer

TheFlyingCaterham wrote:Masahiro Hasemi and Kazuyoshi Hoshino are the only names I remember.

yannicksamlad wrote:K Hoshino in a Tyrrell, Kojima with Masahiro Hasemi and Takahara and Takahara in a Surtees?

Simtek wrote:Forum legend Masami Kuwashima, motorcycle legend Kunimitsu Takahashi, my current research project Noritake Takahara, Normal32's current research project Masahiro Hasemi and the greatest Asian racing driver of all time (maybe, not a fan of superlatives): Kazuyoshi Hoshino

Say no more, Simtek, say no more. Unfortunately, to yannicksamlad, I was counting different drivers, not same drivers but different Grands Prix. And Aislabie, you're forgetting Tony Trimmer's earlier Maki disasters and his wonderful time at Melchester Racing.

Korean
Everyone knows that the Korean Grand Prix was an absolute failure money-wise. To the nearest million, name the amount of money the Grand Prix lost in four years in Pound Sterling.
TheFlyingCaterham wrote:36 million? Random guesstimation

Aislabie wrote:40 million, I dunno

Simtek wrote:Fiddy.

yannicksamlad wrote:£76m?

You all undersold it big time. The answer is 131 million Pounds. Yeap, you heard me right. One. Hundred. And Thirty-One. MILLION

Luxembourg
Back in the 1940's-1950's, there were four Luxembourg Grands Prix, actually held in Luxembourg. Name the four winners of this event.
(0.25 per answer)

Aislabie wrote:Giuseppe Farina, Juan Manuel Fangio, Alberto Ascari and one of the other Italians of the time. Maybe Villoresi?

Simtek wrote: Villoresi, Ascari and two British drivers from when it was run to F3. Les Leston, I think, was one of them, but I can't remember the other. I'll say Eric Brandon.

Villoresi and Ascari did win the Luxembourg Grand Prix back in it's glory days, then you could tell the quality of the event dipped after that. Les Leston did win the F3 event in 1952, but the win in 1951 actually went to Eric Brandon's teammate at Ecurie Richmond, Alan Brown.

Malaysian
Which former Malaysian Grand Prix winner has the unique distinction of winning the Macau Grand Prix in open-wheelers, motorcycles and Touring Cars?

Aislabie wrote:John Surtees

yannicksamlad wrote:Johnny Cecotto ?

Simtek wrote:That's definitely going back to the Formula Pacific days, if not back to the Thomson Road days. John MacDonald is one of the first names I would think of from the pre-F3 era of Macau.

John Surtees might be ambidextrous in cars and bikes, but he never participated in Macau or even Malaysia for that matter. Cecotto won the touring car race in Macau, but not any other accolades I'm looking for. The answer then is indeed John MacDonald, the most successful open-wheel driver ever in Macau, winning both the Grand Prix and the Touring Car race the same year, and adding on to his win in Motorcycles, PLUS being a four-time winner of the Malaysian Grand Prix. Damn, what a record to have.

Mexican
The baseball stadium integrated into the Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez, Foro Sol, has held numerous concerts. Which act attracted the highest confirmed audience to the stadium?

Aislabie wrote:Bernie Ecclestone's High Flying Birds

Simtek wrote:I know the Stones played there recently...

yannicksamlad wrote:Shakira.

There are technically two right answers to this question, but I can see why y'all didn't even bother with this question. Coldplay's three-day tour attracted a record single day attendance during one of their three shows, but Metallica's three-day tour of Foro Sol actually had a higher overall gate than Coldplay, though there are no individual attendance records that I can find, so I would've given points to both answers if only you guys believed in Chris Martin and Enter Sandman a little more.

Monaco
Name all non-Championship Monaco Grand Prix winners. NON-Championship.
(0.09 per answer)

Aislabie wrote:Dick Seaman, Giuseppe Farina, Louis Chiron, Juan Manuel Fangio, Louis Chiron, Raymond Sommer, Louis Rosier, Emilio Villoresi

Simtek wrote:Vittorio Marzotto and Nino Farina from the post-war period. And, judging from the number of points per answer, I'm assuming... wait, are you including all of the pre-war races? That's a bit of a misleading question. Okay, "Williams", Dreyfus, Chiron, Varzi, Nuvolari, Moll, Fagioli, Caracciola and von Brauchitsch

Sorry if I misled you again Simtek. Yep, I meant all races non-championship, both pre-war and post-war. And in true Simtek fashion, you got them all correct. And in true Aislabie fashion, I have to correct him that there are no two Louis Chirons.

Moroccan
What disease sidelined Stirling Moss and hampered Juan Manuel Fangio's performance in the 1957 Moroccan Grand Prix?

yannicksamlad wrote:Hepatitis?

Aislabie wrote:Literally no idea. Lupus?

Simtek wrote: Asian Flu (possible misspelling of Avian Flu)

No, not everything is Lupus. It was indeed Asian Flu, and that's no misspelling. I actually looked it up, and you want to know why it was called Asian Flu? It was a flu that came from Asia. Who would've known.

Pacific
Including non-F1 events, which two circuits have hosted the 'Pacific Grand Prix'?
(0.5 per answer)
Aislabie wrote:Tanaka International (Okayama now), and it's a toss-up between Motegi and Surfers Paradise. I'm going for the latter.

yannicksamlad wrote:Aida and Motegi.

TheFlyingCaterham wrote:Well obviously Aida is one of them, but not sure about the other. I'd hazard a guess it was an American race though.

Simtek wrote:Aida and Lagana Seca

The obvious one was indeed Aida. The second, more obscure one was actually held at Laguna Seca pre-Andretti Hairpin. And no, I wasn't counting the MotoGP race, so no Motegi here.

Pescara
In the 1957 Pescara Grand Prix, the only such event to be a part of the World Championship, what did the paddock suggest that Maserati used to gain an incredible pace advantage in practice?

Simtek wrote:Fangio. Put him in your car and everyone will think you have an unfair advantage.

Aislabie wrote:A shortcut.

This answer I actually had to look outside the wide realms of Wikipedia to find. Rather unbelievably, every team in the garage accused Maserati of lacing their fuel with nitromethane, or in our simple terms, good old NITRO.

Portuguese
The Portuguese Grands Prix seemed to be a red-flag magnet in my opinion. In-between 1986 and 1992, how many red flags were shown during the course of the race?
yannicksamlad wrote:2 red flags??

Simtek wrote:I'll say four

TheFlyingCaterham wrote:4?

Aisable wrote:Four.

Four is indeed correct. One in 1990 for Aguri Suzuki injuring Alex Caffi in an incident, one in 1987 for a multi-car collision on the opening lap and two in 1988 for separate incidents on the grid.

Russian
Before the Russian Grand Prix was implemented in 2014, what year was a Russian Grand Prix included in a provisional calendar, but scrapped?
yannicksamlad wrote:2008?

TheFlyingCaterham wrote:1986?

Aislabie wrote:I don't know, but if we assume the USSR was some sort of Orwellian nightmare I have to say 1984.

Simtek wrote:Ah, as I said before, 1983, though that was to be the Grand Prix of the Soviet Union, as Grand Prix of the Russian Soviet Federative Socialist Republic was a bit unwieldy and the other extreme of GPRSFSR is a bit of the same. 2003 sounds about right to me.

Yeah, Simtek was kinda right on the Soviet Grand Prix name. Whoopsie. And yes, it was scheduled to be in 1983, which is damn close to Aislabie's trivial, jokey answer.

San Marino
The Grand Prix was dropped from the calendar in 2007 to 'make way' for another Grand Prix? Which Grand Prix did San Marino have to scoot aside for?
Simtek wrote:The new one at... there was no new one. The European Grand Prix was also axed too (well, sort of). I find this highly suspicious...

Aislabie AND yannicksamlad wrote:Singapore?

TheFlyingCaterham wrote:I don't believe there were any new venues added in 2007 apart from Fuji Speedway, so I'd guess it was a cancelled or postponed event. I'll guess the Singapore Grand Prix

Indeed, there were no new races in 2007, making this question seem irrelevant. However, there was a returning track to the calendar: Spa-Francorchamps. The Belgian Grand Prix was set to make a return to the calendar in 2007, and with the aim of reducing the calendar length that year, San Marino was cleared out for Spa to return.

Singapore
No, I'm not gonna talk about Thomson Road. Instead, I'll talk about Marina Bay. More specifically, turn 18. This turn is notorious for catching drivers out going under the grandstand. Name all the victims of the barrier at turn 18.
(0.11 per answer)

yannicksamlad wrote:Liuzzi, Karthikeyan, Raikkonen, di Resta...

Aislabie wrote:Mark Webber, Pastor Maldonado, Heikki Kovalainen, Sergio Perez, Jules Bianchi, Sebastian Vettel, Felipe Massa, Jolyon Palmer. All guesses. hope one sticks.

Simtek wrote:Senna, Kobayashi, Kubica... You've lost me. Okay, you want me to say Maldonado, so I'll say Maldonado.

Yep, I've kept track. Massa and Sutil with the funniest thing I've ever seen in 2008, then Kobayashi being a blockade for Bruno Senna, then Alguersuari, Glock, Karthikeyan, Ricciardo and Alexander Rossi all binning it on their own accord. I forgot to add Nico Rosberg's practice incident into the list, so bonus for that, as well as a bonus for mentioning Sebastien Bourdais' brief spin into the escape road.

South African
The 1981 South African Grand Prix was almost the start of a breakaway championship by FOCA in the midst of the FISA-FOCA war, but the idea for the championship was scrapped due to poor attendance. What was the name that this championship would've been run under?

Simtek wrote:F1RWRS. Okay, the "Grand Prix World Championship" or something.

TheFlyingCaterham wrote:Grand Prix World Championship?

Aislabie wrote:Nope I got nothing. World Grand Prix Series?

Not surprising no answers here are correct, given the awful names that FOCA came up with. The 1981 South African Grand Prix was supposedly run under the "World Federation of Motorsport", with drivers aiming for the "World Professional Drivers Championship". I think sticking to F1 is much better.

Spanish
The 1980 Spanish Grand Prix was yet another race declared a non-championship race due to the withdrawal of FISA teams. This denied one driver of their only championship points. Who was he?

yannicksamlad wrote:Villota, surely not ?

Aislabie wrote:Emilio de Villota?

Simtek wrote:Poor Patrick Gaillard. He was supposed to be brilliant, too. Also denied Dave Kennedy his only world championship start.

Yep, the sad tale of Patrick Gaillard lives on. And I'll give a teeny tiny bonus to Simtek for mentioning that Dave Kennedy fact I legitimately had no idea about until now. And yep, it surely wasn't de Villota.

Swedish
The Swedish hosted several non-championship races before 1956. What was the official name of these events?

Aislabie wrote:I don't know this at all, but wasn't ice racing quite popular? I'll go with the Swedish Grand Prix Road Race

TheFlyingCaterham wrote:Swedish Summer Grand Prix and Swedish Winter Grand Prix?

Simtek wrote:I suppose you're referring to the "Sveriges Vinter Grand Prix" if my Swedish is correct. Although I believe there was a Summer counterpart once, too.

Yep, the Swedish loved ice racing, so much so those sycho Swedes wanted to have two Grands Prix, one in the summer on regular roads and one in the winter on...ice, calling each event the Swedish Summer and the Swedish Winter Grand Prix.

Swiss
The three Swiss Grand Prix from 1950 to 1952 saw a career-ending incident in each event. Whose careers was cut short by these incidents?
(0.33 per answer)

yannicksamlad wrote:Nope

Simtek wrote:I was sure I could remember at least one of them, but my mind's blank on this one.

Aislabie wrote:Rudi Fischer, Peter Whitehead and maybe Cabantous? Trying to think of people who disappeared from F1 pretty early on.

This question was very mean, as one crash didn't necessarily take place in F1, but in one of the support events. Eugene Martin had a massive crash in 1950 that left him with serious injuries all but ending his career, with an attempted comeback at Pau only injuring further spectators and ending his career entirely. Henri Louveau struck a lamp post in 1951 and quit racing afterwards to start a car dealership. And in 1952, the biggest name in pre-war racing, Rudolf Caracciola was attempting a very late comeback into racing, but a spectacular crash into a tree forced him to retire from racing altogether. Sorry for breaking you, yannicksamlad

Turkish
Why was there a $5 million fine on the national sporting council of Turkey and the Turkish Grand Prix organisers after the 2006 running of the event?

Aislabie wrote:For the #bantz

yannicksamlad wrote:Dog on track

Simtek wrote:Because the FIA does not recognise the sovereignty of the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus. :P Yeah, its president gave out one of the trophies.

The blasted doggo incident was in 2008 and, reportedly, nothing really happened. I guess a dead dog has lesser value than the president of a highly controversial state appearing on an international stage, as that incident was the one that attracted the fine.

United States
How many years has there been a running of a Grand Prix within the United States without an actual United States Grand Prix?
yannicksamlad wrote:7 ..?

Aislabie wrote:Eight.

Simtek wrote:There's probably been at least one every year since about the fifties. F1 only, though, the answer is... 8? 5 if Long Beach counts.

TheFlyingCaterham wrote:I'd guess the Indianapolis 500 doesn't count. I know 81-88 ran without a proper US GP, but somehow just those eight make the question feel too easy, so I shall guess 9

The assumption of the Indy 500 strikes again. (That actually rhymes a little. Okay, not really). Yes, it is eight without the Indy 500 counting, but I was indeed adding the 500 to my list, so that bumps it all up to seventeen.

United States West
The United States West Grand Prix was held at the Long Beach Street Circuit throughout it's existence on the calendar. Thus, name the podium of the first ever race at Long Beach.
(0.33 per answer)

yannicksamlad wrote:Regazzoni, Lauda Depailler ( or are we talking the F5000 race the year before?)

Simtek wrote: That was the F5000 race from 1975... and I actually don't know the answer

Aislabie wrote:I feel a curveball, like the first race wasn't an F1 race or something. So I'll go Mario Andretti, Al Unser, and AJ Foyt. If it was an American race, one of them must have made it to the front, surely?

Once again, yannicksamlad trips the QI klaxons, though with a cautionary note that he might trigger it. Kinda like shooting yourself in the foot trying to unload a round. Indeed the race was the F5000 event in 1975 featuring the likes of Andretti and Unser, but both of them and loads of other drivers failed to finish as well, leading to the remarkably beautiful reject podium of Brian Redman, Vern Schuppan and Eppie Wietzes.

With all that, plus the bonus points for comedy (I'm looking at you, Aislabie's Austrian Grand Prix logic), here are the tables...

The Grand Prix Quiz Results
1. Simtek -- 23.82
2. TheFlyingCaterham -- 11.63
3. Aislabie -- 8.14
4. yannicksamlad -- 5.84

yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Terrifically difficult quiz there - but fun. thanks WaffleCat
And just a small contribution ; how many times was Wilson Fittipaldi classified ahead of his brother Emerson in races where both finished ? ( Grand Prix F1 World Championship events only ) ...
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

Ataxia wrote:

dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Kicking myself a bit on this one as I didn't get the two Piquets, the two Palmers, and the two Verstappens[/] - I saw "Netherlands" and that it was in late "U" or early "V" and assumed it was going to be "van der" something. If I wasn't a bit drunk I might have got the two Schlessers and the two Winkelhocks. And I couldn't for the life of me work out that there were [i]five Taylors.

You've missed a blindingly obvious triple-surname, though. Think of an Australian multiple world champion with three sons, one never made it into F1, and the other two are rejects, with one of those doing a long spell behind bars...
Aislabie

2018 Silly Season Quiz

Post by Aislabie »

Just a nice, easy quiz for you all. Right?

1/ Charles Leclerc looks likely to get one of the Sauber seats for next year. He will be the first Monegasque driver since whom, in what season, to drive in Formula One?
(Gain 0.5 points each for the correct driver and season)

2/ Antonio Giovinazzi is a candidate to join him there. In 2017, he became the first Italian since whom to drive a Ferrari-powered car in a Grand Prix?
(Gain 0.33 points each for the correct driver, team and season)

3/ Should both Ferrari juniors be signed by Sauber, it will mean two rookies* for the Swiss team. When was the last time they fielded an all-rookie lineup?
(Gain one point for the correct answer)
* Giovinazzi is considered a rookie as he has completed less than half of a season.

4/ As well as welcoming new drivers, Formula One says goodbye to Felipe Massa. His retirement will make the 2018 Australian Grand Prix the first since which Grand Prix not to have a Brazilian on the grid?
(Gain 0.5 points each for the year and Grand Prix)

5/ His possible replacement would be Robert Kubica. It's been a long time since his last Grand Prix, but which pointless reject legend holds the record for the longest break between Grands Prix?

6/ On the topic of nations, France is much better represented in 2018. As well as Gasly, Grosjean and Ocon,
the French Grand Prix also returns to the calendar. Who was the last Frenchman to drive in his home Grand Prix, and in which year?

(Gain 0.5 points each for the driver and the season)

7/ In the process of signing Carlos Sainz for 2018, Renault ran three drivers in 2017. When was the last time a Renault car had three different drivers, and who were they?
(Gain 0.25 points each for the year, and for each correct driver)

8/ Sainz's departure has left Toro Rosso with Gasly and Hartley for 2018. Unless they upset the odds at Brazil or Abu Dhabi, they will go into 2018 with a pointless driver lineup. This has happened twice before for Toro Rosso: in which years, and with which drivers?
(Gain 0.17 points each for each correct year and driver)

9/ Of course, as with all silly seasons, there are many contracts being signed. What unusual clause did Eddie Irvine have in his Ferrari contract 20 years ago?
(Gain one point for the correct answer, incremental points if you get close)

10/ And finally, Azerbaijan considers itself a European country. If you accept this, it now marks the start to the European season. When was the last time a country other than Spain marked the start of the European season,
and which country was it?

(Gain 0.5 points each for the correct year and country)

Have fun! (And if Tommykl doesn't get full marks I'll be surprised)
Aislabie

Re: 2018 Silly Season Quiz

Post by Aislabie »

Just a nice, easy quiz for you all. Right?
Okay, here's the first lie of the whole piece; I intended to fill this with more trick questions than a thing with nine trick questions.

1/ Charles Leclerc looks likely to get one of the Sauber seats for next year. He will be the first Monegasque driver since whom, in what season, to drive in Formula One?
(Gain 0.5 points each for the correct driver and season)

Okay, so the correct answer was Robert Doornbos in 2005; in 2005 he raced under a Monegasque licence while in 2006 he used a Dutch one. No idea why, but anyway. The answer I wanted you all to go for was Olivier Beretta, but some of you also went Louis Chiron.

2/ Antonio Giovinazzi is a candidate to join him there. In 2017, he became the first Italian since whom to drive a Ferrari-powered car in a Grand Prix?
(Gain 0.33 points each for the correct driver, team and season)

This was a small trap in the wording, but very few of you fell for it. The Ferrari-powered car was in fact the 2009 Ferrari driven by Giancarlo Fisichella. I don't think this caught anyone out; the only dropped points were incomplete answers.

3/ Should both Ferrari juniors be signed by Sauber, it will mean two rookies* for the Swiss team. When was the last time they fielded an all-rookie lineup?
[size=40]* Giovinazzi is considered a rookie as he has completed less than half of a season.
[/size]
Yeah, this was a bit of a dick move on my part: the correct answer is never. Yeah, basically the trick here was to go for any kind of answer, though there was also a clue: if there were rookie drivers, I'd probably have asked you to name them.

4/ As well as welcoming new drivers, Formula One says goodbye to Felipe Massa. His retirement will make the 2018 Australian Grand Prix the first since which Grand Prix not to have a Brazilian on the grid?
(Gain 0.5 points each for the year and Grand Prix)

The trap that some of you fell into was to try to remember the last season without a Brazilian. But I was looking for a Grand Prix, and that happened to be the 2017 Hungarian Grand Prix.

5/ His possible replacement would be Robert Kubica. It's been a long time since his last Grand Prix, but which pointless reject legend holds the record for the longest break between Grands Prix?

The words "pointless reject legend" were always supposed to point you towards Luca Badoer, but it was not him. It was in fact the evergreen Jan Lammers.

6/ On the topic of nations, France is much better represented in 2018. As well as Gasly, Grosjean and Ocon, the French Grand Prix also returns to the calendar. Who was the last Frenchman to drive in his home Grand Prix, and in which year?
(Gain 0.5 points each for the driver and the season)

There was no particular trap for this one: in fact, a Frenchman on the grid in the previous French Grand Prix: Sebastien Bourdais in 2008. A lot of people jumped straight to Olivier Panis, forgetting the forgettable Toro Rosso man very quickly.

7/ In the process of signing Carlos Sainz for 2018, Renault ran three drivers in 2017. When was the last time a Renault car had three different drivers, and who were they?
(Gain 0.25 points each for the year, and for each correct driver)
Just a small trap here: the last Renault car was operated by the Lotus Renault F1 Team in 2011, when Nick Heidfeld was replaced as Vitaly Petrov's teammate by Bruno Senna. A couple of people jumped straight into the 2009 trap.

8/ Sainz's departure has left Toro Rosso with Gasly and Hartley for 2018. Unless they upset the odds at Brazil or Abu Dhabi, they will go into 2018 with a pointless driver lineup. This has happened twice before for Toro Rosso: in which years, and with which drivers?
(Gain 0.17 points each for each correct year and driver)
No trap here really, but a lot of people missed one of these: 2012 saw Daniel Ricciardo and Jean-Eric Vergne start the season without an F1 point between them, and 2015 saw Carlos Sainz and Max Verstappen drive for Toro Rosso - a rookie, and therefore pointless, pair.

9/ Of course, as with all silly seasons, there are many contracts being signed. What unusual clause did Eddie Irvine have in his Ferrari contract 20 years ago?
(Gain one point for the correct answer, incremental points if you get close)

Okay, this one might have been a bit inaccurate, but I'm sure I read it somewhere reliable. The story goes that Eddie Irvine was to be paid a bonus if his teammate won the World Championship. Given that he would never be allowed a straight fight with Schumacher, he saw this as a very Irvine way of capitalising on that. Only two people scored anything on this question, and it didn't affect the overall outcome.

10/ And finally, Azerbaijan considers itself a European country. If you accept this, it now marks the start to the European season. When was the last time a country other than Spain marked the start of the European season,
and which country was it?

(Gain 0.5 points each for the correct year and country)

The trap here was that it was the obvious one: the 2006 San Marino Grand Prix, which was in Italy, though it looks like I decided to accept either country as correct. I can't remember, but whatever I did was definitely consistent, so it's fine.

The traps were Russia (Sochi is in Asia) and Turkey (Istanbul Park was on the Asian side) I think.

Have fun! (And if Tommykl doesn't get full marks I'll be surprised)
This bit also turned out to be inaccurate, because he didn't participate. The eventual winner was SIMTEK

UncreativeUsername37

A quiz I didn't come last in! Party time :dance:
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

WaffleCat's Off-Season Quiz

Alright, I have a quiz here, mostly just a random assortment of questions based off my Reddit posts that I do now and then. For once, I request you don't read my Reddit posts to find the answers. Good luck.

1 -- Name the two chassis used by East German entrants in the 1952 and 1953 German Grands Prix.(0.5 points per answer)

2 -- Hans Stuck was a racing legend for Auto Union, but it took a while for his son, Hans-Joachim, to get involved with Auto Union’s successor, Audi. At what track, series and year did the younger Stuck first attempt to race in an Audi?(0.33 points per year/series/track)

3 -- Gerhard Mitter was exposed by a journalist back in his Formula Junior days for bending the rules. What was that certain journalist’s name and his most famous claim to fame? (0.5 points per answer)

4 -- What manufacturer and designer developed the chassis that Chris Amon declared said chassis to potentially be the best he’s ever raced?(0.5 points per answer)

5 -- What was missing from Leo Kinnunen’s garage at the 1974 Italian Grand Prix?

6 -- What is Rikky von Opel’s current country of residence, and what does he do?(0.5 points per answer).

7 -- Roberto Bussinello was the victor in the first incarnation of which famous national endurance race?

8 -- Including his title, type out Charles de Tornaco’s full name. (Bits of points for each name correct that isn't "Charles", "de" or "Tornaco". Not spoiling how many names there are in his name)

9 -- Why did Moises Solana finish last in his only race in Europe, a Formula 2 race in Jarama?

10 -- What is the apocryphal reason that Boy Hayje managed to qualify for the 1976 Dutch Grand Prix?

11 -- Why did Roy Salvadori quit from B.R.M. in 1957 after just one World Championship Grand Prix?

12 -- Alberto Colombo managed to seal a major clothing manufacturer for his failed F1 project. Who was that sponsor?

13 -- Ken Downing blew a massive lead to Paul Frere in the final two laps of the Grand Prix de Frontieres at Chimay in 1952. In seconds, how big was that lead that he blew?

14 -- Which team gave Sebastien Vettel his first ever major open-wheeler test?

15 -- Name EVERY series that Nelson Piquet Jr. has appeared in at least three races.(0.08 points per answer)

16 -- How many laps did Tazio Nuvolari race for (total, in all races) in 1949?

17 -- What was the official title of the Formula Two race held at Genoa on the 30th of May, 1952?

18 -- What was Chris Amon doing in the first Formula One race he’d ever seen?

Given the 50's-70's heavy nature of this quiz, I expect a certain Belgian user to excel here, though an Irish fellow may not be that far behind...

WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

I'll delay posting my answers to my off-season quiz, in part due to there being only one response to the quiz so far.

And, to be brutally honest, it ain't that hard of a score to beat at all...