Haas F1 Team Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
pi314159

Haas F1 Team Thread

Post by pi314159 »

The FIA has decided to open the selection progress for a new team to join in 2015 or 2016. Interested teams have time to express interest until January 3, a final decision will be made on February 28.

http://www.fia.com/news/call-expression-interest
Last edited by pi314159 on 04 Jun 2014, 16:53, edited 1 time in total.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
good_Ralf

Re: A 12th team for 2015/16

Post by good_Ralf »

I'd be up for a bid from Stefan GP... or Jacques Villeneuve.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

good_Ralf wrote:I'd be up for a bid from Stefan GP... or Jacques Villeneuve.

I hope there will be some more serious bids, for expample an experienced GP2 team.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

A serious bid... like this one, y'mean?

"Y'all know this team will be a GOOD CHRISTIAN BIBLE-READING TEAM, based in AMERICA for TRUE AMERICANS who vote REPUBLICAN and have FIFTY THOUSAND GUNS, and all y'all know as well IT IS I, DON PENTECOST, THE CHOSEN ONE who will be DEPUTY TEAM PRINCIPAL (because the TRUE TEAM PRINCIPAL will be JESUS), and I will be THE OLDEST FORMULA ONE, A REGISTERED TRADEMARK OF THE FORMULA ONE CORPORATION, CHAMPION. I will be SIXTY YEARS OLD and will beat drivers A THIRD OF MY AGE who should still be at BIBLE SCHOOL at that age. As I have GOD ON MY SIDE then nobody will be able to stop me, least of all those LOSERS at FORMULA ONE REJECTS who spend all their time on the INTERNET which is a creation of SATAN and THE DEMOCRATS and COMMIES and LIBRULS and PEOPLE WITHOUT GUNS. Also don't forget to read my book on SELF DEFENCE WITH A KNIFE although in reality y'all should carry a GUN instead like a TRUE AMERICAN. I was definitely NOT IN JAIL when I wrote this book because I am a GOOD CHRISTIAN and GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail. Also OBAMA should be in jail for not being a REPUBLICAN and for being a MUSLIM and a TERRORIST with a name that sounds like OSAMA. ALL Y'ALL HAIL ME, YOUR NEW TRUE AMERICAN BLUE-COLLAR WORKING-CLASS HERO, WHO WILL OPEN A CAN O' TRUE AMERICAN WHOOPASS ON THE PRIVILEGED WORLD OF FORMULA ONE, A REGISTERED TRADEMARK OF THE FORMULA ONE CORPORATION."
- a statement by Don Pentecost, 11th December, 2013

For the record, Don, this loser spent all his time on the internet on the weekend... oh, wait, that's not right, is it! No, I went to Sheffield on Saturday to have a celebratory gig with my good pals in Northern Oak (they've got something to celebrate), then headed north to Sunderland to investigate Hylton Castle (as part of this ongoing series), and spent the rest of the Sunday in Newcastle filming an all-day gig for the organisers who asked me very nicely (in a heavy north-eastern accent) - here's the evidence, and there are six other bands I filmed that day. And I've been doing essential maintenance on my flat as well. The internet has had to wait!
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

dinizintheoven wrote:Also don't forget to read my book on SELF DEFENCE WITH A KNIFE although in reality y'all should carry a GUN instead like a TRUE AMERICAN.

DefenCe? That's not very 'Murcan....
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
dinizintheoven wrote:Also don't forget to read my book on SELF DEFENCE WITH A KNIFE although in reality y'all should carry a GUN instead like a TRUE AMERICAN.

DefenCe? That's not very 'Murcan....

Haha, I may sig that :lol: As long as it doesn't ruin my Felipe Baby, Stay Cool YouTube link...
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

dinizintheoven wrote:A serious bid... like this one, y'mean?

"Y'all know this team will be a GOOD CHRISTIAN BIBLE-READING TEAM, based in AMERICA for TRUE AMERICANS who vote REPUBLICAN and have FIFTY THOUSAND GUNS, and all y'all know as well IT IS I, DON PENTECOST, THE CHOSEN ONE who will be DEPUTY TEAM PRINCIPAL (because the TRUE TEAM PRINCIPAL will be JESUS), and I will be THE OLDEST FORMULA ONE, A REGISTERED TRADEMARK OF THE FORMULA ONE CORPORATION, CHAMPION. I will be SIXTY YEARS OLD and will beat drivers A THIRD OF MY AGE who should still be at BIBLE SCHOOL at that age. As I have GOD ON MY SIDE then nobody will be able to stop me, least of all those LOSERS at FORMULA ONE REJECTS who spend all their time on the INTERNET which is a creation of SATAN and THE DEMOCRATS and COMMIES and LIBRULS and PEOPLE WITHOUT GUNS. Also don't forget to read my book on SELF DEFENCE WITH A KNIFE although in reality y'all should carry a GUN instead like a TRUE AMERICAN. I was definitely NOT IN JAIL when I wrote this book because I am a GOOD CHRISTIAN and GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail. Also OBAMA should be in jail for not being a REPUBLICAN and for being a MUSLIM and a TERRORIST with a name that sounds like OSAMA. ALL Y'ALL HAIL ME, YOUR NEW TRUE AMERICAN BLUE-COLLAR WORKING-CLASS HERO, WHO WILL OPEN A CAN O' TRUE AMERICAN WHOOPASS ON THE PRIVILEGED WORLD OF FORMULA ONE, A REGISTERED TRADEMARK OF THE FORMULA ONE CORPORATION."

I don't where to start to sig that :lol:
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

roblomas52 wrote:
dinizintheoven wrote:A serious bid... like this one, y'mean?

I don't where to start to sig that :lol:

Sig the part you like best, as long as it's not too long... ;)
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.

I am obviously such a bad Christian therefore for lusting after girls! :lol:
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

So Donny, I'm yo average 'Murican youngun who's a deservin' to be in a stinkin' jail cell? Who's a wishin' that on a teen, sonny?
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

For some serious prospects:

Carlin - last applied in 2006; since then have moved to what is always quoted as being an "F1-standard facility" in Farnham. Successful in pretty much all junior levels of motorsport. Just a question of whether they can get the funding.

ART - GP2's most successful outfit, owned (in part) by Nicolas Todt; nearly became the 13th team for 2011, but pulled out when Michelin weren't made the tyre supplier - could be that Pirelli aren't in the sport much longer anyway.

Ray Mallock Limited - would have applied for 2010, had the budget cap been more definite. Have everything in place to make a chassis right off the bat. Can even do in-house engine development.

Hilmer - Franz Hilmer's Formtech have already done F1 fabrication; own a lot of the old Super Aguri assets; currently competing (quite successfully) in GP2; applied for 2010 under the name Brabham (lawsuits ahoy).
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I echo everyone else's appreciation of Diniz's very convincing Don Pentecost impression. :lol:

I seriously doubt that any new team going in 2015/16 will be a 12th team, I reckon one of Caterham or Marussia will fall by the wayside by then (assuming their current performance levels continue). As I've mentioned in another post somewhere, I don't think F1 has enough manufacturer teams. It's all good and well an GP2 team making the step up but they won't have the resources without manufacturer support. Like at Marussia, who were born out of the successful Manor GP team, they've done nothing. In fact, the last teams to have any success stepping up from a junior formulae are probably Jordan and Sauber. Hooray for rejectdom, but not for competitive racing.

I say this not only because its nice to see a new team fighting at the front but also because it opens up another pair of competitive race seats for talented drivers. We are all complaining about how Nico Hulkenberg hasn't got the seats he deserves but we are looking at a race grid where out of the 22 seats available, 4 of them are basically in a 2nd tier of F1, 2 of them are reserved for cherry picked juniors, and 4-6 of team are determined by money as much as talent. That leaves 10-12 seats available for anyone who wants a decent drive but can't offer youth and/or money.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

I have to tell you a secret, the F1 Rejects team is not dead at all, i've been secretly working on a chassis, vaguely based on a Mastercard Lola, all this time :lol:
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

This wrote:I have to tell you a secret, the F1 Rejects team is not dead at all, i've been secretly working on a chassis, vaguely based on a Mastercard Lola, all this time :lol:

Just buy the real things: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOLA-FORMULA-F1-CARS-FOR-SALE-/181274704910?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a34d07c0e
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Backmarker wrote:
This wrote:I have to tell you a secret, the F1 Rejects team is not dead at all, i've been secretly working on a chassis, vaguely based on a Mastercard Lola, all this time :lol:

Just buy the real things: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOLA-FORMULA-F1-CARS-FOR-SALE-/181274704910?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a34d07c0e

Don't be silly. They'd be too fast.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

watka wrote:
Backmarker wrote:

So our car would only manage 200 km/h?
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

go_Rubens wrote:
watka wrote:

So our car would only manage 200 km/h?

Are you crazy? I have no intensions on outqualifying Max Chilton! 200 is way too fast! A W12 engine could solve that problem, no way that car is going to last 200KM
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Here goes my proposal for the letter of intent.

Dear FIA,

Before we present ourselves, we would like to praise the magnificent job you are making in this day and age on F1. Such is the faith that we place on F1 future that we decided to express our intent on joining the Formula 1 championship in 2015 or 2016.
Named F1Rejects, we are a group of people brought together with one thing in common: Our love for Formula 1, its history, its technology and, specially, its glamour. We realise that the name may suggest that we seem a group of deluded amateur hardcore fans but I assure that we are no such thing. We share your hate for hardcore fans. An example of this is the fact that even this past week we distributed some pamphlets showing our support of artificial sprinklers and short-cuts as well as great ideas such as mandatory pit stops and double points to some of those so called hardcore fans that gathered around our headquarters to support our cause. We hate them that much.
Anyway, this group encapsulates all the knowledge one may have about Formula 1, inside out, without never having participated. Our design team is every bit as experienced as was Nick Wirth with his CFD-only approach. Our Engineering team is as good as Andrea Sassetti's team. And our management team comprises personnel that can match those of HRT in finding much needed sponsorship to our show. As from this letter of intent we will start our preparations for the 2016 season. Not only we will match USF1 achievements, we also believe to be as quick as only Mastercard-Lola could be in presenting our car for the 2015 season. With BAR-Racing first season-like reliability. To show how serious we are about our candidacy, already have been made the first steps to bring PURE into Life and into Formula 1 as our engine supplier. We can even announce as early as this that Luca Badoer will be driving for us. Finally, we end this letter by stating that we are no amateurs. Some of us even have a job.

This letter hopes to find you, FIA, in good shape. All hail HWNSNBM,
The F1Rejects team
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

I thought the maximum team amount is 13? Would they only let one new team join, or two?
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

I don't see how any prospective team in their right mind is going to take this up. Given the painful experience of the previous 'new' teams, any new team can expect at least the same (if not worse), unless there is an effective enforceable budget cap in place.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Faustus wrote:I don't see how any prospective team in their right mind is going to take this up. Given the painful experience of the previous 'new' teams, any new team can expect at least the same (if not worse), unless there is an effective enforceable budget cap in place.

Even then. I've seen elsewhere that, before joining, the investment needed in facilities (either building from scratch or renting) and putting things in place is very likely to out spend a reasonable budget cap. Besides, there is always a chance that, much like what happened to the previous 'new' teams, the budget cap idea gets scrapped.

There is one way this can work, in this day and age of F1, without massive amounts of money just to reach the rear midfield: Customer cars. The fairest way this could be implemented is to allow only costumer cars from the two last teams. It would help these and the customers to survive and become more competitive...
Last edited by DanielPT on 12 Dec 2013, 15:42, edited 3 times in total.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

DanielPT wrote:
Faustus wrote:I don't see how any prospective team in their right mind is going to take this up. Given the painful experience of the previous 'new' teams, any new team can expect at least the same (if not worse), unless there is an effective enforceable budget cap in place.

Even then. I've seen elsewhere that, before joining, the investment needed in facilities (either building from scratch or renting) and putting things in place is very likely to out spend a reasonable budget cap. Besides, there is always a chance that, much like what happened to the previous 'new' teams, the budget cap idea gets scrapped.

There is one way this can work, in this day and age of F1, without massive amounts of money just to reach the rear midfield: Costumer cars. The fairest way this could be implemented is to allow only costumer cars from the two last teams. It would help these and the costumers to survive and become more competitive...

I agree, with the possibility of a Super Aguri type approach as well, which is not too dissimilar.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

DanielPT wrote:There is one way this can work, in this day and age of F1, without massive amounts of money just to reach the rear midfield: Costumer cars. The fairest way this could be implemented is to allow only costumer cars from the two last teams. It would help these and the costumers to survive and become more competitive...

But, even around Halloween, how much revenue do costume shops really make? ;)
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

fjackdaw wrote:
DanielPT wrote:There is one way this can work, in this day and age of F1, without massive amounts of money just to reach the rear midfield: Costumer cars. The fairest way this could be implemented is to allow only costumer cars from the two last teams. It would help these and the costumers to survive and become more competitive...

But, even around Halloween, how much revenue do costume shops really make? ;)

:P Silly mistake there. They probably don't make enough to run an F1 team. Perhaps only their association gathering all the profits around the world would work and even then... ;)
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

DanielPT wrote:Here goes my proposal for the letter of intent.

Dear FIA,

Before we present ourselves, we would like to praise the magnificent job you are making in this day and age on F1. Such is the faith that we place on F1 future that we decided to express our intent on joining the Formula 1 championship in 2015 or 2016.
Named F1Rejects, we are a group of people brought together with one thing in common: Our love for Formula 1, its history, its technology and, specially, its glamour. We realise that the name may suggest that we seem a group of deluded amateur hardcore fans but I assure that we are no such thing. We share your hate for hardcore fans. An example of this is the fact that even this past week we distributed some pamphlets showing our support of artificial sprinklers and short-cuts as well as great ideas such as mandatory pit stops and double points to some of those so called hardcore fans that gathered around our headquarters to support our cause. We hate them that much.
Anyway, this group encapsulates all the knowledge one may have about Formula 1, inside out, without never having participated. Our design team is every bit as experienced as was Nick Wirth with his CFD-only approach. Our Engineering team is as good as Andrea Sassetti's team. And our management team comprises personnel that can match those of HRT in finding much needed sponsorship to our show. As from this letter of intent we will start our preparations for the 2016 season. Not only we will match USF1 achievements, we also believe to be as quick as only Mastercard-Lola could be in presenting our car for the 2015 season. With BAR-Racing first season-like reliability. To show how serious we are about our candidacy, already have been made the first steps to bring PURE into Life and into Formula 1 as our engine supplier. We can even announce as early as this that Luca Badoer will be driving for us. Finally, we end this letter by stating that we are no amateurs. Some of us even have a job.

This letter hopes to find you, FIA, in good shape. All hail HWNSNBM,
The F1Rejects team

I don't mind having Luca Badoer as my Number 2 driver. It'd be good mixing youth and experience to be honest.

My list of demands however are:

1. I don't have to bring in sponsorship money, as I don't really have any. I could chuck in a few quid though, but no large amounts.
2. Taki Inoue is my race engineer.
3. I get access to Kimi Raikkonen's personal booze stash.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
andrew2209

Post by andrew2209 »

On a more serious note, could be see Honda applying, if there is a definite budget cap? They would be supplying engines, so a works team could help them develop further.
f1andrea

Post by f1andrea »

First of all I think that this is the only good news of the last few days and I'm happy about this, I only hope that some teams will send to the FIA the entry!

andrew2209 wrote:On a more serious note, could be see Honda applying, if there is a definite budget cap? They would be supplying engines, so a works team could help them develop further.

I suggest that Honda is the engines supplier that has the most chanche to supply a new team. I hope that F1 has gained appeal as in 2009, when 15 entrants tried to be on the grid of 2010 season. I suggest that of this 15 teams of 2009, only Lola (that in 2012 said that in 2014 would be on the grid) and ART probably will send to FIA the entry. I belive that a new american team will try, as maybe Russian Time (that in 2014 will race also in Gp3 Series) and some others Gp2 teams, like Racing Engineering. Maybe also Stefanovic, Kolles and Richards will tries again, they always are there when we speak about new teams :D
A good news came also from Formula E, where 3 former F1 teams re-enters in the motorsport: Super Aguri, Virgin and Venturi (even if in 1992 they run as Larrousse)...is a good signal that maybe in the motorsport the teams has again the money for race.

I'm always very interested about the new entries, my personal research of news about it is started! :D :D
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Reputable sources on Twitter are saying this has only come about because someone has approached either Bernie or the FIA about entering, so they have to go through the correct process.

With that in mind the current rumours appear to focus on a manufacturer, especially those involved in the WEC. Toyota have already been ruled out however, so make of that what you will. As I said, just rumours at the moment.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

AndreaModa wrote:Reputable sources on Twitter are saying this has only come about because someone has approached either Bernie or the FIA about entering, so they have to go through the correct process.

With that in mind the current rumours appear to focus on a manufacturer, especially those involved in the WEC. Toyota have already been ruled out however, so make of that what you will. As I said, just rumours at the moment.

The manufacturers which are currently involved in WEC LMP1 have built all-new cars for 2014, I can't see any of them switch to Formula 1 for 2016 or even 2016.
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

Hope it's Scorpion.
WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

[quote="f1andrea"]I suggest that of this 15 teams of 2009, only Lola (that in 2012 said that in 2014 would be on the grid) and ART probably will send to FIA the entry./quote]
I thought Lola had definitely been wound up (gone bust) this year, but their website is still going, so maybe anything's possible...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
MCard LOLA
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

AndreaModa wrote:Reputable sources on Twitter are saying this has only come about because someone has approached either Bernie or the FIA about entering, so they have to go through the correct process.

Going back to a rumour story dating last October...

I wonder now if there was something to it. It is the first manufacturer that I thought of which is currently involved in WEC.
UncreativeUsername37

pi314159 wrote:The manufacturers which are currently involved in WEC LMP1 have built all-new cars for 2014, I can't see any of them switch to Formula 1 for 2016 or even 2016.

Would a slightly later year like 2016 be possible?
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
mario

Post by mario »

Faustus wrote:
DanielPT wrote:

There is one way this can work, in this day and age of F1, without massive amounts of money just to reach the rear midfield: Costumer cars. The fairest way this could be implemented is to allow only costumer cars from the two last teams. It would help these and the costumers to survive and become more competitive...

I agree, with the possibility of a Super Aguri type approach as well, which is not too dissimilar.

There are certainly those who suspect that this announcement by the FIA might be a prelude to the legalisation of customer cars - we recently had Mario Andretti announce that, were customer cars legalised, that his son Michael would probably compete in F1 if a top team was prepared to sell him a car. I imagine that a cost cap would also be rather attractive it if was brought in at the same time given that he probably wouldn't have to worry so much about high development costs.

Now, out of the six teams represented in the F1 Strategy Group, two outfits are openly in favour of customer cars - Red Bull and Ferrari - whilst Lotus and McLaren seem to be neutral on the proposal, leaving just Mercedes and Williams opposed to the measure. Moreover, we know that FOM are keen to try to build up their presence in the US and, as a result, are keen to see either a US driver or US team participating in F1, whilst di Montezemolo has been dreaming for years about the possibility of reviving NART through selling customer Ferrari's to a US based team.

Yes, I acknowledge that this is extremely speculative at the moment, but I do half wonder if these events - a major shift in the balance of power towards those who might be in favour of customer cars, a motorsport legend in the US publicly talking up his interest in customer cars and a major push by FOM into the US market - are in some way connected to each other.

pi314159 wrote:The manufacturers which are currently involved in WEC LMP1 have built all-new cars for 2014, I can't see any of them switch to Formula 1 for 2016 or even 2016.

The problem is, the later that a new engine supplier leaves it until joining the sport, the more and more their hands would be tied due to the anticipated tightening on drivetrain development. Honda has already said that it fears being at a disadvantage in 2015 because it would have lost out on a year of on track development work, and that problem would only get worse as you move further into the future.

Moreover, there is the problem that all of the manufacturers in the WEC would need to develop a new engine from scratch - Porsche's WEC engine has been confirmed as a two litre four cylinder engine, and although some of the technology could be transferred (the energy recovery and fuel injection systems), much would have to be developed from scratch again.
Besides, the VW Group, of which Porsche is part, have stated repeatedly that they are not interested in F1 because they believe that there is far too heavy an emphasis on aerodynamics rather than engine development, so I can't see the attraction from their point of view.

If we discount Porsche, Audi and Toyota then, who else is left? About the only other manufacturer with a presence in the prototype classes of the WEC at the moment would be Nissan - they currently supply LMP2 teams with engines and, of course, the Garage 56 entry that they've indicated is a possible test bed for the drivetrain for a full blown LMP1 car in the future. Even so, it is rather a stretch to envisage Nissan suddenly making the jump to a full blown works F1 program...
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
UncreativeUsername37

mario wrote:

The problem is, the later that a new engine supplier leaves it until joining the sport, the more and more their hands would be tied due to the anticipated tightening on drivetrain development. Honda has already said that it fears being at a disadvantage in 2015 because it would have lost out on a year of on track development work, and that problem would only get worse as you move further into the future.

Moreover, there is the problem that all of the manufacturers in the WEC would need to develop a new engine from scratch - Porsche's WEC engine has been confirmed as a two litre four cylinder engine, and although some of the technology could be transferred (the energy recovery and fuel injection systems), much would have to be developed from scratch again.
Besides, the VW Group, of which Porsche is part, have stated repeatedly that they are not interested in F1 because they believe that there is far too heavy an emphasis on aerodynamics rather than engine development, so I can't see the attraction from their point of view.

If we discount Porsche, Audi and Toyota then, who else is left? About the only other manufacturer with a presence in the prototype classes of the WEC at the moment would be Nissan - they currently supply LMP2 teams with engines and, of course, the Garage 56 entry that they've indicated is a possible test bed for the drivetrain for a full blown LMP1 car in the future. Even so, it is rather a stretch to envisage Nissan suddenly making the jump to a full blown works F1 program...

I was just mocking a typo, but that was interesting.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

I highly don't see Audi coming because of their goal of coming up with innovative technology for the road in their cars. Porsche doesn't seem likely either. And for Nissan, they're all focused on Japan GT and WEC by the looks of things. Maybe it will be oddball. I'd wonder if it's Chevrolet, as they already run V6s in IndyCar, even with completely different regulations, but they can modify the IndyCar engine to fit F1 needs, couldn't they? And since Honda is coming in 2015 as an engine supplier with a good team (McLaren), maybe they're trying to be able to compete with Honda in terms of engines on a more broad perspective to try and increase sales.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

mario wrote: Even so, it is rather a stretch to envisage Nissan suddenly making the jump to a full blown works F1 program...

...mainly because Nissan is owned by Renault these days, and there's no way two engines from the same company would be allowed to compete with each other. And then there's Infiniti, Nissan's luxury brand - remember the plan to brand Red Bull's engines this year as Infiniti instead of Renault?
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

dinizintheoven wrote:
mario wrote: Even so, it is rather a stretch to envisage Nissan suddenly making the jump to a full blown works F1 program...

...mainly because Nissan is owned by Renault these days, and there's no way two engines from the same company would be allowed to compete with each other. And then there's Infiniti, Nissan's luxury brand - remember the plan to brand Red Bull's engines this year as Infiniti instead of Renault?

Also, Nissan is working oon a works LMP1 entry for 2016. WEC just seems to be more interesting for manufacturers.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

well, WEC is not only LMP1 and LMP2, but also GT's, who's in there, Chevrolet i think. I'm not sure what others are in there.
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

This wrote:well, WEC is not only LMP1 and LMP2, but also GT's, who's in there, Chevrolet i think. I'm not sure what others are in there.

In WEC it is just Aston Martin, Ferrari and Porsche and a privateer Chevrolet run by Larbre Competition. In USCC, there is a Chevrolet works team and the SRT Vipers too.