Michael Schumacher skiing accident

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
dr-baker

Re: Michael Schumacher skiing accident

Post by dr-baker »

East Londoner wrote:Put me down as another reader of the "i". I usually buy that and The Times, even though the latter is a Murdoch paper (although it's not too bad). If I'm ever strapped for cash, I just go to the railway station and pick up the Metro. And when I'm in London, Evening Standard it is. :P

The Evening Standard is my favourite newspaper, particularly for the jobs section. But since it became a freebie newspaper, it has been very much harder to obtain outside of central London. And this makes me :( .
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Cynon wrote:
LellaLombardi wrote:Also Lewis Hamilton has posted some very smug pictures of himself on his ski holiday. This man should not be allowed anywhere near social media.

Your first problem is that you're expecting Lewis Hamilton to act like a classy, dignified individual, when in actuality, he has less class than Kyle Busch or any of the hicks that you'll find in NASCAR... except Michael Waltrip. Michael Waltrip exploited a school shooting to get a Daytona 500 ride.

And then ordered Clint Bowyer to spin out as to get another Michael Waltrip Racing driver into the Chase. Don't forget Jeremy Mayfield as he used the most hick drug there is... methamphetamines.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Ataxia wrote:
roblomas52 wrote:The "I" is the only British tabloid that is 1. Trustworthy. And 2. Actually tells you the news. It is also very cheap as well. :D
I still do a paper round every morning and today is no exception

The "i" is just a condensed version of the Independent, which is the only newspaper I will ever buy.

Although the word "tabloid" has a somewhat negative connotation, it's important to remember that it refers to the size of the the newspaper. Besides, The Times and The Indie used to be broadsheets before going for a more compact size, presumably because broadsheets are an absolute nightmare to read in public.

The Telegraph on the other hand are so up themselves that they still haven't bothered to downsize...

Anyway, it seems that the news of Schumi is getting more encouraging over time, but on the (large) assumption of recovery, it will still be frightening to find out if he has any serious brain damage.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
mario

Post by mario »

East Londoner wrote:
LellaLombardi wrote:What I will say in the defence of the Mirror however is that their coverage of this story has been among the best, with regular updates.

Also Lewis Hamilton has posted some very smug pictures of himself on his ski holiday. This man should not be allowed anywhere near social media.

Not only that, but some of the photos show him skiing without a helmet. I can understand him being on holiday before the Schumacher accident, but he could have picked a more appropriate time to share them, surely? :roll:

BBC reporting "stable but critical condition"

If you read the article, it suggests that the photos might actually pre-date Schumacher's accident (they appear to date back to the 25th Dec).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

I thought that was a great piece by DC. If you look at how Ayrton Senna was perceived in the press before he died, he was rarely spoken of as being the greatest ever, the general consensus was that Prost was better, and that like Schumacher he was not above unsportsmanlike behaviour. In the early 1994 races where he was struggling with the Williams and Schumacher was winning, some papers were saying he was past it. It took his death for everyone to realise his greatness.

Schumacher was/is in a fairly unusual position of people eulogising him while he is still alive. Now it is looking much more likely he is going to pull through, so I hope, as DC says, he will be able to see how much he is really respected.
Maria De Villotta will forever be badass. Rest in Peace.
Pulling for Schumi and Jules.
BigG80

Post by BigG80 »

East Londoner wrote:
LellaLombardi wrote:What I will say in the defence of the Mirror however is that their coverage of this story has been among the best, with regular updates.

Also Lewis Hamilton has posted some very smug pictures of himself on his ski holiday. This man should not be allowed anywhere near social media.

Not only that, but some of the photos show him skiing without a helmet. I can understand him being on holiday before the Schumacher accident, but he could have picked a more appropriate time to share them, surely? :roll:

BBC reporting "stable but critical condition"

There is a big difference between cross country skiing and downhill skiing. One of them is on mostly flat ground for a start! I was in Prague the other week and we saw a fair amount of the 2013 Winter Universiade competition from Trentino in Italy and none of the cross country skiers in the biathlon or cross country ski races wore helmets either.

It is just unfortunate that Lewis posted photos of himself on a type of ski while the biggest news story is Michael's accident. And which British newspaper slammed him hardest? The Daily Mail. What a surprise.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

BigG80 wrote:It is just unfortunate that Lewis posted photos of himself on a type of ski while the biggest news story is Michael's accident. And which British newspaper slammed him hardest? The Daily Mail. What a surprise.

The same paper that posted gratuitous photos of the rock that caused the damage.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

shinji wrote:
BigG80 wrote:It is just unfortunate that Lewis posted photos of himself on a type of ski while the biggest news story is Michael's accident. And which British newspaper slammed him hardest? The Daily Mail. What a surprise.

The same paper that posted gratuitous photos of the rock that caused the damage.

I'm surprised the Daily Mail had space to talk about Schumacher's accident, what with the countless Racism, Immigration and Princess Diana columns every bloody day.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

AdrianSutil wrote:
shinji wrote:

I'm surprised the Daily Mail had space to talk about Schumacher's accident, what with the countless Racism, Immigration and Princess Diana columns every bloody day.

Oh they're all over it, which is surprising considering they couldn't stand him when he was actually racing.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Returning back on-topic (and thank goodness that the worst hasn't happed so that it is suitable for this thread to have gone off-topic!), Ferrari are organising a vigil for his birthday...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
TomPryce

Post by TomPryce »

Some people are saying the silent vigil is poor taste, as it's almost as if Ferrari consider him to have passed already. Thing is, silence is far more respectful than having a bunch of randoms making a deafening racket outside his hospital bed, which may further set back his recovery.

As for Michael, I genuinly just want him to pull through. I was always a massive Schumi fan, through the barren years at Ferrari through to his second retirement, and to have an F1 landscape without him seems unimaginable to me.
Remembering a Welsh sporting hero. Pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

Happy Birthday, Michael!
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

Happy Birthday Michael and I hope today brings us some good news.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

The only positve to come out of all this is that I'll probably now always remember MSCs birthday. I've got members of family who dont have that kudos.
Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I doubt Michael's birthday will be a happy one (unless he comes out of his induced coma, of course). But I hope that's it's otherwise an uneventful one.
MCard LOLA
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

What do you do if you're a ailing bunch of extreme-right lunatics whose leader has just been declared bankrupt?

You latch onto celebrity news, that's what. This is so tasteless you can't help but slightly chuckle, whilst facepalming. And on Schumi's birthday as well. :roll:

Anyway, merry birthday to Michael, and let's all hope for more improvement in the next few days.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Happy Birthday Michael Schumacher you utter legend!
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

East Londoner wrote:What do you do if you're a ailing bunch of extreme-right lunatics whose leader has just been declared bankrupt?

You latch onto celebrity news, that's what. This is so tasteless you can't help but slightly chuckle, whilst facepalming. And on Schumi's birthday as well. :roll:

Aah, thank goodness for the BNP. If they didnt keep doing things like that people might end up forgetting what a bunch of abhorrent wastes of humanity they really are. I hope Nick Griffin dies a painful death. What? Christmas is over :evil:
Just For One Day...
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Andrew Benson tweeted Ex-F1 driver Philippe Streiff says Prof Saillant told him Schumacher's life no longer in danger http://t.co/JOLDssIqMl

Good news! :) Hopefully they are true...

Edit: Nicola Pohl (works at BILD): According to Schumachers management information from Philippe Streiff (Michael not in life danger anymore) is NOT correct!

I take it back :(

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

Kehm needs to put out a statement really, even if it's just a "no change" one. The official communication has dried up and that's when rumours start.

EDIT: She's done just that. Possibly a press conference on Monday.
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

East Londoner wrote:What do you do if you're a ailing bunch of extreme-right lunatics whose leader has just been declared bankrupt?

Oh that's just funny. The thought process involved to think that was anything other than an ill-advised, tone-deaf, awkward, and downright stupid thing to say must be impressive. Science can learn things from people as stupid as this.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Man, it's been a really long time now. :(
-*:-
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

About a week?
Just For One Day...
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

Now Angela Merkel has cracked her pelvis while skiing...

Keep all Germans away from the snow!
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

CoopsII wrote:About a week?

Eighth day in a coma today.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

AustralianStig wrote:Now Angela Merkel has cracked her pelvis while skiing...

Germans in the snow has never been a good idea. For example world war two in Russia :P Sorry, i probably better don't go there...
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

This wrote:
AustralianStig wrote:Now Angela Merkel has cracked her pelvis while skiing...

Germans in the snow has never been a good idea. For example world war two in Russia :P Sorry, i probably better don't go there...

Don't mention the war!
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

Well it sounds like communications have gone into lockdown. Another "stable but critical" announcement and no plans for any more press conferences "for the time being". I only hope there is some improvement to the injuries that we just aren't hearing about.
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

Saw this this morning- Fair enough TBH- Michael was one of the most private people in the world. hopefully the media will back off now.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25636948
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

I read on another forum where a guy mentioned a German brainsurgeon had said it could be multiple weeks until they try and wake MS up.
And when they do, there is a 50% risk of Aphasia.

I asked him for a link.
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

I think the privacy issue is that initially when the doctors did the press conferences, they were quite forthcoming with information but everything coming from the Schumacher management has been very vague, so people are seeking more info. It does sound like the media are crossing unacceptable boundaries to get it though.
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

Jocke1 wrote:I read on another forum where a guy mentioned a German brainsurgeon had said it could be multiple weeks until they try and wake MS up.
And when they do, there is a 50% risk of Aphasia.

I asked him for a link.

A friend of mine has aphasia as a result of a car accident many years ago. For a few months her voice was quite slurred, and she has lost her ability to read and write but thanks to text-to-speech and speech recognition software she actually lives a pretty normal life.
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

Some interesting comments from Richard Hammond from the perspective of someone who's recovered from this sort of accident.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01p7lb6
F1 claim to fame - Offending Karun Chandhok 38 minutes into the Korean Grand Prix's FP1.

PSN: SgtPepperThe1st
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Gary Hartstein again on reports, originally from the German newspaper Bild & repeated in some UK publications.
He is downplaying some of the more lurid aspects reported, but it is clear that Schumi remains in a critical condition & he has now been in an induced coma for 18 days.

http://formerf1doc.wordpress.com/2014/0 ... t-reports/
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

Scary reports this morning. Like on the first day, I really hope they aren't true.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

LellaLombardi wrote:Scary reports this morning. Like on the first day, I really hope they aren't true.

The only source in the UK propigating scare stories that Ive seen so far is the bloody Daily Mail and I refuse to use that excuse for a newspaper as a source of information. I have though noticed "brain specialists" being wheeled out to give opinions with only anecdotal information on which to base their prognosis which is equally unhelpful.

No news is still good news.
Just For One Day...
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

The only source I've seen any recent news from is sites that have used The Daily Mail UK as their base source. From what I've heard, they're useless news reporters, so I'll leave it at that. But it suggests some very disturbing news. Whatever the truth, I believe in Michael.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
OsellaFA1L

Post by OsellaFA1L »

go_Rubens wrote:The only source I've seen any recent news from is sites that have used The Daily Mail UK as their base source. From what I've heard, they're useless news reporters, so I'll leave it at that. But it suggests some very disturbing news. Whatever the truth, I believe in Michael.

They don't call it The Daily Fail for nothing. Anyway I wish all the best for Schumi, he is a true legend of our sport
RIP Jules Bianchi

Only Bernie could pay his way out of a bribery court case
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

OsellaFA1L wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:The only source I've seen any recent news from is sites that have used The Daily Mail UK as their base source. From what I've heard, they're useless news reporters, so I'll leave it at that. But it suggests some very disturbing news. Whatever the truth, I believe in Michael.

They don't call it The Daily Fail for nothing. Anyway I wish all the best for Schumi, he is a true legend of our sport

Enough said.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.