2014 Malaysian Gp ROTR

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
rachel1990

2014 Malaysian Gp ROTR

Post by rachel1990 »

I thought I would just open this thread up -

So My Nominations are
Williams- No Wonder that Massa just ignored them when they say things like -Faster THAN YOU!!!!!
Bianchi- Chilton had the beating of him AGAIN this weekend-
Sauber- Mastercard Lotus managed to get a car to the finish- Nothing again from the swiss team.
Podium Interview- Benedict Cumberbatch- Seriously??? Where is Alex Yoong??? Also it was a DRY RACE last year Sherlock!!!

But the Winner is...
Red Bull Pit Wall- Yes the Pit Stop was awful BUT They should have told Dan to stop in the pit lane sooner and THEN they tell him to stay out with a very broken front wing- Maybe Christian was thinking about the spice girls too much.
Last edited by rachel1990 on 30 Mar 2014, 10:14, edited 1 time in total.
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
AxelP800

Re: 2014 Malaysian Gp ROTR

Post by AxelP800 »

Red Bull pit crew - Ruined Ricciardo's race
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

DISHONOURABLE MENTIONS:
1. Raikkonen: lethargic all day
2. Sauber: slow until the cars gave up
3. Rosberg: slower, thirstier and hungrier on tyres than Hamilton...he's lucky he's driving a rocketship, else...

But the Red Bull pit crew takes the cake. Comedy of errors from the front jack man, who was to blame both for the initial problem and then the front wing dislocation.
eytl wrote:I agree. Especially when he talks about one's nerves sending signals 111a and 6783 etc. to the brain upon seeing Ericsson's hairdo.

He's got it all wrong. When I see Ericsson and Chilton's hairdos, the only signal going to my brain is 1049.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Red Bull pit crew - Race went off a cliff
Perez's side of the garage - Checo technically still has no points
Sauber - Sucked again
Cumberbatch - For obvious reasons
Kimi Raikkonen - No points and lapped (bad luck but still...)
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

1. Red Bull - Utterly shameless. Disgusting.
2. Sauber - nowhere.

Dishonourable mention - Kimi. As a huge Kimi fan, it saddens me to say he just seems to be missing his usual flare. Let's hope he finds his mojo again soon.

Edit - also one goes to Cumberbunch. I get he's in vogue right now, but Jesus Christ must be do the podium interview? We have a veritable wealth of intelligent, verbose and interesting personalities directly linked to the sport to choose from.
F1 claim to fame - Offending Karun Chandhok 38 minutes into the Korean Grand Prix's FP1.

PSN: SgtPepperThe1st
Vassago

Post by Vassago »

Felipe Massa for ignoring team orders especially in wake of Bottas' "great atmosphere" comments after Melbourne. Watch his season go downhill from now on.
95 GP / 63 DNF / 5 pts
mario

Post by mario »

Well, where do you start with the nominees? I can think of quite a few suggestions here.

Ricciardo's botched stop - Red Bull threw away a lot of points in the WCC because of that (they are only up to 6th at the moment, behind both Force India and Williams right now). It looks like an error of judgement from the front jack man (it seems that he may have let the car off the jack despite not being given the signal to do so), but it was a rather expensive one to make.

Perez's gearbox - even if Perez couldn't have matched Hulkenberg for outright pace, the misfortunes for Kimi and Magnussen and Williams having backed themselves into the pack meant that points were there for the taking. Force India are currently behind Williams, but they could easily have been in front if Perez had been able to score a few points today.

McLaren - given that Ron Dennis was boasting that the upgrade package they were bringing to Malaysia was going to be worth 0.5s a lap, they seem instead to have become less competitive compared to the form they showed in Melbourne. If their actual form is closer to this level than to what we saw in Melbourne, Ferrari and Red Bull will be past them pretty quickly in the WCC.

Sauber - terrible pace during the race (at one point struggling to fend off Kobayashi) and, to add insult to injury, a double DNF to cap off another uninspired weekend.

Magnussen's penalty - now, my opinion in the matter is that it was really more of a "racing incident": Magnussen went in a little hot but had managed to move about as far as he could to the inside of the turn, and it looked more like Kimi drifted across in order to get a better line for the next turn and to defend his position rather than Magnussen turning into Kimi.

I think that Bianchi deserves a dishonourable mention here too given his accident with Maldonado was very clumsy by his usual standards. Williams, too, deserve some mention - yes, they did manage to make their way into the points to make up for their poor qualifying, but that therefore leaves you wondering what might have been if Williams hadn't been so far back on the grid to begin with. Not only that, there was the somewhat unfortunate situation with Massa too - couldn't they have picked a better phrase to use? - and overall there is a sense that they didn't quite maximise their potential.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

SgtPepper wrote:1. Red Bull - Utterly shameless. Disgusting.

What's this in reference to? I didn't notice them doing anything disgusting or shameless.

Also, I have no problem with Benedict doing the interviews - he can talk well, and he's not Eddie Jordan. He forgot last year's race wasn't wet, so what?
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

My nomination goes to Sauber.
noiceinmydrink

Post by noiceinmydrink »

Red Bull probably deserves a mention for screwing up again, but at least this time it's not the stupidest thing ever like giving the law the finger (seriously, leave that stuff to the Dead Kennedys). Still, Vettel's podium aside, a botched pit stop and a front wing failure spells a bad weekend for the lads. Another mention to Felipe Massa's race engineer (whatever his name is) for a poor choice of words over the radio. Gave me a good chuckle though.

3RD: Sauber. After a horrendous show in Melbourne, a double DNF was the last thing they needed. Doubleplusungood.

2ND: Felipe Massa for being unable to swallow his pride, keep his ego in check and do what's best for the team. Massa, your bad time at Ferrari is no excuse for this nonsense. Bottas was faster, the team told you to move over. It's not favouritism, the team is trying to get the best result they can. And then you have the audacity to complain after the race? I'm a Massa fan, but come on.

ROTR: FIA/The Stewards. A ridiculously harsh penalty for Magnussen for a accident which wasn't his fault and one ridiculous penalty for Ricciardo. This is one of the stupidest penalties I've ever seen. I have no idea why they felt that 10 second stop and go was at all necessary. The idea of the driver being punished for something completely beyond their control is just absurd to me. Give the team a fine or something, giving Daniel a penalty achieves nothing. Just get out. Morons.
Last edited by noiceinmydrink on 30 Mar 2014, 10:55, edited 1 time in total.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Personally, I'd give the award to Jules Bianchi. If you make Maldonado an innocent bystander, you know you done bathplugged up.

...ridiculous penalty for Ricciardo. This is one of the stupidest penalties I've ever seen. I have no idea why they felt that 10 second stop and go was at all necessary. The idea of the driver being punished for something completely beyond their control is just absurd to me.

Pretty certain they have to give that penalty for an unsafe release. Unless you'd like to argue that that release wasn't unsafe...?
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

1. Red Bull pit crew: yep. Twelve points gone for no good reason.
2. Sauber: off the pace then broke down anyway.
3. Stewards: Magnussen put his nose where it didn't fit, Kimi moved across when he should've stayed, they both could've done better and no penalties were needed.
Also Bianchi for a stupid crash—plus he complained about the cause being the puncture which was also his fault—and Williams, not for team orders on its own, but just for that wording.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
noiceinmydrink

Post by noiceinmydrink »

Salamander wrote:Pretty certain they have to give that penalty for an unsafe release. Unless you'd like to argue that that release wasn't unsafe...?

I never said the release was unsafe. I said that they shouldn't have punished Ricciardo for it. Give the team a fine or something.
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

Mexicola wrote:
Salamander wrote:Pretty certain they have to give that penalty for an unsafe release. Unless you'd like to argue that that release wasn't unsafe...?

I never said the release was unsafe. I said that they shouldn't have punished Ricciardo for it. Give the team a fine or something.

I think the point is that the punishment for unsafe release is in the rules, and therefore not the fault of the stewards.
noiceinmydrink

Post by noiceinmydrink »

That's fair enough then. I'll reword my post.
girry

Post by girry »

I'm not totally sure if the Bianchi nominations are fair, I think he said in the interviews that Vergne hit him which caused him to be unable to stop the car early enough. Didn't see the replay properly though.
when you're dead people start listening
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

fjackdaw wrote:

What's this in reference to? I didn't notice them doing anything disgusting or shameless.

Also, I have no problem with Benedict doing the interviews - he can talk well, and he's not Eddie Jordan. He forgot last year's race wasn't wet, so what?

There was a shameless moment. It's called botching up a pitstop by releasing Ricciardo too early and having an unsecure wheel. He loses a lap, get's a broken front wing thanks to the guy with the front jack, loses another lap, gets a stop go penalty, and retires for his troubles because the engine was likely overheated thanks to idling so much.

Anyway, my provisional top 3, as Melbourne proved we should wait a bit to decide ROTR.

3. Ron Dennis - Well, so much for your boasting, the upgrades made your team crap in the race!

2. Sauber F1 Team-Ferrari - Fail and lel are all over them right now. Crap pace, that is on par with Marussia and Caterham, with their asses being swiftly kicked and burnt by Kobayashi and Grosjean, all going into a possible season of waste and regret, and all accumulating in their own anonymous humiliation. What a bad day.

1. Infiniti Red Bull Racing-Renault - I can't fathom how they manage to keep screwing over their drivers this year, car or teamwork. I seriously hope they did not do what Horner was hinting they'd do earlier this weekend (which was possibly the same thing they did in Melbourne) because they needed to prove a point. But the whole situation with Ricciardo in these first 2 races is hideous. They've cost themselves at least 30 points already with their idiocy. I am starting to get to the point where I can't really accept their failures as they are a team that should be doing better then they are now. But right now, with their petty, inexcusable acts, they aren't asking something better of themselves. Which really is a pity.

Dishonorable Mentions

Kimi Räikkönen - Despite the fact he likely had car problems after his puncture, he should have been able to pass Caterham quicker
Felipe Massa's race engineer - Top lel
Jules Bianchi - He made Maldonado look tame
Marussia - Horrid weekend, and lose 10th to Caterham
Ferrari - Didn't have the stuff for Red Bull and Mercedes

giraurd wrote:I'm not totally sure if the Bianchi nominations are fair, I think he said in the interviews that Vergne hit him which caused him to be unable to stop the car early enough. Didn't see the replay properly though.

They are. It was Bianchi who chopped off Vergne. Vergne had a horrible start, which aided in starting thd mess.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

go_Rubens wrote:
fjackdaw wrote:

There was a shameless moment. It's called botching up a pitstop by releasing Ricciardo too early and having an unsecure wheel. He loses a lap, get's a broken front wing thanks to the guy with the front jack, loses another lap, gets a stop go penalty, and retires for his troubles because the engine was likely overheated thanks to idling so much.

Everyone makes mistakes in the heat of battle, and fair enough it's worth a ROTR nomination - but I don't get how it's either shameless or disgusting? It's not like they deliberately set out to cripple Dan's race.
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

My Twitter TL still deserves a nomination, I've now had to start unfollowing people... it seems that if a race is boring now it's all the fault of the new regulations. Meh.

I believe Sauber are a strong candidate indeed.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
SeedStriker

Post by SeedStriker »

Conspiracy aside, another effortless choice

1) Red Bull Pit Crew : If you're gonna choke, do it with Seb Vettel, for God's sake!

2) Sauber: Hopelessly off the pace

Dishonorable mentions to FIA stewards (what the bathplug are you doing?) Checo Perez gearbox (first DNS in a while) and Cumberbatch (the emo in fashion doing interviews? C'mon, man!)

The Oh, Hell! Not Again! Award goes to Felipe Massa for Faster-than-you Gate Part 2
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

AxelP800 wrote:Red Bull pit crew - Ruined Ricciardo's face

Fixed.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
TheBigJ

Post by TheBigJ »

I think Ron Dennis and McLaren should be awarded the prize for their ridiculous boasting and saying they had a potentially championship winning car. On today's evidence they will be fighting for 3rd place with Ferrari and Williams.
IceG

Post by IceG »

giraurd wrote:I'm not totally sure if the Bianchi nominations are fair, I think he said in the interviews that Vergne hit him which caused him to be unable to stop the car early enough. Didn't see the replay properly though.

Yes, it is absolutely clear that Vergne hit him from behind going into the corner; a small piece of bodywork flies off and Bianchi's car starts to squirm as he brakes. I was really surprised that he got the blame in this instance.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

It's got to be Sauber. Sutil and Gutierrez spent their races fighting with Marussias and Caterhams being hopelessly off the pace, and were having their arses handed to them by Grosjean in a still-in-testing Lotus. Add a pinch of "double DNF" to that soup, and you get a grey concoction that tastes of mediocrity.

As much as I'd like to vote for Red Bull's pit crew, that was one split second of madness. Sauber were dreadful for about an hour.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Kimi Raikkonen - I guess there was further damage on the car from the Mags incident, but he spent over 20 laps behind a bathplugging CATERHAM fighting for position. It's like he's lost his motivation already. :|

Red Bull pit crew - Nice job chaps.

People nominating Benedict Cumberbatch - Just because I can. :P

But ROTR has to go to:

Sauber - If they were underwhelming at Albert Park, they were bloody awful here. Legitimately fighting to stay in front of the Caterhams, Grosjean was miles faster in the Lotus, and to cap it off, both cars broke down within 3 laps of each other.

Honourable mention to Jules Bianchi for once again proving why MaxiAttack is better. :mrgreen:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

East Londoner wrote:
People nominating Benedict Cumberbatch - Just because I can. :P

Same here!
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

I would like to add all those who nominated Bianchi, Vergne himself owned up that Bianchi's puncture was his fault.

Seems some people are taking the Chilton love on this forum too seriously. :roll:

I'm sure Jocke will come up with a 0-2 meme soon, but I won't mind that. What I will mind is people thinking Chilton is actually good, because he isn't.
eytl wrote:I agree. Especially when he talks about one's nerves sending signals 111a and 6783 etc. to the brain upon seeing Ericsson's hairdo.

He's got it all wrong. When I see Ericsson and Chilton's hairdos, the only signal going to my brain is 1049.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

wsrgo wrote:Seems some people are taking the Chilton love on this forum too seriously. :roll:

Who said that had anything to do with it?
Everything's great.
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

Salamander wrote:
wsrgo wrote:Seems some people are taking the Chilton love on this forum too seriously. :roll:

Calm down, Salamander, I was only joking...the last line was just a reminder of sorts, but the rest is all in good fun..

Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

wsrgo wrote:
Salamander wrote:

Calm down, Salamander, I was only joking...the last line was just a reminder of sorts, but the rest is all in good fun..

In that case, where can I buy tickets for your comedy shows?
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

wsrgo wrote:What I will mind is people thinking Chilton is actually good, because he isn't.

Apart from the fact that he is.

Yes, Bianchi's the better driver, I know that, but what's to dislike about Chilton? And he certainly isn't as bad as the internet and other forums make him out to be.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Sauber for the only team having a double mechanical retirement, Red Bull's pit crew for destroying another potential result for Ricciardo that he could have claimed (fourth place was on the cards), Perez' car for not letting him start the race... or how about the stewards giving ridiculous penalties. (Good job destroying Rick's race.)

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

wsrgo wrote:
Salamander wrote:

Why are you telling me to calm down? Was there anything particularly inflammatory in my previous post? Because I'm not seeing it. Sure, okay, we make a mistake about Bianchi, but why bring Chilton into it?

Shizuka wrote:...or how about the stewards giving ridiculous penalties. (Good job destroying Rick's race.)

Pretty certain it was Red Bull who destroyed Ricciardo's race, not the stewards. Unless you're referring to the 10-place grid drop, to which I say, well, we'll have to see about that, won't we? ;)
Everything's great.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Salamander wrote:
Shizuka wrote:...or how about the stewards giving ridiculous penalties. (Good job destroying Rick's race.)

Pretty certain it was Red Bull who destroyed Ricciardo's race, not the stewards. Unless you're referring to the 10-place grid drop, to which I say, well, we'll have to see about that, won't we? ;)

Yeah, I'm refering to that. Starting from 11th at best will require some skillful driving to get a podium result.
And Red Bull destroyed his race in Malaysia, but that combined with the penalty will make a bid to do the same in Bahrain though, :( We'll have to see indeed.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

ROTR: Sauber. And I thought Lotus was gonna be the team struggling early on. Followed up a disappointing first race with an ominously horrid one. Were fighting with the backmarker regulars for most of the race and seemed to just wither during Kobayashi's charges. Topped with a double DNF and Grosjean's surprising run today and things don't look well for the Swiss team as the season goes on.

(Dis)hounorable Mentions:
Kimi Raikkonen. I know he had his start botched by Magnussen slicing his back-right tire, but if you're struggling to break out of backmarker-land in one of the better cars of the field, there is more than the car to blame...
Felipe Massa. A small-scale repeat of last year with Mercedes. Should've let his teammate past to go after Button, but I guess race control's choice of words rubbed him the wrong way.
Ricciardo's Pit Crew. Proves that not even Red Bull's lightning-fast pitcrews are immune to mistakes, but it just happened at the worst possible time and again screwed over the strong run of Red Bull's promising second driver.
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

McLaren - because they were crap all weekend, Magnussen made a rookie error which wouldn't have been shocking had he not made none at all last weekend, and a fool could see that it would be worth delaying his first stop until after the stewards verdict so that he could take it then. Jenson did his best, but as others have said it looks like the last race was a false dawn.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Red Bull Pit Crew: Comedy of Errors! One of the few things that kept me awake!
Sauber: How do I double-DNF?
Kimi Raikkonen: Totally not a #2 driver.
Williams: Williams were being their usual sh*thead selves, clinging to their past image of "the racer's racer" and yet they throw team orders out. Bathplug off with that!!! That image is so damn phony it might as well have been crafted by Ron Dennis.
KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN: For no Alex Yoong
People nominating people who nominate someone else: Because I can be a little snot too. :|
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Barbazza wrote:Magnussen made a rookie error

Much as Magnussen was kicking himself after the race, I didn't really see what happened as his fault. He held his line right on the inside - Raikkonen was the one who was moving across the track. More of a racing incident than anything else.
Everything's great.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Think all the other nominations pale in comparison to Sauber. They were racing Caterhams and Marussias then a double DNF. Oh dear.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Kobacrashi

Post by Kobacrashi »

Has to go to the fia for the award of a double penalty on D-RIC.

How can they justify a 10 second penalty and a 10 place grid drop for the next race.

And Sauber too, seriously WTF?
Kobayashi is back! Need I say more!