RIP Nigel Stepney

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Londoner

RIP Nigel Stepney

Post by Londoner »

Sad news just being reported on Twitter is that Nigel Stepney, the mechanic involved in the Spygate mess several years ago, has been killed in a road accident today. Whilst he was mostly remembered for his role in Spygate, he was also an engineer for Senna and Schumi.

RIP Nigel
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: RIP Nigel Stepney

Post by pasta_maldonado »

This was a shock... Autosport are reporting it here.

A tragic accident. RIP Nigel.
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Wow, what a shock. Sad times, indeed. Was he affiliated to any team at the moment?
Just For One Day...
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Jaysus that's really sad, RIP.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
W12

Post by W12 »

Absolutely terrible news. Rest in peace.
Born on the same day as HWNSNBM!

Fan of: Ricciardo, Räikkönen and Marussia (R.I.P?).
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

RIP. I've just read his obituary on Autosport - apparently he was one of the Ferrari mechanics hit by Albereto's tyre at Imola 1994 20 years and 1 day ago. A controversial character but a sad end to his life nonetheless.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

This is very sad. The fact that his last full day of life was the 20th anniversary of the Imola weekend where he was injured by a pit incident makes it seem very eerie.

He was a controversial figure, being one of the main guys in the Crashgate saga. However, any death is sad, and this is no different.

RIP Nigel Stepney.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

It doesnt sound like a simple accident to me, based on the police statement. It appears he just got out of his van, of which theres no mention of it being broken down, and walked in front of a lorry moving at high speed.
Just For One Day...
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but local murmurings are reporting its a suicide. I live in Ashford and the section between junction 9 and 10 (the two Ashford junctions, separated by about two miles) are notorious for suicides. There's two bridges overlooking the motorway which sees a handful of suicides each month and also several easily-accessible walkways. Plus, this happened at around half 1 in the morning so it seems a bit strange to be unaware of traffic at that time of night. I really hope it's not true, but it seems unlikely.

RIP Nigel.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

You have to wonder if its connected to the events of Imola and his own fall from grace, its quite the coincidence. Shame.
Just For One Day...
mario

Post by mario »

AdrianSutil wrote:I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but local murmurings are reporting its a suicide. I live in Ashford and the section between junction 9 and 10 (the two Ashford junctions, separated by about two miles) are notorious for suicides. There's two bridges overlooking the motorway which sees a handful of suicides each month and also several easily-accessible walkways. Plus, this happened at around half 1 in the morning so it seems a bit strange to be unaware of traffic at that time of night. I really hope it's not true, but it seems unlikely.

RIP Nigel.

I would rather hope that is not the case, but I can see why there would be those who wonder about what has happened given the slightly unusual circumstances. It's also a real shame that, despite the success he has had earlier and later in his career, that nevertheless the reports are still coloured by the "Spygate" affair that has ever since been weighing him down.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

That's really sad to hear, RIP. Did he leave anyone behind?
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:That's really sad to hear, RIP. Did he leave anyone behind?

He was 56 years-old and leaves his loving partner and daughter, Ash and Sabine Stepney.
-*:-
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

This is terrible news to hear. RIP Nigel.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
pher38

Post by pher38 »

RIP Nigel.

It's fair to say that both Nigel Stepney and Mike Coughlan were made into the 'scapegoats' in the whole 'spygate' affair, in an extremely competitive sport where espionage was and possibly still is fairly common.

The whole saga must have left a deep personal trauma for both him and his family. Does this raise questions at all about how people are treated in the political games of F1?
"Lap 20 and I do hope for the sake of the gallant hard trying Simtek team that their car with Jos Verstappen keeps running, his team mate Schiattarella is also still running in 13th place but Jos Verstappen from Holland..is in sixth position!"
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Very nasty news. RIP Nigel and my thoughts are with his family.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

Rest in peace Nigel.
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there