2014 British GP RotR

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
TomPryce

2014 British GP RotR

Post by TomPryce »

Have to say, Sauber were once again anonymous. Awful.
Remembering a Welsh sporting hero. Pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.
Salamander

Re: 2014 British GP RotR

Post by Salamander »

Yeah, but we expect them to be anonymous. What we don't expect is for Kimi Raikkonen to drop it on lap 1 after 4 corners like a total noob. :|
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
LukeB

Post by LukeB »

Raikkonen. Dropped it all by himself, ruined Massas 200th GP, and caused a red flag along with the hour long delay on lap 1.
Last edited by LukeB on 06 Jul 2014, 14:52, edited 1 time in total.
Making up the numbers
Dj_bereta

Re: British GP Rotr

Post by Dj_bereta »

Either Raikkonen or Gutierrez. But I give my award for Kimi, since we don't expect a champion doing a mistake like he did. Also, no surprise if Gutierrez get a race ban because the penalty points system in the future.

Special Mention to:

Force India: Dreadful weekend.
Sauber: Another weekend, another repair bill. And we expected a big repair bill for Lotus in this year...
Brazilian tv coverage: STOP TALKING ABOUT NEYMAR JR! geez...
Last edited by Dj_bereta on 06 Jul 2014, 15:19, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

I see 2 or 3 nominees for this:

Kimi Raikkonen:
Kimi, please... Stahp. I'm sorry that you crash but please... I never though I would say this, but leave F1.

The Vettel/Alonso bitching:
You two gave us one hell of a battle... And then you started to bitch about each other. Clear ROTR worthy.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
SeedStriker

Post by SeedStriker »

1)Kimi Raikkonen: You're not driving in the WRC anymore! Not only it was a rookie mistake, but could be one that take him out of the car for a while.

2)Vettel/Alonso lover quarrel: The duel was good, but the bitching was no good!

Dishonorable mentions to Sauber (tumbling down), Caterham (new sponsors, new head honcho, same rejects)

The Why Always Me in Silverstone Award goes to Felipe Massa: That's no way to celebrate 200 GP, Felipe Baby :p
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

1. Anyone who nominates Raikkonen. Don't think why
2. The ROTR award itself
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

just a nomination for the gearbox in rosberg's car... nothing to see here move along please, these aren't the droids you are looking for.....
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

TomPryce wrote:Have to say, Sauber were once again anonymous. Awful.

Sutil was near the points at one point to be fair and besides there were worse performers out there.

Not serious mention: Dontirri for spelling Bottas wrong :P

Now for serious mentions

Force India: So where was that excellent race pace today? They were just so quiet
Felipe Massa: Had an absolute weekend from hell. Silverstone sure delivers some terrible performances for him (2002 2008 2014)
Vettel/Alonso moaning: A shame it tainted the battle a little bit especially for Seb having put to bed the doubts about his overtaking

But for me ROTR goes to:

Kimi Raikkonen: Rookie mistake mate. You could have just avoided the grassy bump. Also ruined Felipe's 200th race :evil:
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

I'd like to add an honourable mention for people complaining about Alonso and Vettel whining at each other. Come on guys, that was just hilarious! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Everything's great.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Force India: This better have been an aberration, otherwise they're screwed in the WCC. Plus Hulk is slipping into anonymity as shown in Austria and Canada.
Kimi Raikkonen: Potentially re-signed for 2015?! Ferrari, you can forget about him. :P
Esteban Gutierrez: Revenge attack on Maldonado after what happened in Bahrain didn't go too well...
Last edited by good_Ralf on 06 Jul 2014, 15:18, edited 1 time in total.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:Not serious mention: Dontirri for spelling Bottas wrong :P

In my defence I was typing from my phone while trying to watch the race :P (Damn small keypads on smartphones :/)

Also, I REALLY don't agree with Kimi-nominations. If you watch the replays properly you'll see that the car was already nervous on the two preceding corners, he clashed with a Sauber on the way TO the corner, lost grip and went wide. And when he got back, hit a bump which sent the car airborne. Not much he coulda done. Atleast he was trying to improve on his position (he had passed ex. Alonso already)

I'll personally nominate The Stewards for taking a frigging hour to fix the barriers
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
Ben Gilbert

Post by Ben Gilbert »

DonTirri wrote:

In my defence I was typing from my phone while trying to watch the race :P (Damn small keypads on smartphones :/)

Also, I REALLY don't agree with Kimi-nominations. If you watch the replays properly you'll see that the car was already nervous on the two preceding corners, he clashed with a Sauber on the way TO the corner, lost grip and went wide. And when he got back, hit a bump which sent the car airborne. Not much he coulda done. Atleast he was trying to improve on his position (he had passed ex. Alonso already)

I'll personally nominate The Stewards for taking a frigging hour to fix the barriers

He could have slowed down and re-approached the circuit more cautiously, having learned from Petrov's accident in 2011 that there is never going to be a wholly-smooth route back to the circuit over grass. But no, you're right; no driver should ever slow down for any reason ever.
Cynon wrote:Look further down the field, enjoy the view of the little guys and/or crap drivers in cars too good for them giving their all for a meager result.

Because that's what I thought this forum celebrates the most.
LukeB

Post by LukeB »

Ben Gilbert wrote:But no, you're right; no driver should ever slow down for any reason ever.

I'm not sure why you think wildly misrepresenting another persons position makes you more convincing...?
Making up the numbers
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

LukeB wrote:
Ben Gilbert wrote:But no, you're right; no driver should ever slow down for any reason ever.

I'm not sure why you think wildly misrepresenting another persons position makes you more convincing...?

That's internet for you.
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

Guttierrez for his revenge ram raid over Maldonado.
Message me on Discord.
Ben Gilbert

Post by Ben Gilbert »

DonTirri wrote:
LukeB wrote:

That's internet for you.

Okay, fair cop; that was very harsh of me and I apologise. Sorry :)

But still, I see this far too often in racing of recent years; drivers simply refusing to slow down even in moments of crisis, as if blasting across slick grass or back to the pits on three wheels is an entirely justifiable action and will not in any way compromise their race more than simply easing off for a moment.

I still think Raikkonen deserves it, though: poor in qualifying--even if both Ferraris were out in Q1, he was still seven-tenths slower--and a driver of his experience should know better than to re-enter the pack in such a way. Even if he couldn't have known that the bump was there, to blunder back into the path of cars at full speed in the manner that he did is simply dangerous, and if Vadim Kogay can be mocked for it, I do not see any reason why Raikkonen should recieve leniency.
Cynon wrote:Look further down the field, enjoy the view of the little guys and/or crap drivers in cars too good for them giving their all for a meager result.

mario

Post by mario »

Ben Gilbert wrote:
DonTirri wrote:

He could have slowed down and re-approached the circuit more cautiously, having learned from Petrov's accident in 2011 that there is never going to be a wholly-smooth route back to the circuit over grass. But no, you're right; no driver should ever slow down for any reason ever.

It's in some ways a difficult thing to judge, because if he rejoined the track at very low speed there is a chance that somebody coming up at high speed behind him could be caught out by the difference in closing speed and run into the back of him. It is perhaps a rash move by Kimi to keep his foot it, but at the same time understandable.

I'm personally inclined to nominate Force India for ROTR - the other teams had reported that they were unusually slow in the free practise sessions, and it showed during the race (Hulkenberg was lucky to finish in the points whilst Perez slid out of the points due to picking up damage at the start). Gutierrez's lunge down the inside of Maldonado deserves a mention too for being rather overambitious - as for a more abstract nomination, I'd tempted to give a sly nod to Ron Dennis for criticising Button for not being fast enough against Magnussen over a weekend where he convincingly beat Magnussen.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Surely the main reason for the violence of Kimi's crash was whatever he hit coming back to the circuit, not the spin in itself?
So give it to the circuit by all means (especially since I hate Silverstone anyway) but giving it to Kimi is just daft.

And I agree that Vettel and Alonso's whinging was entertaining - in Vettel's case he hasn't had much chance to actually race this season, he'd probably forgotten what it was all about!

So it has go to Gutierrez for that spectacularly stupid move (if you can call it that) on Maldonado. He really needs to be shown the exit door now I think.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Valterri Bottas's podium was the only thing that went right for Williams this weekend, so I nominate Williams for their whole weekend barring Bottas in the race, if that's possible?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
LukeB

Post by LukeB »

Ben Gilbert wrote:and a driver of his experience should know better than to re-enter the pack in such a way. Even if he couldn't have known that the bump was there, to blunder back into the path of cars at full speed in the manner that he did is simply dangerous, and if Vadim Kogay can be mocked for it, I do not see any reason why Raikkonen should recieve leniency.

And here I'm in total agreement with you :D
Making up the numbers
Ben Gilbert

Post by Ben Gilbert »

mario wrote:
Ben Gilbert wrote:
DonTirri wrote:

It's in some ways a difficult thing to judge, because if he rejoined the track at very low speed there is a chance that somebody coming up at high speed behind him could be caught out by the difference in closing speed and run into the back of him. It is perhaps a rash move by Kimi to keep his foot it, but at the same time understandable.

Eh... I can't say I disagree with you entirely; there would definitely have been a risk of such a collision occuring. At the same time, I think that by slowing down Raikkonen could have given himself more time to pick a safer route back onto the circuit, and given other drivers more time to both notice and avoid him on re-entry, if they weren't already past him by the time he would have rejoined. While I can understand the safety reasons for entering at as close to racing speed as possible, at the same time it also ensured that any mistake or collision, the likelihood of which was always going to be high, would involve much more energy and cause much more damage.

In short, it was understandable, but I don't think it was justifiable given the risks involved.

wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

Raikkonen.
eytl wrote:I agree. Especially when he talks about one's nerves sending signals 111a and 6783 etc. to the brain upon seeing Ericsson's hairdo.

He's got it all wrong. When I see Ericsson and Chilton's hairdos, the only signal going to my brain is 1049.
mario

Post by mario »

Barbazza wrote:Surely the main reason for the violence of Kimi's crash was whatever he hit coming back to the circuit, not the spin in itself?
So give it to the circuit by all means (especially since I hate Silverstone anyway) but giving it to Kimi is just daft.

And I agree that Vettel and Alonso's whinging was entertaining - in Vettel's case he hasn't had much chance to actually race this season, he'd probably forgotten what it was all about!

So it has go to Gutierrez for that spectacularly stupid move (if you can call it that) on Maldonado. He really needs to be shown the exit door now I think.

At the moment, it seems that Gutierrez's wallet is too large to prevent him fitting through the exit door...
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

mario wrote:
Barbazza wrote:Surely the main reason for the violence of Kimi's crash was whatever he hit coming back to the circuit, not the spin in itself?

At the moment, it seems that Gutierrez's wallet is too large to prevent him fitting through the exit door...

Thanks for the new sig mario
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Well, Felipe Massa gave a great lesson in what happens when you have 2 wheels on one surface, 2 wheels on another, and you leave your foot in the throttle on Friday. I dunno why Kimi went wide in the first place, since I'm pretty sure Alonso or Massa or someone else in the back managed to stay on the outside line side-by-side through turn 4 without firing off into the run-off.

But nobody forced Kimi to rejoin at that point on the circuit at that speed, and he's lucky he didn't cause a bigger accident as a result. It was always going to be a tricky situation rejoining with the bottom half of the field raging to his left, but he certainly could've done more to avoid an accident by simply lifting off and rejoining at the tail end of the field. Sure, it would've been frustrating, but he still could've fought his way through the field as Alonso did brilliantly, instead of having his race end a few hundred yards further down the road.
Everything's great.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Kimi Raikkonen -- Just retire at the end of this year, you useless muppet.
The Predictability of F1 -- I did not watch this race live. I checked the front page of Autosport and then asked the awesome people in IRC if anything happened before I decided to watch it. Can't wait for 2015.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

Rosberg's gearbox - Robbed us of the potential of an exciting battle for the win.
WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
mrfakeboullier

Post by mrfakeboullier »

Kimi Raikkonen-Anonymous in quali, all but anonymous in the race. For the wrong reasons.
Honourable Mentions:
Rosberg's gearbox. Great job in holding together and giving your championship rival 7 extra points, effectively free of charge.
Lewis Hamilton. Yes, a win, and a great start but a dodgy Q3 and also unable to pass Nico on track until his problem. Shoot me. I dare you.
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

DonTirri wrote:I'll personally nominate The Stewards for taking a frigging hour to fix the barriers

I don't imagine the stewards went down to fix the barriers themselves, or had anything to do with the fixing process. I would also imagine that the barriers took as long to fix as was required to fix them.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Two drivers are head and shoulders above the rest for this award.

Esteban Gutierrez - Yeah, I'll just steam down the inside going into Club like I haven't got a care in the world. Can't see a problem here...

But ROTR surely has to go to

Kimi Raikkonen - Yeah, I'll just keep my foot on the throttle going over a bumpy grass verge whilst on cold tyres. Can't see a problem here...
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Esteban Gutierez gets my vote for the pure incompitence he has shown at this race... and the season so far.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
mario

Post by mario »

East Londoner wrote:Esteban Gutierrez - Yeah, I'll just steam down the inside going into Club like I haven't got a care in the world. Can't see a problem here...

And for good measure he has picked up a three place grid penalty for crashing into Maldonado after it was judged that Gutierrez was "predominantly at fault" for the collision. http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/07/06/a ... ado-crash/
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:
mario wrote:

Thanks for the new sig mario

And my new sig as well.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

Kimi...again. Now I'm never one to wish that someone be hurt but I bet Ferrari are hoping that he will have to sit out a few races and that could enable them to forge a crafty exit out of their contract with him.
Maria De Villotta will forever be badass. Rest in Peace.
Pulling for Schumi and Jules.
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

I will have to say Kimi for this race- could have killed himself and cancelled the race....
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

Vettel; my two ultimate dislikes in a driver - hopeless wheel to wheel, and bitching on the radio. Not to mention once again outdone by Ricky. Pathetic.

Dishonourable mentions;
-Rosberg's gearbox for robbing us of a race for the lead,
-Kimi for that silly and relatively amateurish mistake (the crash wasn't so much his fault, there was clearly some bump or drain somewhere),
-Whatever was the wrong with the Force India today,
-Gutierrez
-Hamilton's hair on the podium,
-The shameless trophies.
F1 claim to fame - Offending Karun Chandhok 38 minutes into the Korean Grand Prix's FP1.

PSN: SgtPepperThe1st
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

SgtPepper wrote:Vettel;... - hopeless wheel to wheel

Yes, because taking 13 laps to pass Fernando Alonso means that you are hopeless in wheel-to-wheel combat. Because we all know that Alonso is an absolute breeze to overtake. Not one to fight for his position at all, that Fernando Alonso. Well known for his easy-going nature and laid back attitude on the track, is Alonso.
Last edited by Salamander on 06 Jul 2014, 21:40, edited 1 time in total.
Everything's great.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I don't think Raikkonen deserves the ROTR award as I suspect that any driver on the grid would have kept their foot in it after going off there. Yes, it was somewhat dangerous and he paid the price but anyone who's a racer would not want to give up positions there and actually on most circuits you would get away with it. Unfortunately, Silverstone is one of the few venues that has grass patches between the circuit and the run-off; enough to catch him out. I think the incident actually proves that Kimi still cares about F1, he didn't pull out and didn't want to give up the positions.

I thought about awarding my ROTR to Alonso and Vettel for the silly amount of whining about track limits but I'll let them get away with it because it didn't stop them from doing some spectacular wheel to wheel racing that a lot of drivers in the field would not be capable of. SgtPepper, I'm not sure what you're talking about Vettel being useless wheel-to-wheel, that's a very old perception which I think has been proven wrong many times recently.

Instead, I think Esteban Gutierrez by far deserves the award the most. The Sauber actually looked reasonably strong around Silverstone, but he binned it in qualifying and then lacked pace in the race before his clumsy clash with Maldonado. It takes a lot to make me feel sorry for Pastor so Esteban deserves ROTR just for that!
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Gutierrez for his revenge job from Bahrain. :)
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)