Contracted F1 drivers who never got to race

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
girry

Contracted F1 drivers who never got to race

Post by girry »

So, as it seems like Alex Rossi will join this list of officially contracted F1 race drivers who, for a reason or another (such as having their team fold or contract undone), never got to race after all....I thought of actually finding the list of racing drivers who had a (confirmed) F1 contract in hand at some point but never got to the race itself. However, not even my Google could find the list despite my best efforts, so I thought of actually making the list.

For sure, the ones I can remember off the top of my head won't even nearly compose the complete list, so I hope the F1Rejects community will assist me finding the rest - or, alternatively, have a better Google than me and link an already-made list... :mrgreen:

Here we go:

Raymond Mays - 1950 ERA
Giovanni Bracco - 1950 Ferrari
Luigi de Filippis - 1950 Ferrari
Luigi Platé - 1950 Talbot-Lago
Franco Bardoni - 1950 Talbot-Lago
Francis Rochat - 1951 Gordini
Erik Lundgren - 1951 EL
Gianni Marzotto - 1951 Ferrari
Alfred Dattner - 1952 Gordini
Casimiro de Oliveira - 1958 Maserati
Geoff Duke - 1961 Cooper
Peter Monteverdi - 1961 MBM
Menato Boffa - 1961 Cooper
Ken Miles - 1961 Lotus
Rob Slotemaker - 1962 Porsche
Gary Hocking - 1962 Lotus
Syd van der Dryver - 1962 Lotus
Carlo Abate - 1962 Lotus, 1963 Porsche
Ernie de Vos - 1963 Stebro
Thomas Monarch - 1963 Lotus
Alex Blignaut - 1965 Cooper
David Clapham - 1965 Cooper
Ray Reed - 1965 RE
Mauro Bianchi - 1968 Alpine
Jorge de Bagration - 1974 Surtees
Karl Oppitzhauser - 1976 March
Ricardo Londoño - 1981 Ensign
Fulvio Ballabio - 1984 Spirit
Jari Nurminen - 1988 Coloni
Giovanni Aloi - 1991 GLAS
Anthony Reid - 1992 Jordan
Akihiko Nakaya - 1992 Brabham
Jordi Gené - 1993 Bravo
Ivan Arias - 1993 Bravo*
Olivier Gavin - 1995 Pacific
Katsumi Yamamoto - 1995 Pacific
Harri Toivonen - 1995 Pacific
Christophe Bouchut - 1995 Larrousse
Emmanuele Collard - 1996 DAMS
Christian Pescatori - 1996 Durango*
Sébastien Loeb - 2009 Toro Rosso
José María López - 2010 USF1
James Rossiter - 2010 USF1
Luiz Razia - 2013 Marussia
Josef Král - 2013 HRT*
Sergey Sirotkin - 2014 Sauber
Alexander Rossi - 2014 Marussia

I'll try to edit the list as more cases are found...
Last edited by girry on 26 Aug 2014, 18:53, edited 8 times in total.
when you're dead people start listening
good_Ralf

Re: Contracted F1 drivers who never got to race

Post by good_Ralf »

Technically you could count MasterCard Lola driver Vincenzo Sospiri in Australia 1997. He qualified but couldn't start as he was 11 seconds off pole.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

good_Ralf wrote:Technically you could count MasterCard Lola driver Vincenzo Sospiri in Australia 1997. He qualified but couldn't start as he was 11 seconds off pole.

In fact, you might as well count all the drivers in this list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Fo ... for_a_race
#FreeGonzo
girry

Post by girry »

True, but what differentiates poor Vincenzo from Rossi & co. is that he participated in a Grand Prix weekend with the intention to make an attempt to qualify for the race itself, and is thus qualified as an actual F1 driver; whereas I'm looking to list the ones who aren't qualified as F1 drivers but at some point had contracts to do so. Probably I gave the topic a bad title?
Bobby Doorknobs

Didn't Jósef Kral have a contract with HRT for 2013?
giraurd wrote:Probably I gave the topic a bad title?

I don't think there's anything wrong with the title, but you could probably edit the original post to clarify what you mean. :)
#FreeGonzo
girry

Post by girry »

Yep, shouldn't have forgotten abut Král! (Although I'll add an asterisk for that it was his own words and the team never lasted long enough to make an official announcement)
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Is this list restricted to drivers who never had a drive anywhere else? Because Hideki Noda was signed to drive in 1995 for Simtek...
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Bobby Doorknobs

I think you can add Oliver Gavin to the list. He was supposed to drive for Pacific in 1995, but was refused a Super Licence.
I had a look at unraced F1 cars and found some drivers who were attached to some ill-fated projects. The reliability of the sources vary:
Fulvio Ballabio: Ekström, 1986. Some sources claim it was actually intended for either Mauro Baldi or Philippe Alliot
Giovanni Aloi: GLAS, 1991. Supposed to drive for them before they became Modena-Lamborghini.
Jordi Gené: Bravo F1, 1993. Project scrapped after the death of owner Jean-Pierre Mosnier.
Ivan Arias: Bravo F1, 1993. See above.
Emmanuel Collard: DAMS, 1996. Abandoned after they failed to obtain financial backing.
Christian Pescatori: Durango, 1996. http://8w.forix.com/6thgear/durango-p01.jpg Judging from the language of the article it appears that he was certainly attached to this project, possibly with a race contract.
#FreeGonzo
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

Simtek wrote:I think you can add Oliver Gavin to the list. He was supposed to drive for Pacific in 1995, but was refused a Super Licence.

Similarly, Katsumi Yamamoto was scheduled to drive in the Pacific and Japanese GPs for Pacific that season, but he was also denied a Super Licence.
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
girry

Post by girry »

tommykl wrote:Is this list restricted to drivers who never had a drive anywhere else? Because Hideki Noda was signed to drive in 1995 for Simtek...

Thought that without the restriction the list could go on for a while - remembering all the Trullis @ Caterham 2012, Inoues @ Minardi 1996, Kimis @ Ferrari 2010 etc etc...but I could put them onto OP too if people have interest in digging them up.

Gavin and Yamamoto will qualify!

Also found Jari Nurminen claim he had signed a contract with Coloni for 1988, but similarly, superlicense troubles denied him...

I cannot find any proof that Ballabio had anything to do with Ekström? Aloi seems to have been the driver GLAS intended to field, but there's no mention of a contract...

Jordi Gené will qualify, but Arias seems to have been mentioned only as a possible future driver?

Collard and Pescatori will qualify as well, although the Durango effort's validity seems a bit shady...
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Didn't know Jari Nurminen claimed to have had a F1 race contract (only knew he tested for Arrows in... 1986 was it?). However, Harri Toivonen (brother of the late rally legend Henri) was allegedly one of the drivers contracted to Pacific in 1995, but didn't race because of sponsorship troubles: http://www.saunalahti.fi/~sut/suomiF1.html (in Finnish).
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
girry

Post by girry »

Forgot about Toivonen as well, thanks!

http://f1-areena.fi/content.php?248-Haa ... i-Nurminen (in finnish, as well)

In this one Nurminen claims having had contracts from both Coloni and Arrows, but I've found another source where he says he didn't sign the Arrows one. Go figure..
Bobby Doorknobs

Two more possibilities:
Sébastien Loeb was supposed to drive for Toro Rosso in Abu Dhabi 2009 but was refused a Super Licence and Jorge de Bagration, who is of course profiled on this site. Jorge was supposed to drive in the 1974 Spanish GP in a privately entered Surtees but... they lost the entry list and his name didn't appear on the new one and for that reason couldn't race. Full story here.
#FreeGonzo
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Scottish touring car veteran Anthony Reid had agreed a contract with Jordan in 1992, but it stipulated coughing up £2.5 million in sponsorship, which he failed to amass in time for the start of the season.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

What about Alex Caffi and Enrico Bertaggia, who had Andrea Moda contracts in 1992, but neither car ran in any official session in either South Africa or Mexico before they were dumped in favour of Roberto Moreno and Perry McCarthy in races where the team did actually run?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
W12

Post by W12 »

dr-baker wrote:What about Alex Caffi and Enrico Bertaggia, who had Andrea Moda contracts in 1992, but neither car ran in any official session in either South Africa or Mexico before they were dumped in favour of Roberto Moreno and Perry McCarthy in races where the team did actually run?
Both drove for other teams, as well, so I guess they won't count.
Born on the same day as HWNSNBM!

Fan of: Ricciardo, Räikkönen and Marussia (R.I.P?).
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

W12 wrote:
dr-baker wrote:What about Alex Caffi and Enrico Bertaggia, who had Andrea Moda contracts in 1992, but neither car ran in any official session in either South Africa or Mexico before they were dumped in favour of Roberto Moreno and Perry McCarthy in races where the team did actually run?
Both drove for other teams, as well, so I guess they won't count.

Ooops. I'd forgotten they had driven for other teams. Sorry!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

What about Masami Kuwashima? Or is he ineligible due to his free practice appearance?

Also, Akihiko Nakaya was going to drive for Brabham in 1992, but as the FIA didn't recognise FNippon as a valid superlicense platform at the time he was replaced by... Giovanna Amati!
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Bobby Doorknobs

Some more drivers:

Casimiro de Oliveira (1958): The man who organised the first World Championship Portuguese Grand Prix was also entered for the event in a Maserati, but withdrew after a failed test.
Geoff Duke (1961): The motorcycle legend was supposed to drive a Cooper entered by Fred Tuck Cars in the German GP but the car wasn't ready in time for the race.
Peter Monteverdi (1961): The founder of Monteverdi himself entered his own MBM car for Germany but withdrew after he was injured in the non-championship Solitude Grand Prix.
Menato Boffa (1961): Privately entered a Cooper for Monza but withdrew.
Ken Miles (1961): Privately entered a Lotus for the Glen but withdrew.
Rob Slotemaker (1962): Entered the Dutch GP with one of Carel Godin de Beaufort's Porsches, but the car wasn't ready in time for the event.
Gary Hocking (1962): One of the great "what if" stories of motor racing. Made the switch from bikes to cars and entered a Lotus for the South African GP. Sadly, he was killed before the event in the non-championship Natal Grand Prix.
Syd van der Vyver (1962): Privately entered a Lotus for South Africa but had to withdraw after wreaking it in the Natal GP.
Carlo Abate (1962-63): Entered two Grands Prix separately for Scuderia Serenissima (in a Lotus) and Giovanni Volpi (in a Porsche) but withdrew on both occasions.
Ernie de Vos (1963): Was supposed to drive a second Stebro at the Glen but only Peter Broeker's car arrived.
Thomas Monarch (1963): Privately entered a Lotus for Mexico but withdrew.
Alex Blignaut (1965): Privately entered a Cooper for South Africa but withdrew.
David Clapham (1965): Same as Blignaut.
Ray Reed (1965): Entered his home-made "RE" for South Africa but was killed in a plane crash before the race.
Karl Oppitzhauser (1976): Was supposed to race in the Austrian GP driving a March for the ÖASC Racing Team but was refused entry along with his team-mate Otto Stuppacher for a lack of single-seater racing experience (although Stuppacher didn't have the same trouble in subsequent events).
Ricardo Londoño (1981): Not sure if he counts as he did take part in an unofficial practice session designed to help the drivers get used to the Jacarapaguá circuit. Anyway he was entered in the Brazilian GP by Ensign but was refused a Super Licence by the FIA before official practice started.
#FreeGonzo
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Simtek wrote:Thomas Monarch (1963): Privately entered a Lotus for Mexico but withdrew.

I actually have some more info about this man.
Monarch was about 18 or 19 at the time and had bought an old Lotus to do some local club races in the USA, Canada, Mexico and Caribbean. In similar fashion to Frank Dochnal, he was put on the entry list due to the fact that he was successfully competing around the circuit, but when he found out that he'd been entered, he withdrew from the Grand Prix.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
James1978

Post by James1978 »

I remember in the 1995 season preview edition of Autosport, Eric Helary was in to drive the Larrousse alongside Bouchut. Does he count?
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
girry

Post by girry »

Kuwashima is ineligible for his practice appearance, indeed.

F1 pre 1980 is a bit difficult to compare to the contract-based modern F1 as you just needed to own a F1 car and enter a race - I suppose it's best to draw the line so that, in the case of private entrants, you must have entered an official Grand Prix to qualify for the list? (Simtek's list doesn't seem to have any dubious cases anyway - thanks!)

Larrousse's 1995 is a bit dubious indeed. At least Collard, Comas, Hélary and Bernard were rumoured to drive for the team that season - Comas was on the official entry list I think - but I can find no proof of any other than of Bouchut's contract....
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Mexican F3000 reject Giovanni Aloi was slated to drive for the GLAS F1 team, before the project's founder Fernando Gonzalez Luna disappeared and it changed to Lambo-Modena.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Does José Maria Lopez count for USF1? :D I doubt it.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Shizuka wrote:Does José Maria Lopez count for USF1? :D I doubt it.

Lopez is already listed. :P
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Let's not forget Mauro Bianchi! He was penciled in for the 1968 French GP, but the engine didn't show up and thus he never raced. He did race in non-championship F1 races of course, but he never made an official World Championship appearance.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Bobby Doorknobs

Biscione wrote:Let's not forget Mauro Bianchi! He was penciled in for the 1968 French GP, but the engine didn't show up and thus he never raced. He did race in non-championship F1 races of course, but he never made an official World Championship appearance.

Was that the Alpine project that Renault put a stop to because the engine was hopeless compared to the DFV? Also, I've got some more examples:
Raymond Mays - 1950 ERA: One of the men behind ERA and later BRM had a car entered for the British Grand Prix but then withdrew prior to the event
Giovanni Bracco - 1950 Ferrari: Works car entered for the Italian GP.
Luigi de Filippis - 1950 Maserati: Maria Teresa's older brother had a privately entered car for the same race.
Luigi Platé - 1950 Talbot-Lago: Car entered by his cousin Enrico for Monza. Interestingly, if he'd shown up he could have become the oldest driver ever to start a Grand Prix, aged 56.
Franco Bordoni - 1950 Talbot-Lago: Another Enrico Platé entry for Monza.
Francis Rochat - 1951 Gordini: Private entry for the Swiss GP.
Erik Lundgren - 1951 EL: Could've been Sweden's first driver 5 years before Bonnier if he'd shown up for the German GP, and he even built the car himself, which would have resulted in him being both Sweden's first driver and constructor. Sadly this never happened.
Gianni Marzotto - 1951 Ferrari: Same story as Bracco only this happened a year later.
Alfred Dattner - 1952 Gordini: Entered a car for the Swiss GP but got Max de Terra to drive instead because he was ill.
#FreeGonzo
girry

Post by girry »

Nuppiz wrote:Mexican F3000 reject Giovanni Aloi was slated to drive for the GLAS F1 team, before the project's founder Fernando Gonzalez Luna disappeared and it changed to Lambo-Modena.

Yup, now I too found a source where it was said he was "set to drive" for GLAS.

Bianchi one was good, I never knew Alpine had even built an F1 car, yet alone with a Renault engine! Thanks!
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

If USF1 counts, what about Jacques Villeneuve and Kazuki Nakajima who were contracted to Stefan?
girry

Post by girry »

They'd count, but we're looking for drivers without F1 careers ;p
MrMG

Post by MrMG »

I think Kelvin Burt was under contract to both Jordan and Arrows at some point in his career, may have just been testing contracts though.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

MadGaz85 wrote:I think Kelvin Burt was under contract to both Jordan and Arrows at some point in his career, may have just been testing contracts though.

I don't think testing contracts should count, because otherwise we'd have a ton of drivers falling under that qualification. Unless, of course, they never tested.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Bobby Doorknobs

MadGaz85 wrote:I think Kelvin Burt was under contract to both Jordan and Arrows at some point in his career, may have just been testing contracts though.

He had a testing contact with Jordan in '94 and Arrows in '96. The Jordan contract had an option to race but it wasn't a proper race contract.
#FreeGonzo
Waris

Post by Waris »

Are you sure Rossiter had a contract to race for USF1? I seem to remember it was just Ken Anderson saying they wanted him for the drive.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
Bobby Doorknobs

Waris wrote:Are you sure Rossiter had a contract to race for USF1? I seem to remember it was just Ken Anderson saying they wanted him for the drive.

He did according to Adam Cooper: http://adamcooperf1.com/2010/03/01/us-f ... nt-add-up/
#FreeGonzo
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

Fulvio Maria Ballabio was expected to race for Spirit in 1984 alongside Fittipaldi (who had then refused to race for the team). He was denied the superlicence though and replaced by fellow Italian Mauro Baldi.

The funny thing was that his sponsorship money came from Disney. He also appeared in a Disney comic (under the name of Fulvio Maria Palladio) alongside Uncle Scrooge and Donald Duck, whom he showed how to drive a F1 car...
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
dr-baker

Re: Forum's 3rd Birthday

Post by dr-baker »

Does Sergey Sitrokin qualify for this list? There was a time last year where I thought it sounded like that he had a contract with Sauber for this year. Or was that all just rumours?
MCard LOLA
Bobby Doorknobs

dr-baker wrote:Does Sergey Sitrokin qualify for this list? There was a time last year where I thought it sounded like that he had a contract with Sauber for this year. Or was that all just rumours?

I think Sirotkin's situation this time last year was similar to Simona de Silvestro this year. I don't think there was ever an actual race contract.
#FreeGonzo
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Simtek wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Does Sergey Sitrokin qualify for this list? There was a time last year where I thought it sounded like that he had a contract with Sauber for this year. Or was that all just rumours?

I think Sirotkin's situation this time last year was similar to Simona de Silvestro this year. I don't think there was ever an actual race contract.

I know there was talk of it, but I was never sure exactly what the situation was. Thanks for clearing that up.
MCard LOLA
girry

Post by girry »

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/108789

Sirotkin does qualify, since Sauber announced he will be in the race seat - you always forget the most obvious ones, so thanks for reminding dr-baker!