Your Reject of the Year - nominations

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Captain Hammer

Your Reject of the Year - nominations

Post by Captain Hammer »

There's only a few races left in 2014, so it's time for the ROTY nominations. I've already decided mine; there's very little that could happen in the remaining races to change my mind:

3 - SAUBER
They've been gradually sliding backwards for a while now, and 2014 has seen them floundering about with a poor car and two uninspiring drivers.

2 - MERCEDES DRIVER MANAGEMENT
Foolishly bowed to public pressure to support Hamilton "more equally", which led to friction within their line-up.

1 - KIMI RAIKKONEN
His performances would be considered embarrassing by any other driver, but Raikkonen is a former World Champion. History will no doubt remember his 2014 as the worst performance by a Ferrari driver since Ivan Capelli.

DISHONOURABLE MENTION - FERRARI
The team should have fired Raikkonen after five races.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Bobby Doorknobs

Re: Your Reject of the Year - nominations

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

I'll just copy mine from the ROTHWP thread with some minor changes:

Sauber - In 2012 they were challenging for podiums and in one case the race win. Last year they had a crap car that only really performed in the hands of Hülkenberg. This year they have the most uninspiring line-up in the field, a car that's worse than last year's, their longest pointless streak in history and they are likely to be beaten by Marussia in the Constructors' Championship.

Lotus - Even bigger and more sudden fall from grace than Sauber. At the start of the year they were "MasterCard Lotus" as it looked unlikely they would even make the grid in Australia. They've scored points twice all season, the car has been called "undriveable" and it's turned Romain Grosjean into one of the most miserable drivers on the grid, and with good reason.

Kimi Räikkönen - Alonso - 133 points, 2 podiums, Räikkönen - 45 points, best result of 4th, the biggest intra-team gap of the year. It's hard to believe now that this is the man who beat Alonso to the title in '07.

Improving the show™ - Double points in the final race, standing safety car restarts, mid-season rule-changes (although it's been done before), titanium skid-plates, artificially making the cars louder, mandatory two-stop races and shortened races have all been suggested or written into the regulations in the past year in the name of "improving the show™" but have mainly been met with backlash from the drivers, pundits and of course the fans (not that the FIA know anything about the latter). All this despite there being some great racing this year and a great battle for the championship on top of that. As Adrian Newey said "it's just a little bit WWF".

Caterham - Have become more than just perennial backmarkers in the past few months and are now a true reject team. This year they've had three team principals, a "technical committee" that was doomed to fail, Colin Kolles, the oldest rookie since the great Giovanni Lavaggi, disappearing sponsors, an alleged tyre dispute and a rather unfortunate visit from the bailiffs. It looks almost certain they won't be on the grid next year, or is this the beginning of Forza Rossa Racing?
#FreeGonzo
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

My nominations - haven't decided yet on an order and more may turn up - are:

-Kimi Raikkonen: the late John Fortune once said: "Lacklustre's not the right word...catastrophically hopeless?"
-Ferrari: big rule change actually made them worse than they were before. Wow. Also has lost them the best driver of the last few years. When was the last time a driver left Ferrari because FERRARI were underperforming?
-Sauber: Gone is the great partnership of Perez/Kobayashi. How I miss it.
-Marcus Ericsson: His performances are actually worse than Chilton's. Constantly outqualified and outraced, even by Lotterer in his debut.
-Caterham: It's great to see HRT back again :')
-Maldonado: Don't mistake anonymity with improvement. As someone who quite liked Pastor in 2011-2012, I can safely say he's a good candidate for ROTY this year for the most disasteriffic run of races that I've seen in quite a while.
-Double Points: no comment
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Captain Hammer wrote:There's only a few races left in 2014, so it's time for the ROTY nominations. I've already decided mine; there's very little that could happen in the remaining races to change my mind

That's quite stubborn and defensive of you, as if you're spoiling for a fight...it's quite feasible that for example that Hamilton royally messes up the final races and loses the championship, which coupled with his "whining" and losing of mind games would see him nominated as ROTY by many parties. Yes, this is speculation, but its not over until the fat lady sings.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

I don't think that making a mistake and spoiling your own title bud is an automatic ROTY nomination. Mistakes do happen - look at Alonso and Hamilton in Brazil back in 2007. If you look at my choices, they have had consistently poor performances all year.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

My nominations:

Adrian Sutil: He was supposed to be the leader of Sauber and what he did? Getting beaten by Gutierrez and binned when he had a opportunity to do something.

Estaban Gutierrez: Well, isn't a good year. He binned while in the points in Monaco and this costed too much for team.

Kimi Raikkonen: Apathic. He showed some signs of speed in some races, but in the most moments, he was miles behind Alonso. I don't know if he just doesn't get the hand of Ferrari or he doesn't care anymore. 2015 probably be his last year in F1.

Caterham: A mess, nothing more than a mess in this year.

Sauber: Worst year of all history of Swiss team. Nothing more to say.

Lotus: Yes, we all know this poor performance was expected because the tons of problems in the pre-season. But still, the team deserve a mention.

Bernie Ecclestone: He keeps with his idiot ideas and idiot comments, like hoping to minor teams to get out of the F1.

Sauber (or Sutil) is almost garantee in my ROTY podium.

Some people might enter in my ROTY, depending of what happen.
Last edited by Dj_bereta on 05 Oct 2014, 18:46, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Rob Dylan wrote:When was the last time a driver left Ferrari because FERRARI were underperforming?

Prost in 1991? :P

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Shizuka wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote:When was the last time a driver left Ferrari because FERRARI were underperforming?

Prost was sacked for complaining. :P
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Good point. :P

I was thinking about Scheckter in 1980, but he retired... so that's a good question.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

Salamander wrote:
Shizuka wrote:

Prost was sacked for complaining. :P

And then you start to think whether Prost started to complain BECAUSE he wanted out and wanted Ferrari to foot the bill? We're talking about the Goddamn Professor after all :D

As far as my ROTY's... as much as it hurts me to do this...

Kimi Räikkönen: Dude, where's your speed? Everyone knows you can be the quickest man on the track when you want to. What happened?
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Well as ever the ROTY is going to be tough to choose from but I have some nominations in mind

Lewis Hamilton: From a driving view he's not done that much wrong with only Germany and Hungary really eligible for question but sadly his pathetic attitude off the track has rubbed a lot of people the wrong way this season and the media's attempts to paint him as the hero is bias if i ever saw it. That and his annoying one eyed fanboys and that's why Lewis is getting a mention from me. He will not be getting a podium place though.

Mercedes Managment: Fell into every trap the media set and completely mismanaged the rivalry between Hamilton and Rosberg. Yes they look like they are going to win both championships but they should have cakewalked it instead of giving Ricciardo a half-hearted chance

Mclaren: And to think it looked oh-so rosy after Australia with a double podium and championship lead. Button has had his good races like Canada and GB but overall has the look of a man who knows it might be his last season. The car's only worked from time to time such as GB but to underline the team's stagnancy Kevin Magnussen has only scored 21 points between Malaysia and Japan, What's notable about that? Why it's only 3 more than he scored in Australia alone. Disappointing

Williams Strategists: Yeah Williams have 5 podiums but if the team's strategy tactics had been as good as the cars and drivers then they wouldn't have had to wait until Austria for their first podium. Canada Austria and Hungary are good examples of their tactical deficiencies

Marcus Ericsson: Completely out of his depth most of the season crashing galore and being worse than Chilton on a few occasions. He certainly couldn't have helped Caterham's budget by destroying so many cars this season

Caterham: HRT would be ashamed of what Caterham have disintegrated into this season. Poor takeover bids, Poor treatment of Kobayashi, Comical driver selections, Tight money and the slowest car of all. Need I go on?

Toro Rosso Unreliability: Yeah they have 29 points but without all the unreliability it could have been so much more

Now the top 3

3rd Hamilton Fanboys: Unbearable and downright comical this season. Having to stoop so low by personally abusing anyone not supporting their hero. Trying to twist things without any reason other than to make others look wrong. Take Monaco for instance where they immediately accused Rosberg of cheating. The final straw for me was Belgium when a racing incident was treated with near Crucifixion of Rosberg with "I hate Nico Rosberg pages appearing on Facebook. The sooner these plastic fans are gone from F1 the better

2nd Kimi Raikkonen: Well at the start of the year it was predicted a fire vs ice battle and if that was the case then fire really has melted ice this season. While Alonso has dragged consistent top 5's out of a dog of a car including 2 richly deserved podium finishes Raikkonen has only finished in the top 6 twice and only at Spain Monaco Hungary and Belgium has he shown any sort of spark. Meanwhile he's spent the rest of the year content to finish in the minor points and on this season's evidence why do Ferrari want to keep him next year?

1st Sauber: Well what a farce of a season this has been. The most uninspired line up since Ralf and JPM in 2004 has predictably not delivered and just when either driver looks like doing something in a chaotic race they end up throwing it away Monaco being the best example. But even in races where it has been unpredictable the Saubers have been completely anonymous. Look at Australia where 13 cars finished and the Saubers were 11th and 12th. Q1 eliminations have been frequent and the fiasco over the heavy chassis at the start of the year did no favors either. A very poor season and one where Sauber need to bounce back from quickly
Pointrox

Post by Pointrox »

Sauber
The team is completely out of shape, with poor results, poor car and most likely hitting the nail on the coffins of their two drivers.
They also face a complete humiliation in finishing 10th, behind Marussia, with no points.

Marcus Ericsson
There are two widely known Ericssons in the world.
Mobile phones that are reliable, long-lasting and actually useful.
Marcus, on the other hand... is only useful. To stuff Caterham's vast pockets.
Poor qualifying and racing records, getting outpaced by his teammate. Simply - Caterham's very own Max Chilton, with less esteem.

Lotus
Is it really the team that scored 315 points in 2013? With 1 win, 14 podiums and two great drivers at their disposal?
None of it applies to Lotus this year. The car is slow and ugly, two great drivers were reduced to one, and to this day their best results were 8th place finishes in Spain and Monaco. That gives 8 points - nearly 40 times less than just a year ago! If it wasn't for Sauber, Lotus would be the team that bombed the most this season.
girry

Post by girry »

Early yet but would expect a close battle between Kimi, Marcus and Sauber - even if each of them still has a chance to escape the roty podium.
when you're dead people start listening
Ducktanian

Post by Ducktanian »

3. Kimi Raikkonen
Easily the most disappointing driver this year. He is being resoundingly beaten by Alonso in a manner quite unbefitting of a former World Champion.
He's only 3rd because I reckon Massa would have performed about the same. [Which is not a good comparison for Raikkonen]

2. Sauber
The fact that they have no points and are beating beaten by Marussia is an automatic qualification for ROTY.
Plus the fact that they have perhaps the worst line-up in Sauber's history.
Then again, did anyone expect Gutierrez to do well anyway :P

1. Lotus
Oh how the mighty have fallen.
From an impressive 315 points to a sobering EIGHT is quite an impressive feat.
1980 Ferrari would be proud :P [They scored 8 points that year]
Murray Walker: "A lot of people here are really debating whether Ricardo Rosset is Formula 1 material"
Martin Brundle: "Well, it's a fairly short debate, Murray".
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Pointrox wrote:Lotus
Is it really the team that scored 315 points in 2013? With 1 win, 14 podiums and two great drivers at their disposal?
None of it applies to Lotus this year. The car is slow and ugly, two great drivers were reduced to one, and to this day their best results were 8th place finishes in Spain and Monaco. That gives 8 points - nearly 40 times less than just a year ago! If it wasn't for Sauber, Lotus would be the team that bombed the most this season.

There's a potential argument that we're seeing the return on 2009-era Grosjean, so no great drivers. :o
Dan B

Post by Dan B »

3rd: Caterham: This really comes as no surprise since they looked to have the worst car from the get-go, but laughable driver selections, loss of nearly all sponsorship, and poor treatment of their only good driver gives them a good shot at the reject podium. Signing Ericsson was a mistake; he was clearly over his head and was only there for the money, to the point he made Sakon Yamamoto look like a competent midfield driver. Kobayashi should have been treated better, period, and in hindsight maybe he should've stayed at Ferrari. Whatever the case they have driver-wise, the rest of the year for them has probably been the worst, with a visit from the police, lack of money, and a car that looks as ugly as it drives. A complete mess of a year, period.

2: Kimi Raikkonen: Biggest waste of space at a top team since Massa post 2010. We know he's fast, and he has shown in the past that he can be, but fact of the matter is that more often than not he isn't, and while Alonso is dragging that crapbox of a Ferrari up through the field, Raikkonen, well, isn't. Yes he might've been hampered with car difficulties, but when Alonso is driving that same car in places it shouldn't be, then quite frankly he should follow suit whether he likes it or not, and honestly makes me wonder why he is even in the car in the first place.

1: Sauber: There are 4 races left, and they still haven't scored any points. With probably the most uninspiring driver lineup since, well, ever, they have been relegated to the back of the field fighting alongside Marussias, Caterhams, and the hopeless Lotuses. Money issues have kept them from developing the car, which wasn't good to begin with, to the two aforementioned drivers being at best mediocre, to the fact they may or may not be getting money from outside sources like Sirotkin's Russian sponsors or random people they meet in the paddocks. Yes, Caterham might be doing worse this year, and in terms of off track hijinks they are, but for a team like Sauber to be in such a predicament is much more reject worthy considering they have much more experience than Caterham. I don't wish the death of the team (well, them and Caterham), but they need to get something done, otherwise they'll end up with zero points.

Dishonorable Mentions:
Ferrari: For two reasons: 1; they promised Alonso a title winning car every year and have fallen short of that goal, prompting the Spaniard to leave, and 2: for keeping Raikkonen. Here's hoping Vettel can turn the team around; they need it.
Mercedes management: Mismanaged the rivalry between Hamilton and Rosberg completely.
Lotus: What is even going on over there? Grosjean's talent is being wasted, and Maldonado has been anonymous all year. With Marussia scoring points, Sauber falling into the back, and Caterham being hopelessly run, I have forgotten the team even existed.
McLaren: Okay, compared to everyone else they've actually done decently. They haven't produced as crap a car as Ferrari has, and they have been scoring points regularly. However they should be higher than they are right now rather than battling Force India and Williams. Mind you, this is no slight on Force India or Williams, but McLaren is a top flight team.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

I actually think, if you compare this year's performance to recent years, Lotus have been performing worse than any of the other main nominations (Caterham, Sauber, Kimi, Ericsson etc).
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
girry

Post by girry »

Well, we all knew Lotus have no money and all the important personnel had left them, and they were stuck with the useless Renault engine. Ok, it might be their own fault to have their team detoriate like that, but still, Grosjean scraping the points required - on the only stage of the season that they had the chance - for a constructors P8 and still being afloat easily saves them from ROTY in my opinion. After winter testing and Australia it looked much worse for them.
when you're dead people start listening
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

I'd like to offer up another possible reject.
The so-called controversy about engine noise of the current V6 power units compared to the outgoing V8s and the nonsense of trying to change the sound of the engine by having Mercedes test that idiotic megaphone exhaust.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
TheBigJ

Post by TheBigJ »

James1978 wrote:I actually think, if you compare this year's performance to recent years, Lotus have been performing worse than any of the other main nominations (Caterham, Sauber, Kimi, Ericsson etc).

Have they really been rejectful though? A large part of their demise comes from lack of funding and losing people like Boullier to McLaren. Otherwise they have just been anonymously bad rather than rejectful - particularly since the departure of Gerard Lopez and his rejectfullness. We know both Grosjean and the Reverend are capable of race-winning performances unlike the Sauber pair who are just totally out of their depth at this level. Sauber finishing behind Marussia and Caterham being in the state they are in now (having given drives to random pay-drivers, ended up with a winding up order and bayliffs, oh and Collin Kolles) is way more embarrassing that the current situation at Lotus.
More_Blue_Flags

Post by More_Blue_Flags »

Quite a few worthy nominations here and I think it's going to be a closely fought battle for my ROTY vote right until the end of the season. A frontrunner for me has to be the whole Lewisteria phenomenon. Not Lewis himself, mind you, although I have found him to be immature and boorish on occasion - he has balanced that with some sublime driving and (sometimes) grace under pressure, and to be completely fair if some of my off-the-cuff intemperate remarks about workplace colleagues were immediately broadcast by global media I might not look too composed and collected, either.

Excessive sporting nationalism always strikes me as being a bit silly, especially when you are applying it to F1 drivers who drive for a multinational teams or corporations and manage to spend a fair bit of their time in tax havens elsewhere, but a depressingly large element of the British motorsport community and media have enthusiastically taken it on board this year. Idiotic comments on forums, you tube and social media may always be with us, I suppose, but I am getting heartily sick of juvenile efforts by some to invoke a mythical 'Prost-Senna' rivalry, or (even better) 'us versus the Germans again', booing at podium ceremonies, and of Sky's broadcast team acting at times like Lewis' cheer squad.
CoopsII wrote:Wouldnt it be lovely if just for once someone said "I really want to emulate Boutsen and get a decent, if not spectacular, result with some solid points".
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Faustus wrote:I'd like to offer up another possible reject.
The so-called controversy about engine noise of the current V6 power units compared to the outgoing V8s and the nonsense of trying to change the sound of the engine by having Mercedes test that idiotic megaphone exhaust.

I'd conveniently forgotten about all that. Geez, that exhaust trumpet was awful.

There seem to be quite a few reasonable nominations for off-the-track events, and I think if there is a massive, unnecessary broo-ha-ha at Abu Dhabi between Hamilton, Rosberg, the media and the crowd/public, then their trumped rivalry might take the biscuit. I'm not saying that Hamilton & Rosberg should never have had a rivalry this season, but it could have been a far more natural rivalry than all the pantomime booing and the rubbish that the media has come out with, especially all the Senna-Prost comparisons (although Lewis didn't exactly help himself on that front).
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

I think it depends a lot on what one considers the meaning of ROTY. Is it just plain underperforming, or is it about something a bit more farcical?

If you talk about simply underperforming, Raikkonen and Lotus are ducking it out for the title. But in terms of being a complete joke, Sauber has to take the cake. Poor choices, bad driving (not merely a bit slow like Kimi, but actually mistake-filled races time and time again), still behind Marussia after all this time in the WCC...they've made themselves the new F1 yardstick of hopelessness.

It's tempting also to nominate the fans; dear god, we sucked this year! All the complaining about every little thing, booing everybody, acting like we're in some sort of soap opera...
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Leyton House

Post by Leyton House »

As Alonso said when Raikkonen was announced last year, "Kimi's no quicker than Massa, you saw that when they were team-mates". I can't have been the only one expecting Kimi to struggle against Fernando, for this reason I can't include him as a contender for ROTY.
I also can't include Lotus, their financial struggles apparent at the time of Kimi's departure last season. They have been fighting with one hand tied behind their back, and unlucky to have F1's worst engine.
Instead my nominations are, in no particular order;

Monisha Kaltenbourn: Has taken Sauber from respected midfield team to a likely equal last placed finish this season. It seems weary Peter Sauber may have to step in again to save his team.

The FIA: Seems likely to ruin what has been a fascinating title fight with the stupid double points rule. Also for not increasing the minimum weight of this year's cars. Nico Hulkenburg (IMO one of F1's best talents) will most likely never get a chance with a top team as he has been matched by the fun-sized Perez all year, likely to be in no small part because he is heavier than Sergio.

This thing:
Did anyone think this was the solution to the uninspiring exhaust notes of the turbos?
mrfakeboullier

Post by mrfakeboullier »

Right, my nominations:
Third: British commentators- Crofty is as useless as ever and some of Coulthards column titles make me want to report him to ofcom.
Second: Caterham- First actual start and park in ages if not ever.
First: Hamilton Fanboys- As a Rosberg fan I've been the victim of some horrible abuse and the fact that Rosberg has been crucified even in the British press and subjected to booing by utter morons makes this the easiest choice I've made in ages.
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

Leyton House wrote:This thing:
Did anyone think this was the solution to the uninspiring exhaust notes of the turbos?

The first thing I thought of when I saw that, was those yobbos that drive around at 2 AM in their 1 litre 3 pot Ford Fiestas with a broken muffler and silly spoiler.

My nomination would have to be Bernie Ecclestone. Even Kimi Raikönnen or Lotus' falls from grace aren't as rejectful as his attempts to make F1 more "interesting" or his message to Didi Mateschitz at the Austrian GP.
Sublime_FA11C

Post by Sublime_FA11C »

mrfakeboullier wrote:Crofty is as useless as ever and some of Coulthards column titles make me want to report him to ofcom.
Come on now. I don't think any of us could do as well as Crofty with 6-7 pints of lager in us before every race.

Also, be carefull what you wish for. There are worse commentators out there, and while i'm annoyed at how often he confuses drivers despite pretty clear yellow markings on the airbox cameras, and i'm secretly keeping track of how many times he introduced DNS zones into F1 (Do Not Spin zones presumably), and he somehow managed to confuse Verge with Hamilton, and Bottas apparently briefly drove for Mercedes this year...

Ok. I agree. Crofty has flaws. Mostly his commentary is flaws with an occasional gaffe thrown in, but i'd still rather keep him than gamble on a replacement. Can anyone imagine a TV network making an intelligent hiring decision? Or Crofty's replacement *not* being a complete and undigestible tool? He doesn't ruin races or make me hate his guts so he's pretty good.
Leyton House wrote:Sauber - found out painting your car like an HRT will make it go like one.
mario

Post by mario »

Leyton House wrote:The FIA: Seems likely to ruin what has been a fascinating title fight with the stupid double points rule. Also for not increasing the minimum weight of this year's cars. Nico Hulkenburg (IMO one of F1's best talents) will most likely never get a chance with a top team as he has been matched by the fun-sized Perez all year, likely to be in no small part because he is heavier than Sergio.

To be fair to the FIA, they did actually hold a vote before the season began to bring forwards the increase in the minimum weight limit which is due for 2015, when the minimum weight goes up by a further 10kg - however, Mercedes vetoed the suggestion and some of the other Mercedes powered teams abstained from voting, therefore ensuring that the rule change didn't have enough support for the regulation to be brought in. Considering that both the Renault and Ferrari powertrains are reportedly nearly 20kg overweight, whereas Mercedes is on the weight limit, it is perhaps not surprising that Mercedes was quite happy for the minimum weight to remain where it was.

As for Hulkenberg, I don't think that his weight is the only reason why he is being overlooked by the larger teams. McLaren cited Hulkenberg's weight as one reason, but when Hulkenberg approached McLaren for a seat last season, Sam Michael's comments about Hulkenberg made it clear that McLaren thought that Hulkenberg was overrated - given that they also have the possibility of bringing in Alonso, why would you go for Hulkenberg when you can get an even better driver to lead the team (no disrespect to Hulkenberg, but overall I do think that Alonso is a better driver).

Hulkenberg's main problem is that, in many ways, there is nowhere for him to go given that so many top seats are locked out on long term contracts.

If you run down the field, Red Bull's driver policies means that if you're not on their Young Driver program, you've got no chance of breaking into the team, so they are effectively locked out for now.

At Mercedes, both Rosberg and Hamilton are locked into contracts for 2015, with the former having already signed an extension and the latter expected to extend his contract once it expires next year. Now, unless another team was to suddenly shoot to the front - which is unlikely - I can't see either of those drivers willingly leaving the team unless relations sour spectacularly, and whilst there have been tense moments, it does look as if the team have managed to clamp down on their driver management issues in recent races.

Over at Ferrari, whilst they have been interested in Hulkenberg in the past, their ultra conservative driver policy meant that they went for Kimi as soon as he became available last year. Whilst you suspect they are regretting that decision now, Ferrari are probably too stubborn to admit to their mistakes, nor want to pay off Kimi given his high cost, whilst Vettel reportedly already had a pre-contract signed with Ferrari for several years and therefore was already a shoe in.
They are probably the only top team that he could possibly hope to break in to, perhaps as a replacement for Kimi, but Vettel might not want a competitive driver like Hulkenberg alongside him and therefore might try to veto any such move - his reputation has already been battered enough by Ricciardo, and Ferrari have rarely put two strong drivers head to head with each other in recent years.

McLaren, as I've mentioned before, have been very contemptuous of Hulkenberg and never regarded him that highly - moreover, the fact that Alonso is on the market and is on Honda's radar most probably cuts out one seat at McLaren. The other seat, meanwhile, is being fought over by a lot of drivers - McLaren has enough drivers in house between Button, Magnussen and Vandoorne that they do not need the complication of Hulkenberg trying to get a seat there as well. In that instance, you suspect that McLaren is almost acting in a manner that is a bit like Red Bull and looking within rather than without, which inevitably means that Hulkenberg is being frozen out.

The only other possible team is perhaps Williams, but I suppose that depends on what terms he was on with the team when he left. Asides from that, not only is there the issue of whether Williams can keep up their current form - because their accounts suggest that, even with the additional sponsorship this season, their losses are still high - or if such a move would, in the long term, be more of a side step.
Furthermore, the team already has one rising star in the shape of Bottas whilst, and I accept that it isn't the most popular suggestion, I can't help but wonder if Massa's position is partly underwritten by Petrobras's backing.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
LukeB

Post by LukeB »

None of the inevitable idiocy that every F1 season brings can match double points. Bickering drivers, media stirups, failing teams, dismal drivers, obnoxious fanboys, obnoxious complaining about obnoxious fanboys, we get these every year and none of them strike at the very core of the whole damn sport.
Making up the numbers
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

LukeB wrote:None of the inevitable idiocy that every F1 season brings can match double points. Bickering drivers, media stirups, failing teams, dismal drivers, obnoxious fanboys, obnoxious complaining about obnoxious fanboys, we get these every year and none of them strike at the very core of the whole damn sport.

I agree that the double points is unbelievably idiotic but I also think we can't make a comprehensive assessment of it until the last race. Will it change the outcome of the championship, will it make a difference in the teams standings, etc.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

The German legal system made a pretty good shout for ROTY this year. Having Bernie in for a bribery case and then the prosecution settling the case out of court for €100m...
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I think I may nominate this very forum as it looks possible it now wont last the season.

What a suitably Rejectful way for this forum to go :lol: . Its been fun.
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:I think I may nominate this very forum as it looks possible it now wont last the season.

It's still not over. I know we are in the dark but giving it last rites now looks a bit premature.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

DanielPT wrote:
CoopsII wrote:I think I may nominate this very forum as it looks possible it now wont last the season.

It's still not over. I know we are in the dark but giving it last rites now looks a bit premature.

No, I'm, in full scale fear-mongering now..
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:
DanielPT wrote:It's still not over. I know we are in the dark but giving it last rites now looks a bit premature.

Very well, I am the level headed guy which usually irritates of how calm he is...

Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

DanielPT wrote:
CoopsII wrote:
DanielPT wrote:It's still not over. I know we are in the dark but giving it last rites now looks a bit premature.

Very well, I am the level headed guy which usually irritates of how calm he is...

Just For One Day...
Bobby Doorknobs

let's look on the bright side, this forum has lasted longer than Coloni and many other reject and non-reject teams. :mrgreen:
#FreeGonzo
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Silly question: what's happening to the forum?
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Rob Dylan wrote:Silly question: what's happening to the forum?

Years upon years of inane posting is finally taking its toll on the forum servers.
Bobby Doorknobs

DanielPT wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote:Silly question: what's happening to the forum?

Years upon years of inane posting is finally taking its toll on the forum servers.

On that note, Rob, I would like to congratulate you on your 69th post!
#FreeGonzo