1/43 F1 Reject-themed model collection

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: 1/43 F1 Reject-themed model collection

Post by Faustus »

AndreaModa wrote::oops:

Sorry folks, I ended up doing it as Modena's! At which point I then read all of the replies on here! Ah well it's nearly done now so when it is I'll post a few pics up so you can laugh at my piss poor modelling skills! :lol:

Pics for the people! The people demand pics!
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

My latest acquisition:

Not exactly a reject, although it was a pretty crap car. Unfortunately no kits of any of the Prosts were made, so I had to get the diecast from Minichamps.
Last edited by Faustus on 17 Jul 2011, 16:13, edited 1 time in total.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

I've got to find out from all you collectors - are Onyx still making models? I remember being interested in picking one or two up about 20 years ago when they advertised in the BBC F1 season previews (I was most tempted by the Jordan 191 for obvious reasons). Now it seems there's only Minichamps. Was there a renaming of the company, or were they rivals and Onyx fell by the wayside, or...?

And, something I never understood: why 1/43? It seems to be a very awkward number to divide all the dimensions by.

For the record, I'm hoping there'll be a 1/43 scale Virgin VR-01 someday.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

dinizintheoven wrote:I've got to find out from all you collectors - are Onyx still making models? I remember being interested in picking one or two up about 20 years ago when they advertised in the BBC F1 season previews (I was most tempted by the Jordan 191 for obvious reasons). Now it seems there's only Minichamps. Was there a renaming of the company, or were they rivals and Onyx fell by the wayside, or...?

Onyx (or rather the Vitesse Group) was around until very recently but unfortunately the company went bankrupt in April 2011. They produced models under the Onyx brand and others, like Ixo, Quartzo and Vitesse.
Onyx lost the licensing rights to produce Formula 1 models in about 1998-99, which were bought by Minichamps. They had the monopoly for over 10 years and now Spark has acquired the rights to some of the teams, like Virgin, Lotus and HRT.

dinizintheoven wrote:And, something I never understood: why 1/43? It seems to be a very awkward number to divide all the dimensions by.

You're right, it is bizarre and the best explanation that I ever heard is that 1/43 is related to the size of certain once-popular biscuit and / or tobacco tins, into which the models would fit perfectly.

dinizintheoven wrote:For the record, I'm hoping there'll be a 1/43 scale Virgin VR-01 someday.

Already released, made by Spark.
Last edited by Faustus on 10 Aug 2011, 15:24, edited 3 times in total.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Faustus wrote:
dinizintheoven wrote:For the record, I'm hoping there'll be a 1/43 scale Virgin VR-01 someday.

I've seen an HRT model, 1/43-scale, >£50 (i.e.£50+) in a nearby model shop...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

dr-baker wrote:
Faustus wrote:

I've seen an HRT model, 1/43-scale, >£50 (i.e.£50+) in a nearby model shop...

Yup, seen it and bought it, made by Spark, Karun Chandhok in Monaco.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Faustus wrote:Already released, made by Spark.

Håpla! And it's the one without the shark fin as well!

Oh, wait... 52 of the Queen's pounds. I think it'll have to wait until I'm a bit more financially solvent...
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

dinizintheoven wrote:
Faustus wrote:Already released, made by Spark.

Håpla! And it's the one without the shark fin as well!

Oh, wait... 52 of the Queen's pounds. I think it'll have to wait until I'm a bit more financially solvent...

52 pounds? Hell no! Forget Model Zone. I bought mine from eBay for £43 and there are several there from well-established sellers for a lot less than £52, such as this one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... SS:GB:1123

That's £45.37 with shipping.

Even Grand Prix Models, which is never the cheapest, has a better price for it, £50:

http://www.grandprixmodels.com/searchre ... t=ADVANCED SEARCH&back=2
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Good find. I'll still have to wait a while, though, I can't go splashing out 45 quid on models just now. But this is definitely noted for the future.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

My latest acquisitions, one a reject and the other debatable:

Last edited by Faustus on 10 Aug 2011, 15:28, edited 2 times in total.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Nice Faustus! Those gaps in the Lotus look like they'll take some filling though!

Sorry I haven't put any pictures up of the Tyrrell 020 yet, they should come soon though as I finally have some Tamiya TS13 clear, plus I'm over halfway through a Benetton B192 as well now so some work in progress shots might also appear!
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
f1-gast

Post by f1-gast »

Just received those :D so happy !
==ROBIN FRIJNS FOR SAUBER IN 2014==
Founder of unracedf1.com and a formula 1 fan since 1994 :) !
http://www.facebook.com/UnracedF1
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Very cool f1-gast! Awesome! Of all of those, I only have Verstappen's Honda. Actually, I have 2 of them, 1 unboxed that I bought really cheap to convert to another one of the drivers who tested the Honda.

I'm thinking of starting an Anthony Davidson collection. I really like the special BAR liveries on the 3rd car. I've got the Super Aguris and the Minardi, so I think it's doable.
f1-gast

Post by f1-gast »

Davidson is a hard one to collect but not impossible!
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

The BARs are the harder thing. There are after-market decals for the normal and special 3rd cars, but I'll still need to buy the Minichamps models and convert them. This will be expensive, so it'll take a while to complete the collection.

I've got a possibly very interesting and simple project coming up. A mate can get me an unboxed Toyota TF109 that I can modify into the Pirelli test car. The decoration is simple enough, either all-white or all-black, depending on the test car and a few Pirelli decals. I need to have a close look at the TF109 model and photos of the test car to see how many differences there are between the two.
f1-gast

Post by f1-gast »

i think i can give you some pics of the TF109 as Toyota, as the Pirelli and as the Stefan
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

f1-gast wrote:i think i can give you some pics of the TF109 as Toyota, as the Pirelli and as the Stefan

Cool! Yes please! Especially the Stefan! I can only remember a photo of the supposed Stefan but in complete livery with Zoran Stefanovich sitting on the rear tyre. Are there any of the car painted red or sketches of the livery?
I've ordered some Pirelli decals to do the Pirelli car and there are about 40 different sizes in the sheet, so it's just a question of finding the nearest size by comparing with the photographs and scaling it to size.
I could do the Stefan as well.
I've got one model of the TF109 on the way and I'm trying to find at least 1 more. I'll do the black Pirelli car first and if it comes out alright, I'll do the white Pirelli car and the Stefan.
Last edited by Faustus on 07 Jul 2011, 16:01, edited 1 time in total.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Alright! Pictures for the people!

Braun Tyrrell Honda 020 Right by The Map Guy, on Flickr

There's a couple more on my Flickr site, which if you happen to share an interest in old road signs or maps then it might be of even more interest to you!

My Tamiya 1:20 F1 Flickr Set!
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Very nice! Very clean finish and overall really good!

Can I make a suggestion? I always found that tyres look better when they're scuffed, so I always do it on all of my models. I stick the tyre on the end of a dremel and roll over coarse grit wet-and-dry, only a couple of complete rolls and they come out with that this-tyre-has-been-driven-on-a-little-bit-and-is-not-quite-shiny-out-of-the-mould-look. Just a personal preference.
Isn't the engine cover on the Tyrrell removable? Or did you glue it in place?
I've got a 1:24 scale Tamiya kit of the Lotus 102B that I really should dig up and build sometime. I think I've got a 1:20 Modeler's or Hasegawa Tyrrell 019 as well.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Just received my 3rd Tameo kit of the Brabham BT55, one of my all-time favourite F1 cars. I think I'll stop there, 3 is enough to do all the 3 drivers who drove the car. On to another obsession!
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

The project begins!

Here is my Minichamps Toyota TF109:

Got a great deal on eBay, 13 Euros including postage to the UK, because it came without a case.
I'll do a thorough review of the model against photos of the Pirelli car so see just how different (or not) they are.

I'm going down the road of printing my own decals, using the colour printer at work. I've got a couple of sheets of clear decal paper, I'll take some measurements of the model to work out the size of decal that I need and I'll print some tests tomorrow.
If this works out, I'll print out decals for anyone who wants some for their models.
Last edited by Faustus on 17 Jul 2011, 16:10, edited 1 time in total.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Faustus wrote:Here is my Minichamps Toyota TF109:
http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb4 ... roject.jpg

Page Not Found - or is Photobucket playing up?
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

dinizintheoven wrote:
Faustus wrote:Here is my Minichamps Toyota TF109:
http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb4 ... roject.jpg

Page Not Found - or is Photobucket playing up?

I think that was me not copying the url properly. I've updated the post with the image embedded this time.
Andrea Moda

Post by Andrea Moda »

Great idea Faustus. I wonder if Minichamps have already considered doing it themselves with the TF109 casting.

One question though - are you sure that is the model you would like to use? That is a 2009 showcar rather than the TF109 race car and all Minichamps showcars for 2009 were based on a 'generic' design as the 2008 cars were visually too different from the 2009-spec cars to use as showcars.

Personally, I thought this was disappointing as they had absolutely no resemblance to the real cars.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Andrea Moda wrote:Great idea Faustus. I wonder if Minichamps have already considered doing it themselves with the TF109 casting.

One question though - are you sure that is the model you would like to use? That is a 2009 showcar rather than the TF109 race car and all Minichamps showcars for 2009 were based on a 'generic' design as the 2008 cars were visually too different from the 2009-spec cars to use as showcars.

Personally, I thought this was disappointing as they had absolutely no resemblance to the real cars.

Arse! Arse! Arse! Arse!
You are absolutely right. It never occurred to me that the showcars would be so different from the race cars. I have other showcar models and they're almost the same as the racecars, apart from the livery. Well spotted and thank you!
The front wing endplates, the front wing mounts, the headrest and the exhausts are different and the sidepods have an extension. Bollocks. Actually, the nosecone is higher, so pretty much the front of the car is different. shite.
Oh well, the plan is still good, it's just a case of getting another model.
I will probably end up using the Glock showcar as a test, because it I doubt I'll be able to sell it back on eBay. It was pretty cheap anyway and I can practice my masking skills on it.
The decals experiments are still ongoing.
Last edited by Faustus on 26 Jul 2011, 12:43, edited 3 times in total.
Andrea Moda

Post by Andrea Moda »

Haha, sorry to break the news mate... maybe you can offload the showcar back to eBay ;)

In what Pirelli guise would you convert the TF109 to? White or matt black? Heidfeld, de la Rosa, Grosjean or di Grassi?!
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Andrea Moda wrote:Haha, sorry to break the news mate... maybe you can offload the showcar back to eBay ;)

In what Pirelli guise would you convert the TF109 to? White or matt black? Heidfeld, de la Rosa, Grosjean or di Grassi?!

Black first, see how it turns out and if everything is cool, do the white one as well. Possibly the Stefan after that as well. The driver wouldn't be too much of a problem, as I intend to take the driver figure out and scrathbuild a cockpit.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

In the meantime, another potential project has come to my attention and now that I think about it, the showcar/race car thing won't be an issue with it. I'm thinking of doing the Minardi F1X2 in the livery that was used as demonstration car in Abu Dhabi. Martin Brundle and David Coulthard drove them, among others. There are also some slightly different liveries on the cars that Minardi used in their demos.
There are 3 Minichamps models of the car, different only in the livery:

- Fiorano 2002 Test (all red)
- Jos Verstappen 'Thunder at the Rock' Rockingham 2003
- P. Stoddard 2006

(I'll take some photos of my models and attach them)
Howard A Treesong

Post by Howard A Treesong »

I'll have to have a look through my 1:43 collection. Does anyone know if someone made a 1:43 Andrea Moda?

I probably have a few of the reject cars, there was a shop near here a few years ago selling lots of the Onyx 1:43 models cheap and we bought a fair few, but they were all obscure things. Half of them are people I've never heard of which is a good start.

Someone was commenting about why cars are the 1/43 scale - it's O-gauge. HO is 1/87th which is the standard model railway scale around the world.

Though to be more complicated, in Britain we tend to use OO which is 1/76th, the scale older Airfix kits tend to be. Nearly all modern kits nearest that scale are 1/72 now though, 1/76 is redundant.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Howard A Treesong wrote:Someone was commenting about why cars are the 1/43 scale - it's O-gauge. HO is 1/87th which is the standard model railway scale around the world.

Though to be more complicated, in Britain we tend to use OO which is 1/76th, the scale older Airfix kits tend to be. Nearly all modern kits nearest that scale are 1/72 now though, 1/76 is redundant.

You're right, 1/43 is sort of O-gauge, although O-gauge scale is slightly smaller than 1/43 at 1/44.3 or something like that, but the 1/43 scale became standard when Dinky Toys and their 1/42 scale started dying out in the early 70s. The 1/36 scale of Corgi Toys never caught on too much, so the first mass produced (well, relatively, as mass manufacture as you can of these things) 1/43 scale kits of John Day Models and Solido were 1/43 and the scale kind of stuck.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Howard A Treesong wrote:I'll have to have a look through my 1:43 collection. Does anyone know if someone made a 1:43 Andrea Moda?

Unfortunately there haven't been any kits or any models of the Andrea Moda up to now. I have quite a few models of reject Formula 1 cars and I would dearly love to have an Andrea Moda, but due to the specificity of the subject matter, it is unlikely to happen, unless Tameo decide to make one. Tameo and Meri were traditionally very supportive of Italian Formula 1 teams, especially Tameo and unlike Meri, they're still around and producing kits, so they might make one. There is a Facebook group for Tameo Kits started by the owner, Luca Tameo, and he does post there regularly, so I'll post there and see if he says anything one way or the other.
stupot94

Post by stupot94 »

I think this is my only reject F1 car. Driver mainly

http://yfrog.com/kfa3a2j
Say your prayers, here comes the Pastor
Howard A Treesong

Post by Howard A Treesong »

Hey, sounds about right. Mentioning the 1/36th scale, I recall Matchbox making a few plastic F1 kits in 1/32 but I only had the Tyrrell. Might have a dig around later to see what models I do have.

edited to add - I can't believe how expensive these models have become. The newest ones were £52 each in Modelzone, I know they stick a bit on but still!! I've not bought any new models in years, the last time I had a new Minichamps car was when Hakkinen won and we got his Mclaren... it cost £22 if I recall correctly, and that seemed a lot for a little car then.
Last edited by Howard A Treesong on 10 Aug 2011, 14:44, edited 1 time in total.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Howard A Treesong wrote:Hey, sounds about right. Mentioning the 1/36th scale, I recall Matchbox making a few plastic F1 kits in 1/32 but I only had the Tyrrell. Might have a dig around later to see what models I do have.

Heller did some plastic kits of Formula 1 and sportscars in 1/32 scale as well, in the mid-to-late 70s. I've got a 1977 (the year I was born) Heller catalogue that my father got and it has some 1/32 kits in it. Revell did it as well and Monogram re-released some Revell 1/32 sportscar kits, because I have a Monogram Chaparral 2D that says 'Revell' on the sprues.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

stupot94 wrote:I think this is my only reject F1 car. Driver mainly

Boullion?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
stupot94

Post by stupot94 »

dr-baker wrote:

Boullion?

No
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

stupot94 wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

Boullion?

No

Norberto Fontana.
stupot94

Post by stupot94 »

Faustus wrote:

Norberto Fontana.

Yes! You win my respect
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

stupot94 wrote:
Faustus wrote:

Norberto Fontana.

Yes! You win my respect

I don't get enough respect at work or at home, so I'll top up my respect quota with your new-found respect for me! Yay!
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Faustus wrote:
I don't get enough respect at work or at home, so I'll top up my respect quota with your new-found respect for me! Yay!

You worked with Arrows and Super Aguri, so you do get my respect.