The most anonymous F1 stints

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: The most anonymous F1 stints

Post by Butterfox »

1993DonningtonNo1Mk2 wrote:Anyone who drove an Osella apart from Jarier, Ghinzani and those who already have/had a profile. I'm talking about drivers like Beppe Gabbiani who also drove for Surtees briefly in 1978.

Well Paletti did get remembered, but unfortunately for all the wrong reasons.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

I actually never forget Franco Forini, mainly because he is so forgettable. He's the anti-thesis of forgettable F1 drivers.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
1993DonningtonNo1Mk2

Post by 1993DonningtonNo1Mk2 »

Geoff Lees since all his starts were with different teams.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

People forget post-2011 Kovalainen probably because his 2011 season was really decent. Kept qualifying and racing well in one of the worst cars, and had there been even the faintest level of unreliability over that season, he would surely have scored points.

In fact, I would venture to argue that Kovalainen's 2011 season was the strongest season of any of the "new team" drivers 2010-2016.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Nobody anonymous, but on a sort of similar theme, I keep forgetting Alonso and Kimi were teammates for a year at Ferrari in 2014. I often think they went straight from Alonso/Massa to Vettel/Kimi.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Hulkenberg's first stint at Force India in 2012. Genuinely forgot that happened until I remembered him smashing Hamilton off in Brazil.

Perez at McLaren in 2013.

Adrian Sutil at Sauber in 2014!

Almost every season Marcus Ericsson has participated in...
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Rob Dylan wrote:Hulkenberg's first stint at Force India in 2012. Genuinely forgot that happened until I remembered him smashing Hamilton off in Brazil.

I forget the Hulk is an ex-Williams driver. Only thing I really remember of his stint there is his pole in Brazil.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I remember him crashing out on the first lap at Monaco in 2010. Because that was the first Monaco Grand Prix I watched properly, and so I was really interested in learning who all the different drivers were.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

WaffleCat wrote:I actually never forget Franco Forini, mainly because he is so forgettable. He's the anti-thesis of forgettable F1 drivers.

And how could you forget that 'stache?
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
1993DonningtonNo1Mk2

The late Manfred Winkelhock at Arrows and Brabham
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I want to predict that Kyvat's one race return to Toro Rosso after being laid off for a few races will eventually be considered an anonymous stint.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

To be honest, I'm starting to class the whole 2015 season as an anonymous stint.
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

dr-baker wrote:I want to predict that Kyvat's one race return to Toro Rosso after being laid off for a few races will eventually be considered an anonymous stint.

Possibly not now a good prediction as we may now remember it as his last in the Red Bull set-up , but in which he scored a point despite having a power unit issue , not having done FP1 and his team mate got the new upgraded Renault engine...

In future we may also remember it as his last in Red Bull before they called him up 5 years later after they'd sent one driver to Japan to study the weather and couldnt find anyone else with a superlicence .... who knows
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

yannicksamlad wrote:Possibly not now a good prediction as we may now remember it as his last in the Red Bull set-up , but in which he scored a point despite having a power unit issue , not having done FP1 and his team mate got the new upgraded Renault engine...

In future we may also remember it as his last in Red Bull before they called him up 5 years later after they'd sent one driver to Japan to study the weather and couldnt find anyone else with a superlicence .... who knows

After five years at Toro Rosso, Gasly decides he needs more freedom to race outside Formula 1, and so tries to win the Super Formula championship again in 2022, as Daniil Kvyat makes a grand return again, for one race, gets replaced, and Verstappen wins.
1993DonningtonNo1Mk2

Rob Dylan wrote:To be honest, I'm starting to class the whole 2015 season as an anonymous stint.

Agreed
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Rob Dylan wrote: After five years at Toro Rosso, Gasly decides he needs more freedom to race outside Formula 1, and so tries to win the Super Formula championship again in 2022, as Daniil Kvyat makes a grand return again, for one race, gets replaced, and Verstappen wins.

Indeed - and perhaps that's when Callum Ilott rejoins the Red Bull family
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
James1978

Post by James1978 »

1993DonningtonNo1Mk2 wrote:The late Manfred Winkelhock at Arrows and Brabham

His one-off Brabham appearance was the end of 1984, and when on earth did he drive for Arrows? I only know he drove for ATS in 1982 - 84, and RAM in 1985 but am drawing a blank with Arrows.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

James1978 wrote:His one-off Brabham appearance was the end of 1984, and when on earth did he drive for Arrows? I only know he drove for ATS in 1982 - 84, and RAM in 1985 but am drawing a blank with Arrows.

He attempted and failed to qualify at Monza in 1980 so very easy to forget, to be honest!
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

I also forget easily Teo Fabi drove for Brabham once. I only remember his Toleman/Benetton days.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

This wrote:I also forget easily Teo Fabi drove for Brabham once. I only remember his Toleman/Benetton days.

His 2nd most successful season, even though he missed a quarter of it! Mind you, I don't remember him driving very spectacularly, his one podium that year was at the home of the lucky, Detroit.
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Massa, but I'm not sure how far back to go :(
1993DonningtonNo1Mk2

This wrote:

I also forget easily Teo Fabi drove for Brabham once. I only remember his Toleman/Benetton days.

Rarer still, his brother Corrado drove for Brabham too.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

1993DonningtonNo1Mk2 wrote:
This wrote:

Rarer still, his brother Corrado drove for Brabham too.

While Teo and Corrado both drove for Brabham in 1984 and Corrado's career was entirely within Teo's career span, the two never competed in the same Grand Prix weekend.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Gertrand Bachot

Post by Gertrand Bachot »

I'd say Wendlinger's 4 races at Sauber in 1995; of course, he came back after his life-threatening crash the previous year, but he was suicidally outpaced by Frentzen; Karl had 1 13th place as his only finish, whereas Heinz-Harald had 3 points in that period and he was dropped for Boullion at, ironically, Monaco.
1993DonningtonNo1Mk2

I know, tommykl, I know.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

1993DonningtonNo1Mk2 wrote:I know, tommykl, I know.

I didn't, on the other hand, and this is exactly the sort of thing I would normally know. Bathplugging Teo and his CART career...
#FreeGonzo
Aguvazk

Post by Aguvazk »

Jacques Villeneuve in Renault, for a wc was really anonymous. I didn't remember the year, could i google it but now i'm lazy.
I'm not a serious person
1993DonningtonNo1Mk2

Arturo Merzario briefly abandoning his March to drive for Shadow in 1977.
BioBiro
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BioBiro »

Tiff Needell, from the telly, in 1980.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

He won't be anonymous if I ever do what I've been thinking about for a while now...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Alex Caffi

Post by Alex Caffi »

Hideki Noda? drove for Larrousse for 3 races at the arse end of the 1994 season.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Alex Caffi wrote:Hideki Noda? drove for Larrousse for 3 races at the arse end of the 1994 season.

I remember it and I wasn't born yet
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

I would say Vitantonio Liuzzi at HRT, but wiping out several drivers at Monza was memorable enough.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

FullMetalJack wrote:I would say Vitantonio Liuzzi at HRT, but wiping out several drivers at Monza was memorable enough.

Indeed it was. I was there!
MCard LOLA
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

How well will people remember Grosjean driving for Haas? Beyond his first year when he was partnered with Gutiérrez, I would say all the triumph has been earned by his teammate Magnussen. To me, whilst it was Grosjean's gamble to move to Haas and give it a shot, Kevin seems like the Jenson Button to his Jacques Villeneuve.

Also, Brendon Hartley drove in Formula 1 for a full season!
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Rob Dylan wrote:How well will people remember Grosjean driving for Haas? Beyond his first year when he was partnered with Gutiérrez, I would say all the triumph has been earned by his teammate Magnussen. To me, whilst it was Grosjean's gamble to move to Haas and give it a shot, Kevin seems like the Jenson Button to his Jacques Villeneuve.

Also, Brendon Hartley drove in Formula 1 for a full season!

I doubt many people will rate Magnussens stint at Haas that highly looking back (though hard to predict), so Grosjean will likely only be remembered for 'Did Ericsson hit me?' memes. I just merely have this feeling Grosjean is making Magnussen look good, and that's how people will eventually remember him.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

He had a good enough year against Magnussen in 2017 that people were complaining when they retained Magnussen instead of sacking him for Leclerc... and we all know who had the better 2018, and then some were calling for Grosjean to be gone.

Getting back to the actual question, the way things are going, of course he'll be most associated with Lotus because that's where the most success was, although I feel like drivers who never leave the midfield are less likely to end up associated with one team than those who are regular frontrunners at some point.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Kobayashi drove for Caterham in 2014!? For basically the entire season?!

How come I remember André Lotterer better as a driver for Caterham, when he did one bloody race?
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Rob Dylan wrote:Kobayashi drove for Caterham in 2014!? For basically the entire season?!

How come I remember André Lotterer better as a driver for Caterham, when he did one bloody race?

I mean i don't remember much from Kobayashi's Toyota-stint either.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

This wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote:Kobayashi drove for Caterham in 2014!? For basically the entire season?!

I mean i don't remember much from Kobayashi's Toyota-stint either.

I vaguely remember him trying to overtake a lot of drivers in a Toyota.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.