The most anonymous F1 stints

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
dr-baker

Re: The most anonymous F1 stints

Post by dr-baker »

So everyone associates Kobayashi with Sauber, mostly because of his podium at the 2012 Japanese Grand Prix?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

dr-baker wrote:So everyone associates Kobayashi with Sauber, mostly because of his podium at the 2012 Japanese Grand Prix?

Nah he actually made lot of cool passes in that Sauber.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I distinctly remember him showing up Nakajima in his debut by running his compatriot off the track and finishing in the points! Also he really shoved Button when the latter was going for the championship.

The race I'll remember him for, which is why I associate him solely with Sauber, is 2010 Japan, where he bumped into about three or four other cars and finished with half the sponsorship scraped off his car, but completely intact. It was his greatest talent: being completely indestructible. Also 2011 Belgium when Hamilton knocked himself out trying to pass Kamui will always go in my desert island memory bank.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Stefan Johansson at Ligier.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

FullMetalJack wrote:Stefan Johansson at Ligier.

But this sticks slightly in my mind because he came from McLaren and this was the start of the end of his F1 ..
Ghinzani at Ligier the previous year, maybe more anonymous ..(part of his unhappy foray into non-Osella teams)
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
LadyMarussia295

Post by LadyMarussia295 »

James1978 wrote:Nobody anonymous, but on a sort of similar theme, I keep forgetting Alonso and Kimi were teammates for a year at Ferrari in 2014. I often think they went straight from Alonso/Massa to Vettel/Kimi.

Well, Ferrari in 2014 wad easy to forget.
Life runs fast, unless you're driving it.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

On page 8 there are a few mentions of Grosjean and Magnussen at Haas - well until I read this thread again, I'd completely forgotten Gutierrez drove for them in 2016! (I always think they've had Ro Gro and K-Mag the whole time they've been in F1).

Similarly, Magnussen in a Renault in 2016 (as I thought he'd driven for Haas!!).
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
FortiWinks

Post by FortiWinks »

Think it’s almost about time for Rob Dylan’s yearly comment about how he forgot that Nasr raced for Sauber in 2015-16 :D
Knows two facts about ducks and both of them are wrong
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Felipe Nasr.

But seriously, I'm having serious trouble remembering exact things from 2017-2019. I feel like the last three years have been one continuous identical set of results, and there are probably a few drivers who have already slipped through the cracks of my memory.

*passage of time looking at Wikipedia*

Oof, do you know who I did forget about completely?

Esteban Ocon. He sure faded away quickly.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Mika Salo making his debut in a Lotus in 1994. Mind you who didn't drive for Lotus that year?
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Will Stevens....I had completely forgotten about him until recently I got a memory jog. Raced for 2 teams, as well
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

yannicksamlad wrote:Will Stevens....I had completely forgotten about him until recently I got a memory jog. Raced for 2 teams, as well

I remembered that he drove for Manor, but had to look up the other team he drove for. Looks like that was a one-off entry, so forgivable I think. Not great considering I live about 1/2 hour from his home town.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

dr-baker wrote:
yannicksamlad wrote:Will Stevens....I had completely forgotten about him until recently I got a memory jog. Raced for 2 teams, as well

I remembered that he drove for Manor, but had to look up the other team he drove for. Looks like that was a one-off entry, so forgivable I think. Not great considering I live about 1/2 hour from his home town.

It's not like i remember everything from people living in my town. Sorry max :P
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

This wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

It's not like i remember everything from people living in my town. Sorry max :P

How can people forget Caterham crowdfunding their way into one last race? :?
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

CaptainGetz12 wrote:How can people forget Caterham crowdfunding their way into one last race? :?

Remembering the crowdfunding is not the same as remembering the drivers that competed at said race. Two different facts. Related facts, but not the same fact.
MCard LOLA
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Zanardi in a Minardi. I completely forgot about that until Alex mentioned it in his recent Beyond the Grid podcast just prior to his awful accident.
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

ibsey wrote:Zanardi in a Minardi. I completely forgot about that until Alex mentioned it in his recent Beyond the Grid podcast just prior to his awful accident.

I knew he drove for Minardi. But I tend to forget that he also drove for Jordan.
MCard LOLA
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

F E L I P E N A S R :badoer:
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Rob Dylan wrote:But seriously, I'm having serious trouble remembering exact things from 2017-2019. I feel like the last three years have been one continuous identical set of results, and there are probably a few drivers who have already slipped through the cracks of my memory.

I'm in the same boat, you could tell me that Father Hiroshima Twinkie was a stand-in for Renault in the 2016 Brazilian GP or somesuch and I'd see no reason not to believe you. Pascal Wehrlein is one who really slips through the cracks for me, I know he drove for Marussia at some point or other (and maybe Sauber when they were in the anonymous blue phase?) but I couldn't give you a year or who his teammate was or anything.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
BJ McLeod

Post by BJ McLeod »

Anyone remember when Heikki Kovalainen subbed for Kimi at the end of 2013?

I didn't, until 15 minutes ago
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

BJ McLeod wrote:Anyone remember when Heikki Kovalainen subbed for Kimi at the end of 2013?

I didn't, until 15 minutes ago

I don't think Davide Valsechhi will ever forget it.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Pinkd56
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pinkd56 »

Charles Pic. In general. Either season.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Patrick Friesacher.

The guy's forty now. Middle aged. He could've walked past me in the street earlier and I wouldn't have batted an eyelid. And not just because we'd both be masked up.
Just For One Day...
BJ McLeod

Post by BJ McLeod »

CoopsII wrote:Patrick Friesacher.

The guy's forty now. Middle aged. He could've walked past me in the street earlier and I wouldn't have batted an eyelid. And not just because we'd both be masked up.

Friesacher is definitely one of those guys who just seemed to drop off the face of the earth post F1.

Should have got on the phone to Stoddy about a drive in the 2 seater. Who wouldn't want to work with both HWNSNBM and the last man to drive a Honda F1 car Cameron McConville
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

ibsey wrote:Zanardi in a Minardi. I completely forgot about that until Alex mentioned it in his recent Beyond the Grid podcast just prior to his awful accident.

Zanardi in a Minardi was funny because the names rhyme.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Not a stint and not a driver but did anyone else forget Trulli won Monaco? I read it in a 'Monaco winners article' over the weekend but thought, that's not right, they mean Panis in 96, don't they? But, no, his one and only win was Monaco seventeen years ago.

:chilton:
Just For One Day...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

It must be one of the "most anonymous wins" of all time. I'm not sure whether it was because his career faded out slowly rather than quickly. I'm trying to think of other examples now!

Something I totally forget every time is that Mansell won the famous race that Damon Hill and Michael Schumacher collided at Adelaide. That's a fact I continuously forget every time the subject comes up. "Who won that race?" I mean, the dude only showed up for a few races, and whilst we all remember 1995 :facepalm: I don't always remember his 1994 stint.

Does anyone have any more anonymous winners?
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

I never forgot Jarno Trulli was a one-time winner, but I had to be reminded it was Monaco. Then, thinking about it, it was that race where Jenson Button, who also wanted his first win, chased him all the way to the line. Being in 2004, it was probably the only realistic chance either of them was ever going to have to win that year...

The BBC forgot about Alessandro Nannini's solitary later-inherited win at Suzuka in 1989 when they wrote an article for their annual season preview about one-hit wonders. "The 1980s were so dominated by the likes of Piquet, Prost, Senna and Mansell that there were no one-hit wonders in the entire decade", or words to that effect. Later on: "Michael Schumacher is currently a member of the one-hit wonder club..."

...that's right, this was the 1993 Grand Prix guide. Two and a half years was all it took for the author to forget Nannini's victory. Yes, there was a much bigger fish to fry in that race, but you'd think that they'd remembered the outcome of that fried fish...

On the "bigger fish to fry" front, when Jeremy Clarkson was gushing about how big a fan he was of Gilles Villeneuve, and wasn't the 1979 French Grand Prix at Dijon so great because of that epic battle with René Arnoux, "but nobody remember that Jean-Pierre Jabouille won the race" - even though it was his first win, Renault's first win, and the first win for a turbocharged engine. Is that really the case?
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Rob Dylan wrote:It must be one of the "most anonymous wins" of all time. I'm not sure whether it was because his career faded out slowly rather than quickly. I'm trying to think of other examples now!

Despite the win Trulli was sacked by Briatore before the season was over and, I think, he ended up with Toyota whilst Villeneuve took his seat. Both drivers hoped to achieve more success in the coming seasons.

The Narrator wrote:They didn't
Just For One Day...
James1978

Post by James1978 »

To me, Heikki Kovalainen is an anonymous winner. Just lucky that Massa and Hamilton both hit trouble (and Kimi was trapped in slower traffic at a circuit you can't pass on too).
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

It wasn't an anonymous F1 stint be any means but I had completely forgotten that Nico Rosberg won the title five years ago until it popped up on an 'On This Day' page.
Just For One Day...
James1978

Post by James1978 »

I would have said before Abu Dhabi, Latifi would have been a contender for this thread, even his points finish in Hungary was pretty much forgotten after Russell's podium in the non-Spa race.
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Yeah ok, but in all fairness, his career isn't over yet, so who knows what kind of awesome Latifiness he'll bring. Save the best for last?
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

Antonio Giovinazzi's entire F1 career or the vast majority of it.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Not a driver but does anybody remember Marco Mattiacci? You could probably devote a thread to anonymous team principles and most would be Ferrari men.
Just For One Day...
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

....Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand another ones gone. Farewell Mr Binotto.

We'll remember him, though, because of his hair :pantano:
Just For One Day...
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

For the time being, Mick Schumacher, all anyone will remember him for is being Michael's son.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Har1MAS1415 wrote: 29 Nov 2022, 20:29 For the time being, Mick Schumacher, all anyone will remember him for is being Michael's son.
Or perhaps Ralf's nephew?
MCard LOLA
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

dr-baker wrote: 29 Nov 2022, 22:00
Har1MAS1415 wrote: 29 Nov 2022, 20:29 For the time being, Mick Schumacher, all anyone will remember him for is being Michael's son.
I’d agree with the latter given he drove most of 2022 like Ralf’s final season with Toyota
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

dr-baker wrote: 29 Nov 2022, 22:00
Either way.