The most anonymous F1 stints

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: The most anonymous F1 stints

Post by yannicksamlad »

Geoff Lees - Shadow, Tyrrell..Ensign..etc...................not much for a Formula 2 champ. And left without trace .Somehow I didn't expect much of him though , whereas Beppe Gabbiani...I thought was going to be a big star

EDIT- now found Geoff was mentioned in the Most Forgettable Drivers discussion at viewtopic.php?f=9&t=182 , but there's always Damien Magee isn't there
Last edited by yannicksamlad on 16 Apr 2015, 10:08, edited 1 time in total.
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Johnny Herbert did a race or two for Tyrrell around Spa 1989 IIRC

On a side note I've just noticed he raced for 3 different teams in 1994 (Lotus Ligier and Benetton) I wonder if anyone else can beat that?

EDIT; Just noticed Herbert at Tyrrell has already been mentioned. There is however Capelli stint at Tyrrell in 85 and I didn't know he drove for AGS in 1986 until just now.
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Stefan Johansson's stints at AGS and Footwork in 1991.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Way before any of our times, but always surprises me that Graham Hill had a stint at Brabham.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
James1978

Post by James1978 »

watka wrote:Way before any of our times, but always surprises me that Graham Hill had a stint at Brabham.

Until I started doing alternative championships, I'd always thought he stopped driving in around 1970 or 71. (I knew he'd started his own team but didn't think he drove)!!
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Given that in one of those years his teammate won the championship, this is an odd choice but, Heikki Kovalainen at McLaren
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

FullMetalJack wrote:Given that in one of those years his teammate won the championship, this is an odd choice but, Heikki Kovalainen at McLaren

In general his career was anonymous. He stepped up to Renault during their post-championship decline, was only McLaren's 4th or 5th choice (I can't quite remember, but he was behind Nick Heidfeld in the pecking order, which says a lot), and then hit a career dead-end at Caterham. His single F1 victory was an inherited one thanks to title protagonists Hamilton and Massa's respective woes.

I think you have to look at the Italian GP of the same year to really hit home the anonymity of his stint - with the Ferrari off the boil in terms of outright performance, Massa on the wrong pit strategy, and both Raikkonen and Hamilton making strategy errors in qualifying that saw them start well down the order, the circumstances were ripe for Kovalainen to take victory, and instead Vettel in the STR beat him to the punch. One might suspect a better driver would have won that race in that car.

My nomination; Mika Salo at Arrows. Apart from points at Monaco, it was a barren season for him. I always used to think of him as just transitioning straight from Tyrrell to BAR. Even when he did get that 4th place, Diniz was not far behind in 6th. A really mediocre season for him.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Robert Doornbos drove for Red Bull. Apparently.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

In time I think it will become pretty easy to forget that Giancarlo Fisichella raced for Ferrari. Their dismal form in 2011 combined with Fisi being associated with Benetton/Renault for most of his career makes it hard to recall.

I'm sure as a few years pass, everyone will forget that Sergio Perez spent a season at McLaren! When you compare their lineup the year before and then the years after, it does look a little out of place. Just like Heikki at McLaren.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Mention of Tyrrell reminds me that Peter Revson had a one-off drive for the team at his home race in 1971...and it really didn't seem at all obvious how that happened. Not a Tyrrell-type personality..no obvious sponsor link..no particular reason for the team to run an extra car ( apart from possible prize money) , and it all went wrong for Peter ( retired early) while the regular drivers scampered off at the front.
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

yannicksamlad wrote:Mention of Tyrrell reminds me that Peter Revson had a one-off drive for the team at his home race in 1971...and it really didn't seem at all obvious how that happened. Not a Tyrrell-type personality..no obvious sponsor link..no particular reason for the team to run an extra car ( apart from possible prize money) , and it all went wrong for Peter ( retired early) while the regular drivers scampered off at the front.

Additionally, he drove in F1 as a privateer almost a full decade before he made his mark with McLaren, achieving very little.
#FreeGonzo
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

I keep forgetting that Gabriele Tarquini drove for Tyrrell at Nurburgring in 1995. Probably because I'm more interested in what Deletraz was doing that day ;)

Also I find Verstappen's stint at Tyrrell pretty unremarkable.
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
Francis23

Post by Francis23 »

ibsey wrote:I keep forgetting that Gabriele Tarquini drove for Tyrrell at Nurburgring in 1995. Probably because I'm more interested in what Deletraz was doing that day ;)

Also I find Verstappen's stint at Tyrrell pretty unremarkable.

As well as Brian Henton's Tyrrell stint in 1982, who scored no points whilst Alboreto was scoring podiums.

Thinking about it it's easy to forget Verstappen's Stewart stint too
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Francis23 wrote:Thinking about it it's easy to forget Verstappen's Stewart stint too

I had to Google that to remind myself where that stint fitted into the history of Stewart and Verstappen's career.

And how many people knew that Alan Jones raced for Graham Hill's Embassy Hill team, and scored two-thirds of the team's points?!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

dr-baker wrote:
Francis23 wrote:Thinking about it it's easy to forget Verstappen's Stewart stint too

I had to Google that to remind myself where that stint fitted into the history of Stewart and Verstappen's career.

And how many people knew that Alan Jones raced for Graham Hill's Embassy Hill team, and scored two-thirds of the team's points?!

How many people knew that Alan Jones raced in a privateer Hesketh that same year?
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Bobby Doorknobs

This wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

How many people knew that Alan Jones raced in a privateer Hesketh that same year?

How many people knew that he made a one-race comeback for Arrows in '83?
#FreeGonzo
Rabbi Gordon

Post by Rabbi Gordon »

This wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

Harry Stiller Racing was in the initial release of the CREW F1 1975. Every F1C nut does :D We also know the other private Heskethes of Ertl and Palm for the very same reason.
If a particle is traveling at the speed of a Spyker, it is likely to finish last. - Albers Einstein

The Hungarian language is more beautiful than you'd ever think. See, the plural of soul in Hungarian is lelkek.
Dom_Wings

Post by Dom_Wings »

Not really a stint, but I just found out that along with his DTM drive, Jean Alesi actually tested for McLaren in 2002.

Unlike Olivier Panis two years earlier, which I absolutely do know, and also it wasn't anonymous. :P
Join the GPR Discord server! https://discord.com/invite/6YDQ3aV
Warren Hughes

Post by Warren Hughes »

Reject_Dom wrote:Not really a stint, but I just found out that along with his DTM drive, Jean Alesi actually tested for McLaren in 2002.

Unlike Olivier Panis two years earlier, which I absolutely do know, and also it wasn't anonymous. :P

Not really on topic, but what a flipping beautiful car.
Nico Rosberg wrote:Break me down mentally? Good luck with that one.

:roll:
Dom_Wings

Post by Dom_Wings »

Warren Hughes wrote:Not really on topic, but what a flipping beautiful car.

+1 on that, but I felt I'd share it as it isn't really well known that Alesi had tested for a team like McLaren after he ended his F1 career. ;)
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

RonDenisDeletraz wrote:Robert Doornbos drove for Red Bull. Apparently.

Yeah, anonymous, but just a little.

Doornbos had a some kind of feud with Alonso. This started in one of free practice sessions of Hungarian Grand Prix, when Alonso got angry with Doornbos because the Dutchman didn't let him go. You know the story, Alonso threw his car against him in the middle of the straight and did a brake test in the first corner, resulting in a grid penalty for the Spaniard. In the following weekend at Turkey, he had a minor contact with the Spaniard in free practice.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Mika Salo drove for (and put in some good drives at) Sauber in 2000. It went unnoticed though.
Last edited by FullMetalJack on 08 Jul 2015, 00:11, edited 1 time in total.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Ralf Schumacher testing for Force India to try and get a drive. Also for me I would say Paul di Resta's career. I literally remember nothing he did.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

After watching an old race I was reminded of Barrichello's Honda stint 2006-2008. Thinking about it, the only thing I remember about his time at Honda was the shock podium at Silverstone in '08. I can't remember a single other thing he ever did at Honda, whereas at least Button had a pole position and a win, with some memorable moments (in his engine blowing up in Albert Park). Thinking about it, I might even stretch Barrichello's streak of anonymity back to 2005 as well, where once I again I can recall pretty much nothing he did that year. With the exception of the podium in the opening race, he was pretty much outperformed once Schumacher got the hang of the prancing sloth that was the F2005.

Barrichello's later career summary in my mind seems to come up with a rather empty gap between Ferrari and Brawn, with three years of apparent anonymity in between.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

I remember Ralf Schumacher the Jordan driver, but I struggle to remember his Williams and Toyota days.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Gianni Morbidelli's two race stint at Scuderia Italia in early 1990.

Come to think of it, Bernd Schneider at Arrows and Gregor Foitek at Brabham as well.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Alonso at Minardi.
Just For One Day...
MorbidelliObese

Post by MorbidelliObese »

FullMetalJack wrote:Gianni Morbidelli's two race stint at Scuderia Italia in early 1990.

Come to think of it, Bernd Schneider at Arrows and Gregor Foitek at Brabham as well.

Similarly Stefan Johansson's two races for AGS at the start of 1991.

And not sure if these count as they formed a part of larger stints that I do easily remember, but I'd forgotten Bertrand Gachot joined Larrousse for the last race of 1991 after getting out of the slammer, and that Karl Wendlinger joined Leyton House/March at the end of the year as well
Darling fascist bully boy, give me some more money you bastard. May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Izzyeviel wrote:I remember Ralf Schumacher the Jordan driver, but I struggle to remember his Williams and Toyota days.

Ralf crashing his Toyota at Indianapolis in 2005 led to an unforgettable weekend...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Dom_Wings

Post by Dom_Wings »

Izzyeviel wrote:I remember Ralf Schumacher the Jordan driver, but I struggle to remember his Williams and Toyota days.

I do not recall him doing badly at all in Williams...
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

I remember Ralf's stint at Williams. Specially some certain races in 2003, where he suddenly became the best driver of the grid. Then he disappeared in 2004, and was never to be seen again (except a pole lap in Suzuka in 2005). Bar that, no clue about what he did in Toyota, except that they we're paying him over 20 million a year to go around in 10th place.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Bobby Doorknobs

Reject_Dom wrote:

I do not recall him doing badly at all in Williams...

He didn't. All of his Grand Prix wins came while driving for them. He was not quite as good as Montoya but he was no slouch. Nevertheless, he did get his share of bashing from Jamie and Enoch, as far as I remember :P
#FreeGonzo
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Oddly enough, I find Ralf's Jordan stint fairly anonymous compared to his Williams days when he looked a potential WDC (had his brother never driven in F1, of course), and his Toyota days when he claimed he was the third best driver in F1. :P
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Salamander wrote:Oddly enough, I find Ralf's Jordan stint fairly anonymous compared to his Williams days when he looked a potential WDC (had his brother never driven in F1, of course), and his Toyota days when he claimed he was the third best driver in F1. :P

Really Ralf, really?

:facepalm:

When did he claim he was the third best driver in F1? I'm sure I saw it on an old race review, but i'd love to know what was going through his mind.
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

I've probably already written it somewhere on this forum, but I often forget Fisichella's stint at Sauber and assume he had directly switched from Jordan to Renault.
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

novitopoli wrote:I've probably already written it somewhere on this forum, but I often forget Fisichella's stint at Sauber and assume he had directly switched from Jordan to Renault.

I usually forget his second stint at Jordan too. Despite the fact that he won that race.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Bobby Doorknobs

novitopoli wrote:I've probably already written it somewhere on this forum, but I often forget Fisichella's stint at Sauber and assume he had directly switched from Jordan to Renault.

Yeah, I sometimes forget that too, and about Heidfeld going the other way the same year from Sauber to Jordan. I also tend to forget Glock's brief stint in the same team (also 2004), though I think that might already have been mentioned here... Possibly the others too :P
#FreeGonzo
MorbidelliObese

Post by MorbidelliObese »

FullMetalJack wrote:
Salamander wrote:Oddly enough, I find Ralf's Jordan stint fairly anonymous compared to his Williams days when he looked a potential WDC (had his brother never driven in F1, of course), and his Toyota days when he claimed he was the third best driver in F1. :P

Really Ralf, really?

:facepalm:

When did he claim he was the third best driver in F1? I'm sure I saw it on an old race review, but i'd love to know what was going through his mind.

Unless maybe he meant the third best paid driver. :D

In all seriousness wasn't he on a ridiculous salary at Toyota? Certainly not value for money.

But yeah his Toyota stint was pretty forgettable, especially 2007, I don't recall anything from him that year (admittedly I'd zoned out a bit in general that year, combination of spec tyres and the Hamilton fap fest kind of dulled my interest a bit).

Don't agree on the Williams bit though - was capable of beating everyone including his brother on his day, although how much of that was his day and how much was the car's and Michelin's day is probably open to debate.
Darling fascist bully boy, give me some more money you bastard. May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman.
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

It's probably due to the fact I didn't follow Formula 1 very much in 2003-2004, but I completely missed that Marc Genè raced (and unrejectified himself) for Williams. I always assumed he had been appointed as a Ferrari test driver soon after the end of his Minardi stint.
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

I liked Ralf, he was a decent enough driver. But at Jordan he was the next big thing and whilst I know he won races at Williams, I don't remember any of them or his other performances. The only 2 drives I can recall are the two at Indy where he certainly made a big impact. I have no idea when he joined Toyota. 2004? 2007?

Speaking of Toyota - did Zonta drive for them at some point?