The most anonymous F1 stints

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Bobby Doorknobs

Re: The most anonymous F1 stints

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Izzyeviel wrote:I liked Ralf, he was a decent enough driver. But at Jordan he was the next big thing and whilst I know he won races at Williams, I don't remember any of them or his other performances. The only 2 drives I can recall are the two at Indy where he certainly made a big impact. I have no idea when he joined Toyota. 2004? 2007?

Speaking of Toyota - did Zonta drive for them at some point?

Ralf joined Trulli at Toyota in 2005. And Zonta did indeed drive for them briefly, taking da Matta's place towards the end of 2004, and was brought in to substitute for Ralf after practice in Indy 2005 before, well, you know...
#FreeGonzo
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Izzyeviel wrote:Speaking of Toyota - did Zonta drive for them at some point?

Yes he did! But don't ask me when.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
tBone

Post by tBone »

This wrote:

Yes he did! But don't ask me when.

I did remember that, but when I started looking for his results for Toyota, I noticed that he drove 2 races for Jordan in 2001. Does anyone remember that?
YOUR
LOGO

Here
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I remember Spa 2004, when Zonta's engine blew up while he was in 4th place :( Some things are too terrible to forget...
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Rob Dylan wrote:I remember Spa 2004, when Zonta's engine blew up while he was in 4th place :( Some things are too terrible to forget...

It was a very mad race, Antonio Pizzonia of all people was looking at a podium finish before his gearbox packed in.

Speaking of which, Pizzonia's time at Williams was quite forgettable wasn't it?
I like the way Snrub thinks!
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Yes. He was the TD for a while, and when Cristiano da Matta dared criticise the team for building a dud car, he was sacked and Zonta was drafted in immediately. They then picked up Trulli who had been sacked by Flav mid-season, so Zonta went back to the bench, only to be almost immediately recalled when Panis retired with a race to spare in the season. So Toyota managed to finish 2004 with a completely different lineup to which they started, and strangely enough with their lead driver going into the season finishing it as a test & reserve driver.

Zonta also had a bit of a paradoxial call-up the following year - he was Ralf's mid-weekend replacement at Indy, but Ralf's accident was what really brought the integrity of the Michelin tyre into question and thus caused his DNS.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

Ghinzani drove a Toleman!

Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Izzyeviel wrote:Ghinzani drove a Toleman!

Yes indeed, he drove cars that weren't an Osella a couple of times, including a Ligier and a Zakspeed! Still, his name will forever be associated with Osella, like Martini to Minardi.
Bobby Doorknobs

Izzyeviel wrote:Ghinzani drove a Toleman!

Similarly: Martini drove a Toleman!

#FreeGonzo
Francis23

Post by Francis23 »

I completely forgot that Charles Pic was in F1, let alone the fact he drove for Marussia and Caterham :oops:
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

I only remembered this one when going through random Wikipedia articles.

Manfred Winkelhock apparently competed in the 1984 Portuguese Grand Prix for Brabham. He finished tenth.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I had forgotten that Gianni Morbidelli had driven for Sauber until I read it again in the "This Day in Reject History" thread.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

dr-baker wrote:I had forgotten that Gianni Morbidelli had driven for Sauber until I read it again in the "This Day in Reject History" thread.

Nicola Larini at some point also drove for Sauber.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Bobby Doorknobs

Miguel98 wrote:
dr-baker wrote:I had forgotten that Gianni Morbidelli had driven for Sauber until I read it again in the "This Day in Reject History" thread.

Same year too. Pretty much anyone in the #17 car in 1997 seems to have been forgotten.
#FreeGonzo
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Miguel98 wrote:

He even scored a point!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

This wrote:
Miguel98 wrote:

He even scored a point!

Between the pair of them, they scored one point all year!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
The Chicane

Post by The Chicane »

The German Markus Winkelhock who raced for Spyker F1 in 2007...I doubt any of you guys remember him. xD

He was a test driver for Midland in 2006 and later got a one race drive with Spyker at the 2007 European GP.
RENAULT CLASSIC (1977 - 2017)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11 : Drivers' titles
12 : Constructors' titles
Bobby Doorknobs

ChequeredFlagNope wrote:The German Markus Winkelhock who raced for Spyker F1 in 2007...I doubt any of you guys remember him. xD

He was a test driver for Midland in 2006 and later got a one race drive with Spyker at the 2007 European GP.

Indeed. He did one race for them, was miles off the pace in qualifying and was even further away from anybody in the race, eventually going out with a hydraulics problem.
#FreeGonzo
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Simtek wrote:
ChequeredFlagNope wrote:The German Markus Winkelhock who raced for Spyker F1 in 2007...I doubt any of you guys remember him. xD

Indeed. He did one race for them, was miles off the pace in qualifying and was even further away from anybody in the race, eventually going out with a hydraulics problem.

Of course. I don't recall the bloke doing anything else of note in that race weekend. Seemed a bit hopeless in the rain, though.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Wait what?
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

This is GP Rejects, we ought to only be interested in the back of the grid. For Winkelhock to be forgettable by us, he must have been a race leader in his only race...
MCard LOLA
The Chicane

Post by The Chicane »

dr-baker wrote:This is GP Rejects, we ought to only be interested in the back of the grid. For Winkelhock to be forgettable by us, he must have been a race leader in his only race...

Race leader mostly by default... :pantano: Those pit overtakes must of been hard....
RENAULT CLASSIC (1977 - 2017)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11 : Drivers' titles
12 : Constructors' titles
MorbidelliObese

Post by MorbidelliObese »

I remember Larini standing in at Ferrari when Alesi was injured in 1994, of course taking the podium in the tragic Imola race, but I had completely forgotten he also did a couple of races at the end of 1992, when Capelli was sacked.
Darling fascist bully boy, give me some more money you bastard. May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

MorbidelliObese wrote:I remember Larini standing in at Ferrari when Alesi was injured in 1994, of course taking the podium in the tragic Imola race, but I had completely forgotten he also did a couple of races at the end of 1992, when Capelli was sacked.

To continue the Larini/Morbidelli saga, Morbidelli also had a brief stint for the Scuderia, driving in the place of Prost when he was sacked. He scored a point though. (well, half-a-point).
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
MorbidelliObese

Post by MorbidelliObese »

Miguel98 wrote:
MorbidelliObese wrote:I remember Larini standing in at Ferrari when Alesi was injured in 1994, of course taking the podium in the tragic Imola race, but I had completely forgotten he also did a couple of races at the end of 1992, when Capelli was sacked.

To continue the Larini/Morbidelli saga, Morbidelli also had a brief stint for the Scuderia, driving in the place of Prost when he was sacked. He scored a point though. (well, half-a-point).

That's another one although personally I very much do remember that one as that's the race he became my 2nd favourite driver :) he was actually up to third behind Senna and Piquet after Mansell and Berger both binned it and he got by Patrese somewhere, but the whole countback rule when a race is red-flagged put him back to sixth.
Darling fascist bully boy, give me some more money you bastard. May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman.
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

You guys are here talking about anonymous F1 stints for drivers, but as for teams?….

…I forgot Midland was even a word multiple times, let alone its existence in Formula One.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
Bobby Doorknobs

WaffleCat wrote:You guys are here talking about anonymous F1 stints for drivers, but as for teams?….

…I forgot Midland was even a word multiple times, let alone its existence in Formula One.

When it comes to teams, you could say a lot of teams that never once made the grid would qualify for anonymous, but we obviously know all about them :D
#FreeGonzo
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Izzyeviel wrote:I liked Ralf, he was a decent enough driver. But at Jordan he was the next big thing and whilst I know he won races at Williams, I don't remember any of them or his other performances. The only 2 drives I can recall are the two at Indy where he certainly made a big impact. I have no idea when he joined Toyota. 2004? 2007?

Speaking of Toyota - did Zonta drive for them at some point?

Was test driver in 2004 and 2005 Replaced Da Matta from Hungary on until Japan and was TD in '05
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

WaffleCat wrote:You guys are here talking about anonymous F1 stints for drivers, but as for teams?….

The only thing I can remember about them is that their drivers collided in successive races. Arguably the dullest Formula 1 team that has ever existed, and given that they competed when Toyota was around, that takes some doing.

Maybe i'm still a little bitter, as Jordan are/were my favourite Formula 1 team of all time, and it was sad to see the end of them.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I do recall Monteiro crashing a lot that year. Literally the only thing I remember about that team, Monteiro crashing every other race.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

FullMetalJack wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote:I remember Spa 2004, when Zonta's engine blew up while he was in 4th place :( Some things are too terrible to forget...

It was a very mad race, Antonio Pizzonia of all people was looking at a podium finish before his gearbox packed in.

Speaking of which, Pizzonia's time at Williams was quite forgettable wasn't it?

Well, he crashed with Montoya while trying to unlap himself in the 2005 Belgian Grand Prix. I remember Ron Dennis getting mad in the pit wall. Not only this but this crash helped a bit Alonso in that year.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Sebastien Bourdais actually had already done testing for Arrows all the way back in 2002 (about a week before they went bankrupt) before he became a Toro Rosso driver 6 years later and did all those interesting things that he did.
el_chasco

Post by el_chasco »

Gaston Mazzacane, Ricardo Pizzonia...
Bobby Doorknobs

el_chasco wrote:Gaston Mazzacane, Ricardo Pizzonia...

So anonymous that you forgot that Pizzonia's first name is actually Antonio? ;)
#FreeGonzo
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Two that I used to think were so anonymous I actually think about them quite regularly now are Thomas Enge and Nicholas Kiesa.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

AndreaModa wrote:Two that I used to think were so anonymous I actually think about them quite regularly now are Thomas Enge and Nicholas Kiesa.

Tomas Enge, didn't he lose his superlicence for a while becuase he tested positive for Cannabis?
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

AdrianSutil wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:Two that I used to think were so anonymous I actually think about them quite regularly now are Thomas Enge and Nicholas Kiesa.

Tomas Enge, didn't he lose his superlicence for a while becuase he tested positive for Cannabis?

Yes he did. He was also stripped of the 2002 F3000 title because of it, as he was disqualified from the Hungarian round, which he'd won. The 10 points lost put him in third.

Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Rob Dylan wrote:Sebastien Bourdais actually had already done testing for Arrows all the way back in 2002 (about a week before they went bankrupt) before he became a Toro Rosso driver 6 years later and did all those interesting things that he did.

It was in Valencia in July. I remember it well, I was there. He was impressive, very good feedback but it would have taken a lot more testing for him to adapt to a then-current Formula 1 car. He just didn't commit sufficiently in braking and corner turn-in.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Anthony Davidson in 2002. Brought in to replace Yoong who couldn't qualify, and Anthony himself couldn't finish. And on that note, I might also add Anthony Davidson 2005, Anthony Davidson 2007 and Anthony Davidson 2008.
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

Rob Dylan wrote:Anthony Davidson in 2002. Brought in to replace Yoong who couldn't qualify, and Anthony himself couldn't finish. And on that note, I might also add Anthony Davidson 2005, Anthony Davidson 2007 and Anthony Davidson 2008.

Not really for 07-08 because:
a. Bahrain 2007: Davidson was in SIXTH place with laps to go before the damn engine let go :'(
b. Other 2007 occassions
c. 2008: Because the team collapsed (or tricked?)
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke