The most anonymous F1 stints

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Rob Dylan

Re: The most anonymous F1 stints

Post by Rob Dylan »

Trulli was on pole at Spa 2004. That race is remembered for the incredible movement through the field by Raikkonen, the looming threat of Schumacher throughout, the sudden burst of speed by Alonso which was tragically ended by problems, the even more tragic problems for Zonta as he nearly scored major points, and the spectacular tyre failure on Button's BAR which took out HWNSNBM. But throughout the race Trulli was anonymous and finished 9th.

Trulli was on the front row at Spa 2009. That race is remembered for the awful start by Barrichello (whose car caught fire later), the deliberate off-track boost by Raikkonen, the battle for the lead between shock polesitter Fisichella and the Ferrari's KERS, and the first-lap pileup that took out championship leader Button. Trulli quickly fell back to the midfield, eventually the back, and then retired long after anyone had noticed he'd gone.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Philippe Alliot's one off drive for McLaren in 1994. I read somewhere that Peugeot wanted him in the car all season instead of Brundle. Thankfully Ron Dennis knew better.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

When I saw Mansell's two races in 1995, I thought it was a typo that meant 1994—I'd forgotten his 1995 races along with France and Europe in 1994.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Waris

Post by Waris »

Idk if anyone's mentioned it in this thread before, but I always thought Christian Klien's HRT stint was pretty forgettable (as was his entire career to be honest). And I'm sure there was one other anonymous stint, but I can't remember whom it was, so that kind of proves my point.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

Will Stevens seems like a good candidate for the future (I'm assuming that he won't get another opportunity).
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Waris wrote:Idk if anyone's mentioned it in this thread before, but I always thought Christian Klien's HRT stint was pretty forgettable (as was his entire career to be honest). And I'm sure there was one other anonymous stint, but I can't remember whom it was, so that kind of proves my point.

Maybe Ricciardo's stint at HRT in 2011?
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Johnny Herbert's Tyrrell stint in 1989
Ducktanian

Post by Ducktanian »

On that note, I'd say Johnny Herbert's first stint at Benetton earlier that same year.
I knew he drove for Benetton in '94 & '95 but I wasn't aware that he drove for them all the way back in '89!
Murray Walker: "A lot of people here are really debating whether Ricardo Rosset is Formula 1 material"
Martin Brundle: "Well, it's a fairly short debate, Murray".
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Also speaking of Herbert, he did a one-off for Ligier in 1994.
#FreeGonzo
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Tonio Liuzzi for 4 races at Red Bull in 2005, replacing Fisichella at Force India at the end of 2009 and at HRT for the entire 2011 season. Passed me by completely, apart from that 2011 Monza crash!
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Simtek wrote:Also speaking of Herbert, he did a one-off for Ligier in 1994.

At the same race Eric Bernard at Lotus. In fact, i generally don't remember much about Eric Bernard at all. I can't even remember if this has been mentioned already or not.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Mention Eric Bernard to me and I think of a driver who had a crash in which he broke his leg, even if it was while he was still at Larrousse. Amongst his many team-mates at Lotus in 1994 were Alex Zanardi, Johnny Herbert and Pedro Lamy. Does anyone see a very unfortunate connection there?
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Waris

Post by Waris »

tommykl wrote:
Waris wrote:Idk if anyone's mentioned it in this thread before, but I always thought Christian Klien's HRT stint was pretty forgettable (as was his entire career to be honest). And I'm sure there was one other anonymous stint, but I can't remember whom it was, so that kind of proves my point.

Maybe Ricciardo's stint at HRT in 2011?

Ah no, I remember now. It was Di Resta's entire career -___- :lol:
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
MorbidelliObese

Post by MorbidelliObese »

Anything Jacky Ickx drove in F1 after leaving Lotus. In fact I'd almost be tempted to throw his Lotus stint in there as well.
Darling fascist bully boy, give me some more money you bastard. May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman.
MorbidelliObese

Also (yeah - been watching loads of 1970s re-runs lately) I'd almost forgotten that Graham Hill did two seasons in a works Brabham in between leaving Rob Walker and starting his own team.
Darling fascist bully boy, give me some more money you bastard. May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman.
Bobby Doorknobs

MorbidelliObese wrote:Also (yeah - been watching loads of 1970s re-runs lately) I'd almost forgotten that Graham Hill did two seasons in a works Brabham in between leaving Rob Walker and starting his own team.

Pretty much his whole post-Lotus career was forgettable.

I still often forget that John Watson briefly drove for Lotus in the mid 70s.
#FreeGonzo
MorbidelliObese

Simtek wrote:
MorbidelliObese wrote:Also (yeah - been watching loads of 1970s re-runs lately) I'd almost forgotten that Graham Hill did two seasons in a works Brabham in between leaving Rob Walker and starting his own team.

Pretty much his whole post-Lotus career was forgettable.

I still often forget that John Watson briefly drove for Lotus in the mid 70s.

Forgettable in terms of results definitely, although I did have his return from injury with Walker and his owner-driver days (and tied in with how it tragically ended) fairly clear in my memory, the Brabham bit not so much.

Watson at Lotus is a great shout, I actually had to Google/wiki that - part of their 1975 merry-go-round that saw Jim Crawford and Brian Henton get a shot as well.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

How about Ian Scheckter's career? I can remember that he did that full season for March once, but not much else.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

tommykl wrote:How about Ian Scheckter's career? I can remember that he did that full season for March once, but not much else.

Nobody has a chance of fame when you're teammate to the great Alex Ribeiro :P
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Probably been mentioned before but Paul Belmondo's March stint in 1992(3?) is largely forgettable.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

I always forget that Nelson Piquet drove for Ensign & a non works McLaren in 1978.
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
Tank

Post by Tank »

This wrote:
tommykl wrote:How about Ian Scheckter's career? I can remember that he did that full season for March once, but not much else.

Nobody has a chance of fame when you're teammate to the great Alex Ribeiro :P

I've seen footage of Scheckter spin off in Austria back in '77. Anonymous he may have been, but graceful with it.
Dan B

Post by Dan B »

I keep forgetting that Jordan hired two guys named Ralph Firman and Giorgio Pantano.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Dan B wrote:I keep forgetting that Jordan hired two guys named Ralph Firman and Giorgio Pantano.

Well after F1 Pantano was GP2 champion, hence the avatar.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Surprised nobody has mention Jordan's endless merry go round of drivers after Boutsen was sacked until a certain E. Irvine got the drive in japan also didn't Zanardi drive for Jordan at one point in 1991?
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

WeirdKerr wrote:Surprised nobody has mention Jordan's endless merry go round of drivers after Boutsen was sacked until a certain E. Irvine got the drive in japan also didn't Zanardi drive for Jordan at one point in 1991?

As far as i remember, Boutsen never got sacked, but quit on his own. It was Capelli who got sacked. But Naspetti's stint was kind of forgettable.
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

¿Anyone comentated that one-off by Jerome D'Ambrosio with Lotus in Monza 2012? ¿or Nick Heidfeld stint at Sauber in 2010? ¿maybe that one-off by De La Rosa in Canada 2011?
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:¿Anyone comentated that one-off by Jerome D'Ambrosio with Lotus in Monza 2012? ¿maybe that one-off by De La Rosa in Canada 2011?

X
Wrong. Not anonymous.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:¿Anyone comentated that one-off by Jerome D'Ambrosio with Lotus in Monza 2012? ¿maybe that one-off by De La Rosa in Canada 2011?

X
Wrong. Not anonymous.

At the moment, wait some years...
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
WeirdKerr

Post by WeirdKerr »

This wrote:
WeirdKerr wrote:Surprised nobody has mention Jordan's endless merry go round of drivers after Boutsen was sacked until a certain E. Irvine got the drive in japan also didn't Zanardi drive for Jordan at one point in 1991?

As far as i remember, Boutsen never got sacked, but quit on his own. It was Capelli who got sacked. But Naspetti's stint was kind of forgettable.

Oh I had completely forgotten that Capelli had driven 2 races for Jordan in 1993 :roll:
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

WeirdKerr wrote:Oh I had completely forgotten that Capelli had driven 2 races for Jordan in 1993 :roll:

I hadn't. He was the only driver to rack up a DNQ that year in any car other than the lumbering Lola T93/30.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

dinizintheoven wrote:
WeirdKerr wrote:Oh I had completely forgotten that Capelli had driven 2 races for Jordan in 1993 :roll:

I hadn't. He was the only driver to rack up a DNQ that year in any car other than the lumbering Lola T93/30.

I assume the shame of that DNQ was the cause of him retiring from Formula 1.
WeirdKerr

Post by WeirdKerr »

Interview with Ivan in this months F1 racing reveals he had only brought in $250,000 and Eddie Jordan was wanting at least $1M... so the money ran out... along with his luck, I remember there were rumours in 1994 that Williams were gonna maybe sign him in the aftermath of Senna's death( Newey connection from the March days)
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Pierluigi Martini's year at Dallara.
Bobby Doorknobs

FullMetalJack wrote:Pierluigi Martini's year at Dallara.

Pierluigi Martini's weekend at Toleman.
#FreeGonzo
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Simtek wrote:

Martini driving anything other than a Minardi. Now I would love to have seen Pierluigi drive a Martini-sponsored Minardi...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

dr-baker wrote:
Simtek wrote:

Martini driving anything other than a Minardi. Now I would love to have seen Pierluigi drive a Martini-sponsored Minardi...

Or a Martini-sponsored Martini. (i think they still made f3 cars back then, so it would be possible)
Bobby Doorknobs

This wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Martini driving anything other than a Minardi. Now I would love to have seen Pierluigi drive a Martini-sponsored Minardi...

Or a Martini-sponsored Martini. (i think they still made f3 cars back then, so it would be possible)

Or Giancarlo Martini driving a Martini-sponsored Martini F1 car in the late seventies.
#FreeGonzo
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Another mid-90s one I just got reminded of (from re-reading the 1994 feature in Autosport from last summer) was that Karl Wendlinger tried to make a comeback at Sauber in 1995 trying to recover from his horrible Monaco accident the previous year but he was never the same again. I'd totally forgotten that and had thought for ages the Monaco crash completely ended his F1 career (and JCB had the 2nd Sauber seat for the whole season in 1995).
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Rabbi Gordon

Post by Rabbi Gordon »

I tend to forget about Bouillon being an F1 driver at all, not to mention that he isn't even a reject.

Also Naoki Hattori.
If a particle is traveling at the speed of a Spyker, it is likely to finish last. - Albers Einstein

The Hungarian language is more beautiful than you'd ever think. See, the plural of soul in Hungarian is lelkek.