The most anonymous F1 stints

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Ataxia
Not Important

Re: The most anonymous F1 stints

Post by Ataxia »

AxelP800 wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote:Anthony Davidson in 2002. Brought in to replace Yoong who couldn't qualify, and Anthony himself couldn't finish. And on that note, I might also add Anthony Davidson 2005, Anthony Davidson 2007 and Anthony Davidson 2008.

Not really for 07-08 because:
b. Other 2007 occassions

Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Ataxia wrote:
AxelP800 wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote:Anthony Davidson in 2002. Brought in to replace Yoong who couldn't qualify, and Anthony himself couldn't finish. And on that note, I might also add Anthony Davidson 2005, Anthony Davidson 2007 and Anthony Davidson 2008.

Not really for 07-08 because:
b. Other 2007 occassions

[img]groundhog[/img]

My first thought as well.

But also, didn't Anthony qualify about 10th or 11th in a qually session in Turkey that year as well?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
MorbidelliObese

Post by MorbidelliObese »

Currently watching a race from 1990, and Nicola Larini is driving a Ligier. Clean forgot about that one.
Darling fascist bully boy, give me some more money you bastard. May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

dr-baker wrote:
Ataxia wrote:
AxelP800 wrote:Not really for 07-08 because:
b. Other 2007 occassions

[img]groundhog[/img]

My first thought as well.

But also, didn't Anthony qualify about 10th or 11th in a qually session in Turkey that year as well?

Yeah. Think he set the 7th fastest time in Q2 to reach Q3. I think. There's a youtube video of his on-board lap, really really good viewing. Totally nailed the final sector.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

AdrianSutil wrote:
dr-baker wrote:But also, didn't Anthony qualify about 10th or 11th in a qually session in Turkey that year as well?

Yeah. Think he set the 7th fastest time in Q2 to reach Q3. I think. There's a youtube video of his on-board lap, really really good viewing. Totally nailed the final sector.

I would like to say that were true, sadly Davidson (after the video ended) missed Q3 by 0.122s and then got pushed off at the first corner. As for Bahrain, he was 6th since he was out of sequence on strategy, and was like, 12th when his engine blew.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Riccardo Patrese at Benetton

Pierre-Henri Raphanel's stints for Larrousse and Rial were pretty anonymous, I only think of Coloni when I think of him.

Speaking of Rial. Bertrand Gachot and Gregor Foitek's brief stints with the team.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Bruno Senna's Williams career. Also same as Barrichello. I keep on forgetting those Rubens drove for Williams.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Yamamoto at HRT.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

andrew wrote:Yamamoto at HRT.

Yamamoto in anything imo is not anonymous. Klien in the HRT though.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Aguaman wrote:

I still remember going into the Silverstone weekend having not read anything online about the driver change, turning on the TV in the middle of Q1, looking at the lap times column and wondering "who the hell is YAM?" :D

And who can forget that Monza incident?
#FreeGonzo
andrew

Post by andrew »

I have.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Aguaman wrote:

Klien in the HRT forgettable, or anonymous? We will never forget that weekend in Singapore where Yamamoto was sick (of the wallet kind), and Klien was brought in to replace him at the last minute, and he destroyed Bruna Senna.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Miguel98 wrote:
Aguaman wrote:

Klien in the HRT forgettable, or anonymous? We will never forget that weekend in Singapore where Yamamoto was sick (of the wallet kind), and Klien was brought in to replace him at the last minute, and he destroyed Bruna Senna.

Klien in the HRT is particularly memorable for me. I watched the Grand Prix from a nearby hotel, and as Klien sped past in the first practice, I processed my thought of "What the [quite rude expletive] is he doing here?" rather audibly.

I was thirteen at the time, my mother was in the room with me, and needless to say she was not pleased. Thank you Christian Klien for ruining my innocence in front of my family.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Christian Klien waved to me when I called out to him ( on my once in a lifetime Monaco trip 2009) as he walked down the pit lane.
So he became a bit of a favourite of mine after that.
Was he under- rated? Maybe..
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Currently watching the 1998 season, and wow... Jordan, Stewart, Arrows, Sauber, Minardi, Tyrrell and Prost are all competing to be as unnoticeable as possible. I understand that obviously Jordan go on to be a little less anonymous at Spa, but I will nominate:

- Jarno Trulli at Prost in 1998
- Olivier Panis at Prost in 1998
- Jos Verstappen at Stewart in 1998 (which was actually mentioned earlier somewhere I think)

Even as I'm watching the season I'm forgetting who is on the grid, and for which team. 1998 had such a huge gap between the top 4 teams (McLaren, Ferrari, Williams, Benetton) and the rest that there are so many nominations for anonymity.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Here's a cracker: Narain Karthikeyan drove at the 2011 Indian Grand Prix. In the first eight races Narain achieved two solid 17th place results as his best drives, something his successor - a certain D. Ricciardo - could only hope to match with a single 18th place over the remaining 11 races. Although he was replaced, Karthikeyan actually came back for the Indian Grand Prix (I wonder why) and cemented his place in the standings with another outstanding 17th place.

But seriously, I forget this guy ever entering or leaving Formula 1, and that one-race stint is arguably the most forgettable thing he ever did in his glistening career.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

I remember him mainly for that race (Singapore was it?) where he had an amusing crash and took Rosberg out as well because he couldn't avoid him.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Barbazza wrote:I remember him mainly for that race (Singapore was it?) where he had an amusing crash and took Rosberg out as well because he couldn't avoid him.

Are you sure that wasn't Abby Dabby? Although I may be thinking of something else here
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

It might well have been. For me the tracks are the anonymous part of F1 these days rather than the drivers!
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

Barbazza wrote:I remember him mainly for that race (Singapore was it?) where he had an amusing crash and took Rosberg out as well because he couldn't avoid him.

That'd be the 2012 Abu Dhabi GP. The hydraulics in Cucumberkayan's steering failed out of T14 (the first corner overlooking the yacht harbour), and Rosberg was right behind him at the time. Narain lifted unexpectedly early, and Rosberg had nowhere to go.

Since I'm in this thread, I may as well throw in my own two cents. Being in the midst of a "career mode" in the Black Stig Memorial forum, I've picked up on a few performance trends in the late-80s because I'm a massive world-building geek like that. Rene Arnoux got completely bathplugged over when Renault pulled out of the turbo arms race after 1986. His only points were 6th in the 1987 Belgian GP (where only 10 finished, thanks in no small part to Mansell taking out Senna, engine failures for Piquet & Berger and a transmission failure for Alboreto) and 5th in the rain-soaked 1989 Canadian GP where only 8 finished.
Manager of Calsonic Team Impul in Formula E, K-Apex in PES & Eurasian F3 and Mitsuoka in Alt-F1 '76.
My career mode thread - 1988: AGS (19pts, 9th) // 1989: Arrows (25pts, 8th, 1 win!)
You'll never DNF if you always DNPQ. #RollSafe
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Regenmeister94 wrote:Rene Arnoux got completely bathplugged over when Renault pulled out of the turbo arms race after 1986.

Not so anonymous thanks to James Hunt!
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Rupert Keegan - over 4 seasons he apparently turned up 37 times for a Grand Prix weekend...and left no mark ( slight exaggeration seeing I just remembered him )
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
Ducktanian

Post by Ducktanian »

Bleu, sometime long ago wrote:Aguri Suzuki - Jordan, Pacific GP 1994
Yannick Dalmas - Larrousse, 1994
Eric Bernard - Lotus, European GP 1994

I completely forgot about all of these stints.
1994 was full of these weird little stints.
Wait... I dont even remember who drove for Ligier whilst Bernard was at Lotus.
*looks it up* Franck Lagorce? Who is that?
Murray Walker: "A lot of people here are really debating whether Ricardo Rosset is Formula 1 material"
Martin Brundle: "Well, it's a fairly short debate, Murray".
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Dartanian wrote:
Bleu, sometime long ago wrote:Aguri Suzuki - Jordan, Pacific GP 1994
Yannick Dalmas - Larrousse, 1994
Eric Bernard - Lotus, European GP 1994

I completely forgot about all of these stints.

Herbert also drove one race for Ligier at Jerez in 1994.

One that I always forget about is JJ Letho driving for Sauber at Japan and OZ in 1994
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Dartanian wrote:I completely forgot about all of these stints.

I do remember Franck Lagorce, prinicipally for the crash he had in Japan where the car just slewed sideways suddenly (possibly aquaplaning) off the track, then getting out and looking so incredibly pissed off.

The cover of the Richard Williams book 'Racers' appears to depict this, but unfortunately there is no credit for the picture, and that's an account of the 1996 season so it very likely isn't.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Franck Lagorce also had the "honour" of being Forti's official test driver in 1996. I doubt he got much more mileage than Andrea Montermini at MasterCard Lola a year later. :badoer:
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Chrisdude

Post by Chrisdude »

Barbazza wrote:
Dartanian wrote:I completely forgot about all of these stints.

I do remember Franck Lagorce, prinicipally for the crash he had in Japan where the car just slewed sideways suddenly (possibly aquaplaning) off the track, then getting out and looking so incredibly pissed off.

The cover of the Richard Williams book 'Racers' appears to depict this, but unfortunately there is no credit for the picture, and that's an account of the 1996 season so it very likely isn't.

I think the crash shown on the cover of the book is Mark Blundell's Ligier in practice at Silverstone in 1993, there is a clip of him getting out of the car which is in the middle of the track as the two McLarens come zooming past, looks like a bit of a brown trousers moment! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0g_TYXIpjg
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Chrisdude wrote:I think the crash shown on the cover of the book is Mark Blundell's Ligier in practice at Silverstone in 1993, there is a clip of him getting out of the car which is in the middle of the track as the two McLarens come zooming past, looks like a bit of a brown trousers moment! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0g_TYXIpjg

Yes, you're right - top spot! I spotted that the helmet of the driver on the book cover was yellow, so should have guessed it was Blundell, but I wasn't sure if they'd doctored the picture in some way.

I must say that I'd never seen that footage before, that could have been very nasty indeed.
Chrisdude

Post by Chrisdude »

If it is any consolation I had previously wondered about that crash for years afters seeing that book cover in a shop and not being able to work out what the incident was!

My anonymous stint driver is still Max Papis in 1995 who I believe managed to damage his car against the pit wall before going on to the gravel at Silverstone, before later being part of the accident that gave David "warm up lap hero " Coulthard a slightly less embarrassing Italian GP!
The Chicane

Post by The Chicane »

Anybody remember Timo Glock's time at Jordan in 2004? :P
RENAULT CLASSIC (1977 - 2017)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11 : Drivers' titles
12 : Constructors' titles
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I forget Glock was at Toyota in 2008, or at Manor in 2010 or 2011. 2012 is the exception because he was acctually punching above his weight at times in his final season.

In other words, my only memories of Timo Glock are him subbing for Jordan, and for pitting after about seven laps after leading Bahrain in 2009 with practically no fuel - one of the dumbest strategies I can remember for a long time.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

The Chicane wrote:Anybody remember Timo Glock's time at Jordan in 2004? :P

Of course. Especially how he replaced Giorgio Pantano initially in a one-off race and scored points in his debut, albeit thanks to Williams and Toyota being disqualified. Nevertheless, that would have been an 11th place finish, still better than Pantano ever achieved.
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Most people may forget Christian Klien's oddball run for HRT in 2010. I don't, because I sincerely remember watching the Singapore Grand Prix and, as he sped past, I asked my family "Why is he here?"

What I do forget, though, was his replacement at Red Bull. No, not Liuzzi. The fact that freakin' Robert Doornbos replaced him.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

The Chicane wrote:Anybody remember Timo Glock's time at Jordan in 2004? :P

You mean Tim 'O Glock?
1993DonningtonNo1Mk2

Post by 1993DonningtonNo1Mk2 »

Anyone who drove an Osella apart from Jarier, Ghinzani and those who already have/had a profile. I'm talking about drivers like Beppe Gabbiani who also drove for Surtees briefly in 1978.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

1993DonningtonNo1Mk2 wrote:Anyone who drove an Osella apart from Jarier, Ghinzani and those who already have/had a profile. I'm talking about drivers like Beppe Gabbiani who also drove for Surtees briefly in 1978.

I don't think Larini's stint can be considered anonymous given some of the performances he managed in 1989.
1993DonningtonNo1Mk2

FullMetalJack wrote:
1993DonningtonNo1Mk2 wrote:Anyone who drove an Osella apart from Jarier, Ghinzani and those who already have/had a profile. I'm talking about drivers like Beppe Gabbiani who also drove for Surtees briefly in 1978.

I don't think Larini's stint can be considered anonymous given some of the performances he managed in 1989.

Whoops! Forgot about Larini and Grouillard of course!
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Heikki Kovalinen left F1 at the end of 2011, right?

Wrong. He did the last two races of 2013 for Lotus. I feel like I've awoken in an alternate universe...
1993DonningtonNo1Mk2

pasta_maldonado wrote:Heikki Kovalinen left F1 at the end of 2011, right?

Wrong. He did the last two races of 2013 for Lotus. I feel like I've awoken in an alternate universe...

Heikki's last full season was 2012 actually
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

pasta_maldonado wrote:Heikki Kovalinen left F1 at the end of 2012, right?