2015 British Grand Prix Discussion Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Londoner

2015 British Grand Prix Discussion Thread

Post by Londoner »

Another grand prix, another spate of Honda engine changes incoming.

At this point, it would be better for McLaren to just treat the rest of 2015 as an extended testing session. I wonder if McLaren are considering turning the Honda engines up full whack, endure the penalties and replacement parts, in the quest to have a sorted engine for 2016.

I guess the FIA would take a very dim view of McLaren willingly using more parts though...
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
AndreaModa

Re: 2015 British Grand Prix Discussion Thread

Post by AndreaModa »

Turns out they don't need to change it after all.

I'm a bit sad really because at this time for the last two years I would be heading north ready to get to the campsite for the following day and a cracking weekend (on both occasions).

Instead though on Sunday I'll be poking around Enstone on a factory tour so it's not all bad! ;)
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

AndreaModa wrote:Instead though on Sunday I'll be poking around Enstone on a factory tour so it's not all bad! ;)

You'll be poking around Enstone while most of the team will be at Silverstone? I hope there'll be no espionage!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

AndreaModa wrote:Turns out they don't need to change it after all.

I'm a bit sad really because at this time for the last two years I would be heading north ready to get to the campsite for the following day and a cracking weekend (on both occasions).

Instead though on Sunday I'll be poking around Enstone on a factory tour so it's not all bad! ;)

You could slip a couple of my CVs under some office doors whilst you're there...just an idea! ;)
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

There may be rain on Sunday....
Just For One Day...
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

CoopsII wrote:There may be rain on Sunday....

As in the prediction for every British GP ever? Call me when it is 1:58 p.m. CEST on Sunday and it rains, then we can talk about the weather.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Last two wet races (2002, 2008) have been held on the same day as Wimbledon gentlemen's final. This year they are not on the same day - so likely no rain.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Klon wrote:
CoopsII wrote:There may be rain on Sunday....

As in the prediction for every British GP ever? Call me when it is 1:58 p.m. CEST on Sunday and it rains, then we can talk about the weather.

This. For any race meant to have rain.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Bleu wrote:Last two wet races (2002, 2008) have been held on the same day as Wimbledon gentlemen's final. This year they are not on the same day - so likely no rain.

Hewitt and Nadal's victory. Good times.

I still wish Roddick won 1.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

Love the apology from Sky Sports about all the swearing we heard in the Principals Presser. :D
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

STEVENS ON RADIO, IT'S HAPPENING AGAIN
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

It's just struck me watching Q1... Does anyone else thinks that - from certain camera angles, particularly high ones - there's something very 1980s-looking about the current McLaren?
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Bring back gravel and grass. Enough of run off areas.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

mario

Post by mario »

Paul Hayes wrote:It's just struck me watching Q1... Does anyone else thinks that - from certain camera angles, particularly high ones - there's something very 1980s-looking about the current McLaren?

If by that you mean that it is normally parked by the side of the road awaiting a pick up truck with a blown turbocharger, then it is very 1980's in that regard.

One thing that is a little surprising is that Williams do seem to have made progress towards catching Ferrari in qualifying trim again - they'd fallen back a bit in that regard recently, but seem to have turned that around. I can see them fancying their chances of a podium finish this weekend - the car looked fairly balanced and, with tyre wear likely to be low, Ferrari might not have a significant pace advantage in race trim either.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

mario wrote:One thing that is a little surprising is that Williams do seem to have made progress towards catching Ferrari in qualifying trim again...

I did find the Ferrari interviews last week somewhat foreshadowing that maybe they were falling behind somewhat. We'll see in the race tomorrow I suppose.

And of course, seeing as his job is on the line, Kimi has decided to put in some effort this weekend :shock:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Press_Play2002

Post by Press_Play2002 »

Well I guess it should be a decent race for Williams (if the weather's kind to them), though I do think that Massa can finish second if Hamilton fails once again to give his new clutch the right food (if you know what I mean).
I'm also a bit weary of the track's apparent ability to master the ways of the air.
tumblr: http://www.tumblr.com/blog/n0tab0x1871 TARTZ: http://truefalse1989.deviantart.com/
"I think Press_Play2002 is on a downward spiral and has lost it completely"
~Mark WebberNot a real quote by the way
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Paul Hayes wrote:It's just struck me watching Q1... Does anyone else thinks that - from certain camera angles, particularly high ones - there's something very 1980s-looking about the current McLaren?

The nose looks particularly archaic in its general shape to me.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Good job grapics...

razta

Post by razta »

One thing, the last person to win from pole was Vettel in 2009.. since then it's been a bogey spot
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Miguel98 wrote:Good job grapics...

If Jocke1 were here, he would be mentioning how Alex Wurz could have gone 24 km/hr faster...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

No wonder Mercedes are unbeatable clearly they have a jet in that car. They are faster then a cruising 747 :P
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

peteroli34 wrote:

No wonder Mercedes are unbeatable clearly they have a jet in that car. They are faster then a cruising 747 :P

Only 200 km/h off the land speed record too. They really have returned to their era of 1930s dominance.
#FreeGonzo
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

razta wrote:One thing, the last person to win from pole was Vettel in 2009.. since then it's been a bogey spot

We can but hope!
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Get ready people, we have retards as stewards this weekend!

razta

Post by razta »

Miguel98 wrote:Get ready people, we have retards as stewards this weekend!

Nige?
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

razta wrote:
Miguel98 wrote:Get ready people, we have retards as stewards this weekend!

Nige?

GP2 was a bathplug of retardness. 'Nough said.

Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

And Felipe Nasr's car is dead on track.

Henrique

Post by Henrique »

Best race of the season, so far!
Benetton

Post by Benetton »

Way to shoot yourself in the foot Williams!

"Felipe... Valtteri is faster than you... do you effin understand"
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

VSC and the rain is coming soon....
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

Hey guys, Alonso may score points! :D
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

An enjoyable race, that. The rain kinda put a damper on the end (pun totally intended) but we had so much good racing on-track. Complaints will be abound simply because people didn't get the result they wanted.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

This was really a weird race. Like It wasn't bad but it wasn't great. It was just weird.

Lewis had that Monaco 2008 timing and luck which helped a lot. So that was cool. Not much else to say for the race. I guess it will be the worst out of the 3 British events easily with the Ashes (5-0 again please) or Wimbledon (Go Berdych (or Simon) / Muguruza (or Bacsinszky))
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

What a S**T way to end the race. Regarding that the Williams were 1-2 early on and looking good for at least a podium and the Ferraris, especially Vettel were way down, for the race to finish with a most mundane top 5 finish, is extremely frustrating. The same happened with Canada 2011 and Brazil 2012. I switched the TV off the moment Vettel crossed the line. Sums up how I feel about F1 now (still anticipating a better result in Hungary, just about).
Anyway, rant over. Congrats to Lewis on another Silverstone win.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Lewis had lots of luck there. Williams called themselves "racers". What we saw today, "racers" doesn't fit. Bitch team to Mercedes fits better.

Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Miguel98 wrote:Lewis had lots of luck there. Williams called themselves "racers". What we saw today, "racers" doesn't fit. Bitch team to Mercedes fits better.

I wouldn't say Hamilton was lucky. He would've won the race inevitably when the rain started to fall in significant amounts. And regardless, it was a good enough drive to warrant a win.

I also wouldn't say Williams are a bitch team to Mercedes, but certainly they're not racers. Racers know how valuable a win is and will do anything within their power to get one. Williams had two good strategy options open to them to try and capitalise on their start, and failed to take either, just allowing Mercedes to take the win instead.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

The Williams fan in me is feeling gutted about today's result, but that didn't take away from my overall enjoyment of the race. Mercedes had to work a little bit harder than usual for today's result. The win was never completely in doubt following the first round of pitstops, and the rain really played into their hands, given Williams' continuing lack of wet weather pace. A shame that the Grove boys didn't get a better result, but it happens.
#FreeGonzo
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Can't help feeling Williams got exactly what they deserved today - just desserts for poor strategy in the early stages; they could have let Bottas go and left Massa as rear gunner. Mercedes were gifted a 1-2.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

I'm thinking here: Had Manor lose the opportunity to score a point in this race? Both of his cars followed Raikkonen strategy to put the Inters. Kimi lost a lot of time in changing too early and the same happened with Ericsson and Alonso (who scored a point). If Manor had followed, with at least one car, Hamilton or Vettel strategy, had they scored a point?
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.