Reject of the Race - Great Britain

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Miguel98

Reject of the Race - Great Britain

Post by Miguel98 »

Post your nominees.

Williams Strategists - Every time. Every bathplug' time. EVERY SINGLE bathplug TIME. It's like they want Mercedes to win. It's like Mercedes tells them what to do.
Sebastian Vettel - Yeah, he grabbed a podium. But that was a lucky one. He was getting his arse handed to him by Kimi.
Marcus Ericsson - Switching to the slicks when it's starting to rain again is not the best decision ever. And, of course, caused the crash into turn 1.
Max Verstappen - Pulling a Lello isn't good. Rookie mistake.
Last edited by Miguel98 on 05 Jul 2015, 13:45, edited 3 times in total.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Dom_Wings

Re: Reject of the Race - Great Britain

Post by Dom_Wings »

1. Lotus - Two crashmen in a team is just too much
2. Kimi's rain strategy
Join the GPR Discord server! https://discord.com/invite/6YDQ3aV
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Ummm well I mean for me it is tough

- The commentary especially on the Williams thing and "Lewis drives like this" crap when they would blast Maldonado if he did something like that on the restart.
- WilliamsF1 was like I mean they weren't going to win. Let's be honest.
- Ericsson was just bad luck and ditto all the drivers involved with the accident.

So either Will Stevens for that funny crash or Max Verstappen for that spin after the 1st lap on the restart.

So I'll go with Max Verstappen for this.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Max Verstappen - How in the blue hell do you lose it there?
Lotus - WHY?
This race encapsulating everything about this season, so much promise, and instead it delivers the same old order when the chequered flag falls.

But ROTR has to go to:

Williams - You goddamn morons. You had Mercedes dead to rights in the first stint. DEAD TO RIGHTS. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Dishonourable mention to John Whittingdale MP, because fack the Tories.
Last edited by Londoner on 05 Jul 2015, 13:54, edited 1 time in total.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Team Enstone nuff said....
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Williams' Strategy - While they would've inevitably lost the race in the latter stages when the rain fell, their failure to make any sort of call in the first stint when one was so obviously desperately needed highlighted in type 72 font why they will never win a race again in their current form. Bottas was clearly faster than Massa, and the logical choice was to let him through. So what if somebody bitches about team orders? That's a GP win on the table, and Williams shouldn't have to be told how rare those are, especially for teams not named Mercedes. Even if that strategy didn't come together, you could always have stated that the position was to be handed back in that event, much like Red Bull did in Monaco earlier this year.

Even if that was completely 100% not an option, there was a second option, maybe not as good, but certainly better than having your two cars do the exact same thing for no tangible benefit whatsoever. That would be to pit Bottas (or Massa, for that matter) before the Mercedes', and attempt to maintain track position through the undercut. It was quite clear that it would've been faster, since both Ferraris stopped earlier and were setting fastest laps. Sure, it likely would not have worked as well as team orders, but at least it would've been an effort.

But no. Instead, they stayed on track, pointlessly both on the same strategy, allowing Hamilton to undercut them and eliminate Williams entirely from the equation. It proved that to stand still in fear of making an incorrect choice is in itself an incorrect choice in a sport as fast-paced and in need of clear, decisive, tactical thinking as Formula 1.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

Reaction of some users here since some races ago. If you don't like, don't comment and don't watch
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

Williams Strategists - Not sure whether to nominate them or not, because this happens nearly every race weekend. They show much promise only to demise thanks to a bunch of retards on the pit wall. The drivers drove very well. I guess the strategists threw away a race win, but even with their stupidity, the car is not good in the wet. Mercedes showed how vastly superior they were in the wet so they would have probably lost anyway. But how they lost the podium, which they definitely did, made me ashamed of wearing a Williams shirt.

Marcus Ericsson - Bloody nice job mate. Switched to slicks when it started to rain.

The Whole Red Bull Stable - You were like D. Wayne Lukas today. Can't take care of your horses, so they break down easily. Only difference is you had a few cars finishing the race at stake instead of potential Triple Crown winning horses breaking down. Great job.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

AxelP800 wrote:Reaction of some users here since some races ago. If you don't like, don't comment and don't watch

I did like the race. It's just frustrating to see such a good race have such a predictable ending. I mean, let's just have a look at all the things that went wrong:

• No points for Manor
  • No points for Ericsson
  • Points for McLaren
  • Williams reminded everyone why they've only won 1 race in the last 11 seasons
  • Ferrari were complete non-factors until the dying laps
  • Force India were just sort of there in the midfield, back to where they were most of this decade
  • Toro Rosso didn't do anything
  • Rosberg's race was killed by being stuck behind the Williams'
  • Ricciardo's engine failed before he could do anything
Everything's great.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

I tend only to post these when something jumps right out at me and screams "REJECT OF THE RACE!" right in my face. And this weekend was one of those. For someone who hasn't even reached the legal age to buy a pint in the pub next to the circuit, Max Verstappen has certainly got his stash of racing drivers' excuses sorted out, and was giving them all a try over the whole weekend, right up to the point where that lazy spin put him out of the race early.

The dishonourable mention goes to the witheringly inevitable conclusion that there is no combination of track and weather conditions, at all, ever, that does not openly favour Mercedes. Still, on the bright side, there's only 35 days until Formula E starts pre-season testing for 2015-16...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

dinizintheoven wrote:Max Verstappen has certainly got his stash of racing drivers' excuses sorted out, and was giving them all a try over the whole weekend, right up to the point where that lazy spin put him out of the race early.

He had a broken anti roll-bar in qualifying, FYI.
Everything's great.
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

Salamander wrote:
AxelP800 wrote:Reaction of some users here since some races ago. If you don't like, don't comment and don't watch

I did like the race. It's just frustrating to see such a good race have such a predictable ending.

Yeah, as soon as Hamilton got past the Williams duo I knew he was probably going to win. Once I heard rain was actually coming and discovered it was legit, I knew Williams would be at least 3-4. Fantastic race, definitely worth getting up early for, but the result is the bloody same. It's frustrating, but that's F1. The best driver and best team win on the day. Mercedes was that team. Hamilton was the driver.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Williams strategists - As has been said before, a win was not looking the most likely result, but not letting Bottas through looked like a baffling decision. Are they afraid of upsetting Felipe again?
Lotus - Hmmm.
#FreeGonzo
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Williams: First, Bottas was clearly faster than Massa and the team don't allowed him to pass. Not only this, but the team maintained their cars in the track too long, allowing Mercedes to pit early. In the end of first stint, lost the victory to Hamilton, exactly in the same way of 2014 Austrian Grand Prix.

In the second stint, Massa and Bottas stayed in the track too much again and lost an easy podium. Enough reasons for a ROTR, even with Lotus retiring after second corner and Verstappen doing a silly mistake. Williams are giving reasons for Bottas to go to Ferrari.

Special mention to Mercedes, for wanting Rosberg to stay in a wet track with dry tyres.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Zergon

Post by Zergon »

Lotus gets this one with their drivers crashing with each other´s on the first lap.

Dishonorable mentions
Toro Rosso: In any race where neither of your guys don´t get on the finish line is usually bad race and this time is no exception. Special mention on Verstappen who managed to get himself out of the race before any technical problem could hit his car.
Sauber: Nasr didn´t even started because of technical problems and then they managed to get "worst strategy decisions of the race" award (and there were several contenders on that one thanks to Williams and Räikkönen) with Ericsson, first pitting him when the raining started (not that bad decision on it´s own since they didn´t have much to lose anyway) then pitting him again on dry tyres just when it started raining again (and of course having to change them yet again just lap or two later). I know Mclaren are slow guys but they aren´t THAT slow!

I´m going to spare Williams (since they actually made the race interesting and managed to challenge Mercedes) and Räikkönen (looked semi-good before the wrong strategy decision) this time but obviously both could have gotten bit more out from this race.
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Williams: Bad strategy is one thing, but trying not to upset Filipe 'Petrobras' Massa is another.
The Fanboy Stewards: Was I the only one who thought Hamilton was hustling just a bit too much at the restart?
SeedStriker

Post by SeedStriker »

1)Williams Pit Wall: Strategy gone wrong, slower (critical) stops vs the Mercs, and apparently no way to counter that.

2)Max Verstappen: The next great thing huh? :p

Dishonorable mentions to Lotus (playing Wipeout on first lap), and Marcus Ericsson (went the other way at tyre selection)
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

I think I'd have to give it to Will Stevens given that was quite possibly his last opportunity not to be 20th out of 20 this season!
girry

Post by girry »

Williams Strategists allowing Lewis to undercut. Would still be tearing hairs off my head if the rain hadn't come and ensured that Williams wouldn't have won anyway.
when you're dead people start listening
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

Williams Strategy - You have to maximise your chances should have released Bottas who clearly looked quicker maybe he could have built a gap over the Mercedes. Should have pitted when Hamilton was called into the pits or maybe have pitted before. Yes they struggled in the rain at that point in the race rain was not guaranteed had they played their cards right and it had stayed dry we could have had a Williams on the top step as the Mercedes didn't seem to be a lot faster then Williams.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Sauber - They are really struggling to avoid ending up 8th in the standings now
Lotus' drivers - Still yet to have a single race where both do well. They really should be 5th or even 4th in the standings with that car now.
BBC for boring coverage, not sacking DC in favour of McNish and a very unsatisfactory race highlights video.
Of course, an honorable mention goes to the race outcome, which sucked all the positive energy out of me. Even a Williams podium would have been nice.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Chrisdude

Post by Chrisdude »

Verstappen - I know he complained all through qualifying too about no traction, but damaged car or not, he seemed to have binned it all by himself on a day where some chunky points could have been taken.

I'm not really buying the Williams strategy fail; how much faster could Bottas have really gone without the 2 DRS zones? Plus Massa's pitstop was mega slow. Obviously Williams are nowhere in the wet, or on high downforce, it seems, (good luck at hungaroring) Massa wasn't exactly backing up a Trulli Train.
girry

Post by girry »

@Chrisdude: Williams' main strategy fail was not covering Lewis's pitstop but letting him undercut and doing absolutely nothing to prevent that and not the order of their drivers.

And even saying that, if Hamilton - despite being significantly quicker than the Williams' in front - couldn't even get near trying to pass Bottas whilst being in DRS zone too, how could Bottas not have been significantly quicker than Massa (with softs)?

The same got repeated later by Rosberg failing to pass Bottas until it got wet, even if he certainly was pushing it.
when you're dead people start listening
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

Lotus' drivers - they need to take the magnets out of those cars.

If it hadn't been for that, I guess whoever was responsible for denying Williams a podium by stopping too late for inters.
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
sw3ishida

Post by sw3ishida »

Teammates taking one another out of the race? Sounds pretty rejectful to me. Can't see past Lotus for this one.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

The Race Result - after all that, Hamilton-Rosberg-Vettel. After the whole race neither Williams got on the podium, Alonso got a single point, neither Manor was in the points. In the important positions, the result was so unbelievably meh compared to what it could have been.

Dishonourable mention to Hamilton's poor showing when actually under any pressure. Sure when he's leading by a mile it's all well and good, but it's always nice to see results achieved through actual overtaking, rather than sitting behind other people, flatspotting, and only overtaking through pitstops. Of course the BBC was completely behind him as he showed off "incredible skill" in pitting a lap earlier than his teammate. Sure, whatever you say, David...
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

Mclaren/Jenson. This joke isn't funny anymore.
mario

Post by mario »

Chrisdude wrote:Verstappen - I know he complained all through qualifying too about no traction, but damaged car or not, he seemed to have binned it all by himself on a day where some chunky points could have been taken.

I'm not really buying the Williams strategy fail; how much faster could Bottas have really gone without the 2 DRS zones? Plus Massa's pitstop was mega slow. Obviously Williams are nowhere in the wet, or on high downforce, it seems, (good luck at hungaroring) Massa wasn't exactly backing up a Trulli Train.

I'd agree that Verstappen's performance in the race was very disappointing, having looked quite competitive in the practise sessions - his qualifying performance can at least be excused if he had a broken anti-roll bar, but the problems in the race were entirely of his own making.

To a certain extent, I think that Kimi earns something of a dishonourable mention - the radio transmissions released after the race confirm that he was the one who made the call to make the early change from slicks to intermediates, whilst fan footage also confirms that he ended up losing more time after having a half spin on the pit straight. He did well when it was dry, but it all went downhill when it started becoming wet and a number of problems at that stage were self inflicted.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

1. Williams Strategists: They probably wouldn't have gotten the win given the outcome of the race. But they threw away a good podium result today all on the matter that they didn't want to upset Massa, even when Bottas was clearly faster at that point.

2. Verstappen: He's sure driving like a 17 year old would. :roll:

Dishonorable Mentions:

Lotus: Double DNF on the first lap.
Last edited by DOSBoot on 07 Jul 2015, 13:48, edited 1 time in total.
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
GerhardTalger

Post by GerhardTalger »

Marcus Ericsson - Dead slow, slower that the McLaren, making the wrong call in the rain and causing the first lap accident. Yeah.

DHM to Max Verstappen who finally fueled all the "Just like his dad in the marble trap"-jokes back here in the Netherlands.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Lotus - For not only hitting each other but for the incident allowing journalists to unleash the cliche "cardinal sin" with regards to it.
Williams - Did allowing the cars to race each other ultimately cost them a better result? I have no idea. But they clearly had decent cars with decent drivers on track yesterday and yet they turned in a 'meh' result.

Dishon mention to anybody who was unhappy with Merc pissing about with their pretend-pit stop. Did it break the rules? If it did then its a rule that needs breaking, stuff like that should be an integral part of the fight, a bit of lateral thinking.
Just For One Day...
More_Blue_Flags

Post by More_Blue_Flags »

Williams Strategy - ok, once it started raining that put paid to the chances of a Williams win, but otherwise Williams' tactical decision making and responsiveness to real world events was on a par with that of Blackadder's General Melchett.

I think dosBoot might be right that Williams have placed a higher priority on keeping Massa happy than on making the best tactical calls (and making the best use of Bottas) - going back as far as Massa's dummy spit in Malaysia last year. I am starting to hope that the Bottas/Ferrari rumors are true, because it looks like he will be wasted at Williams as long as Massa is there.
CoopsII wrote:Wouldnt it be lovely if just for once someone said "I really want to emulate Boutsen and get a decent, if not spectacular, result with some solid points".
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

DOSBoot wrote:Dishonorable Mentions:

McLaren: Double DNF on the first lap.

Didn't Fernando finish 10th and score a point though?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
razta

Post by razta »

Rob Dylan wrote:The Race Result - after all that, Hamilton-Rosberg-Vettel. After the whole race neither Williams got on the podium, Alonso got a single point, neither Manor was in the points. In the important positions, the result was so unbelievably meh compared to what it could have been.

Dishonourable mention to Hamilton's poor showing when actually under any pressure. Sure when he's leading by a mile it's all well and good, but it's always nice to see results achieved through actual overtaking, rather than sitting behind other people, flatspotting, and only overtaking through pitstops. Of course the BBC was completely behind him as he showed off "incredible skill" in pitting a lap earlier than his teammate. Sure, whatever you say, David...

THIS!!
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Salamander wrote:
I did like the race. It's just frustrating to see such a good race have such a predictable ending. ...

• No points for Manor
  • No points for Ericsson
  • Points for McLaren
  • Williams reminded everyone why they've only won 1 race in the last 11 seasons
  • Ferrari were complete non-factors until the dying laps
  • Force India were just sort of there in the midfield, back to where they were most of this decade
  • Toro Rosso didn't do anything
  • Rosberg's race was killed by being stuck behind the Williams'
  • Ricciardo's engine failed before he could do anything

Hence my nominee is Surprises because, in this race, there weren't any .
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

So far provisionally I'm leaning towards Sauber. While the Williams' strategy error did throw away the one ace up their sleeve (straight line speed leaving the Mercs unable to pass), Sauber's race was a constant disaster from start to finish. One car down before the lights had gone out thanks to the seized gearbox on Nasr's car, and when the opportunity to score points was presented to them with the other car, they threw it away with the worst tyre strategy of anyone in the entire field. Switching to inters too quickly, trying to "undo" the mistake by switching to Mediums, only to then switch back to Inters again 3 laps after the change to slicks.

Williams' strategy was a small mistake with large consequences. Sauber's strategy was a big mistake with small consequences.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

CoopsII wrote:Lotus - For not only hitting each other but for the incident allowing journalists to unleash the cliche "cardinal sin" with regards to it...

You could say that Romain committed a cardinal sin in taking out Pastor :deletraz: :deletraz: :deletraz:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
AllAmericanReject

Post by AllAmericanReject »

It's gotta be the Chinese GP marshals. Their performance was so rejectful, it has affected races halfway around the world.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

AllAmericanReject wrote:It's gotta be the Chinese GP marshals. Their performance was so rejectful, it has affected races halfway around the world.

:lol:
Everything's great.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

I will go with Kimi Raikkonen and Marcus Ericsson for their lack of confidence in Narain, *ahem*, in the rain that cost then dearly.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.