Was Ricardo Rosset actually terrible?

The place for respectful and reverent discussion of Reject drivers and teams, whether profiled or not as yet
The Chicane

Was Ricardo Rosset actually terrible?

Post by The Chicane »

Was Ricardo Rosset actually a terrible driver?

He was provided with terrible cars through his really short F1 career:

1996: Footwork FA17 - Hart V8 engine -
1997: Lola T97/30 - Ford V8 engine -
1998: Tyrrell 026 - Ford V10 engine -

He had a pretty decent showing in junior categories:

1995: Super Nova Racing - Formula 3000 - 29pts 2nd in the championship

He must of been talented if he finished 2nd in International Formula 3000 which was filled with glory hungry youngsters.

I wonder what he could of done if he was provided with an actual decent car. Regular points finisher maybe?

What's your thoughts on this subject. :vergne:
RENAULT CLASSIC (1977 - 2017)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11 : Drivers' titles
12 : Constructors' titles
Bobby Doorknobs

Re: Was Ricardo Rosset actually terrible?

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Well, it's a fairly short debate ;)

Seriously though, I suppose he's a bit like Magnussen - showed quite a bit of promise in lower formulae, but failed to deliver on the top level.
#FreeGonzo
The Chicane

Post by The Chicane »

Simtek wrote:Well, it's a fairly short debate ;)

I see what you did there ;)
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

In 1995, Ricardo Rosset was second to Vincenzo Sosperi in F3000. Rosset spent a season gaining F1 race experience in 1996, Sosperi did not. They both briefly tested the Lola T97/30 before Melbourne. And Sosperi still out-qualified Rosset by 1.1 seconds. Ergo Sosperi is better than Rosset.

What does this prove? He was not the best Mastercard Lola driver....
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

I always liked his helmet design. Quite distinctive.

But let's be fair, he was crap in the Tyrrell in 1998, all those DNQs say it all, especially considering Takagi was hardly stellar opposition. Ken wanted Jos, and BAT signed Ricardo instead, probably to fund the team for that interim 1998 year.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

He was outqualified 16-0 by Verstappen in 1996, and Jos the Boss wasn't exactly known for his qualifying ability.

To be fair to Footwork, the car wasn't exactly terrible in the early stages of the season either, Verstappen was showing a lot of promise in Brazil and Argentina, and Spain too.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
SuzukiSwift

Post by SuzukiSwift »

I would say he was. He did have ability in lower categories, but in all honesty he was probably one of the worst drivers in the field in 1996 and definitely the absolute worst in 1998. I wouldn't be so quick to blame the car either - the FA17 was actually pretty fast and would have scored more points if it didn't have 2 absolute duffers driving it, Hart V8 aside. We all know how bad the Lola was. The 026 was a decent car, but he was not helped by the atmosphere in the team at the time, and the accident in Belgium was ridiculous, I'm sorry. Still, there isn't any indication that Verstappen would have had the better of Takagi either, Tora was very fast and the Dutchman simply wasn't.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Such meteoric former F1 talents from Brazil such as Antônio Pizzonia, Ricardo Zonta, Luciano Burti, Enrique Bernoldi and Tarso Marques have been able to secure full time rides in Stock Car Brasil at various times. Even Gualter Salles, the CART reject, has been able to drive full-time there. Ricardo Rosset has not. I do wonder if this is for reasons beyond simply economic considerations....
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

As far as I see it, Rosset was actually capable of being a more-than-decent driver, and actually came through with it.

The only problem is that those moments happened once every 15 years.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

More the next Bruno Senna rather than the next Senna
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

And whether or not Ricardo Rosset was really terrible, we should all wish him a happy birthday anyway.

Ditto Philippe Alliot.

And me! Hooray!
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dinizintheoven wrote:And whether or not Ricardo Rosset was really terrible, we should all wish him a happy birthday anyway.

Ditto Philippe Alliot.

And me! Hooray!

Happy birthday, Jim!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
MorbidelliObese

Post by MorbidelliObese »

It's worth remembering his 1995 F3000 season was the last of the open chassis formula. It's not like the teams were constructors, it was more like CART (choose a Lola or Reynard and choose an engine to fit to it), but Super Nova were dominant that year and there was probably more scope for the team to make a difference.

Probably off on a tangent here but I was wondering about the strength of the field that year thinking it was quite a weak year by F3000 standards, and to be honest it was far from a vintage year in terms of depth, but Sospiri and Rosset weren't exactly beating up on a bunch of bums either:

Of the drivers immediately behind Rosset in the standings - Kenny Brack (3rd) and Allan McNish (7th) went on to very successful careers at the highest non-F1 levels (US open wheel and LMP1 respectively). Tarso Marques (5th) was no world beater but hardly out of place in F1 either.

Marc Goossens (4th) won F3000 races in subsequent seasons and has long found employment in sportscars. Emmanuel Clerico (6th) seemed to have his career fizzle out but not before impressively beating the works ORECA Vipers in a straight fight in an FIA GT race in a privately run car that had the handicap of being driven by Paul Belmondo for half the race.
Darling fascist bully boy, give me some more money you bastard. May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman.
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Vitantonio Liuzzi. Did he do anything to jog people's memories?
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Spectoremg wrote:Vitantonio Liuzzi. Did he do anything to jog people's memories?

Meant for the most forgettable drivers thread?
And to answer: yes, what he did in his HRT in Monza is quite memorable.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

This wrote:
Spectoremg wrote:Vitantonio Liuzzi. Did he do anything to jog people's memories?

Meant for the most forgettable drivers thread?
And to answer: yes, what he did in his HRT in Monza is quite memorable.

Memorable for me as I was only a few hundred yards from that at the time...
MCard LOLA
The Chicane

Post by The Chicane »

You've got to feel for the poor guy though, his last chance of F1 with Tyrrell in 1998 must of been a horrible experience with nearly all of the team hating him from the beginning, I personally blame the team for Rosset's bad season as its meant to be up to team to stand behind their driver in the good times and bad.
Last edited by The Chicane on 18 Mar 2019, 02:17, edited 1 time in total.
SuzukiSwift

Post by SuzukiSwift »

I also don't know why Ken Tyrrell wanted to hire Verstappen anyway. Based on his performance in 1997 I wouldn't have.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

SuzukiSwift wrote:I also don't know why Ken Tyrrell wanted to hire Verstappen anyway. Based on his performance in 1997 I wouldn't have.

Well it was between him and Rosset. It's not like Schumacher was available.
#FreeGonzo
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

SuzukiSwift wrote:I also don't know why Ken Tyrrell wanted to hire Verstappen anyway. Based on his performance in 1997 I wouldn't have.

Wasn't he almost on par with Mika Salo? That's no mean feat, as Salo was very highly rated back then, and deservedly so.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
SuzukiSwift

Post by SuzukiSwift »

Simtek wrote:

Well it was between him and Rosset. It's not like Schumacher was available.

I'd hire a Ham Sandwich over Verstappen. This is a biased opinion of course but I do not and never have rated the Dutchman highly, but I also must say a part of this is due to his personality. And he was blown away by Salo.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Salo>Verstappen>Rosset

I for one think his 1996 season was pretty crap, I'm pretty sure even Badoer in the Forti out-qualified him at Canada and that takes some skill to be that terrible... :badoer:

1997? Well from what we briefly saw, he was at least a second slower than Sospiri in every session. So again, crap...

1998 was a little unfortunate for him. The team didn't give two-hoots from day 1, Tyrrell resigned in disgust at his signing, renaming his moped in Monaco to Tosser, seeing the mechanics shaking their heads after a DNQ in Spain, THAT crash at Belgium, the list goes on...

Overall, very disappointing.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
MartinJS81

Post by MartinJS81 »

Based on what he did in F1, yes he was. There's barely a glimmer of an impressive performance in two-and-a-bit years in F1, against some pretty mediocre team-mates. And he shone in a fairly weak F3000 year. In fairness though, his lack of career post-F1 was largely his own decision, as he took over the family sporting goods business.
Berko Zisser

Post by Berko Zisser »

I think he started too late in go-kart (with 21 y.o.) and took part in only one competition in 1990, a state-level championship. He didn't even compete in the national-level Brazilian go-kart championship. And six years later he was already in Formula 1. That's too little time to learn the basics of autoracing. Go-karting is like a school for drivers. And Rosset rushed his way through it. He was fairly successful in the lower categories, but as a F1 driver he was really dreadful. For some years he competed in the Brazilian Porsche Cup, having achieved three championships. He is also a very successful businessman, owning a fancy sportswear company called Track&Field. His family is very prominent inside the Brazilian Jewish community.
"Not today, not today, not today, today... Today?" MACHADO, Cléber
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

I think I read somewhere that the 1995 F3000 grid was not hugely competitive. So the fact that Rosset finished second in that championship was not something to be shouted about.
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Looking at drivers' career achievements Kenny Bräck and Allan McNish strike out for me.