Hungarian Grand Prix Discussion Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
CoopsII

Hungarian Grand Prix Discussion Thread

Post by CoopsII »

I think it's a sign of how many of us are feeling that this thread hasn't been started yet and it's the first time I've started one so apologies if it's too early. Mods, feel free to lock it if you want.

However, we need cheering up so even though it's not the same month lets fondly recall one of Taki Inoue's greatest moments at the Hungarian Grand Prix twenty years ago...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCXEhf1pYtw
Just For One Day...
DemocalypseNow

Re: Hungarian Grand Prix Discussion Thread

Post by DemocalypseNow »

I think for this particular community more than others, recent events have been more of a "distraction" from the upcoming race than anywhere else on the net, given Bianchi's relative importance to recent reject history (I would say Monaco 2014 is the best reject-related moment we've had since 2008 in Montreal). To us, that 9th place makes him a champion, and I think perhaps our feeling afterwards will linger for longer than most. After Senna's death, much of Brazil elected simply to tune out of F1 for years (my significant other included, who stopped watching from 1994 to 2000). It was simply such a shock to the system, because culturally that one driver was so important to that set of people. And perhaps we might experience a somewhat similar, but less extreme, reaction. Some who may be apprehensive to start talking about the racing in a normal fashion again.

Anyway, Hungary. My understanding is Red Bull have put all their eggs in this basket, so I do wonder if they will end up as the "runner up" to Mercedes, given Ferrari's development appears to have stalled, and the Williams isn't suited to the track configuration.

I will also be interested to see how McLaren do, if Honda's noises about running the ERS at full tilt come to fruition.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Things will get better, it will just take a little time.

Anyway I'm (masochistically) looking forward to McLaren getting some kind of better result this weekend. Seeing as this track has less power than most, their disadvantage is surely less than the usual poor catastrophic pace at other tracks. If they can get that car to finish the damn race, they could sneak in a decent qualifying and use the lack of overtaking opportunity to their advantage.

Please, McLaren. Improoove! Get a result. Any result!
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Biscione wrote:I think for this particular community more than others, recent events have been more of a "distraction" from the upcoming race than anywhere else on the net, given Bianchi's relative importance to recent reject history (I would say Monaco 2014 is the best reject-related moment we've had since 2008 in Montreal). To us, that 9th place makes him a champion, and I think perhaps our feeling afterwards will linger for longer than most. After Senna's death, much of Brazil elected simply to tune out of F1 for years (my significant other included, who stopped watching from 1994 to 2000). It was simply such a shock to the system, because culturally that one driver was so important to that set of people. And perhaps we might experience a somewhat similar, but less extreme, reaction. Some who may be apprehensive to start talking about the racing in a normal fashion again.

I don't want to diminish either the importance of Bianchi's life and death to this forum, but, truthfully, people around here have been slowly losing interest in F1 and in it's race weekends for some time now. Case in point is what happened with the Canadian GP thread which was opened on the Friday before the race weekend. People already didn't felt like discussing anything back then (maybe they went somewhere else to discuss it). Actually, if I recall correctly, this type of thread is usually opened on the Tuesday before the race so in terms of timing things went like usual (another thread which was opened later that this was the British GP one). What I don't contest is that Jules Bianchi's death may end up killing what is left of F1 interest among many forumites, prompting them to cut it off for good...

As for me, I am even less in the mood to watch the race than previously this season...
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

DanielPT wrote:
Biscione wrote:I think for this particular community more than others, recent events have been more of a "distraction" from the upcoming race than anywhere else on the net, given Bianchi's relative importance to recent reject history (I would say Monaco 2014 is the best reject-related moment we've had since 2008 in Montreal). To us, that 9th place makes him a champion, and I think perhaps our feeling afterwards will linger for longer than most. After Senna's death, much of Brazil elected simply to tune out of F1 for years (my significant other included, who stopped watching from 1994 to 2000). It was simply such a shock to the system, because culturally that one driver was so important to that set of people. And perhaps we might experience a somewhat similar, but less extreme, reaction. Some who may be apprehensive to start talking about the racing in a normal fashion again.

I don't want to diminish either the importance of Bianchi's life and death to this forum, but, truthfully, people around here have been slowly losing interest in F1 and in it's race weekends for some time now. Case in point is what happened with the Canadian GP thread which was opened on the Friday before the race weekend. People already didn't felt like discussing anything back then (maybe they went somewhere else to discuss it). Actually, if I recall correctly, this type of thread is usually opened on the Tuesday before the race so in terms of timing things went like usual (another thread which was opened later that this was the British GP one). What I don't contest is that Jules Bianchi's death may end up killing what is left of F1 interest among many forumites, prompting them to cut it off for good...

As for me, I am even less in the mood to watch the race than previously this season...

To be honest, I was in less of a mood to watch F1 at the time of Bianchi's accident, when it was very possible that he was not going to survive for anywhere near as long as he did. There is no doubt in my mind that the sport has become more bathplugged up since I started watching and that isn't rose-tinted glasses, I'm not about to say bring back refuelling or anything, but DRS to me is an idiotic device for people who think overtaking is the only thing that can make a race interesting. And the tyres... That's a tough one. I see people complain about Pirelli making tyres that are too fragile, only to throw them under the bus again when they bring a more conservative choice of compound to a race. From what I see you can't have too much of one or the other because, well, F1 fans are nearly impossible to please.

But at the end of the day F1 is still F1 and I'm still going to watch every race for as long as I have that option, no matter what happens, I care too much about the sport. There are certain aspects to the "show" I don't like, but this is still the fastest motorsport series in the world - yes, even with lifting and coasting - and some of my favourite drivers and teams in the world are competing in it. I don't think there's anything that can take that away from me. Yes, I was almost heartbroken when I heard the news that Jules had passed away, but... I don't know, the sport still means a great deal to me. There is no doubt though that I will be thinking of Jules for every minute of the Hungarian GP weekend. He was one of my favourite drivers and I was excited at the prospect of him driving for my favourite team in the near future, but sadly, what happened to Jules tends to happen in motorsport, thankfully less often than it used to, but no matter how safe it becomes, death is still sadly going to be a risk.

Sorry for rambling.
#FreeGonzo
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

What's the traffic like on the other more regular F1 forums? Come on, I know some of you slaaags use them despite the obvious populism found on there.
Just For One Day...
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

CoopsII wrote:I think it's a sign of how many of us are feeling that this thread hasn't been started yet and it's the first time I've started one so apologies if it's too early. Mods, feel free to lock it if you want.

However, we need cheering up so even though it's not the same month lets fondly recall one of Taki Inoue's greatest moments at the Hungarian Grand Prix twenty years ago...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCXEhf1pYtw

Really funny moment tempered by the sight of THAT McLaren in the background.
Mind you, we'll look back at the '15 McLaren with no doubt the same surge of pride!
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

DanielPT wrote:

To be fair. I don't talk about the race until after I finish watching it. It's what I do. So I assume a lot of people do it since a lot of things happen in 2 hours.

But anyway moving on. I am pumped for this race and hopefully some Pastor points.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

CoopsII wrote:What's the traffic like on the other more regular F1 forums? Come on, I know some of you slaaags use them despite the obvious populism found on there.

To paraphrase The Phantom Menace: "Weesa no like the other F1 forums. They think they so smarty"
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
lgaquino

Post by lgaquino »

that footwork reminds me so much of jake dennis' car in F3!
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Rob Dylan wrote:
CoopsII wrote:What's the traffic like on the other more regular F1 forums? Come on, I know some of you slaaags use them despite the obvious populism found on there.

To paraphrase The Phantom Menace: "Weesa no like the other F1 forums. They think they so smarty"

are we the Jar Jar Binks of the Motorsport forums???
Bobby Doorknobs

WeirdKerr wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote:

are we the Jar Jar Binks of the Motorsport forums???

Oh please no...
#FreeGonzo
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Wait, Leimer is doing FP1 this weekend?
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

My highlight of the session is the outside of turn 12 shattering Räikkönen's wing like a GP2 kerb.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Simtek wrote:
WeirdKerr wrote:are we the Jar Jar Binks of the Motorsport forums???

Oh please no...

That film was quite fittingly rejectful in many ways (which means we love it). I don't know how one classifies a movie as "Rejectful" however :D
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Rob Dylan wrote:That film was quite fittingly rejectful in many ways (which means we love it). I don't know how one classifies a movie as "Rejectful" however :D

I've always thought TPM was a good movie, not as good as the originals but I don't think it's as bad as many make out. The relatively Bink-less next one, TAOTC, I thought was the worst of the prequels with FX that seem to have aged quite badly and some great swathes of scenes which were just plain dull.
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote:That film was quite fittingly rejectful in many ways (which means we love it). I don't know how one classifies a movie as "Rejectful" however :D

I've always thought TPM was a good movie, not as good as the originals but I don't think it's as bad as many make out. The relatively Bink-less next one, TAOTC, I thought was the worst of the prequels with FX that seem to have aged quite badly and some great swathes of scenes which were just plain dull.

I also think that TAOTC is worse than TPM. While the latter has Jar-Jar, the first has Christensen's acting and that, for me, is far worse than an army of Jar-Jar's. Hell, the guy managed to totally ruin Darth Vader as a villain.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Bobby Doorknobs

Rob Dylan wrote:
Simtek wrote:
WeirdKerr wrote:are we the Jar Jar Binks of the Motorsport forums???

Oh please no...

That film was quite fittingly rejectful in many ways (which means we love it). I don't know how one classifies a movie as "Rejectful" however :D

I would consider movies like The Room, Birdemic, Manos, anything by Ed Wood etc. to be rejectful. They were all low-budget movies (except The Room, which allegedly had a $3 million budget :?), just as many reject teams were low-budget, and are in the 'so bad it's good' category. The Phantom Menace was a big-budget Hollywood production that ended up becoming one of the highest grossing movies of all time and just isn't bad enough to fit that category.
#FreeGonzo
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

I missed FP1 today but NBC had a blurb that Pirelli refused Lotus tyres? Properly rejectful if true.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

lgaquino wrote:that footwork reminds me so much of jake dennis' car in F3!

Given chronology, shouldn't it be that the Racing Steps Foundation's livery reminds you of the 1995 Foowork?
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
lgaquino

Post by lgaquino »

Backmarker wrote:
lgaquino wrote:that footwork reminds me so much of jake dennis' car in F3!

Given chronology, shouldn't it be that the Racing Steps Foundation's livery reminds you of the 1995 Foowork?

technically yes, obviously, but the footwork was posted first...
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Kvyat's been very fast in practice so far. He's really getting the better of Ricciardo now and I think he could pull off a top 6 finish tomorrow. [Danny promptly goes out in Q1 and spins into a gravel trap on lap 5]

Well it's official. Sauber won't score any points until 2017.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

good_Ralf wrote:Kvyat's been very fast in practice so far. He's really getting the better of Ricciardo now

Oh really? :P
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Nice stuff by Dan the Man
went

Post by went »

The image of Alonso pushing his car with his hands into the pits is a beautiful summary of McLaren's season that I doubt will be beaten in the remaining races.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Was it just me or was Q1 more exciting than Q2 and Q3 put together?
Just For One Day...
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

CoopsII wrote:Was it just me or was Q1 more exciting than Q2 and Q3 put together?

It's not you.
mario

Post by mario »

Aguaman wrote:
CoopsII wrote:Was it just me or was Q1 more exciting than Q2 and Q3 put together?

It's not you.

Whilst the Vettel-Ricciardo battle was interesting, ultimately it did feel a little flat as qualifying wore on.

I guess that part of it is the fact that the gaps between some teams and teammates became unusually large in the latter sessions - Hamilton utterly dominated Nico (though that was kind of expected given how Nico has been uncomfortable with the car the whole weekend), Kvyat is unusually slow compared to Ricciardo, Grosjean was miles ahead of Maldonado, Hulkenberg was similarly dominant over Perez and Massa wasn't able to improve quite as much as Bottas did.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

After Q2 Suzi Perry on the BBC commentary made the comment, "So it's a real game of tyre chess out there today". So that's my nomination for Reject of the Race...
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Rob Dylan wrote:After Q2 Suzi Perry on the BBC commentary made the comment, "So it's a real game of tyre chess out there today". So that's my nomination for Reject of the Race...

There are only two types of tyre. She should've said tyre go!
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Rob Dylan wrote:After Q2 Suzi Perry on the BBC commentary made the comment, "So it's a real game of tyre chess out there today". So that's my nomination for Reject of the Race...

Horner claimed that the soft tyres we're already getting quite worn in sector three, so I imagine that it will be a game of tyre chess, since there are reports that a 4 stop race might happen. If a team has the pace, and can make the tyres last, I wonder if Mercedes will have a fairly hard time here.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

Let's see if Ferrari is smarter than Williams.
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Hamilton outbreaks himself into a chicane and then tries to blame Rosberg. :facepalm:

idk, were Senna, Prost, Piquet, Mansell, Hunt, Lauda etc. this salty when they were in the car and we just didn't hear it?
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

3 years ago, that overtake would have taken out both Hamilton and Massa.
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

Ah, the Maldonado moment of the race!
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Henrique wrote:Let's see if Ferrari is smarter than Williams.

Smarter? Maybe.

Faster? Definitely. Unless things change on the medium tyre, Rosberg's too slow to be a threat to them and Hamilton isn't enough faster than them to make up the gap.

They could let Rosberg have a big undercut and probably still 1-2 if they don't have any incidents.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Sky's coverage has been atrocious so far. Missing pit stops, incidents, overtakes just to talk about Hamilton's chances again and again. :roll:

What dirt does Massa have on old Frank to have a seat at Williams next year?
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Yay, safety car.

That's undone 2/3rds of a good race for Ferrari anyway.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Hamilton confirmed for winning this race then. Fantastic. :|
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Enforcer wrote:Yay, safety car.

That's undone 2/3rds of a good race for Ferrari anyway.

Except everything is going wrong for Kimi. Well, almost everything.

EDIT: Isn't taking the SC and the whole field through the pit lane meant to be a bad idea? What if someone had to make a stop?
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.