ARWS '18 - Vote for ROTY!!

In honour of our fallen comrade. Archive of all previous canon series across all disciplines.
Ataxia
Not Important

Re: ARWS '18 - Macau LIVE

Post by Ataxia »

Marko Jantscher wrote:I have bookended my year with a pair of 5th places. Next year, I am confident Mr. Nurminen will acquire an optimal power supply and we can improve together. I made many mistakes this year. Next season I will eradicate any mistakes.

Diego Alvarez Torrente wrote:Not the way I wanted to leave ARWS! Martins was just stopped on the track and I couldn't avoid him. A massive thank you goes to Sammy for giving me a wonderful chance, and to Mark for helping me learn the ropes. Maybe I'll be back some day, but now I go to F1 with Precision for a new chapter.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Niko Nurminen wrote:YES! For once we were in the right position to benefit from attrition. Getting both cars home in points allows us to bookend our second season on a high note, and give us the funds needed for a better power supply which is our #1 priority for next year. I'm especially pleased about the maturity showed by Marko; although things went awry for him early on, he kept his head cool and drove to another well-deserved 5th place. Danny did a great job as well to bring the car home for an all-important points position. This is a result we can definitely build on in 2019.

And of course I'm overjoyed that my protégé Nick finished on podium today. This result should immensely help my job of finding him a good seat for next year. As for our own #2 seat, I can confirm that we are in talks with a number of drivers, but can't reveal anything yet at this early stage.

Finally, I'd like to invite the entire paddock to our end-of-the-season party. We don't have much in terms of food, but we'll make up for that in drinks!

Nick Nurmester wrote:YES! YES! YES! What a way to end the season! On the podium again, and not too far from winning the entire race either. If this doesn't convince the team owners that I'm a solid option for next year, then I don't know what will.

Now excuse me, I'll be heading to the NRE party for the free booze!
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Nick Nurmester wrote:YES! YES! YES! What a way to end the season! On the podium again, and not too far from winning the entire race either. If this doesn't convince the team owners that I'm a solid option for next year, then I don't know what will.

Now excuse me, I'll be heading to the NRE party for the free booze!

Bastiaan van Nieuwenhuijzen wrote:See you there buddy. I don't imagine my new team-mate will have such a refined taste in alcohol. Less Stoli, more Stella! Let's bow out in 'style' eh? :glasses:

Dan Greenlaw wrote:Most awesome, dudes. Just don't let Beano near the strong stuff though, else we're gonna suffer the unpleasant job of introducing him to the toilet bowl again. Oh yah, and someone needs to be a real bro and GPS track Terry, so he doesn't get lost in the streets at 3am like last time.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Autosport wrote:Jones: "A season of disappointment"

Following his team's sixth double retirement in 2018 at the final race of the year in Macau, Sammy Jones shared his thoughts on a trying year for his National Jones Ford ARWS team.

"It's been pretty sh*t, I'm not going to beat around the bush. I appreciate that most teams would be delighted to be in our position, fourth in the championship, lots of points and podiums. The reality is we had a three time world champion, a factory engine deal and a very good chassis. To add all of that up and come away with what we've had, well, it's nothing more than a season of disappointment."

Jones laid the blame for his team's troubles at the feet of star driver Mark Dagnall, and also at engine partner Ford.

"Mark knows how to win, he's not an idiot. His problem is a lack of focus and a lack of effort. He hasn't put the hard graft in, he's seen Kjellerup come along and immediately jumped ship. He f***ed this year up with those two race bans, and since then he just couldn't be bothered. As for Ford, we're stuck in year one of a three year deal lumbered with an engine miles away from most of the grid and yet we're still fourth in the championship. It's piss easy to plop a Renault in the back of an average chassis and plod around scooping up points. We deserve serious credit for getting where we are. Barring a miracle, I can guarantee we'll be the only Ford team on the grid again next season. It's not good enough."

Despite what he considers a poor year, Jones has optimism for 2019. In a new departure for his squad, he will employ two rookies in his team, in AR3.5 frontrunners Nathanael Cameron and Gary Pacer. It's been pointed out to Jones that neither of his previous two rookies have fared well in ARWS - Rosco Vantini has vanished into obscurity while Diego Alvarez Torrente has had a tough second year and switched to F1. Jones though is unperturbed:

"Nate and Gary have everything that we'll need for 2019. Both are young and hungry and eager to show what they can do. We're having to plough serious money into both the engine and chassis updates to just stand still, let alone go forwards. We need two drivers who are ready to grab the car by the scruff of the neck and give it everything, and that's what we've got. I seriously considered an experienced driver to partner Nate, I spoke with Nicolas, De Bock, and others but they're all jaded, they're spent and if they haven't got a quick car from the off they're not motivated enough. It would be like Mark this year all over again. We needed to do something different and bringing in the hottest young talent into the sport will really give the championship, and my team, a shot in the arm."
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
SuperAguri
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by SuperAguri »

Autosport wrote:Melville taken to hospital

After misjudging a corner at the Macau GP, which caused Melville to hit a corner, ripping a wheel off before spinning and crashing into a wall losing more wheels, Melville was extracted from the car, taken to the medical unit before being taken to a local hospital. A Kamaha spokesperson said "Daniel hit a corner quite hard and he span into a wall, thankfully the bits of the car did their job and took most of the impact, however he still banged himself quite badly in the car, he was unconscious straight after the crash but woke up in a daze in the medical centre and was taken to hospital as a precaution. He is expected to stay there for a few days, apart from a concussion he suffered a sprained wrist and some bruising and will have an xray later today to confirm this.". Safety in ARWS has improved over the years, although the tight twisty nature of Macau with it's unforgiving walls did cause a lot of retirements and there may be questions asked about its safety.

Heartbreak for Akira Yamamura
After a fantastic qualifying session in which both Kamaha cars qualified in the top five, however the race turned into a nightmare with Melville misjudging a corner and crashing quite hard on the second lap and ending up in hospital and Akira running well in 5th and looking likely that he would have added to the points until he told the team his oil light came on and was running slowly trying to get back to the pits before the back of his engine caught alight on lap 13. Barii Mori said "Akira and Daniel [Melville] qualified brilliantly in the wet, and I believe if the race was wet then Akira could have got another podium or even have won the race. During the race, Akira reported his oil pressure light came on, we could see the oil pressure was going down, so we told him to drop revs and get back to the pits to see if we could fix it. However the back of his car caught fire in the tricky Moorish hill bit and we told him to move to a safe location after the hairpin, however the drop at revs with the low oil pressure at the hairpin caused him to stall the car just after the hairpin but Pippa Mann did avoid smashing in the back of him. Daniel had a nasty accident but he should be out of the hospital in a few days.. Akira Yamamura has taken the Revolution chassis and has done well getting two podiums and a fourth place and has been signed for the 2019 season.

Kenan Ardalogu happy with 4th and slams Jones

After his first race in ARWS, Kenan was happy to leave with points with the Fusion team as a replacement for the suspended Terry Hawkin. Kenen said "I did not have much time in the car, I got a seat fitting and was thrown straight into qualifying and as the car is designed for Terry Hawkins driving style, I struggled to adapt as I have a very different driving style. However after a reasonable qualifying of 12th, I got up to 6th in a few laps and just kept pace, the car was tricky to handle and I was fighting the under steer but I kept my head and came 4th, which I was happy with.".

We asked him about the 2019 season and why he had signed with Venturi over Jones. Kenan said "I did have talks with Jones, but Jones failed to get back to me or my manager and I was annoyed that he signed my inferior rivals in ARWS 3.5 without a single word to me. MRT management also failed to get back to us. We had spoken to Fusion, which is why I was driving today but they had already signed their 2019 drivers. Venturi came to us with details on their new 2019 package and we were impressed so we ended up signing with them, Kamaha also approached me, however they could not guarantee a new chassis for 2019 so we ended up saying no to them. I look forward to working with Venturi Yamaha next season and we hope to get a number of podiums."

Keystone Cops could have done better

Shinobu Katayama showed her annoyance after she crashed out of the Macau GP after looking like getting a point or two during the race. She said "The team were not organised at times it felt like the Keystone Cops could have made a bit pit crew. First the refuelling system was under filling the car so I stopped three times with a short 8 lap stop, then the team cross thread one of the nuts on the tyres so I could feel it vibrate and had to come back to the pits to get it replaced, which stuck me in last behind a bloody mecha. However the tyre was smashing against the suspension and probably ended up damaging it and I ended up spinning around a corner and crashing out, the suspension was destroyed in the crash but I am sure it was due to suspension failure before the crash.", she was asked about the 2019 season, "I am still in talks with Venturi, I do feel they need an experienced race winning driver in the team to help them and Kenan Ardalogu with car development, so whether I am here as a driver or a reserve driver remains to be seen, but I am in talks with other teams and I hope to be here in 2019."

Alessandro Lucarelli heading to Kamaha?

With Alessandro Lucarelli leaving Venturi, there are a number of rumours of where he will go, Kamaha are one of the teams that he is linked with and we took the opportunity to ask Barii Mori about this, he said "It is true we are in talks to sign Alessandro Lucarelli as a partner to Akira Yamamura for the 2019 season, Lucarelli is a talented driver and has got a number of podiums and he will be a good team mate for Akira. Daniel Melville management is struggling to find sponsorship for the 2019 season and on talent alone we can not keep Daniel but if the Lucarelli deal falls through and Melville can find sponsorship then who knows?".
<@Ataxia> these people are making a mess of their crepe suzettes
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Autosport wrote:Jones labels Ardaoglu "a deluded primadonna"

After Kenan Ardaoglu blasted Sammy Jones for failing to see out negotiations over a potential ARWS drive, the Briton has hit back with a scathing criticism of the young German.

"Does anyone remember what I said last time I stood in front of you lot giving soundbites?" Jones told a group of reporters outside the team's Banbury base. "Kenan Ardaoglu is just the sort of deluded primadonna that I want absolutely nothing to do with. I said I wanted hungry young drivers, not petulant little sh*ts who've had their arses wiped from day one and haven't gone a day in their lives when they haven't been told their special. He needs to grow up and take his dick out of his hand."

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

ROTY voting starts!
Tread lightly in ARWS. Every decision might be your last.
Normal32

Re: ARWS '18 - Vote for ROTY!!

Post by Normal32 »

3. Nick Nurmester
2. Fusion
1. Tassie
Pasta_maldonado wrote:I think normal32 is an old English farmer re-incarnated
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

My ROTY voting:

3. Danny van Rijkens - 2018 was supposed to be the year Van Rijkens was supposed to break out and become a star in his own right, based on the form of 2017. Instead, he got comprehensively beat by rookie teammate Bastiaan van Nieuwenhuijzen in the early races, and by the time of Gauthier's surprise withdrawal from the ARWS, the South African was a shell of his former self. A change of scenery to NRE didn't help matters, and now his career is in severe danger of being cut short as a result.

2. Jari Kekkonen - The Finnish journeyman had already overstayed his welcome in 2017, so many were surprised that he got a call-up with new team Union Saver Developments for 2018. He proved the critics right by proceeding to absolutely stink up the joint before his inevitable sacking by the team. This made the decision of Rob Lomas to hire him all the more inexplicable, and predictably, he failed to improve during his stint there.

1. Tassie Racing - The Australian squad had lofty ambitions heading into 2018, making their intentions known early on by signing the promising lineup of Akira Yamamura and Tomo Kazama. However, even they couldn't make up for the questionable signing of the gutless Audi engines, and the even more questionable decision of a technical partnership with the struggling Gillet team as the team recorded one start in the first 8 races. Then the excrement really hit the fan when the Kazama sex scandal broke out leading to her walking out of the team, and then her replacement got benched by the Commission. By the time the paddock moved to Scandinavia, enveloped in scandal, the team was no more, a rather inglorious end to the team.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Well, my ROTY voting:

3. Thomas De Bock - The 2017 ARWS champion was expected to fight for the title again, but a combination of a poor Voeckler chassis combined with some trully awful driving by the belgian, which ranked him up two race bans, and eventually getting fired from Voeckler before the Macau GP. He might have beaten Greenlaw in the standings, but Greenlaw was the better Voeckler driver through the year, taking a victory when the chance came to him.

2. Driver Standards - ARWS/F1RWRS have never been known for good driving standards as a whole, but the 2018 season was probably the low point in driver standards in the series since its inception. During the entire season, 9 race bans were handed out to 7 different drivers, and we saw Greenlaw and Mestolio getting injured as well.

1. Peak Aeroracing Engineering - The change of manangement at Aeroracing, from former race driver Phoenix McAllister to the Peak group proved to be a disaster for Aeroracing. The team signed Ashley Watkinson and Renaldo Jimenez, both drivers failed to prove the world they diserved to be on hte grid. Jimenez lasted two races before he got fired and replaced by team's test driver Daniel Martins, while Watkinson lasted 8 rounds and 6 failures to qualify before he got replaced by Hansuke Shioya. Both drivers were a massive improvement over the first two drivers of the team, and eventually Martins was probably one of the best drivers of the year in late season, as he scored the team's first podium under Peak managament, and could've scored more points at Macau after an impressive performance in the wet during qualifying, and was running in 7th place before his car broke down.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

3) Alexey Buyvolov - Quite the fall from grace. Title contender last season, nine points this season. Okay, the Simpson isn't as complete a package as last year's Aeroracing, but Schiller managed to work some wonders in it.

2) David Neuberg - Sure, it's easy to prey on the weak, but let's drop in some context. Neuberg was once hyped as the next big thing, and although the Kingfisher-Great Wall package was essentially useless Neuberg could only beat his team-mate Quentin Reatherson twice in pre-qualifying. TWICE. Reatherson took the team's last race-start as well, whilst Neuberg spent his time moping.

1) Peak Aeroracing Engineering - So much worse than last season; they wouldn't have scored a thing if it wasn't for Brazil being a bathplug of epic proportions. Questionable driver decisions and an early season where they were mired in pre-qualifying contributed to their annus horribilis (which with my linguistic skills, apparently translates to "horrible anus").
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

3. Alexey Buyvolov

2. Aeroracing

1. Thomas De Bock

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

RejectSport wrote:AutoReject World Series 2018 Review - Part 1: The Baddest Dogs in the Yard

The 2018 AutoReject World Series season will be looked back upon as a watershed moment for the series in years to come. The upheaval was depicted most prominently by claiming many old names, including the departure of Holden Racing Team to F1, and the withdrawal of formerly successful teams Foxdale and ArrowTech. In their place, we got names such as Kjellerup, Venturi and Blokkmonsta hoping the fill the void for years to come.

The “new beginning” vibe surrounding the paddock continued to the on-track feuds, as we saw the decline of 2017 title contenders Voeckler GPE, Jones Racing and, most dramatically, the shambolic Peak Aeroracing outfit. The void left in their wake was filled by Fusion Motorsports and, eventually, Kjellerup as they fought it out for wins and podiums out front. With them were the resurgent Melrose Racing Team, fresh from a rebuilding phase spanning almost 2 full seasons, flying the flag for the old guard and arguably having the most complete package of all the teams on the field, earning them a well-deserved Constructors’ Championship.

On the driver front, 2018 brought upon everyone potentially the greatest crop of young talent ever assembled in any top-line motorsport paddock. Drivers in their debut season like Dan Greenlaw, Bastiaan van Nieuwenhuijzen and eventual champion Terry Hawkin all stepped up to the plate to take the majority of the victories. Throw in sophomore drivers Alberto Cara and Diego Alvarez Torrente and the future of the series in indeed very bright on the talent front.

Beyond the titanic title fight out front, there were a myriad of intertwining storylines up and down the field which all had their time in the headlines, from the continuing uncertainty over Holden’s future in the ARWS, to the shock retirement of 2017 champion Thomas de Bock, and to the sorry Tassie Racing saga. With all that in mind, RejectSport present their annual ARWS post-season review.

Dunlop Melrose Racing Team – BMW

2018 WCC Position – 1st (130 pts)
2018 WDC Position – 2nd (Alberto Cara – 64 pts), 3rd (Phillippe Nicolas – 61 pts), 17th (Dave Cassidy – 5 pts), 24th (Andrej Kremnicky, 1pt*)

MRT were arguably the most complete team heading into 2018, and many expected them to clean up both titles. While they did take home the constructers’ title, neither Alberto Cara or Phillippe Nicolas were able to clinch the drivers’ crown the team had so desperately coveted. MRT may have had the best overall package, but operationally, they didn’t have the same clinical execution that Kjellerup or to a lesser extent Fusion had, which translated into a number of mistakes at critical moments. While the package was generally reliable, a few failures did creep in, which especially affected Cara’s run to the title.

On the driver front, Cara proved to be a revelation for 80% of the season. Much maligned during his F2RWRS days for losing his head faster than others, he kept his remarkably screwed on until the final flyaway races where several glaring accidents blotted his copybook. His unrivalled raw pace was evident all season, and the young man has a huge future ahead of him in the team. In the other seat, Phillippe Nicolas was the most consistent driver for the first half of the season, but his campaign fell apart in the second half of the season with a number of high-profile accidents and mechanical failures. These foretold his eventual departure to Voeckler to once again establish his credentials as one of the top drivers in the AWRS.

Looking forward to 2019, MRT retains many of the key ingredients that took them to the title in 2018. Cara and the strong BMW engines remain, and the team managed to snare the highly-impressive Italian Salvatore Miccoli from DGNgineering in Formula One to replace the departing Nicolas. The only question mark that remains is what chassis will the team use in 2019. While the same basic design philosophy being used since 2016 achieved great success, many expect the team to go with an all-new platform for 2019.

2018 Rating: 8.5/10
2019 WCC Prediction: 3rd

Coca-Cola Fusion Infiniti
2018 WCC Position – 2nd (115 pts)
2018 WDC Position – 1st (Terry Hawkin – 76 pts), 6th (Fredo Mestolio – 26 pts), 14th (Tomo Kazama – 10 pts*), 20th (Kenan Ardaoglu, 5pts), 46th (Nathanael Spencer, 0 pts)

Many expected big things from Terry Hawkin and Fusion Motorsport in 2018. However, nobody could have predicted that they would have walked away with the ARWS Drivers’ championship come November, especially against the likes of MRT, Voeckler and Jones. But that’s exactly what they did, as Hawkin proved why he was the hottest rookie in the series by taking advantage of the potent Fusion-Infiniti package at his disposal. 6 wins, 7 poles and 8 fastest laps for the young Brit underlined just how much potential the 20-year-old has, and a sign of things to come.

The second seat was the clear weak link in the entire operation, as the team was unable to find someone who came close to matching Hawkin. Fredo Mestolio had almost metronomic consistency in the car, but one podium from twelve races was a poor return on the team’s investment. Once he was sidelined with his season-ending accident, Kamaza proved to be no better, and worryingly had none of the consistency of the more experienced Italian. While she does have a contract for 2019, there’s little reason for the team to honour it based on her form.

Like MRT, consistency has been the key for Fusion’s on-track elements for 2019, with the car planned to be an evolution of the 2018 machine. The off-track management upheaval however has already proven to be a headache with a range of contracts needing to be renegotiated before the new season begins. While the ingredients are all there, it remains to be seen whether the chefs in charge can go back-to-back for next year.

2018 Rating: 8/10
2019 WCC Prediction: 2nd

Kjellerup by Écurie Prenois
2018 WCC Position: 3rd (80 pts)
2018 WDC Position: 4th (Bastiaan van Nieuwenhuijzen, 59 pts), 10th (Nick Nurmester, 20 pts), 13th (Alessandro Lucarelli, 13 pts*)

The 2018 season was a tale of two halves for Kjellerup. The first half was punctuated by the occasional points finish as they battled the likes of Gauthier and Simpson for midfield supremacy. While both Alessandro Lucarelli and Nick Nurmester both had excellent pedigrees in the junior categories, it felt that both were in a holding pattern waiting for better opportunities. That all changed at the Austrian Grand Prix when Lucarelli was sent to fellow newcomers Venturi. In his place came Gauthier refugee Bastiaan van Nieuwenhuijzen, but more importantly, he brought along many of the ex-Gauthier engineering and technical staff, who had all seen the writing on the wall at the French squad.

Bastiaan and the team went on to win 3 of the next 5 races, and quickly established themselves as one to watch in 2019. Every development they put on the car served to improve it, as they progressed in leaps and bounds to have a huge say in who won the 2018 titles, riding on the coattails of a highly-motivated Nieuwenhuijzen. Nurmester was unable to follow suit however, as he was totally outclassed by the fellow rookie, and found himself as a persona-non-grata by the end of the season.

In his place, Kjellerup was quick to pounce on the free agent Mark Dagnall to partner ‘Basti’ for 2019. While the three-time champion is undoubtedly one of the best drivers in the world, he also brings a reputation of being both a mercenary and arguably a primadonna. While teams have been willing to tolerate him as long as the results are there, it remains to be seen the effect he’ll have on the no-nonsense Kjellerup mode of operation. Regardless of what happens however, the team will start as clear favourites for both 2019 championships.

2018 Rating: 9/10
2019 WCC Prediction: 1st

National Jones Ford Team
2018 WCC Position: 4th (62 pts)
2018 WDC Position: 5th (Mark Dagnall, 38 pts), 8th (Diego Alvarez Torrente, 24 pts), 43rd (Quentin Reatherson, 0 pts*), 44th (Sammy Jones, 0 pts)

Jones Racing went radical with their car design in 2018, and on the surface it seemed to have backfired, as the team scored 39 fewer points and made five fewer trips to victory lane than 2017. We’d never know for sure however, because Detroit’s finest managed to come up with a lump of an engine to put in the back of it, hamstringing any potential the team had. Any success the team’s main drivers Mark Dagnall and Diego Alvarez Torrente had in 2018 was in spite of the package at their disposal, not because of it.

Once it became apparent that the team was not going to be title contenders, Dagnall made his way to the exits, scoring himself a contract with the up and coming Kjellerup squad for 2019, much to the chagrin of outspoken owner Sammy Jones. Torrente’s driving was also affected for the worse, as it was clear that he wasn’t driving to the same level that took him to two victories in 2017. Eventually, it all became too much as the Spaniard took the first opportunity to find a new home in 2019, signing a big money deal with Jeroen Krautmeir’s F1 operation, Precision Motorsport.

To replace them, Jones went for the full youth approach, signing AR3.5 champion Nathanael Cameron and one of his main rivals Gary Pacer to drive the blue and green cars after several snubbings from more experienced drivers. While both have considerable talent behind the wheel of a racing car, it would be an arduous task for both of them to lead the team through the rebuilding phase that has been thrust upon them. If the structural deficiencies of the Ford powerplant are as bad as some fear, it could be a long road to recovery for one of the longest-running squads in the ARWS.

2018 Rating: 6/10
2019 WCC Prediction: 5th

DScity Voeckler Renault
2018 WCC Position: 5th (48 pts)
2018 WDC Position: 7th (Thomas de Bock, 25 pts), 9th (Dan Greenlaw, 20 pts), 19th (Pippa Mann, 3 pts)

The alarm bells at Voeckler were already ringing by the end of pre-season testing, and only got louder as the early season races came and went. The Renault engine in the back of the car was more than enough to do the job, but the chassis it was bolted to was both slow and difficult to drive. The end result was a sole win for Dan Greenlaw in the rain at Austria and bringing a premature end to reigning champion Thomas de Bock’s ARWS career.

The public feud between the team and their star driver dominated the headlines in 2018, and only served to fuel de Bock’s largely apathetic driving on track. Rookie Greenlaw meanwhile tried to make the most of the situation, but the American was beset by bad luck on many occasions. Even supersub Pippa Mann was unable to make anything out of the equipment at her disposal on the occasions she was called up to fill for the main drivers.

Voeckler were quick to make sweeping changes, with several high-profile technical staff already being relieved of their posts in the wake of the 2018 disaster. On the driver front, Voeckler brought in MRT’s Phillippe Nicolas as replacement for De Bock alongside Greenlaw, who is hungry to finally win the title after years of trying. Whether he will achieve that or not however will rest largely on the quality of Voeckler’s 2019 car, which remains to be seen.

2018 Rating: 5.5/10
2019 WCC Prediction: 4th

Simpson Motorsports Yamaha
2018 WCC Position: 6th (26 pts)
2018 WDC Position: 11th (Jean-Luc Schiller, 17 pts), 15th (Alexey Buyvolov, 9 pts)

Simpson Motorsport started the 2018 season with the shock news that Dacia and parent company Renault had pulled their backing from the squad in favour of upstarts Kjellerup and Fusion Motorsport. Having spent the off-season designing the 2018 car around the Renault, they instead hurriedly shoved a Yamaha motor in the back of it and essentially hoped for the best. In that context, Simpson did a remarkable job by running in the upper-midfield all year, usually being the team to pick up the pieces when those ahead faltered.

This was helped by Jean-Luc Schiller being a very effective team leader for the squad. The Swiss driver had developed a reputation of being able to pick up results during his time at MRT, and he continued this trend at Simpson, with highlights including a podium at the season-opener in Adelaide on his way to 7 points positions in 2018. The highly-rated Alexey Buyvolov proved to be a disappointment in the other car however. After coming heart-breakingly close to winning the 2017 title, the Russian spent much of 2018 being withdrawn and disinterested in his driving, which showed on the patchy results sheet.

Despite all that however, Dave Simpson has made clear his top priority is to keep both drivers for 2019 and potentially beyond. There’s no shortage of suitors available to Simpson however, as being one of the most popular members of the paddock has meant many drivers are interested in joining the underdog Australian squad. The team has shown over the last two seasons that they’ve made the jump to the top of a highly-competitive midfield, and now are just one big break away from joining the big-time up front. Whether that will come next year remains to be seen however.

2018 Rating: 7.5/10
2019 WCC Prediction: 7th

Last edited by TomWazzleshaw on 14 Sep 2016, 04:23, edited 3 times in total.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

Nicholas Steele wrote:Well, the hopes of snatching a point this year have gone to naught, but at least I gave it a good try. Pascal may have had a point on the chassis not being as developed as the other teams, and Blokkmonsta needs to learn from that mistake.

With this I leave for Formula E, as RUF saw interest in seeing me compete there, and I hope to use it as a measuring stick against some of the best drivers in all of motorsport. I do seek to return to ARWS in the future, be it in the drivers seat or a test role, though I will thank Blokkmonsta for clearing up the bad blood between us with this final stint.

Andrea Schnass wrote:So the 2018 season is over, and we have much to learn for next season. Wouter needs to be more consistent, while we hope to sharpen the skills of McFry, since he too seemed pretty erratic this season. Car development is also an issue, mainly due to paltry funding.

However, we have a healthy amount of funds to prepare for 2019 even though we could not snatch the AR 3.5 title from under everyone's nose. One thing's for sure: We're not gonna expect an easy climb up from the bottom of the field, since we learned that from the demise of Tassie. Hopefully we can join the other freshman teams on the board next season!
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Autosport wrote:Rob Lomas Racing sign Plaza, talking to various engine manufactures
Rob Lomas anounced today that the Mexican, Jesus Plaza was to race for the team for the 2019 season as well as more information as to which engines would be powering his team next season.
To read more, please sign up for Autosport Plus
Last edited by roblo97 on 09 Sep 2016, 19:02, edited 1 time in total.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

RejectSport wrote:AutoReject World Series 2018 Review - Part 2: Knocking on the Door

Kamaha Revolution Motorsports - Yamaha
2018 WCC Position – 7th (13 pts)
2018 WDC Position – 12th (Akira Yamamura – 13 pts*), 33rd (Daniel Melville – 0 pts), 37th (Barii Mori – 0 pts), 42nd (Rosco Vantini, 0 pts)

For several years now, the once proud Kamaha team had been the laughing stock of the ARWS, and the first half of this year was no exception. Having a washed-up Rosco Vantini to lead the team was a puzzling choice to most, and Daniel Melville in the other car had never been one of the most-highly rated drivers. Coupled with what was essentially an updated 2017 car, and the writing was well and truly on the wall for the team as they went scoreless for the entire first half of the year.

That all changed however when Japanese rookie Akira Yamamura was brought in along with a brand new B-Spec car. The Tassie refugee reveled in the new environment, and managed to score two podiums for the team by the end of the year. Yamamura’s impressive performances also acted to motivate Melville in the other car, as the Australian put in several impressive qualifying efforts in the second half of the year. However, multiple technical gremlins with the new car prevented Melville from breaking his pointless streak by the end of the season.

The team enters 2019 with hot form and renewed faith from engine supplier Yamaha, and look likely to continue the success into next season. The team were quick to show faith in Yamamura by signing the young charger to a full-time deal early on in proceedings, and while the team is yet to secure a second driver for next year, the team’s new-found successes has opened many options previously unavailable to them. With a promising chassis and engine package to build upon, there’s nothing to suggest that the team won’t add to their tally of podiums next season.

2018 Rating: 6.5/10
2019 WCC Prediction: 7th

Venturi Formula - Yamaha
2018 WCC Position – 8th (7 pts)
2018 WDC Position – 13th (Alessandro Lucarelli – 12 pts*), 22nd (Shinobu Katayama – 2 pts), 30th (Jean-Vincent Albertini – 0 pts)

Venturi Formula weren’t on the ARWS grid until mid-January after the last-minute withdrawal of Sunshine Racing and the decision by the Commonwealth Group to focus on their highly successful Formula One program. In that regard, the team acquitted themselves well by striking up a technical partnership with Voeckler GPE and acquiring customer Yamaha engines. The team also did well on the driver front, signing experienced campaigners Jean-Vincent Albertini and Shinobu Katayama to spearhead the team for 2018.

However, neither of them were to score the team’s biggest result of the season. That fell upon Alessandro Lucarelli, who was brought into the team after losing his seat at Kjellerup to Dutchman Bastiaan van Nieuwenhuijzen. The Italian scored a scarcely believable third place for the team in Germany, and was rather unlucky to add more to the tally. Katayama in the other car scored more points in her home race in Japan, which helped the team finish a respectable 8th in their first season of competition.

Despite that however, none of their 2018 drivers will be retained for the upcoming season. Venturi scored a minor coup signing the highly-experienced Fredo Mestolio to lead the team into 2019, and alongside him have added AR3.5 front-runner Kenan Ardaoglu. Ardaoglu has already proven extremely difficult to deal with in the paddock, and doubts over him and his value only increased with an underwhelming debut as a supersub for Fusion at Macau. With question marks hanging over the squad, Venturi cannot let any issues take hold before they derail the impressive progress made so far.

2019 WCC Prediction: 8th

Nurminen Grand Prix - Holden
2018 WCC Position – 9th (7 pts)
2018 WDC Position – 18th (Marko Jantscher – 4 pts), 21st (Danny van Rijkens – 3 pts*), 31st (Martin McFry – 0 pts)

One got the impression from Nurminen that they were going in circles for most of 2018 as they seemed lost trying to overcome the deficiencies of the car. The team showed flashes of form during the year, such as Marko Jantscher scoring points on his full-time debut at Adelaide, but for the most part they were stranded in the midfield while being unable to break into meaningful results unless other cars fell off the road before them.

This wouldn’t have been that big an issue if it wasn’t for the fact it was normally their cars and drivers falling off the road. Reliability was never the strong suit of the team, but it wasn’t helped by Jantscher testing the team’s patience through multiple accidents, and McFry breaking it altogether by the middle of the season. Drafting in the demoralised Danny van Rijkens failed to improve matters apart from a few somewhat fluky points finishes to close the season.

As a result, the team has opted for a radical range of changes for 2019. Van Rijkens has been given his marching orders and the team is rumoured to be in talks with BMW over a potential engine supply deal in place of the lethargic Holden powerplants. Rumours of a radically new chassis have also done the rounds as the team aims to build their future around the mercurial Jantscher. While the long-term plans for the team are fundamentally solid, finding the budget to put the plans in place might prove to be a hindrance, with the recent loss of a few secondary sponsors brought in by McFry and Jantscher having few personal backers of his own.

2018 Rating: 5.5/10
2019 WCC Prediction: 9th

Equipe Gauthier – Pure Hart
2018 WCC Position – 10th (6 pts)
2018 WDC Position – 4th (Bastiaan van Nieuwenhuijzen – 49 pts*), 21st (Danny van Rijkens – 3 pts*)

Everyone was expecting big things out of Guillaume Gauthier’s squad for 2018, and the predictions seemed to have fulfilled when Bastiaan van Nieuwenhuijzen scored a podium for the team on his ARWS debut in Adelaide. More points quickly followed at Monza, but from there the going got much tougher. Being stuck in a logjam with Kjellerup and Simpson for much of the first half the season proved difficult to overcome, and the team were unable to add to their tally of 6 points, much of which was fuelled by Danny van Rijkens’ apathetic driving in the lead car.

Behind the scenes and all was not well with the team. Gauthier had been one of the most outspoken critics of the ARWS Commission’s running of the series, and by mid-season, the issues had reached a boiling point. When the team arrived with a skeleton crew at Austria, many thought the team had financially collapsed without warning. However, it soon became apparent that Gauthier had voluntarily withdrawn from the series in protest against the Commission.

The shock decision mad ripples throughout the paddock with a flood of engineering and management talent now on the market. Many, including van Nieuwenhuijzen, ended up at Kjellerup, becoming the catalyst of a surge towards the front by the Franco-Scandinavian squad, while a number also ended up at teams such as Venturi, Mecha and USD. It brought about a sad end to what had been one of the most promising teams in the paddock, and the withdrawal of Guillaume from the paddock, who had been considered one of the series’ most influential and respected ambassadors to this point.

2018 Rating: 5/10

Peak Aeroracing Engineering – Audi
2018 WCC Position – 11th (5 pts)
2018 WDC Position – 16th (Daniel Martins – 5 pts), 28th (Hansuke Shioya – 0 pts*), 36th (Ashley Watkinson, 0 pts*), 47th (Renaldo Jimenez, 0 pts)

By any conceivable performance metric, 2018 was an absolute disaster from the Aeroracing squad. After a last-minute buyout by the New Zealand-based Peak group, the new owners proceeded to grossly mismanage the squad by continually making questionable decisions throughout the year. Signing the has-been Ashley Watkinson and the never-was Renaldo Jimenez was just the tip of the iceberg, and coupled with the short-on-power Audi engines, the team found themselves in pre-qualifying in short order.

Replacing the pair with test driver Daniel Martins and Hansuke Shioya failed to improve matters, and even when several teams collapsed mid-season, only a miracle podium at Sao Paulo saved the team from scoring a big 0 next to their name. While the two new drivers generally managed to keep it on the road, persistent unreliability with the package continued to let them down, as development was almost non-existent on the technical side of the team. Rumours that main sponsor KPMG had refused to pay many of their sponsorship payments added further doom and gloom to the situation.

While steps have been taken over the off-season to rectify the situation, it is still expected to be a long road ahead of the former championship contenders. Martins has been retained as lead driver, while noted Swiss driver Gregor Pascal has been brought to the team. The journeyman paydriver’s considerable backing from Adecco would be a welcome boost to the financially strapped squad, and could potentially be the precursor of a larger partnership with former championship rivals MRT. However, no single move will be the silver bullet for the team, as a long and painful rebuilding phase awaits them.

2018 Rating: 2/10
2019 WCC Prediction: 14th

Union Saver Developments – Daihatsu
2018 WCC Position – 12th (2 pts)
2018 WDC Position – 23rd (Naoki Shinjo – 2 pts), 34th (Marco Bizzarri – 0 pts*), 35th (Ashley Watkinson, 0 pts*), 41st (Jari Kekkonen, 0 pts*)

Unlike many of the other teams in the ARWS, Union Saver Developments have little open-wheeler experience to draw on, having made their name in International GT and Endurance Racing over the years. This didn’t deter them however as they developed a conservative, no-nonsense car and managed to leverage their considerable experience working with manufacturers to score a works Daihatsu deal after their own factory team was withdrawn at the end of 2017. Signing Finnish journeyman Jari Kekkonen was a continuation of the trend, but pairing him up with the relatively unknown Japanese rookie Naoki Shinjo was widely questioned by considerable wisdom.

The signing proved to be a masterstroke however, as the supportive team environment allowed Shinjo to flourish. The no-fear attitude that took him to considerable success in his native homeland translated well to the KS-01, and by the end of the season, some felt he deserved more than the two points he ended up scoring. This didn’t extend to the second car however, as both Jari Kekkonen and his replacement Marco Bizzarri got roundly trounced by the rapid Japanese cult figure, as their continually abject showings largely worked to waste the potential the package had in the hands of Shinjo.

Both of them have since had forced departures from the team, as the Austrian squad have put all their eggs in the Shinjo basket. With the right nurturing, the rough diamond could turn into a very good all-round package, and the seeds at USD have already been sown to achieve that. The car and the Daihatsu package has pace that has yet to be fully exploited, and hiring a second driver with the same hunger and promise as Shinjo will go a long way to achieving that. Should USD succeed in finding such a driver, the sky could very well be the limit for them come 2020.

2019 WCC Prediction: 10th

Revolution Engineering – Pure Hart

2018 WCC Position – 14th (1 pts)
2018 WDC Position – 24th (Andrej Kremnicky, 1 pt*), 34th (Marco Bizzarri, 0 pts)

Several seasons from now, many will look at Revolution’s history and eventual demise as a classic “what could have been” story. After several years of slowly building their way through the field, the team finally found a driver in the form of Andrej Kremnicky to gravitate around. Complete with Marco Bizzarri playing a supporting role with his Lavazza backing and a technical partnership with Kamaha, fortunes for the small Japanese squad had been looking up for a few seasons now. The upbeat vibe around the team was soundly crushed by the decision by team owner Hagane Shizuka to withdraw at the end of the 2018 season.

Knowing they were potentially driving to save their career, Kremnicky and Bizzarri responded the best they could to the situation. Combining genuine pace and a newfound maturity, the pair of them put in several notable performances, with the former scoring what proved to be the team’s final point around the streets of Marrakesh. By the British round at Brands Hatch however, the team was no more, and what useful assets were available were sold to the Kamaha squad, contributing to their upturn in form in the second half of the year. Of the drivers, Bizzarri moved on to USD to fill in for the sacked Kekkonen, while Kremnicky’s performances earned him an audition with championship contenders MRT, which he proceeded to throw away in spectacular fashion.

With the benefit of hindsight, former F1RWRS race winner and all-round nice guy Hagane Shizuka was never cut out to be an ARWS team-owner. While many of his contemporaries considered him one of the greatest development drivers the series had seen, his quiet and methodical nature didn’t translate to team ownership, as he found himself out of his depth in the ruthless dog-eat-dog world of ARWS team management. Even so, many still considered him a generally competent manager, which makes one wistfully wonder what the team could have potentially achieved with a more ambitious outlook.

Rosenforth Engineering – Holden
2018 WCC Position – 15th (1 pts)
2018 WDC Position – 25th (Gregor Pascal, 1 pt*), 35th (Carter Simpson, 0 pts)

Holden Racing Team ended their tenure in the then F1RWRS as a below-average works team that was at war with the Commission. In a fit of frustration, the Zimmers sold out to Jimmy Rosenforth, packed their bags and headed 600 miles north to Paris to join Formula One. In their place, Rosenforth Engineering ended up being a below-average customer team that was still at war with the Commission. Speculation was rife around the team from the start, and premonitions about the team being in financial strife proved true, with the team being no more by the end of the European season.

Given the circumstances, drivers Gregor Pascal and Carter Simpson both did adequate jobs, as both kept their noses clean and brought the cars to the finish more often than not when they made the grid. While Simpson was generally regarded the faster of the two, Pascal was the one who scored the team’s sole point, with a gritty drive to 6th place at the season opener in Adelaide. Even that wasn’t enough to keep the team afloat however, as eventually Pascal departed for greener pastures, taking his Adecco backing to midfield rivals Blokkmonsta. The team collapsed shortly thereafter, taking Simpson with them.

The season was a microcosm of the issues surrounding the team as a whole, as they were average to below-average in all departments. While Alberto Cara provided some much-needed dynamism in 2017, there was no hiding the fact the new Holden engine was just as average as the last generation, and the car was decisively average. The general malaise surrounding the team proved to be its downfall, as they were unable to get out of the rut the team had been in since 2015 until it was too late. Regardless of the causes however, it will be a sombre day for the ARWS paddock when the Holden name disappears from the grid altogether, which currently lives on in customer engine deals elsewhere.

2018 Rating: 4.5/10
Last edited by TomWazzleshaw on 14 Sep 2016, 04:29, edited 2 times in total.
SuperAguri
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by SuperAguri »

Autosport wrote:Nick Nurmester off to Kamaha

After rumours that Kamaha were chasing Alessandro Lucarelli, Kamaha have announced that former Kjellrup driver Nick Nurmester will fill the second seat at Kamaha next to Akira Yamamura, Barii Mori said, "Nick Nurmester did race for us back when we had an F3RWRS team and he did score a point, we did withdraw from F3RWRS and we kept an eye on his career since then seeing him win and become runner up in junior championships, beating Terry Hawkin back in 2017. We are proud to bring him to the ARWS team, with new sponsorship and a new technical package coming, we believe that Nick and Akira will allow us to move up the grid and bring us wins again. Daniel Melville has been offered the reserve driver role but we are helping him look for another team.".

Nick Nurmester said "Kamaha have certainly struggled in the past few years, but they seem to have gained a massive upward momentum lately and I want to be part of that. They helped me restart my F3RWRS career three years ago, and I have the utmost confidence that our renewed partnership will be fruitful.".

We do believe the Anglo Nippon team have struggled in recent years but this new driver line up and momentum should help them challenge the big boys.
SeedStriker

Post by SeedStriker »

RejectSpórt wrote
Building up for Tomorrow

After it's baptize on the ARWS, Union Saver Developments chief, Karl Lichter Shultz, made an analysis of the season.
"We always knew that the way was going to be upstairs, but we end this season satisfied that, at least, part of the work was done. We've always had faith on Naoki Shinjo's talent. Since his early days on SANDWICH and his heroics with lesser machinery on F3, he's a man hungry for victories and glory. USD gave him a machine that would allow him to grow steadly, and we plan to continue the trend for 2019".

When asked for his plans next season, especially for the second USD seat, Shultz was more cautious. "We're still setting out things. On one side, we would like Ashley Watkinson to continue his great work as tester for the team. On the other, the driver's market is still on. Since mid season we had contact with Alessandro Lucarelli to drive the car, although he eventually went to Venturi. Shinobu Katayama is another good option, which would please Daihatsu's engineers with the further development of the engines. We'll see"
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

La Gazzetta Dello Sport wrote:Lucarelli lands Nurminen GP drive for 2019

In a career that resembles a game of musical chairs, Alessandro Lucarelli has signed a one year deal with Finnish Nurminen GP team, making them his fourth employer in less than two years.

The journeyman pilot from Parma has departed the Venturi squad with which he scored his first AWRS podium last season in favour of a fresh start with NRE, who are without an engine supplier for next season and in need of cash.

The Finnish team elected not to renew their relationship with South African pay-driver Danny van Rijkens, after a string of underwhelming performances, but were left with a gap to fill in their budget with the loss of his Sasol sponsorship. The acquisition of Lucarelli is a prudent one, given his backing from dairy firm Parmalat.

"NRE was definitely the best option out there for me," explained Lucarelli. "At first I wasn't really sure, but after visiting the factory in Heidelberg, and speaking to Mr Nurminen, I know this is the best place to be in the long term."

"We had a very good discussion, understanding their plans in the coming seasons, and I'm convinced this is a team on the up, even as soon as next season. It made perfect sense to come here."

The Italian was reportedly a top target for rival teams including Kamaha and USD, but insisted that despite the former's strong end to the season, that he had still picked the best team on offer for next year.

"There were discussions with other teams, yes, but NRE had a vision that impressed me. I think they are on a good path, one that is going to lead to good results in future. I think their pace next year will surprise a lot of people."

Image Image
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

New Team To Enter ARWS

A New team has been granted a entry for the 2019 ARWS season. Eric Vincent Racing based at the former RAF Lyneham in Wiltshire will become the latest team to join the ARWS fold. The team will compete with a chassis designated Vixen FA.2, although have not confirmed whether the chassis will be a new build or acquired from another team. No further details were released by the team but are team are believed to be on the lookout for some experienced drivers to join the team, one at least will be required to provide a budget for the team. A spokeman for the team says " We still have a lot to do"
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

RejectSport wrote:AutoReject World Series 2018 Review - Part 3: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Team Mecha Racing – Pure Hart
2018 WCC Position – 13th (1 pt)
2018 WDC Position – 26th (John Bean – 1 pt), 27th (Jesus Plaza – 0 pts), 48th (Kazuki Fushida – 0 pts)

It's plain for all to see that Mahmud Effendi clearly has no idea what he is doing. Yet through a combination of grit, fiscal responsibility and sheer dumb luck, Mecha had on paper their best season in history in 2018. While drivers John Bean and Jesus Plaza managed to drag the team to the dizzying heights of 13th in the WCC, a significant pinch of salt needs to be taken to put this result into context. Reliability-wise, the team had improved greatly since 2017, but their pace and general team dynamic has remained largely static as it has done for the last 18 months.

The team made the mind-boggling decision to go with 57-year-old Japanese cult hero Kazuki Fushida, alongside the reigning Formula 5000 champion John Bean, and early on it seemed that the team were destined to finish firmly at the bottom of the ARWS standings. By mid-May however, Fushida was gone, and in his place came the returning Jesus Plaza, who ended up being the hero Mecha needed. The Mexican veteran largely outclassed teammate Bean by scoring several important milestones and results for Mecha, but it was the unfancied Brit who scored an incredible first point for the Indonesian squad amongst the chaos in Argentina. Despite that however, it can be argued that much of their success could be down to the mass exodus of midfield teams during the middle of the season.

And it was also the Brit that got a long-term renewal of his ARWS contract with Plaza being kicked to the kerb at the end of the year. In his place, the team signed AR3.5 journeyman Nino Barlini, whose junior series record is at best patchy, after allegedly turning down former ARWS race winner and four-time Formula One World Champion Daniel Melrose for a one-off driver earlier in the season. It would be largely a waste of time to question the logic behind the latest Mecha signing, because baffling decisions has been the modus operandi of the team since the start. To their credit however, they have survived since 2014 where others haven’t, so there might just be some method to the madness for some time to come.

2018 Rating: 4/10
2019 WCC Prediction: 16th

RUF Blokkmonsta Grand Prix Team – Holden
2018 WCC Position – 16th (0 pts)
2018 WDC Position – 25th (Gregor Pascal – 1 pt*), 29th (Wouter Lamberigts – 0 pts), 39th (Nicolas Steele - 0 pts)

Blokkmonsta were one of the most high-profile new entrants for the 2018 season, in no small part due to outgoing team boss Andrea Schnass. Even his frankness and odd charm with the media couldn’t hide the fact that the team underperformed however. They made their intentions known from day one that they weren’t here to play by signing American star Nicholas Steele and Belgian qualifying ace Wouter Lamberigts, both known quantities in the ARWS. Coupled with a solid technical package, many expected that they would be in the points before the season was out.

While they were regular qualifiers throughout the year, more often than not, it all fell apart on race day. Lamberigts was hit by unreliability harder than most over the course of the year, and Steele became more and more disillusioned by the lack of success with every passing race. Schnass then made the decision to bring in Gregor Pascal in place of the American. While he was closer to the Belgian than Nicolas was, there was still worryingly little progress from either driver or the team to get a full understanding of the car. By the end of the year, the team had run out of options, opted to put Steele back in the car and ended the year in arguably a worse position than where they started.

The future does look more optimistic however, as the team have doubled-down on qualifying prowess by hiring noted qualifying specialist Martin McFry alongside Lamberigts for next year. They’ve also made none-too-subtle overtures about ditching the Holden powerplants, one of the key areas the team struggled in all season, although the current contract they have with the Australian manufacturer may preclude that option from them. Whatever the case may be however, the signs are all there that the team can improve on their position for next year.

2018 Rating: 5/10
2019 WCC Prediction: 11th

Gillet Ecurie Nationale Belge

2018 WCC Position – 17th (0 pts)
2018 WDC Position – 32nd (Shane Walsh– 0 pts), 40th (Aurelien Moll – 0 pts)

Tony Gillet has always been a fiercely nationalistic individual, which made the signing of American F2RWRS driver Shane Walsh alongside perennial Gillet driver Aurelien Moll all the more surprising. The decision proved to be a masterstroke, as Walsh managed to transcend the equipment he was given all year, as evidenced by the 50-15 thrashing he gave the Belgian veteran in the Pre-Qualifying cup. Not that it mattered much as the car they were given wasn’t going to achieve much in a month of a Sundays, even if it had a lineup of Bastiaan van Nieuwenhuijzen and Terry Hawkin.

While Walsh was fast if accident-prone in one car, Moll continued to be a shattered, uncompetitive shell of his former self. The F1RWRS race winner and 2013 runner-up has fallen a long way since the heady days of 2011-2014, and hasn’t come close to recapturing that form since. The fall from grace was finally complete last year when he was benched altogether, but he was given a final reprieve this year to see if he could return to his former self. The answer turned out to be an emphatic no, and it could spell the last we see of one of the former ARWS mainstays.

The team themselves have fallen a long way since the days of being legitimate title contenders, having failed to score a point as a collective unit since 2016. However, a sense of recovery and newfound optimism might finally be emanating from the team, revolving around the talismanic Walsh. The team were quick to extend their contract with him for 2019, and the technical team has finally found their feet again after suffering several years of devastating brain drains. While there is still a long way to go for the Belgian squad, there’s a feeling that things might be starting to turn around for the team.

2018 Rating: 4/10
2019 WCC Prediction: 12th

Rob Lomas Racing – Audi
2018 WCC Position – 18th (0 pts)
2018 WDC Position – 28th (Hansuke Shioya – 0 pts*), 38th (Miko Fakkinen – 0 pts), 41st (Jari Kekkonen– 0 pts*)

Rob Lomas’ band of merry men continue to confound even the most battle-hardened of racing pundits. One felt like some progress had been made since their difficult debut season last year, but at the same time it felt like every time they took a step forward, they took another step back in a different area. They started out with journeymen Hansuke Shioya and Miko Fakkinen, two drivers that were unlikely to set the world ablaze, and what was essentially an updated 2017 car. The results beared this fact, as they failed to make the grid all but once in the entire first half of the year.

Their brand new car they brought in proved to be a massive improvement, and coupled with several bigger teams disappearing altogether, starting stringing together regular race starts and occasional finishes. In exchange however, they lost Shioya and replaced him with the frankly terrible Jari Kekkonen. In the end, 18th on the table was about where the team stood for all of the 2018 season, and represented a step back from 2017, where former driver Shinobu Katayama starred to score a point for them in Montreal.

Like several other teams however, things look more promising for the small British privateer team heading into 2019. The team secured the services of Mecha stalwart Jesus Plaza which as a coup for the team. This however was dwarfed by the bigger news that they had secured a technical partnership with MRT for 2019 and beyond, as a similar partnership served Autodyanmics Grand prix to considerable success a few seasons ago. As part of the deal, MRT young driver Gianluigi Pazzini has been brought in as second driver, making his debut after several up-and-down seasons in F2RWRS and Formula 2. The big question mark that remains now is what engine package the team will use for 2019. With Audi and Lomas mutually agreeing to not extend their relationships and the other suppliers showing worryingly little interest in supplying the team, it could just be another case of two steps forward, one step back.

2018 Rating: 3.5/10
2019 WCC Prediction: 15th

Plus One Kingfisher Racing – Great Wall
2018 WCC Position – 19th (0 pts)
2018 WDC Position – 43rd (Quentin Reatherson – 0 pts*), 45th (David Neuberg – 0 pts)

If several teams were in a holding pattern for much of 2019, then PORE were in intensive care barely clinging on to life. From the beginning it was clear the team had become a rudderless shell of its former self, as the Plus One paymasters were nowhere to be seen all season. Kingfisher’s Michael Alexander parachuted in at the last minute to lead a skeleton crew, but by then it was already too late. With an awfully slow car, an inexperienced Quentin Reatherson and dangerously unmotivated David Neuberg at the wheel, and the gutless Great Wall engine to power them along, their fate was sealed by the time the paddock arrived at Adelaide.

It is to Reatherson’s credit that he did the best he could, given the circumstances within the team. Having started each of the first two races, he scored what would prove to be the team’s only finish of the year in 19th, which was just enough to avoid them getting what would have been a well-deserved wooden spoon. Neuberg however may have very well seen the end of his top-line racing career flash before his eyes. The former MRT prospect had been touted as THE next big thing for many years, and while some people do still rate him, it’s clear that he is a broken young man who has been squeezed out of the picture altogether.

The vultures have begun to circle the team in earnest heading into the off-season. With little word from Alexander about the future of the team and Plus One having disappeared entirely from the picture, there has been much speculation about what the future holds. Reatherson has done the only sensible thing he could and jump ship, and while Neuberg would like to do the same, it looks like his options are few and far between. Rumours of a buyout are beginning to do the rounds, with word that Euromotor International and Best In The World are both looking at making bids for the old factory as part of their potential ARWS programs. Regardless of what happens though, it looks like the end of the road for a once promising squad has arrived.

2018 Rating: 1/10
2019 WCC Prediction: 17th

Tassie Racing – Audi
2018 WCC Position – 20th (0 pts)
2018 WDC Position – 12th (Akira Yamamura – 13 pts*), 14th (Tomo Kazama – 0 pts*), 49th (Hans Einhrin – 0 pts), 50th (Hiroto Tojo – 0 pts)

Most of the teams that avoided the wooden spoon were pretty bad over the course of the season. The team that did end up scoring that inglorious achievement, Tassie Racing, were absolutely atrocious. They had a promising platform to work with, having secured the services of two future potential superstars in Akira Yamamura and Tomo Kazama, but it was all downhill from there. Having moved early to secure the Audis, which proved to be underpowered and overweight compared to their rivals, the team then bolted it to what turned out to be a horribly slow and outdated chassis.

The end result was a solitary start for Yamamura in their first 8 races, ironically at Monza of all places, as neither of their two young chargers managed to extract much out of the car. That wasn’t the end of it however, as allegations of sexual harassment were made by Kazama, leading to her walking out of the team after Great Britain. The team drafted in Formula 5000 driver Hans Einhrin on a provisional superlicense for Austria, which the Commission promptly revoked after one weekend. After that, the team was forced to resort to ARWS running gag Hiroto Tojo to drive the car for Germany.

This all proved to be too much for the young Australian squad however. With disciplinary action from the Commission looming, and facing criminal prosecution in the wake of the sex abuse scandal, the team withdrew their entry from the ARWS to little fanfare. Having lasted just over half a season, Tassie have the distinction of being the shortest-lived team in series history, and took home the wooden spoon in both championships. There is something to be learned from the whole saga however, as from start to finish, the entire Tassie Racing experiment was one in how not to run a competitive racing team, and others would be wise to take heed of the results in future years.

2018 Rating: 0/10
Last edited by TomWazzleshaw on 14 Sep 2016, 04:38, edited 1 time in total.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

2018 Southern US Grand Prix

Post by Klon »

Yes, we are doing this again. I am certain nothing horrible will come of this. :ugeek:

Both to deal with the dull off-season and to allow teams some preparation for next year's F1RWRS 500km Race at Indianapolis, the Walt Disney World resort in Orlando has announced the 2018 Southern US Grand Prix, a non-championship race held on their own Mickyard. 99 Laps on December 30 await the competition.

Basic rules:
Entries are limited to 13 teams who either took part in the 2018 season or will take part in the 2019 season (their engines and reliability will be equal to the worst 2018 team taking part)
Engine and reliability stats will be authentic, driver performance simplified (six tier-based system)
Any fictional driver with no other commitment on that date can take part

** ENTRY LIST **
DScity Voeckler Renault
#1: Pippa Mann
#2: Benoît Voeckler

National Jones Ford Team
#3: Nathanael Cameron
#4: Gary Pacer

Peak Aeroracing Engineering
#5: Zaituni Dileita
#6: Gregor Pascal

Dunlop Melrose Racing Team
#7: Takuma Taki
#8: Salvatore Miccoli

Simpson Motorsports
#9: Dave Simpson
#10: Rick Simpson

BASF Nurminen Grand Prix
#19: Marko Jantscher
#20: Danny van Rijkens

Kamaha Revolution Motorsports
#21: Barii Mori
#22: Akira Yamamura

Coca-Cola Fusion Infiniti
#25: Jack Christopherson
#26: Nathanael Spencer

Gillet Ecurie Nationale Belge
#27: Alexandre Dorval
#28: Shane Welsh

Team Mecha Racing
#29: Nino Barlini
#30: John Bean

Komatsu Union Saver Developments
#35: Naoki Shinjo
#36: Shinobu Katayama

RUF Blokkmonsta Grand Prix Team
#37: Nicolas Steele
#38: Connor O'Heagan

Venturi Formula
#39: Riley Griffith
#40: Sandra Yoo
Last edited by Klon on 08 Oct 2016, 18:57, edited 9 times in total.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Gillet - Ecurie Nationale Belge
Driver 1: Alexandre Dorval
Driver 2: TBA
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

DScity Voeckler Renault
#1: Pippa Mann (GBR)
#2: Mineiro (BRA)
Any team that has signed a driver of mine for the 2019 season has my permission in advance to use them in this race. The only exception is Marcel Agyemang-Badu, who has a clashing commitment in ARL the same weekend.

Image Image
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

National Jones Ford Team
#3 - Nathanael Cameron
#4 - Gary Pacer

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

Venturi Formula
Driver 1: Riley Griffith
Driver 2: Sandra Yoo
Last edited by Normal32 on 11 Sep 2016, 15:45, edited 1 time in total.
Pasta_maldonado wrote:I think normal32 is an old English farmer re-incarnated
SeedStriker

Post by SeedStriker »

Komatsu Union Saver Developments
Driver 1: Naoki Shinjo
Driver 2: Shinobu Katayama
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

RUF Blokkmonsta Grand Prix Team
Driver #1: Nicolas Steele
Driver #2: Connor O'Heagan
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

BASF Nurminen GP
Driver #1: Marko Jantscher
Driver #2: Danny van Rijkens
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Team Mecha Racing
#1: Nino Barlini
#2: John Bean

:)
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Coca-Cola Fusion Infiniti:
Driver 1: Jack Christopherson
Driver 2: Nathanael Spencer
Last edited by Miguel98 on 12 Sep 2016, 14:40, edited 1 time in total.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
V8fan12

Post by V8fan12 »

Peak Aeroracing
Driver 1: Daniel Martins (subject to DanielPT's approval)
Driver 2: Gregor Pascal (subject to Wizzie's approval)
Owner of the Peak Motorsport Group.

Biscione wrote:I mean, Renaldo Jimenez, could you ask for a more world class pay driver? Who even is Alexey Buyvolov, amirite?
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Miguel98 wrote:Coca-Cola Fusion Infiniti:
Driver 1: Jack Christopherson (pending Biscione's aprooval)
Driver 2: Nathanael Spencer (pending Biscione's aprooval)

Christopherson is okay, but Spencer ain't mine to give. It's Dartanian you need to speak to.

Image Image
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Pascal is happy to drive with Aeroracing for Walt Disney

#7: Takuma Taki (JPN)
#8: Salvatore Miccoli (ITA)
Last edited by TomWazzleshaw on 14 Sep 2016, 02:53, edited 1 time in total.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Autosport wrote:Van Rijkens signs for Eric Vincent Racing

Fresh from his win in the first race of the African Racing League at Kyalami, Danny van Rijkens confirmed to reporters that he would be remaining in ARWS in 2019.

"I'll be in ARWS in 2019 for sure" he told reporters. "Eric Vincent Racing have signed me up and after the uncertainty I couldn't be happier."

The South African was initially out of a drive mid-way through 2018 when his team Gauthier went to the wall, but he was thrown a lifeline by the Nurminen team who employed him for the rest of the year.

But despite matching up well against well-regarded prospect Marko Jantscher, van Rijkens was given the boot at the close of the season and found himself once again looking for a new employer.

It's believed there were options on the table for the Sasol-backed driver from former boss Sammy Jones in sportscar racing, but Danny was adamant that he wanted to remain in the top level of single seaters.

Instead, he's secured a drive at ARWS newcomers Eric Vincent Racing and is the first driver to be confirmed for the new team, and told reporters he can't wait to get started on preparations for 2019.

"I want to get started right away, the guys all seem fantastic, it's a quality bunch of lads, a small, tight-knit group who I think will really complement each other. We have a fantastic chance. There's fewer teams in ARWS now, lots more opportunities, and I think we'll spring a surprise or two once the season gets started."

O'Heagan delighted to get non-championship outing

Connor O'Heagan has said he's delighted to be given the chance to race for Blokkmonsta at the non-championship ARWS Southern US Grand Prix.

The Irishman has been test and reserve driver for the team during 2018 while competing part-time in the IPC touring car series before it collapsed. Now, with the main season over, he's been rewarded with a chance to show his abilities in ARWS competition once again.

"Naturally I'm delighted, I really am. I didn't expect the team to give me this chance at all, so I'm really happy to have it. I'll be giving 110% out there for sure. It's great to be representing Ireland in premier class motorsport and I hope to do my country proud. We've got a good car, we can go well here."

O'Heagan's 2019 plans are yet to be confirmed, but he's stated that he'd love to stay at Blokkmonsta, and is pushing for a promotion to a race drive.

"If I can do well here, then for sure, why not? Nicholas has had the drive most of the season, if I can show up well against him then I think I stand a great chance of being given the nod. Either way though, I'm very happy at the team, and if they want me to continue as reserve driver next year then I'll gladly sign for that!"

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Biscione wrote:DScity Voeckler Renault
#1: Pippa Mann (GBR)
#2: Mineiro (BRA)

I think we've already agreed that under the terms of the test/reserve driver role, Voeckler can enter Pippa Mann into whichever races they choose, but to confirm that I approve of this non-championship entry.

(...regardless of the fact that in real life, the WDW Speedway no longer exists, it had to make way for a bigger car park. A shame, as I wanted to at least catch a glimpse of it this fortnight. :-( )
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
SuperAguri
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by SuperAguri »

I approve USD using Shinobu Katayama in this race.

Kamaha will use

Barii Mori
Akira Yamamura (with aeronds permission)

Moris' only ever win was at the NC race at Motogi and wishes to see if he can do it again.
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

Yamamura is ok with running the NC race
Tread lightly in ARWS. Every decision might be your last.
V8fan12

Post by V8fan12 »

3. Alexey Buyvolov
Touted as the "next big thing" after his stellar 2017 season with Aeroracing, Buyvolov was practically nowhere all season long in the Simpson and was consistently bettered by team-mate Schiller. A big fall from grace from a potential championship-winning driver.

2. Aurelien Moll
Was looking old and tired back in 2016. 2018 proved that he remains old and tired.

1. Tassie Racing
A complete bathplug of a team. On paper their driving lineup may have had some promise but man did their management ruin that in a millisecond. These guys made even Rob Lomas look competent, and that's saying something. Only survived 10 races (qualifying for just one!). Nuff said.
Owner of the Peak Motorsport Group.

Biscione wrote:I mean, Renaldo Jimenez, could you ask for a more world class pay driver? Who even is Alexey Buyvolov, amirite?
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Wizzie wrote:Pascal is happy to drive with Aeroracing for Walt Disney

#7: Alberto Cara (TRO) - pending Klon's approval
#8: Salvatore Miccoli (ITA) - pending Biscione's approval

Biscione wrote:Any team that has signed a driver of mine for the 2019 season has my permission in advance to use them in this race.

;)

Image Image