Alt-1956: Post-season auction is over!

In honour of our fallen comrade. Archive of all previous canon series across all disciplines.

What should be the tenth race of the 1957 season?

Poll ended at 28 Sep 2016, 23:39

USA (Watkins Glen)
13%
Spain (Pedralbes)
88%

Total votes: 8

RonDenisDeletraz

Re: Alt-1956: Italian Grand Prix!

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Asso di Fiori wiil go to Thailand

Onofre Marimón
O.S.C.A. F156A chassis 4
O.S.C.A. 1500S-56 engine 3
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Two entries for Thai GP:
Juan Galvez - Hernandez Tipo 56 number 1, Hernandez H/258A number 1

And a second entry:
FAO Gaze (AUS):
Tony Gaze - Ferrari R560 chassis 4, Ferrari RS560 engine 6
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Scuderia Ferrari will enter Umberto Maglioli with R560 chassis 3 and RS560 engine 8 for the Thai GP.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Don't forget to enter the season-ending Thai Grand Prix! If you don't think you can find the budget for your regular entry, then go ahead and enter some privateers, this is a great chance to rack up a good result!

The deadline has been set to Monday, 24 October 2016, at noon CET. The entry list has been updated.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Motorsport Magazine, November 1956 wrote:Boles' Bangkok Boldness?

Sir Jeremy Boles is not a stranger to the thrills of high-speed motor racing. Having entered a team in a string of sportscar races, the time has come for the wealthy young man from Silverstone to try his hand at Formula One. But there's a catch. The only race left on the 1956 calendar is the other side of the globe, around the streets of Bangkok, Thailand. The so-called big teams such as Ferrari, Gordini and B.C.M.A are reluctantly entering the race as the 1956 championship is still unresolved, but most of the privateer entries are staying away. But some hardy souls are making the long trip to Bangkok, and Boles wishes to join them.

"We have plenty of money to go to Bangkok, and we will show the likes of Ferrari and Gordini that a plucky privateer can compete with them, even if we have to travel to the other side of the world. I want to make a statement to the motorsport community: Sir Jeremy Boles is entering Formula One."

Boles already has a driver lined up. John Riseley-Prichard, a 32 year old insurance broker from nearby Hereford, is keen to race in Formula One. It is understood that he came close to driving the Vanwall-O.S.C.A combination fielded by Hampshire Racing Alliance for the 1956 season, but ultimately lost out to Roy Salvadori. Which neatly brings us to the sticking point. Boles has the travel costs covered, and he has a driver. However, Boles does not have any Formula One equipment at his Silverstone base. With the ship to Bangkok setting sail shortly, a deal will need to be done in great haste. A Cooper, a Vanwall, even a Bentley, it will not matter as long as the car is a British marque

Entrant: Sir Jeremy Boles
Base: Silverstone, United Kingdom
Driver: John Riseley-Prichard

Boles is interested in purchasing the Cooper T40 chassis owned by O.S.C.A, along with a Bentley 84-1 engine.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

East Londoner wrote:A Cooper, a Vanwall, even a Bentley, it will not matter as long as the car is a British marque

Can I point out that Boles was historically not too fussed about what country his cars were built in? Owned a Mercedes (which pissed Mike Hawthorn off), tried to buy a Ferrari to become more competitive...

Can I also point out that I have three Lancias for sale? :P
#FreeGonzo
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

East Londoner wrote:Entrant: Sir Jeremy Boles

Boles is interested in purchasing the Cooper T40 chassis owned by O.S.C.A, along with a Bentley 84-1 engine.

You can purchase the 84-1 for building cost, but I'd prefer the Cooper T40 to be leased (for free) instead of sold, as I'd like to keep the car.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
Gonzalez

Post by Gonzalez »

East Londoner wrote:
Motorsport Magazine, November 1956 wrote:Boles' Bangkok Boldness?

Sir Jeremy Boles is not a stranger to the thrills of high-speed motor racing. Having entered a team in a string of sportscar races, the time has come for the wealthy young man from Silverstone to try his hand at Formula One. But there's a catch. The only race left on the 1956 calendar is the other side of the globe, around the streets of Bangkok, Thailand. The so-called big teams such as Ferrari, Gordini and B.C.M.A are reluctantly entering the race as the 1956 championship is still unresolved, but most of the privateer entries are staying away. But some hardy souls are making the long trip to Bangkok, and Boles wishes to join them.

"We have plenty of money to go to Bangkok, and we will show the likes of Ferrari and Gordini that a plucky privateer can compete with them, even if we have to travel to the other side of the world. I want to make a statement to the motorsport community: Sir Jeremy Boles is entering Formula One."

Boles already has a driver lined up. John Riseley-Prichard, a 32 year old insurance broker from nearby Hereford, is keen to race in Formula One. It is understood that he came close to driving the Vanwall-O.S.C.A combination fielded by Hampshire Racing Alliance for the 1956 season, but ultimately lost out to Roy Salvadori. Which neatly brings us to the sticking point. Boles has the travel costs covered, and he has a driver. However, Boles does not have any Formula One equipment at his Silverstone base. With the ship to Bangkok setting sail shortly, a deal will need to be done in great haste. A Cooper, a Vanwall, even a Bentley, it will not matter as long as the car is a British marque

Entrant: Sir Jeremy Boles

As this was in talks before, may i suggest that since it's only 1 race left in this season to rent one of our grand Connaughts before attempting to purchase a Car/Engine from a much more decent Manufacturer at the start of next season rather than now.

The Connaught Type-B, although the results aren't what the team were expecting, it is quite a good car to race. More of, it would be good to start to use to start racing as a one-off before starting full-time for next season.

Here was the advert i sent during the British GP, which will be active again for this round:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7607&start=840#p365929

Connaught are really willing to send any of their cars to Thai in order to help make up a bit of money before this season ends.

I was persumably told that you could pay everything including the Travel Costs and the Engines itself. If this was the case, then i'm pretty sure Coventry would allow it as an exception since they do not wish to send any of their Engines to Thai.

It would be a real shame if the Connaught dosen't send their cars to Thai and they do not wish to face having an uncomfortable future or face being laughed or picked or calling us profanities since we are a Manufacturer team.
Bobby Doorknobs

Re: Alt-1956: Enter Thai Grand Prix!

IRC will withhold details on sale price of the Lancia D50s until such time Sir Jeremy Boles' budget is revealed. We would like to make the price as reasonable as we can allow.
#FreeGonzo
Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

DB would be more than willing to sell their 84-1 engines at Mr. Boles for 2 275 GBP.
Pasta_maldonado wrote:I think normal32 is an old English farmer re-incarnated
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Reatherson Racing Developments to fold

Henry Reatherson has been through quite a bit in his time in Formula One. From attempting to make his own racing chassis (that failed quite a lot) to shifting to a privateer role running Jaguars, ERAs and the like (that failed quite a bit), this year was the most successful since Lance Macklin's one seventh place back in the 1953 Swiss Grand Prix, no doubt thanks to Ferrari's partnership with the small Carryduff outfit. Heck, even two-time race winner Juan Manuel Fangio made an appearance for the team in the recent Italian Grand Prix. However, the Irish Reatherson has sensed his time has come to an end.

"You know, in the past five years, I've been moving about quite a bit, across Europe, doing what I love…but it's starting to be a bit much, you know what I mean?", said Reatherson. "Call it cliche, but I met this wonderful woman last year at the non-championship race in Singapore last year, back when Ken Wharton got our highest ever finish, sixth. Back then, racing was beautiful, she was beautiful, everything was beautiful. Even just being a regular privateer, having our cars break down in Macklin's hands, was beautiful. Of course, funds ran dry and Ferrari came in with such a generous offer, almost taking us in as B-Team status. They were amazing, but the beauty…kind of drifted away, you know? As good as we felt we were getting, Cabianca being the most amazing driver I've had in our cars…something didn't feel right. I don't know, being the Ferrari partnership, being a testing ground, being…professional."

"Racing's something I've always done for fun. Sure, I lose quite a bit of money, but it's money I don't mind spending. Back then I kept a toolkit by my side to work on the car a little here and there during races. Now I keep a cheque book. Don't know if the constant retirements with Macklin, the failed attempt at my own car or the thing with Ferrari did it, but now I'm worrying about profits…which is kinda much for me. That woman I met in Singapore? She's moving permanently to Luton for a job come the New Year. We're getting married 10th January next year. I plan to settle down with her, get a family started, who knows, maybe one of our sons will start racing himself." *laughs* "But for now…I'm focused with her. I'll start some sort of garage there, I guess. As long as I'm doing what I love without any worries, I'm perfectly fine with closing down this team, it's been a good run."

"But…remember what I said about Singapore? When, for that last time, racing was beautiful? Why not make it beautiful one last time? I'll enter the Thai Grand Prix. I would love to invite Ken Wharton over for one last race with us, though if Ferrari doesn't permit, we're fine to enter Cabianca as well. My fiancee will be there, it's just a short distance away for her. Travel costs? Sure, they're a lot, but what else but to experience the beauty of motor racing one last time? I'd like to thank Enzo Ferrari for the wonderful opportunity he offered me in Formula One, Ken Wharton for being such a great friend, all my former drivers: Fangio, Cabianca, Perdisa, Wharton again (though you could improve your driving *laughs*), Macklin, and Kelly for all the great work they've been doing, and finally the FIA for allowing me to enjoy motorsport on the highest level."

Reatherson Racing Developments -- Thai Grand Prix

Ken Wharton (if Ferrari permits, Giulio Cabianca if not) -- Ferrari R560 chassis 6, Ferrari RS560 engine 9

"Oh, and can someone please buy these two Bentley chassis I have left alone in my garage? One's from 1953 and the other one's barely recognisable, but just take them off my hands. Please?"
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

WaffleCat wrote:Reatherson Racing Developments to fold

Henry Reatherson has been through quite a bit in his time in Formula One. From attempting to make his own racing chassis (that failed quite a lot) to shifting to a privateer role running Jaguars, ERAs and the like (that failed quite a bit), this year was the most successful since Lance Macklin's one seventh place back in the 1953 Swiss Grand Prix, no doubt thanks to Ferrari's partnership with the small Carryduff outfit. Heck, even two-time race winner Juan Manuel Fangio made an appearance for the team in the recent Italian Grand Prix. However, the Irish Reatherson has sensed his time has come to an end.

"You know, in the past five years, I've been moving about quite a bit, across Europe, doing what I love…but it's starting to be a bit much, you know what I mean?", said Reatherson. "Call it cliche, but I met this wonderful woman last year at the non-championship race in Singapore last year, back when Ken Wharton got our highest ever finish, sixth. Back then, racing was beautiful, she was beautiful, everything was beautiful. Even just being a regular privateer, having our cars break down in Macklin's hands, was beautiful. Of course, funds ran dry and Ferrari came in with such a generous offer, almost taking us in as B-Team status. They were amazing, but the beauty…kind of drifted away, you know? As good as we felt we were getting, Cabianca being the most amazing driver I've had in our cars…something didn't feel right. I don't know, being the Ferrari partnership, being a testing ground, being…professional."

"Racing's something I've always done for fun. Sure, I lose quite a bit of money, but it's money I don't mind spending. Back then I kept a toolkit by my side to work on the car a little here and there during races. Now I keep a cheque book. Don't know if the constant retirements with Macklin, the failed attempt at my own car or the thing with Ferrari did it, but now I'm worrying about profits…which is kinda much for me. That woman I met in Singapore? She's moving permanently to Luton for a job come the New Year. We're getting married 10th January next year. I plan to settle down with her, get a family started, who knows, maybe one of our sons will start racing himself." *laughs* "But for now…I'm focused with her. I'll start some sort of garage there, I guess. As long as I'm doing what I love without any worries, I'm perfectly fine with closing down this team, it's been a good run."

"But…remember what I said about Singapore? When, for that last time, racing was beautiful? Why not make it beautiful one last time? I'll enter the Thai Grand Prix. I would love to invite Ken Wharton over for one last race with us, though if Ferrari doesn't permit, we're fine to enter Cabianca as well. My fiancee will be there, it's just a short distance away for her. Travel costs? Sure, they're a lot, but what else but to experience the beauty of motor racing one last time? I'd like to thank Enzo Ferrari for the wonderful opportunity he offered me in Formula One, Ken Wharton for being such a great friend, all my former drivers: Fangio, Cabianca, Perdisa, Wharton again (though you could improve your driving *laughs*), Macklin, and Kelly for all the great work they've been doing, and finally the FIA for allowing me to enjoy motorsport on the highest level."

Ken Wharton (if Ferrari permits, Giulio Cabianca if not) -- Ferrari R560 chassis 6, Ferrari RS560 engine 9

"Oh, and can someone please buy these two Bentley chassis I have left alone in my garage? One's from 1953 and the other one's barely recognisable, but just take them off my hands. Please?"

I (as in, Hernandez) will buy the Speed 4 chassis for 2 000.
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Normal32 wrote:

I (as in, Hernandez) will buy the Speed 4 chassis for 2 000.

"Oh, thank you so much. So so much. Just…good luck fixing it. Seriously, good luck."
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

The way I see it, if it's your final race, you need no longer worry about bean counting. I'll send you over another Ferrari package so you can run both Wharton and Cabianca.

Image Image
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

tommykl wrote:Don't forget to enter the season-ending Thai Grand Prix! If you don't think you can find the budget for your regular entry, then go ahead and enter some privateers, this is a great chance to rack up a good result!

The deadline has been set to Monday, 24 October 2016, at noon CET. The entry list has been updated.

Considering that BRUNEL is so close to bankruptcy, let's do it with some style (and at the end of a season rather than stretch it out into another year) and send Maria Teresa de Filippis with the Porsche engine to Thailand. And I am sure we can find some private buyers out there to buy all our assets to save shipping them all home again.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Biscione wrote:

The way I see it, if it's your final race, you need no longer worry about bean counting. I'll send you over another Ferrari package so you can run both Wharton and Cabianca.

"Oh my…goodness. Thank you so very, very much for this, Mr. Ferrari, thank you…just…thank you."

Ken Wharton -- Ferrari R560 chassis 6, Ferrari RS560 engine 9
Giulio Cabianca -- Ferrari R560 chassis 5, Ferrari RS560 engine 4

DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Ferrari R560 chassis 5 & Ferrari RS560 engine 4 will be loaned to Reatherson for Cabianca's Thai GP entry.

Image Image
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Generic British Newspaper wrote:Halford Auto Racing Team Departs For Final Race

The Warwickshire-based Halford Auto Racing Team has announced its intention to travel to a Grand Prix meeting for one final time before Halford returns his financial focus to his profession as a hotelier.

The team, which is already worryingly in the red, will send its machinery and personnel to a Grand Prix weekend for the final time as Halford himself will join forces with Australian Ken Kavanagh as they seek a point at their last opportunity.

"We will sell off our Vanwall equipment either back to the manufacturers or, if they don't want it, to a private collector in Thailand; the market for Formula One memorabilia is very strong thanks to the success of 1954 Word Champion, Prince Bira."

Halford commended the efforts of everyone in his racing team, and wished Vanwall continued success as a constructor.

H.A.R.T. Entries (for the final time before I shift my focus to Volga Testa Russo next year)
  • Bruce Halford - Vanwall VW55 (2) / Bentley 16VL-1 (1)
  • Ken Kavanagh - Vanwall VW56 (4) / Vanwall 254 (2)
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

In the news
October 26th - South Vietnam proclaims new Constitution

October 27th - Saar Treaty signed between France and West Germany, confirming return of Saarland to Germany

October 28th - Ceasefire agreed in Budapest

October 28th - Pope Pius XII calls for peace and freedom in Hungary

October 28th - French Togoland referendum in favour of autonomy rejected by UN

October 29th - Israeli forces invade Sinai peninsula forcing Egypt towards Suez Canal

October 29th - Tangier incorporated into Morocco

October 29th - Sulayman al-Nabulsi forms Jordanian government following general election

October 29th - Louis Rosier dies of injuries suffered from Montlhéry crash

October 30th - Soviet troups withdraw from Budapest

October 31st - British and French forces bomb Suez Canal area

October 31st - US Navy expedition reaches South Pole for third time; Antarctic base construction begins

November 1st - Boundaries and names of Indian states reorganised

November 1st - Truong Chinh replaced by Ho Chi Minh as Vietnamese General Secretary following Sino-Soviet split

November 1st - Pius XII extends calls for prayer for Hungary, Poland and the Middle East

November 1st - Imre Nagy announces Hungary's neutrality and withdrawal from Warsaw Pact

November 1st - Allen Ginsberg publishes Howl amidst controversy

November 3rd - Uncut version of The Wizard of Oz broadcast on national US television

November 4th - Soviet troops invade Hungary and quash Budapest revolt, thousands killed, many flee

November 4th - János Kádár installed as Hungarian head of government as well as head of state

November 4th - Dutch Communist Party office building stormed

November 5th - Nat King Cole Show débuts on NBC

November 6th - Netherlands and Spain withdraw from Summer Olympics in response to Soviet invasion of Hungary

November 6th - Eisenhower wins second presidential term against Adlai Stevenson in a landslide

November 7th - UN Assembly calls for withdrawal of Israeli, French and British troops from Egypt

November 8th - UN demands Soviet withdrawal from Hungary

November 13th - Mongtomery Bus Boycott ends as Supreme Court quashes segregation laws

November 14th - Last Hungarian rebels cease fighting, ending revolt

November 18th - Sami Solh appointed as Lebanese Premier for a fifth term

November 18th - Khrushchev claims "We will bury you" to Western representatives in Warsaw

November 20th - Milovan Djilas imprisoned by Yugoslav regime following critical comments

November 22nd - Melbourne Summer Olympics begin

November 23rd - Fuel rationing declared in Britain as a result of Suez Crisis

November 27th - Diary of Anne Frank published

November 28th - Brigitte Bardot propulsed to stardom with release of And God Created Woman

November 30th - Floyd Patterson takes over world heavyweight boxing title
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Sir Jeremy Boles can confirm the following entry for Bangkok, having hired the required equipment from O.S.C.A and DB.

John Riseley-Prichard - Cooper T40 chassis 2, DB 84-1 engine 1
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Currently winning elsewhere
SCCA Atlanta Regionals @ Gainesville - Chuck Saffell (Main/S+1.5) - Joe Sheppard (S1.5) - E.B. Gibson (VW) - Ralph Bagwell (Novice) - Audrey Saffell (Ladies)

Campionato Emilia Romania @ Modena - Antonio de Berardinis (S2.0) - Romano Malaguti (S1.1) - Ilario Bandini (S750) - Giuliano Giovanardi (GT+1.5) - Egidio Gorza (GT1.5) - Renzo Grandoli (GT1.1) - Lanzo Cusini (GT750)

Old Dominion 400 @ Martinsville (NASCAR Grand National) - Jack Smith

SCCA New York Regionals @ Thompson - Walt Hansgen (Open/Main) - Harry Carter (CP) - Art Simmons (DP) - George Lazarevich (EP) - Paul Sagan (FM) - John Clapp (FP) - Charles Rutan (GM) - Edwin Sprigg (GP) - John B. Mull (HM)

SCCA Nationals and West Coast Championship @ Palm Springs - John Barneson (BM) - Phil Hill (CM) - Dick Thompson (CP) - Bob Drake (DM/FM) - Jack Bates (DP) - Elliott Forbes-Robinson (DP)- James Lowe (EM) - Bob Oker (EP) - Pete Lovely (FM) - Don Dickey (FP) - Richard Morse (FP) - Harvey Meyer (GM) - James Orr (HM) - Ron Pearson (FS) - Tom Fox (F3)

Venezuelan Grand Prix @ Caracas - Stirling Moss (S+2.0/Overall) - Jean Behra (S2.0) - Sergio Vivaldi/Lino Fayen (S1.5)

Buddy Shuman 200 @ Hickory (NASCAR Grand National) - Speedy Thompson

NASCAR Grand National @ Lancaster - Marvin Panch

USAC National Bobby Ball Memorial @ Phoenix - George Amick

CSCC West Coast Championship @ Paramount Ranch - Eric Hauser (BM) - Chuck Porter (CM) - Lawrence Clarke (CP) - John von Neumann (DM) - Jack Bates (DP) - Jim Firestone (EM) - Bob Oker (EP) - Ken Miles (FM) - Dale Johnson (FP) - Jean Oddous (GM) - Perry Peron (HM) - Mark Brunner (HP)

NASCAR Grand National @ Wilson - Buck Baker

Mil Milhas Brasileiras @ Interlagos - Catharino Andreatta/Breno Fornari

SCCA San Jacinto Regionals @ Mansfield - Jim Saunders (BM) - John Peach (BM) - A.G. Logan (CM) - Bob Stonedale (CP) - Dale Duncan (DM) - Gary Laughlin (DM) - Paul Wabnig (DP) - Jay Hoke (DP) - Peter Proctor (EM) - William D. Hopkins (EM) - Ray Jones (EP) - Roy Cherryhomes (FM) - Norman Scott (FM) - J. Rusty Wright (FP) - Ham Prestridge (GM) - Bob Aylward (GM) - D.C. McCann (GP) - Bill Betts (HM) - Bill Clifford (F3)

Australian TT @ Albert Park - Stirling Moss (Tourist Trophy) - Neil Charge (Argus Cup)

tommykl

Post by tommykl »

December 1st 1956, Thai Grand Prix qualifying

What a season it has been. Jack Brabham has been far and away the fastest driver, as shown by his five pole positions, four fastest laps and three race victories. However, as his Gordini has proven to be very unreliable, this has meant that he has been unable to pull away in the title fight. In fact, Desmond Titterington led the championship for a certain amount of time. Brabham had a shot at sealing the title in Monza, but by retiring, he ensured the title would go to Bangkok, the race that no one wanted to attend.

And yet, here we are.

Following the devastating deaths of André Milhoux, Paco Godia, Tony Brooks and Dries van der Lof, as well as 7 spectators in Rouen, Desmond Titterington understandably retired from motorsport after the Italian Grand Prix, despite having a distinct title chance. This leaves Stirling Moss as the unexpected sole challenger to Brabham's dominance, five points adrift. This, along with O.S.C.A. being a single point behind Gordini in the teams' championships, has ensured that the intrigue would last a fair while longer.

Due to the large distance between Thailand and mainland Europe and the astronomical rise in cost associated with the Suez Crisis, many teams simply decided not to bother, leaving the field wide open for privateers seeking a piece of glory. Including the works teams, only 24 drivers will be competing this weekend.

1. Ottorino Volonterio (O.S.C.A.) - O.S.C.A. F156A chassis 5, O.S.C.A. 1500S-56 engine 4
2. Stirling Moss (O.S.C.A.) - O.S.C.A. F156A chassis 6, O.S.C.A. 1500S-56 engine 5
3. José Froilán González (O.S.C.A.) - O.S.C.A. F156A chassis 7, O.S.C.A. 1500S-56 engine 6
4. Robert Manzon (O.S.C.A.) - O.S.C.A. F156A chassis 8, O.S.C.A. 1500S-56 engine 7
5. Doug Steane (Douglas Steane) - Gordini Type 56 chassis 4, Gordini G258/A engine 5
6. Arsenio Laurel (Écurie Pinoy) - Gordini G-953 chassis 6, Gordini ART-004 engine 6
7. B. Bira (Team Lotus) - Lotus 10 chassis 1, B.C.M.A. A/AS Griffin 6
8. Masten Gregory (Team Lotus) - Lotus 10 chassis 5, B.C.M.A. A/AS Griffin 7
9. Lex Davison (Team Lotus) - Lotus 10 chassis 3, B.C.M.A. A/AS Griffin 8
10. Vasiliy Kuznetzov (State Committee for Sports and Body Culture of USSR) - GAZ OK01 chassis 1, GAZ M650 engine 1
11. Eduardo de Carvalho (Theodore Yip) - Aston Martin AM-04 chassis 11, Jaguar JFE-2 engine 1
12. Robert Richie (Theodore Yip) - Aston Martin AM-04 chassis 12, Jaguar JFE-2 engine 16
14. Jack Brabham (Alexander Racing Team-Gordini) - Gordini Type 56 chassis 1, Gordini G258/A engine 1
15. Consalvo Sanesi (Alexander Racing Team-Gordini) - Gordini Type 56 chassis 2, Gordini G258/A engine 2
16. Onofre Marimón (Asso di Fiori) - O.S.C.A. F156A chassis 4, O.S.C.A. 1500S-56 engine 3
17. Juan Galvez (Juan Galvez) - Hernandez Tipo 56 chassis 1, Hernandez H/258A engine 1
18. Tony Gaze (F.A.O. Gaze) - Ferrari R560 chassis 4, Ferrari RS560 engine 6
19. Umberto Maglioli (Scuderia Ferrari) - Ferrari R560 chassis 3, Ferrari RS560 engine 8
20. John Riseley-Prichard (Sir Jeremy Boles) - Cooper T40 chassis 2, DB 84-1 engine 1
21. Ken Wharton (Reatherson Racing Developments) - Ferrari R560 chassis 6, Ferrari RS560 engine 9
22. Maria Teresa de Filippis (BRUNEL) - O.S.C.A. F154 chassis 4, Porsche 755 engine 5
23. Giulio Cabianca (Reatherson Racing Developments) - Ferrari R560 chassis 5, Ferrari RS560 engine 4
24. Bruce Halford (Halford Auto Racing Team) - Vanwall VW55 chassis 2, Bentley 16VL-1 engine 6
25. Ken Kavanagh (Halford Auto Racing Team) - Vanwall VW56 chassis 4, Vanwall 254 engine 2

-In a bid to seal all championships, O.S.C.A. have decided to field a full four-car operation, with regulars Volonterio, Moss, González and Manzon competing. Troy Ruttman was not retained despite his fifth place finish in Monza.
-One of many local drivers competing, recent Macau Grand Prix winner Doug Steane, from Hong Kong, will be entering a spare Gordini.
-Arsenio Laurel, from the Philippines, also loaned a Gordini (having driven for them in Singapore in 1955) for his own Ecurie Pinoy.
-Team Lotus, banking on the home advantage of B. Bira, have decided to field a full team with Bira, Gregory and Davison, who will likely take the opportunity to visit his family in Australia.
-The glorious Union of Socialist Soviet Republics has returned to the paddock, Vasiliy Kuznetsov back behind the wheel of the GAZ in Thailand.
-Returning to Macau Grand Prix winners, local business magnate Theodore Yip has entered old Aston Martin-Jaguars for the race's first two winners, Eduardo de Carvalho and Robert Ritchie, from Portugal and the UK.
-While O.S.C.A. are entering with full force, Gordini are entering the bare minimum of Brabham and Consalvo Sanesi to act as a buffer against the Italian onslaught.
-Frederico Hernandez, unable to attend the race himself, decided to loan his car to countryman Juan Galvez, who will make his début.
-As Ferrari will only be entering this race with one works car, Tony Gaze decided to loan one of the team's chassis for himself.
-Umberto Maglioli will be the sole works Ferrari driver following his brilliant podium in Silverstone.
-Over four years after his unremarkable début, John Riseley-Prichard will be making his second F1 appearance in an unusual Cooper-DB combination sponsored by wealthy privateer Sir Jeremy Boles.
-Announcing the team's dissolution following the race, Henry Reatherson has decided to finish his F1 involvement with a two-car entry for Ken Wharton and Giulio Cabianca, thanks to the benevolence of Ferrari.
-Similarly, BRUNEL will be spending the last of their money on sending Maria Teresa de Filippis to Bangkok in the O.S.C.A.-Porsche.
-Finally, Bruce Halford will also be digging into the depths of his bank account to send himself and Australian motorcycle rider Ken Kavanagh to Bangkok, seeing a good opportunity to net a good result.

With the circuit being only 3.2km long and winding around the royal palace and government buildings, only the fastest 20 drivers will make Sunday's race.

tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Here's potential qualifying performance.

Maglioli - 121
Steane - 118
de Filippis - 118
Marimón - 117
Kavanagh - 114
Kuznetsov - 114
Laurel - 113
Bira - 113
Gregory - 112
Moss - 112
Wharton - 112
Davison - 111
Gaze - 111
González - 110
Volonterio - 110
Brabham - 110
Sanesi - 110
de Carvalho - 109
Richie - 109
Manzon - 108
Riseley-Prichard - 107
Halford - 107
Cabianca - 106
Gálvez - 104

tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Qualifying results
1. Stirling Moss (O.S.C.A.) - 1:30.52
2. Jack Brabham (Gordini) - 1:30.54
3. Robert Manzon (O.S.C.A.) - 1:30.88
4. Consalvo Sanesi (Gordini) - 1:31.33
5. Umberto Maglioli (Ferrari) - 1:31.39
6. José Froilán González (O.S.C.A.) - 1:31.41
7. Ottorino Volonterio (O.S.C.A.) - 1:32.38
8. B. Bira (Lotus-B.C.M.A.) - 1:32.55
9. Onofre Marimón (O.S.C.A.) - 1:33.87
10. Masten Gregory (Lotus-B.C.M.A.) - 1:35.15
11. Ken Wharton (Ferrari) - 1:36.66
12. Tony Gaze (Ferrari) - 1:37.29
13. Giulio Cabianca (Ferrari) - 1:37.40
14. Lex Davison (Lotus-B.C.M.A.) - 1:37.76
15. Doug Steane (Gordini) - 1:39.90
16. Ken Kavanagh (Vanwall) - 1:40.60
17. Maria Teresa de Filippis (O.S.C.A.-Porsche) - 1:40.97
18. Juan Gálvez (Hernandez) - 1:43.23
19. Bruce Halford (Vanwall-Bentley) - 1:43.77
20. Arsenio Laurel (Gordini) - 1:43.94
21. Vasiliy Kuznetsov (GAZ) - 1:44.62
22. Eduardo de Carvalho (Aston Martin-Jaguar) - 1:44.66
23. Robert Richie (Aston Martin-Jaguar) - 1:46.65
24. John Riseley-Prichard (Cooper-DB) - 1:51.57

The stage is set for a brilliant race tomorrow, with the two title contenders in the top two spots and the underdog on pole, but their teammates are very close behind. In general, it wasn't hard to make the grid, but John Riseley-Prichard's F3 car had no hope in the first place, and Teddy Yip's 1953 Aston-Jags had little chance. In fact, it was only a brilliant effort from Arsenio Laurel that prevented him from suffering the same fate in the 1953 Gordini, instead forcing Vasiliy Kuznetsov in the controversial Soviet entry to sit out the race.

Aislabie

Re: Alt-1956: Bangkok qualifying up!

Post by Aislabie »

Two H.A.R.T. cars on the grid - incredible sorcery!
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

And here is race performance:

Brabham 38
Halford 37
Sanesi 30
Gálvez 25
Kavanagh 24
Laurel 19
Gaze 15
Marimón 13
Davison 13
Bira 2
González -3
Cabianca -4
Wharton -5
Moss -6
Maglioli -9
Steane -13
Gregory -16
Manzon -17
de Filippis -18
Volonterio -54

There will be a maximum of six finishers. There will be 3 engine failures and two accidents, one C1 and one C3.

Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Arsenio Laurel wrote:I am honoured to be the pirst Pilippine driver to start a pormula one Grand Prix

Jokes about the accent aside, it's already a victory to have beaten the 'big' Theodore Racing!
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

The suspense is almost unbearable!
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

December 2nd 1956, Thai Grand Prix

Jack Brabham stalled on the grid, which was later attributed to a terminal clutch failure. The title was wide open for Stirling Moss and O.S.C.A. to take.

Robert Manzon led the first lap from the fast-starting González and Maglioli, with Moss lagging behind in fourth. Moss fell back further, preserving his car, while González took the race lead on lap 4. As Moss lost positions, the order was shuffled continually. Juan Gálvez then retired when he smashed into one of the palace walls on lap 8. He was sent to the hospital in pain, but conscious. Many drivers refused to overtake for a long time, unfamiliar with the new circuit, and at the front, González made a mistake on the uneven surface at the final corner of lap 14. He kept the car running, but lost the lead to Umberto Maglioli in the Ferrari.

On lap 16, however, it was evident that Moss wasn't holding back intentionally. He pulled into the pits with an ill-sounding car, his gearbox having been failing since the very beginning. He pulled out of the race when he had reached last place, ensuring the Jack Brabham could once again break out the champagne. In the meantime, Giulio Cabianca span out from a puncture caused by debris from Gálvez's accident, putting an end to a fine race up to that point. They were closely followed by Bira, whose engine caught fire, prompting the race attendance figures to take a nosedive. Bira was in fourth place at the time. Ken Wharton retired from another engine failure on the following lap.

González and Sanesi began fighting over second place, allowing Maglioli to pull away in the lead momentarily. Behind them, Lex Davison had worked his way up to fifth place, but retired on lap 27 with faulty steering. Doug Steane followed him with an oil leak. Umberto Maglioli lost his lead, with González and Sanesi catching up by lap 32, but Maglioli suddenly pulled away again without relinquishing the lead. With a lack of frontrunners (and Volonterio having a shocking race), Ken Kavanagh, Maria Teresa de Filippis and Onofre Marimón were fighting for sixth. Volonterio's race was mercifully ended on lap 49, when he pulled into the pits, demoralised at the lack of overtaking opportunities on the circuit. On lap 53, González and Sanesi caught Maglioli once again, but the Italian managed to keep them behind a while longer. The field was reduced to 10 when de Filippis' gearbox failed from eighth.

The dream ended on lap 62 when Sanesi found a way past Maglioli on the twisty street circuit. Bruce Halford was the next man to retire on lap 71, when he pulled into the pit with suspension failure, having briefly run in sixth place, and leaving teammate/employee Ken Kavanagh in sixth himself. Robert Manzon then retired with a clutch failure. No places were changing hands at this point, as the race settled into a procession. Then, around lap 85, González started to gain time. On lap 91, he easily left Maglioli in his dust and set about catching Sanesi. Further back, Kavanagh caught and passed Tony Gaze for what was now fourth place. Ultimately, Maglioli was unable to keep the pace at all, while González couldn't quite find the speed to challenge Sanesi, ending the fight in the top three and securing all titles for Gordini. Tony Gaze ran out of fuel less than ten laps from the end, leaving Kavanagh and Marimón to battle hard for fourth place. Sadly, with two laps to go, Kavanagh's engine failed, though he was still classified in fifth place. Masten Gregory claimed the final point, having been mired in the tight midfield battle and lost time behind slower cars. Arsenio Laurel was the last remaining runner, a very distant seventh.

1. Consalvo Sanesi (Gordini) 2:49:53.89
2. José Froilán González (O.S.C.A.) +1 lap
3. Umberto Maglioli (Ferrari) +3 laps
4. Onofre Marimón (O.S.C.A.) +7 laps
5. Ken Kavanagh (Vanwall) +8 laps/Engine
6. Masten Gregory (Lotus-B.C.M.A.) +9 laps
7. Arsenio Laurel (Gordini) +12 laps
Ret. Tony Gaze (Ferrari) +14 laps/Out of fuel
Ret. Robert Manzon (O.S.C.A.) +23 laps/Clutch
Ret. Bruce Halford (Vanwall-Bentley) +41 laps/Suspension
Ret. Maria Teresa de Filippis (O.S.C.A.-Porsche) +51 laps/Gearbox
Ret. Ottorino Volonterio (O.S.C.A.) +62 laps/Withdrew
Ret. Lex Davison (Lotus-B.C.M.A.) +81 laps/Steering
Ret. Doug Steane (Gordini) +81 laps/Oil leak
Ret. Ken Wharton (Ferrari) +87 laps/Engine
Ret. B. Bira (Lotus-B.C.M.A.) +90 laps/Engine
Ret. Giulio Cabianca (Ferrari) +92 laps/Spin
Ret. Stirling Moss (O.S.C.A.) +92 laps/Gearbox
Ret. Juan Gálvez (Hernandez) +100 laps/Accident
Ret. Jack Brabham (Gordini) +107 laps/Clutch

Fastest lap: Robert Manzon (O.S.C.A.) - 1:31.94

Complete season standings will be posted in a timely manner. Congratulations to Jack Brabham and Gordini for sealing the World Championship!

Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Strong celebrations in the H.A.R.T. garage as Ken Kavanagh claims the team's first and only points.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Marimon in the points. Bloody excellent.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

Piero Taruffi wrote:Congratulations to Jack Brabham and Gordini. We tried our best, but they were simply the stronger this year. I'm not saying we're not disappointed, but if you look at were we stood at the end of the year and where we are now, I think once the disappointment of this defeat has worn off we can be content with the results of this year. We scored our first race win, our first pole position and could consistently challenge for podiums. Next year, the titles are our goals.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Running in 8th when Maria retired? Well, I suppose the race was looking promising for her by that point, but it just wasn't to be. Farewell, BRUNEL.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

All the final standings, as well as detailed tables, are available on the wiki:

http://formularejects.com/wiki/1956_Alternate_Formula_One_Season

tommykl

Re: Alt-1956: Final standings posted!

Post by tommykl »

Post-race report
Injuries
Nothing to see here.

Repair costs
Kavanagh's engine (254 engine 2) - £572
Wharton's engine (RS560 engine 9) - £22 262
Bira's engine (A/AS Griffin engine 6) - £3 144
Cabianca's chassis (R560 chassis 5) - £2 167
Gálvez's chassis (Tipo 56 chassis 1) - £13 666

Prize money (distance)
Consalvo Sanesi - £2 000
José Froilán González - £1 991
Umberto Maglioli - £1 972
Onofre Marimón - £1 935
Ken Kavanagh - £1 925
Masten Gregory - £1 916
Arsenio Laurel - £1 888
Tony Gaze - £1 869
Robert Manzon - £1 785
Bruce Halford - £1 617
Maria Teresa de Filippis - £1 523
Ottorino Volonterio - £1 421
Lex Davison - £1 243
Doug Steane - £1 243
Ken Wharton - £1 187
B. Bira - £1 159
Giulio Cabianca - £1 140
Stirling Moss - £1 140
Juan Gálvez - £1 065
Jack Brabham - £1 000
Vasiliy Kuznetsov - £500
Eduardo de Carvalho - £500
Robert Richie - £500
John Riseley-Prichard - £500

Prize money (position)
Consalvo Sanesi - £26 000
José Froilán González - £21 250
Umberto Maglioli - £16 500
Onofre Marimón - £11 750
Ken Kavanagh - £9 000
Masten Gregory - £6 250
Arsenio Laurel - £5 500
Robert Manzon - £5 500
Tony Gaze - £4 750
Bruce Halford - £3 250
Maria Teresa de Filippis - £2 500
Ottorino Volonterio - £2 250
Stirling Moss - £2 250
Lex Davison - £2 000
Doug Steane - £1 750
Ken Wharton - £1 500
B. Bira - £1 250
Giulio Cabianca - £1 000
Juan Gálvez - £500
Jack Brabham - £250

Budgets have been updated, including the return of equipment to base. BRUNEL, Reatherson and Halford have declared bankruptcy.

tommykl

Re: Alt-1956: Final standings posted!

Post by tommykl »

It's that time of year again.

Post-season auction

Here, you can purchase old machinery at discount price, and unlike last year, there is no minimum bid! All machinery owned by defunct teams will be put up for auction and be sold to the highest bidder, with the proceeds going towards the final prize money pot. Any machinery that isn't purchased will be sold to private collectors or scrapped, with the resulting money also sold to collectors. To bid, simply state the component you're bidding on and how much you're bidding!

If you wish to sell some of your old machinery, you can also do so here! Do tell me if I've missed anything, too.

Vanwall VW55 chassis 2 - £250 (Vanwall)
Vanwall VW56 chassis 4 - £250 (Vanwall)
Vanwall VW55 chassis 1 - £250 (Vanwall)
Lancia D50 chassis 1 - £150 (Adriatica)
Lancia D50 chassis 2 - £150 (Adriatica)
Lancia D50 chassis 4 - £150 (Adriatica)
Alfa Romeo AR161 chassis 1 - £100 (Gordini)
Alfa Romeo AR161 chassis 2 - £100 (Gordini)
Alfa Romeo AR161 chassis 7 - £100 (Gordini)
Alfa Romeo AR161 chassis 8 - £100 (Gordini)
O.S.C.A. F154 chassis 4 - £100 (Gordini)
Bentley Speed 4 chassis 11 - £100 (Gordini)
Bentley 53C chassis 1 - £100 (Gordini)
Guidobaldi FG01 chassis 5 - £100 (Gordini)
Aston Martin AM-04 chassis 5 (Asso di Fiori)
Aston Martin AM-04 chassis 10 (Asso di Fiori) (damaged: £11 322)

Vanwall 254 engine 2 (damaged: £572) - £250 (Vanwall)
Vanwall 254 engine 6 (damaged: £10 781) - £250 (Vanwall)
Vanwall 254 engine 1 - £250 (Vanwall)
Lancia DS50 engine 3 - £150 (Adriatica)
Lancia DS50 engine 4 - £150 (Adriatica)
Alfa Romeo AR2V8 engine 1 - £100 (Gordini)
Alfa Romeo AR2V8 engine 2 - £100 (Gordini)
Alfa Romeo AR2V8 engine 5 - £100 (Gordini)
Balkan Lion F154 engine 3 - £100 (Gordini)
Jaguar JFE-2 engine 7 - £100 (Gordini)
Porsche 755 engine 5 - £100 (Gordini)
Bentley 16VL-1 engine 11 - £100 (Gordini)
Loonmotor SAMC-1A engine 3 - £100 (Gordini)
Bentley 16VL-1 engine 6 (Connaught)
Bentley 16VL-1 engine 8 (Connaught)
Jaguar JFE-2 engine 8 (Asso di Fiori)
Jaguar JFE-2 engine 10 (Asso di Fiori)

There is no deadline as of yet, as I am quite busy. When I do find the time, I will give a couple days' notice before closing the auction.

Normal32

Re: Alt-1956: Post-season auction is GO!

Post by Normal32 »

Hernandez will scrap their Bentley Speed 4 chassis and repair their Tipo 56.
Bobby Doorknobs

IRC will put everything it has up for auction, except for the blown DS50 engine, which will be scrapped. The damaged chassis will be repaired. Of particular note is our Loonmotor coffee table, for which we expect a very generous sum.
#FreeGonzo
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

Gordini will bid £100 on everything and we will scrap all G-593 chassis and ART004 engines.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Rob Walker Racing will buy the used Lotus 10s and BCMAs from Team Lotus at cost price, and Team Lotus scrap the remaining Jaguars and Aston Martins
Last edited by TomWazzleshaw on 16 Nov 2016, 00:29, edited 1 time in total.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.