The 2015 Abu Dhabi GP Discussion Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
AndreaModa

The 2015 Abu Dhabi GP Discussion Thread

Post by AndreaModa »

Well there you go, approaching the conclusion of FP2 and still no discussion thread for the last race of the season.

Quite frankly, I can't understand why! There's so much excitement, so much left to decide!

Ah. Maybe not.

Still, I'm interested to see what will happen at Mercedes this weekend. Will we see an on track battle? Or will whoever is in P2, half a minute up the road from a Williams or Ferrari in third place, be told to hold station and just follow the leader home?
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: The 2015 Abu Dhabi GP Discussion Thread

Post by DanielPT »

Wait! There will be a GP this weekend? And that much to decide? We are spoiled no doubt! :)

Well, I'll be damn! They forgot the thunderous Finnish battle! On one side you have iceman Kimi driving a Fiat 1600 S and in the other corner you have maverick Valtteri driving a MG Midget and both are separated by a single point in favor of the MG driver. Who will win this is the biggest question ever, if not of this weekend?
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

C'mon sheeples, this is hardly the first time, even in recent memory, where the championships have been wrapped up early. What's with the negativity? I mean, I get DPT, he's probably off his nut again and hoping for a good result for Pedro Lamy but the rest of us can look forward to one last F1 fix of 2015 at a great track that goes dark after a bit. What's not to like?
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:C'mon sheeples, this is hardly the first time, even in recent memory, where the championships have been wrapped up early. What's with the negativity? I mean, I get DPT, he's probably off his nut again and hoping for a good result for Pedro Lamy but the rest of us can look forward to one last F1 fix of 2015 at a great track that goes dark after a bit. What's not to like?

What negativity? You're on a bad trip again. We are just praising what is left to decide at the race. There is always something to decide. And something to make fun of. Oh, and looking forward to the race. Truthfully I've barely seen a race this year for numerous reasons, but I looking forward to watch this one for no real reason other than it's been a while I've watched one.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

The highest championship position that's still up for grabs is 4th. And the race is at Abu Dhabi. Sigh. Oh well let's see how this goes - one last hurrah for 2015, as they all say...
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Rob Dylan wrote:The highest championship position that's still up for grabs is 4th. And the race is at Abu Dhabi. Sigh. Oh well let's see how this goes - one last hurrah for 2015, as they all say...

And it's less of a tight battle and more of a "see if the guy in the better car screws up".
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

I thought the appearance of this post late Thursday/early Friday was telling too. Season fatigue? Nothing to decide? More tiresome Hamilton/Rosberg nonsense?
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

I guess we can celebrate the one year anniversary of a historic moment in Grand Prix racing.

The debut of Will Stevens, obviously.

Also, we could always be positive about the fact that this race isn't double points this year.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

The Mail and the Telegraph are reporting a bit of a tiff between Toto Wolff and Niki Lauda over the Red Bull Racing engine saga, and are speculating over whether Lauda would walk away over Wolff killing off the chance of RBR getting a Mercedes engine.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motors ... -team.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formul ... ilton.html
Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

Any one else noticed the small yacht in between the two massive ones at turn 11? (i think)

F1 is the only sport where a billionaire is made to feel inadequate!
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Fetzie wrote:The Mail and the Telegraph are reporting a bit of a tiff between Toto Wolff and Niki Lauda over the Red Bull Racing engine saga, and are speculating over whether Lauda would walk away over Wolff killing off the chance of RBR getting a Mercedes engine.

I think as newspapers they're very much bigging up the effect it'll have on Mercedes' team performance as a whole. As is usually the case, I think it will probably take a little for management change to have any real effect on the performance of the car.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

Rob Dylan wrote:
Fetzie wrote:The Mail and the Telegraph are reporting a bit of a tiff between Toto Wolff and Niki Lauda over the Red Bull Racing engine saga, and are speculating over whether Lauda would walk away over Wolff killing off the chance of RBR getting a Mercedes engine.

I think as newspapers they're very much bigging up the effect it'll have on Mercedes' team performance as a whole. As is usually the case, I think it will probably take a little for management change to have any real effect on the performance of the car.

Yeah, Lauda has a non-executive directorship, which essentially means he is there for moral support. He'll have no real authority, especially not to sign contracts which is presumably what Toto didn't like when Lauda went to Mateschitz and left with a handshake deal to supply engines to RBR back in July. If he left, I don't think much would change at all. Engine development and aerodynamics answer to Paddy Lowe, not Lauda.

Alonso is 7th as of 10 minutes to the end of Q3.

Alonso was on track for a similar lap time to Button before that puncture :/

Vettel out in Q1.
Last edited by Fetzie on 28 Nov 2015, 13:21, edited 1 time in total.
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

Vettel didn't pass Q1! :shock: Oh my
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Vettel out, Alonso gets a friggin puncture, Merc 1 second up on everyone else. That was a little unexpected.

Wow, once again a driver who works wonders with his car all season looks set to bomb in the last race, maybe this is foreshadowing towards a dire 2016?
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

Button managed 12th, I reckon Alonso could have done that too if he hadn't had that puncture.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Mark Webber just publicly stated that Alonso should take a sabbatical in 2016, before joining in a spot of McLaren-burying with the BBC crew.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Can we name Perez lap "Lap of the Year"?
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Hamilton's got to step up tomorrow though. If Rosberg wins (especially if it's a commanding win like the last two races), that'd be 3 wins in a row, and all it's going to do is give ridiculous amounts of confidence to Nico for next year. Just because Lewis has won the championship, doesn't mean that the momentum isn't moving away from him and towards Nico.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

East Londoner wrote:Mark Webber just publicly stated that Alonso should take a sabbatical in 2016, before joining in a spot of McLaren-burying with the BBC crew.

Yeah, Alonso having a year off seems to be becoming a thing. Surely coming back in 2017 is going to put him at a disadvantage? It's not like he can test the crap out of the car like Prost did for '93. Also, what if McLaren remain piss poor in 2016 and don't look like making any progress for 2017? He might well be racing in F1 for the last time tomorrow. Weird.
Just For One Day...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Yeah, on one hand I hate to see Alonso and Button stuck in piss-poor machinery. On the other hand, I'd hate to see Alonso retire after this season :( But maybe retirement (or at least a year off) is for the best.
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Alonso coming back in 2017 pushing thirty-seven years old. Seriously?
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Spectoremg wrote:Alonso coming back in 2017 pushing thirty-seven years old. Seriously?

Schumacher did it, Prost did it, Mansell did it, Hakkinen almost did it. It's not inconceivable.
#FreeGonzo
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Also he'd be 35 at Australia 2017, and 36 by the end of the year.
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Rob Dylan wrote:Also he'd be 35 at Australia 2017, and 36 by the end of the year.
Apologies re the maths, that's still old for a comeback.
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

I didn't doubt for a second there'd be some stats inbound. I should have said SUCCESSFUL comeback - he's making up the numbers now, I doubt he'd want to come back to that.
Schumacher: Made up the numbers.
Prost: Came back in a Williams that was probably one of the best F1 cars of modern times.
Mansell: Are we talking Marlboro/McLaren/Mansell - the fat bloke who can't fit in the car?
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

Simtek wrote:
Spectoremg wrote:Alonso coming back in 2017 pushing thirty-seven years old. Seriously?

Schumacher did it, Prost did it, Mansell did it, Hakkinen almost did it. It's not inconceivable.

Because Schumacher's come-back was so successful...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Spectoremg wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote:Also he'd be 35 at Australia 2017, and 36 by the end of the year.
Apologies re the maths, that's still old for a comeback.

But I still have more interesting things to say :vergne:
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Spectoremg wrote:I didn't doubt for a second there'd be some stats inbound. I should have said SUCCESSFUL comeback - he's making up the numbers now, I doubt he'd want to come back to that.
Schumacher: Made up the numbers.
Prost: Came back in a Williams that was probably one of the best F1 cars of modern times.
Mansell: Are we talking Marlboro/McLaren/Mansell - the fat bloke who can't fit in the car?

In that case I forgot to mention Niki Lauda ;)
#FreeGonzo
mario

Post by mario »

good_Ralf wrote:Vettel out, Alonso gets a friggin puncture, Merc 1 second up on everyone else. That was a little unexpected.

Wow, once again a driver who works wonders with his car all season looks set to bomb in the last race, maybe this is foreshadowing towards a dire 2016?

To be honest, it was a case of both driver and team cocking that one up.

In that situation, surely the most conservative course of action should have been to continue the lap, rather than aborting it? I would not have thought that there would be much of a benefit in tyre life to aborting the lap, and the team should have known from the morning session and from the other drivers that the softer compound was offering an improvement in lap times of around 1-1.5s at a time when Vettel arguably had only around 0.5s to play with.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Spectoremg wrote:I didn't doubt for a second there'd be some stats inbound. I should have said SUCCESSFUL comeback - he's making up the numbers now, I doubt he'd want to come back to that.

Ahh yes, the one who won the 1994 Australian Grand Prix (but only because Schumacher hit the wall and took out Hill) as part of his Williams comeback...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

dr-baker wrote:

Ahh yes, the one who won the 1994 Australian Grand Prix (but only because Schumacher hit the wall and took out Hill) as part of his Williams comeback...

I'm well aware of that flash in the pan.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

This is the problem with F1. This guy.

Anyway Bottas out of the pitbox and hits Button. Yeesh
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

I look at this track and I think to myself how awesome would be it be on drive on it.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I'm not too big a fan of the Abu Dhabi circuit, it's had a lot of stinker races in its short history (2013 <cough>), but that race was pretty all right. If the general standard of races there continue like that, I may hate the track less over the coming years.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

After all the action-packed races, it was weirdly nice to have one made for a longer attention span.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the wet tee shirt contest on the podium. Dr Baker, I think you have a new lady to pursue ;)
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Aguaman wrote:Image

He is just another F1 fan. He is entitled to have his opinion. I am not even sure if he is such an influence because I think that the regulars there are mostly those who are already looking forward in belonging to a fan club. My problem with him is that he tries, hard, to be something he isn't, which is being professional, a journalist and an expert. I loved how he tried to join the F1 expert club by, among others, exchanging opinions with Saward only to be made to look like a fool. I used to find quite a few comments of his there. Not so much lately. Besides, I am sure that he has already been targeted by Joe Saward in one of his "monkeys with typewriters" rants.

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed the race. Pity that the MG Midget team wasn't up to it and ended up making the WDC 4th place a dud. There were plenty of other fights with Ricciardo ending up agonizingly close of overtaking his team-mate in the points table. How Grosjean put his personal battle with rookie Verstappen to bed and how Alonso has completely given up. Plenty of things to see and even some good overtakings. I am well aware that the fact that I have not seen a race in a while made me enjoy it more than otherwise. Perhaps this could be a way to go. Reducing the number of races might make those who are now used to have a race every other weekend to appreciate more what comes their way and complain a bit less. Not to say they should stop complaining, but this panic reaction from the powers that be to shut up complaints is only making it worse.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

DanielPT wrote:
Aguaman wrote:Image

He is just another F1 fan. He is entitled to have his opinion. I am not even sure if he is such an influence because I think that the regulars there are mostly those who are already looking forward in belonging to a fan club. My problem with him is that he tries, hard, to be something he isn't, which is being professional, a journalist and an expert. I loved how he tried to join the F1 expert club by, among others, exchanging opinions with Saward only to be made to look like a fool. I used to find quite a few comments of his there. Not so much lately. Besides, I am sure that he has already been targeted by Joe Saward in one of his "monkeys with typewriters" rants.

It's not so much Collantine himself, but what he represents - that horrible rose-tinted glasses outlook on F1 and how everything would be better if we just turned back the clock on the regulations, conveniently missing out the fact that you can't expect the paddock to just forget the last 30 years of aerodynamics advances. Such loudmouths only serve to dilute the messages the FIA are receiving from the fans.

Also it doesn't help that these sort of people in his position are all willing to throw their credibility as a professional pundit/commentator/what have you under the bus just for a cheap shot at Maldonado, sometimes when he hasn't even done anything.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Spectoremg wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

I'm well aware of that flash in the pan.

Nigel Mansell is a flasher?!?!? :o

AustralianStig wrote:I'm surprised no one has mentioned the wet tee shirt contest on the podium. Dr Baker, I think you have a new lady to pursue ;)

Haven't had the opportunity to watch the podium yet. GP failed to record; watched highlights; currently trying to download race on BBC iPlayer on slow connection...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

dr-baker wrote:Nigel Mansell is a flasher?!?!? :o

That image isn't actually that bad than I thought.