BRDC Formula One Championship

Archive for the three above subforums
Aislabie

BRDC Formula One Championship

Post by Aislabie »

With Jolyon Palmer set to become the 161st British Formula One driver, and with ten Britons having won sixteen Championships between them, this series will imagine that it was the BRDC, and not the FIA, which created Formula One, and that all non-British drivers were excluded from the Championship. No Senna, no Prost, no Schumacher, no Vettel; who will win all those titles instead?
- - -
Rules that I shall be applying:
  1. On the off-chance that a British driver competed in one, I will not be including the Indianapolis 500.
  2. I will use the 10-6-4-3-2-1 points system throughout, and all races will count towards the championship.
  3. Only drivers who finish the race will earn points; no prizes for being the second-last man standing.
- - -
BRDC Formula One Champions:
1950: Peter Whitehead
1951: Reg Parnell
1952: Mike Hawthorn
1953: Mike Hawthorn
1954: Mike Hawthorn
1955: Stirling Moss
1956: Stirling Moss
1957: Stirling Moss
1958: Mike Hawthorn
1959: Tony Brooks
1960: Innes Ireland
1961: Jim Clark
1962: Graham Hill
1963: Jim Clark
1964: Graham Hill
1965: Jim Clark
1966: John Surtees
1967: Jim Clark
1968: Graham Hill
1969: Jackie Stewart
1970: Jackie Stewart
1971: Jackie Stewart
1972: Jackie Stewart

Most Titles:
4) Jim Clark, Mike Hawthorn, Jackie Stewart
3) Stirling Moss, Graham Hill
1) Various
Last edited by Aislabie on 15 Jun 2016, 21:16, edited 24 times in total.
tommykl

Re: BRDC Formula One World Championship

Post by tommykl »

I've done many of these in my day, so I always like seeing new ideas :)

Really, the only thing I'd recommend you do is check past threads to make sure no one's beaten you to doing the same championship.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Aislabie

1950 BRDC Formula One Championship

Post by Aislabie »

1950: Peter Whitehead

British Grand Prix
1) Reg Parnell --- 2:14:15.6 (10)

2) Bob Gerard --- + 2 laps (6)
3) Cuth Harrison --- +2 laps (4)
4) David Hampshire --- +5 laps (3)
5) Joe Fry & Brian Shawe-Taylor --- + 6 laps (1x2)
DNF) David Murray, Geoffrey Crossley, Peter Walker, Tony Rolt, Leslie Johnson

After qualifying first of the Championship drivers, Reg Parnell drove without alarm for over two hours to secure victory in the inaugural BRDC Grand Prix. Peter Walker and Leslie Johnson, who qualified second and third, both retired within the first five laps. Gerard therefore inherited second place and Harrison third, while a slew of others also retired from the race. Fry and Shawe-Taylor's shared ride means that they share the points for finishing in fifth place. The Grand Prix itself was won by non-Championship driver Giuseppe Farina.

Monaco Grand Prix
1) Bob Gerard --- 94 laps (10)

DNF) Cuth Harrison, Peter Whitehead

With only three Championship drivers choosing to compete, this would always be a damp squib, and it was all the more so when both Harrison and Whitehead retired on Lap 1. After that, all Gerard had to do was point it in the right direction all the way to the finish, while non-Championship driver Juan Manuel Fangio ran away with the Grand Prix.

Swiss Grand Prix
DNQ) Peter Whitehead, Reg Parnell

Very little is to be said of this Grand Prix, where neither British driver entered attempted to qualify for the race. Nino Farina went on to become the non-Championship winner of the Grand Prix.

Belgian Grand Prix
1) Geoffrey Crossley --- 30 laps (10)

With only one Championship entrant - Geoffrey Crossley's Alta - he needed only to keep it circulating to the finish, which he did. The non-Championship winner was Fangio, five laps down the road.

French Grand Prix
1) Peter Whitehead --- 61 laps (10)

DNF) Reg Parnell, David Hampshire

Despite qualifying third of the three Championship entrants, Peter Whitehead was handed the victory on a silver platter, thanks to all six Maserati-powered cars (including both Parnell and Hampshire) suffering engine failures within the first 14 laps of the race.

Italian Grand Prix
1) Peter Whitehead --- 72 laps (10)

DNF) David Murray, Cuth Harrison
DNQ) Reg Parnell

After qualifying first of the Championship entrants, the Championship title was suddenly Whitehead's to lose. Despite finishing last of seven in the Grand Prix, the six cars to finish above him were piloted by non-Championship drivers; Murray's Maserati and Harrison's ERA had both suffered mechanical failures during the race. Nino Farina was the non-Championship winner of the Grand Prix.

Final Standings
1) Peter Whitehead --- 20 points

2) Bob Gerard --- 16 points
3) Reg Parnell --- 10 points
=) Geoffrey Crossley --- 10 points
5) Cuth Harrison --- 4 points
6) David Hampshire --- 3 points
7) Brian Shawe-Taylor --- 1 point
=) Joe Fry --- 1 point
NC) David Murray, Leslie Johnson, Peter Walker, Tony Rolt

As Peter Whitehead defeated eleven other British challengers to become the first ever BRDC Formula One Champion, the organisation declared the inaugural Championship to be a qualified success; Francis Curzon described it as "exciting to see the Championship go down to the final Grand Prix, even if events like the Swiss Grand Prix must be avoided in future. Soon, we should see Championship drivers also winning Grands Prix."

He also defended the decision to exclude non-Grand Prix races (such as the Richmond Trophy, Empire Trophy, Jersey Road Race, Nottingham Trophy and Ulster Trophy) in the Championship, despite them being well-contested by British drivers: "We could not claim to run an elite Championship if we included non-elite races," he said.
Last edited by Aislabie on 21 Feb 2016, 22:39, edited 1 time in total.
Aislabie

Re: BRDC Formula One Championship

Post by Aislabie »

While I was away, the internet connection wasn't good enough for me to make posts like that ^^^ (I tried, and it dropped me when I was 95% through the 1951 review (which was pretty boring anyway, as not many Britons finished GPs that year)). On the bright side, I could peruse Wikipedia, so I have this Championship done up to 1965, and another Championship done from 1978 to the present day that I may also share with you.

I will edit 1951 into this post tomorrow, if I get time, rather than double-posting it.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Aislabie wrote:While I was away, the internet connection wasn't good enough for me to make posts like that ^^^ (I tried, and it dropped me when I was 95% through the 1951 review (which was pretty boring anyway, as not many Britons finished GPs that year)). On the bright side, I could peruse Wikipedia, so I have this Championship done up to 1965, and another Championship done from 1978 to the present day that I may also share with you.

I will edit 1951 into this post tomorrow, if I get time, rather than double-posting it.

Sometimes, if I know I'm going to do long posts, I type them out in a Word document, then copy-and-paste it over so I don't lose what I've typed (particularly for my MasterCard Lola post!). It preserves the work you've put in, and gives you the chance to double-check your work. (Not that it stops me making the occasional mistake).
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Aislabie

1951 BRDC Formula One Championship

Post by Aislabie »

1951: Reg Parnell

Swiss Grand Prix
1) Stirling Moss --- 40 laps (10)

DNF) Peter Whitehead, George Abecassis

Stirling Moss qualified behind Peter Whitehead, but inherited the win from the Ferrari driver when he crashed out on lap 36; Abecassis had suffered a car failure earlier in the race. Juan Manuel Fangio took the non-Championship Grand Prix win.

Belgian Grand Prix
DNQ) Reg Parnell

The only Championship driver entered for the Grand Prix opted not to compete; Fangio won the non-Championship race.

French Grand Prix
1) Reg Parnell --- 73 laps (10)

DNF) Peter Whitehead

After Whitehead's engine gave out on the very first lap of the race, Parnell needed only to make it to the end. He did, while a shared drive from Fagioli and Fangio won the non-Championship race.

British Grand Prix
1. Reg Parnell --- 85 laps (10)

2. Peter Walker --- + 1 lap (6)
3. Brian Shawe-Taylor --- +1 lap (4)
4. Peter Whitehead --- + 2 laps (3)
5. Bob Gerard --- + 3 laps (2)
6. Duncan Hamilton --- + 4 laps (1)
DNF) Philip Frotheringham-Parker, David Murray, John James

Walker and Parnell failed to set a lap time in qualifying, and were to start on the back row of the Grand Prix grid in 19th and 20th respectively. Walker made up several places, only to be out-done by Parnell, who won his second Championship race of the season. The non-Championship race was an Argentine 1-2, with Jose Froilan Gonzalez finishing ahead of Fangio.

German Grand Prix
DNF) Duncan Hamilton
DNQ) David Murray

The Championship race was over on lap 12 when Hamilton suffered an oil failure. Alberto Ascari won the non-Championship race.

Italian Grand Prix
DNF) Peter Whitehead
DNS) Reg Parnell, Ken Richardson

This Championship race was over even sooner, with Parnell and Richardson not starting the race, and Peter Whitehead's car failing just one lap into the race.

Spanish Grand Prix
No British racers.

Parnell and Whitehead both withdrew before the weekend started, leaving the Grand Prix to occur as a completely non-Championship race. It was another Argentine 1-2, Fangio winning from Gonzalez.

Final Standings
1) Reg Parnell --- 20 points

2) Stirling Moss --- 10 points
3) Peter Walker --- 6 points
4) Brian Shawe-Taylor --- 4 points
5) Peter Whitehead --- 3 points
6) Bob Gerard --- 2 points
7) Duncan Hamilton --- 1 point
NC) George Abecassis, Philip Frotheringham-Parker, David Murray, John James, Ken Richardson

This year, it was Reg Parnell who defeated all other British racers to become the Formula One Champion. He expressed his disappointment at having won the title in such anti-climactic fashion: "While I am delighted to accept this accolade," he told the Daily Whatever newspaper, "having four races without a Championship finisher cannot be good for our competition. We must hope for greater participation next year."

(Spoiler alert, next year is better.)
Last edited by Aislabie on 25 Feb 2016, 19:05, edited 2 times in total.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Aislabie wrote:While I was away, the internet connection wasn't good enough for me to make posts like that ^^^ (I tried, and it dropped me when I was 95% through the 1951 review (which was pretty boring anyway, as not many Britons finished GPs that year)). On the bright side, I could peruse Wikipedia, so I have this Championship done up to 1965, and another Championship done from 1978 to the present day that I may also share with you.

Indeed, the site is not doing extremely well at the moment, but steps are being taken to fix these problems.

Also, this is looking very promising, looking forward to the results :)
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Aislabie wrote:He also defended the decision to exclude non-Grand Prix races (such as the Richmond Trophy, Empire Trophy, Jersey Road Race, Nottingham Trophy and Ulster Trophy) in the Championship, despite them being well-contested by British drivers: "We could not claim to run an elite Championship if we included non-elite races," he said.

The RAC did kind of go out of their way to get those races recognised on the FIA International Calendar for 1950 :P
#FreeGonzo
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Simtek wrote:
Aislabie wrote:He also defended the decision to exclude non-Grand Prix races (such as the Richmond Trophy, Empire Trophy, Jersey Road Race, Nottingham Trophy and Ulster Trophy) in the Championship, despite them being well-contested by British drivers: "We could not claim to run an elite Championship if we included non-elite races," he said.

The RAC did kind of go out of their way to get those races recognised on the FIA International Calendar for 1950 :P

I know, and it might have been better to include the British ones from a British jingoistic perspective, but it would have been a pain to try to arbitrate which non-Championship events did and did not get included. This is how many British non-Championship events there were each year:
1950 - 8 // 1951 - 5 // 1952 - 12 // 1953 - 19 // 1954 - 13 // 1955 - 10 // 1956 - 7 // 1957 - 2 // 1958 - 3 // 1959 - 5 // 1960 - 5 // 1961 - 7 // 1962 - 8 // 1963 - 5 // 1964 - 4 // 1965 - 3 // 1966 - 2 // 1967 - 4 // 1968 - 3 // 1969 - 3 // 1970 - 3 // 1971 - 5 // 1972 - 4 // 1973 - 2 // 1974 - 2 // 1975 - 2 // 1976 - 2 // 1977 - 1 // 1978 - 1 // 1979 - 2

So as you see, to include some but not others would be arbitrary; to include all of them would just be an enormous effort (I'm looking at you 1953, although it would stop **REDACTED** from running away with the title quite so hugely)
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Aislabie wrote:
Simtek wrote:

I know, and it might have been better to include the British ones from a British jingoistic perspective, but it would have been a pain to try to arbitrate which non-Championship events did and did not get included. This is how many British non-Championship events there were each year:
1950 - 8 // 1951 - 5 // 1952 - 12 // 1953 - 19 // 1954 - 13 // 1955 - 10 // 1956 - 7 // 1957 - 2 // 1958 - 3 // 1959 - 5 // 1960 - 5 // 1961 - 7 // 1962 - 8 // 1963 - 5 // 1964 - 4 // 1965 - 3 // 1966 - 2 // 1967 - 4 // 1968 - 3 // 1969 - 3 // 1970 - 3 // 1971 - 5 // 1972 - 4 // 1973 - 2 // 1974 - 2 // 1975 - 2 // 1976 - 2 // 1977 - 1 // 1978 - 1 // 1979 - 2

So as you see, to include some but not others would be arbitrary; to include all of them would just be an enormous effort (I'm looking at you 1953, although it would stop **REDACTED** from running away with the title quite so hugely)

I suppose for 1952-53 you could exclude any races that were held to F1 regulations, though that would require a bit of research. It has given me the idea of doing a championship consisting entirely of British, Empire and Commonwealth F1 races and open to all drivers; I've even done a number of seasons (with... strange results. Try and work out who wins in 1995!), but I have four alternate championships on the go at the moment, so maybe I'll leave that idea to somebody else...

Anyway, enough of my pointless rambling, I look forward to future seasons! :)
#FreeGonzo
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Simtek wrote:I have four alternate championships on the go at the moment, so maybe I'll leave that idea to somebody else...

Anyway, enough of my pointless rambling, I look forward to future seasons! :)

I feel like a lightweight now - I only have two on the go; one for British drivers only, and one for Ferrari, McLaren and Williams drivers only starting in 1978 (I'm going to start that thread tomorrow; already have them done up to present day)

I was also thinking of doing a street circuits championship, but would be shocked if nobody has done it before.

Anyhow, future seasons, yes - probably won't be one of these ones until Thursday, as next season will be a big old pile o' prose
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Aislabie wrote:I was also thinking of doing a street circuits championship, but would be shocked if nobody has done it before.

I have been around these parts a while now, and I don't recall anybody doing that off the top of my head. It's a good idea!

Aislabie wrote:I feel like a lightweight now - I only have two on the go; one for British drivers only, and one for Ferrari, McLaren and Williams drivers only starting in 1978 (I'm going to start that thread tomorrow; already have them done up to present day)

Please, please, please don not feel like a lightweight for that reason. I sometimes struggled to keep up to date with my one alternative championship (the car numbers one). It is better to have a few quality ideas that you are able to keep up to date than have a ton of ideas that you don't bother to follow up with afterwards.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Aislabie

1952 BRDC Formula One Championship

Post by Aislabie »

1952: Mike Hawthorn

Swiss Grand Prix
1) Ken Wharton --- 60 laps (10)

2) Alan Brown --- +1 lap (6)
3) Eric Brandon --- +5 laps (4)
DNF) Stirling Moss, Lance Macklin, Peter Collins, George Abecassis

After Britain's top qualifier Peter Collins' car failed early in the race, his three HWM-Alta team-mates also ceased running; Abecassis with the same failure, Moss and Macklin withdrawing before it could happen to them. It was then left to Britain's fifth-fastest driver to inherit the Championship victory, with Taruffi winning the non-Championship Grand Prix.

Belgian Grand Prix
1) Mike Hawthorn --- 35 laps (10)

2) Alan Brown --- +1 lap (6)
3) Eric Brandon --- +2 laps (4)
4) Lance Macklin --- +3 laps (3)
DNF) Robin Montgomerie-Charrington, Ken Wharton, Peter Collins, Stirling Moss

Stirling Moss' engine malfunction on the opening lap was probably the highlight of the Championship race, as the British drivers finished in the same order they qualified, minus retirement. Alberto Ascari stood on the top step of an all-Italian, all-Ferrari podium for non-Championship.

French Grand Prix
1) Peter Collins --- 70 laps (10)

2) Lance Macklin --- +? (6)
DNF) Mike Hawthorn, Peter Whitehead

Collins and Macklin finished in the order they qualified, once Hawthorn (ignition) and Whitehead (clutch) had retired from the running. Meanwhile, Ascari topped another all-Italian, all-Ferrari non-Championship podium.

British Grand Prix
1) Mike Hawthorn --- 83 laps (10)

2) Dennis Poore --- +? (6)
3) Eric Thompson --- +1 lap (4)
4) Reg Parnell --- +1 lap (3)
5) Roy Salvadori --- +1 lap (2)
6) Ken Downing --- +1 lap (1)
7) Peter Whitehead --- +2 laps
8) Graham Whitehead --- +3 laps
9) Lance Macklin --- +4 laps
10) Kenneth McAlpine --- +4 laps
11) Eric Brandon --- +7 laps
12) Tony Crook --- +8 laps
13) Alan Brown --- +14 laps
DNF) Peter Collins, Duncan Hamilton, Stirling Moss, David Murray
DNS) Bill Aston

Mike Hawthorn drove his way onto the Grand Prix podium, and to a Championship victory, with a Stirling effort that saw him out-perform the other seventeen British drivers present. To take the win, he had to overtake both Downing and Parnell, which he duly did. Elsewhere, Ascari took the Grand Prix victory, while Bill Aston and Alan Brown put in Life-affirming performances by qualifying 1:38 off the pace, and finishing the Grand Prix 16 laps down respectively.

German Grand Prix
DNF) Bill Aston
DNS) Peter Collins

When Collins' engine sputtered and died, Aston could have been on for a surprise win... until his car gave up the ghost too. Ascari won yet another Grand Prix.

Dutch Grand Prix
1) Mike Hawthorn --- 88 laps (10)

2) Duncan Hamilton --- +3 laps (6)
3) Lance Macklin --- +4 laps (4)
DNF) Ken Wharton, Stirling Moss, Ken Downing

As Ascari was topping another tedious all-Italian Ferrari podium, it was Hawthorn who clinched the Championship with a fine drive to fourth. The other Britons couldn't get near him all weekend. Also, Stirling Moss retired again, but he really very nearly made it to the end this time.

Italian Grand Prix
1) Ken Wharton --- 76 laps (10)

2) Dennis Poore --- +2 laps (6)
3) Eric Brandon --- +3 laps (4)
4) Alan Brown --- +8 laps (3)
DNF) Stirling Moss, Mike Hawthorn, Kenneth McAlpine
DNQ) Peter Collins, Peter Whitehead, Bill Aston, Lance Macklin

Ken Wharton snatched an impressive second place in the Championship with a disciplined drive at Monza once Champion-elect Hawthorn had DNF'd. Stirling Moss, onto something like his nineteenth team of the season, again failed to complete the race distance. Oh, and Gonzalez gatecrashed the Ferrari podium, which was still topped by Ascari.

Final Standings
1) Mike Hawthorn --- 30 points

2) Ken Wharton --- 20 points
3) Alan Brown --- 15 points
4) Lance Macklin --- 13 points
5) Eric Brandon --- 12 points
6) Dennis Poore --- 12 points
7) Peter Collins --- 10 points
8) Duncan Hamilton --- 6 points
9) Eric Thompson --- 4 points
10) Reg Parnell --- 3 points
11) Roy Salvadori --- 2 points
12) Ken Downing --- 1 point
NC) Peter Whitehead, Graham Whitehead, Kenneth McAlpine, Tony Crook, Stirling Moss, George Abecassis, Bill Aston, Ken Wharton, David Murray, Robin Montgomerie-Charrington

After his maiden Championship Title, Mike Hawthorne expressed his pleasure to the press. "Although I ended up winning by a clear ten points, the title race was far closer than that. I was never safe until the very last race."

However enjoyable the Championship battle was highly entertaining to British spectators, the 1952 Grand Prix season will likely be remembered as one of the most dominant years in racing history for Ferrari, Italy and Alberto Ascari. Nonetheless, Hawthorn's Championship title was front- and back-page news in the UK.
Aislabie

1953 BRDC Formula One Championship

Post by Aislabie »

1953: Mike Hawthorn

Argentine Grand Prix
1) Mike Hawthorn --- 96 laps (10)

2) John Barber --- +6 laps (6)
3) Alan Brown --- +9 laps (4)

An uneventful race, as Hawthorn's Ferrari was several levels above the Coopers driven by Barber and Brown. Ascari won the non-Championship race in a sister Ferrari.

Dutch Grand Prix
1) Mike Hawthorn --- 89 laps (10)

2) Peter Collins --- +5 laps (6)
3) Stirling Moss --- +6 laps (4)
DNF) Kennneth McAlpine, Ken Wharton, Roy Salvadori, Lance Macklin

Again, Hawthorn's Ferrari was profoundly faster than the non-Ferraris driven by his Championship challengers. Again, Ascari won the non-Championship race.

Belgian Grand Prix
1) Mike Hawthorn --- 35 laps (10)

DNF) Lance Macklin, Peter Collins

Bored. Hawthorn. Ascari.

French Grand Prix
1) Mike Hawthorn --- 2:44:18.6 (10)

2) Bob Gerard --- +5 laps (6)
3) Peter Collins --- +8 laps (4)
DNF) Stirling Moss, Ken Wharton, Lance Macklin, Roy Salvadori

This time, Hawthorn won the entire Grand Prix, defeating both his Ferrari team-mates, with the Maseratis between him and them. A top-quality drive.

British Grand Prix
1) Mike Hawthorn --- 87 laps (10)

2) Ken Wharton --- +7 laps (6)
3) Peter Whitehead --- +8 laps (4)
DNF) Jimmy Stewart, Tony Rolt, Alan Brown, Peter Collins, Jack Fairman, Roy Salvadori, Lance Macklin, Ian Stewart, Duncan Hamilton, Bob Gerard, Kenneth McAlpine, Tony Crook

Only three Championship drivers made it to the finish, while a further dozen of them failed to make it. Fifth in the Grand Prix (which was also won by Ascari) was enough for Hawthorn to be many laps clear of his nearest Championship challenger.

German Grand Prix
1) Mike Hawthorn --- 3:04:08.6 (10)

2) Stirling Moss --- +1 lap (6)
3) Rodney Nuckey --- +2 laps (4)
4) Kenneth McAlpine --- +2 laps (3)
DNF) Alan Brown, Roy Salvadori

This time it was Farina who took the non-Championship victory for Ferrari, while Hawthorn romped home many minutes ahead of his Championship rivals (who were not fortunate enough to be driving Ferraris).

Swiss Grand Prix
1) Mike Hawthorn --- 3:03:10.34 (10)

2) Ken Wharton --- +3 laps (6)
DNF) Lance Macklin

With very few Championship entrants, this really was a race for the purists. Hawthorn was on the bottom step of an all-Ferrari; Ascari was back on the top step.

Italian Grand Prix
1) Mike Hawthorn --- 79 laps (10)

2) Alan Brown --- +9 laps (6)
3) Stirling Moss --- +9 laps (4)
DNF) Jack Fairman, Ken Wharton, Kenneth McAlpine, Roy Salvadori, Lance Macklin

This race completes a probably unique clean sweep of Championship wins for Hawthorn, earning him the maximum eighty points. Fangio wins the non-Championship race for Maserati, breaking the Ferrari strangle-hold.

Final Standings
1) Mike Hawthorn --- 80 points

2) Stirling Moss --- 14 points
3) Ken Wharton --- 12 points
4) Alan Brown --- 10 points
=) Peter Collins --- 10 points
6) John Barber --- 6 points
=) Bob Gerard --- 6 points
8) Rodney Nuckey --- 4 points
=) Peter Whitehead --- 4 points
10) Kenneth McAlpine --- 3 points
NC) Roy Salvadori, Lance Macklin, Jimmy Stewart, Tony Rolt, Alan Brown, Jack Fairman, Ian Stewart, Duncan Hamilton, Bob Gerard, Tony Crook

In an Autosport feature on Hawthorn's historic Championship triumph, Ascari described him as "a consistently gifted team-mate, and arguably the finest driver his country has ever had to offer". Many British journalists have sat up and taken note of Formula One for the first time in light of Hawthorn's unprecedented achievements. It may also prompt British teams to invest more heavily in the sport in order to compete on a more even keel with the likes of Ferrari.
Aislabie

1954 BRDC Formula One Championship

Post by Aislabie »

1954: Mike Hawthorn

Argentine Grand Prix
DSQ) Mike Hawthorn

When Hawthorn was disqualified from the race, its relevance to the Championship ended. Fangio won his home Grand Prix.

Belgian Grand Prix
1) Stirling Moss --- 35 laps (10)

2) Mike Hawthorn --- +? (3)

Stirling Moss takes the lead in the Championship, in a race Hawthorn may even have won if he hadn't handed his car over to his Ferrari team-mate. Fangio won this race as well.

French Grand Prix
DNF) Ken Wharton, Roy Salvadori, Lance Macklin, Mike Hawthorn

The last of the four Championship drivers was out of the running by one-third distance. Oh, and Fangio won again.

British Grand Prix
1) Mike Hawthorn --- 2:57:24 (10)

2) Ken Wharton --- +4 laps (6)
3) Bob Gerard --- +5 laps (4)
4) Don Beauman --- +6 laps (3)
5) Leslie Marr --- +8 laps (2)
6) Leslie Thorne --- +12 laps (1)
DNF) Stirling Moss, Bill Whitehouse, Roy Salvadori, Horace Gould, Ron Flockhart, John Riseley-Pritchard, Reg Parnell, Peter Collins, Peter Whitehead, Eric Brandon
DNS) Alan Brown, Rodney Nuckey

Despite innumerable Championship entrants for the home Grand Prix, only seven made it onto the list of finishers (including Horace Gould, listed as a whopping 46 laps down). Another Championship win for Hawthorn, while Fangio was third out of five Argentinians in the race; one of them was the Grand Prix winner, Jose Froilan Gonzalez.

German Grand Prix
1) Mike Hawthorn --- 3:47:22.3 (5)

DNF) Mike Hawthorn's other car, Stirling Moss
DNS) Ken Wharton

After three laps, the Championship race was all over... until Jose Froilan Gonzalez's car emerged from a pit stop with Hawthorn at the helm. He claims half-points, and very nearly a Grand Prix win, as he chased down Fangio - but it was another win for the Grand Prix legend.

Swiss Grand Prix
1) Ken Wharton --- 64 laps (10)

DNF) Mike Hawthorn, Stirling Moss

Ken Wharton inherited the ten points after first Moss, then Hawthorn retired from the front of the British trio, while Fangio won the Grand Prix.

Italian Grand Prix
1) Mike Hawthorn --- 79 laps (10)

2) Peter Collins --- +4 laps (6)
3) Stirling Moss --- +8 laps (4)

The Championship race was no real contest, and the entire Grand Prix was one where cars tended to be split by laps, and not seconds. Another win for Fangio.

Spanish Grand Prix
1) Mike Hawthorn --- 3:13:52.1 (10)

2) Ken Wharton --- +6 laps (6)
DNF) Stirling Moss
DNS) Peter Collins

Mike Hawthorn won not only the Championship in his Ferrari, but also the Grand Prix race. A good day all-round for him.

Final Standings
1) Mike Hawthorn --- 38 points

2) Ken Wharton --- 22 points
3) Stirling Moss --- 14 points
4) Peter Collins --- 6 points
5) Bob Gerard --- 4 points
6) Don Beauman --- 3 points
7) Leslie Marr --- 2 points
8) Leslie Thorne --- 1 point
NC) Bill Whitehouse, Roy Salvadori, Horace Gould, Ron Flockhart, John Riseley-Pritchard, Reg Parnell, Peter Whitehead, Eric Brandon, Alan Brown, Rodney Nuckey
Aislabie

1955 BRDC Formula One Championship

Post by Aislabie »

Damn it's been a long time since I updated this...

1955: Stirling Moss

Race winners:
  • Argentine Grand Prix: Stiring Moss (shared drive)
  • Monaco Grand Prix: Stirling Moss
  • Belgian Grand Prix: Stirling Moss
  • Dutch Grand Prix: Stirling Moss
  • British Grand Prix: Stirling Moss
  • Italian Grand Prix: Mike Hawthorn

A very dominant display from Stirling Moss sees him quite close to full points, although he was inarguably helped by the unreliability of his competition:

Final Standings
1) Stirling Moss --- 43.33 points

2) Mike Hawthorn --- 19 points
3) Lance Macklin --- 4 points
4) Ken Wharton --- 1.5 points
NC) Horace Gould, Peter Collins, Peter Walker, Ken McAlpine, Roy Salvadori, Leslie Marr, Tony Rolt, Ted Whiteaway, Jack Fairman
Aislabie

1956 BRDC Formula One Championship

Post by Aislabie »

1956: Stirling Moss

Race Winners:
  • Argentine Grand Prix: Mike Hawthorn
  • Monaco Grand Prix: Stirling Moss
  • Belgian Grand Prix: Peter Collins
  • French Grand Prix: Peter Collins
  • British Grand Prix: Peter Collins (shared drive)
  • German Grand Prix: Stirling Moss
  • Italian Grand Prix: Stirling Moss

Final Standings:
1) Stirling Moss --- 42 points

2) Peter Collins --- 31 points
3) Mike Hawthorn --- 12 points
4) Jack Fairman --- 9 points
5) Horace Gould --- 8 points
6) Ron Flockhart --- 4 points
7) Bob Gerard --- 3 points
8) Roy Salvadori --- 2 points
NC) Bruce Halford, Desmond Titterington, Tony Brooks, Archie Scott-Brown, Paul Emery, Colin Chapman
Aislabie

1957 BRDC Formula One Championship

Post by Aislabie »

1957: Stirling Moss

Race Winners:
  • Argentine Grand Prix - Peter Collins (Shared drive)
  • Monaco Grand Prix - Tony Brooks
  • French Grand Prix - Peter Collins
  • British Grand Prix - Tony Brooks & Stirling Moss (Shared drive)
  • German Grand Prix - Mike Hawthorn
  • Pescara Grand Prix - Stirling Moss
  • Italian Grand Prix - Stirling Moss

Final Standings:
1) Stirling Moss --- 35 points

2) Mike Hawthorn --- 28 points
3) Peter Collins --- 21.33 points
4) Tony Brooks --- 17 points
5) Stuart Lewis-Evans --- 13 points
6) Roy Salvadori --- 3 points
=) Horace Gould --- 3 points
8) Bruce Halford --- 2 points
=) Bob Gerard --- 2 points
=) Mike MacDowel --- 2 points
11) Brian Naylor --- 1 point
NC) Ivor Bueb, Ron Flockhart, Jack Fairman
Aislabie

1958 BRDC Formula One Championship

Post by Aislabie »

1958: Mike Hawthorn

Race Winners:
  • Argentine Grand Prix - Stirling Moss
  • Monaco Grand Prix - Peter Collins
  • Dutch Grand Prix - Stirling Moss
  • Belgian Grand Prix - Tony Brooks
  • French Grand Prix- Mike Hawthorn
  • British Grand Prix - Peter Collins
  • German Grand Prix - Tony Brooks
  • Portuguese Grand Prix - Stirling Moss
  • Italian Grand Prix - Tony Brooks
  • Moroccan Grand Prix - Stirling Moss

Final Standings:
1) Mike Hawthorn --- 50 points
2) Stirling Moss --- 46 points
3) Roy Salvadori --- 32 points
=) Tony Brooks --- 32 points
5) Peter Collins --- 24 points
6) Cliff Allison --- 19 points
7) Stuart Lewis-Evans --- 11 points
8) Horace Gould --- 4 points
=) Graham Hill --- 4 points
=) Ian Burgess --- 4 points
11) Tony Marsh --- 3 points
=) Jack Fairman --- 3 points
13) Ivor Bueb --- 1 point
NC) Ron Flockhart, Alan Stacey, Dick Gibson, Brian Naylor, Tom Bridger, Paul Emery, Bernie Ecclestone

This easily would have been the best season so far, if it were not for Peter Collins tragically losing his life at the Nurburgring. This cut short not only his life, but also a strong Championship challenge.
Aislabie

1959 BRDC Formula One Championship

Post by Aislabie »

1959: Tony Brooks

Race Winners:
  • Monaco Grand Prix - Tony Brooks
  • Dutch Grand Prix - Innes Ireland
  • French Grand Prix - Tony Brooks
  • British Grand Prix - Stirling Moss
  • German Grand Prix - Tony Brooks
  • Portuguese Grand Prix - Stirling Moss
  • Italian Grand Prix - Stirling Moss
  • United States Grand Prix - Tony Brooks

Final Standings:
1) Tony Brooks --- 43 points
2) Stirling Moss --- 30 points
3) Roy Salvadori --- 18 points
4) Innes Ireland --- 16 points
5) Ron Flockhart --- 13 points
6) Cliff Allison --- 10 points
7) Graham Hill --- 9 points
8) Ian Burgess --- 8 points
9) Alan Stacey --- 4 points
=) Colin Davis --- 4 points
11) Chris Bristow --- 2 points
12) Henry Taylor --- 1 point
NC) Peter Ashdown, Ivor Bueb, Jack Fairman, Bruce Halford, Brian Naylor, David Piper, Mike Taylor, Bill Moss, Keith Greene, Mike Parkes, Trevor Taylor, Dennis Taylor, Tim Parnell

So many drivers, so few finishers. Tony Brooks wins his first Championship, with Stirling Moss registering his fourth runner-up finish, to go with three Championnships. Of course, the season was clouded by the tragic demise of Mike Hawthorn before the season began, leaving an undefended title.
Aislabie

1960 BRDC Formula One Championship

Post by Aislabie »

1960: Innes Ireland

Race Winners:
  • Argentine Grand Prix - Cliff Allison
  • Monaco Grand Prix - Stirling Moss
  • Dutch Grand Prix - Innes Ireland
  • Belgian Grand Prix - Graham Hill
  • French Grand Prix - Henry Taylor
  • British Grand Prix - John Surtees
  • Portuguese Grand Prix - Jim Clark
  • Italian Grand Prix - No finishers
  • United States Grand Prix - Stirling Moss

Final Standings:
1) Innes Ireland --- 36 points
2) Stirling Moss --- 27 points
3) Jim Clark --- 24 points
4) Graham Hill --- 20 points
5) Henry Taylor --- 19 points
6) Tony Brooks --- 16 points
7) Cliff Allison --- 10 points
=) John Surtees --- 10 points
9) Roy Salvadori --- 4 points
=) Ron Flockhart --- 4 points
11) Bruce Halford --- 2 points
=) David Piper --- 2 points
13) Ian Burgess --- 1 point
=) Brian Naylor --- 1 point
NC) Alan Stacey, Chris Bristow, Jack Fairman, Keith Greene, Vic Wilson, Arthur Owen, Mike Taylor, Horace Gould

1960 saw a remarkable Championship season that was yet again overshadowed by tragedy. Even as the first six races saw six different winners, the double fatality of Alan Stacey and Chris Bristow within five laps of Spa-Francorchamps hit the Championship drivers hard. Nonetheless, this was a constantly fluctuating season eventually won by the most consistent driver: Innes Ireland.

What can I say; it's a Bank Holiday, it's raining, and I've little to do but churn out several seasons of this Championship.
Aislabie

1961 BRDC Formula One Championship

Post by Aislabie »

1961: Jim Clark

Race Winners:
  • Monaco Grand Prix - Stirling Moss
  • Dutch Grand Prix - Jim Clark
  • Belgian Grand Prix - John Surtees
  • French Grand Prix - Jim Clark
  • British Grand Prix - Roy Salvadori
  • German Grand Prix - Stirling Moss
  • Italian Grand Prix - Jackie Lewis
  • United States Grand Prix - Innes Ireland

Final Standings:
1) Jim Clark --- 35 points
2) Stirling Moss --- 32 points
3) Tony Brooks --- 23 points
4) Roy Salvadori --- 22 points
5) John Surtees --- 21 points
6) Innes Ireland --- 20 points
7) Jackie Lewis --- 17 points
8) Graham Hill --- 14 points
9) Cliff Allison --- 6 points
10) Ian Burgess --- 5 points
11) Henry Taylor --- 4 points
12) Tim Parnell --- 3 points
13) Keith Greene --- 2 points
14) Trevor Taylor --- 1 point
NC) Tony Marsh, Gerry Ashmore, Jack Fairman, Brian Naylor

Another thrilling season ends with Stirling Moss in second place, this time trailing Jim Clark. They were the only two men to win more than one race, as we once again see six different race winners.
Aislabie

1962 BRDC Formula One Championship

Post by Aislabie »

1962: Graham Hill

Race Winners:
  • Dutch Grand Prix - Graham Hill
  • Monaco Grand Prix - John Surtees
  • Belgian Grand Prix - Jim Clark
  • French Grand Prix - John Surtees
  • British Grand Prix - Jim Clark
  • German Grand Prix - Graham Hill
  • Italian Grand Prix - Graham Hill
  • United States Grand Prix - Jim Clark
  • South African Grand Prix - Graham Hill

Final Standings:
1) Graham Hill --- 66 points
2) Jim Clark --- 37 points
3) John Surtees --- 36 points
4) Trevor Taylor --- 21 points
5) Innes Ireland --- 10 points
6) Jackie Lewis --- 6 points
7) Ian Burgess --- 4 points
8) John Campbell-Jones --- 2 points
NC) Roy Salvadori, Keith Greene, Gerry Ashmore

There were fewer competitors this year, and the eventual winner of the Championship was not the fastest eligible driver. On many occasions, Jim Clark qualified on pole but failed to finish the race distance. Graham Hill, meanwhile, combined responsible driving with bulletproof reliability to top the table.
Aislabie

1963 BRDC Formula One Championship

Post by Aislabie »

1963: Jim Clark

Race Winners:
  • Monaco Grand Prix - Graham Hill
  • German Grand Prix - John Surtees
  • Italian Grand Prix - Jim Clark
  • United States Grand Prix - Graham Hill
  • Mexican Grand Prix - Jim Clark
  • South African Grand Prix - Jim Clark

Final Standings:
1) Jim Clark --- 75 points
2) Graham Hill --- 37 points
3) John Surtees --- 32 points
4) Trevor Taylor --- 15 points
5) Innes Ireland --- 10 points
6) Mike Hailwood --- 7 points
7) Bob Anderson --- 5 points
8) Mike Spence --- 2 points
9) John Campbell-Jones --- 1 point
NC) Ian Burgess, Ian Raby, David Prophet, Tim Parnell

First place in this year's Championship quickly became a foregone conclusion, so the most gripping battle was for second. Going into the season finale South African Grand Prix in East London, John Surtees had eked his way to 32 points, while a late charge from Graham Hill had earned him 31 points. Surtees qualified ahead of Hill, and ran just ahead of him on the road. All looked safe until his engine gave up on Lap 43, handing second place in the Championship to Hill.
Aislabie

1964 BRDC Formula One Championship

Post by Aislabie »

1964: Graham Hill

Race Winners:
  • French Grand Prix - Graham Hill
  • Austrian Grand Prix - Bob Anderson
  • Italian Grand Prix - John Surtees
  • Mexican Grand Prix - John Surtees

Final Standings:
1) Graham Hill --- 54 points
2) John Surtees --- 48 points
3) Jim Clark --- 39.5 points
4) Bob Anderson --- 23 points
5) Peter Arundell --- 19 points
6) Innes Ireland --- 17 points
7) Mike Spence --- 16.5 points
8) Mike Hailwood --- 14 points
9) Trevor Taylor --- 8 points
NC) John Taylor, Ian Raby, Richard Attwood

After the British Grand Prix, the Championship could hardly be closer as Graham Hill (35) held a one-point lead over Jim Clark (34). John Surtees was a long way back with just 12 points. However, over the middle of the season it was Surtees who became the main challenger, but Hill did enough to be 13 points clear, and therefore the new Champion, with one race to spare.
Aislabie

1965 BRDC Formula One Championship

Post by Aislabie »

1965: Jim Clark

Race Winners:
  • French Grand Prix - Jim Clark
  • German Grand Prix - Jim Clark
  • Italian Grand Prix - Jackie Stewart
  • Mexican Grand Prix - Mike Spence

Final Standings:
1) Jim Clark --- 62 points
2) Graham Hill --- 53 points
3) Jackie Stewart --- 38 points
4) Mike Spence --- 24 points
5) John Surtees --- 21 points
6) Richard Attwood --- 17 points
7) Innes Ireland --- 6 points
8) Bob Anderson --- 4 points
9) David Prophet --- 1 point
=) Ian Raby --- 1 point
NC) Mike Hailwood, John Rhodes, Alan Robinson, Brian Gubby

Despite being peerless for the opening two thirds of the season, Jim Clark went into the season-ending Mexican Grand Prix under pressure from defending Champion Graham Hill, who was just nine points behind the Championship leader. After eight laps, Clark's engine gave up the ghost, leaving Graham Hill needing only to overtake Mike Spence (and finish the race) to win the Championship. However, he did neither of those things, as he too suffered an engine failure. It left Spence free to win the race, and Clark free to win the Championship.
Aislabie

1966 BRDC Formula One Championship

Post by Aislabie »

1966: John Surtees

Race Winners:
  • Monaco Grand Prix - Jackie Stewart
  • Belgian Grand Prix - John Surtees
  • French Grand Prix - Mike Parkes
  • British Grand Prix - Graham Hill
  • Dutch Grand Prix - Graham Hill
  • Italian Grand Prix - Mike Parkes
  • Mexican Grand Prix - John Surtees

Final Standings
1) John Surtees - 36 points
2) Graham Hill - 32 points
3) Jim Clark - 22 points
4) Mike Parkes - 20 points
5) Jackie Stewart - 18 points
6) Peter Arundell - 16 points
7) Mike Spence - 9 points
=) John Taylor - 9 points
9) Bob Anderson - 8 points
10) Chris Irwin - 4 points
11) Chris Lawrence - 2 points
NC) Innes Ireland, Trevor Taylor, Piers Courage, Alan Rees

A spate of poor reliability meant that the first double points scorer was Graham Hill, who took his second points finish with a win at Brands Hatch. He also went on to secure his place as the first double-winner at Zandvoort, and became the front-runner for this year's Championship. However, it proved to be that a late charge from John Surtees was decisive, as he claimed 26 points in the last four races to take an unlikely Championship win.
Aislabie

1967 BRDC Formula One Championship

Post by Aislabie »

1967: Jim Clark

Race Winners:
  • South African Grand Prix - John Surtees
  • Belgian Grand Prix - Jackie Stewart
  • French Grand Prix - Jackie Stewart
  • Canadian Grand Prix - Graham Hill
  • Italian Grand Prix - John Surtees
  • Mexican Grand Prix - Jim Clark

Final Standings:
1) Jim Clark --- 50 points
2) John Surtees --- 42 points
3) Mike Spence --- 29 points
4) Graham Hill --- 26 points
5) Jackie Stewart --- 20 points
6) Chris Irwin --- 17 points
7) Bob Anderson --- 11 points
8) David Hobbs --- 9 points
9) Mike Parkes --- 6 points
=) Alan Rees --- 6 points
=) Jackie Oliver --- 6 points
12) Richard Attwood --- 3 points
=) Jonathan Williams --- 3 points
14) Brian Hart --- 1 point
NC) Piers Courage, Brian Redman

After three races, the season looked set to be the closest yet, with the three greats of the era (Clark, Hill and Surtees) all sharing the lead, with Mike Spence one point down, and Bob Anderson one point further back. Absolutely nobody was out of the hunt, least of all Jackie Stewart, who delivered on his potential to win the next two races. With three races left, things were still implausibly close: Surtees led on 26, with five drivers (Clark, 24; Spence, 21; Hill, 20; Stewart, 20; Irwin, 17) all within a single win of the leader. The perfect finale looked to be on the cards, until Surtees' alternator failed with 12 laps of the USGP to go; he therefore conceded a 4-point lead to Clark, the only man still in the hunt; but it wouldn't have mattered, as Clark won the final race in Mexico, and the Championship.
Aislabie

1968 BRDC Formula One Championship

Post by Aislabie »

1968: Graham Hill

Race Winners:
  • Spanish Grand Prix - Graham Hill
  • Belgian Grand Prix - Jackie Stewart
  • Dutch Grand Prix - Jackie Stewart
  • French Grand Prix - John Surtees
  • British Grand Prix - John Surtees
  • German Grand Prix - Jackie Stewart
  • Italian Grand Prix - Piers Courage
  • Canadian Grand Prix - Graham Hill
  • United States Grand Prix - Jackie Stewart
  • Mexican Grand Prix - Graham Hill

Final Standings:
1) Graham Hill --- 62 points
2) Jackie Stewart --- 60 points
3) John Surtees --- 28 points
4) Piers Courage --- 21 points
5) Jackie Oliver --- 18 points
6) Richard Attwood --- 16 points
7) Vic Elford --- 13 points
8) Jim Clark --- 10 points
9) Brian Redman --- 6 points
NC) Derek Bell, Mike Spence, Robin Widdows, David Hobbs

Just as Jim Clark looked set to challenge for his first back-to-back titles and his record-breaking fifth Championship, he tragically lost his life in a Formula Two race. With his greatest challenger gone, the rest of the season proved to be little more than a victory parade for Hill... or at least it was until Jackie Stewart got back behind the wheel of his Matra. Then, further still into the season, John Surtees started finishing races. And winning them. And suddenly, the Championship was (briefly) a three-horse race. With two races to go, in America and Mexico, Hill and Stewart were tied at the top on 46 points each, and were the last two left in the hunt. Stewart won at Watkins Glen, but Hill was second to keep things close as they headed to Mexico City. In Mexico, Hill turned the tables, but this time Jackie Oliver crucially separated the two rivals to secure Hill's third title, bringing him level with Stirling Moss.
Aislabie

1969 BRDC Formula One Championship

Post by Aislabie »

1969: Jackie Stewart

Race Winners:
  • South African Grand Prix - Jackie Stewart
  • Spanish Grand Prix - Jackie Stewart
  • British Grand Prix - Jackie Stewart
  • Canadian Grand Prix - No finishers (of 6)
  • United States Grand Prix - Piers Courage
  • Mexican Grand Prix - Jackie Stewart

Final Standings:
1) Jackie Stewart --- 80 points
2) Graham Hill --- 39 points
3) John Surtees --- 29 points
4) Piers Courage --- 21 points
5) Vic Elford --- 16 points
6) Jackie Oliver --- 10 points
7) Richard Attwood --- 8 points
8) Peter Westwood --- 3 points
9) John Miles --- 2 points
NC) Derek Bell

This was the most dominant season in many years, as Jackie Stewart won all of the opening eight races except Monaco, where he qualified on pole before his halfshaft failed on lap 22 of the race. Rather unfortunately, former Champion Graham Hill broke both his legs at Watkins Glen, but promised to return to Formula One.
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

1970: Jackie Stewart

Race Winners:
  • Belgian Grand Prix - No finishers (of 6)
  • French Grand Prix - John Miles
  • British Grand Prix - Graham Hill
  • Austrian Grand Prix - Jackie Oliver
  • Canadian Grand Prix - John Surtees
  • United States Grand Prix - Derek Bell
  • Mexican Grand Prix - Jackie Oliver

Final Standings:
1) Jackie Stewart --- 46 points
2) Graham Hill --- 41 points
3) John Surtees --- 32 points
4) Peter Gethin --- 24 points
5) Jackie Oliver --- 23 points
6) John Miles --- 20 points
7) Derek Bell --- 10 points
8) Piers Courage --- 6 points
NC) Brian Redman, Peter Westbury

Despite Jackie Stewart's dominant start to the season, Graham Hill was able to keep within touching distance for quite some time, thanks to numerous podium finishes and wins when Stewart failed to make the race distance. After the British Grand Prix, Hill was a single point clear, and that was how it remained until next one of the two drivers finished a race, Jackie Stewart winning the Italian Grand Prix. Hill came back with four points in Canada (despite being twelve laps back). With one race left, there was everything still to play for. Rather typically, the season was decided by reliability as both drivers retired, gifting Stewart the title. Full credit to Peter Gethin, who recorded four second-places, but no wins.

Tragedy also struck once again, as the highly respected Piers Courage died at Zandvoort.
Aislabie

1971 BRDC Formula One Championship

Post by Aislabie »

1971: Jackie Stewart

Race Winners:
  • Dutch Grand Prix - John Surtees
  • Austrian Grand Prix - Graham Hill
  • Italian Grand Prix - Peter Gethin
  • Canadian Grand Prix - Jackie Stewart

Final Standings:
1) Jackie Stewart --- 84 points
2) John Surtees --- 45 points
3) Peter Gethin --- 35 points
4) Graham Hill --- 30 points
5) Jackie Oliver --- 10 points
6) Mike Hailwood --- 8 points
7) Mike Beuttler --- 6 points
=) Brian Redman --- 6 points
9) Vic Elrond --- 3 points
=) David Hobbs --- 3 points
NC) Chris Craft, Derek Bell

The highlight of the season was undoubtedly the win, by less than two tenths from Mike Hailwood, of the Italian Grand Prix by Peter Gethin. However, it was the high point of a rather flat season, which was made so by the consummate dominance of Jackie Stewart. So great was his form and consistency that he broke the long-standing points record set in Mike Hawthorn's legendary "perfect season". This was undoubtedly one of the greatest achievements in the history of motor racing.
Aislabie

1972 BRDC Formula One Championship

Post by Aislabie »

1972: Jackie Stewart

Race Winners:
  • Argentine Grand Prix - Jackie Stewart
  • South African Grand Prix - Graham Hill
  • Spanish Grand Prix - Graham Hill
  • Beligian Grand Prix - Mike Hailwood
  • German Grand Prix - Brian Redman
  • Austrian Grand Prix - Mike Hailwood
  • Italian Grand Prix - Mike Hailwood
  • Canadian Grand Prix - Jackie Stewart

Final Standings:
1) Jackie Stewart --- 69 points
2) Graham Hill --- 51 points
3) Mike Hailwood --- 39 points
4) Mike Beuttler --- 26 points
5) Brian Redman --- 20 points
6) Peter Gethin --- 14 points
NC) Derek Bell, Jackie Oliver, John Surtees

The 1972 season was one of woeful reliability, with just four finishers across the first three Grands Prix. Three races were in fact won by the last car standing, a statistic which may be possibly unique. After that, though, the action picked up and the season developed into an intriguing title battle between Jackie Stewart, Mike Hailwood and the veteran Graham Hill. However, every time they got close, Stewart was able to pull away from the pack with a well-timed victory or two.

Jackie Stewart becomes the first Briton to win four back-to-back titles.