Reject of the year 2000, 2001 and 2002??

The place for discussion of all aspects of the gprejects.com website
SuperAguri
Site Donor
Site Donor

Reject of the year 2000, 2001 and 2002??

Post by SuperAguri »

I've emailed Jamie and Enoch a few times asking if they one day do a retrospect look at these seasons and do a Reject of the Year for them as they do seem rather missing from the seasons, but like calling that cute girl you met in a club a few nights ago, they won't return my calls.

It would just make it a bit complete and it would be interesting to see if in 2000 Jean Alesi would get ROTY for finishing basically last below Gastón Mazzacane and if there was the current point scoring he would have been the *only* driver to score zero points!. :D
<@Ataxia> these people are making a mess of their crepe suzettes
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Re: Reject of the year 2000, 2001 and 2002??

Post by eytl »

We did award ROTY for 2000, 2001 and 2002 - although there's no link to the 2000 Season Review in the Reject Centrale section.

2000 ROTY was Alexander Wurz.
2001 ROTY was Jenson Button.
2002 ROTY was Alex Yoong.
Kuwashima
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by Kuwashima »

Indeed, for more see links here:

http://www.f1rejects.com/centrale/2001/ ... .html#roty
http://www.f1rejects.com/centrale/2002/ ... .html#roty

In fact, you even get a reject of the year podium!!

The 2000 Podium was Bronze - Mazzacane [Originally posted Sato], Silver - Diniz, Gold - Wurz. So Enoch - why didn't we go for Alesi? I see looking back we ranked him 19th out of 22.

This is what you wrote in the Season Review (which is not online for various reasons [mostly that it contained tonnes of photos we had to take down!]):
Love him or hate him, you have to feel sorry for Jean Alesi. He is as passionate about his job as he has ever been, but after leaving the stagnant Sauber outfit for what he hoped would be a successful reunion with Alain Prost, one could excuse him for losing interest altogether. Perhaps we could question his blind faith in Prost's ability to turn the troublesome relationship with Peugeot around, just as we could question Jacques Villeneuve's blind faith in Craig Pollock last year.

Rather like Fisichella at Benetton, once Alesi found that his 2000 prospects were slim, he lost his competitive edge, although in Jean's case that realisation probably came before the cars went to Melbourne. That he only out-qualified team-mate Heidfeld 9-8 all season reflects poorly on the French-Sicilian, especially when many pundits claim that he is as fast behind the wheel as he ever was. Time and time again he drove as competitively as possible come Sunday, fully expecting his car to fail him, which more often than not it did.

At least he had two shining moments whereas Heidfeld had none. Alesi qualified a splendid 7th at Monaco, and but for a transmission failure would have come home 2nd. An early stop for slicks catapulted him into the points at Spa, where he might well have stayed had fuel pressure problems not intervened. But then there were also the low points, such as the daft move on Heidfeld in Austria which ended in tears, justifying himself by saying that there should have been team orders which never came.

That Alesi couldn't do anything in the Nurburgring rain says a lot about his car's limits; one of F1's rain-masters, he even had to finish behind Gaston Mazzacane. His season was then summed up at Hockenheim, where he was asked before he race if he wanted rain. He said he wanted more than rain; he wanted thunderbolts, satellites falling out of the sky, anything to help him. Instead, he was sideswiped by Pedro Diniz, resulting in a horror smash. It was a very average season for Jean, but you couldn't blame him.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

I think it would be fun to go back a long way into F1 history to see what we could come up with.
Frentzen127

Post by Frentzen127 »

The 2000 Podium was Bronze - Sato, Silver - Diniz, Gold - Wurz.

I didn't know Takuma had been in F1 since 2000!
I thought he came to smash Jordans to smitherrens in 2002. ;)

I take it you guys meant Salo then?
DEPORTIVO CA... pfft hahaha can't say that with a straight face!
Misses Minardi dearly. :(
Kuwashima
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by Kuwashima »

No, no, not Salo. I had Sato on the brain for some reason. It was Mazzacane. A FAR more likely choice...

The comments on Gaston:
Apologies in advance to all of Gaston's followers, especially in Argentina, but frankly Mazzacane is something of a waste in F1, hogging a seat that probably belongs to someone who deserves to be there more. Brought into the team because of sponsorship from South American cable network PSN (which has since bought a big share in Minardi), Mazzacane was a hark back to the pay-drivers of the mid-1990s, and did little to suggest he should have a place in F1 on merit.

He was well and truly off the pace in qualifying, more often than not over a few tenths slower than Gene, who himself was not having a good year. That in a season where usually a few tenths covered ten spots in midfield. Only four times did Mazzacane not qualify slowest (Brazil, San Marino, Germany, USA), and only at Imola did the Argentine not start from the back row.

But to be fair, Mazzacane did a credible job of keeping the car on the road, finishing 12 races, having mechanical problems in three and spinning off in the other two. In fact, of all drivers this season, he ranked 3rd in most laps covered. Then again, being a pay-driver, he was probably under instructions to bring the car home at all costs, and traditionally pay-drivers can keep a car on the black stuff. The two highlights of Mazzacane's year was a fine 8th in the Nurburgring rain, and the race at Indianapolis, where staying out on wets put him as high as 3rd. Able to stave off Mika Hakkinen for about three laps, he eventually had engine problems having lost time after making a mistake coming into the pits.

Mazzacane's position at Minardi is safe after PSN's increased involvement in the team, but in all honesty he'll have to show a lot of improvement in 2001 before people will start being convinced that he is worthy of a ride in the top league. At the moment the jury isn't even out, despite creditable showings on some occasions.
Kuwashima
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by Kuwashima »

Just for nostalgia's sake - here's the comment on Alex Wurz, our inaugural ROTY. By the way, two things.

1) Anyone remember that Bennetton's 98-00 Supertec engines were badged "Playlife"?? Oh and 2000 was the year of Hidetoshi Mitsusada...
2) Apologies SuperAguri for not returning your calls. Trust me, it's us, not you...

Let's not beat around the bush. Alexander Wurz has the dubious distinction of being our 'Reject of the Year'. If Fisichella was off in fairyland for the last few races, Wurz spent virtually the whole year there. We know he has the pace and the ability; Britain 1997 and the first half of 1998 showed that. But this year, he simply failed to apply himself in what was not too bad a car, and what's worse, after poor performances in 1999 he was already on notice. Perhaps there was something that we don't know about, but from what we could see Wurz seemed like he was only 50% committed (if that) all year.

By and large his qualifying performances were worse than ordinary. Only twice did he make the top 10, with 7th in the last-minute lottery at Hockenheim, and 5th in the last race at Sepang, which left even more question marks hanging in the air. If he could do it then, why not for the rest of the year? Three notably awful qualifying efforts included 20th at Silverstone, where he was only 0.052s faster than Marc Gene, 19th quickest at Barcelona, and 19th at Spa, where he had to give his car up to Fisichella towards the end of the session, and in one lap the Italian was 11th.

Actually, Wurz didn't make that many errors in races, it was just that he did hardly anything good in them. However, there were a few especially laughable moments. There was a more-than-ambitious lunge down the inside of Johnny Herbert at the Nurburgring which took both cars out, followed by the singularly most pathetic moment of 2000, when he tried to pass Jean Alesi at Magny-Cours. There he virtually forgot to brake and drove straight into the final corner gravel trap, even prompting Alesi to give him an 'are you kidding?' hand gesture.

In the end, 5th at Monza was lucky after all the first-lap drama, but he was unfortunate not to score in Malaysia. Indeed, his qualifying brilliance there he put down to having used the team's qualifying car for the first time. Trouble was, it was all too late by then. The worst part is that Wurz hardly seemed annoyed by his underachievement all year, and even having Pat Symonds as his personal race engineer didn't help.
Ben Gilbert

Post by Ben Gilbert »

thehemogoblin wrote:I think it would be fun to go back a long way into F1 history to see what we could come up with.

Could we have attempts at podiums for other seasons?

Here's my podium for 1999 (sorry if this isn't allowed Jamie and Enoch)

3rd- Luca Badoer: The man with officialy, the most races with no points to show for it. This is nothing against Luca himself, but he wasn't really noticed, and neither did his loyalty pay off. He should have got the job as the Shoe Maker's replacement, mid-way through the season, but alas, that place went to the interloping Mika Salo.

It was not a particularly auspicious start of the season for Luca either, injuring himself in a test accident, which paved the way for Stephane Sarrazin's only start. But the clincher, the proof that this man will never score points, and will forevermore be a reject in F1: Euro GP. Running in 4th, after a fine drive in his Minardi, he pulled to the side of the road, with a gearbox failure. His tears spelled the end of his F1 career, in which he deserved thoroughly more than he got for his efforts.

2nd- Jacques Villeneuve: This was a test year for Jacques. New world champion, moves to a team created for him, with the ambition to achieve more. This was his chance to prove that he had the skill to haul a pig of a car into places it shouldn't be, as all champions should be able to do.

Sadly it didn't work out quite as expected. He never made the finish in the first eleven races. Granted that many of these failures were not his fault, and he actually came good in the latter half of the year. Sadly, not good enough to score points, with his highest finish of eighth at Monza. That said, he did outperform his team mate, Zonta, for most of the races, but we'd expect that of a champion. What we wouldn't expect, is a former world champion to be scoring no points just 2 years after winning, because of his, with hindsight, boneheaded move, to a brand new and inexperienced team.

1st- Damon Hill: The second former champion on the podium, takes the crown with his lukewarm attitude to the season. Granted, Villeneuve scored no points all year, but he had a poor car that no one could score points in, though Salo came close. Damon scored 7, in the same car that H-H Frentzen made a bid for the championship in. He should have hung up the keys last year, but carried on due to 2 good results.

For sheer apathy though, I must award Reject of the Year 1999 to Damon Hill. (For full details of his 1999 escapades, go to 'Hang Up The Keys' in the Hall of shame at f1rejects.com)
Cynon wrote:Look further down the field, enjoy the view of the little guys and/or crap drivers in cars too good for them giving their all for a meager result.

Because that's what I thought this forum celebrates the most.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Let's see...

1998:

3rd: Ford JD Zetec-R... I think the cars "powered" by this engine would have been faster with the engines out and the drivers doing it Flintstones-style. 3 teams (Stewart, Tyrrell, Minardi), five points.
2nd: Ricardo Rosset... how do you miss 107% FIVE TIMES in a year?
ROTY: Prost Grand Prix... you have two men who have won races... and you get one point in the entire year. Even worse when one of your drivers was classified in the championship lower than FOUR different F1 rejects (Takagi, Nakano, Tuero, Rosset), including one who missed the 107% cutoff 5 times (Rosset) in the season.
SuperAguri
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by SuperAguri »

Ah I apologise then, I must have been not seeing the Life F1 from the F1 Cars (or woods and trees...).

One season I would love to see a retrospective of is 1990, when you had not 10, not 12, not even 16 but 20 teams trying to Qualify (or for a number a team just trying to Prequalify) and over 40 drivers in the course of the season trying hard to be on the F1 Rejects Website.
<@Ataxia> these people are making a mess of their crepe suzettes
runningboots

Post by runningboots »

I remember, in the San Marino commentary when Gaston was driving for Prost, that Martin Brundle eliquantly put it that "Mazzacane couldn't even drivve a nail into a piece of wood". It's not oftern you hear Brundle being so openly rude.
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

1st- Damon Hill: The second former champion on the podium, takes the crown with his lukewarm attitude to the season. Granted, Villeneuve scored no points all year, but he had a poor car that no one could score points in, though Salo came close. Damon scored 7, in the same car that H-H Frentzen made a bid for the championship in. He should have hung up the keys last year, but carried on due to 2 good results.

For sheer apathy though, I must award Reject of the Year 1999 to Damon Hill. (For full details of his 1999 escapades, go to 'Hang Up The Keys' in the Hall of shame at f1rejects.com)

What I found astonishing about Hill that season is that he still pulled off a decent race when the mood took him. He was 4th at Imola, 5th, and consistently on Frenzen's coattails at Britain, and then out qualified him at Spa and scored a point for 6th. Apathetic is right.