2016 Spanish GP - Reject of the Race

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
DemocalypseNow

2016 Spanish GP - Reject of the Race

Post by DemocalypseNow »

You know the deal. You get two picks, first receives 10pts for biggest screw-up of the day, and 6pts to the second biggest screw-up.

Polling closes Tue 17th May @ 1800 BST!

Biscione's Picks;
1st Lewis Hamilton
2nd TBA
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
FMecha

Re: 2016 Spanish GP - Reject of the Race

Post by FMecha »

1. Mercedes' drivers - no contest.
2. Ricciardo's tire

:)
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
andrew

Post by andrew »

Mercedes driver
Uhh lauda?
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

1st Hamilton - Lazy, should have switched back

2nd the fire marshall - drivers shouldn't be fighting their own fires
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

1. Lewis Hamilton - Yeah, that one was totally on him. Someone needs to remind him of that old saying that a race can't be won on the first lap, but it certainly can be lost.

2. Ferrari and Red Bull strategists - Verstappen won that race purely because he was on the least rubbish strategy. No idea what Ferrari were trying to achieve with Vettel.

Honourable mentions to Daniil Kvyat for doing piss-all this weekend, and Sean Gelael because I''m still astounded at that move in the GP2 race earlier today...
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

I'm holding out to this, because I still want to see what Mercedes do regarding PR.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

Tough one due to 3 contenders for points. One definitely wins for me but second place is tough one-

Honorable mention- Sky Sports- Total British Bias this weekend- How the hell was that Totally Rosberg's fault guys. Then they decided that Rakkionen or Riccardo did not deserve to win and they were 100% wanting Max to win. Surely they shouldn't be cheering on racers instead telling us what is going on??

6 points- Red Bull. They wanted Max to win no matter what and therefore they shoved Riccardo on the poorer Strategy and decided that he would come second even though he out qualified his teammate and my opinion outraced him. Welcome to Number 2 driver Daniel. Mark can tell you all about it.

10 points- Mercedes. Dear oh dear. No matter who's fault it was (I'm leaning towards Hamilton but its 60-40) it is clear that the team has imploded this weekend and this could be the starting point of what is to come for a tougher 2016 and 2017.
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
GerhardTalger

Post by GerhardTalger »

1. Mercedes
2. Ferrari strategists
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

10 - Mercedes F1. lol

6 - Fire Marshal - Faillll

HM - Sky Sports
lance_rambert

Post by lance_rambert »

1st (Shared). Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton - What the bathplug was that, seriously? I am pretty grateful that it produced this wonderful race, but let's not mess around here, that was a very dumb incident caused by two rather impatient goits. Hamilton gets bonus points for being boneheaded enough to attempt to pass ON THE GRASS.

2nd. Sky Sports F1 Broadcasting Team - That was just completely unbearable to listen to. Constant pro-Hamilton bias was aloof, trying to place the blame on Rosberg in whatever way possible. Even Martin Brundle lost a few respect points with me today. I'm not saying anymore because I'd get too salty. That was (now beyond) NBCSN NASCAR tier terrible.

Now just Sky gets the runner up after seeing Nico's post-race interview. That stupid woman should've stop trying to bait Nico into saying more crap for the Hamilton fans to poop themselves over. For bathplugs sake...

HM:

Red Bull's Strategists - Double podium lost, and now conspiracy theories run among the galleries.

Me - Does anyone edit their posts as much as I did?
Last edited by lance_rambert on 15 May 2016, 15:31, edited 6 times in total.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

1. The strategists of Red Bull and Ferrari, for being wrong about which strategy was better and making the winner unrelated to talent
2. Hamilton, for going into a closing wedge instead of just going left, indirectly letting me be so angry about Verstappen winning instead of Vettel
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

10 points - Mercedes
A double Lap One DNF, and an engine failure for Hulkenberg's Force India as well.

6 points - the fire martial that gave up and just handed over his extinguisher for Hulkenberg to put out his own engine.

Honourable mentions: various strategists, Manor, Rio Haryanto ("get him out of the way, he thinks he's quick but he's not").
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

Lewis Hamilton - A three time world champion should know better than trying to pass on the grass.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
Dom_Wings

Post by Dom_Wings »

1. Mercedes - WTF?
2. The fire marshals - Are they supposed to be fire marshals when they cannot even extinguish a fire properly?

HM. Sean Gelael in GP2 - Started from pit lane due to some quali shenanigans, then caught speeding in the pit lane, the next race made a mess out of Giovinazzi.
Join the GPR Discord server! https://discord.com/invite/6YDQ3aV
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

1. Lewis Hamilton - Nothing to add, really...
2. Conspiracy theorists in the Spanish GP thread - Seriously :facepalm:
#FreeGonzo
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

1. Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team: HAHAHAHAHA! :lol: :P
2. Placido Domingo: Gave the win to a totally unknown driver, Marcus Verstappen. Nice of him to remember Ericsson, though. ;)
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

1st. Lewis Hamilton: "I'm going to try my usual tactic of trying to bully other drivers into getting out of my way instead of learning to overtake properly."

2nd. Lewis Hamilton: Can I give him 16 points cos I don't like him?

Proper 2nd: The Stewarts: Pre-empting - I'll bet they'll reprimand Rosberg for not leaving enough room because technically speaking Lewis had his nose in. Although nose level with rear tyres isn't what any rational person would consider proper overlap.
Last edited by Enforcer on 15 May 2016, 14:24, edited 1 time in total.
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

1. Ricciardo. Why? He yoloed too much on Vettel and loses a chance to win. Not that I complain he yoloed though.
2. Button for complaining for Haryanto. Look IndyCar and WEC. What is blue flags?
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

1. Mercedes. Dumb move from Lewis, dumb defence from Rosberg. You can't expect to leave zero room on the inside and not to suffer consequences. No one would have attempted that sort of defence 20 years ago. Same goes for Hamilton. If you leave a small margin it won't end in tears. You think Alonso would have attempted either that attack or defence? Of course not. Both as bad as each other there.

2. Raikkonen. For making no attempt to pass Verstappen at all, Ricciardo showed how it was done.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

FMecha wrote:1. Mercedes' drivers - no contest.
2. Ricciardo's tire

What he said. Any time I say "that's a slam-dunk Reject Of The Race" while the race is on gets my ten points, which the Merc drivers do for their hitting-each-other incident.

Dan's tyre can have another 6 points even though it didn't drop him out the points as I thought it might.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
girry

Post by girry »

I dislike the Mercedes guys a lot, but I don't think they deserve the ROTR here. That was BOUND to happen if the guys race each other for the title for 40 races (although their record of being fine with pushing each other off in a consistent basis certainly made it even more probable for something like this to occur...)

Therefore
1. The Fire Marshal for sheer comedy value
2. Romain Grosjean - GutiGuti had the upper hand today
HM. Placido Domingo - how many times does he have to make the podium interview to prove he's not really upto it?

AndreaModa wrote:2. Raikkonen. For making no attempt to pass Verstappen at all, Ricciardo showed how it was done.

Yes he did, and it would have ended in tears if not for Vettel's reflexes - certainly lost the race for the duo. I wonder if Kimi had made similar attempts before Ricciardo's divebomb, would the front 4 have been completely inverted...?
when you're dead people start listening
Samster

Post by Samster »

1. Mercedes drivers - I never thought Nico's winning streek would end that way. :P I chuckled for a good couple of minutes at their collision. A racing incident ultimately but a hilarious one at that.

2. Red Bull Whether it was a genuine strategy goof or a manipulation to give golden boy the best possible chance of victory, either way Ricciardo has to be cheesed off at this. Verstappen and Sainz at Red Bull with Ricciardo defecting to Ferrari in 2017? You heard it here first. :P

Mentions

British Bias - I hate British sporting fan bases, trying to pin the majority of the blame on Nico is a classic example of why.

In Hindsight

Golden boy's ego - Don't think you did anything that half the grid couldn't have achieved under the same circumstances. And that includes the poor guy you replaced.

On suicide watch

Daniil Kvyat - If getting demoted wasn't enough of a sting.
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

1. Mercedes - both drivers out at the first lap with a incredibly stupid move, Lauda immediately blaming Hamilton on RTL (no matter who's the one to blame, you just DON'T DEAL THIS WAY WITH THE MATTER ON LIVE TV, at least not so soon), and now Hamilton and Rosberg have to appear in front of the stewards. I've the feeling one of them will leave - and it will be Hamilton.

2. Shared between:
- Red Bull and Ferrari's strategists, for trying to gift each other the race win.
- The marshal and his fire extinguisher misadventure.
- Christian Danner for bragging about Vettel being the "actual race leader", as Max and Kimi would NEVER have lasted on those tires (ignoring the fact Vettel's tyres were only three laps younger, which is almost nothing when it comes to mediums)
Last edited by novitopoli on 15 May 2016, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
tBone

Post by tBone »

1. Lewis Hamilton
2. Nico Rosberg

Why in this order? Because I feel like it was slightly more Lewis' fault than Nico's.
YOUR
LOGO

Here
Dan B

Post by Dan B »

1) Mercedes: This was bound to happen since 2014. While I don't think Rosberg is entirely blameless, Hamilton should've expected what Rosberg was trying to do. This isn't the first time we've seen Rosberg force someone offline (didn't he do it at Bahrain a few years ago?) and should've just waited until the next turn. Ultimately the stewards will have the final say, but if they will apportion blame to anyone (though I personally think it was a(n albeit disastrous) racing incident), it should go to Hamilton.

2) Ferrari's strategist: Who hired the strategist from Williams? Also, Ricciardo's strategy was also pretty bad so that strategist also gets a nomination.

Honorable Mentions:
Marshals: Right, first try to spray on the rear wing on the car instead of the fire, and then give it to the driver to put it out himself. I know most of these guys are volunteers but some better training would be nice.

Ricciardo: I know this seems a bit controversial but he made some pretty desperate lunges at Vettel. I mean sure he tried but it didn't seem like any of those moves were going to work.

Haas: Collision between the two drivers, Grosjean gets damaged and then falls to the back while Gutierrez just falls over to 11th with no fight. Not a good showing.
mario

Post by mario »

AndreaModa wrote:1. Mercedes. Dumb move from Lewis, dumb defence from Rosberg. You can't expect to leave zero room on the inside and not to suffer consequences. No one would have attempted that sort of defence 20 years ago. Same goes for Hamilton. If you leave a small margin it won't end in tears. You think Alonso would have attempted either that attack or defence? Of course not. Both as bad as each other there.

2. Raikkonen. For making no attempt to pass Verstappen at all, Ricciardo showed how it was done.

Although I have only seen the replays (having missed the first half of the race, I must confess), I'd have to agree that neither Rosberg nor Hamilton covered themselves in glory there. Hamilton went for a very aggressive pass when Rosberg's angle across the track was going to push him out, perhaps out of a sense of frustration at being beaten off the line and given that it is notoriously difficult to make a passing move stick around this circuit.

As for Rosberg, the onboard footage suggests that he was looking down into the cockpit, having put the engine in the wrong harvesting mode on the start line, when he began to move towards the right hand side of the track. At the very least, it suggests that Rosberg was momentarily distracted whilst he was fiddling with the MGU-H switch on the steering wheel as he went through Turn 3 and therefore might have unintentionally drifted further across the track than he'd intended because of that.

To be honest, I'm not really sure who else deserves a nomination given that I missed a fair bit of the race, but I guess that Alonso's retirement might go up there simply because it was a shame that his efforts were rewarded with just another early bath.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

1. Rosberg. That wasn't a weave, it was a lunge and was considered 'forcing someone off the track' by the stewards at the last race.
2. Hamilton. He didn't really think he was gonna pull that off did he?
nb. I'm no Lewis fan-boy.

HM: Ferrari. The absence of the Mercedes' flattered you but your cars and your strategy are still nowhere, and Red Bull are challenging.
SeedStriker

Post by SeedStriker »

1) Mercedes: Hamilton too agressive attack + Rosberg too stupid defense = Double DNF

2) Fire Marshall: Comedy moment of the weekend
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

1) The Mercedes drivers for taking each other out.
2) Alonso's car - If it weren't for Sainz, I'd say Fernando would be the unluckiest man in F1 right now.
Last edited by good_Ralf on 15 May 2016, 17:21, edited 1 time in total.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
RedEyes504

Post by RedEyes504 »

Lewis Hamilton - A ridiculous move to attempt on the first lap against your teammate

Romain Grosjean - Outpaced by Gutierrez and generally had a scrappy race
Alexander Wurz is timeless and endless and eternal.
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

10 points - The strategists who thought a 3 stop was better than 2 by going Soft-Med-Soft-Med. If your going to do the 3 stops at least put the softer tyre on at the end to allow a last gasp charge, but if that was the case you would be better with a 2 stop soft-med-soft. Both Vettel and Riccardo's race was ruined by this

6 points: The reason I have not upvoted this higher as although teammates taking each other out is usually a classic 10 pointer, we sort of knew this would happen and it added extra excitement to a normally processional venue. That and Toto Wolff holding fire with the blame, makes me think he realistically knew this was going to happen eventually and is probably surprised its been 3 seasons before it did

HM - the clueless fire marshals. A GP is not a time for a siesta

HM2: the BBC vote on who to blame. The Lewisteria is sickening
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

1 - Mercedes: Nothing more to say.

2 - Haas: The team had a good strategy for the first stint of the race and Spain is well know for being a track which is difficult to pass. Instead of making another long stint with the medium tyres, the team put the soft tyres in both cars too early. Haas threw away points in this race in my point of view.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

1. Race Control
2. Rosberg
Last edited by Normal32 on 15 May 2016, 18:37, edited 1 time in total.
Pasta_maldonado wrote:I think normal32 is an old English farmer re-incarnated
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

1- Mercedes - Rule one of being team mates don't crash into each other

2. Fire Marshall - Its your job to put out the fire
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

1. Race Control - FOR THE LOVE OF GOD... Get the tyres right :facepalm:
2. Tyre Strategists - Well, that was retarded.

HM:
Mercedes - For that. And that only.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

1) Lewis Hamilton. Don't know if he thought that "pass in the grass" maneuver would actually work, but it took out his teammate and prevented Mercedes from going for a clean sweep of every race this year.

2) Ferrari and Red Bull Tire Strategies. For three of the four drivers of the two teams the strategy was a bit wonky. The stops gave Verstappen the boost needed to score the win when Ferrari and Ricciardo had the odds in their favor.

(Dis)honorable Mentions:

Fire Marshall: Kept that section 3 caution on far beyond what should have been a brief incident. At least not much overtaking takes place in that section.

Romain Grosjean: Not to rag on Guti, but Grosjean fell apart in the last half of the race. May have had the chance to pick up more points for Haas if he faired better.

People Blaming Nico Rosberg for the lap 1 crash: This is getting pretty stupid guys. :facepalm:

Kevin Magnussen: Got a bit too aggressive in the final lap. Stewards may have been a bit too harsh though.
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

To the exclusive club that includes those dudes in China last year who couldn't navigate that Toro Rosso (I think) into the pitlane and that guy in Canada who fell over loads of times in front of the oncoming Heidfeld may we welcome the Spanish Fire Marshall who must have been siestering when the actual Fire Marshalling Lessons were being taught.

And, of course, the beloved Mercedes drivers for being inspired by Christian Horners wife attending the race and so launching into their own version of her Spice Girls global smash hit "Two Becomes One" at Turn 4.
Just For One Day...
burwellian

Post by burwellian »

10 - Nico Rosberg. Having his car set to harvest, you'll lose power. As a result, and as mentioned above, that wasn't a weave but a desperate lunge and left his teammate (who was already alongside his rear wheels) nowhere to go but the grass. Only one way that was going to end.

6 - Danii Kvyat. Demoted to the B Team, his replacement winning the race over a lap ahead of him, and he ends up overtaking under the safety car and barely scraping a point, beaten by his team mate Sainz. Not a stellar week for him.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

1. Mercedes GP drivers - forgetting rule #1, don't crash with your team-mate
2. Esteban Gutierrez - Giving easily way for drivers on the same lap, while front-runners had some troubles lapping him.
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

1. Hamilton -- He was an idiot.
2. RoGro -- All I saw from him was terrible stuff
Tread lightly in ARWS. Every decision might be your last.