The 2016 British Grand Prix Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

The 2016 British Grand Prix Thread

Post by WeirdKerr »

Miguel98

Re: The 2016 British Grand Prix Thread

Post by Miguel98 »

No... Just... No. Burn it. With fire. :facepalm:
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

:facepalm: See? There are positives to be found in free F1 coming to an end. I won't be watching that ugly tangle of nonsense.
Just For One Day...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

With Raikkonen being granted another year at Ferrari, and Perez sitting in a Force India for another year, it's the fans who suffer the most. Ferrari might as well keep Raikkonen for the next 5 years, and seeing their current decision-making policies, they probably will. This is Rantbox material I know, but it provides no excitement or intrigue to watch Raikkonen doing a solid 5/10 job at Ferrari every season, whilst promising drivers are wasting the best years of their careers at mediocre midfield teams they appear to have no opportunity to progress from.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Rob Dylan wrote:With Raikkonen being granted another year at Ferrari, and Perez sitting in a Force India for another year, it's the fans who suffer the most. Ferrari might as well keep Raikkonen for the next 5 years, and seeing their current decision-making policies, they probably will. This is Rantbox material I know, but it provides no excitement or intrigue to watch Raikkonen doing a solid 5/10 job at Ferrari every season, whilst promising drivers are wasting the best years of their careers at mediocre midfield teams they appear to have no opportunity to progress from.

Which is why we've had only four new race winners in the last 7 years. And I bet when Ferrari finally recruits another young talent in the mold of Bottas or Perez and we get to see what they can do in top machinery, it'll happen just as the team takes a big dip in form.
BTW I'd rate Kimi's 2016 at least 7/10, a 5/10 is a bit harsh in my view.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
mario

Post by mario »

Things are not going well for Vettel, it seems - he reported over the radio that he thinks he has had a gearbox failure in the final practise session, so it sounds as if he possibly has a penalty heading his way.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Yeah he was gesticulating angrily after he finished his final lap. It was only last race he had a gearbox penalty in qualifying.

In jollier news it looks like the McLarens are actually competitive this weekend! There's no time separating the midfield teams, but at least McLaren are on the up, so to speak.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
mario

Post by mario »

Rob Dylan wrote:Yeah he was gesticulating angrily after he finished his final lap. It was only last race he had a gearbox penalty in qualifying.

In jollier news it looks like the McLarens are actually competitive this weekend! There's no time separating the midfield teams, but at least McLaren are on the up, so to speak.

Honda did mention that they were introducing a new intake system this weekend, and it looks as if it might have had a fairly positive impact - we might well see both drivers make it into the top 10, and it's been a long time since we could say that. If they can continue this rate of improvement over the season - and Honda does still have a reasonable amount of tokens in hand - then they might start to move clear of the midfield teams and begin to claw their way back towards Williams.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

So Vettel will need a new gearbox and ANOTHER 5 place grid drop.

I think some heads may be rolling if this doesn't improve soon.
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

I just do not understand why they left Button in the pits - unless there was a problem with the car. Even for me, as an armchair viewer, it just looked far too dangerous given how far down he was.
lance_rambert

Post by lance_rambert »

Welp, apparently Magnussen went too wide at Stowe(?). That means Button's back in Q2.

...strike that, Button's still out
Last edited by lance_rambert on 09 Jul 2016, 12:35, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

lance_rambert wrote:Welp, apparently Magnussen went too wide at Stowe(?). That means Button's back in Q2.

Although nobody seems to have any clear verdict yet!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Hoping that Ericsson gets to start the race tomorrow after his FP3 crash.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

I'm glad at least that it was a car issue and not a team cock-up for Button. Fingers crossed there's some rain for him tomorrow.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Charlie before qualifying :"There will be zero tolerance regarding track limits during qualifying"

No times disallowed despite numerous track limits violations. :facepalm:
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

lance_rambert wrote:Welp, apparently Magnussen went too wide at Stowe(?). That means Button's back in Q2.

...strike that, Button's still out

that wasn't his fastest lap, so his time remained on the board.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

I'm not going insane, aren't I?

When Hamilton crossed the finish line, the time it showed was -0.052 lower than what Rosberg had previously done.

But when the comparison graphic appeared, Hamilton was 0.312 ahead of Rosberg. Wut?

good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Miguel98 wrote:I'm not going insane, aren't I?

When Hamilton crossed the finish line, the time it showed was -0.052 lower than what Rosberg had previously done.

But when the comparison graphic appeared, Hamilton was 0.312 ahead of Rosberg. Wut?

The time Hamilton's final lap was being compared to was obviously his deleted time.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
mario

Post by mario »

rachel1990 wrote:So Vettel will need a new gearbox and ANOTHER 5 place grid drop.

I think some heads may be rolling if this doesn't improve soon.

Especially when you consider that he'd already made a free gearbox change after his DNF in the Austrian GP, so the one which failed in FP3 had almost no mileage on it at all. That is now the third gearbox penalty he has picked up this season, and he's probably not far off from an engine penalty either given his engine failure in Bahrain (I believe that he is already onto his 5th engine).

Miguel98 wrote:Charlie before qualifying :"There will be zero tolerance regarding track limits during qualifying"

No times disallowed despite numerous track limits violations. :facepalm:

Whiting said that they would be "adopting a ‘zero tolerance’ approach to cars leaving the track at turns 9, 15 and 18 during qualifying." (i.e. Copse, Stowe and Club). Whilst there were instances of drivers exceeding the track limits, they were mainly exceeding the track limits in Luffield - that is why no further action was being taken.

Incidentally, you are also wrong about times not being disallowed - Magnussen, Palmer and Hamilton all had at least one lap time disallowed during qualifying, so the stewards were taking action when drivers did exceed the track limits in those corners.

Paul Hayes wrote:I'm glad at least that it was a car issue and not a team cock-up for Button. Fingers crossed there's some rain for him tomorrow.

And a bit of a nasty issue as well if the rear wing really was beginning to come loose in the middle sector - it's a shame for him that he couldn't get through, but Alonso showed that perhaps there is some light at the end of the tunnel for the team if he did at least manage it.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

So the Ferraris (pending) line up 5th and 11th on the grid whilst the Red Bulls are 3rd and 4th. I get the feeling that the Red Bull pace advantage is beginning to grow, and that Ferrari are going to keep losing pace comparatively.
mario

Post by mario »

Rob Dylan wrote:So the Ferraris (pending) line up 5th and 11th on the grid whilst the Red Bulls are 3rd and 4th. I get the feeling that the Red Bull pace advantage is beginning to grow, and that Ferrari are going to keep losing pace comparatively.

It does seem that Renault's Monaco spec upgrade has nullified much of the power advantage that Ferrari used to be able to rely on - the mechanical problems the team have suffered from have hurt them as well, since the talk is that they're having to detune their engines slightly in order to make them last for long enough.

Renault has a lot more room to play with in terms of performance upgrades too - Ferrari have blown most of their tokens, whilst Renault has the most tokens left of any manufacturer. You'd expect Red Bull to be much more competitive in terms of chassis design than Ferrari has been, given their recent relative records, so I do agree that there is a good chance that Red Bull will begin to pull away from them over the rest of the season.
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

Apparently Rosberg has been summoned to the stewards over taking too long to complete his "slow" lap on one occasion.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/rosbe ... ch-797095/
mario

Post by mario »

Fetzie wrote:Apparently Rosberg has been summoned to the stewards over taking too long to complete his "slow" lap on one occasion.

I suspect that the stewards will only reprimand Rosberg, but it makes you wonder what he was up to on that lap though. It might be understandable to miss the minimum lap time by a small amount of time, but he was more than 40 seconds off the pace - that's a pretty big mistake to make.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

mario wrote:
Fetzie wrote:Apparently Rosberg has been summoned to the stewards over taking too long to complete his "slow" lap on one occasion.

I suspect that the stewards will only reprimand Rosberg, but it makes you wonder what he was up to on that lap though. It might be understandable to miss the minimum lap time by a small amount of time, but he was more than 40 seconds off the pace - that's a pretty big mistake to make.

Nah, it's fine. It wasn't an in-lap or an out-lap so the regulation in question, article 27.5, doesn't apply to this situation.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
mario

Post by mario »

dr-baker wrote:
mario wrote:

Nah, it's fine. It wasn't an in-lap or an out-lap so the regulation in question, article 27.5, doesn't apply to this situation.

To be honest, it is the sort of offence where I feel that you'd really only require a gentle reminder not to do that again rather than any sort of formal action, so overall I think it is a fairly sensible decision.

That said, the clause is surely contradictory if it starts with the words "at no time may a car be driven unnecessarily slowly", only to then focus on in laps and out laps. If the clause applies at all times, then surely it should be irrelevant whether it was an in lap, and out lap or a timed lap - on the other hand, if the clause only applies to in and out laps, then it doesn't apply at all times.

In the end, it does rather make a mockery of the situation - evidently the stewards did initially think that regulation should have applied in those circumstances, only for them to then change their minds - it's an irritatingly badly worded clause, but then again the FIA are masters of that.

Leaving asides the arguments over the regulations, though, I'm just curious why Rosberg backed off quite that much on that lap. Surely backing off quite that much is going to be detrimental to performance, given that it could cause the brakes and tyres to potentially cool down outside of their working range?

When you look at Rosberg's next fast lap after that very slow lap, he ended up 0.75s slower than his best time. Several other drivers (Vettel, Grosjean, Gutierrez, Nasr and Hamilton) all followed a similar strategy - whilst they all failed to improve on their initial flying lap (Gutierrez was closest), most of them managed to get times within 1-2 tenths of their best time.
The data from the other drivers indicates that the strategy wasn't a particularly good one to begin with - although it was colder than expected, the long radius corners with sustained tyre loads makes it reasonably easy to build up tyre temperature, unlike in Austria - but, even then, Rosberg executed it fairly poorly in the first place, making me wonder if he overdid it.
mario

Post by mario »

On some cheerier news, after the precautionary checks that he was subjected to yesterday, Ericsson has now been passed as fit to take part in the race and is now expected to start from the pit lane. http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/erics ... 53295&em=1
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

SC start.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Aww no more Pascal.
RAK

Post by RAK »

Damn. Wehrlein out after his success at Austria.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

Message to Charlie Whiting:

Its annoying the fans and the drivers. And caused too many near missed in the pits. Yes they are unsafe releases but are you surprised about it? What is the point in the wets?
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

Palmer decided he didn't want to wait for his fourth wheel
lance_rambert

Post by lance_rambert »

LOL nice going, Renault. Unsafe release penalty incoming?

...Alonso :facepalm:
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Haryanto spun out and DNF'ed in the last turn, which appears to be still wet. :(
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

So Rosberg might be on the cusp of being disqualified, simply because his team radioed to him how to drive around his gearbox problem to, you know, keep his car in the race and not affect the championship. These radio rules are retarded! :x :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Terrible race for Vettel.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

I'm more over Brundle than anything else in F1
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

To FIA: :facepalm:

IndyCar races more than you in the rain. And we still had the bathplug retardness that was Detroit last year.

Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

Exactly what is the point of full wets when they pull out the safety car whenever they would be warranted?
mario

Post by mario »

Fetzie wrote:Exactly what is the point of full wets when they pull out the safety car whenever they would be warranted?

It does feel as if the FIA have become hyper sensitive on wet weather racing now, to the point where they are now essentially trying to avoid it where possible. I have a feeling that this might be because of Bianchi's accident and the subsequent legal action by his family, which has now lead the FIA to avoid taking the legal responsibility for letting the drivers race in those sorts of conditions in case of an accident.

East Londoner wrote:So Rosberg might be on the cusp of being disqualified, simply because his team radioed to him how to drive around his gearbox problem to, you know, keep his car in the race and not affect the championship. These radio rules are retarded! :x :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Terrible race for Vettel.

It is very, very irritating - we saw Perez'z brakes burn out in Austria because the team weren't allowed to tell him that his brakes were wearing out, given that the FIA didn't deem it to be a "critical" brake issue.

Now, we have seen a situation where there was a relatively quick and simple fix for a gearbox issue that might otherwise put Rosberg out of the race, and yet the team are now having to gamble on the FIA being lenient on them. Whilst it's about time that one team finally decided to test the rules and hopefully force the FIA to take more of a middle ground, it really shouldn't have come to this.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Rosberg being booed by the crowd, even more so as Hamilton and Webber tell them to knock it off. Way to make ourselves look like even bigger jackasses to the world, Britain. :facepalm:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Hey all you Silverstone boo-ers! Not only did we not need another example of f--ktardisity for the nation you kind of proved that the morons who used to boo Vettel around Europe were you lot. Dickheads.
Just For One Day...