One Of The Greats, Chris Amon, Has Left Us

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
CoopsII

One Of The Greats, Chris Amon, Has Left Us

Post by CoopsII »

Just For One Day...
EuroBrun

Re: One Of The Greats, Chris Amon, Has Left Us

Post by EuroBrun »

Too easy to remember him as the unluckiest F1 driver ever. Enzo Ferrari wrote on him: "Excellent tester, one of the finest and elegant driver ever. He was really close to become a real Champion".

RIP
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

He was unlucky not to have won even a single world championship Grand Prix, but he was lucky to survive such a dangerous era for motor racing. This news still comes as a shock though.

RIP Chris Amon, the last of New Zealand's F1 greats from the sixties.
#FreeGonzo
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

I still say the AF101 was one of the prettiest cars ever. RIP Chris.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

I can't believe this. Despite only having ever seen footage from him on youtube, I believe Amon not only had the talent to win a race (his bad luck in Grand Prix racing was something comparable to Andretti luck at the Indy 500), but also to win a title. Probably severelly underrated in driver lists, would definetelly appear in my top 30 drivers of all time list.

RIP Chris. We'll miss you.

To honour Amon, I think I'll try my hand at writing a small article relating Amon's career and achievements, rejects-worthy or not. If everyone is okay with it.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Miguel98 wrote:To honour Amon, I think I'll try my hand at writing a small article relating Amon's career and achievements, rejects-worthy or not. If everyone is okay with it.

I... literally had the same idea :P Then again, I have a Buemi profile to procrastinate over finish.
Miguel98 wrote:(his bad luck in Grand Prix racing was something comparable to Lloyd Ruby's luck at the Indy 500)

Fixed. Mario at least managed to win the thing.
#FreeGonzo
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Simtek wrote:
Miguel98 wrote:To honour Amon, I think I'll try my hand at writing a small article relating Amon's career and achievements, rejects-worthy or not. If everyone is okay with it.

I... literally had the same idea :P Then again, I have a Buemi profile to procrastinate over finish.
Miguel98 wrote:(his bad luck in Grand Prix racing was something comparable to Lloyd Ruby's luck at the Indy 500)

Fixed. Mario at least managed to win the thing.

Cooperation time! :P
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
mario

Post by mario »

EuroBrun wrote:Too easy to remember him as the unluckiest F1 driver ever. Enzo Ferrari wrote on him: "Excellent tester, one of the finest and elegant driver ever. He was really close to become a real Champion".

RIP

Forghieri also spoke very fondly of Amon as well - he similarly praised Amon's abilities as a test driver, saying that he was one of the most sensitive drivers he ever worked with when it came to assessing how a car handled, not to mention incredibly consistent with his feedback and having a gift for telling what needed to be done to a car to extract it's maximum performance.

He also spoke of how Amon was also a very humane and sensitive character off the track as well, saying that he worked tirelessly to improve the team and was very generous and gracious with everybody else. He'd tried very hard to persuade him not to leave in 1970, believing that he would have had a great chance of taking the title that year and feeling very sorry for the fact that he left and allowed Ickx to profit from Amon's hard work over the previous years. It is a great shame that what could and should have been his success never came to pass.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
This Could Be You

RIP Chris Amon

Post by This Could Be You »

Chris Amon (1943-2016) has sadly passed away at the age of 73. A reject team owner while by no means a reject driver (though he never won), F1 has lost another legend.
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
Dom_Wings

Post by Dom_Wings »

RIP
He was unlucky as heck, but he still was successful...

"If he became an undertaker, people would stop dying" - Mario Andretti
Join the GPR Discord server! https://discord.com/invite/6YDQ3aV
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Rest in Peace Chris
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

This Could Be You wrote:Chris Amon (1943-2016) has sadly passed away at the age of 73. A reject team owner while by no means a reject driver (though he never won a championship GP), F1 has lost another legend.

fixed that for you
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

RIP Chris Amon. A relentless worker, even starting his own team in the hope of success. Deserved much more and will be sorely missed.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

RIP Chris. The equal of anyone of his era when the fates allowed. Holds the lap record at the old 8 mile +, Spa circuit; set in 1970, with the otherwise uncompetitive March 701. Also a Le Mans winner, alongside Bruce McLaren in 1966...the only time he completed the race in 8 attempts. He himself claimed he was in fact one of the fortunate ones...to survive a brutally dangerous era and retire to his farm & family in NZ.
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

It was recently discovered Amon's real name was Noatak.

Too soon?
I don't know what i want and i want it now!