The 2016 Belgian Grand Prix thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Ataxia
Not Important

The 2016 Belgian Grand Prix thread

Post by Ataxia »

The break is over! Formula 1 returns this weekend and the Ardennes will serve as the rendezvous point for our favourite circus act.

Race Notes:

- Esteban Ocon will make his full F1 debut with Manor Racing, replacing Rio Haryanto. He will race with the #31.

- Silly season rumbles on; apparently, Sergio Perez and Jenson Button have been spotted at the Williams factory over the summer.

- Mercedes will attempt to delay going over their power unit allocation in Hamilton's car until Monza.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
AdrianBelmonte_

Re: The 2016 Belgian Grand Prix thread

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

In the picture, Haryanto is still there :D
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
IceG

Post by IceG »

Does Ocon inherit Haryanto's tyre choices?
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

IceG wrote:Does Ocon inherit Haryanto's tyre choices?

Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
mario

Post by mario »

IceG wrote:Does Ocon inherit Haryanto's tyre choices?

As Ataxia notes, that is indeed correct - because the choice is made by the team, the choice of tyres is bound to the car instead of the driver (so, in the Spanish GP, Kvyat used Verstappen's original tyre allocation and Verstappen got Kvyat's old allocation). I think that Ocon will also have to use Haryanto's tyre choice for the Italian GP as well, as I think that the teams had to nominate those tyres before the summer break.

The same system also applies to the engines and transmissions that are fitted to the car - those are bound to the car rather than the driver, so Ocon has to use the engines which Haryanto would have had allocated to him before the season.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

If the white-walled tyres had been left unpainted, then the range of tyre options for Belgium would have matched the colours of Belgium's tricolore...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

dr-baker wrote:If the white-walled tyres had been left unpainted, then the range of tyre options for Belgium would have matched the colours of Belgium's tricolore...

What would the forum be without wonderful insights like this one.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Ataxia wrote:- Esteban Ocon will make his full F1 debut with Manor Racing, replacing Rio Haryanto. He will race with the #31.

The greatest of all the back-of-the-grid numbers!

James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

dinizintheoven wrote:
Ataxia wrote:- Esteban Ocon will make his full F1 debut with Manor Racing, replacing Rio Haryanto. He will race with the #31.

The greatest of all the back-of-the-grid numbers!

*lots of reject goodness*

Can't forget about the Lotus 79 Rebaque HR100!

#FreeGonzo
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Hamilton is going to take engine penalties. IIRC, Hamilton will make two engine changes during the weekend, in order not to get any penalties this year.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Rosberg is the leader, Alonso with engine troubles, and Esteban Ocon was 16th and 1 second ahead of Wehrlein (not bad for the #2 driver ;) )
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/belgi ... le-810007/
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

So, Hamilton is facing another 15 grid penalty for changing again his engine. Mercedes found a breach in the rules to make sure his driver is going to have two fresh engines while taking all penalties in just one race, despite being impossible to lose 30 grid positions for the race. Nice job FIA.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Dj_bereta wrote:So, Hamilton is facing another 15 grid penalty for changing again his engine. Mercedes found a breach in the rules to make sure his driver is going to have two fresh engines while taking all penalties in just one race, despite being impossible to lose 30 grid positions for the race. Nice job FIA.

Ive said it before, a 30 place penalty should be just that...... so make him start from 50m before the bus top chicane....or pit lane
mario

Post by mario »

Dj_bereta wrote:So, Hamilton is facing another 15 grid penalty for changing again his engine. Mercedes found a breach in the rules to make sure his driver is going to have two fresh engines while taking all penalties in just one race, despite being impossible to lose 30 grid positions for the race. Nice job FIA.

Mercedes are by no means the first team to do that - given Honda's reliability issues, McLaren took exactly the same approach by fitting multiple sets of all engine components (an even more extreme version than what Mercedes have done with Hamilton, who has just taken new turbocharger and MGU-H units).

Remember, Button racked up a theoretical 70 grid penalty in the 2015 Mexican GP for fitting multiple additional engines, turbochargers and MGU-H and MGU-K units - equally, Ferrari have indicated that they are planning on taking a strategic grid penalty later in the year given that both Vettel and Raikkonen are running low on components (Kimi is on his last MGU-K and Vettel is running low on components after his engine failure in Bahrain). The rule has existed for a while and has been used in exactly that way before - it's just that it is the first time that Mercedes have had to take that route.

golic_2004 wrote:Rosberg is the leader, Alonso with engine troubles, and Esteban Ocon was 16th and 1 second ahead of Wehrlein (not bad for the #2 driver ;) )
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/belgi ... le-810007/

Wehrlein's performance in FP2 is pretty impressive too - he punched quite high above the teams weight to pick up 11th, and it does look as if their low drag aero package is helping them quite a bit. Can we dare hope for a second points finish for Manor this season?
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Hamilton's taken a another new set of engine parts, meaning he now has a 55-place grid penalty. :badoer:

Meanwhile, Esteban Gutierrez has has copped a five-place grid penalty for this brilliant piece of driving in FP3. Truly a shining talent, our Esteban...
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Simtek wrote:
dinizintheoven wrote:The greatest of all the back-of-the-grid numbers!

Can't forget about the Lotus 79 Rebaque HR100!

I didn't forget, I left it out deliberately on the grounds that however rejectfully it was used, it was still a winning car in its original hands.

Kauhsen would have been a much more worthy recipient of the #31 in 1979 - the 1970s F1 equivalent of the Chinese copies of Western cars that look like they've been described down a phone and built on that basis.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dinizintheoven wrote:The greatest of all the back-of-the-grid numbers!

I am just going to disagree and post his here instead.

Imagine the effect it would have on this if someone scored with this number...

And Wehrlein in the top-10 in Q1! Has this ever happened to Manor (or Fondmetal Team Malaysia or HRT Campos) before?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

East Londoner wrote:Meanwhile, Esteban Gutierrez has has copped a five-place grid penalty for this brilliant piece of driving in FP3. Truly a shining talent, our Esteban...

In other words, he's potentially cost himself yet another decent shot at points. If that isn't the case, then his strategy to score his millionth 11th place of the season is, at the moment, going to plan.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Forester

Post by Forester »

dr-baker wrote:And Wehrlein in the top-10 in Q1! Has this ever happened to Manor (or Fondmetal Team Malaysia or HRT Campos) before?

Not sure if there are any others, but GVDG took his Caterham to third in Q1 at the 2013 Belgian GP.

By gambling on slicks on a drying track, but still.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Forester wrote:
dr-baker wrote:And Wehrlein in the top-10 in Q1! Has this ever happened to Manor (or Fondmetal Team Malaysia or HRT Campos) before?

Not sure if there are any others, but GVDG took his Caterham to third in Q1 at the 2013 Belgian GP.

So I assume that this might be the first time in normal weather conditions then.
MCard LOLA
mario

Post by mario »

dr-baker wrote:
Forester wrote:

So I assume that this might be the first time in normal weather conditions then.

Yes, I think that none of those teams were able to drag themselves into the top 10 on pure pace in normal dry conditions.

In some ways. the team are actually quite disappointed that they couldn't manage to make it any further up the grid - Wehrlein used up his allocation of fresh supersoft tyres in Q1, so he was forced to revert to a scrubbed set for that solitary run in Q2 (hence why he was slower in Q2). If he'd been able to replicate his Q1 time, he'd have been 13th on the grid and would have put Magnussen under pressure for 12th - if anything, 15th (due to Gutierrez's penalty) feels like a slightly missed opportunity.

Hopefully, though, the race itself might be a bit more promising for Manor - I imagine that Wehrlein might fancy his chances at passing Sainz and the two Renault drivers, since both drivers are probably going to be vulnerable on the run down to Les Combes, so it will be interesting to see how his race strategy plays out.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

I'm no Hamilton fan, but him having to carve his way through the field ought to make it entertaining today.

I have a sneaky feeling we could see a Verstappen win, though. Not that I don't want Rosberg to score big to keep the title race interesting!
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Would love to see Ricciardo win or Alonso or Rosberg cause championship.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Crazy start. Vettel and Raikkonen.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Grosjean is like 6th. Palmer is up in 10th!!!
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Wow Sainz's car.
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

This is chaos: Sainz's cars disintegrating, Raikkonen on fire and Ocon up to 13th! :shock:
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

The bathplug was Verstappen doing? He was driving like an absolute idiot on the first lap. I'm surprised he didn't wreck the entire field. :facepalm:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
This Could Be You

Wehrlein out. :(
Your Signature Here

Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

So Pascal hit Button.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Oh man...K-Mag.

Limping away.
This Could Be You

The Renault seems to lose control rather easily- this accident is somewhat reminiscent of Palmer at Monaco.
Your Signature Here

Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

I've a nasty feeling that Hamilton's going to win this.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

I hope everyone's ready for another Hamilton win. :pantano:
This Could Be You

Red Flag!
Your Signature Here

Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Red Flag. Expected and correct.
This Could Be You

Arrgh they can do tire changes, so Hulkenburgs advantage is gone and we end up with a HAMILTONWINSLOL probably. :x
Your Signature Here

This Could Be You

Verstappen :facepalm:
Your Signature Here

Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

I love agressive racing and all, but please, Max has taken it too far this race. Ban the damn kid for one race.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
lance_rambert

Post by lance_rambert »

Okay. Max did a d***headed move for the second bathplugging lap in a row, and the FIA forgot to bleep out Kimi that time.

...there goes Palmer pulling out the glass of whine again. :lol: