GP2 Setup Help

The place for spinning interesting fictitious tales, including your virtual racing exploits
Pilot

GP2 Setup Help

Post by Pilot »

Hello!

I was wondering of you guys could help me set up my GP2 for a F4 series I was gonna run. I have GP2 itself working, however I can't get any tracks into the game. I follow instructions and everything and it still doesn't work.

Thank you!
Biscione wrote:Can you stop being such a snowflake for five minutes?
Bobby Doorknobs

Re: GP2 Setup Help

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Pilot8 wrote:Hello!

I was wondering of you guys could help me set up my GP2 for a F4 series I was gonna run. I have GP2 itself working, however I can't get any tracks into the game. I follow instructions and everything and it still doesn't work.

Thank you!

Without being able to see exactly what your GP2 game folder looks like, I'm going to be kind of working in the dark here, so I'm going to say the following:

• Is there a folder in your GP2 directory named "CIRCUITS"?
  • If the answer is yes, that's where you put the .dat file containing the circuit you want to install.
  • Once the .dat file is in the CIRCUITS folder, you have to rename it to "F1CTxx.dat" for it to show up in-game, "xx" being a number from 01 to 16 (it's important that you use two digits for the number).
  • A lot of circuits need to use a specific number, which the author will make note of in the gp2form.txt file that normally comes with most downloaded tracks. This is to prevent any pit lane bugs or other anomalies.

Additional (may not be relevant) information:

Some circuits require you to install additional .jam files for them to work properly. Again, there should be instructions telling you how to install these. They tend to come in the form of .jad files and a file converter to turn them into .jams, but the converters tend not to work on newer systems. Luckily, someone over on grandprix2.de has produced one that should work, which can be found here.

I do hope this helps.
#FreeGonzo
Pilot

Post by Pilot »

I wish it was that easy. However for some reason it doesn't load the track into GP2.
Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

Pilot8 wrote:I wish it was that easy. However for some reason it doesn't load the track into GP2.

Since you are using the normal GP2 I assume, just select the track slot of the track installed (so if you install the track on slot 01, you will select Brazil, slot 02 is Aida, etc.)
Pasta_maldonado wrote:I think normal32 is an old English farmer re-incarnated
Pilot

Post by Pilot »

Normal32 wrote:
Pilot8 wrote:I wish it was that easy. However for some reason it doesn't load the track into GP2.

Since you are using the normal GP2 I assume, just select the track slot of the track installed (so if you install the track on slot 01, you will select Brazil, slot 02 is Aida, etc.)

Wait. The name of the track doesn't change? :o
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

You could use a GP2 Track Manager, such as WinTrackMan (available here, use v1.5) which allows you to change the names and the number of laps for the circuits; it's what I use for my Asian F4 and Virtual BTCC series and it mostly works (it crashes semi-often when run in WINE on Linux, but I guess that won't be a problem.

By the way, what region will your F4 series be based in? (just curious)
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
Pilot

Post by Pilot »

F4 Oceania.

Also, thanks to Simtek/Normal32/Ataxia/Pasta in chat for all the help given to me as the issue is now fixed!